So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2011/06/19 21:11:14 (permalink)

So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading?

I bought a Kindle 3 on April, 1 of this year and it has been the best thing I have bought in years. I like to read several books at once, I'll switch back and forth unless it is some really exciting book like something from Staphen Hunter...

I love the Kindle because of all the great free books, especially memoirs etc. I have recently finished
General U.S. Grant's memoirs (really biased but worth reading) free
General W.T. Sherman's memoirs (not as biased but the prewar part was much more interesting) free
Three Years With Quantrell by McCorkle (really good and fair) free
The Story of Cole Younger by Himself (interesting) free

Am reading:
The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government by President Jefferson Davis (interesting so far) free
<<to balance>>
The Slave Narratives: a folk history of slavery, the four Georgia volumes (very interesting. Interviews were done in the 1930s as a part oof FDR's public works in the depression) free
I'm a little over halfway through Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies by Jeff Strong

Reading off and on:
The Law by Frederick Bastiat ..free
The Heidelberg Catechism ..free
The Terrorist Next Door by Erick Stackelbeck (it was over 15 bucks but I want to read it, it is new)
The Art of War by Sunzi, almost through with it...

To read but haven't started:
Frankenstein: Dead and Alive by Dean Koontz
The Nature of Apostasy by John Owen
I rode with Jesse James by Gaylon Barrow
Democracy in America by Alexis De Toquevlle
Pro Techniques for Home Recording by Joe Dochtermann
Advance and Retreat by General John Bell Hood

Two devotionals:
Grace for The Moment Daily Bible by Max Lucado
Tabletalk by Lignonier ministries (R C Sproul)
and The Bible ESV or NASB... wish they did me more good!

All that (except for Tabletalk is on the Kindle... if you like to read.. get one and don't look back)

I'm also reading X1 POWER... or am goingto read it as I go... and was reading The Whirwind of War by Stephen B Oates in hardback before I got my Kindle.. I need to get back to it...
then of course I read the forum here, the posts that get my attention and I check in at the guitardiner.com

Ilove to read, so many books, so little time... and lately I have ben averaging two poems or lyrics a day. Whatfun. I like to write at night in the bed as I am getting sleepy, that seems to be my most creative time for some reason.

In the last year I read all the Stephen Hunter books and all the Vince Flynn books (I like Hunter better, he reated Bob Lee Swagger and Earl Swagger... great sniper action books). The best memoir I have ever read was Fighting For The Confederacy: The Personal Memoirs of General Edward Porter Alexander http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Confederacy-Personal-Recollections-Alexander/dp/0807847224 Alexander was with General Lee, an engineer and chief of artillary... wrote a military history but later, at the insistance of his daughters he wrote this book and it is really good and gives insight into many of the personalities of the Army of Northern Virginia... a good read.
Tow of my other favorite books are Company Aytch (a sideshow to the bigshow) by Sam Watkins who was with the AOT through most of the war between the states, is VERY good, a down to earth. sometimes harrowing, sometimes humourous account of daily life in the infantry of the AOT.
One of my other all time favorites is Pretty Boy Floyd by Larry McMurtury and Diana Ossana. I read it in paperback and liked it so much I bought it in hardback.

Well.. how's that for off the subject?

You like to read? What?

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!

54 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/19 21:14:30 (permalink)
    I just finished reading At Home by James Bryson.

Now I'm into the 5th installment of the Jean Aurel "Children of The Earth" Series" (i.e. Clan of the Cave Bear was the first).

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/19 21:15:48 (permalink)
    I read Bapu's replies.  Doesn't leave me much time to read anything else...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/19 22:14:26 (permalink)
    Still learning to read....it's the old eye's and comprehension giving
    me trouble....but these have been keeping me company when I'm not
    reading my music mags.
    Kindles loaded with all that other stuff.

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/19 23:36:47 (permalink)
    Love my Kindle.  Best money I've spent in years.  I subscribe to couple magazines with it... reading over the last couple months:

Rob Bell's "Love Wins"
    "Switch" by Chip Heath
    The Federalist Papers
    The first three or four books of the Discworld series
    Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy
    Holy Conversation by Richard Peace
    The Didache

and others...

Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 01:19:52 (permalink)
    I'm reading Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks. 

It's pretty interesting stuff about how a song will pop into your head and you can't get rid of it. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 01:54:35 (permalink)
    Old55

It's pretty interesting stuff about how a song will pop into your head and you can't get rid of it. 

Ah, but did you know how to get that song OUT of your head?  You have to finish it.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Old55
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 02:32:20 (permalink)
    craigb

Old55

Ah, but did you know how to get that song OUT of your head?  You have to finish it.

Eventually, the music in my head will go away...  only to be replaced by voices.  

On a more serious note--some people have music "playing" constantly.  They have to avoid meetings and other problem areas because they're so distracted by the music in their heads.  It's some sort of biological condition. 

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 03:25:34 (permalink)

I read a lot.

My problem is I read like I record - I always seem to have about 4 or 5 books/projects on the go so it takes an age to finish them (roight Bapsi?).

Currently, this book is holding my attention the most:

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 05:23:28 (permalink)
    As a youngster (under 30 years) I read a lot. I loved historical novels and latin- /south American literature. I had always 1-3 books under process. I read 40-60 books a year.

Little by little the everyday worries ate my ability to concentrate. Now it takes me a year to read one book, because I fall asleep after two pages, so it's no use reading...

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 08:31:04 (permalink)
    I'm reading "No one Gets Out of Here Alive" The story of Jim Morrison.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 08:57:53 (permalink)
    Apart from a zillion S/W development books:

Charlatan, The Fraudulent Life of John Brinkley by Pope Brock.

Rather an eye-watering, but still fascinating,read, there's a review of it here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.u...ley-pioneer-quack.html

In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire by Adrian Goldsworthy.

And also doing the Hitchikers Guide books again. Been many years since I've read them, still enjoying them immensely 

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 09:09:21 (permalink)
    I'm currently re-reading book 1 of the 10 book series of "The Chronicals of Amber" by Roger Zelany.  I've only read the first 3 books years ago and this time seems to be slow going - hit and miss as far as progress.

Eric - LOVE the Hitchikers books.  couldn't stand Dirk Gently tho. 

Bill - I read that one several years ago.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bapu
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 09:21:18 (permalink)
    In the last year or so I've read these bios

Lennon
    Ronnie Wood
    Life by Keef
    No one....
    Clapton
    Clapton's Guitar

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 09:25:41 (permalink)

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bapu
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 09:28:13 (permalink)
    I the last two or so years I've also read

Hawaii, The Source, Centenial (by Michner)
    The first four Jean Auel "Clan" books
    Water For Elephants
    Pillars of The Earth & World Without End (Ken Follet)

I'm really liking the "historical" novels.

post edited by bapu - 2011/06/22 10:55:00
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 09:38:24 (permalink)
    For you sci fi fans out there, a must read is

Kilgore Trout - Venus on the Half Shell.

One of my favorites ever.  Then again, I was a huge Vonnegut fan for ages.  Then he died.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    bapu
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 09:43:35 (permalink)
    space_cowboy

Then again, I was a huge Vonnegut fan for ages.  Then he died.  

But you can still be a huge fan, no?

bapu
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 09:45:39 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, I'm still trying to get through this read:

Seems I keep going back over it (again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again)
    Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 11:46:32 (permalink)
    I keep hearing good things about Kindle and might just look into getting it.

I'm currently reading a very interesting & inspiring book: The Admirable Life of Mother Mariana De Jesus (Vol. II). Her body was actually found (incorrupt and whole since her death in 1635) during the renovation of the convent in 1906 when the sacrophagus was opened and her body was discovered.
    Amazon.com

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 12:28:58 (permalink)
    Just started Hunger Games.  I know that many perceive this as something appropriate for only the same demographic that devour the Twilight books, but they are wrong.  This is a seriously well crafted tale, superbly paced and strikingly original.  Highest recommendation for anyone who likes the fantasy genre.

Amazon and audible.com (who sell downloadable audio books) recently teamed up for a promotion.  Subscribe to audible for a year at $15/month, and get $100 off an iPod (or equivilent).  I had no iPod, so I signed up and got an iPod Touch for just over a hundred bucks.  Now I'm listening to a series of books I once read, the George RR Martin fantasy epic that starts with Game of Thrones.  You get one audible credit per month which usually gets you one book.  In the case of the Martin books, they are hefty and require two credits.  On the other hand, the recitations take 35 to 40 or more hours, so it's not a bad deal at all.  Also, the reader is perfect for the task at hand.  Enjoying the experience enormously.

OT, but along the same lines, I watched the final installment of HBO's Game of Thrones last night.  I can't imagine how they could have done it any better.  The final image of the young lady with the three baby dragons clinging to her is one for the ages.  Anyone who didn't watch ... do yourself a favor in a few months when the DVDs come out and watch this remarkable series.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 12:33:23 (permalink)
    space_cowboy

Was the real author ever identified?  I heard a rumor it was Philip Jose Farmer (who died maybe 10 years ago).  But I don't recall ever reading about a definitive attribution.

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 12:55:08 (permalink)
    Julien...I almost forgot...your mention of a poem reminded me..
    not only do I enjoy reading but I also like to write books.

I won't blow any horn but maybe Bapu and/or Grant will, as they
    should receive theirs ( book that is) this week (Friday my guess). I did
    include a poem in Bapu's. I hope he shares that if nothing else.

Just proud about that and thought I'd mention....station break over, now
    back to the books.
    Old55
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 13:12:00 (permalink)
    space_cowboy

One of my favorites ever.  Then again, I was a huge Vonnegut fan for ages.  Then he died.  

So it goes. 

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 15:46:41 (permalink)
    Reading this - again;

A quite brilliant (and disturbing) debut novel.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bapu
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/20 15:56:34 (permalink)

dmbaer

Now I'm listening to a series of books I once read, the George RR Martin fantasy epic that starts with Game of Thrones.  You get one audible credit per month which usually gets you one book.  In the case of the Martin books, they are hefty and require two credits.  On the other hand, the recitations take 35 to 40 or more hours, so it's not a bad deal at all.  Also, the reader is perfect for the task at hand.  Enjoying the experience enormously. 

OT, but along the same lines, I watched the final installment of HBO's Game of Thrones last night.  I can't imagine how they could have done it any better.  The final image of the young lady with the three baby dragons clinging to her is one for the ages.  Anyone who didn't watch ... do yourself a favor in a few months when the DVDs come out and watch this remarkable series.

+1 on that Game of Thrones series. Excellent. 

I also forgot to add.
    In the last year I also read the Millennium Trilogy by Steig Laarson.

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/22 10:52:03 (permalink)
     I am reading an autobiography on Keith Richards and next is Eric Clapton. I have to have them read in two weeks as they are library checkouts.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Old55
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/22 12:04:44 (permalink)
    Mastering Audio by Bob Katz  It looks like the first edition.
    The Mastering Engineer's Handbook:  The Audio Mastering Handbook by Bobby Owsinski
    D-Day--Stephen Ambrose

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/22 12:26:35 (permalink)
    I'm in the middle of "The Strange Last Voyage Of Donald Crowhurst," by Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall.
    I just finished "Cider With Roadies," by Stuart Marconie.
    Next up will be either "Killing Hitler: the plots, the assassins, and the dictator who cheated death" or "Sailing for Dummies."

Bapu, was the Ronnie Wood bio as good as you'd expect?  That might be on my near-future list...
    post edited by Slugbaby - 2011/06/22 12:29:40

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    bapu
    Re:So does anyone else like to read? What are you reading? 2011/06/22 12:30:06 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

"Killing Hitler: the plots, the assassins, and the dictator who cheated death" or "Sailing for Dummies."

Is it just me or do these titles seem strangely connected?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1