Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings

Author
Annabelle
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 143
2018/11/08 14:01:06 (permalink)

Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings

I have these tapes of my vacation in the summer of 2001, which I made on a microcassette recorder, and I have a couple questions.
1. What is the best way to make them stereo recordings? Are there microcassette recorders that output stereo? Maybe there's a plugin made for "Upmixing"?
2. What are the best plugins to clean up the sound (eliminate things like tape hiss, wow and flutter), upgrade the quality, and preserve the recordings as digital files?

I Dream of Australia, France, and Canada, three wonderful nations that represent who I really am.

12 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/08 17:05:06 (permalink)
    I suggest to ask in specialized mailing lists and/or WhatsApp groups. iZotope Neutron and Ozone are accessible, I have no information bout RX7, which is the restoration package from the same company. But they have 10 days trial, so you can just test yourself.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/08 18:13:23 (permalink)
    There'a always the freebie, Audacity. May be worth  a try.

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/08 20:05:57 (permalink)
    Wave Editors are the correct tools for ripping old tapes and LP's and removing noise. I have Sound Forge,  came with a turntable years ago,  and it does this almost automatically. Amazing results. I think this is now owned by Magix.
    There's another thread here today with information about Wave editor's.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Magix-Sound-Forge-in-Sonar-tool-menu-m3795086.aspx

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Annabelle
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/10 05:31:55 (permalink)
    I tried Audacity, but it made the quality worse. It made my voice recording sound like it was under water. I wonder, is there a wave editor plugin that would work with Sonar?

I Dream of Australia, France, and Canada, three wonderful nations that represent who I really am.
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/10 10:20:52 (permalink)
    Annabelle
    I tried Audacity, but it made the quality worse. It made my voice recording sound like it was under water. I wonder, is there a wave editor plugin that would work with Sonar?

This usually happens when noise reduction systems try to remove wide band noise that is quite loud in the mix, and the noise reduction algorithm removes too much.

The fault isn't audacity, it's a combination of your source material and audacity's noise reduction algorithm.

If it's just your voice on its own (i.e. a noisy mic / mic pre), you could try noise-gating the silent parts, then use either a graphic EQ or a combination of parametric EQ's to try to remove the worse offenders.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    Annabelle
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/10 11:09:00 (permalink)
    msmcleod
    Annabelle

This usually happens when noise reduction systems try to remove wide band noise that is quite loud in the mix, and the noise reduction algorithm removes too much.

The fault isn't audacity, it's a combination of your source material and audacity's noise reduction algorithm.

If it's just your voice on its own (i.e. a noisy mic / mic pre), you could try noise-gating the silent parts, then use either a graphic EQ or a combination of parametric EQ's to try to remove the worse offenders.

It's actually a combination of voices, airplane and car background noise, and airport background noise. However, the offender is the hiss and hum of the tape recorder, as well as "wow and flutter". Since I'm blind, spectral editors would be hard for me to use, as they're graphical, instead of buttons, dials, and sliders with accessible text.

msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/10 12:42:56 (permalink)
    Annabelle
    msmcleod
    Annabelle

It's actually a combination of voices, airplane and car background noise, and airport background noise. However, the offender is the hiss and hum of the tape recorder, as well as "wow and flutter". Since I'm blind, spectral editors would be hard for me to use, as they're graphical, instead of buttons, dials, and sliders with accessible text.

I think cleaning up this scenario would be a challenge for any program.

What you could try though, is first using an EQ with a narrow band to remove the hum. It'll probably be 50Hz or 60Hz depending on where it was recorded.

Once you've done that, a low pass filter might help to remove the hiss. You could try using an enhancer to try to add back in some "fake" high end.

I'm unaware of anything that would remove the wow and flutter though, unless you could somehow automate an EQ to try to counteract the effect. If you've got a hardware slider controller, this may help since graphical interfaces are no good for you. You could then practice moving the slider in time with the track before recording the automation. I doubt if it would remove the wow and flutter completely though.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/10 17:05:09 (permalink)
    Audacity would have been my last choice,, as said try Sound Forge. 

The plug in that does this best is isotope RX but your talking $$$$ for the pro versions. RX7 elements is affordable @ $129 and there are probably sales.  
    https://www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit/rx.html

I tried the demo once and it was super complicated to figure out. 

I have most of the popular Wave editors on hand including Audacity.  The only good quick and dirty thing I've had success with was Sound Forge. Hiss and pops and crackles are much easier to fix as there's been lots of work put into removing those.  But removing traffic/ background noise is a job that a very highly trained engineer would be required to tackle.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Annabelle
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/12 14:09:23 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Audacity would have been my last choice,, as said try Sound Forge. 

The plug in that does this best is isotope RX but your talking $$$$ for the pro versions. RX7 elements is affordable @ $129 and there are probably sales.  
    https://www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit/rx.html

I tried the demo once and it was super complicated to figure out. 

I have most of the popular Wave editors on hand including Audacity.  The only good quick and dirty thing I've had success with was Sound Forge. Hiss and pops and crackles are much easier to fix as there's been lots of work put into removing those.  But removing traffic/ background noise is a job that a very highly trained engineer would be required to tackle.  

I don't mind so much the traffic background noise. It's the tape hiss and motor hum of the recorder that I'm trying to get rid of. And I'm trying to turn the recording from mono "dictation-quality" (the quality of most microcassette recorders I've worked with) to stereo studio-quality. Is there a way to achieve that goal?

michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/12 21:00:24 (permalink)
    Magix has audio-cleaning software. I have an old vesion called Audio Cleaning Lab. It has various cleaning filters that remove tape hiss and other noises at various frequencies. Check it out:

https://www.magix.com/us/...o-cleaning-lab/detail/

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/12 22:31:06 (permalink)
    A program that will allow you to "capture noise print" (a section with no vocals or transients) and then apply that print for noise removal will yield the best results. Adobe Audition and iZotope RX are the best two programs for this (neither are free, but both have fully functional trials if you have not yet used them). IZotope also said their software is tailored for the visually impaired when I asked a while back, and the RX7 trial should be available, since that is new.

As a fallback, if you get hung up with this and are willing to share those files, shoot me a PM. You can upload them as private to sites like Drop Box, One Drive, or Google Drive and share them explicitly to select people. Quite a few folks here have Audition and/or RX as well.
    post edited by mettelus - 2018/11/13 05:35:50

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Plugins for Remastering Old Recordings 2018/11/13 01:37:31 (permalink)
    Izotope's RX7 demo policy, for the first 10 days after installation, an unauthorized plug-in can run in Trial mode, which offers full functionality with no restrictions. After 10 days, the plug-in will continue to run in Demo mode. In Demo mode, the plug-in's output will mute briefly every 40 seconds.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1