So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3?

Author
KyRo
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
2014/03/28 05:39:42 (permalink)

So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3?

Hi folks. Ran a few searches for this matter, but couldn't find quite what I was looking for...

My most current version of Sonar is X2, which I've not really used to date (actually, being perfectly honest, I haven't even taken it out of the box! Figures, I bought it about a month before X3's existence/release was announced). Now that X3 has been out for a bit, and appears to be receiving a vast amount of more maintenance than its predecessor, I find myself contemplating that pesky little question in my head - to upgrade or not to upgrade, if it's worth it or it isn't, especially now, with the opportunity to take advantage of the loyal customer discounted upgrade price of $99.

But, rather than having a bunch of you fine folks tell me if it was worth it to you to upgrade, or even moreso, trying to get you all to put yourselves in my shoes and guess if it's worth it for me, I will instead simply ask this...

What are the biggest differences from X2 to X3?... Pro and con. Additions, subtractions, alterations, omissions, fixes, etc., etc.

Though I haven't really put my copy of X2 through its paces, between my experience with prior versions and having read Scott Garrigus' (excellent) Sonar X2 Power! in its entirety, I think I have a pretty solid understanding and familiarity with most of the features and functions of the program. So please, feel free to divulge in as many or as few areas and details as you see fit. All input is appreciated.

With this knowledge, I should be able to weigh all the relevant factors, and determine for myself if it is worth it or not to jump for the upgrade. Again, all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(PS: Sorry if this post feels over-asked to the more frequent visitors of the forum - I really couldn't find a previous thread that answered these specific questions I pose, mostly just opinion and personal review of the product's worth on a more subjective level.)
X2, X3

20 Replies Related Threads

RogerH
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 608
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/28 05:56:42 (permalink)
    ARA integration, the new comping tool and color customisation is some of the first things that comes to my mind......oh and stability improvements. Check out the demo

A song from my band: Terramater 
    My soundcloud page
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) 64Bit
    Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K 3,4GHz
    MSI P67A-C45 (MOBO)
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 (2x4GB)
    Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
    Seagate Barracuda® XT 2TB
    [font="arial, sans-se
    forkol
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/28 06:16:03 (permalink)
    Here's the new features list:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar/whats-new.aspx
    As for enhancements, there have been enhancement in video codecs and numerous bug fixes.  For those, you can read the release notes for each update.

There are a few reworked features (track lanes and new comping), and a few features that have been dropped (R-Mix), and a few other small 'subtractions'.  Whether they are 'pro' or 'con' is going to primarily depend on your own user experience.  But, that's still a good reason for you to install X2 first even if you consider getting X3, so you can still have access to the old features if needed, and see if the newer ones are more to your liking.

In all, I think you should do the upgrade, even if you have not installed X2.  The biggest reason is so that you can have all the support and updates and fixes of a current release. 
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/28 06:47:12 (permalink)
    dimelives1
    ...I really couldn't find a previous thread that answered these specific questions...

There's actually a thread started yesterday on this same topic in the Coffee House forum:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Im-considering-the-loyalty-upgrade-m3014566.aspx
    Maybe it didn't answer your questions though.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    flameout
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/28 07:35:48 (permalink)
    Dime,

Your framed the question well, but you did not tell us about - you - what you typically record, the kind of music, vocals, the complexity of your songs - etc. So it would just be giving you are random thoughts which is what you did not want.

Further, you did not say what version of X2 you have, making it a bit more difficult to answer the question you posed. But I assume from the $99 fee the version is "studio" .

So I will try to put it in some perspective.

If you are a one guitar and one vocal person, then stick with x2... if you are an occasional hobbiest, a quick recording here and there, stay with X2.  If you don't come close to overtaxing X2, stay with it.  If you are happy with teh stability of x2 the way YOU use it, then stick with it.  If you don't use take lanes, then stay with it. If you don't use melodyne then stay with it.

But if there are exceptions to the "stay with" criteria I just listed, you are wasting a lot of time by using X2. Go straight to http://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar/versions.aspx and buy X3.

That's my opinion.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/28 08:46:33 (permalink)
    flameout
    ...you did not say what version of X2 you have...But I assume from the $99 fee the version is "studio"...

$99 upgrade price applies to Producer edition right now.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    neirbod
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/28 12:26:20 (permalink)
    The new features you can easily find on the website. Two that pop to mind are melodyne and color schemes. But for me (and others) the biggest issue with X2 was that it is very buggy and essentially not supported. The take lanes feature in particular which is used for some aspects of editing and for comping was poorly implemented causing major workflow obstacles. Just search for any thread asking about updates for X2a and you will find long lists of requested by fixes and feature enhancements

I actually feel that X2 was essentially a beta product and not ready for prime time. But of course that depends a lot on how you use it. For me upgrading to X3 was not just beneficial but necessary.

-----------------
    Windows 7 64
    Sonar Platinum
    Intel i7 3.4 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 mobo
    RME UFX and UCX
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/28 12:31:39 (permalink)
    Hey Kyle,

Thanks very much for reading my book! Comping and integration of Melodyne were really great additions to X3, but of course, it all depends on if you need the new features or not.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - http://garrigus.com - SONAR X3 Power! - http://garrigus.com/?SonarX3Power
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://garrigus.com/?ProAudioTutor
    * Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://digifreq.com/?DigiFreq
    * Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://newtechreview.com/?NewTechReview
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/29 11:51:05 (permalink)
    The new comping feature is one of the biggest time savers of all time, the new color scheme is fabulous, Melodyne and the ability to drop an audio track into a MIDI track and transform it to MIDI is unbelievable, and Addictive Drums (full version) is no slouch.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/29 21:07:47 (permalink)
    ...and to the above I would add VST3 support, a better video foundation that will serve us well in future versions, lots of bug fixes and stability improvements, QuadCurve EQ flyout with spectrum analyzer, Blue Tubes suite of effects, and the BiFilter.

I never had the problems with X2 that some others seemed to experience, but overall X3 feels more solid and responsive. That's not a huge functional improvement, but over time, it adds up into a better recording experience.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    djwayne
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2021
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/29 21:19:19 (permalink)
    Ya that Quad Curve Fly Out Eq is definitely a big plus...just about worth $99 by itself...Plus you get all the other goodies...it's a no brainer. 
    mmorgan
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/29 21:24:23 (permalink)
    dimelives1

What are the biggest differences from X2 to X3?... Pro and con. Additions, subtractions, alterations, omissions, fixes, etc., etc.

I can't think of single 'con', which to me is stunningly superb.

Others have pointed out many of the new tools to which a say: yep it's all good. And I would add that overall, and with the ongoing release of patches, I find X3 to be the most stable and enjoyable version of Sonar I've used (really started using it full on around 8.5).

Having said that there are some things I would like to see different but they are by and large cosmetic in nature. With X3 we finally have a mature and stable version of the vision that was the 'X' series.

To the OP in particular: you say haven't really used X2 yet which begs the question "what are you using?".

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
    Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/29 23:07:41 (permalink)
    Kev999
    flameout
    ...you did not say what version of X2 you have...But I assume from the $99 fee the version is "studio"...

$99 upgrade price applies to Producer edition right now.

Just curious - I paid $149 a few weeks ago to go from X2 Producer to X3 Producer, and I see that is the price today as well. Did I miss a sale price? If so, doh!!

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/29 23:13:42 (permalink)
    There is on going targeted promotion via emai. If you are not receiving the newsletter or other Cakewalk email and want them, sign up for the newsletter. Having trouble receiving the newsletter, PM "Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]" 
    Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/29 23:53:29 (permalink)
    scook
    There is on going targeted promotion via emai. If you are not receiving the newsletter or other Cakewalk email and want them, . Having trouble receiving the newsletter, PM "Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]" 

Thanks, Steve. I probably opted out of the newsletter years ago, since I am perennially buried in commercial email. I guess I just paid fifty bucks for that little bit of privacy...

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/30 00:12:15 (permalink)
    I just paid $149 to jump from 7PE to X3, which had previously been $199.  Felt I got a steal of a deal.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/30 00:40:15 (permalink)
    Not any cons I can think of at all to not go to X3.

I opened X2 the other day and man, I don't want to go back to that. It's nothing like X3.

Other pluses for X3- tape emulation, Bifilter, comping tool, Smart tool, Nomads Blue Tubes fx, color, and on and on!!

As has been stated, X3 is the much refined vision of the what the Bakers have been trying to get into our hands!!

So come on and get a handful!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    KyRo
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/30 14:26:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies so far, folks. Lot of helpful insights here.

forkol
    There are a few reworked features (track lanes and new comping), and a few features that have been dropped (R-Mix), and a few other small 'subtractions'.

Can you fill me in on what other features (apart from R-Mix) were dropped?

flameout
    Dime,

Your framed the question well, but you did not tell us about - you - what you typically record, the kind of music, vocals, the complexity of your songs - etc. So it would just be giving you are random thoughts which is what you did not want.

Well I mostly was just looking to learn about the most impactful differences between the versions, but I suppose a little background info on my needs wouldn't hurt.

I actually have two different ambitions with recording music. The first (my primary usage), is primarily rock/metal based tunes, heavy vocals and the like, with a light/moderate usage of VST and MIDI, including fairly extensive use of Session Drummer and the Step Sequencer.

My second direction is more orchestral, ala video game and other such media soundtracks, making heavier use of VST and MIDI.

flameout
    Further, you did not say what version of X2 you have, making it a bit more difficult to answer the question you posed.

Sorry - X2 Producer.

flameout
    If you are a one guitar and one vocal person, then stick with x2... if you are an occasional hobbiest, a quick recording here and there, stay with X2.  If you don't come close to overtaxing X2, stay with it.  If you are happy with teh stability of x2 the way YOU use it, then stick with it.  If you don't use take lanes, then stay with it. If you don't use melodyne then stay with it.

Though I have been in a bit of a lull from recording for a little while, I'm getting back into it, and my intent is a bit more than hobbyist. Max quality will be a goal, so comping/take lanes will be a key tool for me (just as layers were in 8.5 and X1).

I can't really attest to the system taxation and stability of X2 on my system because, as I mentioned earlier, I've not even gotten to installing it yet. But I never experienced any serious problems with X1 when I was using it regularly.

I've never used Melodyne to date, and don't really anticipate heavy usage of it in the near future.

And just in case it's of any relevance, here are my system specs:
    Windows 7 64-bit, Pentium E5500 Dual-Core CPU, 10 GB RAM, Roland UA-1G audio interface, stock Intel video and Realtek sound cards.

mmorgan
    To the OP in particular: you say haven't really used X2 yet which begs the question "what are you using?".

I've just been away from recording entirely for a while. The last program I used extensively at all was X1.

Thanks again, all.

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/30 14:39:36 (permalink)
    dimelives1

Can you fill me in on what other features (apart from R-Mix) were dropped?

As you have X2 you will still have R-mix if you want to install it. Same goes for VVocal. They are no longer included but will still work in X3 if installed. Addictive drums blows session drummer away IMO.
    forkol
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/03/30 16:19:41 (permalink)
    paulo
    As you have X2 you will still have R-mix if you want to install it. Same goes for VVocal. They are no longer included but will still work in X3 if installed. Addictive drums blows session drummer away IMO.

Yeah, I said the same in my reply to him as well, but he had not installed X2 yet, and I encouraged him to do so.  I'm also not aware of any other real 'subtractions' besides the RMix and VVocal.

dimelives1
    Well I mostly was just looking to learn about the most impactful differences between the versions, but I suppose a little background info on my needs wouldn't hurt.

I actually have two different ambitions with recording music. The first (my primary usage), is primarily rock/metal based tunes, heavy vocals and the like, with a light/moderate usage of VST and MIDI, including fairly extensive use of Session Drummer and the Step Sequencer.

My second direction is more orchestral, ala video game and other such media soundtracks, making heavier use of VST and MIDI.

For the vocals, you can use new Melodyne, and the Blue Tubes effects will be helpful here as well.  The new comping features might be helpful here as well.  

As for the orchestral part of your planned work, I don't see much that's added for X3.  The new comping feature might help here as well. 

dimelives1..
    And just in case it's of any relevance, here are my system specs:
    Windows 7 64-bit, Pentium E5500 Dual-Core CPU, 10 GB RAM, Roland UA-1G audio interface, stock Intel video and Realtek sound cards.

For your orchestra stuff, if you are going with some really High-quality orchestral libraries, you might want to consider upgrading to a different CPU (although this is the 'good' Pentium) and maybe have a look at upgrading audio interface options as well.

KyRo
    Re: So... Biggest differences from X2 to X3? 2014/04/01 00:02:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input, guys. Much appreciated.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1