Helpful Reply[Solved] SONAR 2016.03 Install Fail

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
juttlaing
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: SONAR 2016.03 Install Fail 2016/10/10 19:42:00 (permalink)
Most of the above issues are caused on Windows 7 due to the Visual Studio C++ Redistributable.

I like many others when running Cakewalk Command Center didn't right-click it and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.  The cakewalk installation tries to install the Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable - and fails - because it didn't have the administrator privileges in windows7 to complete the installation.  I'm convinced this causes most of the issues.  This actually caused the windows update problems on my PC as the Cakewalk attempt to install the VC failed and whacked the PC.

In my case - I first downloaded the windows updater troubleshooting utility (listening to this post) and ran it - it did fix a few issues but could not fix the whacked install of the VC redist.  So I went into control panel / programs and features and completely uninstall any of the Windows Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable (both x64 and x86) versions - and then downloaded the latest MicroSoft versions.  This - was a waste of time.  As the latest versions from microsoft are of a lesser version than the one Cakewalk update 1 tries to install.

Again uninstall the VC redist from MicroSoft.  I now had a clean PC with no VC 2015 redist (like I did prior to running Cakewalk Commander).  Except this time I just ran CakeWalk Commander using RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and the VC 2015 redist x64 with Cakewalk installed fine - patch install successful.

So as much as I appreciate the above posts - FIRST before you do anything try running cakewalk commander via RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.  Saves alot of time.

If you get the error in this post at beginning - means you most likely didn't run cakewalk commander via RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and you'll have to try what everyone else has here.

A simple prompt during the cakewalk update1 patch installation stating to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR  or  checking to see if installing on windows 7 and if so - then prompt user to quit and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR would save alot of people the hassles here.  Most people today are still not running higher than windows 7 as everytime we try to update something - Cakewalk blows up!!!  The life of PCs....  ;-)
dcmike
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: SONAR 2016.03 Install Fail 2016/11/23 12:46:31 (permalink)
Cakewalk's attitude about relying on Win 10 for a good install is a smug one. I showed data that Win 7 is the most popular OS now by far. They replied that 2/3 of Cakewalk users have Win 10 - maybe because they had no other choice.

I actually had Sonar running in Win 7. However, hard drive failure required a needed reinstall - and now it does not. All tech help tips have redundantly referred to updating Win 7 - which I did, or getting Win 10, which I won't do.

"Error 3 means "path not found". It's because the DLL or OCX is missing, or a dependency is missing. Most likely, the setup program was unable to write one of the files. This can be caused by having a file in use, or insufficient Windows permissions."

When Cakewalk install has finished loading files and gets to registering files, it is looking for c:\Program Files(x86\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\CW120Auto.dll which isn't there. There is, however in my case, a cw90auto.dll.

Getting a copy of CW120Auto.dll and dropping it in place, could theoretically fix the install

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: SONAR 2016.03 Install Fail 2016/11/23 13:07:39 (permalink)
dcmike
I showed data that Win 7 is the most popular OS now by far. They replied that 2/3 of Cakewalk users have Win 10

Cakewalk did not reply that way I did. But is is not exactly what I posted. I posted that Win10 64bit was used 3 to1 more often then Win7 64bit in response to
dcmike
Cakewalk techs seem to imply the latest version of Sonar is optimized for Windows 10 users - when, in fact, most people DON'T use Win 10.

Information published in the 2016.09 ezine based on anaylitics data Cakewalk collected. Do not confuse my post for those of a Cakewalk employee. I am a forum and Cakewalk product user NOT a Cakewalk employee.

Regardless, this thread illustrates how Win7 users with the appropriate updates to the OS can install SONAR.
dcmike
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: SONAR 2016.03 Install Fail 2016/11/23 13:58:54 (permalink)
I can see the problem (above). Cakewalk install is searching for, and depending on, a file that is not there for many users. I did "the appropriate updates to the OS" and still cannot get a successful install now.

What us Win 7 users need is as real, honest to gosh, Cakewalk tech geek to address this. And I use "tech geek" with all due respect. No one should have to spend so much time getting a software program to work. I have never, in 22 years, had this much trouble with any program.

Maybe this is one reason for the Cakewalk support team to go running for their lives. Can anyone give me an example of the wondrous difference they heard, or had, using Sonar in Win 10 - rather than Win 7?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1