Helpful ReplySonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
parco
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 12:37:18 (permalink)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
"NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:00000001
"SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Audio]
"Scheduling Category"="High"
"SFIO Priority"="High"
"Latency Sensitive"="True"
"Priority"=dword:00000008
"GPU Priority"=dword:0000001f
"BackgroundPriority"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Pro Audio]
"SFIO Priority"="High"

This is always my MMCSS config, note that Latency Sensitive is only available in Windows 8 or above.
taccess
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 12:41:54 (permalink)
Timur Born
Either set core affinities for the DAW process manually via Task-Manager or get "Process Lasso" and tell it to set affinities for your specific DAW programs automatically. The latter means that you can set it once for each program and then every time you start a program it uses the same affinities. PL even comes with a simple one-click entry for setting affinity to only physical cores.

The reason why Hyperthreading causes trouble in this scenario is because Hyperthreading uses only free core resources for the second logical core, practically "left-overs". Usually only 20-30% of a physical core can be used for Hyperthreading, the rest of the hardware is already used by the other logical core. Interestingly this is an area where AMD Ryzen is said to work quite well, I did not find time to check that yet, though.

Well I hope it works for him he sounds exhausted with this issue and affinity was the last thing I would have suggested although I have been doing some reading on affinity and unlike a lot of threads that made me believe it is something to leave alone, I now know that is not true and advanced users who know what to use it for make good use of it.
Speaking of another advanced feature.
Timur if you could give some more advice : NUMA & Cakewalk !

> http://forum.cakewalk.com...-aware-OS-m733282.aspx
( Above is a positive tread with cakewalk and NUMA)
> https://software.intel.co...onitoring/topic/392519
( Above is a great thread highlighting how NUMA can be used and is used to create memory bandwidth and extra worker threads for applications if they are threaded correctly through the OS .0
> http://forums.cgsociety.o...ndex.php?t-819748.html
( this is another thread I found which has a chunk of the z800 manual states: NUMA offers the potential to improve memory bandwidth and latency for multi-process or multi-threadedapplications or workloads. Notice also there is a NUMA Split Mode also for the z800 which I have yet to research )

Either way iam going to give NUMA a try for a month ( as long as Platinum allows it that is ) before I enable it I want to try it properly and that involves understanding it properly first.

My understanding is this :
1) NUMA if used correctly ties in with hyperthreading to provide seperate memory for each processor .
2) Like affinity, NUMA if used correctly with correct applications supporting hyperthreading can enhance memory by a factor of the amount of processors or memory banks ! That's huge!
3) If used incorrectly it may perform poorly.

I will continue to research this more before I pull the pin, but what i am not sure of entirely yet is :

1) quoted from link above : ( For instance, if numa is enabled, on a multisocket box, you can right click on a process in taskmanager, select set affinity for the process, and you will see a list of cpus and their associated numa node number.)
1a ) Node numbers and how windows 10 OS manages them . Is this automatic or do I have to go to task manager and manually set affinity and or distribute the CPUs and nodes there too?

2) do u know a way a can do a short test where I can test NUMA's performance with Platinum !

Just had a brain fart , it's late going to bed. If you have any advice I would appreciate your feedback .

z800 Dual x5690
NvME 256gb 950Pro / Win10
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
taccess
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 12:50:16 (permalink)
parco
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
"NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:00000001
"SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Audio]
"SFIO Priority"="High"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Pro Audio]
"SFIO Priority"="High"

This is always my MMCSS config, note that Latency Sensitive is only available in Windows 8 or above.

Yeah why is latency sensitive missing in win 10 ? I don't think it matters though, because platinum points to ProAudio.
Your settings are exactly the same as my multimedia file too (:

I have come to believe that "Priority" could be left at 2 and is still regarded as high ! and that "schedule priority (High) "is supersedes Priority which means that Priority does not need any adjustments. Correct me if I am wrong.

Update: regarding my comment on latency sensitive , I told you I had a brain fart, what I meant was there used to be a MMCSS profile called low latency and that was meant to be the question ! Yeah why is the MMCSS Profile "low latency "missing from Win 10 ! Did they swap it out by adding the "latency sensitive " setting across the profiles which if so is fantastic.

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
arachnaut
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1168
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 14:58:19 (permalink)
Timur Born
Either set core affinities for the DAW process manually via Task-Manager or get "Process Lasso" and tell it to set affinities for your specific DAW programs automatically. The latter means that you can set it once for each program and then every time you start a program it uses the same affinities. PL even comes with a simple one-click entry for setting affinity to only physical cores.

The reason why Hyperthreading causes trouble in this scenario is because Hyperthreading uses only free core resources for the second logical core, practically "left-overs". Usually only 20-30% of a physical core can be used for Hyperthreading, the rest of the hardware is already used by the other logical core. Interestingly this is an area where AMD Ryzen is said to work quite well, I did not find time to check that yet, though.

I don't want to tell a DAW which core to use. I want it to spread it's VST load across only physical cores, skipping the adjacent logical core.

You can't set affinity for a DLL (VST).

So that's why I was looking at the affinity mask.

By the way, these types of processor masks always seem to be a 32-bit object (DWORD) - what happens when AMD 96-logical-core Starship arrives next year?

- Jim Hurley -
SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
arachnaut
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 15:03:52 (permalink)
taccess

Well I hope it works for him he sounds exhausted with this issue ...

No that doesn't work.

If you have any interest in this topic as it pertains to Reaktor, I welcome you to look over this thread in the Reaktor forums:

Managing Behemoths
https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/managing-behemoths.317483/

- Jim Hurley -
64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
Sheanes
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 684
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 15:04:41 (permalink)
thanks for sharing your expert knowledge Taccess and Timur Born !!!

parco
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 17:15:22 (permalink)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
"IRQ8Priority"=dword:00000001
"IRQ18Priority"=dword:00000001
"IRQ0Priority"=dword:00000001
"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000024

and here are my another registry configs. Note that IRQ18 is my TI 1394 card for my Audiofire 4. So just modify the IRQ number to the IRQ of your sound device, or any USB, 1394, thunderbolt or ac-bridge ethernet card which connecting your sound device, so make sure they got their own exclusive IRQ number and not sharing with other hardwares. IRQ 0 is the clock timer of your CPU and IRQ 8 is the clock timer of your BIOS CMOS.
Sir Les
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 18:05:43 (permalink)
arachnaut
I think he means every time we change something Microsoft comes up with an update and it overwrites our choices.
I find things like Program Defaults should never be altered on updates.

It's an interesting philosophical point - Microsoft owns the software, but we own our personal settings. They are very careful to protect their intellectual property but nonchalant about our choices and settings.

Thank you for interpretation of my words....Right on the money...or should I say Button.

Thanks for you looking into this...regedit writing into ...And seeing what happens when you do...it is not a good idea to do, if you read the ULA of MS...I was warned not to ...when they sent me a copy in my email...

So I try to say, what I know....I know I am not skilled in language proper....But, I try!

Best of luck...

No harm...and take it with salt, and a good cheer...We still do it because we wants to, not because we are paid.

That bugs the hell out of them ugly ones of occult and bent control in "the houses of the greedy" ....Wink..lol....Something about led zep...might think to make made in song one day?, in the new world order being promoted, or new heaven and  Earth to forget?...

Well, if it ain't working as so called claimed...and it is sold as said works with...and you or other has to rewrite code or make corrections for to work....is it as claimed?

That, little bit of error...is a lie?...if lie is used...what happens?....So a causality of ..for an effect to be manifested is put forth..into..perhaps not their fault as the software maker is concerned...But is held by the HOST OS...Then, a recant or forgiveness is granted the ones who claim the workings on..HOST OS....It is not their fault.

So, As we know Sonar has a good base code...
But, MS is screwing with too much change...and thus, no one can predict the standards...and non can!

So although Many appreciate all the help, and tweakings found to help some get going....
Odd things are still occurring.

Not all have, but some who went to blame or are now finding and blaming MS...Are tagged and all sorts of crap is sent down the pipe, and wipe outs of postings...is just another frustration!.

I would not protect them...if they be the cause of so many people I know, having big issues with their business not working as setup for...with MS.

So, not saying MAC is better, for I know not , just learning it myself.....seems, once all is settled..and it works, I am not forced auto updates .
At least that is still in user control...I believe...Yet, I also know, if they want to, they also can flick a push to sabotage any system they want to.

So, reading into hackintosh making of the parts I own...or believe i do...could be rendered ruined is Apple do not like the machine or its violations if any are found with the ULA.

RISK?...YAH...But it might work out ..if it did work...I will wait a bit more so...But candy crush is a slap in the face now with MS....I am not finding it funny to find software put, I need not in my working machines.

If I want to play games...I have a gaming machine...and I will install the games I like...Not what they like me to have on my machine of work, or studio, or just my work horse ...or as I call it my Monster builds.

following instructions, and installing drivers and setup of manuals, has brought me no where but circles with video audio programs...ever since ever was a MS os...and not much has changed, it is always morphing to something, yet it is never truly made completely proper.....and then, newer, and all things are rearranged from common known places, so you have to relearn where they moved all the settings to do a proper setup.

And are they truly working proper?..if off is set, or on is set...if device says it is not working, but is working...something is not right with something .

Now..as this is kind of one of my pets knowing...It writes logs, always to Event viewer...this simple task, is a interruption of my working ethic....as I am plagued with clicks pops and lost drivers, or freezing up using 24-30 tracks at once recordings...and then adding eq or compression...things start to thrash on cpu, spikings,....or Hard drive issues being thrashed also,...and or lost tracks or content not saved when saying save all..as save as....if so , still...is not totally the software's fault...if using libraries of MS..or its Explorer box....Then what is causing such bad performance of the gear?.

And is it tied to the trace and track?..if MS is reading drive content..and you are writing to it...and their security is also monitoring it...you see a reason for interrupts, that might be part of this mystery being with some seeking something...as they tried most if not all the tweaks said to do by most here or there...and still, no glory.

That becomes something to factor out by user?..or RND?..is it in services we find the blissful setting of setup, or regedit, or just tweak the easy stuff is all , as said....Seems some are going in deep now eh?...Is it other things interrupting the cpu to write logs of so much logging , saying something is not working...Yet is working.

It just makes no sense to try to undo..or make do with it...on my end...perhaps I am being made frustrated by other departments of mayhem..to make negative energy be born into flesh...But, no way is it going to make me pop a fuse.

Although yelling at them when even they say...it is working fine, while on a remote viewing, and It is not fine at all...Is just another lie spoken in my ear!

And they close the session...and I got no sound, no working software, and anything I try to install...does not install at all...just disappears Poof...
Audio driver...Disappears...Poof...

And then told to wait until April's release....And they then put all this crap in it...to make more work to remove, and the very next day...it's back!

You hearing me now more so...I tried to post links...removed...I tried to say...removed...I tried...

And I am still trying....why waste your time fixing their blunders, or trying to make it work proper on that kind of dictatorship platform?.

I ask...what can be done has been done by others...choice...do not remove that..for that is the very thing we all have given us.

Now..about more so...if so, is a good thing...should it not be shared on all OS type systems....a Good thing?.

And They said they were working on something with Mac...and toasted it.

Well...other oses exist...and or can be made....not impossible to do if one wants to do it.

And many want something working properly...not buggy!.

Right?...

So, as I do not read or write codex...I know some do...and if I take it up, although I am now getting on in age.
It is not impossible to do something along those ideals.

I do not need a computer to talk to..I got friends of a living sort..and I surely do not want my computer talking to me...or doing things I did not ask be done.

So...it it my computer anymore if using MS os 10, and now the push , to push many off of the earlier versions is in play!.....

tactics...

Thanks for trying to hear, ..and put proper in words simply said....It may open the eye, to ponder...some are selected to be frustrated...some are lead to believe it works for them...some are in cahoots with, and others are sabotaging...it is a war...But who started it?

Lies and liars!...spying, stealing..and in some cases, infiltration of business to corrupt it...and life itself..is in the balance....while many who would do wonders in life and the care of it more so put proper...are all lead down this road of promise that does not pan out to anything more than a machine that stop many from keeping the environments healthy with the love or care for it over it put proper.

Is the machine serving us news of ill will, hate, violence, and making people frustrated when all is said saved work, and you find it all wiped out?...not by you, but by them doing it to your system.

Not nice people eh?...still wana Play games?...and try to make this work for you....I would say.

GOOD LUCK!

Cheers

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Timur Born
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 22:46:19 (permalink)
arachnautI don't want to tell a DAW which core to use. I want it to spread it's VST load across only physical cores, skipping the adjacent logical core.

The original request said "one DAW per core", which sounds like running several DAWs in parallel and wanting to run one instance per core.

Anyway, if you set the affinity of the parent process to only use physical cores then the DAW can only set affinity of its threads (aka VST addons) to use said physical cores.

You can't set affinity for a DLL (VST).

They are part of the parent process and thus adhere to the parent process' affinity restrictions. That is unless you use something like Reaper's option (!) to run addons in their own process.
Timur Born
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 23:01:25 (permalink)
Concerning NUMA: I lack experience with this. As far as I understand NUMA handling is mostly about keeping memory and cache content local to the node/cores that need it for processing. Ryzen may or may not benefit from it, because of its internal dual CCX structure concerning the L3 cache.

But I am not sure how much addons benefit from cache and memory locality and performance anyway. So I fear that I cannot provide much of an insight here. Keep in mind, though, that we keep streaming loads of audio data from slow harddrives (now SSDs) for years already and bandwidth needs of audio data are not that high on current hardware, even less so memory and CPU interconnects.

arachnaut
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 23:19:38 (permalink)
Timur Born

Anyway, if you set the affinity of the parent process to only use physical cores then the DAW can only set affinity of its threads (aka VST addons) to use said physical cores.

That's why I tried Affinity Mask in the MMCSS registry. It doesn't work.
I don't want to add a new tool like Process Lasso, unless that's the only way.
I'm about to abandon hyperthreading.

- Jim Hurley -
Timur Born
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/01 23:26:22 (permalink)
Well, Affinity Mask is one of the registry settings which are said to not be implemented (aka present, but not working).

You could at least try to set process affinity manually via Task-Manager to see whether it makes a difference or not. It's done quicker and easier than messing with the registry.
taccess
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 00:10:33 (permalink)
arachnaut
taccess

Well I hope it works for him he sounds exhausted with this issue ...

No that doesn't work.

If you have any interest in this topic as it pertains to Reaktor, I welcome you to look over this thread in the Reaktor forums:

Managing Behemoths
https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/managing-behemoths.317483/

It sounds to me like the things you have tried should have done the job if it was going to, unless of course there is that one setting you may have missed . Sometimes I go looking for a different perspective and I would suggest ( and I mean this in a friendly manner ) trying another forum, I do and I try to find specific related forums when needed, not because the advice here is incorrect but you might get that one piece of advice no ones pointed out yet.
Example :https://software.intel.co...onitoring/topic/392519

This place has some hard core hyperthreading mad men and although hyperthreading may not be what you need it may be that someone may point out something that connects those elusive dots.
Remember also even if you have tried in a few other forums that still no reason not to try again somewhere else, the biggest mistake we make is feeling exhausted and confused and settling in on the unresolved. Go harder !
I am sure I will head over there about NUMA, soon to.

All I am saying is stay here and go try there too.

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
taccess
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 00:11:16 (permalink)
parco

and here are my another registry configs. Note that IRQ18 is my TI 1394 card for my Audiofire 4. So just modify the IRQ number to the IRQ of your sound device, or any USB, 1394, thunderbolt or ac-bridge ethernet card which connecting your sound device, so make sure they got their own exclusive IRQ number and not sharing with other hardwares. IRQ 0 is the clock timer of your CPU and IRQ 8 is the clock timer of your BIOS CMOS.

Nice one !

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
arachnaut
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 00:13:50 (permalink)
I'm not trying to be difficult here. But what I'm trying to accomplish is mostly for other users, not myself.
I have no personal need for this stuff except as a curiosity.
But others need some help running the stuff.
So DAW-specific solutions or extra tools is not an option.
Setting Affinity using Task Scheduler is a good solution, but there also Mac users.
Right now, turning off hyperthreading is the easiest solution.

- Jim Hurley -
Timur Born
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 08:03:36 (permalink)
I cannot test this myself at the moment:

In Live (and maybe Reaper) have you tried to put a track in between the Reaktor instances? Like track 1 = Reaktor 1, track 2 = empty, track 3 = Reaktor 2? I mean to remember that Live just uses one core per track, aka simply counts up. It's been a long time since I last checked, though.

This might be the easiest solution.
taccess
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 09:05:48 (permalink)
Timur Born

In Live (and maybe Reaper) have you tried to put a track in between the Reaktor instances? Like track 1 = Reaktor 1, track 2 = empty, track 3 = Reaktor 2? I mean to remember that Live just uses one core per track, aka simply counts up. It's been a long time since I last checked, though.

Does that apply to audio and midi tracks in ableton ?

So your saying if a 2 core PC fires up ableton :
then track 1 uses - core 1 , track 2 uses - core 2 , then what happens ?
track 3 uses core - 1, track 4 uses core - 2 and keeps repeating ?
That's some pretty handy info for me ! can you confirm i am understanding you correctly ?

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
taccess
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 10:23:11 (permalink)
parco

Hey i noticed you clock timer is  IRQ0Priority ! Should'nt it reflect the IRQexactly and  be IRQ00Priority ?

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
Sir Les
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 11:52:19 (permalink)
taccess
parco

Hey i noticed you clock timer is  IRQ0Priority ! Should'nt it reflect the IRQexactly and  be IRQ00Priority ?

So Irq issues...I thought so....Seems some one is proving me right....Yep!

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
arachnaut
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 15:37:01 (permalink)
taccess
Timur Born

Does that apply to audio and midi tracks in ableton ?

That's some pretty handy info for me ! can you confirm i am understanding you correctly ?

I wrote a document about this a long time ago. Currently things are the same for Live, but Sonar has improved.
I just bought Reaper a few days ago to test with it. With its CPU restrictor, it works best for me.

http://www.arachnaut.net/Reaktor/This%20is%20the%20result%20of%20a%20series%20of%20tests%20I%20made%20using%20two%20DAWs.pdf

I'm currently experimenting with hyperthreading OFF, but I'm not so happy with the resulting performance of non-Reaktor audio projects.

I'm also experimenting with CPU affinity masks set with the Task manager, but so far I can't get Affinity masks to stick to an executable, so I might be doing something wrong.

- Jim Hurley -
Timur Born
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 23:24:04 (permalink)
taccessDoes that apply to audio and midi tracks in ableton ?

From memory I would say that it's just track numbers, regardless of whether it's audio or midi. But it's best to check for yourself (I cannot at the moment). Just produce some load on various tracks and watch CPU core load in Windows Resource-Monitor.
Timur Born
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/02 23:28:00 (permalink)
arachnautI wrote a document about this a long time ago. Currently things are the same for Live, but Sonar has improved.

"The same" in what regard? If Live (still) allocates CPU cores based on track numbers then you get easy control over which addon uses what core on certain tracks. I'd examine it myself again, but I just killed my AIO in another test and currently have no fully running Windows installation/PC available and lack time to set it up quickly.

I'm also experimenting with CPU affinity masks set with the Task manager, but so far I can't get Affinity masks to stick to an executable, so I might be doing something wrong.

Task-Manager does not save affinity and priority over an application restart, it's always only just for currently running processes. That's what Process Lasso offers (among other things), to set an affinity mask that sticks with every start of an application.
parco
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/03 04:24:02 (permalink)
taccess
parco

This IRQ number is totally not necessary to pad any zero, just fill in the real number then that is.
IRQ 0 = clock of your processor
IRQ 8 = clock of your motherboard

And I did test all IRQ configs and all results are worse than raising the priority of all three of them.
taccess
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/03 05:53:50 (permalink)
parco
taccess
parco

This IRQ number is totally not necessary to pad any zero, just fill in the real number then that is.

And I did test all IRQ configs and all results are worse than raising the priority of all three of them.

parco
taccess
parco

I agree that these tweaks are slightly better, though mine are IRQ00 + IRQ08 exactly as they are listed under windows.

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
arachnaut
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/03 16:23:04 (permalink)
Timur Born
arachnautI wrote a document about this a long time ago. Currently things are the same for Live, but Sonar has improved.

"The same" in what regard? If Live (still) allocates CPU cores based on track numbers then you get easy control over which addon uses what core on certain tracks. I'd examine it myself again, but I just killed my AIO in another test and currently have no fully running Windows installation/PC available and lack time to set it up quickly.

Task-Manager does not save affinity and priority over an application restart, it's always only just for currently running processes. That's what Process Lasso offers (among other things), to set an affinity mask that sticks with every start of an application.

Live still seems to add the next added Reaktor to the same physical core. I don't use Live any more so I did no further testing. That is, one test only or maybe two, but not many.

I've figured out that CPU affinity is not remembered when you use Task Manager.

I'm trying to find a solution for the general user community - PC and Mac - not dependent on external software and not too complicated.

So far, turning off hyperthreading is the easiest answer, that gives enough performance boost for Reaktor, but testing other general audio projects do worse. For example, one of my tests load 20 different Maschine 2 projects - that works a lot worse with HT off.

I'm fascinated that one can alter the CPU affinity on the fly and I see the process move from core to core. So the affinity must be saved in the instruction caches or something like that.

I'm studying the Intel docs now on the cache management to see how this actually works.

- Jim Hurley -
Timur Born
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/03 16:59:58 (permalink)
Affinity is not controlled by the CPU, but by the OS. Core Parking (and C-states?) are not controlled by the CPU, but by the OS. Up to Skylake's Speedstep P-states were not controlled by the CPU, but by the OS.

Try this: Open a command prompt (CMD) and type "start /?". Learn the synthax and write a simple batch file to start your DAW with whatever affinity (and priority) you like.
post edited by Timur Born - 2017/07/03 17:31:09
arachnaut
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/04 06:01:22 (permalink)
Timur Born
Affinity is not controlled by the CPU, but by the OS. Core Parking (and C-states?) are not controlled by the CPU, but by the OS. Up to Skylake's Speedstep P-states were not controlled by the CPU, but by the OS.

Try this: Open a command prompt (CMD) and type "start /?". Learn the synthax and write a simple batch file to start your DAW with whatever affinity (and priority) you like.

This is what I have been doing:

start "1" /high /affinity 0x1 "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Reaktor 5\Reaktor5.exe"
start "2" /high /affinity 0x4 "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Reaktor 5\Reaktor5.exe"
start "3" /high /affinity 0x10 "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Reaktor 5\Reaktor5.exe"
start "4" /high /affinity 0x40 "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Reaktor 5\Reaktor5.exe"

- Jim Hurley -
arachnaut
Re: Sonar Optimize Win 10 : MMCSS 2017/07/04 06:03:09 (permalink)
taccess

It sounds to me like the things you have tried should have done the job if it was going to, unless of course there is that one setting you may have missed . Sometimes I go looking for a different perspective and I would suggest ( and I mean this in a friendly manner ) trying another forum, I do and I try to find specific related forums when needed, not because the advice here is incorrect but you might get that one piece of advice no ones pointed out yet.
Example :https://software.intel.co...onitoring/topic/392519

This place has some hard core hyperthreading mad men and although hyperthreading may not be what you need it may be that someone may point out something that connects those elusive dots.
Remember also even if you have tried in a few other forums that still no reason not to try again somewhere else, the biggest mistake we make is feeling exhausted and confused and settling in on the unresolved. Go harder !
I am sure I will head over there about NUMA, soon to.

All I am saying is stay here and go try there too.

I missed this good advice you posted earlier.
I'll go there and say farewell here.
Thanks.

- Jim Hurley -
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1