Sonar Mix Engineer Needed

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jon503
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2007/08/05 15:08:52 (permalink)

Sonar Mix Engineer Needed

Long time Sonar user and forum lurker...great community!!

I'm hoping some of you can recommend a good mix engineer that will accept a Sonar project. I've been searching for some time now and it's proving very difficult. International engineers are OK too.

Thanks in advance.
post edited by jon503 - 2007/08/05 15:16:36

52 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 15:53:05 (permalink)
    Hi Jon,

My advice:
    Don't get too caught up with what the engineer uses for software.

You can deliver a Sonar Project, OMF file, or simply send the project as Wav files (that all start from the same point in time). The Wav file option is commonly used in Pro circles... and works fine.

FWIW, I'd focus more on selecting the engineer based on the results of his/her work and reputation.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 15:53:34 (permalink)
    Do you mean mastering engineer, or do you need someone to mix your tracks?? The way you posted it, implies that you need someone to mix your song and i would never let someone do that. They dont know what you had in mind when tracking it.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Rodar6
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 16:05:02 (permalink)
    Hey,

Yeah CJ is right with this one, there is a difference between mixing and mastering.

There is a member who usually hangs out in the Songs forum of this site who does free mastering !!!

Apparentley he is building up quite a reputation.

As for mixing maybe you could also ask someone in here if they fancy doing it for you ! It can't do any harm and you can compare the differences at the end of the day with your own mix!!!

Goodluck

Rod

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 16:25:36 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the responses.

You can deliver a Sonar Project, OMF file, or simply send the project as Wav files (that all start from the same point in time). I'd focus more on selecting the engineer based on the results of his/her work and reputation.

I hear ya on the reasons why to select an engineer. I'll look into the OMF option...though, I've heard of cases where it can be buggy.

To give you more background, I've already mixed my songs but they don't translate well to listening environments outside my studio. I need a mix engineer to iron out the problem areas and possibly add to them.

My primary concern with the wav file option is that because my songs are intricate (70+ tracks, instruments fading in/out, automation, effects, etc.), it would be unrealistically difficult to rebuild each song and match what I originally had. Without going into more detail, my existing mix settings need to be editable.

...or do you need someone to mix your tracks?? The way you posted it, implies that you need someone to mix your song and i would never let someone do that. They dont know what you had in mind when tracking it.

Yes, as the title of the thread states, I need a mix engineer. And I share your concern which is why I want to keep them from having to rebuild my mixes.
    post edited by jon503 - 2007/08/05 16:33:41
    Gman559
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 16:43:14 (permalink)
    Hey Jon,
    I sent you an email. Check it out
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 17:22:36 (permalink)
    Jon, i would fix the problems in your mix enviroment, because it is flawed the way you have it now and if you track in that same enviroment, those tracks are going to be flawed. Your going to need to treat your room with bass traps and other obsorbtion material.
    This is crucial to have a room that has a flat frequency responce. I would get on this ASAP.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 17:28:09 (permalink)
    CJ is correct,

The major problem with mixes beside the individuals performing the mixes is the lack of proper room treatment. One you take care of the room treatment and begin mixing your songs, you will hear a major difference when you take your mixes out of the studio.

Peace [8D
    (Is Sonar 7 here yet?)

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 17:54:58 (permalink)
    Actually, I had thought of the same situtatioin....getting a mix engineer(or a HIGH-end studio).
    Mainly for these reasons:

1. a better listening environment that I could actually create in my own home.
    2. better playback monitors than I could afford
    3. better ears(?)...or actually someone comfortable with the genre I do and "fresh ears" to HELP mix
    4. better processing gear...say if I went out of the box, back in... like some nice hardware processing.
    5. providing tracks and maybe doing important overdubs, like the lead vocals, while doing "virtual" and DI instruments at home.

there are other reasons, but those are some of the main ones I think of.
    Since I live near Nashville, I'm thinking of a TOP end studio (you can get reasonable weekend rates actually) and finishing up a project, while doing the "bulk" at home. No need to track MIDI stuff, DI instruments there, I would THINK. But singing thru a VERY nice mic, thru a very nice pre, with the "weak link" ONLY being my wallet!!.... not the tech talent and equipment.

I am considering this ONLY because I'd like to take a couple of projects out of the "home recording status" and hire some "big guns" to potentially help out. Same reason I would look for a respected mastering engineer to finish it up rather than thinking I could do it myself.... Pro ears, great speakers, not to mention getting some high quality experience involved in my projects (of course for a price!)
    post edited by mixmkr - 2007/08/05 18:03:21
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 17:57:33 (permalink)
    Jon, i would fix the problems in your mix enviroment, because it is flawed the way you have it now and if you track in that same enviroment, those tracks are going to be flawed. Your going to need to treat your room with bass traps and other obsorbtion material. This is crucial to have a room that has a flat frequency responce. I would get on this ASAP.

First off, thanks again for your willingness to help.

I couldn't agree more on room treatment. I treated my room a couple years back...8 bass traps (2'x4') along with other high frequency absorption (Ethan Winer is my hero ). Room treatment definitely helped but lingering problems persist because of the dimensions of my room. From what I've researched it's exactly what you don't want...small and boxy. This is simply the reality of my situation.

I'm considering demoing the JBL's LSR monitors to see if they help things. But, in the mean time, any mix engineers out there?
    mixmkr
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:03:44 (permalink)
    to continue.... I am actually getting close to finishing a project, and am thinking of taking a song or two to try this out.... mixing/getting opinions/overdubbing lead vocals/etc... at a place like Ocean Way, Sound Kitchen.... I have no idea of they would want to even do something like this, but I am curious if anyone else has done anything along this route.

On a tangent, I collaborated online with someone who has a contract (via our online demos) with a world caliber label, and is actually do such. He recorded his MIDI stuff at home, and is hiring real strings, etc to put on his projcet. He infact used Sonar (Sonar3) , but I haven't talked with him in a month or so to see how it is progressing. Last I heard, he was unfortunately kinda ticked at the "tracking" engineer who thought he was wearing "producer's pants" in addition....hence he fired him. But I am not sure at what point his recording situation is now.
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:07:39 (permalink)
    1. a better listening environment that I could actually create in my own home.
    2. better playback monitors than I could afford
    3. better ears(?)...or actually someone comfortable with the genre I do and "fresh ears" to HELP mix
    4. better processing gear...say if I went out of the box, back in... like some nice hardware processing.
    5. providing tracks and maybe doing important overdubs, like the lead vocals, while doing "virtual" and DI instruments at home.

Word.

I'm a die hard do-it-yourselfer and have gone about it on my own up to this point. But the reasons you list (especially #3) are why I'm on the hunt for a proven (Sonar) mix engineer.
    post edited by jon503 - 2007/08/05 18:17:54
    mixmkr
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:15:12 (permalink)
    While I agree strongly with the room treatment, I think using nearfield monitors to SOME degree has helped to overcome lousy sounding mixing environments (like "home" studios). The LSR speakers are fantastic. However, I use an old pair of JBL 4311 that I bought a long time ago and like them quite a bit too. I am strongly thinking of some LSR myself.
    I think when you start getting into mid-field speakers, is where the room REALLY starts to be more important, which the JBL line usually is manufactured as. I am calling speakers like the little Mackies, KRK, etc... (while VERY nice speakers) as nearfield, as for the most part, the mix engineer is sitting in the "sweet" spot, no more than a couple feet away. Sitting 10 feet away from some playback monitors is another deal.
    Jon... I think that your situation may be common to many home reccors.... their studios are in square rooms (common to home environments), and you can do so much with a room not INITIALLY built for recording/listening. Ethan's advice is top notch, but you can only do so much in a 12 x 12 room with drywall and 8' ceilings (like typical bedrooms).

Jon, my advice, which is probably going to be my route, is to check out some studios instead of looking for the engineer first. BUT, go to studios with the reps (with good engineers). Remember, the engineer is going to need a place to mix also, potentially not THEIR home setup, but a pro environment.
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:21:43 (permalink)
    mixing/getting opinions/overdubbing lead vocals/etc... at a place like Ocean Way, Sound Kitchen.... I have no idea of they would want to even do something like this, but I am curious if anyone else has done anything along this route.

My opinion is that for tracking, unless you are tracking a drum kit or piano where the room plays a big role in the sound, it makes more financial sense to do your tracking in a smaller, less expensive, yet well-equipped studio. Additionally, there are many great mix engineers that work independent of studios. Combine this with the fact that most small studios rent out rooms to these mobile engineers and you end up paying less for a proper mixing room while getting the engineer you want.
    post edited by jon503 - 2007/08/05 18:41:45
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:26:25 (permalink)
    BUT, go to studios with the reps (with good engineers).

I've been considering this as well. I'm in Portland OR and there are a couple of smaller studios but with good reputations. However, this gets me back to my Sonar issue. Should I just bring in my PC and have them work off that? I'm afraid I'll get scoffed at
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:35:33 (permalink)
    Why are you ignoring Jim's advice from post 2?

"or simply send the project as Wav files (that all start from the same point in time). The Wav file option is commonly used in Pro circles... and works fine."

that's how it's done...

best regards,
    mike
    mixmkr
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:41:23 (permalink)
    I am going to guess he was interested because he would be resurrecting HUGE projects (like his 72 track dealie) and might be thinking of trying to trim as many steps as possible. But, I think the OMF files... .wav files is the most popular route. Phew.... 72 .wav files!!
    mixmkr
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:43:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jon503

My opinion is that for tracking, unless you are tracking a drum kit or piano where the room plays a big role in the sound, it makes more financial sense to do your tracking in a smaller, less expensive, yet well-equipped studio. Additionally, there are many great mix engineers that work independent of studios. Combine this with the fact that most small studios rent out rooms to these mobile engineers and you end up paying less for a proper mixing room while getting the engineer you want.

I can agree with all of that.
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:44:51 (permalink)
    Hey Mike,
    I addressed Jim's advice directly.

Check out post #5
    "My primary concern with the wav file option..."

And yes, I realize that it's the most common way since Sonar seems to be a rarity in commercial studios. I guess I'm searching for a miracle.

Best,
    j
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:50:31 (permalink)
    I am going to guess he was interested because he would be resurrecting HUGE projects (like his 72 track dealie) and might be thinking of trying to trim as many steps as possible. But, I think the OMF files... .wav files is the most popular route. Phew.... 72 .wav files!!

Thank you mixmkr.

Trust me ya'll, I just need someone that will take Sonar.

Anyone? Anyone?
    post edited by jon503 - 2007/08/05 18:59:10
    mixmkr
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 18:58:56 (permalink)
    Jon... let me jump back in here one more time.

I think that in asking here you are polling mostly home recordists ....probably like you and I are at this point.

Try calling those studios up in Portland and see if you can bring your computer in...or whatever. Probably the most successful route in getting the answer you're looking for. I'd think after calling two or three of them, you'll get a feel for what you need to do....or they'll point you in the direction you are looking to go.
    post edited by mixmkr - 2007/08/05 19:06:48
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 19:09:57 (permalink)
    I think that in asking here you are polling mostly home recordists ....probably like you and I are at this point.

Try calling those studios up in Portland and see if you can bring your computer in...or whatever. Probably the most successful route in getting the answer you're looking for. I'd think after calling two or three of them, you'll get a feel for what you need to do....or they'll point you in the direction you are looking to go.

Agreed. I was just hoping that someone like you or I that took the next step could put up a referral. Anyhow, thanks for your help and best of luck with your project.

Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 19:32:48 (permalink)
    What about your sound is different when listening outside your room ?
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 19:38:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

Thats the most important issue that should be fixed ASAP
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 20:08:55 (permalink)
    jon503............In the past, I have recorded large projects with the intent of mixing at another studio. I just pulled the harddrive out and took it with me. My Daw has hotswap bays. Just for this purpose.

Peace...........Scoobie

(There is alot of studio's that can take your OMF files. Just look around.)
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 20:25:58 (permalink)
    Many people give their sessions to other people to mix. Ever hear of Andy Wallace or Chris Lorde Alge?? I frequently mix other people's stuff. I mix mostly rock/metal, but I'm open to anything. You can check out some of my previous mixes on myspace, or I can send you a demo CD by snail mail. Email me at dave@stomprocket.net for price and other details. That goes for anyone who is having trouble getting their mixes to sounds good, btw. Oh, and I have Sonar, in case you didn't know.
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 20:31:52 (permalink)

It changes from song to song and system to system. Sometimes it's the mids that get exaggerated. Other times there's low-end/mid-range muddiiness. And then there could be some stereo imaging issues. It runs the gamut. Some of the mixes just lack the punch and polish and clarity that great mixes have.

Thats the most important issue that should be fixed ASAP

Do you mean the monitoring environment / setup? Not sure what else I could do short of knocking out some walls to make the room larger. And testing out the JBL LSR monitors?

Still, this gets back to what mixmkr mentioned about having another set of ears-in-the-know to contribute to the mix. I've been working on this project a while and my objectivity is waning.

There is alot of studio's that can take your OMF files. Just look around.

Thanks for the advice Scoobie. I'll definitely look into what you and Jim suggested about OMF files.

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 20:55:23 (permalink)
    Jon,
    I'm sorry I didn't see your specific reply to Jims recomendation.

But now that I see it I say.... poppycock! That's how it's done. Your not the only guy with lots of tracks.

If you have a bunch of efx that your not willing to freeze then I suggest your expecting too much of a mix engineer. Either strip the efx and let the mix engineer sweeten with the tools of their choice or commit and ask the mix engineer to focus on level and EQ balance.

It's starting to sound to me like you want them to mix using your choice of tools.

Don't forget that dedicated mix engineers get source material from every kind of technology and then they usually transfer to the system of their choice. It's routine for them.
    OMF is a major pain.... that's with the industry uses the .wav files all starting at the same point... it's just like a multitrack tape then.... more universal in fact.

Recently a engineer friend found some old tapes he had recorded on 8 track analog of an early 80's band I played in. He digitized the tapes in PTHD and offered me DVD's of the content (all .wavs as suggested above). I remixed them in Sonar. It's just a great way to do transfers.

anyways, best of luck finding the sound you want,
    mike
    Saintom
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1749
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 23:13:45 (permalink)
    Jon503, Opal studios in Portland runs Sonar, He might be what you are looking for. I have know the owner for quite a while, He is very good at what he does.

Hope this will be of some interest.

Tom
    jon503
    RE: Sonar Mix Engineer Needed 2007/08/05 23:22:49 (permalink)
    MIke,
    Your advice is candid and much appreciated.

It's starting to sound to me like you want them to mix using your choice of tools.

The tools, in part. The other mixing decisions that I'm happy with and want preserved are the other factor, not just effects. The production of the songs hinge on many of the decisions I've made in the current mixes.

If you have a bunch of efx that your not willing to freeze then I suggest your expecting too much of a mix engineer.

Not sure I understand what you mean but I have been told that a mix engineer will want to do their "thing" with it...which is great if I like their "thing". I guess finding an mix engineer that I jive with should be the focus.

Don't forget that dedicated mix engineers get source material from every kind of technology and then they usually transfer to the system of their choice. It's routine for them.

This is really good to know. Makes it seem less daunting.

Thanks again.
    post edited by jon503 - 2007/08/05 23:30:47
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1