Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
2008/09/22 15:06:08 (permalink)

Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL)

will be shipping 10/10/08 just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading!

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1492807

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.

67 Replies Related Threads

Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/22 16:05:16 (permalink)
    Well, I am definitely going to get SHS 7XL this time. Looks like a great deal. I tried to pre-order, but for some reason I'm not showing up as a registered user. Of course, that would be too easy for me right??? LOL...I just have to keep laughing about this stuff. So, hopefully I will get this rectified before the shipment date. The program is better, but with all the "free" add on's, it's hard to turn down, especially since I on the hunt for new sounds.

Thanks for posting that Beagle.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/22 21:07:07 (permalink)
    Annette, with the MC crashes you've been experiencing lately, it might not be a good idea to install an even bigger program. Of course, the crashes might be related to the plug-ins you're using, and not MC.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Nutty
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/22 21:52:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's hard to say Greg. My computer is less than a year old. I have 3 Gb of RAM, so I'd hate to blame it on the system. Firebox is a good interface too. So, I don't know what it is...other than frustrating that is. Vista maybe????

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/22 21:57:20 (permalink)
    Vista maybe????

You and Herb both.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/22 22:23:51 (permalink)
    Maybe.
    Each new incarnation of Windows has had it's teething problems, and Vista is no exception.
    For the most part, each has been better after the dust settled (except ME, which MS wishes never happened, but it did)
    XP has had an extremely long run, nearly 10 years. Win '98 was a huge improvement over Win'95, which smoked Win 3.
    I think Vista will eventually come of age, but it's not quite there yet.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/22 22:33:39 (permalink)
    I'm not planning on putting it (vista) on my new computer, at least not right away. I might later try a dual boot, but I plan to keep xp until I'm satisfied that vista is the way to move.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/22 23:54:23 (permalink)
    I'm not trying to sway anyone, but SHS6XL is working just fine on Vista for me. I don't do a lot of audio stuff, but it works fine with midi and plug-ins and stuff.

So far...
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/23 15:01:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mamabear

I'm not trying to sway anyone, but SHS6XL is working just fine on Vista for me.

Same here guys, there was a bit of setting up and tweaking to do but Vista is just smoking with my Cakewalk products - I've even got GT2 [from 2000] happily doing its stuff in compatibility mode.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Nutty
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/23 15:10:26 (permalink)
    I think I'm going to take my chances. I made it through a lot of struggles with MC (mostly my fault and not the program), so I hope the transition will be easy to SHS 7XL. Like I said the programs that come with it are worth the upgrade. I just wish they didn't charge $35 or shipping costs. They could send it through the mail for $5.00. Oh well....

Nutty /Annette
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/23 15:18:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nutty

I think I'm going to take my chances. I made it through a lot of struggles with MC (mostly my fault and not the program), so I hope the transition will be easy to SHS 7XL. Like I said the programs that come with it are worth the upgrade. I just wish they didn't charge $35 or shipping costs. They could send it through the mail for $5.00. Oh well....

Go for it Annette!

Your PC specs are fine for running Home Studio - I think some of the problems you've been having are not specifically related to your PC.

I notice you say the Proteus XV was crashing MC - for what it's worth, when I close a Home Studio project that has Proteus in it, the program doesn't actually crash but for some strange reason I'm always informed that SONAR HS6XL has stopped working - I'm thinking 'I know, I just closed it!!' but as this hasn't happened with any project that doesn't have Proteus in it, I'm pretty confident that it's nothing to do with my Home Studio or Vista.

Steve

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/23 15:36:16 (permalink)

Sorry guys, post was about upgrading but I got some facts quite wrong!!
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/09/23 15:48:44

Nutty
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/23 16:19:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
    SONAR HS6XL has stopped working - I'm thinking 'I know, I just closed it!!' but as this hasn't happened with any project that doesn't have Proteus in it, I'm pretty confident that it's nothing to do with my Home Studio or Vista.
    Steve

That's the same message I get. Sometimes I have to reboot my computer though or I just do to make sure I start out fresh. Same thing happens sometimes with Jamstix, although it is much better than it used to be.

Glad it's not just me. Sometimes (well almost always) I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/23 16:59:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nutty

Glad it's not just me. Sometimes (well almost always) I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

Don't think like that Annette - nobody grasps this stuff just like that - these days we are lucky enough to be using some very sophisticated software capable of creating pro results from the comfort of our own homes.

But this isn't plug and play - to get the most out of the software, it's definitely an advantage to learn and understand the program.

This is why these forums are such a great resource - I've done the HS tutorials, watched the YouTube videos and read the manual three times but [ironically] I've learnt more about Home Studio from the Guitar Tracks forum and the Music Creator forum (I just love this place!).

I cite the Proteus XV softsynth as a prime example - I'd fumbled my way through the manual's insructions about using softsynths and I'd manged to get a project up and running with four instances of it in use. It was working OK but I didn't understand why, but more to the point, I had no idea that there was a much better way to do it!

Bob did a quick explanation for me and Alan in the GT forum with screenshots and said it would make sense once I'd done it a few times..... oh yeah, I thought!!

However, he was [of course] right and now I'm cool about using just one instance of Proteus and using the 16 available tracks to save me loads of CPU resources.

Now I've managed [in your Proteus thread] to actually show Bob a neat way of adding the various presets - that is why these forums will always be so valuable - the communal knowledge base is always going to bigger than any one person's individual knowledge [except maybe for Reece!].

For me, the MC forum and the GT forum seem similar in that it's regulars always seem to be prepared to go out of their way to help each other. I've spent a lot of time in all the other forums on this site and maybe with the exception of the Songs forum, which is a great place to hang out, none of them come close to the friendly and helpful atmosphere found in MC or GT.

Anyway, I digress - don't put yourself down Annette, everybody had to start somewhere, your obvious willingness to learn will stand you in good stead, one day in the very near future you'll be thinking how easy it all is, and I hope to be there thinking the same thing!!

Steve

Nutty
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/23 17:47:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve,

Sorry, I know I'm bad at knocking myself down. It's inherited from my Blessed Mother (seriously). It just seems that I'm at the beginners of beginners if you know what I mean. Many seem to have that natural knack or instinct to run with some of the information. I have to ask 1,000 questions first! I'm sure it's a confidence thing, but I must say, I'm learning a heck of a lot. It is easier now that I'm getting into actually recording and getting ready to mix and actually using the information I have been gathering. Before I would forget what I had read/learned because it was too far inbetween using the information. I thinik I may be close to figuring out inputs and outputs....that's a huge step for me...especially with MIDI. The other thing is I'm really trying to learn and understand the who, what, why, when and where...not "what button do I push now...that's a big step for me too. I may still write down the step by step but hopefully I'll understand why. It seems like it has been a long time, but I was looking at old posts on this forum and the guitar forum I frequent and I just wrote my first song in years in January and bought MC in April 2008. so maybe I'm not doing so bad.

Hopefully I'll have some more good music coming your way soon. I have lots on the go that's for sure.

I can't agree with you more about the friendliness of this board. That is the only reason I'm still using MC 4. I would have dropped it months ago if it wasn't for the people and support on the MC board. I check the Song forum out once in a while, but that's it. Even is I get SHS 7 XL, I'm sure I'll be hanging out here. The programs are similar enough I think that I can ask most questions here.

Thanks again for your support here. And thanks to the rest of the forum for your continuing patience and helpfulness. I can't say that enough times.

Nutty /Annette
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/23 22:58:54 (permalink)
    ...this isn't plug and play...

That one statement should be written on the front cover of the box in the store, so you can see it before it is opened, and then a few places inside the package.

I have been involved with computers since the days of fortran and punch cards, twenty plus years with autocadd, I remember when there was no such thing as a mouse, so working with a program that is "pick a picture and point the arrow at the target" is second nature. Twenty years ago, they would come through the office, load the latest upgrade to your cadd program, and walk away...you're on your own. That is why some of this comes easier for me, and I count my blessings in that realm.

Annette:
    "I just wrote my first song in years in January and bought MC in April 2008"
    So in less than nine months you are posting songs that get reviews that extol your unique vocal style, and the expresive feel of the lyric/music combination. You should be proud of your accomplishment, I know some of us here are. It is part of the experience, watching some one put it all together right before our eyes. Look forward, you have a promising future.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    cato54321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 07:21:49 (permalink)
    I thought about upgrading to Windows Vista until i read all the posts of people having problems with it.I currently use XP,and love the fact that i havent had any crashes or any problems.Theres an old saying "if it isnt broke dont fix it",we all go in thinking that upgrading always seems the way to go ,but in fact causes more unintented headaches.Absolutely correct in saying this is not a plug an play program,and as Al said should be listed on the box,but Cakewalk wouldnt sell as many units.Beagle thanks for the info on the release on Sonar HS 7 will take a look at it.Have a great day everyone!!

SHS6,.. HP Compaq Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit 8gb ram ,M-Audio2496, Alesis Multimix 16 firewire,Sennheiser and Shure mic's,Mapex Mars Pro series,Ludwig drums,Jackson, Ibanez,Fender,Yamaha and Gibson guitars,Fender London 150,Peavey Mark 4&Line 6-SpiderII, and my fav Hayden Peacemaker 40 tube amp.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=684901
    Nutty
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 09:59:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gamblerschoice
    Annette:
    "I just wrote my first song in years in January and bought MC in April 2008"
    So in less than nine months you are posting songs that get reviews that extol your unique vocal style, and the expresive feel of the lyric/music combination. You should be proud of your accomplishment, I know some of us here are. It is part of the experience, watching some one put it all together right before our eyes. Look forward, you have a promising future.
    Later
    Albert

Thanks Albert,

I used to always want/need instant gratification. One thing I am learninging is patience and how it pays off with getting a better product. I am trying to put this all into perspecitive; that's why I noted how long I've actually been working on this (recording. mixing etc.) This time around I am taking the time to really learn the product and understand the whole process. I am hoping thatit will pay off.

It is the people on the forum, like yourself, that have gone way out your way to help me through this. I am hoping that when I finally get some songs done that you will see that your contributions have paid off. Or, you can always send me a bill in the mail.

Again, I thank everyone for your support.

Nutty /Annette
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 10:46:08 (permalink)
    ...."send me a bill in the mail"...

Ya' know, I was thinking of setting up a Paypal account....

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Nutty
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 12:01:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gamblerschoice
    Ya' know, I was thinking of setting up a Paypal account....
    Later
    Albert

Bummers! my husband won't let me near a Paypal account.(I don['t know why )..so, I just gotta find my address now...

Nutty /Annette
    kine321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 438
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 18:36:12 (permalink)
    I've decided to get SHS7, rather than Sonar Studio 8 or SHS7XL even though; I can get Sonar Studio8 for $100.

SHS7/XL, has a very updated look that seems to mimic a hardware groove box type of setup. Visually, it seems more efficient to work
    with.

Certain functions now have knobs rather than color coded sliders. The mixer is impressive and seems to be a lot easier to work with. And the LED hardware style vu meters, look very nice.

Cakewalk, tends to recycle the same Ole plugins time after time.
    I can't tell you how many CW products I have that constantly includes The groove synth and the Dropzone sampler.

The XL version... comes with Studio Instruments which I already have and never use. I don't step sequence; so I have no need for it although it seems useful. The StudioDevil VGA+ looks really cool... but, if someone doesn't play guitar or use fx in creative ways; it may not get much usage. The SHS7 version is good enough for me. I suspect that Sonar 9, may have the new updated look of SHS7.
    Could SHS7 actually be a pre-release version of 9-??? Hmmm... perhaps SHS7, is a form of undercover beta testing? Forgive my [cough..] creative thought process!

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 18:43:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kine321

Could SHS7 actually be a pre-release version of 9-??? Hmmm... perhaps SHS7, is a form of undercover beta testing? Forgive my [cough..] creative thought process!

This seems to be causing quite a commotion over in the SONAR forum - they are certainly not at all happy about this state of affairs!

Good enough reason on its own for me to pre-order my HS7XL I think

Mamabear
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 18:47:36 (permalink)
    Kine, where did you find that info?
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 18:51:09 (permalink)

Here's the LIST OF FEATURES Janet.

I can't wait - it looks great!

Mamabear
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 18:52:01 (permalink)
    Thanks, Steve. Didn't you just upgrade last month? But yeah, $59.00--that's not bad at all!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 19:00:20 (permalink)

I got 6XL in the summer sale Janet - as an upgrade from Guitar Tracks it cost me the equivalent of $90 which I thought was a real bargain.

It will cost me the equivalent of $72 to upgrade to 7XL.

I really like the look of the Step Sequencer and the inclusion of Studio Instruments is a surefire winner [and the layout does look great] so I think it's a no brainer for me.

Plus, as opposed to the yearly upgrade to SONAR, I see it as a total investment of $162 to get the best of two excellent versions HS-XL which is now going to last me for two years at least.

Steve

Mamabear
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 19:03:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve. I actually saw that list of features, but I wondered where Kine found out about the updated look, etc.

And I've only had it a few months too so never even dreamed of updating yet until I saw Kine's post. If it makes it easier, that's worth the price. And the extra toys could prove to be fun too! Thanks!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 19:07:22 (permalink)
    Here you go Janet - there's a screenshot in the first post of THIS THREAD over at SONAR Towers.

LOL - I just love the fact that we're discussing this in the MC forum - I'm really loving this place you know!!

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/09/24 19:09:07

Mamabear
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 19:43:10 (permalink)
    Thanks. And yes, that is sort of funny. But this is just such a great place to hang out!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 7 (and 7XL) 2008/09/24 20:06:29 (permalink)

Janet, I've just found a full list of the new features in THIS NEW STICKY at the top of the Home Studio forum.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1