Helpful Reply[Solved] Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 18:53:48 (permalink)
Hi Steve:

That's actually some great advice Doktor just gave above.

Since you said SONAR chrashes without any Slate plug ins in a project, try to check for problems with Windows and hardware. Run malware/virus scans, do "error-checking of your HDDs running your Operating System and SONAR Projects. Do memory tests, and if you're overclocking, stop it, at least 'til you figure out the problem/s. 

This is a great forum for help. Eventually, users here or Cakewalk Tech Support will help you find out what's wrong. Don't get so mad or frustrated that you stop troubleshooting 'til you get to the bottom of the issue/s.

Goodluck, fellow.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2015/07/26 20:14:56

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 19:38:27 (permalink)
So, despite what the "settled science" guys say we've been cooling for 15 years or so and soon we're going into a mini ice age....
Real science is NEVER settled.

But I digress.... I have no idea what that off the cuff and very authoritative sounding comment had to do with Sonar, so I may as well get my dig in.....

back to your regular programming.

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 20:06:14 (permalink)
Re the thread title, it's not a question of making anyone feel better. Either your priority is getting assistance, or your priority is venting. There are a bunch of people here who already feel good about Platinum, and your experience won't change theirs, nor do they need validation. They simply want to help you to experience what they experience.

Disciplined troubleshooting, as opposed to blindly reinstalling things or whatever, is often a process of elimination. Going back to an older restore point will help determine whether the problem is something that was added recently. Doing memtest should be the first thing you do--it's free and simple. Besides, microapp is a credible source of information who merits your attention. If the problem is RAM, you'll never find it by messing around with the software. If it is (and remember, RAM does get hot, and has a finite life span), problem solved without having to go any further.

Running memtest from the Mac's CLI solved a Mac problem that had seemed intractable, and for which no one could offer a solution. It took me six months of dealing with a computer that always had problems, albeit intermittent ones. I wish I'd done memtest first. As to your situation, it can't hurt, and could help.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
stevee9c6
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 464
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 20:29:06 (permalink)
 Just for those that have not been here awhile. My listed join date is incorrect. I have been a member since day one. I have used Cake since 1997.  I should point out that it is difficult to ascertain a posters intent from the written word.  I know this well as I am the founder one of the largest guitar internet forums.   So, I'm not surprised when folks take my comments as if I am attacking Cake. The Cake bakers and this forum have been a part of my life for a long time. I have nothing but the greatest respect for them.  I apologize if they feel my post was in any way a personal attack.

I posted my experiences after trying to fix it for over nine hours straight.  Frustration would be a bit of an understatement.
To date:
Directly following the written guidelines in Sonar Platinum help files, I did a complete and clean install of Platinum.  This specifically takes you through editing the registry. I followed it meticulously. I also backed all registry elements up prior to any "messing around".  I did have to reinstall some prior components to get my VS700 working.
I disabled all Slate VSTs.  I have every single one of them, except the most recent release. (Every project I have done for the last two years was done through his virtual channel and virtual mix buss. In fact, my standard template for a project dropped those in.)

When looking at my event history, I realized that a huge windows update had occured on my system on July 17.
.... I removed all windows updates today
I have went through the system utilizing common microsoft and builder tools.
There are no bad disk areas.  There is no issue with memory
I have specific software that is used by computer builders to verify system components. Every single area checks out.
Using RealTempGT as the monitor, my system is not overheating or being stressed. It has not been overclocked for over one year.

FYI, the Slate website officially lists Sonar as a nonsupported DAW.  I have sent them all of the information as well but since they point out that they don't support Sonar, I expect nothing.

Ok... what is working?
1. Any new project I open seems fine.
2 What's not
Any attempt to open a project created prior to today results in a immediate fatal crash.
VST scan does not complete.  It stops due to some type of runtime error.

My "other"DAW software has not crashed.... (at least not recently. I far prefer Sonar, so I don't use it much)

I don't know what is causing this. The bakers have quite a few memory dumps sent via the reporting system.
I don't care what is causing it. I need to get it working dependably.

I will contact support tomorrow.

best. steve

Steve 
www.stevestallingsmusic.com
Anderton
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 20:47:05 (permalink)
Have you done a plug-in reset and re-scan, not just a re-scan? That can solve a lot of plug-in related problems.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
peregrine
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 20:48:33 (permalink)
Steve - can you open a project in safe mode? Start the plugins individually and let us
know where the crash occurs
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 21:48:02 (permalink)
Anderton
Re the thread title, it's not a question of making anyone feel better. Either your priority is getting assistance, or your priority is venting. There are a bunch of people here who already feel good about Platinum, and your experience won't change theirs, nor do they need validation. They simply want to help you to experience what they experience.

Disciplined troubleshooting, as opposed to blindly reinstalling things or whatever, is often a process of elimination. Going back to an older restore point will help determine whether the problem is something that was added recently. Doing memtest should be the first thing you do--it's free and simple. Besides, microapp is a credible source of information who merits your attention. If the problem is RAM, you'll never find it by messing around with the software. If it is (and remember, RAM does get hot, and has a finite life span), problem solved without having to go any further.

Running memtest from the Mac's CLI solved a Mac problem that had seemed intractable, and for which no one could offer a solution. It took me six months of dealing with a computer that always had problems, albeit intermittent ones. I wish I'd done memtest first. As to your situation, it can't hurt, and could help.

If it's RAM I generally would expect PC to freeze or BSOD. Or at the very least report something in the windows event viewer. I wouldn't expect a single specific app to crash unless the manufacturer of the product really had it in for cakewalk.

A trip to the windows event viewer should be the first course of action. Paste the full error messages here. Yup vst reset is good start as well and see my previous post. Paste errors here.
I doubt this is caused by anything to do with window update unless it's not full up to date, not sure a rollback will help unless you have real evidence. Best to update everything first then remove out factors one by one. How would you know an update would not resolve the issues until you have installed it first? Rolling back without a smoking gun just throws in more guesswork. Best technique is update everything (check it each time). If that does not get anywhere then you start ruling things out by taking things away one by one. A brand new project with blank template is a good start.

Ta.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/26 22:03:24

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Anderton
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 23:14:32 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche

If it's RAM I generally would expect PC to freeze or BSOD. Or at the very least report something in the windows event viewer. I wouldn't expect a single specific app to crash unless the manufacturer of the product really had it in for cakewalk.

With the Mac incident I experienced, certain programs would crash and others wouldn't. The worst was updates from Apple, they would crash the most often. The computer itself kept working.

I doubt this is caused by anything to do with window update unless it's not full up to date, not sure a rollback will help unless you have real evidence.

Well, it might not be a Windows update, it might be a new plug-in or installing some other program. The OP didn't give much to go on so anything is a possibility. Again, I like simple, non-invasive procedures to rule out the obvious. If there's still problems after rolling back, okay, you didn't gain anything. But if everything worked prior to a certain date and didn't afterward, then you have to think about what might have changed, particularly if you've signed up for auto-updates of Adobe, graphics cards, etc.

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 23:29:46 (permalink)
I am wondering if you have some 32-bit plugins in the projects that are failing.  Many folks have tried to minimize or even eliminate the presence of 32-bit plugins in their projects.

So, maybe try a blank project, and do some audio recording with no plugins, then kind of build on it a little at a time, and see if you can get it to a point of failure, then make note of what plugin was being worked with at that time and try to reproduce. If it is repeatable, then something with that plugin may not be playing well with Sonar.

Also, you could open a failing project in Sonar's Safe Mode, by holding the Shift Key while opening the project.  It will give you the option to load or skip the load, of each plugin.  Try first skipping the load of all plugins, so that it opens with just the Sonar engine and any track data.  Don't worry about how it sounds or whatever, you are just trying to see if not loading the plugins changes the stability for the better.  If it DOES become more stable, then it points to one or more plugins being problematic.

You can then continue to go through the exercise of closing the project, and opening again in Safe Mode, and loading 1 plugin and seeing if that works, then next time try 2 plugins, next time 3 plugins, etc., until you get to where it fails/crashes.  Then remove that plugin from the project and continue the exercise.  Hopefully, you will end up with a project that fully loads, but will be short one or more plugins.  You will at least be able to load and work with the project at that point, and you can either research the issues with whichever plugins you had to drop, or you can find other plugins to provide similar functionality to the ones you had to get rid of.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, make a full copy backup of the project folder prior to messing around with the project, so that no matter what, you preserve the way things were prior to the project going through the changes of testing.

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/26 23:48:42 (permalink)
Anderton
Have you done a plug-in reset and re-scan, not just a re-scan? That can solve a lot of plug-in related problems.

THIS yes THIS I was at wits end till I followed Craigs suggestion, and found some VSTs that worked fine in X3 but until I reset then in Platinum, cause all kinds of performance issues..and removed them until I can troubleshot

of Course YMMV and cant hurt to try it

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

stevee9c6
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 00:06:23 (permalink)
+System
  -Provider   [ Name]Application Error
  -EventID1000   [ Qualifiers]0
   Level2   Task100   Keywords0x80000000000000  -TimeCreated   [ SystemTime]2015-07-27T03:44:28.000000000Z
   EventRecordID35219   ChannelApplication   ComputerCustomRack   Security
-EventData   VstScan.exe   5.0.9.0   559be8c4   Console 1 SSL SL 4000 E-Series Compressor.dll   2.2.32.0   558a7061   40000015   000000000034ad50   1070   01d0c81e0b75d1fa   C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\VstScan.exe   c:\program files\softube\plug-ins vst aax 64-bit\Resources\Console 1 SSL SL 4000 E-Series Compressor.dll   +System  -Provider   [ Name]SideBySide
  -EventID35   [ Qualifiers]49409
   Level2   Task0   Keywords0x80000000000000  -TimeCreated   [ SystemTime]2015-07-27T00:11:07.000000000Z
   EventRecordID35212   ChannelApplication   ComputerCustomRack   Security
-EventData   WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.0"   WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.0"                                   C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\wlc.exe   C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release\WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release.MANIFEST   8                            
+System  -Provider   [ Name]Microsoft-Windows-WMI   [ Guid]{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}   [ EventSourceName]WinMgmt
  -EventID10   [ Qualifiers]49152
   Version0   Level2   Task0   Opcode0   Keywords0x80000000000000  -TimeCreated   [ SystemTime]2015-07-26T23:02:55.000000000Z
   EventRecordID35170   Correlation  -Execution   [ ProcessID]0   [ ThreadID]0
   ChannelApplication   ComputerCustomRack   Security
-EventData   //./root/CIMV2   SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99   0x80041003
+System  -Provider   [ Name]Microsoft-Windows-WMI   [ Guid]{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}   [ EventSourceName]WinMgmt
  -EventID10   [ Qualifiers]49152
   Version0   Level2   Task0   Opcode0   Keywords0x80000000000000  -TimeCreated   [ SystemTime]2015-07-26T23:02:55.000000000Z
   EventRecordID35170   Correlation  -Execution   [ ProcessID]0   [ ThreadID]0
   ChannelApplication   ComputerCustomRack   Security
-EventData   //./root/CIMV2   SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99   0x80041003
+System  -Provider   [ Name]SideBySide
  -EventID35   [ Qualifiers]49409
   Level2   Task0   Keywords0x80000000000000  -TimeCreated   [ SystemTime]2015-07-26T22:35:35.000000000Z
   EventRecordID35120   ChannelApplication   ComputerCustomRack   Security
-EventData   WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.0"   WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.0"                                   C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\wlc.exe   C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release\WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release.MANIFEST   8                            
The event log c790edff-3411-11e5-85b7-902b345a9659

Steve 
stevee9c6
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 00:08:06 (permalink)
It would appear that softubes SSL VST is a bit of an issue. I don't own it so I don't know why its her.  Will investigate.
There are pages and pages of this... almost all of it is Softube

Steve 
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 02:12:13 (permalink)
Looks like Softube WAVES has a problem with its 32bit (!) Qt lib, which is the cross-platform GUI kit it was coded in ...

If you don't own it, do you still have an expired copy of it installed on that machine?

Or is it the softube distortion Sonar PC channel module that is actually crashing and just listing a wrong source in the event viewer???

Any more in the event log or all the same??? 
post edited by FreeFlyBertl - 2015/07/27 09:42:56

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Pragi
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 06:44:31 (permalink)
Hi Steve, had nearly the same issues as you since a harddrive crash.
To keep it short , I deleted all J- bridge  dll-s(.........) and since then, the slate plugs and some other plugs
( remember Sample Tank 2 and Waves Woli) are running smoth like a shi(.. ).......nesun

Hope this helps
Pragi
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 08:13:47 (permalink)
stevee9c6
It would appear that softubes SSL VST is a bit of an issue. I don't own it so I don't know why its her.  Will investigate.

That's Waves SSL, not Softube. Are you sure that your Waves licenses are valid? Run WLC and see if they are...

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 08:31:54 (permalink)
stevee9c6

Steve, as Dan says above - look at the bottom of that dump - it's WAVES SSL , not softube

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 08:42:53 (permalink)
It's both.
Finally the event viewer.. we get to see what it is.

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\VstScan.exe c:\program files\softube\plug-ins vst aax 64-bit\Resources\Console 1 SSL SL 4000 E-Series Compressor.dll

C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release\WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release.MANIFEST..

First thing to do is stop using 32 bit Waves plugins and start using 64 bit (update to latest version). Try to go completely 64 bit. There's also something weird going on with the Console 1 SSL SL 4000 E-Series Compressor. Update the plugin, try running Sonar as administrator. Otherwise you are going to need to be contacting their support.

Assumed you already tried this...
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013315/SONAR-X3-Full-VST-Rescan-Recommended-for-Upgraders

post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/27 08:54:39

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 08:47:38 (permalink)
If it is a Waves plug issue, could it be that vst2 and vst3 Waves plugs are being used in the project?

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

stevee9c6
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 09:20:07 (permalink)
  c:\program files\softube\plug-ins vst aax 64-bit\Resources\Console 1 SSL SL 4000 E-Series Compressor.dll  

The events I posted are separate. One is a waves issue. The other is Softubes Console Plug. I don't have this and have never installed it. The only waves program I own is Vocal Rider..    The SSL plug ins I own are run by my UAD2 quad card.

It looks to my eyes like the waves issue is related to 32 bit problems.  I will see if there is a 64 bit update.  I don't have the Softube console and have never downloaded  it. 

Unfortunately, reality and my day job intervenes. I am an hour away from my recording computer and doubt I will even get to turn it on today.

Steve 
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 10:23:31 (permalink)
In a situation like this, I always like to rule out the hardware first.
Once that's done, you're down to a config related issue.

Steve, if you have a backup image file prior to the issue happening, you could load that and see if it resolves the issue.

Bridged 32Bit plugins are high on the suspect list.
As was mentioned, I'd try loading one of the problematic projects in "Safe Mode".
That'll let you know which plugin is causing the problem.

Do you have the Lynx Hilo connected via USB2 or USB3?
Your motherboard has an X79 chipset.  USB3 had not yet been integrated in the chipset.
Many USB2 audio and MIDI interfaces have compatibility issues when running from 3rd-party USB controllers.
IOW, Connect the Hilo to a USB2 (Intel controller) port.  There's no advantage to connecting it to USB3.

If the issue still can't be sussed out...
I'd strip the machine down to minimal hardware and reload the OS (from the original backup image file).
Apply all Windows updates and update the drivers for the motherboard components and video card.
At this point, I'd take the time to create an up-to-date (clean) backup image file using True Image (or similar).
This way you can always (quickly) get back to a completely clean (up-to-date) OS install.
Add one hardware device at a time (audio interface first) making sure all is well before adding the next.
Once all hardware is added, then I'd take the same approach with software and then plugins.
  1. Hardware
  2. DAW host software
  3. Plugins
At this point, I'd avoid installing any 32Bit plugins.  
If the installer doesn't give the option to avoid 32Bit dlls, then manually delete them after they're installed.  
Pay careful attention when installing the plugins.  There's absolutely no standard for install location (with the exception of VST3).  If you just accept the default location with each installer, you'll have plugin dlls in numerous locations.

I'm available if you need assistance.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 10:48:50 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
 I'm available if you need assistance.

OT: Just wondering, do you offer a paid recommendation service? Like I want to make it so my system runs at max efficiency for Sonar and maybe a couple other specific DAWs with the equipment I already have (or make some calculated, cost effective investments like an extra HDD or other simple stuff). I built this thing on my own a few years ago and I think I did alright but it was my first build and I am no tech (I've cobbled together all my info willy nilly from the intertubes).

I'm kind of thinking of something like I send the basic specs, some info of what all I'm trying to accomplish/how I work. Then you ask me for whatever details you need to dig into the specifics (and how I find that info if it's digging in strange scary places I usually avoid like the registry). I provide that and then you put together a "to do" list.

Or however it is you do this stuff (if at all). Just curious because I want to maybe do a complete overhaul and set it all up properly for audio. I tried to buy the best stuff that was out at the time (within reason) so I think it's all still pretty decent for another few years.

Cost?

I'm not having any major problems like the OP here but I'm pretty sure this thing isn't humming along as best it could and I'm very interested in learning the most I can about this system because I'm going to be stuck with it for a long time.

/sorry for threadjack
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 11:20:46 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
It's both.
Finally the event viewer.. we get to see what it is.

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\VstScan.exe c:\program files\softube\plug-ins vst aax 64-bit\Resources\Console 1 SSL SL 4000 E-Series Compressor.dll

C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release\WavesQtLibs_4.8.2_Win32_Release.MANIFEST..

First thing to do is stop using 32 bit Waves plugins and start using 64 bit (update to latest version). Try to go completely 64 bit. There's also something weird going on with the Console 1 SSL SL 4000 E-Series Compressor. Update the plugin, try running Sonar as administrator. Otherwise you are going to need to be contacting their support.

Assumed you already tried this...
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013315/SONAR-X3-Full-VST-Rescan-Recommended-for-Upgraders

I forgot to say again... Run windows update everywhere as well. It's pretty clear these plugins are at fault I wouldn't look anywhere else unless there are more errors in the event viewer we haven't seen. At least we can stop guessing now. This may end up getting resolved or at least support can now be contacted as there is now something to point to.

It does not look like hardware.

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 11:57:12 (permalink)
Beepster

OT: Just wondering, do you offer a paid recommendation service? Like I want to make it so my system runs at max efficiency for Sonar and maybe a couple other specific DAWs with the equipment I already have (or make some calculated, cost effective investments like an extra HDD or other simple stuff). I built this thing on my own a few years ago and I think I did alright but it was my first build and I am no tech (I've cobbled together all my info willy nilly from the intertubes).

Hi Beepster,
I consult with many clients.
You can shoot me a PM or Email... so we're not spamming the forums.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 12:09:50 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

Hi Beepster,
I consult with many clients.
You can shoot me a PM or Email... so we're not spamming the forums.

Cool, man. I will do that when I'm a little closer to doing it all. Thanks.

Again, to the OP... sorry for the threadjack. Good luck with fixing your issue. Does definitely sounds like your system is going wonky somehow. Platinum is working pretty darned good here FWIW.
stevee9c6
Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. ;) 2015/07/27 14:15:34 (permalink)
For informational purposes, Jim Roseberry built this computer. I took delivery Jan 2013. This is my second build from Jim. He is a straightforward person who has been a great asset in the past.

Regarding Slate VST plugs. I received a pleasant note from Paul Hessing  at Slate first thing this morning. He sent me specific instructions to remove the Slate VST's  and a link to a new win installer build for slate that may help any issues there.

Steve 
Sir Les
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 14:47:54 (permalink)
If overclocking..?.Speed step and VT in bios on or off?...((advise given , to stop overclocking is best first to do))

To do Digital Audio/video...from my perspective, one should never overclock the cpu, or memory, or devices,/clocks..and tweaking the Bios is a must do... so no speed step or VT is on or used while doing.....Must should be ""disabled""...And any redundant devices turned off ..>In BOIS< So no holders in windows are made, and or reserved for IrQ's by Windows....which helps free up the raster and drive loading at boot...and perhaps services for.

So...If this is a possible reality with the OP....Setup is a must do, to get stability on most systems, with all parties playing along those ideas/clock speeds/ and such with/ cpu time outs hanging, and some chance of bad or weak parts that might not take to overclocking well...(audio cards)...less problems arise.

Just saying , like some others have said...Just to make sure...it is done..the setup....right, before the trouble shooting starts...results in less hair loss!.

Cheers!

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 15:18:49 (permalink)
Sir Les
If overclocking..?.Speed step and VT in bios on or off?...((advise given , to stop overclocking is best first to do))

To do Digital Audio/video...from my perspective, one should never overclock the cpu, or memory, or devices,/clocks..and tweaking the Bios is a must do... so no speed step or VT is on or used while doing.....Must should be ""disabled""...And any redundant devices turned off ..>In BOIS< So no holders in windows are made, and or reserved for IrQ's by Windows....which helps free up the raster and drive loading at boot...and perhaps services for.

So...If this is a possible reality with the OP....Setup is a must do, to get stability on most systems, with all parties playing along those ideas/clock speeds/ and such with/ cpu time outs hanging, and some chance of bad or weak parts that might not take to overclocking well...(audio cards)...less problems arise.

Just saying , like some others have said...Just to make sure...it is done..the setup....right, before the trouble shooting starts...results in less hair loss!.

Cheers!

Sorry but how the frig does this relate to the windows event viewer messages :)
And it looks like he bought the PC from a hardware tweaker anyway (who looks like may know what he's doing)...

Cheers..

Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 15:23:16 (permalink)
Hope you get it working soon. Please come back and tell us the result.
Best of luck.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

stevee9c6
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 15:33:45 (permalink)
Sir Les

Just saying , like some others have said...Just to make sure...it is done..the setup....right, before the trouble shooting starts...results in less hair loss!

What!  Now you tell me.   If you remove my hat in the picture of me.... totally bald. :)

Steve 
Sir Les
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 15:48:16 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Sir Les

Cheers!

Sorry but how the frig does this relate to the windows event viewer messages :)
And it looks like he bought the PC from a hardware tweaker anyway (who looks like may know what he's doing)...

Cheers..

Event viewer is saying something is wrong with X Y Z...Does not say what is causing it to crash completely?...And if what is linked to the pc for XYZ to work correctly..(when bought, was working with older or less updated WINDOWS)(But has been since receiving updates))..speed step or vt causing issues with some of those vowels perhaps?...

Is it going to say in event viewer that speed step or vt or overclocking, or bad memory conflicts due to a cycle hiccup is causing it to crash, or some irq sharing while all the above have been not set or reset, or updating changed, once setup by the manufacturer as stable once burnt in, and stablized by them.////Once...Updating windows, and  updating Drivers, there after ""will work with those setting set to enabled in the Bios, and or overclocked by the manufacturer, will continue with the new owner and new updates and drivers as working for long periods of time, after being sold, and updated continually with those specs and setup if so bought with them enabled, will cause the cpu and or other parts to not work as designed in some cases....

.I think not, setup it up right, Plane and simple, then install...for the reasons needed the system for....Then things work better, with less Event views to view.....enough said?...or does this person get all kinds of Issues with Plugins/software issues, and crashes, one saying x, one saying y...another say z...as one after another pop up, and are yanked out.... and not solve em, only remove, and get the latest?..first by doing some setup to help it work smoothly from the get go might make it all work without events period.....Perhaps?....

Just saying...before hand.

And if this system was overclocked for x amount of time, or speed step was on, with vt, and it was not causing issues when bought, yet is now......Surely things with the cpu working if it ever overheated, and caused a flaw with Something in the cpu, or other devices...could cause all kinds of events to be written and logged!

That is why I posted....
Be well...stay cool!
post edited by Sir Les - 2015/07/27 15:56:49

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1