Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Martin Barret
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/21 20:28:01 (permalink)
Hey.  Thanks for posting comments on my tune!  As promised, here I am to return the favour. 

Wow.  Love this!  Nice guitar tone on the lead.  Gotta be a Fender....

The piece is eclectic, surely.  The weird voice channel interspersed throughout the work is obviously not someone who's left on the studio mic while talking on the phone, right?  (kidding...).  I don't know if there's a bit too much of it at times.

That lead guitar is nice and up front and centre.  The chops and the playing - enviable!  Nicely done!  I hear the delay hammer out to the right a bit more than to the left.  I found that happens with some of the presets on vst-delay and it drives me bonkers.  I have to tweak and tweak 'til I get the delay fanning out just perfect. 

The percussion section is stellar! 

Love the bass guitar - just perfect in every way! 

Would love to hear the big POOF of a kick as the piece progresses (just on every other beat-1's, maybe?), but that's a taste thing. 

The vocalist.  Knows the chops real good!  Is she in a tight room or is that the type of reverb you're going for?  I just think her voice - though great, is 'outside' of the recording, as if it didn't sonically belong.  The reverb that your guitar is using - THAT's the one that should be (at least in part) be treating her voice. 

Love the organ lines - would love to hear it 'leslie-i-fied' on-and-off like throughout - again a taste thing.  I think, now that I hear it, it's the organ that is hiding up the left-most delay of the lead-guitar.  Just play more with that delay.

Hope all of this is encouraging and not to 'critique-y'.  I really do love the work.  Congrats!  Sounds like you have found a great groove for yourself.  Keep up the great work!

Martin Barret

evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/25 11:53:18 (permalink)
Kev-  Always good to hear from you, buddy.  I was going to post the "Grinch" foto I had for you last year, but I didn't.  Will we hear your Grinch this year?  Thanks for the nice comments, old friend.  We really appreciate it.

Mark W.- Thanks a bunch, dude!  Your CD got here so I'll be listening soon!  Thanks for listening and commenting.  Can you play sports yet?  I can't even drive for another 2 weeks!  Ha.  What a complainer I am, huh?  :-)

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
evadianepug
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/25 11:56:53 (permalink)
Vechung-  We thank you for listening and for the nice comments!

Janet- It's always a beautiful day when we're able to sit and listen to music, WITH A NICE CUP 'O' JOE!! Thanks for listening.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
evadianepug
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/25 12:00:05 (permalink)
Martin- Actually I think Mark is playing either his Gibson ES335 or His Paul Reed Smith (PRS).  He loves bot and makes them sound pretty danged good.  The vocalist is actually "samples" that Bill Davies drug up.  That guy does some great things on our tunes.   Thanks for the suggestion and for your comments.  We gratefully appreciate it!

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/26 05:16:21 (permalink)
A mean harmonica!  (More please!)

What an awesome hybrid of fun-stuff going on here (inside my K701 cans).

Ambience-candy reminds me a bit of Philz's outlandishness ... which takes this up a notch.

And bkg (female) vox is an awesome spacey touch.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/26 08:21:15 (permalink)
Hi Pugtones, don't know how I maneged to miss this one. Excellent tune and mix. Love that guitar and harp and those lonesome vocals. Great feel to this one,background "noise" is a great touch. Very well done, like it a lot.

Rik
malcolmb
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/26 09:33:22 (permalink)
Totally agree with Warren - It is a beautiful world, made doubly so by this music. Smoky, moody, lyrical and sweet. Just how I like my coffee! Great work.

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory
GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
Scoobie
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 263
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/26 13:55:55 (permalink)
I've said this before, you guy's always impress me with the collaboration work !
Nice guitar work on this, I'll add........... :)

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/26 14:00:24 (permalink)
I really dig this Pug pearl. that hammond sounds sweet in the back as does that signature warm Warren bass playing. I did find the intermittent talking distracting but not so much it took away from the beauty of the song.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:Simpletonian - now a complete Pugtones tune. 2011/11/27 14:44:09 (permalink)

Now that's what I call mellow.

Excellent job all round folks

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1