Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes

Author
luckyg
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
2011/02/02 21:30:45 (permalink)

Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes

This is sort of an information post but I'm also curious if anyone else has noticed this. I haven't done anything major in Sonar for a while but recently started recording a friend's song. We got the acoustic track down and added several other audio & soft synth parts to the project.

On my own time I started working on getting the tempo map to match the recorded tracks. Using Audiosnap (I'm using 8.5.3 Pro) I edited the tempo map for the acoustic track then used Audiosnap's set project from clip. Aside from a few minor hiccups along the way I got the tempo track matched and everything seemed good.

However, after closing the project and coming back to it later, the track view was rather sluggish when scrolling around the different tracks. At first I thought it was Audiosnap as I've heard (and experienced) the many quirks and bugs in AS. Though after most of a days worth of testing & forum searching I narrowed it down to the fact that using AS to set the project tempo added lots of tempo changes (which in it's own right, is exactly what I wanted!)

I started deleting a good portion of the tempo changes and the sluggishness started improving. My guess is that because the time ruler at the top stays rigid (i.e. doesn't shrink or stretch when you adjust the tempo) and the audio clips themselves adjust to each tempo change, when you have that many changes in a project any audio clips have a lot of graphic calculations to appear correct.

I ended up going back to an earlier project version and redoing the tempo map editing to not include so many anchor points so as to reduce the amount of tempo changes in the end. It was better... though I still needed enough changes to keep the timing tight that it's still a little slow scrolling around the tracks. Another way to improve the slowness is to freeze as many of the audio tracks as you can... that made it easier.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don't normally post, but this seemed like something that might catch people off guard (thinking it was Audiosnap!) and wanted to share what I found.

-Ryan

10 Replies Related Threads

RockStudio.NL
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2011/12/06 15:23:04 (permalink)
    I know this is a kinda old post, but I wanted to comment on this anyway.
    I recently experienced a very jerky performance in track view.
    When I clean out the Picture Cache folder it will run smooth, but only for that one session.
    After that, when the picture cache files are written it's back to jerky.

But now I read your post, and the tracks I've worked on lately do have a lot of tempo changes.

I'm gonna try to remove the tempo changes in a test project to see if the jerkyness stops :-)

Cheers,
    Kris
    TheScholar
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2011/12/12 06:25:39 (permalink)
    If the GUI does not update smoothly during playback, press the Pause key to make sure you didn't inadvertently put SONAR in CPU conservation mode. If the Pause key (on the keyboard) has been pressed, SONAR will display the letter P in the status bar.
    thechrisl
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2011/12/24 14:49:13 (permalink)
    I've been having the same issue as the original poster.  Slow GUI on a project with some tempo changes (but not a lot).  I'm not using AudioSnap at all.  It's not the Pause mode (that behaves quite a bit differently).  Clearing out the cache does work but, as mentioned, just for that session.

Thought I'd throw this out there since I'm always gratified to hear someone else having the same bizarre issue I am.

I'm using Sonar Producer 8.5.2, 32bit, Win7 64bit.  Curious to know whether this happens in Sonar X or whatever the latest version is.

thechrisl
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2012/02/06 15:38:16 (permalink)
    Has anyone experienced this in Sonar X or X1?  It's definitely an annoyance in 8.5.  Kind of defeats the purpose of doing much in the way of tempo mapping.
    MagicMike
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2016/07/01 09:44:18 (permalink)
    I'm getting this problem in Platinum. I have re-recorded an old demo. What I did was to extract the tempo changes from the original track and this created the overall tempo map for the project.

Granted, my song has about 64 tracks and plenty of plugins but my PC is pretty powerful. The GUI is ridiculously sluggish (nothing to do with the pause key). If I disable all FX then we're back to smooth scrolling. If I go back to the project version with rigid tempo and all FX enabled, the gui is smooth.

What can I do?

Windows 10 x64, 16 gb RAM,i7 4.2GHz, 250GB Samsung SSD for OS/Programs, SSD for current projects,  1TB Disk for audio and backup project files, RME UCX interface on USB, ASUS motherboard, dual screen setup with latest AMD FX 5450 catalyst drivers for graphics, Cakewalk by Bandlab. Samson Graphite 49 keyboard.
    tzzsmk
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2016/07/01 10:14:43 (permalink)
    how big buffers did you set?

Core i7-5820K, ASUS X99-S, Kingston 32GB DDR4, EVGA GTX980Ti Classified, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    RME HDSPe AIO, RME Fireface 802, RME Octamic D, Seaboard RISE49, Presonus Eris E8, AKG K240 MKII, DELL U2713HM
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2016/07/01 15:33:45 (permalink)
    You have dug up an old thread but I think that the problem still exists.  Splat had an issue with wave form drawing in areas where the tempo was changing. They seem to have fixed that bug but things do slow down when there are continuous tempo changes.

You can log a bug or submit a feature request.  Those are the only options I know of.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    MagicMike
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2016/07/04 09:23:06 (permalink)
    "how big buffers did you set?"

My RME Fireface latency is at the highest possible setting. Playback and record buffers have no effect.

"You can log a bug or submit a feature request.  Those are the only options I know of."

Thanks, will submit a bug
    reginaldStjohn
    New

Total Posts : 195Joined: 1/16/2011Status: offline

Re:Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2 days ago (permalink)

You have dug up an old thread but I think that the problem still exists.  Splat had an issue with wave form drawing in areas where the tempo was changing. They seem to have fixed that bug but things do slow down when there are continuous tempo changes.

You can log a bug or submit a feature request.  Those are the only options I know of.

AMD Phenom II x4, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer 
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Pod HD 500 Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster 
    LTD ESP EC-1000 
    Ibanez S-770
    Helpful Report AbuseForward  Quote   #8

MagicMike
    Quick Reply: (Open Full Version)        Paragraph Font Family Font Size                 
    Path: p

Preview 

Submit Post

Home » [Cakewalk Products] » SONAR » Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes
    Jump to:  Jump to - - - - - - - - - -  [Cakewalk Products] - - - - SONAR - - - - Music Creator - - - - Cakewalk Instruments - - - - Cakewalk Hardware - - - - The Archives [Feedback Loop] - - - - Features & Ideas - - - - Problem Reports - - - - Cakewalk Store [The Studio] - - - - Hardware - - - - Software - - - - Computers - - - - Deals [Community] - - - - Coffee House - - - - Songs - - - - Techniques 

© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Products
    SONARRapture ProZ3TA+ 2Music Creator 7ProChannel ModulesCA-2A Leveling AmplifierRE-2A Leveling AmplifierStudio InstrumentsDimension ProTop Downloads
    Learn
    CakeTVSONAR UniversitySONAR TipsBooks and TutorialsMusic Production TipsDrum Production TipsGuitar TipsSynth TipsMixing TipsDAW Best PracticesLearn SONAR online with BerkleeObedia
    Get Support
    Knowledge BaseFAQsOnline DocumentationDownload ProductsRegister ProductsDownload Command CenterMy AccountContact Support
    Community & News
    Cakewalk ForumsCakewalk BlogCakewalk NewsletterGoogle+ CakewalkTwitter CakewalkFacebook CakewalkMyspace CakewalkYouTube CakewalkCakewalk EventsCakewalk ArtistsPress Releases
    Cakewalk Inc
    About UsCareersCakewalk Dealers
    Copyright © 2016 Cakewalk, Inc. All rights reserved 
    Privacy Policy | Legal | Contact Us

reginaldStjohn

Windows 10 x64, 16 gb RAM,i7 4.2GHz, 250GB Samsung SSD for OS/Programs, SSD for current projects,  1TB Disk for audio and backup project files, RME UCX interface on USB, ASUS motherboard, dual screen setup with latest AMD FX 5450 catalyst drivers for graphics, Cakewalk by Bandlab. Samson Graphite 49 keyboard.
    ibediggin
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 268
    Re: Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2017/06/26 00:28:07 (permalink)
    my problem is also strange
    i record................... it sound like it is in perfect time
    then i have to go back and move my track forward to make it lign up
    is there anyone out there?

amd 10-6700 apu, 3.70 ghz,24gb 16gb usable.
    sonar platinum 64 bit operating system latest upgrades
    .komplete audio 6
    WINDOWS 10
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Slow GUI in projects with lots of tempo changes 2017/06/26 00:54:02 (permalink)
    ibediggin
    my problem is also strange
    i record................... it sound like it is in perfect time
    then i have to go back and move my track forward to make it lign up
    is there anyone out there?

This must be bump old thread Sunday or something .
    I suspect latency. What is your midi buffer at ? Sound card driver ?
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1