Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2013/12/26 14:27:44 (permalink)

Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers

[Hidden agenda alert: I think the topic of using Take Lanes as Layers would make a great article for my Sonar column in Sound on Sound magazine, as there seems to be confusion/controversy around the subject. So, the purpose of this thread is not to start a flame war about Take Lanes; we have enough of those. The purpose is to offer solutions to those who want Take Lanes to work as much like Layers as possible. I believe that with a few exceptions this is possible, and without complicated workarounds. 

HOWEVER, before writing this up, I want to make sure my thinking is correct. I am hoping that people who want to use Take Lanes as Layers will read this and 1) verify that what I'm suggesting works, 2) if possible, propose additional solutions or workarounds I haven't addressed that make Take Lanes seem more like Layers. I'm just trying to be helpful here...as well as gather material for another column.]

While the new features in Take Lanes were designed for comping applications involving a particular workflow, as far as I can tell they can do pretty much everything you could do with Layers. I say "as far as I can tell" because I didn't use Layers all that much, but I think I've found the key to using Take Lanes as Layers:

After recording your Lanes/Layers, DON'T USE THE COMPING TOOLS FOR EDITING unless you actually want to comp using the workflow for which Take Lanes were intended.

If you want to start splitting clips, right-click on the Edit Tool button and select the Split tool. In the case of parts that aren't played to a click, you can split wherever you want; if you select multiple clips and split, they'll all split in the same place.

If you want to edit clips, right-click on the Edit Tool and select Edit. DON'T use the crossfade tool that's optimized for comping. You can do all of the following edits (and probably more) to individual clips:

• All fade-in and fade-out options
  • All slip edit functions
  • All slip edit functions involving fade-in/fade-out
  • Time-stretching (e.g., slip-edit while holding down Ctrl)
  • Slide clips in the Lane's time line
  • Use a Lane's Edit Filter to do clip automation Gain or Pan
  • Play back multiple clips simultaneously by unmuting muted clips (the "I'm layering sounds and want all the takes to play back through the same FX bin and/or go to the same send" scenario)
  • Insert clip FX
  • Delete all muted clips
  • Delete all empty Lanes
  • Flatten everything into its own Lane, which you can then drag into a track if you want to do track-type treatments
Note: The Smart Tool will also do many things the Edit Tool does, but I haven't investigated all the possibilities yet. For example, I know you can alt-click to split with the Smart Tool, but the tool has to be positioned in the correct part of the waveform or it won't seem to work.

Caution #1: Be careful about what clips are selected. For example if three clips are selected and you apply a fade-out to one of them, all three will have the same fade-out applied.

Caution #2: In some editing scenarios you may need to go back and forth between the Select and Edit (and possible the Mute) tools. The function keys speed up this process.

Here are some things you CAN'T do with Take Lanes (at least I haven't figured out how):

• Do automatic crossfades within a Lane, because clips within the same lane can't overlap. Workaround: Create a new Take Lane, move the clip you want to crossfade into it, and do a manual fade in/fade out for the overlapping clips. [Edit: Actually you can do crossfades on the Comp clip in the parent track if the Take Lanes aren't showing - see Brundlefly's post #4 below]
  • Create a clip Region FX and apply Melodyne. Workaround: Drag the clip into a standard track, apply Melodyne, then drag back into the Layer.
  • Add Automation envelopes (other than clip automation) within Lanes.

Without using the Comping tools, edits are done manually and Take Lanes behave more like Layers. With the Comping tools, a lot of the comping process is automated (taking the place of the Isolate function in Layers, which was the best option at the time for comping). Perhaps it's the default to the automated comping processes that's keeping people from using Take Lanes like Layers.

Caveat: As I said, I didn't use Layers that much so there may be some Layer-specific features important to people that I'm missing. If so, there may be ways around any limitations that would make the article even more useful.
post edited by Anderton - 2013/12/27 13:44:28

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

55 Replies Related Threads

Guitarmech111
    Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5085
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 14:45:19 (permalink)
    This subject reminds me of the audio view transition... Good thread Craig.

Peace,
    Conley Shepherd
    Joyful Noise Productions
    PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 14:56:47 (permalink)
    Excellent idea, Craig. As you've pointed out, and I've also mentioned several times, staying away from the Comping tool is one key. I think there are also key differences between the way pre-takelane versions re-used layers when recording to different (i.e. non-overlapping) parts of a project (with or without looping), which seems to be a significant part of the discomfort with take lanes, and can only be worked around by dragging clips to the desired lane(s) between takes.

Scratch that last thought; I just checked in X1, and the behavior is the same - the most recently recorded lane/layer gets re-used when you record to another section of the project, and new lanes are added from there as needed when loop-recording. so either way, you'd have to drag clips (down in X3, up in X1 where lane order is reversed) to consolidate lanes/layers.

EDIT: Hmmm... strikethrough font not as obvious after posting as it is while editing.
    post edited by brundlefly - 2013/12/26 15:09:32

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    brundlefly
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 15:15:15 (permalink)
    Anderton

Here are some things you CAN'T do with Take Lanes (at least I haven't figured out how):

• Do automatic crossfades within a Lane, because clips within the same lane can't overlap. Workaround: Create a new Take Lane, move the clip you want to crossfade into it, and do a manual fade in/fade out for the overlapping clips.
    This one's a little weird, because you can do it if lanes are not showing when you create the overlap, and the Ref. Guide says the same will happen with lanes showing. I've reported this to the Bakers. Should be possible in Blend editing mode.

From the X3 Ref. Guide on page 384 under "Using Take Lanes":

"Note 2: If the Track view Options > Auto Crossfade option is enabled, SONAR adds acrossfade between any newly overlapped clips that are on the same Take lane."

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 15:58:01 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    Excellent idea, Craig. As you've pointed out, and I've also mentioned several times, staying away from the Comping tool is one key. I think there are also key differences between the way pre-takelane versions re-used layers when recording to different (i.e. non-overlapping) parts of a project (with or without looping), which seems to be a significant part of the discomfort with take lanes, and can only be worked around by dragging clips to the desired lane(s) between takes.

Scratch that last thought; I just checked in X1, and the behavior is the same - the most recently recorded lane/layer gets re-used when you record to another section of the project, and new lanes are added from there as needed when loop-recording. so either way, you'd have to drag clips (down in X3, up in X1 where lane order is reversed) to consolidate lanes/layers.

Agreed, in this case Take Lanes work the same way as Layers. Here's how I deal with the issue.

Suppose I recorded several Layers in one track at the beginning of the song and wanted to record more Layers of the same instrument toward the end of the song:

1. Clone the first track, but without Events. Do the loop recording for the next section in the clone track.
    2. Comp the first part using the data in the first track and the second part using the data in the second track.
    3. Select both tracks, then bounce to the first track (or to a new track, it doesn't matter; but if the first track is set up with effects, sends, etc., it makes more sense to bounce to the first track).

All the parts now end up bounced in the first track's highest Take Lane.

The reason this works for me is I don't go back and forth among sections when comping, I comp one then do another. So it doesn't matter that they're on separate tracks.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    brundlefly
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 18:31:15 (permalink)
    My suggestion in one of the threads where this came up was to continue recording in the same track and:

- Lasso each new set of takes and Shift+drag them down to the original set of lanes
    - Right-click the comp clip and Remove Empty Take Lanes.

It seems to me this is not a flow-busting amount of housekeeping to do between takes.

bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 18:58:31 (permalink)
    Can you import audio files into take lanes? I usually track outside the box and import the audio files into Sonar for mixing. Thanks.

Rocky
    Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 18:59:29 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    My suggestion in one of the threads where this came up was to continue recording in the same track and:

- Lasso each new set of takes and Shift+drag them down to the original set of lanes
    - Right-click the comp clip and Remove Empty Take Lanes.

It seems to me this is not a flow-busting amount of housekeeping to do between takes.

I'm with you on the shift+drag if you want to keep takes in the same general lanes; it's not onerous. However I don't think Remove Empty Take Lanes would help much, though because the lanes for the second set of Takes get added to the existing takes. There aren't really any empty lanes; if there are empty lanes in one group of takes, that's because the lanes are occupied in other takes.

I'll check into the crossfade thing in more detail later on, I haven't really looked into what happens if the Take Lanes are folded up and you crossfade in the main track.

neirbod
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 19:31:28 (permalink)
    Great idea, but if I may suggest a slightly different approach. Instead of "Using lanes as layers" how about stepping back a bit and having an article on "Editing using lanes in Sonar X3".  This opens it up to interest from others who may not have ever used a layer but who are new to DAWs or coming from other DAWs and interested in how efficient editing is in Sonar.  

I am trying very hard to learn new methods to make X3 work for me, and appreciate the ideas posted above.  However I still find some very basic things hard.  For example, in layers if I wanted to replace a flubbed snare hit, I could easily copy and paste one from another section into a new layer, line it up with the one I wanted to replace (zooming in and out and moving the new one as necessary until the timing was right) and then trim out the old hit in the first layer.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this with lanes.  I can copy and paste fine, and put the new hit into a new lane so I can use the old one as a reference.  But pasting immediately hides the overlapping section of the first lane so I can't use it as a reference.  If I drag the edge of that clip to see the old hit, it disappears again as soon as I move the copied one.  Perhaps there is a way around this, but it is just one example where I still struggle with basic editing in lanes.   

-----------------
    Windows 7 64
    Sonar Platinum
    Intel i7 3.4 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 mobo
    RME UFX and UCX
    brundlefly
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 19:57:20 (permalink)
    neirbod
    I can copy and paste fine, and put the new hit into a new lane so I can use the old one as a reference.  But pasting immediately hides the overlapping section of the first lane so I can't use it as a reference.  If I drag the edge of that clip to see the old hit, it disappears again as soon as I move the copied one.

I'm not understanding the problem exactly. If the copied hit is in a parallel lane, you should be able to line it up in advance and then just Shift+drag it to the other lane (Shift preserves timing). Since SONAR doesn't allow same-lane overlaps, it will automatically slip-edit the original flubbed hit out of the way. Done.

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 21:51:20 (permalink)

This is a great thread for someone like me that never learned layers and has been waiting for the dust to settle before learning lanes.  I hope it will also help people reach a common understanding of what the different tools are or should be in a general purpose toolbox.  There is surely a lot of common ground between everyone's personal way of doing things.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 22:24:20 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    neirbod
    I can copy and paste fine, and put the new hit into a new lane so I can use the old one as a reference.  But pasting immediately hides the overlapping section of the first lane so I can't use it as a reference.  If I drag the edge of that clip to see the old hit, it disappears again as soon as I move the copied one.

I'm not understanding the problem exactly. If the copied hit is in a parallel lane, you should be able to line it up in advance and then just Shift+drag it to the other lane (Shift preserves timing). Since SONAR doesn't allow same-lane overlaps, it will automatically slip-edit the original flubbed hit out of the way. Done.

That's what I would suggest as well. Neirbod, are you using the crossfade tool that's part of the comping toolset? This hides and moves things in unwanted ways if you're just doing editing and not Sonar's specific comping workflow.

Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 22:25:57 (permalink)
    Paul P

This is a great thread for someone like me that never learned layers and has been waiting for the dust to settle before learning lanes.  I hope it will also help people reach a common understanding of what the different tools are or should be in a general purpose toolbox.  There is surely a lot of common ground between everyone's personal way of doing things.

Yes, and I started this thread so I could learn too! I have a feeling I'm using Take Lanes (and their alter ego Layers) to about 50% of their potential...maybe not even that much. I'm finding out Take Lanes are a pretty deep new feature, not just Layers in new clothes...although the more I get into this, the more it seems you can take the clothes off and find Layers underneath

Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/26 22:43:02 (permalink)
    Nice thread...

Thanks Craig... I think it would be a great article...

I'll have to document what I've been doing, but I'm pretty tuned up for the coming weeks... I will do what I can...

I do much as you as far as cloning a track to do various areas and then comp them to a final track in different ways... Circumstance dependent...

While searching for answers to deal with this, I found some things that made it faster thane some of the tool shifting... It still requires some but I was able to do all but auto cross fades which I never use. I would expect thus to work fine at the track level when lanes are hidden as I think it was brindle fly who mentioned... I'll have to verify that as well...

What I seemed able to do was work with the smart tool and split... I could activate lanes/clips using K (mute) allowed me to individually manage fades... I believe that with an extra modifier added to the alt-click (such as Ctrl-alt-click) to allow splitting of individual clips instead of all lanes... I would like to see that come...

I'll do my best to document this ASAP, but that's the gist of it... So staying with the smart tool and F8 to toggle to split made it pretty fast. After the first time toggling through the F8 seek cations to split, I could quickly move from smart tool to split with a single key press from F5<>F8<>F5...

Thanks for tackling this topic. I agree that it seems quit an issue... Some such as myself have been using layers in many ways for many years and have learned how to use them to great benefit even though they fell short of the designers' hopes...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    brundlefly
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 00:53:29 (permalink)
    Keni
    I believe that with an extra modifier added to the alt-click (such as Ctrl-alt-click) to allow splitting of individual clips instead of all lanes... I would like to see that come...

Hey Keni, I didn't catch all the responses in the other thread about this, but we need to get to the bottom of why your Alt-click with the Smart-tool isn't splitting takes individually. I think you're the exception on this.

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 03:05:24 (permalink)
    I think the article idea would definitely help, as these threads do have a lot of good information in them, but do not work as a good reference.

A couple things came back to mind as I read this thread. I probably do odd things with my work flow, but for things I do they work well.

1) When trying to "deal" with the comp cursor, I will at times simply add empty tracks and shift-drag the takes. Tracks are "free" and it resets the "smart tool" to its track behavior. (I do agree in a simple toggle do this for all of the others struggling) This is not a "solution," by any means, but at times quicker.

2) I know people find this one odd until they see me do it... vertical space is a concern on any monitor, so when "piece parting" things together, I will move the pieces into the Matrix View. For 50% of my vertical space I now can "see" 70 clips even with the inspector open. (Even just one MV row viewable will give me 10). Rather than waste that vertical space in a track/take lane, I can drag to and fro from the Matrix View easily. That way I only need 2-3 tracks "in view" at a time and still work effectively. Obviously this will not work for certain applications (like true takes used in comping), but does work as a "built in clipboard" of sorts.

My use of take lanes has mostly been for comping so far, and I can envision people comments about comping drum sets but never done it, so a "nice reference" would be very handy for folks.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    neirbod
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 09:33:35 (permalink)
    Anderton
    brundlefly
    neirbod

That's what I would suggest as well. Neirbod, are you using the crossfade tool that's part of the comping toolset? This hides and moves things in unwanted ways if you're just doing editing and not Sonar's specific comping workflow.

Thanks for your thoughts. I found a workaround that helps.  To be more clear about the issue, say you have already comped and have just a single take, and now want to copy and paste a note from one section to another.  Paste the copied note, drag it to a new lane, and then move the edges of the original take (which now has a hole where the pasted note was) so you can see the flubbed note and use it as a timing reference.    So far so good.  The issue I had was I would then drag the clip for the new note to adjust the timing, which immediately resulted in recreating the hole in the original take.  The solution - use the "move data within a clip" feature of slip edit instead of moving the clip itself.  This leave the original take visible.  Once lined up, you can collapse the lanes and use crossfading on the track to make the edit seamless.

Three thoughts that may be useful in developing this article, and more generally for those trying figure out how to edit using them:

1) I found that "move data within a clip" is essential for editing within take lanes. I rarely used this with layers, instead moving entire clips and then using layers' good tools for trimming edges of overlapping layers.  With lanes, using this approach I would get lots of tiny clip fragments and small gaps between.  Moving data within clips is much better for my workflow.

2) The tools associated with editing with takes expanded vs. collapsed are quite different which can result in confusion (at least for me!).  For example, some powerful crossfading tools within lanes are simply not available with lanes collapsed, and auto-crossfade works only with lanes collapsed.  That being said, each has strengths and you can toggle back and forth to use the best of each.  In the example I gave above, I found the best workflow is to copy/paste and adjust timing with lanes expanded, then create the crossfades with lanes collapsed to take advantage of "auto crossfade", and then make any fine adjustments to the crossfade with lanes expanded again due to the nice tools available (e.g., one can move the timing of the entire crossfade as a unit in lanes, but not in the parent track).  

3) In general, while comping and editing steps can be combined I find this can be quite confusing and result in clip fragments and gaps.  For me, I try to comp first (perhaps making a minor edit or two at this stage) and only begin editing once you have a single comped take to work with.  Of course not all mixing is this linear, so sometimes you may want access to a different take once you are deep into editing.  So, prior to comping I duplicate the entire track(s) with all reasonably good takes and archive it so I have everything available if needed even if I am deep into the editing phase.

Looking forward to the article, Craig.

Cheers,

David

-----------------
    Windows 7 64
    Sonar Platinum
    Intel i7 3.4 GHz
    RME UFX and UCX
    neirbod
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 09:43:24 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    Keni
    I believe that with an extra modifier added to the alt-click (such as Ctrl-alt-click) to allow splitting of individual clips instead of all lanes... I would like to see that come...

Hey Keni, I didn't catch all the responses in the other thread about this, but we need to get to the bottom of why your Alt-click with the Smart-tool isn't splitting takes individually. I think you're the exception on this.

ALT+click works for me as well, splitting just the actual take I click on.  

Are we all talking about the same thing here?  If I have grouped clips (e.g., Overhead and kick) with takes 1 and 2, ALT+click on take 1 will split *both* the OH and kick on take 1, but neither mic on take 2.  This makes the most sense for multi-miced instruments, at least the vast majority of the time.  Not sure if Keni means he wants the ability to split "OH take 1" without splitting "kick take 1."  To my knowledge this is possible only if you remove the clips in question from the groups.

-----------------
    Windows 7 64
    Sonar Platinum
    Intel i7 3.4 GHz
    RME UFX and UCX
    Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 11:21:54 (permalink)
    Wow, all your suggestions are great!!! Much appreciated. Had to jump off and do other things, but will check into other Take Lane/Layer elements over the weekend.

stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 11:38:50 (permalink)
    neirbod

...The solution - use the "move data within a clip" feature of slip edit instead of moving the clip itself.  This leave the original take visible.  Once lined up, you can collapse the lanes and use crossfading on the track to make the edit seamless.

...1) I found that "move data within a clip" is essential for editing within take lanes. I rarely used this with layers, instead moving entire clips and then using layers' good tools for trimming edges of overlapping layers.  With lanes, using this approach I would get lots of tiny clip fragments and small gaps between.  Moving data within clips is much better for my workflow.

That is an often forgot editing ability that could really come in handy just as you've outlined.   And it's definitely something that I can see Craig including in his article since it completely eliminates editing clip boundaries. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

neirbod
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 11:58:18 (permalink)
    stevec
    That is an often forgot editing ability that could really come in handy just as you've outlined.   

Agreed.  I actually had long forgotten this tool existed.  I don't recall any tutorial/video about Sonar that demonstrates this tool, and it really wasn't that important with layers, which could explain why it could be easily forgotten.  I only thought about it after I saw a video on editing in Cubase where they used a similar tool effectively.  I actually came close to putting in a feature request for such a tool, until a small a small light bulb went off and I thought "perhaps I can already do this in Sonar?"  

-----------------
    Windows 7 64
    Sonar Platinum
    Intel i7 3.4 GHz
    RME UFX and UCX
    Keni
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 12:09:46 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    Keni

Thanks brundlefly...

It's been driving me batty here... I have a mix session beginning today and I'm sure to get a workout at comping and the likes, so I will see more...

Maybe something I'm doing wrong or some mode I've been in while unaware... I'll post more ASAP...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Keni
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 12:19:19 (permalink)
    neirbod
    brundlefly
    Keni

ALT+click works for me as well, splitting just the actual take I click on.  

Are we all talking about the same thing here?  If I have grouped clips (e.g., Overhead and kick) with takes 1 and 2, ALT+click on take 1 will split *both* the OH and kick on take 1, but neither mic on take 2.  This makes the most sense for multi-miced instruments, at least the vast majority of the time.  Not sure if Keni means he wants the ability to split "OH take 1" without splitting "kick take 1."  To my knowledge this is possible only if you remove the clips in question from the groups.

Hi neirbod...

I'm a bit confused by your example, but it may be exactly what you're describing...

On a single track with multiple lanes..

If I select an individual lane/clip and execute an alt-click, it splits all of the lanes on the track instead of the single one I selected.

Maybe I was too confused and doing something wrong? I'm starting an album mix for a client today so I'm sure I'll be doing some comping and such a bit... I'll report more ASAP...

BTW... I do not currently use groups at all...

Thanks...
    Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

brundlefly
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 13:03:42 (permalink)
    The only way I get more than one clip split by Alt+click is by selecting clips in other lanes in the same time range (or the whole track) before Alt+clicking on one. If I select only one clip (or nothing), only the clip I click gets split.

EDIT: And, yes, when tracks are grouped Alt-click will split corresponding clips in the group as expected, but I don't that's a factor here.
    post edited by brundlefly - 2013/12/27 13:15:34

Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 13:38:37 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    Anderton

• Do automatic crossfades within a Lane, because clips within the same lane can't overlap. Workaround: Create a new Take Lane, move the clip you want to crossfade into it, and do a manual fade in/fade out for the overlapping clips.
    This one's a little weird, because you can do it if lanes are not showing when you create the overlap, and the Ref. Guide says the same will happen with lanes showing. I've reported this to the Bakers. Should be possible in Blend editing mode.

"Note 2: If the Track view Options > Auto Crossfade option is enabled, SONAR adds acrossfade between any newly overlapped clips that are on the same Take lane."

You're right! Not showing the Take Lanes while doing the overlap was the solution. Thanks! I've gone back and edited the original post to reflect this.

Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 13:49:52 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    The only way I get more than one clip split by Alt+click is by selecting clips in other lanes in the same time range (or the whole track)...

If the Comp clip in the parent track is selected, that selects all Take Lanes and will also cause a split to affect all Take Lanes. I'm sure you know that, but maybe Keni has the Comp clip selected?

Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 14:10:09 (permalink)
    stevec
    neirbod

...The solution - use the "move data within a clip" feature of slip edit instead of moving the clip itself.  This leave the original take visible.  Once lined up, you can collapse the lanes and use crossfading on the track to make the edit seamless.

...1) I found that "move data within a clip" is essential for editing within take lanes. I rarely used this with layers, instead moving entire clips and then using layers' good tools for trimming edges of overlapping layers.  With lanes, using this approach I would get lots of tiny clip fragments and small gaps between.  Moving data within clips is much better for my workflow.

That is an often forgot editing ability that could really come in handy just as you've outlined.   And it's definitely something that I can see Craig including in his article since it completely eliminates editing clip boundaries. 

That is indeed a great tip. For those who don't remember the keyboard shortcut, it's Alt+Shift and click/drag in the clip's top half.
    post edited by Anderton - 2013/12/27 14:40:21

neirbod
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 15:55:33 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    Anderton

Agree this is odd behavior, and one of the several (many?) quirks and bugs that make using takes more confusing and difficult than it should be.  Glad you reported it.

Cleaning up this kind of buggy behavior would go a long way toward making takes more useful.  Craig, I hope that your article will not just discuss how best to use takes in their current form, but also a list of such oddities/bugs and any feature requests to recommend that Sonar address so that this feature can achieve its rather high potential.  

-----------------
    Windows 7 64
    Sonar Platinum
    Intel i7 3.4 GHz
    RME UFX and UCX
    rontarrant
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 643
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 20:58:50 (permalink)
    I stumbled into layer-like editing once in the last week, but wasn't paying enough attention to know how I did it (or even if it was really all that hard to get into that 'mode'). I haven't done it since, but only because the need hasn't come up again yet.

I can, however, say that it worked. I was able to rearrange clips using two take lanes as if they were layers and then bounced the end product to a new track... which I did rather quickly while crossing my fingers and hoping nothing went south before the bounce was finished.

-Ron T.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
    Anderton
    Re: Solutions for Using Take Lanes as Layers 2013/12/27 22:12:19 (permalink)
    neirbod
    Craig, I hope that your article will not just discuss how best to use takes in their current form, but also a list of such oddities/bugs and any feature requests to recommend that Sonar address so that this feature can achieve its rather high potential. 

Well, I'm not sure an article is the right venue for that. First, I have to fit everything in 1500 words max + 3 screen shots; readers will likely prefer that I cover what they can do than what they can't. Second, the time between writing and publication can be several months. As a result some limitations may or may not have been addressed by the time the article hits.

Third, I'm sure the Bakers will prioritize improvements based on available resources, not what's written in my Sound on Sound column. That said, I do report issues, and I have seen some of them so up in fixes so I know they're listening.

I know for a fact the people at Cakewalk are highly committed to making Sonar the best software possible. Reality does have a tendency to throw roadblocks in their path, but they evaluate every tradeoff very carefully to try and provide the maximum benefit for the maximum number of users.

For example. I've been thinking about the crossfade thing. I can understand where crossfading in the parent track clip, where you can only see clips in their non-overlapped state, would make crossfading easier. What if you had crossfades in the same place but in different Take Lanes? Then the parent track clip would have to decide which Take Lane crossfade had priority, and display that. Or maybe do a temp rendering of only the complicated crossfades...then display the results of that. Or it could be that being able to do crossfades with Take Lanes visible creates a whole can of worms compared to doing crossfades on the parent track.

Some limitations exist because a solution is exponentially more difficult that it might appear to someone like me, who doesn't code. But now that I know crossfades can happen if the Take Lanes aren't visible, that's certainly better than thinking they can't be done at all. An article can help make others aware of this kind of thing.

The next thing I want to try in Take Lanes is using them as independently recordable tracks to see if that allows for any interesting potential workflows.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1