Helpful ReplySimple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface 2018/04/03 06:39:15 (permalink)
I agree with you... wi-fi is a terrifying unknown, and subject to all sorts of wonky glitching. The only way I would ever come close to trusting internet is if it were my own router, and even then I wouldn't trust it with something important. I would "hope" that even the "internet required" part still means that data is still being steamed to local media (it is most assuredly so, or there would be a truckload of irate folks over the hiccups). We all know the issues with internet apps disrupting audio tasks, so the internet being required would even shoot a mobile device in the foot for me... I can stream 24-bit audio into my cell, but would put it into airplane mode first. Again, I highly doubt audio is being streamed with that internet connection (but maybe, since I really have no clue).

I have gotten into it again and again with Google over apps that have permissions well beyond the function of the app itself. Something you take notes with shouldn't have permission to turn on your microphone or camera, but a lot of them do that. Thankfully, the newer platforms have the ability to selectively deny permissions to apps, but Google doesn't have the same restrictions on developers that Apple does.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface 2018/04/03 08:15:28 (permalink)
You do not have to be connected to the internet in order to record say FOH of a live gig.  Anything that requires it should be avoided.

All you have to do is take one of those Zoom recorders out, patch the line inputs to a spare set of outputs from your desk.

Or run a simple program on a laptop such as Studio One capture with a stereo input interface to do the same thing.  If you want to get serious about multitrack live recordings then get yourself a Presonus live digital mixer that hooks up to laptop running Capture.  All very straight forward.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface 2018/04/03 19:31:41 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
All you have to do is take one of those Zoom recorders out, patch the line inputs to a spare set of outputs from your desk.

Yes, I do that.  I have a Zoom H6 that can record 6 tracks.  I have a Zoom Q8 that shoots video and can record internal stereo plus two other external mics.  I have a Behringer Air 18 that can track 16 channels to PC, and I have a Behringer X32 that can track 32 channels to CD cards and/or PC.

But my interest here was having a quick and easy solution for spontaneous recording using only the stuff I always have in my car, which is a Surface and a couple of USB mics.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface 2018/04/03 20:03:35 (permalink)
I thought you might have a Zoom H2N. This is the one I have and it is excellent. It's in a pouch and it has 4 built in mics which all sound excellent.  It is the ultimate thing for capturing off the cuff audio really.  It beats all other options.   All you have to do is make sure the batteries are good and it seems to go forever on a set of batteries. Carry spares.  And ensure you have enough audio record room. I have a 16 Gig card in mine. So plenty of record time.

It can also be put into 4 channel mode and it makes an amazing front rear recording at the same time.  A very wide range of sounds can be recorded from ultra soft to loud. Super easy to transfer the files too.  It has line inputs and with the appropriate lead it could also record FOH from any mixer as well. Along as the whole mix is in the FOH mixer that is.

I recently went overseas to Asia and captured the whole thing and came back with 6 Gig or so of live recordings. The quality is ridiculous and what I got was awesome. Cannot believe it. Fast trains in Singapore to crowded malls in Penang etc.. Outside atmos effects. All on this tiny thing that you can have in your pocket.  Also it is wise to not be obvious you are recording either.  You can hold this in your hand carefully and quietly and just walk along for example with your hands down by your side and one hand is holding the recorder.  Not obvious. You get more natural sounding occurrences then.  Especially when people are involved. 

Part of the recordings are the sound of my son playing drums on a cruise ship.  We went on a cruise on his ship.  They did shows but also intimate jazz gigs up in the Jazz bar.  I had the zoom sitting on a table about 3 to 4 meters away from the band and it recorded the whole ensemble beautifully. It was all acoustic and they played in perfect balance. The recording sounds amazing. Like a well mixed multitrack. Back to the old days of a mic in a room! No one knew it was happening either.  In Singapore we went to a super trees demo outside on a beautiful night.  It was an amazing light show specular type of event.  The soundtrack was huge and loud.  The recording I did sounds like you are actually there.  It is huge and loud and epic! Some of it is in 4 channel surround. When played back on 4 speakers it sounds breathtaking. 

I am dropping segments of these things into synths like Serum and build interesting wavetables. Once you do that you can sweep the wavetables and make incredible sounding patches. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
cparmerlee
Re: Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface 2018/04/04 05:02:54 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I thought you might have a Zoom H2N.

I was aware of that product, but never really looked closely.  I see that in addition to using it as a recorder, you can also use it like a USB microphone.  In that mode, it seems very comparable to the Blue Yeti, and a similar price, with the advantage that you can also use it as a stand-alone recorder.  The only downside I can see compared to the Yeti (and it is a small one) is that the Zoom does require its own battery power, whereas the Yeti can be powered by the host (via USB).  But that just means keeping a couple of charged batteries available.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
cparmerlee
Re: Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface 2018/04/15 23:25:31 (permalink)
I bought a Zoom H2n used pretty cheap (haven't received it yet.)  This looks like a very versatile product.  I don't know that I will bother connecting it to my Surface, other than for testing.  The only real benefit I can see from that is that the Surface would be like a remote control and I could see the signal levels clearly while recording.  But it may not be worth the trouble, as easy as the Zoom recorders are to use.
One thing that slightly troubles me is that Zoom doesn't quote frequency specs for their Zoom capsules.  Somewhere I saw somebody state them as 70-18,000.  If there is a big drop-off under 70, that would be missing a lot.  I notice the Yeti Pro is quoted as 20-20,000.
I have the Zoom H6, which I believe use the same capsules that are in the Y4n and Y2n.  I know I get lots of sound below 70 Hz, but I don't know how it tapers.  In practice, I mainly would look for bass trombone or tuba, so 45 Hz is about the bottom for me.  I expect there will be enough to pull it up with EQ.  If it is a big problem, my plan B will be a Yeti Pro.
Can anybody provide any practical guidance about the "2-channel surround" (which seems like an oxymoron) and the "4-channel surround" on the H2n?  I assume that "2-channel surround" simply means that we pick up 360 degrees of sound, but present it as stereo with clear left-right separation.

sonocrafters.com
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface 2018/04/21 13:34:28 (permalink)
Don’t forget that the BandLab Cakewalk marriage is just in its infancy and I’m sure there will be ways to do all we want as time progresses.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1