Helpful ReplySonar Platinum - Being retired soon ???

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/10 12:22:57 (permalink)
Thanks Chuck, S Plat 2015 was never as reliable as X3e, and oh yeah I'm still making music and making it seriously and rock solid reliably with X3e with a reported ROUNDTRIP  3.7 msec latency @  24/96k/Hz and 7.4 msec latency @ 24/48.
 Same holds true with Platinum 2015, 'cept the hang time when I hit stop just rapes my buzz and totally trashes my "Comping" workflow. Win 10 Pro 1607 doesn't hang, 2015 stops responding for a while.. Other than that it's running OK, but X3 runs GREAT!

I too have an Intel i7 machine that of course runs great, just not as great as my AMD FX machine when it come to large track count with too many plugins running.
 And I'm talking too many plugins, not that that should have anything to do with this conversation, SONAR should be running equally as well on both shouldn't it?
 OH!!! AND THE GOOD NEWS IS................... Mac alpha version is running... YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.........

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/10 13:21:09 (permalink)
Steev
Everything else works great on my AMD machine, and ya know what? Rapture Pro works great in X3ePE in plugin mode so all is well.
 I've been using Cakewalk since the days of Pro Audio and happily upgraded ever since and LOVED every second of it and even bragged about it and always will.
 But if they can't support what's wrong with Platinum 2015 I WILL NOT UPGRADE TO 2016!

Two comments (and believe me, I'm not trying to irritate you):

1) If you do not upgrade and Microsoft continues to modify Win10 with updates, just how is it you are sure that it's SPlat 2015, that is to blame for your issues? Given your past experience with Cakewalk, does that really follow?

2) I had an AMD machine once (1.44 gHz) and I built my own computers for music (I'm guessing by "custom" you mean that you built it personally). Now, ADK has built three machines for me (all around Intel chipsets) and will in all likelihood build my next one. I changed for two reasons: first, there were the occasional complaints (like yours) about issues with music-specific problems that made me wary. Second, not being a professional computer tech, I realized that there were issues coming down the pike that were likely going to take me many hours to research and trouble-shoot (if necessary) that were better handled by those devoted to that specific job. And if I farmed out my build to a reputable company, any of the far less likely problems that could occur were, by definition, their problems to fix. Blessedly, there really haven't been any music-related problems, even since Win10. ADK has been wonderful to deal with, BTW.

What I'm suggesting is that if you have built your own machines, you do have possibly a bit of responsibility that the rest of us largely do not have a share in (at least, if you have no formal training in that field).

This is all offered in the spirit of FWIW and IMHO. I am certainly not trying to give you any agita.

post edited by outland144k - 2016/08/10 14:23:44

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/10 13:30:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/05/16 18:08:32
At any rate.... the sooner you buy into Lifetime Updates, the longer you will enjoy them!

Case closed!
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/10 15:21:48 (permalink)
I wonder how Microsoft will make money on Windows once the whole world owns it?

One theory is this, "Please watch this ad from our sponsors before you empty your recycle bin, please watch this short ad while you wait for your email to open and sync. etc...

Start brushing up on your Linux. Any plans for a Platinum for Linux?  lol
Dyonisos
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 191
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/10 17:13:39 (permalink)
I still use Cool Edit Pro, from the late 90's, in Windows 10. No problem. The only addons I have from years ago that don't seem to work any more are Pi-warp and BBE Sonic Maximizer and the old original version of Trackplug.

Still trying to decide about going for the lifetime updates.

www.reverbnation.com/dyonisos
outland144k
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/10 17:20:23 (permalink)
Dyonisos
I still use Cool Edit Pro, from the late 90's, in Windows 10. No problem. The only addons I have from years ago that don't seem to work any more are Pi-warp and BBE Sonic Maximizer and the old original version of Trackplug.

Now, that's amazing. Good for you!

That was a good program, too.

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

Steev
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 09:03:34 (permalink)
outland144k
Dyonisos

Now, that's amazing. Good for you!

That was a good program, too.

Strange about the BBE, have you tried reinstalling it? I forgot I even had it, and after reading your post I just pulled it up in Sound Forge and it works fine. That was a God send for remastering cassette tapes to CD back in the day. It was also quite useful for helping turn many a cheap mic into an AKG 414 or Neumann U47.

But anyway, back to these constant rolling update issues, my main decision for not renewing my SONAR subscription late January was life was getting scary for me with both Microsoft and Cakewalk whacking me with updates, new functionality, and fixes every month which makes it quite difficult to point where problems and issues are originating.
 And yes I have already re installed both. Actually Windows update completely reinstalls the OS during OS upgrades, and it does take a while, and you will have to reregister some plugins.
 I’m not so sure about how “complete” the reinstalling Platinum from Command Center went, because it went by extremely fast
 My new Platinum problem may very well be coming from Focusrite’s new Scarlett gen 2 design and redesigned MixControl, and I have made Focusrite support aware of it although it seems doubtful being it’s only hangs up with Platinum 2015 which was NEVER as reliable as X3 and apparently has been completely orphaned from all support, and that I do have a problem with.
 It might be worth mentioning that although the new Scarlett gen 2 is still a USB 2 audio interface, it is capable of achieving the ultra-low latency that’s only been achieved thru Thunderbolt that allows using any existing FX plugin installed on your computer to be used during recording.
 Since installing the brand new 18i20 I have had no Win 10 issues, no issues with Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, Vegas Pro 11, XLN VSTi’s, Waves and iZotope plugins, or SONAR PE X3e. All is as good to better, with the exception of SONAR Platinum 2015 which has always had issues, and NOW HAS ANOTHER ONE!
 Please don’t interpret this rant/post as my being angry, rather look at it leaning towards a humorous intent.
 That’s kinda like how I feel about this odd fascination with running SONAR on a Mac.
 Sure I get the idea of tapping into a new market share, but it’s a relatively small market considering it’s ruled by absolutely fanatical and fantastically loyal and Avid Pro Tools users (yes the pun is intended) and Logic users won’t exactly be prone to jump ship for any “New Kid On the Block” this late in the game on the OSx platform.
 Especially when you consider both Pro Tools and Logic have matured into extremely rock solid performers, that take years of experience to learn how to use and grow with.
 I know quite a few of these users very well and they jump at the chance to throw digs my way as a Cakewalk user, and would never even stoop so low to even consider trying Dimension Pro or Rapture.
 Their words not mine.. I don’t know, I never could wrap my mind around this whole “Brand Loyalty” thing, and I’ll happily stick with X3e until the day I die, just like some of my very avid Pro Tools 7 buddies.
 Why? Because we can depend on them and they work for us! We don’t have to worry about the occasional and unexpected blue screen of “We’re sorry, Windows or Cakewalk has experienced a critical error please wait while we reboot and send a report back to the mothership.”  Happening right in the middle of laying down a vocal track or in the middle of a guitar solo.
 Microsoft has a faily good record of finding and fixing errors thru telemetry. I can’t remember EVER getting a reply or solution back from Cakewalk.
 Can anyone spell FTW???
 Let’s finish cook’in and refining one level, or  project if you will, into a “Stable System” before moving on to the next, shall we, because at this point “subscription plans” may very suspiciously resemble a “Bubble” that very suspiciously resembles ransomware.
 And the fact that this life time of updates plan is such a limited time offer that isn’t offered in a monthly payment plan seems even more suspicious.

OK all that being said, I have had a relatively smooth experience for over a decade with Cakewalk. There has been relatively few versions that started out with glitches and some bumps in the road, but all were straightened out relatively quickly, and ALWAYS well before a new version release, and now there are no new version releases, just a constant rolling and adding of things that Cakewalk wants to add that I may or may not want or ever use getting larger and larger and more bloated with more and more “stuff” that takes more and more away from my time making and creating music by having to try it out, learn how to use it before even deciding if I like it.
 And after all that, 9 times out of 10, I come to realize that I can achieve the same results simply by taking a similar and very FAMILIAR path.

And another path I won’t be going down is the never ending debate about Intel vs AMD. I build and use both and both have become so fast and powerful I truly believe it’s humanly impossible to perceive with is better and more powerful.
 All I can say about that is my pure bred AMD workstation grade builds with the 990FX chipsets and AMD FX series CPU’s, Firepro graphics, have always proved to consistently be more stable and reliable than Intel for machine's built specifically for DCC (digital content creation).
 However, they do not fair as well with i7's in bench tests with stuff like "Grand Theft Auto" so if you're a gamer I believe Intel rules.
 But on the other hand, if you want to run a large rack full of softsynths and lots of FX plugins in your DAW or render complex video projects with lots of video FX an AMD FX 8350 (Vishira) can handle higher track count, and will utterly smoke an i7 (Haswell) for video render times.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 10:14:24 (permalink)
RexRed

One theory is this, "Please watch this ad from our sponsors before you empty your recycle bin, please watch this short ad while you wait for your email to open and sync. etc...

Start brushing up on your Linux. Any plans for a Platinum for Linux?  lol

Look at Google.  Then notice Microsofts browser and default search engine.  The live titles can easily integrate into such a business model as people click on games, websites, etc that then provide ads based on your search history, etc.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 10:56:13 (permalink)
Dyonisos

I still use Cool Edit Pro, from the late 90's, in Windows 10. 

Yep. So do I. 

Adobe has a version of "Audition" that I bought, but I never could get into the UI. I always end up installing CE2K and using it.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 11:16:04 (permalink)
Brian Walton
RexRed

Look at Google.  Then notice Microsofts browser and default search engine.  The live titles can easily integrate into such a business model as people click on games, websites, etc that then provide ads based on your search history, etc.

That, and their subscription model.  If you don't think that's coming, you haven't been paying attention to the market.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Steev
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 11:48:54 (permalink)
Microsoft will keep making the bulk of their money on developing and upgrading new software, licensing for new computers, and cloud services. You can shut down Cortana, default to any search engine of your choosing, and block all popup adds from Edge and IE11 web browsers, but being they do a good job at researching products, prices, and vendors for you, you might be cutting yourself short by doing so.

Also I'm pretty sure there is already is and has been  a way(s) developed to run any Windows based program/app including SONAR on a Linux system.
 You can easily find out how to do it with a Google search, and or perhaps Bing, but be forewarned they both will be making money by listing links from companies who want to sell you stuff.
 I'm perfectly OK with that, and a huge fan of Google and Gmail services. Come on, the wrote the book on how to make money by giving stuff away for free. ;-)

And I'm perfectly OK with continuing to support the software vendors who give me fair and honest support.
 It was only a few months ago when Cakewalk changed their minds about a $100 upgrade offer I was planning to take advantage of and lopped off and entire month. Oops, somebody made a mistake that glitched out my monthly budget that I couldn't correct in time.
 I had an extra couple of hundred Franklin's to invest, and thinking I had an extra month to get the  subscription deal, I jumped on a $50 off of an Audio Technica AT4040 deal, and I'll tell you what, that is one KILLA ARSE MIC! I absolutely recommend it.
 And than the very next month when I was considering doing the $150 subscription anyway, up pops a Google add in my browser for an Audio Technica AT2020 with a free boom stand, cable, and shipping, and I couldn't resist.
 OK so it's not as bodacious as the AT4040, but at 1/3 the price I wasn't expecting it to be, but it's nice, REALLY, REALLY NICE placed in front of guitar cabs for a $100 that also matches up well with my all purpose Rode NT1a.
 The AT4040 is all purpose as well, but really excels at vocals. Kinda like an AKG 414 does.

So looking back in retrospect Karma was on my side especially being I would have gotten kinda pissed off when Cakewalk offered the new and improved $200 life time of, umm, I'm not really sure, ahh, maybe stuff they should have done before my subscription expired in the first place? :-p

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 12:21:15 (permalink)
The Grim
John

Is there a promise that CW has made that one can point to as precedent? On what grounds is this assertion made?   

[playing the devils advocate] if you cared to take the time to look you could find untruths, perhaps not a broken promises as such, but certainly back flips to stated things, for example there will be no mac version for sonar to name one, and what do we have now? we all know that has been stated many times over the years, i am just stating a fact. if you are going to pretend to be squeaky clean, you best be squeaky clean. i know this will be roasted, turn inside out and flipped on it's head by the fanatics, but it is the truth none the less.

i am just pointing it out in relation to the apparent belief that there is no guile to be found in this company. companies are all the same, at the end of the day it is all about what is best for them, their survival first and foremost, everything else is secondary, anyone who tells you different is either deluded or flat out lying.

anyway, the news has broken, didn't really excite me much, very thankful for the $99 lifetime deal, the latest version seems fairly good, however not near enough to drag me from my daw of choice. now as a lifetime member i can check back every now and then until sonar ceases to exist in its present form and see how things are going at no extra cost to me, i wasn't going to renew my subscription next year, but this was to good to pass up, you never know what the future brings, i am not tied either emotionally or any other way to a particular daw or company as many others here seem to be, i will go with what i see as the best at the time, the best for me, and that is not sonar at this time on either count, perhaps down the road aways it may have those things i desire, or perhaps it may be another daw all together, but for now i am more than happy where i am

Your example is ridiculous. So they say for years no mac version then after many years AND RESEARCH they find they can do it and it's feasible. You find that a flip flop? I call it progress....Jeezzz 

Steev
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 12:41:27 (permalink)
Yeah that example is kind of ridiculous, and it lost me at the spending a $99 for something you're not ever going to use just because you thought it was a good deal (????)
Since I've been using Cakewalk it's been owned by 12 Tones Inc, Roland Corp, and now Gibson Brands, so at this point what ever Gibson says is POLICY and that shall be that. Nobody ever offered me a $99 "lifetime" subscription upgrade.
 Oh bother, may hap I should be changing my profile pic to one featuring me playing the SG? LoL, maybe even update my signature[build] below too.
 Ah but hey, I like that pic with SONAR PE 8.5 as the backdrop and although I really like the SG, I Freak'in LOVE my pure stock year Fender Stratocaster. The only things ever replaced on it were strings and pickup selector switch, and only things added were a couple of dings which actually hurt me more than the Strat. :o( 
 Seriously though, I'm not here to trash mouth or trade war stories, and SONAR is in fact my favorite weapon of choice, and I learned a long time ago that I don't need to keep up with the Jones for the latest and greatest versions and hyper active sales hype and bragging rights.

I was kinda hoping for another SPlat user who might have had this hang time problem and could suggest a solution that doesn't involve gutting my Platinum install to the point of trashing a perfectly good X3e install.

post edited by Steev - 2016/08/11 13:42:29

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

gothic.angel
  • Total Posts : 572
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 13:13:18 (permalink)
John
This has to be the most cynical notion yet posted on these forums. 

In order to have such a view the OP must be able to point to things Cakewalk have done to provoke this conclusion. 

Is there a promise that CW has made that one can point to as precedent? On what grounds is this assertion made?   

...+1.....

In my view, this is one of the most pointless and silliest threads of all times.... 
Cakewalk have radically changed SONAR selling model, and SONAR Platinum is not SONAR version X4,
which won't be followed by SONAR X5, and so on.....

Plus,  the lifetime offer is only available until the end of August limited to people buying or renewing Platinum....

Thus the OP's comparisons are pointless speculations.............
...assertions based on nothing........... useless thread.............
post edited by gothic.angel - 2016/08/11 14:10:41

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

Steev
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 13:50:27 (permalink)
Umm, yeah, hardly pointless and ACTUALLY take away the sales hype and rebranding SONAR into a subscription plan than Platinum is in fact, nothing more than X4.

It is also a fact that when opening a project in X3 that was saved in Platinum, a pop up warning appears identifying the project as being made in SONAR X4.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 14:39:46 (permalink)
Steev
Umm, yeah, hardly pointless and ACTUALLY take away the sales hype and rebranding SONAR into a subscription plan than Platinum is in fact, nothing more than X4.

It is also a fact that when opening a project in X3 that was saved in Platinum, a pop up warning appears identifying the project as being made in SONAR X4.

It may be nothing more than X4 to you, but to me, all the enhancements since X3e are simply awesome.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 14:56:39 (permalink)
dcumpian
Steev

It may be nothing more than X4 to you, but to me, all the enhancements since X3e are simply awesome.

Dan

same here, im not sure I could go back to using X3.
there's just been so many improvements (and features) in platinum right now that my work flow is honestly, at minimum 3X times easier.

Get that ? =
X3...3X easier in platinum

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

outland144k
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 16:07:14 (permalink)
chuckebaby
dcumpian
Steev

Dan

same here, im not sure I could go back to using X3.
there's just been so many improvements (and features) in platinum right now that my work flow is honestly, at minimum 3X times easier.

Get that ? =
X3...3X easier in platinum

Ditto here. Platinum is pretty scary. In a really good way. 

gothic.angel
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 17:36:13 (permalink)

@Steev

..nope, me dear mate.....

Sonar Platinum ain't no way "Sonar X4".....
Sure, it's X3's inheritor, yet it's just SONAR in its NEW major version....
No number version, and whatever its full name may be from now on, it shall be JUST Sonar,
with lifetime updates ONLY for those entitled.....

Conditions have been CLEARLY stated by Cakewalk. period.

Image-Line has been doing this with FL Studio (which I own..) even for EVERY user for ages now....

Actually, a thread like "Sonar Platinum - being retired soon ???" is pure crap,
a waste of words and time, based upon a huge NOTHING........

Best regards.
post edited by gothic.angel - 2016/08/11 18:12:00

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 17:59:47 (permalink)
The Grim

[playing the devils advocate] if you cared to take the time to look you could find untruths, perhaps not a broken promises as such, but certainly back flips to stated things, for example there will be no mac version for sonar to name one, and what do we have now? we all know that has been stated many times over the years, i am just stating a fact. if you are going to pretend to be squeaky clean, you best be squeaky clean. i know this will be roasted, turn inside out and flipped on it's head by the fanatics, but it is the truth none the less.

I guess you missed this statement that Cakewalk made in 2006:

"There will be a Mac version 10 years from now, because we have 100% accurate psychic abilities, and can see clearly into a future time when new technology we can't envision will exist and make a Mac port feasible! (And by the way, you might want to buy some Apple stock. Just sayin.')"

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
outland144k
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/11 18:31:43 (permalink)
Anderton

This link is precious. It should be good for some much needed levity. 

It should be noted that there seems to a four year cycle to this ebb and flow of credulity and naivete. And it seems that for some inexplicable reason, we are in the fourth year of the cycle right now!

I don't know. I'm just sayin' that someone should investigate this. Okay?

post edited by outland144k - 2016/08/12 00:28:20

Steev
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/12 10:55:15 (permalink)
Anderton
The Grim

"There will be a Mac version 10 years from now, because we have 100% accurate psychic abilities, and can see clearly into a future time when new technology we can't envision will exist and make a Mac port feasible! (And by the way, you might want to buy some Apple stock. Just sayin.')"

What a great link and fun place to visit.. It's amazing the things some people believe, simply because it's easier to accept than actually take the trouble to think for themselves.
 So I guess it's true... "TV has made us into what we are today". and our culture(s) are molded out of concentrated oxymoron labeled "Reality TV", and seasoned to taste with opinions distributed randomly over the Internet where we can pick and choose what to believe in and form our own reality that suits us and ignore the rest.

And now I would like to take pause and offer one of the best bits of Rock & Roll Wisdom that come to mind from the mind of a rather young and idealistic loud mouth “Gatdamn Hippy” artist who hails by the name of Stephen Stills that has stuck with me for decades which goes something like this; " The power lines been drawn- nobody's right if everybody's wrong.”
 SO, umm, what in the name of Zeus’s  BUTTHOLE is a Buffalo Springfield, and why should we even believe in such “Gatdamn Hippy”  nonsense NOW when the powers that be refused to take heed in 1966?
 Well I donno, but I still can’t shake the feel’in that the answer lies deeply buried and hidden well with plain sight in there somewhere.
@ Gothic.Angle you can’t say po-tay-toes, and I can say and I can say X4!
That still does no essplain why whilst working in SONAR Platinum 2015, my new Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2 delivers a very deliciously exciting and ultimately inspiring reports of
Effective Latency at 96k/Hz;  0.7mssec, Input latency; 1.9 mssec, Output latency; 1.9 mssec, and completing the signal flow with a round trip latency of 3.9 mssec.
 For those who are too stuck on the politics of labeling stuff and don’t quite understand what those numbers mean, let’s just say it’s a specification of FAST + FAST+ FAST = FAST!
 I would also like to add that SONAR Platinum 2015 typically (baring any and all occasional unexpected buggyness) runs along very smoothly during this process capturing every note until I hit “Stop” and then it “stops responding” for 10 to 20 seconds. The cursor hangs up on the timeline, VU meters freeze in position.
 It will in fact start responding after a short wait that may feel like an eternity waiting to quick retake of a botched performance.
 And every time that happens, I kinda get upset. I’m sorry, maybe it’s a personality flaw, but when it happens and interrupts my muse, my muse want me to book a flight to Dallas, Texas, rent a car and drive about 80 miles west to Weatherford, and then punch my mother in the mouth for giving me birth.
 But instead I just do all my serious recording in SONAR X3 PE which by the way reports the same latency spec. and doesn’t hang, nor does it have any other weird quirky behavior issues and my Muse really, I mean REALLY loves and appreciates that.
 So to wrap this up in a nutshell, all is actually quite well here at Delirium Studio in the House of Steev.
 I can certainly appreciate Cakewalk’s forward thinking and achievements being made in making SONAR run on Apple computers, but truth be told, I don’t really give a monkey’s dead arse about that.
And at the risk of sounding like Donald Trump, I shall apologize ahead of time, I would like to quote myself; “Here at Delirium Studio in the House of Steev is all boils down ME, ME, ME!”
 And me thinks by comparison at this point SONAR Platinum is a very cool “Video Game” type experience, i.e. a great Toy with things I really love, yet don’t take seriously, simply because I can’t seem to get it to work reliably.
 Maybe on my next brand new computer build I’m planning next year I’ll give it another try, perhaps there is something I’m missing here in my current configuration that prevents it from working right that’s been handed down from so many generations of Cakewalk installs somewhere in my archives that corrupts the X4 a.k.a Platinum builds.
 If it works properly then, I shall consider upgrading. Until then, I’ll happily continue using my “Lifetime” SONAR X3e PE license, because there IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!
Hee, hee, remember the sales hype about X3 when it was released about how great it is?
 Well I’m here it confirm, there is NOTHING added into Platinum that ever made X3 suck, LoL, I still got my ancient Dell laptop that refuses to running Win XP and SONAR 4 PE somewhere around here, and old retired workstation in the family room still being used as a media center running SONAR 8.5 PE powered by an old M-Audio Delta 1010 that can record 8 audio tracks at once all day long or until it runs out of hard drive space.
 And ya know what makes all these versions of SONAR far superior to Platinum?
 They were all my favorite technological “Break Thru” versions and they were all smoothed out and done cook’in well before the end of a year or another version came out.
 And THAT’S what created a steady stream of revenue and solid growth, and  many of all updated annually by CHOICE and loved it.
 And on it went for over a decade, and then a new and improved subscription plan happens which looks almost too good to be true, what with the monthly subscription plan pay as you play scheme and all which only cost $30 more than paying premium upgrade price seems more than fair.
 I might not be able to shell out $150 this soon after Christmas, but I can handle that, and I did. Only problem I had was, for the first time ever of being an avid fan and advocate of SONAR I didn’t get a solid smooth working version of SONAR by the end of the year..
 So I put the brakes on the monthly payment plan, and started conflating it to Ronald Reagan’s “Trickle Down Theory” which kinda looked great in theory, but ahhhhhh…………
 Well let’s just say that was a time before Cakewalk came into my life, but back in those days I had no problem paying cash for a brand new Tascam 8 track, which was soon (traded in for a 16 tracker, later upgraded to a couple DA-88’s) all fed by a really nice Allen & Heath desk, a Lexicon processor, an actual 4’x8’ plate reverb installed in it’s own closet, and my beloved Teletronix LA2A, an AKG 414, D 12, and a handful of Shure SM 57’s and 58’s.
 I still got the mics, but the rest wore and bore down on me in tandem with Ronald Reagan’s “Trickle Down Theory”.
 And for those of you who yern and lust and wax poetically for the days and glory of analog tape recording, It was NEVER what it is being cracked up to be today. It was an enormous amount of work getting out of it what you put into it, an ever exponentially increasing amount of work maintaining it, ongoing and quite expensive never ending supply of reels and reels, and reels, of tape that were cut up and edited with a razor knife.
 And sorry, but every time someone tells me that old vintage recording equipment is better than today’s DAWs and plugins, I can taste vomit in the back of my throat..
 And it’s the same feeling I get when someone  points out our queries are pointless and or insinuates that SONAR Platinum runs flawlessly on a 9 to 10 year old duel-core computer with 4 gigs of RAM, only makes me wonder if SPlat would even install on it..

And while it certainly holds true about Mr. Anderton’s hedge bet on Apple stock should most likely pay off, I would think investing in VPU technology should pay a much more higher yield, because you could say that’s something that’s going to change how they and we think about and use both Apple and Microsoft software and hardware technology.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

gothic.angel
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/19 10:00:17 (permalink)

http://www.cakewalk.com/June-2016#SONAR4Life 

What happens if the product name "SONAR Platinum" were to change to something different?

If you purchased lifetime updates for SONAR Platinum, you will get lifetime updates for SONAR Platinum. If we change the name of SONAR Platinum, you will get lifetime updates to the newly named version. It's as simple as that.

Regards.

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/19 10:46:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2016/08/19 19:20:14
Don't confuse 'em with FACTS Gothic!!

They'll need another layer of tin foil.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
gothic.angel
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/08/19 13:14:10 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
Don't confuse 'em with FACTS Gothic!!

They'll need another layer of tin foil.

....got it mate..... 
...it was just to show this thread was clearly started upon non-existing bases ..............!
see ya soon.........
post edited by gothic.angel - 2016/08/19 13:40:32

mtgbuyer1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2017/05/15 22:41:08 (permalink)
http://www.ericgarland.co/2016/09/27/gibson-rating-moodys/ I am sorry to say, it's all right here for those of you who have the will to look...
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2017/05/15 23:05:16 (permalink)
Interesting read.. You should have started a new thread as this ones outdated and most won't make it to the end because the topic is dated and information has changed a lot since it was started. Being smart I read the first post and skipped to the end. 
In the end on the topic of updates and all that stuff,  if The Cakewalk crew wandered off tomorrow never to be seen again I still have a pretty good DAW that I will use until my computer dies and there's no OS available to run it.
post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/05/16 14:40:11

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2017/05/15 23:39:15 (permalink)
OMG, why would you dig up a dead and buried thread from a year ago, that was a total alarmist reactionary thread even when it was alive.  Now all the folks who like to freak out instead of playing music will start freaking out again.

I definitely agree with Cactus Music, you should have started a new thread.  Some people not seeing the dates of the original posts will spend a half hour going through 6 pages of hysteria.  The Lifetime Update was and is a great deal for those who chose to subscribe.  It was a win/win deal.  Cakewalk is still in business and even if Gibson implodes, I'm sure Cakewalk will continue to thrive with another parent company. 

And like CM said, worse case scenario: If Cakewalk drops off the face of the world tomorrow, I'll still have one of the best DAWs made, that has been one of the least troublesome software I have ever worked with.

Nothing to see here, keep moving and creating music.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2017/05/16 13:51:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/05/16 14:55:49
mtgbuyer1
http://www.ericgarland.co.../gibson-rating-moodys/ I am sorry to say, it's all right here for those of you who have the will to look...

Writer's block, huh? Well, I'm sure the muse will strike soon and you can go back to making music instead of.....whatever the point of this was.

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2017/05/16 14:37:55 (permalink)
mtgbuyer1
http://www.ericgarland.co.../gibson-rating-moodys/ I am sorry to say, it's all right here for those of you who have the will to look...

...and are still living in September, 2016 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1