Helpful ReplySlate Digital, Waves or Nothing

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/05 20:25:24 (permalink)
bitflipper
I, too, must confess to having a lot of plugins. Not a bapu-sized collection, but a lot.

Unfortunately, you have to acquire a lot of them before you realize how few of them you actually needed.

Case in point. Size does not matter.....

....when it comes to plugin (or post) count.
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/05 21:46:58 (permalink)
Anderton
Just to put things in perspective, I think the importance of plug-ins pales in comparison to the importance of the audio in the tracks themselves. This isn't to say there aren't subtle differences among plug-ins, or desirable plug-ins other companies make that have no equivalent in SONAR (although the only one I use on a consistent basis is the Waves L3 Multimaximizer - to my ears the best multiband maximizer out there). Also, plug-ins like reverb - which bump up against the limits of computing power - can have significant differences among them.

However, when you put reverb on a vocal, what matters to the listener is the vocal, not the reverb. So overall, plug-ins may help make us feel better about a recording, which has value in itself. As to whether they make any difference to listeners, it's probably not that significant.

Whilst Craig is correct, it's about the audio you are sculpting within your DAW...to suggest that properly modelled plugins only offer a modicum of difference is wrong. This shows how far people are behind in the audio business. The problem is again a misunderstanding of medium, and indeed the history of audio production and technology over the course of the 20th century. The analogue medium of tape, and the best way to record to tape was perfected over a 40 year period. By 1975...audio engineers, producers and musos knew the formula to create what we understand as the golden age of western art pop music. The issue is, the audio engineers, producers and indeed musos didn't understand it as a formula, because the modernists and the avant-gardes were more interested in tearing down western art traditions and indeed technical virtuosity in some misguided attempt to make art accessible for everyone...and look where it has got us folks...Justin ****ing Beiber and Ed ****ing Sheeran. I know how to help those two too, to make great art music...but it's a family forum lol. If the audio engineers, producers and indeed musos of the golden age of western art pop music understood what they were doing was a formula or better yet a repeatable technique of mixing different types of THD, gain stage and transient shaping i.e. tape and console compression...we wouldn't be having this erroneous debate.   

Let me make this as clear as possible, by misunderstanding the mediums...of celluloid and the digital we've created a hell of a problem for ourselves. Some of you may not know, that the digital or the process of converting electrical signals into zeros and ones was invented in the 1930s. I believe it was designed more as a storage and transmission medium and not as a recording medium. But by the time of the 1970s, when the limits of tape had been exposed, and in particular by Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, as in Beethoven's day when he pushed the limits of music technology by first pushing for the invention of the piano forte, and then doubling the size of the orchestra...again necessity or the formula of music composition, drives music innovation, drives music technology (Beethoven again) forced us down the path of the digital...and like analogue...it has taken 40 years to get to the point where the technology is usable.

We all remember the days...about 20 years ago or Sonar 2 lol digital was crap...lets not mince words, but it was crap. We had under powered computers, badly designed converters, and the ability to accurately model classic hardware was still in its infancy. This is the really the line Craig and many others on this forum and out there in audio land are still espousing. And it is wrong, because whilst propitiatory effects included in all DAWs don't really add anything to a mix, well modelled ones do...but you have to understand the digitized medium, and the analogue recording formula. And this is my point...of course digital analogue emulations won't do much if you put a random Redd channel strip on a vox or a string instrument, but if you emulate the entire signal chain of even harmonic distortion (mic), Redd channel strip (even distortion again), summing console emulation (set to TG12345 so odd harmonic distortion), and then feed this into say the J37 tape sim for more even harmonic distortion, and transient shaping...you will hear the difference between really well modelled plugs and average modelled plugs. 

Look, this isn't a knock at Sonar and what comes with Sonar...as I said in my previous post Sonar comes with great proprietary effects. Probably the best out of all the DAWs IMO. If you can't make a great tune from these effects...then don't bother. But just like the days of yore ;), music composition, drives music innovation, drives music technology...and eventually you outgrow these effects. Then there is again the misunderstanding of mediums and aesthetics, because when people like me talk about this stuff we get howled down and told we're pretentious gits...modernism, ****ing Walter Benjamin and cultural Marxism...but by understanding the aesthetic of digital...it too can be a desirable aesthetics...this is cold, and lacking the warmth and punch of analogue. This aesthetic is great for hip hop, and dance for instance...even some classical and acoustic, but until we understand the various formulas and aesthetics available to composers today...then these silly erroneous debates will continue.

There is a huge difference, between each and every plug we use within our DAWs, one poster mentions UAD versus Waves. I've used both platforms, whilst UADs Pultec has a beautiful subtle bump somewhere around 100hz, Wave's isn't so pronounced, Nomad's which comes with Sonar (I think it is a Pultec clone), has nothing. On the other hand, Wave's Fairchild is much better and closer to the original IMO than UADs. But unless you understand the desired aesthetic you're after...then you're just pissing in the wind. 

Ben :) 

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/05 22:09:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2017/10/10 05:27:11
What are musos? 

All the OP wanted was the over all views this forum on the plugins mentioned. I don't think he was looking for a philosophical treatise on music production of today and the past.   

Best
John
BenMMusTech
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/06 01:23:07 (permalink)
John
What are musos? 

All the OP wanted was the over all views this forum on the plugins mentioned. I don't think he was looking for a philosophical treatise on music production of today and the past.   

Actually John I answered the OP question, and in many ways. To surmise, for John and whomever else is confused, one you don't need to purchase extra plugins if you don't a) want a particular sonik sound, or b) understand the analogue emulation aesthetic. Sonar has an excellent selection of plugins for novices and experts. As Craig put it, it's not the tools but what goes through the tools. On saying that, if you want to advance your music production skills, start small and build. I'm not sure about the slate stuff, but if it's only approximated on the analogue equipment it's supposed to emulate...i.e. Slate hasn't been able to get a hold of the original piece of equipment to create the plug...then the plug isn't worth it. And these plugs aren't worth it, if you have to keep renting or paying a monthly subscription. Yes, Cake does the same...but it's rent to buy, and so therefore isn't odious...you own it at the end.

Waves and UAD, probably the only two companies with the people and the skills to create accurate emulation, would be my recommendation if you want to learn advanced production and mixing techniques, which is what I'm talking about. There is no need for fancy plugs if you don't want to go to another level. SONAR'S plugin selection IS STILL BY FAR THE BEST AND MOST COMPREHENSIVE if this is a hobby. :). Two caveats with UAD and Waves...the first being, UAD require expensive hardware to run plugs. For me, this is obsolete unless you want to use plugs live, and even then I'm not sure you'd need DAP accelerator hardware if you have a Thunderbolt interface. Theoretically you shouldn't. And UAD DSP accelerator hardware has a habit of becoming obsolete and no longer supported. DSP accelerator hardware don't forget was primarily introduced in the very late 90s for underpowered computers, most DSP hardware companies went out of business by 2010. The second caveat and Wave's is, yes you own the software at the end of the day...but if Wave's updates their software to 10 from 9 say, and it is no longer compatible with your system...then you have to pay 300 bucks to upgrade. But that's the maximum you pay, no matter how many you own...so you go down this path with this sort of hanging over your head.

Muso's John equals musicians...must only be colloquial to Oz. Finally john I wasn't giving a lecture on the historical and present recording paradigms lol...I was trying to help people learn about the mediums and technology they use to create music. It's through understanding that we advance our knowledge and abilities. And it's this causing the largest blockage within modern music IMO

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
GLG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/06 01:53:28 (permalink)
It was probably a little off topic, but it was a very good read.

Sonar Platinum / Win 7 64bit / Kingston Hyper 1600 16GB / System Drive Kingston SH100S3120G 128GB SSD / Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 / i72600 3.4Ghz / RME Fireface UC 
BenMMusTech
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/06 02:40:26 (permalink)
John
What are musos? 

Hi John, I actually did answer the OPs question...perhaps not in a simple way though. To surmise, for all those struggling. 

Sonar has everything a newb or a hobbyist composer, producer, engineer and indeed muso (musician John...sorry Oz colloquialism), could even want and need. In my professional opinion, of which I believe I can offer now :), Sonar is still by far the most comprehensive DAW on the market when it comes to their propitiatory list of effects and synths. I have been a Sonar user since version 2, and first purchased Sonar in 2002...so just over 15 years. I've also used and owned over the years Logic, Cubase and Profools ;). Oh and I do have an early copy of Presonus Studio One...the basic version. 

You will need fancy plugin effects beyond Sonar's offering only when you want to explore more fully concepts pertaining to advanced music production techniques. This includes the analogue emulation aesthetic...perhaps the most difficult and misunderstood concept within digital audio - both contemporary and historical. There is no point in buying expensive separate plugs - even 30 dollar Wave's specials end up being expensive lol, I have almost 30 so almost 900 bucks when adding up the tally if you're not going to invest time in learning about the plugin technology, how to use and where to place that technology within the signal chain, and to top it off investigate how that technology was used physically in the past, and in the real world. And as I pointed out, even if you learn how to use the plugin and can hear what it is doing...unless you integrate the plug into a wider analogue emulation signal chain...you won't really get the benefit of the plugin...something that Craig Anderton's post really emphasises IMO.

On the other hand, you decide you want to learn about advanced production techniques...then you will need to pick a software plugin provider, and for me...there are really only two - UAD and Waves. I've never used Slate's stuff, but unless the plugin has been modelled on physical gear of which the company needs to be able to get their hands on...then anything spiel that says it has been modelled on such and such...is really not telling the truth. For example Wave's Abbey Road Signature series has all been modelled from the original desks, tape machines etc used by The Beatles and others who used the equipment at Abbey Road...meaning it's very accurate. I read that Slate require you to pay a monthly access fee or rent the software...this would be a big no for me. Even though Sonar is a rent service, it is rent to own...it is by far the best option, and allows those who can't afford to buy the software or upgrades upfront to do so. It's actually a reasonable deal. 

There are two caveats in regards to Wave's and UAD. The First, UAD is their DSP accelerator hardware, which is costly and has a habit of either being discontinued or worse no longer supported. I've used UAD before, and I prefer Wave's. And remember DSP hardware accelerator cards have been around since the late 90s, and were mainly fashionable because of early computing technology which wasn't powerful enough to process audio. Most of the companies that created this tech and software have now gone out of business. In my mind, DSP hardware is obsolete, unless you're using it in a live setting...and even then it should still be obsolete if the promises of Thunderbolt audio interfaces come to pass. UAD aren't worth the investment. The second caveat, and Wave's is yes you own the software...but beware the hidden fee. If Wave's update their propitiatory software from 9 to 10 say...and you have compatibility issues, then you will need to pay up to $300 dollars to upgrade from 9 to 10. The most you will pay is $300 though, no matter how many plugs you have. I prefer this to the $6000 I wasted on Creamware DSP accelerator technology at the start of the naughties, or indeed the $1500 I spent on UAD DSP accelerator technology in 2010. :) 

Hopefully, I've made the answer more clear for both the OP and John...I wasn't giving a lecture on music philosophy - both past and present as John suggest...what I was doing was trying to help the OP and others understand beyond the limited notion of 'should I buy this plug'. The question is actually a lot more complex than that, as I hopefully have demonstrated...and I haven't even discussed the of 64bitFP and the analogue emulation aesthetic lol.

Ben        

Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/06 03:01:54 (permalink)
Very interesting thoughts Ben, thank you. 
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/06 04:43:35 (permalink)
I purchased the Slate bundle several months ago.  And I think I used a few plugins just once.
Between Ozone 7 Advanced and Neutron, plus all the plugins that come with Sonar Platinum, I can't find a reason to use the Slate plugins, unless I just want to use them for the sake of using them.

Unfortunately I purchased the Slate Bundle by using the monthly subscription plan, and I'm stuck with it.  I have to keep paying $14.99 a month until March 2018.   So I guess maybe I'll start trying to use it more, just to get my money's worth.  It's just that I'm so used to the Sonar efx plugins and everything else I already have, I don't feel like reinventing the wheel.

It's another sad case of G.A.S., or as I call it, being a "Software Junkie".

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/06 07:50:26 (permalink)
Some of the plugins included with Sonar are actually great. I have a collection of Waves plugs and the Slate everything bundle (and lots of other stuff). Some Waves plugins are great and some not so great. Same with Slate and most other plugin developers. However, as a bundle, the Slate everything is good and provides you a lot of good and useful tools, but they are pretty much all modeled on analog gear which is great if that's what you want. The Slate Virtual Mix Rack is one of my go-to tools - I love that plugin loads!

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/06 23:54:24 (permalink)
Clearly then technology hasn’t advanced if the best we can do is a virtual emulation of hardware that existed more than 50 years ago. The only thing that’s really changed is the cost of entry has made it possible for anyone to play like Steely Dan.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
GLG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/07 02:56:39 (permalink)
What??? There's a "Play Like Steely Dan" plugin? I missed that. Has it got a pre-set for Reeling in the Years?

Sonar Platinum / Win 7 64bit / Kingston Hyper 1600 16GB / System Drive Kingston SH100S3120G 128GB SSD / Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 / i72600 3.4Ghz / RME Fireface UC 
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/07 09:29:00 (permalink)
bitflipper
Steely Dan didn't have any plugins from Waves, Slate, Fabfilter or iZotope. They managed.

hmmmm...they surely had access to the hardware versions of the plugins we tend to love!!!!
And microphones and preamps with EQ's most of us can only dream about!
And recording on tape they did not have tape emulating stuff either.
And through a console that itself created what Waves NLS or Slate stuff try to emulate.

The major difference is probably we can do it in our bedrooms if so - and can insert as many plugins we want on tracks - not needing a multi million dollar studio with hardware racks through out every wall. Each instance of a compressor or something else is one hardware unit.

About plugins in general - these are what shapes the sound and takes some time to figure out which one work better with what music material. There is a learning process to it.

Using all 3rd party plugins you can swap daw - which is just a holder of clips and plugins - and you don't have to relearn what shapes the sound. You take that with you. So that is one argument for never to use stock plugins - independence and freedom. To record and insert plugins are very similar among daws. But using stock plugins you also have to relearn what another daw has in stock plugins - or you just bring your 3rd party stuff. So over time I would recommend to buy 3rd party that give you options.

On this planet we call earth - there is no better support than Waves. And things I love about the plugins are not only are they good - but also consistent in how they all have - context help right there how to use it - built in A/B testing of changes you made - and built preset system in menues right there, no looking around on disk to find presets.

And best bang for buck - wait for bundle campaigns including the plugins you are mostly interested in. If they have a sale for single plugin - maybe wait to get an including bundle for that one when on campaign.
BenMMusTech
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/08 22:25:08 (permalink)
mudgel
Clearly then technology hasn’t advanced if the best we can do is a virtual emulation of hardware that existed more than 50 years ago. The only thing that’s really changed is the cost of entry has made it possible for anyone to play like Steely Dan.

Sorry forum for reviving this topic, particularly when the question has been answered...but I find Mudgel's (Micheal's) comment perturbing. This is because, the analogue emulation aesthetic isn't the only digital music innovation of the last 50 years. Digital musical instrument technology has advanced exponentially too...think early sampler tech like The Chamberlin, and The Mellotron...both of which lead to the sampling revolution of the 80s, and has become the de facto composition method in contemporary music...although I believe the sampling movement is now a curse somewhat without music literacy.

There are a whole raft of new controller tech emerging too, which can be used to create and control virtual musical instrument tech...think Notion by Presonus. If Beethoven were around today (maybe he is ;)) lol, but if he were around today...he'd basically say screw the orchestra, screw the band...I can now be a whole orchestra or a whole band...in his day he might have been able to hear the sounds of the orchestra in his head...but now he could not only hear (well if he wasn't deaf) the orchestral arrangements but play the orchestral arrangements. Then there is Sonar, and for many years now I've promoted the idea of Sonar being a digital instrument too...one that needs to be mastered. This includes the wonderful selection of plugs and synths or propitiatory effects it comes with. The two biggest problems within digital music today are...not treating ethereal instruments like real ones and indeed mastering these instruments, and the middle aged oldies like Mudgel (sorry Micheal), who seem to denigrate and misunderstand things like the analogue emulation aesthetic...I like to call these people neo-luddites who are nothing more than analogue fetish merchants. In fact, the analogue emulation aesthetic has very little to do with the digital...it is nothing more than replicating the successful analogue recording formula within a digital paradgim.

The digitized medium, unless you want its particular sonic aesthetic is not designed for music recording...it was designed IMO as the perfect storage and transmission medium. Think about it...tape those wonderful Beatle tapes for instance are degrading over time...digital solves this problem. And unlike 'real' analogue equipment when you transfer from the analogue tape medium, it adds nothing to the source material (with the best converters of course), meaning all that work done shaping the Beatles' recordings isn't messed up. With the analogue emulation aesthetic all we're doing is fixing the problem of digital as a recording medium. But this requires a rethink of digital recording techniques and philosophies...of which the middle aged oldies believe are wrong because it's the opposite  of analogue - where you get the sound right before you commit to recording. 

I haven't even mentioned Behringer working on an Augmented Reality instrument either lol...I for one am looking forward to this...so long as Dotard and Rocket man don't send us back to the stone age! No the future of digital music is bright, but only if we start to reintegrate music literacy back into contemporary music, we make knowing theory cool, and indeed...all virtual instrument playing knowledge is backed by real world playing knowledge. All musos should play an instrument IMO.

Ben      

Steve_Karl
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 11:13:32 (permalink)
Brian Walton

BREverb and Rematrix are very good Reverb plugins that come with SPLAT.  (made by overloud).  You can get free impulse responses made with a 480 that you can load directly into Rematrix and that might be a good starting point.  

http://www.housecallfm.com/download-gns-personal-lexicon-480l

Thanks for the tip on Remax ... never knew I had it.

Can you tell us how to (where to) put these IRs so they'll work with REmax?
Thanks!

Steve Karl
https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
SPLAT 2017.01
tonyzub999
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 16:45:12 (permalink)
Well I'm the original poster. So, first, how is the quality of the 480 IRs? I have to admit that plug in reverb is one of those areas that I think most plug ins are lacking. From what I heard online, the Verbsuite from Slate sounds really good.

I have several nice Lexicon outboard boxes, the PCM 80 and PCM 90, TC Electronics etc. I started with tape, then went ADATs, then dedicated hard disk recorder, with analog and digital boards and now PC only, so in the box mixing is a little new.

Contrary to the conclusions of some posters, I am anything but a nube. I have been with Cakewalk since it was a midi sequencer only, but was playing, recording and mixing before that. My brother had a studio in the 70s.

In addition to my home project studio I ran FOH on a Midas board in the largest mega church in a large metro area for 10 years where we typically averaged 5000+ on weekend in a 2000 seat venue. I mixed for quite a few major record label artists and bands who performed there and have many thank you notes from pros in my studio.

So this is my rather long winded way to say thanks to those who gave helpful advice (and there have always been many of you over the years on this forum). I have learned from many of you. It's always a good idea to get advice from other knowledgeable people even if you have to put up with a few arrogant clowns who may not be as smart or as good as they think they are.
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 17:16:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steve_Karl 2017/10/09 19:29:59
Steve_Karl
Brian Walton

BREverb and Rematrix are very good Reverb plugins that come with SPLAT.  (made by overloud).  You can get free impulse responses made with a 480 that you can load directly into Rematrix and that might be a good starting point.  

http://www.housecallfm.com/download-gns-personal-lexicon-480l

Thanks for the tip on Remax ... never knew I had it.

Can you tell us how to (where to) put these IRs so they'll work with REmax?
Thanks!

Put the IRs somewhere on your HardDrive (as you will need to point the program to them for import)
Scroll down here for the instructions on what to select in the GUI to do the import.  Very easy process:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=ProChannel.12.html

Brian Walton
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 17:23:31 (permalink)
tonyzub999
Well I'm the original poster. So, first, how is the quality of the 480 IRs? I have to admit that plug in reverb is one of those areas that I think most plug ins are lacking. From what I heard online, the Verbsuite from Slate sounds really good.

I have several nice Lexicon outboard boxes, the PCM 80 and PCM 90, TC Electronics etc. I started with tape, then went ADATs, then dedicated hard disk recorder, with analog and digital boards and now PC only, so in the box mixing is a little new.

Contrary to the conclusions of some posters, I am anything but a nube. I have been with Cakewalk since it was a midi sequencer only, but was playing, recording and mixing before that. My brother had a studio in the 70s.

In addition to my home project studio I ran FOH on a Midas board in the largest mega church in a large metro area for 10 years where we typically averaged 5000+ on weekend in a 2000 seat venue. I mixed for quite a few major record label artists and bands who performed there and have many thank you notes from pros in my studio.

So this is my rather long winded way to say thanks to those who gave helpful advice (and there have always been many of you over the years on this forum). I have learned from many of you. It's always a good idea to get advice from other knowledgeable people even if you have to put up with a few arrogant clowns who may not be as smart or as good as they think they are.

The IRs are free and if you have SPLAT then you have the means to check them out for yourself.  

While I've also used PCM80s and 90s quite a bit, I'd personally argue that many convolution based reverb sound much better than many algorithm based hardware units such as these.  
tonyzub999
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 18:02:19 (permalink)
Thanks, I will check it out. I have Platinum.
Steve_Karl
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 20:04:19 (permalink)
Brian Walton

Put the IRs somewhere on your HardDrive (as you will need to point the program to them for import)
Scroll down here for the instructions on what to select in the GUI to do the import.  Very easy process:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=ProChannel.12.html

Thanks Brian. Very helpful!

Edit: Done! They're nice impulses. More subtle than the default ones.
Also note - - - no need to do anything with the .pst files in the download. Just import the .aiff files.
post edited by Steve_Karl - 2017/10/09 20:41:21

Steve Karl
SPLAT 2017.01
tonyzub999
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 21:00:09 (permalink)
Thanks Steve. You guys might save me money yet. ☺
BenMMusTech
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 21:47:12 (permalink)
tonyzub999

I'm sorry if you thought I was calling you a newb, in fact I was not. If you read my words correctly I said I didn't know if you were or not. I perhaps aimed my answers at newbs, because you didn't say your level of proficiency. If you had said...you'd been around the block, I would have been less inclined to help. Furthermore, confidence is often mistaken for arrogance...it would be good if those who didn't understand interpersonal intelligence, and for those who have none...to look wisely at their words and realize it is their lack of self-awareness that creates the confusion in regards to arrogance and confidence. All great men and woman have doubts...otherwise they would not be great. And geniuses will have a 1000 ideas to a mere mortals 1...but not every idea is genius! Think Edison, who in his life held I think over a 1000 patents, but is mainly remember for the light globe and possibly stealing from Tesla :).

Your opening comment about virtual verbs not being possibly as good as the real thing is somewhat correct, but only because a) you possibly don't understand binaural diffusion :), and b) time based delay effects require both 64bitfp and Sonar's oversampling. As the delay or verb fades, without both 64bitfp and oversampling you will hear graininess in the final part of the tale. True story. The quality of the verb plug is important too, the overloud stuff is all right for general work horse stuff...so I like to use these verbs as SFX type verbs...like for my silly voices ;). However, they're not good enough for use as a main verb. Perfect Space is still by far the best verb offering Cake use to include with Sonar. Not sure if it is still included, but even though I have Wave's Abbey Road plate verb, which by the way blows the competition out of the water, and is simple to use, and I also have Wave's convolution verb...Perfect Space still gets used...I love it for outdoor simulation and the spring settings.

tonyzub999
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 22:04:04 (permalink)
Thanks, have you tried the H-Verb? Waves rep told me it was their closest plug to the Lexicons. I listened to a couple of YouTube postings on it, but still come away unsure. The best thing I have heard online (which is not exhaustive) was the Verbsuite from Slate. But it was hyped pretty hard so I'm still a little uncertain. Like I said, going fully in the box is new. My previous process was hybrid, i edited in the box then mixed analog, including EFX back to the hard disk recorder.
Brian Walton
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 22:26:07 (permalink)
BenMMusTech

Your opening comment about virtual verbs not being possibly as good as the real thing is somewhat correct, but only because a) you possibly don't understand binaural diffusion :), and b) time based delay effects require both 64bitfp and Sonar's oversampling. As the delay or verb fades, without both 64bitfp and oversampling you will hear graininess in the final part of the tale. True story. The quality of the verb plug is important too, the overloud stuff is all right for general work horse stuff...so I like to use these verbs as SFX type verbs...like for my silly voices ;). However, they're not good enough for use as a main verb. Perfect Space is still by far the best verb offering Cake use to include with Sonar. Not sure if it is still included, but even though I have Wave's Abbey Road plate verb, which by the way blows the competition out of the water, and is simple to use, and I also have Wave's convolution verb...Perfect Space still gets used...I love it for outdoor simulation and the spring settings.

I don't think anyone made a notion about virtual verbs and "the real thing"

A comment was made about in the box vs hardware.  And Hardware is nothing more than a computer processor, which are generally speaking usually antiquated processing by todays standards (when we are talking about boxes that were invented decades ago).  Many in the box reverbs are certainly as capable.  

Perfect Space is 32bit only and I don't think is part of the package anymore.  Since it is a convolution based IR interface, may other convolution hosts do the same thing.  If you look in your folders you will see the wav files for the perfect space IRs, you can load these into a different player and see if you think that Perfect Space itself was the treasure of if it was the IRs they included.  (maybe even load them into Rematrix - which is the convolution host in SPLAT)

As for me, I'm not using 32bit unless forced to.

(and I have Abbey Road Plates also - a very good plate emulator and also processor hungry)
Brian Walton
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/09 22:47:39 (permalink)
tonyzub999
Thanks, have you tried the H-Verb? Waves rep told me it was their closest plug to the Lexicons. I listened to a couple of YouTube postings on it, but still come away unsure. The best thing I have heard online (which is not exhaustive) was the Verbsuite from Slate. But it was hyped pretty hard so I'm still a little uncertain. Like I said, going fully in the box is new. My previous process was hybrid, i edited in the box then mixed analog, including EFX back to the hard disk recorder.

H-Reverb is good, though fairly process intensive.  If you plan to use it across your tracks, you will likely have to "print/freeze" your tracks.

I'd recommend trying out the demo of this to see what you think:
https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-vintage-verb/

Full version is only $50, and is highly praised by many reverb nuts.  

Lexicon also actually makes a Reverb plugin suite, though it is a bit pricy compared to some other option on the market.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/10 04:56:55 (permalink)
tonyzub999

Try the 72 synthetic IRs I created for the April 2015 update. They aren't like any other impulse responses because they didn’t come from the real world, but were synthesized with a combination of pink noise, DSP, and automation. There are 36 idealized reverb impulses, and 36 reverse reverb impulses. They're pretty much my go-to for vocals these days, as well as percussion.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/10 09:53:34 (permalink)
Brian Walton... and Roger Nichols than it is the tools used. 

yeah remember the mess when he tried getting into the world of plugins!

just a sec

tonyzub999
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/10 15:43:04 (permalink)
Thanks Craig, Where do I find them?
Steve_Karl
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/10 15:52:13 (permalink)
tonyzub999
Thanks Craig, Where do I find them?

bump

Steve Karl
SPLAT 2017.01
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/10 16:04:16 (permalink)
They were part of the April 2015 update.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Steve_Karl
Re: Slate Digital, Waves or Nothing 2017/10/10 16:08:56 (permalink)
Unclear to me ... nothing showing for the yr. 2015 in My Account > Products.
A link would be awesome. TY!

Steve Karl
SPLAT 2017.01
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1