Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
cassidyguitars
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2013/03/22 20:08:02 (permalink)

Sonar LE Questions and Help

Hi people,

Im new here so im sorry if what im asking has been asked already or if this is the wrong place to post this. I have a few questions about this as well as so help i need (an will need). so first of all i got Sonar LE with a Boss ME-25 multi pedal for my guitar. Does this come with any virtual instrument? if not where can i download them? Another question is changing the imput settings. I know theres a bar beside the audio track that shows the signal but how do i change it because its either too high or too low?

Thats about it for now but expect more problems from me XD

Thanks

Windows Vista- 3gb- 32 bit laptop

Recording with Sonar le 8.5 (trying to anyway)

40 Replies Related Threads

jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1169
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/22 23:06:19 (permalink)
    I'm not 100% sure what LE comes with, but you can try Insert>Soft Synth to see what it offers you. About adjusting inputs, what interface are you using from your guitar to the computer?

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar X1, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/23 07:43:25 (permalink)
    Ok i tryed doing the soft synth and adjusted knobs and saw what difference it made with the keyboard but after a couple times the keyboard wouldnt play. 

Im running my guitar to the I have my guitar to the ME-25 which goes to the computer and that goes to my amp

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12731
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/23 10:13:09 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    I see that the BOSS is also an audio interface. Did you download the latest drivers for the ME-25 and your operating system? If not, go here: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1058 and do that. Then change the Driver Mode in SONAR to ASIO.

SONAR doesn't control the input level in any way. That's up to the BOSS to do. Once a track is recorded, you can use the controls in the Track Pane to adjust the volume level.
    What keyboard are you referring to?

Greg 

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3a, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/23 13:25:11 (permalink)
    All i know that i downloaded was Sonar and when i plugged my ME-25 to the computer it had me download something else which allowed me to change the mic and recording in the control panel. is that the same as the drive? 

I have another question. When i play a track, every few seconds it stops and a DROPOUT sign pops up. I looked it up and i found it had something to do with buffering. It had to be less (or more) than an audio buffer? or something like that. how do i fix this?

Thanks for the help!

jhughs
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/23 16:32:07 (permalink)
    Under audio options you should be able to adjust the latency buffer for higher latency. That usually helps. Also, if you are recording with a very high sample rate and bit depth, that also tends to load down the PC. I think a lot of people use 48,000 for sampling and 24 or even 32 bit depth.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar X1, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/23 20:26:31 (permalink)
    Woah! ok well im assuming that audio options is just going to options and clicking audio. when this comes up i have a Mixing Latency section with Buffers in Playback Queue and Buffer size. I have a 32 bit laptop im using so what settings should this be on?

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -14.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6061
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/24 05:01:41 (permalink)
    What are the specs of your laptop?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    57Gregy
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/24 09:44:42 (permalink)
    The Driver Mode will be either MME, WDM, WASAPI or ASIO.
    You find that under options>Audio in older programs or View>Preferences in the newer, X1-based programs.
    I think you should use ASIO, if possible.
    Also under Options>Audio or Preferences, make sure that the BOSS is listed and selected as both the Recording Device (or Timing Master) and Playback Device.
    You may have to close and re-open the program after changing these settings.

Greg 

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3a, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

jhughs
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/24 15:01:42 (permalink)
    Cassidy - Sorry didn't mean to throw you in the deep end.  Take a look at the Audio Configuration  video at the Cakewalk University site: http://www.cakewalk.com/C...ONARU.aspx/Get-Started

The thing I'm talking about is at about minute 2:50 (note: you may need to click on the ASIO Panel button).

The sample rate and bit depth are unrelated to whether your PC is running a 32 or 64 bit operating system.  To convert audio from analog to digital, the converter will measure the audio level several times every second.  To accurately convert back from digital to analog the sample rate should be double the highest frequency being recorded.  The bit depth indicates how precisely accurate the measurements are to the original analog value.   CDs are play at 44,100 samples per second 16 bit depth.
    This may help you understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth

J Hughs Soundclick
    cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/24 19:05:33 (permalink)
    Wow thats a lot of info! 

Kalle: What do you mean by specs? more specifically, what specs do you need   

Gregy: I lost you after Options. Im using MME. how do i get ASIO? and under Audio, where do i change the recording device and playback device?

jhughs: so does the buffing speed matter? (sorry im in a rush so i haven't watched the vid yet if its in it)

Thanks for your help!!

post edited by cassidyguitars - 2013/03/24 19:07:26

PapDaPhat1
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/24 23:56:38 (permalink)
    When I record my audio tracks when I listen to the playback the audio is faster then what I recorded and off tempo as well.  Also the more audio tracks that I record the more off tempo and faster they get. What am I doing wrong?

Running live audio (instruments and vocals) though Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
    Sonar LE 8.5
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/25 03:05:39 (permalink)
    Cassidy: We need to know if your PC is capable of handling SONAR at all. Operating system, CPU, amount of RAM. It's good to put these in your signature, because you need to give that info every time you ask a question here.

PapDaPhat1: Welcome! Most likely SONAR and Saffire are set to different sample rates. It's better that in the future you start a thread of your own for your questions. Jumping in between of someone elses query like this is called "hijacking". That can make answering very complicated, when several issues are bounced around simultaneously.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/25 06:03:50 (permalink)
    Ok their in my signature. hope this is what you mean. if not im not sure where to find my operating system or CPU type

cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/27 18:26:39 (permalink)
    Sorry for the bump. any1?

57Gregy
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/27 22:03:35 (permalink)
    cassidyguitars

Gregy: I lost you after Options. Im using MME. how do i get ASIO? and under Audio, where do i change the recording device and playback device? 

You get ASIO by clicking the drop-down arrow beside where it reads MME. If you've downloaded and installed the latest ASIO drivers from BOSS, that should work.
    The same to change the rec/play device.
    You may have to close and re-open the program once you change the driver mode.

Greg 

cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/28 07:14:01 (permalink)
    I think i downloaded it because i found it and it works when i use it. but when i record something and change it back, the recording wont play. Is that obvious because i changed the driver? Another thing is after i record and unplug my ME-25, the recordings wont play. ???? Last question. how do i save my song as an MP3?

Thanks!

Kalle Rantaaho
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/28 07:35:24 (permalink)
    ME-25 is your audio interface. If you unplug it you don't have a soundcard = no sound, unless you switch back to the integrated chip. Driver mode has got nothing to do with it, as long as you have both the right interface and suitable driver selected. Both playback and recording timing masters must be the ME-25, and in/out drivers the respective ASIO-driver.

Did I understand correctly: Do you change back and forth between ASIO and MME? Or what are you "changing back and the recording won't play"?? If you got things running with ASIO, there's no need ever to change to another driver mode. Please be more precise when you explain what you're doing.

Export the project as .wav and use LAME, Audacity or whatever free MP3 encoder . I don't think LE comes with an encoder, but I'm not sure.

57Gregy
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/28 09:45:24 (permalink)
    Right. Once you have it set up, you shouldn't change anything while still using SONAR. You can change the ASIO buffers while mixing if your song contains lots of software synthesizers and/or dozens of tracks and the computer is struggling to process everything quickly enough, but that isn't always necessary.
    If you have the BOSS set up as playback device and it's not on or plugged in, the computer and SONAR 'see' that and won't play... because there is no playback device.
    You can't save the song as an mp3 within SONAR, but you may be able to Export it as an mp3. Click File>Export and see what options are available to you.
    Otherwise, use an after-market mp3 converter. Many are free.
    I use Windows Media Player to convert, but not everyone's WMP can do that.

Greg 

cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/29 09:15:42 (permalink)
    Kalle: Yes i changed it from MME to ASIO to see a difference. (Still new with this stuff)

Greg: If i export it will i still be able to work on it it sonar?

57Gregy
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/29 09:37:33 (permalink)
    If i export it will i still be able to work on it it sonar?

The SONAR project will still be intact. The export will be an mp3 mixdown of the project. If you have that option in SONAR.

Greg 

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2017
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/30 01:45:52 (permalink)
    The ME-25 is not an audio/interface. You plug the ME-25 into a audio interface that is plugged into the computer. The sound goes into the audio/interface to record, then if playing back the sound goes out to the audio/interface to go to your amp. http://www.sweetwater.com...udio/audio_interfaces/ You can try a built-in sound card with probably adaptors to try and get it to Sonar but a regular audio/interface is much better. All things go into the audio/interface and adjust volume to record into Sonar. Use ASIO as the driver if you have those as a driver with the audio/interface and set things in Sonar to tell it in the Audio Menu Options Item when after setting things there to enable you to record and playback in the first place. The ME-25 is a guitar effects box, and although you can use the pedal as a volume (I have not used my yet, but have another manufacturer's guitar box also I have used) to get the volume into Sonar still needs an audio/interface to get into the computer and out of the computer back to the audio/interface to get to your amp. It just don't work that way.

spacealf
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/30 01:57:46 (permalink)
    That is with the guitar type cords plugged into the ME-25 with the previous post. I saw on there a USB output or plug-in on the ME-25 but you will have to read the book on that one. First the computer would have to recognize the device as an input in Device Manager on the computer as a USB input device (like a mouse perhaps say), but still it is not a playback device like an audio/interface, still you may get it to record into Sonar if Sonar recognizes it as an input to use, then that has to be marked in Audio Menu Item of probably Options where you set up Sonar to record and playback, and the playback or output of Sonar would have to go into a sound card (bad not professional) or an audio/interface (good) then, and then to the amp. Sure you can plug the ME-25 into an amp, but a computer audio/interface or sound card is not an amp. The audio/interface or sound card is only another type of input and output for the computer to use and record or play music. And then if the USB works on the ME-25 (which I have not used yet) then Sonar will only work with 44,100kHz sample rate (which has to be set in Sonar) and what 16 or 24 bit into the computer and Sonar. That is how it all works.
    post edited by spacealf - 2013/03/30 02:01:04

57Gregy
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/30 09:06:37 (permalink)
    It is an audio interface, too.

Boss ME-25 Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal   Guitar Multi-effects Pedal with COSM Amp Models, Aux iPod Input, 38-second Looper, and Built-in USB Audio Interface - Mac/PC

Greg 

spacealf
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/31 14:18:47 (permalink)
    So it is an audio/interface. I should hook it up and use it, but I like the cords out into another audio/interface instead of USB.
    post edited by spacealf - 2013/03/31 14:20:12

jhughs
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/03/31 19:32:08 (permalink)
    Cassidy - did you ever get this up and going?  Seems like you were close.  During playback if you can see the Sonar meters moving it's probably playing.  As Kalle pointed out, the ME-25 becomes your audio interface, so if you're not hearing anything try plugging headphones into the ME-25 and then see if you hear the playback.

J Hughs Soundclick
    spacealf
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/04/03 18:02:47 (permalink)
    I can not find my manual for the Boss ME-25, but I do own one, and a Digitech Guitar Effects Box also and found that one. All of them to me are the same. They all are a recording device only with an aux input (mini-plug - 1/8" for plugging in a playback device say from the computer). But in Sonar for each track you wish to record on, you have to set up the input to the track and the output for the track. I use a audio/interface so the ASIO drivers become the input - like left, right, or stereo for each track to record on. The output I usually put to Master for each track for Sonar to mix down with before sending it back out to a audio/interface or say a sound card in the computer. The aux mini-jack on the ME-25 would be like playing a *.mp3 file from the computer sounding out to the sound card and taking a cord and hooking up to the aux input of the ME-25 to say listen to a recording while play ing along with it. But only the guitar plugged in to the ME-25 is going to come out of it and be able to record into the computer with. There are not sound synths (soft synths) in it, just tones and sounds to change a little with pre-sets for distortion, or reverb or wah, or phazers or whatever effects for the guitar sound instead of the plain -ol' straight guitar. If anything they are only one-way recording devices and not a playback device unless outputting from a sound card or audio/interface into the ME-25 in the first place. Just like new synths have an input to play a *.mp3 file or wave file perhaps into a synth but it does not output the sound again to record with only the synth output sound of the patch of the synth. It sounds like the problem you are having is setting up the tracks in Sonar to record on. There are separate inputs and outputs for each track to set before arming the track to record on, and the volume is only handled by the ME-25 volume pedal, except on my Digitech (same type unit) even full down on the pedal probably won't overdrive the input into the computer and any volume changes like a volume pedal on my synth will not be moved much to change the volume into the computer and Sonar recording software.

spacealf
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/04/03 18:07:53 (permalink)
    I must say when I edit the sound on my Digitech that there is volume for stuff you can set for the distortion and other effects, and perhaps an overall volume that can be set in the unit, I would have to find out how to edit on the ME-25 when I find the manual to see if the volume can be set. But I think that there is a difference between the two units (the Boss and the Digitech units) and the Boss may not be as flexible but sounds better than the Digitech unit I bought before it. That is the only reason I bought the Boss ME-25 because the amp sims and effects are better in the unit than the Digitech unit. Well that is about it, wonder what I did with the manual have to find it.

spacealf
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/04/04 16:37:25 (permalink)
    Yes, found the manual (on the shelf behind me in plain sight. Duh! The Aux input (say *.mp3 file playing) does not record out of the USB only the guitar sound if playing along with a iPod or IPad or iPhone whatever they are. It mentions nothing about the 1/4" regular cords out of the unit. You can edit sounds on it for effects and what to use the pedal for (which all the way down turns on the FX effects like wah in which case the pedal becomes the wah pedal) which is usually used as a volume pedal. I imagine the Boss ME-25 does not put out more that way then the Digitech in which case the volume all the way up is just adequate enough to record with into Sonar, and backing off a little makes for the volume changes needed for recording a song. There is also the solo switch on the unit which may raise the volume output of the ME-25 for leads but in any case changing the effects around or storing your own sounds into the unit in one of the slots for storing a setting it is best to read the manual because you get to set all of that up or use it like it came from the factory where it was built. The End!

cassidyguitars
    Re:Sonar LE Questions and Help 2013/04/06 09:14:44 (permalink)
    Sorry guys for my disappearance. btw i didnt get a chance to read all your stuff spacealf but jhughs: Yes i did get it running but when i record something then unplug the ME-25, i cant listen to what i recorded. Do i have to have it plugged in 24/7?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1