AnsweredShould I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fads
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
2018/07/02 21:39:08 (permalink)

Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum

I have an unlimited upgrade for Sonar Platinum.  Now I see they have sold out to Bandland.  I am kind of confused here as I figure I will have to start upgrading again.  For now it appears to be free.

I am not sure if I should continue to use Sonar Platinum or start using the new free version from bandland.  I can't imagine that a free version from bandland would have all of the features of Sonar Platinum.

Any insight into this is much appreciated.  Thanks

64 bit Windows 8.1 Pro, Intel Core 6 5830K 3.5GHZ 32gb of quad channel ram.  Presonus Firestudio Tube, Sonar Platinum, build x3e
4 hard drives
C: 1 tb SSD Samsung
D: 1 tb WD 7200 rpm
E: 2 tb WD 7200 rpm
Y: 2 tb WD 7200 rpm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQGIeJcGmxU
Billy Buck
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2101
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/02 22:04:16 (permalink)
I would suggest installing and using CbB and keep SPLAT installed as a backup. Also, keeping SPLAT installed means you can continue to use all of it's premium extras/content in CbB as well. As a SPLAT lifetimer, that is what I did and so far it has been working out quite well. CbB has been getting near monthly updates (bug fixes/new features/enhancements), so it almost like a continuation of my SPLAT Lifetime license in that sense. Bandlab seems to be making the right moves in continuing the Cakewalk legacy as well. 

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/02 22:16:18 (permalink)
fads
 I can't imagine that a free version from bandland would have all of the features of Sonar Platinum.

CbB started with the unreleased Platinum 2017-11 and built upon it. Installing CbB without the add-ons is similar to installing the SONAR Platinum core.

CbB does not include most of the plug-ins bundled with Platinum. As a Platinum owner. the plug-in add-ons available for CbB are not necessary (Melodyne 4 Editor trial version, Studio Instruments and Drum Replacer). As recommended above, leave Platinum installed to have access to all the plug-ins and content bundled with Platinum in CbB.

Like Platinum, CbB has a theme editor. It is on the add-on menu in BandLab Assistant.

CbB requires an internet connection to activate. BandLab Assistant is the tool used to install and activate CbB.

CbB installs like an upgrade to SONAR; separate folders for the program, content and config files while updating shared folders. CbB install instructions are here.
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/02 22:29:42 (permalink)
fads,

Use both of them.

Thais what I do, I have Sonar as my main DAW because I liked mixing in it and use a lot of the 3rd party plugins.

i like CBB because of it's new features. So I create in CBB on one computer, export to my Main Studio computer and mix in Sonar Platinum.  The Best of Both worlds !!

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/02 23:56:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/07/04 10:20:51
fads
Now I see they have sold out to Bandland.

I can't sleep. Someone is 'wrong' on the internet.

Gibson shut down Cakewalk, Inc in November 2017. That ceased any development of SONAR and ceased lifetime updates as well.

In March of this year BandLab bought the Cakewalk assts.

The was no "selling out". More like BandLab resurrected the product and is now calling it Cakewalk by BandLab.

CbB (as it is lovingly referred to) is now in early release stages while they transition the customer base to BandLab's ecosphere. Which means you need to create a BandLab account using the same email address that you used in your Cakewalk store account. Why? Because one day CCC will be shut down in lieu of you receiving any transferred over products and assets from Cakewalk, Inc to BandLab.

You must install the BandLab Assistant in order to install CbB (and other assets now and later). You must have online ability for the computers(s) you plan to install on. There is no offline (yet) installation capability. And finally there is no 32bit version of CbB, it's only 64bit and it seems likely it will never be 32bit (but I've been proven wrong before).

Now the good news is anything "Cakewalk, Inc." you have installed from CCC or earlier will continue to work in CbB. So it is wise, for now, to NOT uninstall SONAR Platinum.

HTH
jeremy@cominginsecond.com
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 15:10:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mistergreen 2018/07/14 17:34:35

Jesse G
fads,

Use both of them.

Thais what I do, I have Sonar as my main DAW because I liked mixing in it and use a lot of the 3rd party plugins.

i like CBB because of it's new features. So I create in CBB on one computer, export to my Main Studio computer and mix in Sonar Platinum.  The Best of Both worlds !!

This advice doesn't make sense to me. The two programs are 99.9 percent identical at this point. I don't think most people would want to go to the hassle of using both programs. That's totally cool if this system works for you. I just didn't want to leave the original poster (and any other newbies) with the impression that there are significant differences between the two programs, because, as of now, there really aren't. 

Edited to add: The advice that makes the most sense is to install Sonar Platinum and Cakewalk by Bandlab on the same machine and then use CbB for everything. That way, you get all the third party plugins from Platinum AND you can be using a version that is fully supported and updated AND you don't have to import/export between two different versions of nearly identical software.
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 15:52:21 (permalink)
jeremy@cominginsecond.com

Jesse G
fads,

Use both of them.

This advice doesn't make sense to me. The two programs are 99.9 percent identical at this point. I don't think most people would want to go to the hassle of using both programs. That's totally cool if this system works for you. I just didn't want to leave the original poster (and any other newbies) with the impression that there are significant differences between the two programs, because, as of now, there really aren't. 

Edited to add: The advice that makes the most sense is to install Sonar Platinum and Cakewalk by Bandlab on the same machine and then use CbB for everything. That way, you get all the third party plugins from Platinum AND you can be using a version that is fully supported and updated AND you don't have to import/export between two different versions of nearly identical software.

What he said.

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 16:32:16 (permalink)
At this point I would see no reason to use the older Sonars. 
They just need to be there in the background so you can take advantage of the free stuff they included that is not included with CbB. I removed my X3 and Home studio icons from my desktop.  

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 16:42:20 (permalink)
The only way to know is to try CbB. Compare. Asking others what you should do doesn't make a lot of sense. Only you know what you should do.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 17:36:51 (permalink)
As pointed out, they are they same core program.  I have a windows 7 machine I haven't upgraded yet.  Splat works fine as is and I'm not sure about win 7 long term w/ CbB.  My win 10 machine has both and works fine and I've custom installed from DVD older programs to both SPlat and CbB.
Rick Viola
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 19:08:18 (permalink)
I have Sonar Professional. I just installed Bandlab. Both are working and I don't see anything unusual. Shouldn't I end up with Platinum features as opposed to just Professional? Any known future concerns I should know about?

Home built, Asus Z97-E mb, Intel i7-4790K cpu, 4GHz, Windows 10 Home 64, Asus GTX-750, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, 16GB ram, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AKG Perception 220, Alesis RA-100 and Monitor One's, 
Sonar Professional.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 19:23:21 (permalink)
Yes, CbB has all the features of Platinum and more. Even without adding the Drum Replacer and Theme Editor (these are on the addons menu not automatically installed), features such as VocalSync, MIDI Transform Tool, and several PC Modules including the zoom in Quad Curve EQ are all in CbB. Can't help you with the future.
Rick Viola
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 22:52:34 (permalink)
Thanks, I will look. But so far I see that Rapture and Dimension are still the LE versions and are Pro versions in Platinum. 

Home built, Asus Z97-E mb, Intel i7-4790K cpu, 4GHz, Windows 10 Home 64, Asus GTX-750, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, 16GB ram, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AKG Perception 220, Alesis RA-100 and Monitor One's, 
Sonar Professional.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/03 23:01:21 (permalink)
Rick Viola
Thanks, I will look. But so far I see that Rapture and Dimension are still the LE versions and are Pro versions in Platinum. 

CbB does not include the plug-ins bundled with Platinum. The plug-ins bundled with CbB are documented here. With the exception of addiitonal PC Modules, the plug-ins bundled with CbB are similar to what were included with SONAR Artist. I do not expect to see BandLab versions of DimPro or Rapture. There has been discussion about Rapture Pro but not as a free upgrade.
Rick Viola
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/04 15:08:03 (permalink)
One this that bothers me is, with Sonar downloads from the Command Center, any install file is saved locally in Downloads/Cakewalk. I have archived everything I ever downloaded for Cakewalk. With the Bandlab Assistant, I don't see the install file for Cakewalk saved locally. It probably deletes the temporary file after install.

Sonar Professional.
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/04 16:50:35 (permalink)
I have two files, assistant.exe and cakewalk.exe in
c:/user/yourname/appdata/roaming/bandlab-assistant/downloads

cheers :) 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
Rick Viola
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/06 21:02:44 (permalink)
Once I enabled to see hidden files in Windows 10, that Download folder is empty on my computer. Possibly Privacy Eraser, or History Eraser empties it. 

Sonar Professional.
fads
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/07 14:25:14 (permalink)
Thanks for all of the advice and input.  I guess I will try Bandland.  Just not sure how to get started.  I haven't figured out Sonar yet.

64 bit Windows 8.1 Pro, Intel Core 6 5830K 3.5GHZ 32gb of quad channel ram.  Presonus Firestudio Tube, Sonar Platinum, build x3e
4 hard drives
fads
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/07 16:27:13 (permalink)
I opened up Bandlab for the first time.  It isn't even close to what Sonar looked like.  It seems like a cheap software to me. I am trying to play around with it.  I don't know, I am not too happy that Sonar has gone away.  Now I have to figure all of this out.

4 hard drives
scook
Forum Host
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/07 16:33:05 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby fads 2018/07/07 22:44:58
Maybe you installed the wrong software. In the Apps section of BandLab Assistant there are two products: BandLab and Cakewalk by BandLab. BandLab is not what you want if you are looking for a SONAR replacement. Cakewalk by BandLab is the product built from SONAR Platinum 2018-11 and looks very similar to Platinum. Here are the installation instructions (again).
Billy86
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 362
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/07 16:53:06 (permalink)
scook
Rick Viola

CbB does not include the plug-ins bundled with Platinum. The plug-ins bundled with CbB are documented here. With the exception of addiitonal PC Modules, the plug-ins bundled with CbB are similar to what were included with SONAR Artist. I do not expect to see BandLab versions of DimPro or Rapture. There has been discussion about Rapture Pro but not as a free upgrade.

I also have Sonar Professional and so do not have whatever premium content came with SPLAT. All the plugins I use are third party, all installed in the default VST paths where the various plugs installed themselves. Lots of Waves plugs. Melodyne Assistant, Izotope and such.

If I move to CbB, should it find all those, or should I plan on having to manage VST paths? Thanks so much.

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
scook
Forum Host
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/07 17:09:40 (permalink)
I believe the newer versions of CbB automatically transfer scan path settings if you let the program update from an existing installation. This is recommended when installing CbB. The prompt happens the first time CbB is run and detects an existing SONAR install. Regardless, one should be prepared to review the configuration and compare it to the old installation.

However, if one chooses to remove SONAR before installing CbB, elects not to migrate the existing SONAR configuration or installs CbB on a new machine without an existing SONAR installation, everything will need to be configured from scratch.
fads
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/07 22:46:49 (permalink)
scook
Maybe you installed the wrong software. In the Apps section of BandLab Assistant there are two products: BandLab and Cakewalk by BandLab. BandLab is not what you want if you are looking for a SONAR replacement. Cakewalk by BandLab is the product built from SONAR Platinum 2018-11 and looks very similar to Platinum. Here are the installation instructions (again).

scook

OK, now that makes sense.  Thanks for the information.  I didn't see the instructions, but I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks

4 hard drives
fads
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/07 22:57:38 (permalink)
Great I found it, installing Cakewalk by Bandlab now.

4 hard drives
bluesplayer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/09 20:58:52 (permalink)
Out of curiosity, if I install CbB, can I then later uninstall either SPlat or CbB WITHOUT mucking the install of the other, including not mucking up other installed add-ins/add-on's.  Obviously I'm not including SPlat add-ins/ons that CbB "points to" and uses but for which SPALT has full install control over. 
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/09 21:38:09 (permalink)
I've stil been using Producer X3 even though I have CbBL installed... should I go ahead a pull the trigger and start using bandlab?
I just don't feel right because it stil feels like "free software" while X3 still feels like paid software

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
arlen2133
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/09 21:43:32 (permalink)
bluesplayer
Out of curiosity, if I install CbB, can I then later uninstall either SPlat or CbB WITHOUT mucking the install of the other, including not mucking up other installed add-ins/add-on's.  Obviously I'm not including SPlat add-ins/ons that CbB "points to" and uses but for which SPALT has full install control over. 

Don't uninstall SPlat.. CbBL and SPlat CAN Co-exist...

davdud101
I've stil been using Producer X3 even though I have CbBL installed... should I go ahead a pull the trigger and start using bandlab?
I just don't feel right because it stil feels like "free software" while X3 still feels like paid software

X3 is old software... CbBL is miles ahead of X3.  Don't get fooled into thinking that Cakewalk by Bandlab is just some run of the mill free software... Just because it's free to you doesn't mean someone else paid for it (Meng)..

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/09 22:20:52 (permalink)
bluesplayer
Out of curiosity, if I install CbB, can I then later uninstall either SPlat or CbB WITHOUT mucking the install of the other,

It has been some time since I have read the initial notice installers would display when running an upgrade. The message used to contain a caution about uninstalling previous versions after upgrading. This is because all versions of SONAR and CbB share utilities. Uninstalling any version may result in removing the utilities for all versions left installed. Plan on reinstalling the version you want to use after running the uninstall process to remove unwanted versions.
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/10 03:12:23 (permalink)
Good call arlen!! I made the switch just this evening and WOW! No issues, full compatibility, all the same great features from SONAR but just.. better!!
Still need some time to look over all the new features. At any rate, far les crashing, smoother and more beautiful look... I'm excited!

Now the only hope is that BandLab doesnt screw us over with some shifty stuff...

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
arlen2133
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/10 20:15:12 (permalink)
davdud101
Good call arlen!! I made the switch just this evening and WOW! No issues, full compatibility, all the same great features from SONAR but just.. better!!
Still need some time to look over all the new features. At any rate, far les crashing, smoother and more beautiful look... I'm excited!

Now the only hope is that BandLab doesnt screw us over with some shifty stuff...

Glad you're on board David!  Yeah, I don't think Bandlab is going to get shifty on us (at least any time soon ).
I've been enjoying CbB since I finished up some things in SPlat and was able to start on a few new things a couple of months ago.  Haven't used SPlat since.

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1