AnsweredSoftware how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendations .

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
2017/12/01 13:46:38 (permalink)

Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendations .

Hi all ,

In view of the recent events here on our forum concerning SONAR I have sort of stepped back and started thinking about my time here as a member / SONAR user ..
In a nutshell , for a number of years it seemed that I was concerned about trying to stay in my own lane  ...
A good deal of what I was most interested in involved staying with SONAR & learning the workflow .

A while back , during that course of time I had bumped shoulders and heads in some of my interactions with other members that were very passionate about non SONAR DAW's and software .
I bring this up because some members of long standing were so enthusiastic about their passions & their choices regarding other non Cakewalk DAW's , they were willing to go full out Evangelistic , put the gloves on and eventually get banned ...
The thing is  that is not what I want to talk about ... I want to talk about some of the members that have stayed here the whole time that may have went on to greener pastures in some cases , Yet they stuck around and made the case of other non Cakewalk DAWs on the down low ...while still being very helpful and supportive .

One may ask , why is this important to me ? My simplest answer that I could give is this .
In many cases I have asked about specific workflows that I was working on where I had hit a brick wall using what I had and some kind souls have offered me answers of how to do what I was looking to do using another brand DAW..

During the course of time , a funny thing happened ...
I started feeling as if I was beating my head up against the wall by only using and wearing the "Home Teams product and colors " .

The past three years I have loosened up and decided to go out and buy a bunch of the competitors DAW's and learn my way around the various workflows ..
It soon became very clear to me that there is an easy way to do things , and there is also a very hard way to do things ...

One of the first things I noticed was when I finally got to the place where I tried the workflows I had been trying to do in SONAR in another brand DAW , I was shocked in some cases how easy to do what I was looking to do ...
I started thinking about some of the people here that were trying to help me that I was close minded about .
In some cases I was able to accomplish what there were trying to tell me years ago ...the light bulb was lit ...
I hold a fondness for some of these people , yet I 'm still here for as long as here "will still be here for "

Standing here in the present moment I can say there are a few members here that have willing offered support , assistance , guidance and plenty of recommendations on other things besides Cake ....
Folks its a big world out there that happens to be getting smaller every day
It's full of other things besides Cake .We got  doughnuts , muffins, biscuits , wholegrain breads , cookies brownies ,...ectect ...excuse the metaphor / joke    ..

Where do you stand folks ?
Do you trust the recommendations you have gotten here on the forum regarding your software and alternative non Cake DAW's purchases ?  

The motive behind this thread is simple ...I don't know how much longer I will be able to hang out with you guys and gals ...
This forums assets , resources , and helpful people may change in the blink of an eye ...
I want to milk it and enjoy this forum while it s still here ...

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/01 14:15:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/02 19:06:38
I wouldn't have succeeded with the transition to in the box recording without the forum.

They have spurred me on. Taught me so many things. Kept me interested in learning new things. Helped me do it.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/01 17:22:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/02 19:06:43
I take a very measured approach.  There are members here I have a ton of respect for and read their recommendations word for word and still remember that they could be telling the 100% truth yet the product could still be wrong for me. I have great things to say about a number of products, yet know they may be totally wrong for the audience.  I posted a sale in deals that was one of the best products of its kind.....for hip-hop creators. I didn't expect any responses, but you never know.  By the same token, I know that there are products that from a purely technical perspective are amazing, but fall short for certain kinds of workflows. At the end of the day I take recommends as a great starting point.  Reading Bitflipper's review of Melda Autodynamiceq was enough of a prompt to convince me to give it a try. I still demoed for myself, but his review got me past the marketing spiel you will typically get from vendors.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/01 19:17:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2017/12/02 19:43:19
gswitz
I wouldn't have succeeded with the transition to in the box recording without the forum.

They have spurred me on. Taught me so many things. Kept me interested in learning new things. Helped me do it.

Hi gswitz,

When I showed up here around my join date I was coming from a Boss HD recorder . A BR 1180CD .
I didn't know anything about computers and how to use them for recording ...
I had to ask and learn everything  I mean everything  it has been a nice ride ...
Yeah , it was the people here who took the time and patience to hold my hand as I learned each and every little thing it took just to get started ...whether people know it or not I still listen pretty hard to what they have to say .   
Hey thanks for taking the time .

dubdisciple
I take a very measured approach.  There are members here I have a ton of respect for and read their recommendations word for word and still remember that they could be telling the 100% truth yet the product could still be wrong for me. I have great things to say about a number of products, yet know they may be totally wrong for the audience.  I posted a sale in deals that was one of the best products of its kind.....for hip-hop creators. I didn't expect any responses, but you never know.  By the same token, I know that there are products that from a purely technical perspective are amazing, but fall short for certain kinds of workflows. At the end of the day I take recommends as a great starting point.  Reading Bitflipper's review of Melda Autodynamiceq was enough of a prompt to convince me to give it a try. I still demoed for myself, but his review got me past the marketing spiel you will typically get from vendors.

You bring up some real good points about trust and respect Yes I do get what you are saying when you mention 100 % truth for them still may not be just the right fit  for you ...very good point .

As you have mentioned  I have a couple of software products that are truly amazing that I had to put on the shelf .
Very intense learning curves , flexibility up the Kazoo and more features than I can learn in this life time ...
IMHO . there is a small pay off in pride that comes with having taken that step to find out first hand  and then choosing to be happy that I do own the product even as I pursue finding what fits for me best elsewhere ... 
It's sort of like the guy that loved fishing w his buddy's , he has a boat and he always took it out a few times a week.
Once he started a family and stepped up to his responsibility's he may still have his boat ...but he may only get to take it out once or twice a month if he is lucky 

Yeah Bit ..all the time I've been here I thought he hated my guts ...then the forum software munched every other post of mine and I started PM ing him to get my posts restored ..it was a good thing , he helped me out and a lot and someday I hope to meet him

As far as the marketing goes , I can't go there because I will write War and Peace ..in a nut shell ,
My whole thing musically has always been focused on maintaining my talents as a player .
Like some ,I have paid  a lot of dues and felt there were many more dues to pay to get totally fluent on my AXE ...
When I got into this whole DAW thing it felt like the rug got pulled out from under me ...
I went from being really good at one thing and totally sucking at something else which I'm OK with .
I started resenting how much time I had to put in away from my guitar and musical growth just to learn the digital audio thing ..the more I work on the DAW the more my guitar sits . Then what eventually happens for me is I have to put the brakes on everything and simply go back to what I enjoy the most ...playing ...
Its a constant tug of war and I know it doesn't have to be that way ...

sorry about the mini rant  ...it must have needed to have been out out there ...

all the best to you

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

dubdisciple
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/01 19:43:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/02 19:06:48
What i like about people like bit ,scook, mettelus, Jeff Evans, you and several others is they will give you facts regardless of their opinion. Bitflipper is hardly a fan of rap, but he will chip in with sound advice on a rap related production question.
ArcRex
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/01 20:18:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/02 19:06:52
Along the lines of this conversation, if you are looking for an in production DAW, also check out their forums and communities. This forum is superb. (I knew it was good, but I think I under estimated it) Others may not be as functional.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/01 20:41:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/02 19:06:56
I have gained a huge amount of software from reading these threads for sure and for the better might I add. The Software and Deals threads have been unique and often not on other forums.  A lot of great knowledge and ideas have been spread though these forums and some lively discussion too! The software threads here are great areas for learning about new and other other products.  The replacing of a different DAW over time is the lesser compared to the forum group not being in one place anymore.  They say the forum here will be open, but for how long.

The Presonus forum is pretty cool with some very nice and knowledgable people over there.  Its a good place to get to know the program but also plenty of technical tips to and some good discussion.  Maybe some of the Sonar people by coming over there will broaden the people base.  Studio One Expert is also a great site.  With some excellent educators over there too. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/02 03:35:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/02 19:07:01
kennywtelejazz

The motive behind this thread is simple ...I don't know how much longer I will be able to hang out with you guys and gals ...
This forums assets , resources , and helpful people may change in the blink of an eye ...

all the best,

Kenny

One last request Kenny ... if you do decide to abandon this forum, please leave a forwarding address!!! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dubdisciple
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/02 17:10:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/02 19:07:07
This forum is by far the best for any DAW. I have learned so much.
abacab
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/02 18:20:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/02 19:07:11
Just for the record I have been lurking here for 20 years.  Learned a lot here from others, but have only had the time in recent years to participate.  From the beginning I frequently turned to these forums for helpful tips.  I still learn something new every time I read about the current problems others are having, or new tips and techniques!  I joined again with my current user name when I purchased X3.  I didn't remember what my old forum ID was, and needed a new account for the new Cakewalk store.

I started out with Cakewalk Professional 6, that I picked up off the shelf at CompUSA, after I had a meltdown with Voyetra Digital Orchestrator.  Had spent almost an entire weekend recording a buddy's guitar tracks, then "POOF", all was lost in an instant.  Stayed with Cake, upgraded to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, then the Sonars ... and never looked back.  But like Kenny, I have looked around.  I have used Live and Acid Pro, but Project 5 was more fun.

I originally set up a Cakewalk MIDI studio with external synth instruments (keyboards, racks), mixer, etc.  Then as computers got more advanced, I became fascinated with soft synths.  I think Project 5 really fed that addiction! 

Needed more computer power...  Done!!!

Today I have downsized to all soft synths.   Still have my hardware, but it is stored away.  It's mostly ROMpler stuff, never actually had the time or money for the cool analog gear.  But it's crazy what you can do with virtual analog now!

Anyway, if these forums ever go away, it will be a tremendous loss of years of accumulated knowledge about music software, gear, and techniques... 

kennywtelejazz
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/02 19:22:14 (permalink)
dubdisciple
What i like about people like bit ,scook, mettelus, Jeff Evans, you and several others is they will give you facts regardless of their opinion. Bitflipper is hardly a fan of rap, but he will chip in with sound advice on a rap related production question.

You have mentioned some very solid forum members there in your post ...them fellas all belong to
......................................The Cakewalk Forum All Star Team ...........................................................................

ArcRex
Along the lines of this conversation, if you are looking for an in production DAW, also check out their forums and communities. This forum is superb. (I knew it was good, but I think I under estimated it) Others may not be as functional.

I have looked around all over the net  while checking out music forums of the other brand DAW's I own and use ...
Yes , if I want to keep it strictly to the nuts and bolts of a DAW , sure I Ken Do other forums  if I'm in a teachable mood .
I'm a bit of a Wing Nut & I have crossed threads with some rather colorful characters around here over the years
Love that element of this forum ...never a dull moment ...

thanks,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/03 01:29:21 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I have gained a huge amount of software from reading these threads for sure and for the better might I add. The Software and Deals threads have been unique and often not on other forums.  A lot of great knowledge and ideas have been spread though these forums and some lively discussion too! The software threads here are great areas for learning about new and other other products.  The replacing of a different DAW over time is the lesser compared to the forum group not being in one place anymore.  They say the forum here will be open, but for how long.

The Presonus forum is pretty cool with some very nice and knowledgable people over there.  Its a good place to get to know the program but also plenty of technical tips to and some good discussion.  Maybe some of the Sonar people by coming over there will broaden the people base.  Studio One Expert is also a great site.  With some excellent educators over there too. 

Hi Jeff ,

Your Post was pleasant read . Much of what you said in your post about this forum and our members rings pretty much true for me too. I too have enjoyed immensely participating in the various discussions on many of the non Cakewalk DAW's and software deals we all have discussed ....
I know you have put out a lot if good info on Studio One ....I should have listened to you a lot more closely 
I picked up up Studio One Pro 3 a few days back , I'm slowly learning my way around it ....
thanks for sharing 

abacab
kennywtelejazz

all the best,

Kenny

One last request Kenny ... if you do decide to abandon this forum, please leave a forwarding address!!! 

Hi abacab , 

I do have a medical procedure coming up real soon .
I sure hope I survive  other than that , what you quoted  is geared more to the possible day We All  get the dreaded 404  error when we try to come here .....I sure hope that 404 thing don't happen anytime soon .
Anyway , I'm easy to find .... for direct contact  ...my user name  + Aol or Yahoo dot com  ..or one can ping me VIA my Soundcoud or u tube pages ...

thanks

dubdisciple
This forum is by far the best for any DAW. I have learned so much.

+1

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

abacab
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/03 01:47:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:49:03
kennywtelejazz

I sure hope I survive  other than that , what you quoted  is geared more to the possible day We All  get the dreaded 404  error when we try to come here .....I sure hope that 404 thing don't happen anytime soon .
Anyway , I'm easy to find .... for direct contact  ...my user name  + Aol or Yahoo dot com  ..or one can ping me VIA my Soundcoud or u tube pages ...

Hey Kenny, hope your medical issues get resolved quickly!

Yup, that 404 thing had me worried, so I already signed up at the forum started by Bapu @ http://beyondcakewalk.com/forum/

Had to follow Larry and the "deals" over there, right?

Plus he has organized a number of various subforums for different brand DAWs. 

abacab
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/03 01:53:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:48:55
Jeff Evans

I activated my Studio One 3 Pro demo (from Prime), and it is entirely different having access to your favorite VST's. 

I like how it rolls, and now I'm thinking Studio One 3 Pro crossgrade ... just because ... code 'GROUP' @ JRR = $125.16. 

bjornpdx
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/03 02:46:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:48:49
Not sure what kind of a relationship I have with the forum members here. I'm more of a lurker but it seems like I've gotten to know a lot of people by reading their posts. I don't post much because I'm sort of intimidated. I don't have the music background that most people seem to have, on the artist side or on the technical side. Guess I've picked up some experience though by reading about people's successes and failures.

Every time I stumble on something I can usually find a solution on these forums. (I never seem to have an answer to someone else's problem however)  The Songs forum has been a huge help for me. I really appreciate all the comments there. I get a lot out of the Software and Deals forums too but  maybe they have too much influence on me considering all the software I've bought.

I never know what's going on in the Coffee House forum.

Hope the forums continues for awhile longer.

Bjorn
soundcloud.com/orygun
www.bjornfredrickson.com
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/03 03:02:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:48:42
the DAW ones of late have been interesting.. it's no secret I've used reason/cubase/studio one for far longer than cake's recent announcement

its more interesting that within a day or 2 that folk claim to know whats what, with the rival product.. 6 months.. sure.

I used to play "price match tennis" with real shops.. but now I do it online instead.

kennywtelejazz
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/04 14:26:09 (permalink)
abacab
kennywtelejazz

Hey Kenny, hope your medical issues get resolved quickly!

Yup, that 404 thing had me worried, so I already signed up at the forum started by Bapu @ http://beyondcakewalk.com/forum/

Had to follow Larry and the "deals" over there, right?

Plus he has organized a number of various subforums for different brand DAWs. 

Hi abacab,

Well, If you don't see me around in a couple of weeks it means they didn't get resolved ...
Oh Yeah P 5 did feed the VST synth addiction

abacab
Jeff Evans

I activated my Studio One 3 Pro demo (from Prime), and it is entirely different having access to your favorite VST's. 

I like how it rolls, and now I'm thinking Studio One 3 Pro crossgrade ... just because ... code 'GROUP' @ JRR = $125.16. 

After messing around w Prime for a while I wound up just picking up Studio One 3 Pro seems nice so far ...

Hi Bjorn ,

+1 on" Hope the forums continues for awhile longer."

Hi Fog ,

I think the recent Cakewalk situation has really shook up the Calmer Waters of the Lake ...
All the stuff that was just sitting there at the bottom has seemed to come up to the surface and now people are scrambling ...
I have used Samplitude , Mixbus , Logic and a bunch of other DAW's combined w SONAR for years ...
In the past year I have incorporated learning & using Reaper , Tracktion & Mixcraft ...there's more but I will keep it at that for now ...
I'm happy I didn't have to do any of this under the gun checking them all out in my own sweet time
I did pick up Studio One 3 Pro ...the cross grade deal for a SONAR Refugee was SWEET

It's been  nice hanging out w you guys,
all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/04 17:36:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Karyn 2017/12/04 23:47:21
In the Cakewalk Audio days there was a Usenet group that I wasn’t apart of. I didn’t get online till Sonar Producer 3 in 2004. I couldn’t recount all the things I learned from the folks here, not just about Sonar but all sorts of things, especially people. I couldn’t measure the help, put a price on it nor ever pay it back. You know, no one has ever asked me for a cent.

That’s rare these days where everything seems to be for sale, here, mostly it’s given freely.

We’ve noticed friends missing only to find out they’ve died in the meantime and we didn’t know about their suffering. We’ve even tracked down families so we could offer our condolences and share our experiences. We’ve banded together and helped different ones to buy Sonar because they were doing it tough. Why? Because we know what a powerful healing tool music is and it’s a great thing to share if it’s within your means to do it. That’s just a few thing that you don’t see every day, but here everyday you see strangers helping one another, giving up their time.

Sure, Sonars just a piece of software, but I ask you would Sonar be more or less without this forum. After being here for so long and having seen so many come and go I can only conclude that this particular piece of software would be greatly diminished if it didn’t go hand in hand with this forum.

The folks out there who use Sonar yet don’t know about or don’t use the forum, haven’t a clue on what they’re missing.

While we contemplate what might lay ahead, let’s make sure that what we contribute is worth remembering. Thanks to you all for making this place what it is.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/04 23:37:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:48:31
Hear, hear to all of the above. It's been a great ride in (mostly) very fine company! I'll miss it when it disappears, whether suddenly or just, you know, gradually fading away...

For some reason I have Jules, Samuel Jackson's character from Pulp Fiction in my head saying "I'm in a transitional period"...

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
kennywtelejazz
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/05 18:12:39 (permalink)
mudgel
In the Cakewalk Audio days there was a Usenet group that I wasn’t apart of. I didn’t get online till Sonar Producer 3 in 2004. I couldn’t recount all the things I learned from the folks here, not just about Sonar but all sorts of things, especially people. I couldn’t measure the help, put a price on it nor ever pay it back. You know, no one has ever asked me for a cent.

That’s rare these days where everything seems to be for sale, here, mostly it’s given freely.

We’ve noticed friends missing only to find out they’ve died in the meantime and we didn’t know about their suffering. We’ve even tracked down families so we could offer our condolences and share our experiences. We’ve banded together and helped different ones to buy Sonar because they were doing it tough. Why? Because we know what a powerful healing tool music is and it’s a great thing to share if it’s within your means to do it. That’s just a few thing that you don’t see every day, but here everyday you see strangers helping one another, giving up their time.

Sure, Sonars just a piece of software, but I ask you would Sonar be more or less without this forum. After being here for so long and having seen so many come and go I can only conclude that this particular piece of software would be greatly diminished if it didn’t go hand in hand with this forum.

The folks out there who use Sonar yet don’t know about or don’t use the forum, haven’t a clue on what they’re missing.

While we contemplate what might lay ahead, let’s make sure that what we contribute is worth remembering. Thanks to you all for making this place what it is.

Excellent Post 

thank you for sharing ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/06 02:08:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:48:23
Too many.  Bitflipper's post have been the most helpful when it comes to thinking twice about the impulse purchase. KVR gossip is also helpful. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kennywtelejazz
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/06 02:49:54 (permalink)
subtlearts
Hear, hear to all of the above. It's been a great ride in (mostly) very fine company! I'll miss it when it disappears, whether suddenly or just, you know, gradually fading away...

For some reason I have Jules, Samuel Jackson's character from Pulp Fiction in my head saying "I'm in a transitional period"...

Yes that was a good post you acknowledged .
Tough break for Cakewalk , I'm sad to see this ride come to a close ...if and when it happens  ...
thanks ...

kitekrazy1
Too many.  Bitflipper's post have been the most helpful when it comes to thinking twice about the impulse purchase. KVR gossip is also helpful. 

Well , we all have our ways and methods to justify feeding the Ole GAS Monster

I have recently purchased some software ... Someone that does not know me or my needs may consider them to be an impulse purchase ...
I sat and waited out around 4 sales cycles over a period of over a year on each of these purchases ...
Too me an impulse buy is buying the software the first time it goes on sale ...not the fifth time it goes on sale
By then the fifth sale ... I'm already brainwashed so I actually need it   or so I think

Alright that's it ....lets pick a member here and do a software intervention ...who are we going after ?

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/06 05:49:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/15 09:19:51
I owe my present working DAW to this forum. I had inherited an Apollo and and a well built Win 7 system and decided to upgrade from Sonar 5  to Pro last April ( damn glad I did by the way ) . Well the Apollo shuddered and was basically useless until I dragged up an old thread through the search feature on this forum  that taught me to tune the MaX threads count in the ini file correctly. I was really in a bad state until this forum rendered a priceless fix. So my favorite software is - You're looking at it.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
kennywtelejazz
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/15 09:19:41 (permalink)
Rbh
I owe my present working DAW to this forum. I had inherited an Apollo and and a well built Win 7 system and decided to upgrade from Sonar 5  to Pro last April ( damn glad I did by the way ) . Well the Apollo shuddered and was basically useless until I dragged up an old thread through the search feature on this forum  that taught me to tune the MaX threads count in the ini file correctly. I was really in a bad state until this forum rendered a priceless fix. So my favorite software is - You're looking at it.

Hi Rbh,

Last week when you posted your post I happened to miss seeing it  ...
I was in the hospital . When I got out I guess the thread had already slipped off page one ...

I loved SONAR 5 ...
I went from HS 2 to S 5 SE ...then when 6 came out I bumped up to 6 PE and ran it from 2006 to 2013 ...
Like you I eventually upgraded ...

Sure thing , I hear you loud and clear .
The best software has always been the people I can connect with here on the forum
When I showed up here I had been using HD recorders . I didn't know anything about computers or how to use them to record . It was the people here on the forum that reached out to me and helped me find my own way ...
With out them I would be nothing ..

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/15 23:02:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:48:14
Same story for me Mangolater. Roland had cancelled the VS 2480 and other recorders. I figured since Roland owned Cakewalk that would be a logical way to go. It wound up making 0% difference. But glad I came to these forum. Anytime I Googled a question it brought me here.
post edited by BassDaddy - 2017/12/18 22:05:34

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/16 19:42:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:48:10
Ever google a question and have the first result be your own post?

It's weird. Makes you wonder if you're the only person on the planet to ask the question.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
abacab
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/16 19:50:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:48:06
Synchronicity! 

cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/16 20:08:17 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:44:26
I stumbled upon Sonar from Cubase land.  After watching some X1 Video's I was 
definitely intrigued, so downloaded the demo, and was immediately hooked.  Bye bye
Cubase.  While the MIDI implementation in Sonar was not quite "there" as Cubase was,
I was far more impressed with the workflow of Sonar.  It just felt right!  

These forums have been my guiding light, and the advice and recommendations from
the folks here, as well as the kindness, has been second to NONE!  I've been in other
forums, and they just don't "have it", that is, what this forum has, in any way. 
It's just not the same anywhere else IMO.

So, HERE is too ALL OF YOU!!! You all made this place home, and, sadly, I don't think
any other place will ever be home.  Just a "domicile" from henceforth.  It just won't be
the same.

I'll still be here till the lights are out, and the doors are closed, and locked!
Home is where the heart is...and THIS has been my home!

AndyB01
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/16 20:25:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/18 19:47:59
I started with HomeStudio XL God alone knows how long ago with a Soundblaster sound card and quickly discovered the joys of latency. 🤣 Good advice to buy a 'proper' sound card was one of my first encounters with this forum. I've had so much great advice I've lost count and I've occasionally been able to put a bit back based on my own limited knowledge and experience.

I have massively enjoyed the songs forum - so much talent (self excluded) and diversity of genre - seriously humbling. I have also received great constructive critique for my own efforts and I think I'm a better songwriter for it - thank you for all those great comments.

Oh and I only ever got flamed once - my thanks to like-minded posters and mods who put that particular individual to the sword - you know who you are.

I shall miss you all.

Andy

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

kennywtelejazz
Re: Software how much have you gained by following some of our Forum members recomendatio 2017/12/18 19:47:53 (permalink)
BassDaddy
Same story for me Magolater. Roland had cancelled the VS 2480 and other recorders. I figured since Roland owned Cakewalk that would be a logical way to go. It wound up making 0% difference. But glad I came to these forum. Anytime I Googled a question it brought me here.

Hi BassDaddy ,

I always wondered about some of those Roland VS set ups ...were they any good ?...
I know I used to sit around and drool over them ...

Just before I showed up here I had been using a Roland BR1180 CD ..I still have it ...it's put away for now ...

When I showed up here I had gotten  my first PC , a donated P 3 w a soundblaster card in it ...
Talk about green huh ? The Mangulator over here was Greener than as Green as they get

bitflipper
Ever google a question and have the first result be your own post?

It's weird. Makes you wonder if you're the only person on the planet to ask the question.

The first Google result wow , Your a smart guy , that one doesn't surprise me  ...
I have had a lighter version of that happen to me where the Google search results placed my post within the first page somewhere's around the 6 or 7 th suggestion...
Luckily  I was able to find what I was looking for in the other 6 or 7 suggestions  ..

abacab
Synchronicity! 

Love it when it happens

CC Larry , I'm giving you the green for now ...
I dug your post . I'm gonna come back when I have some time to comment proper ...

Andy , same thing as far as coming back ..I also dug your post and I will come back when I have some time to comment proper

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1