Helpful ReplySonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on renewal

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 11:25:57 (permalink)
Hi...

Just to let you know I have just told a set of triangle samples to Cakewalk for $750,000.00.
Sorry about that 

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 11:41:18 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Hi...

Just to let you know I have just told a set of triangle samples to Cakewalk for $750,000.00.
Sorry about that 

And that will be included in the next release - free of charge.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 11:52:54 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
RD9
I must agree with the original premise that the add-ins shouldn't be the main reason for upgrade $$.  Many users are asking for better functionality of the core program (Sonar); in my case, I would like to see improvements in Midi editing.

In terms of AD, it is actually my go-to drum processor with Sonar and has been for a long time.  However, I purchased AD1 long before it was included in Sonar and upgraded to AD2 well before this version was included in the latest Sonar.  I find it works well with my Roland kit and is easy to program but would defer to other, more expert users wrt to the quality of the sounds.

Regarding Midi editing, I have been in the game since the Commodore 64 and Atari ST were around.  Since then I have used a couple of very good midi editors in Windows that, unfortunately, are no longer supported.   My perception is that some of these had much better editing functionality.  That said, I think Sonar is a great product!

R

We've made improvements to the MIDI engine, PRV and general MIDI workflow (like the Pattern Tool). Also, how much do you think vocal alignment or drum replacement tools would cost? You can check out competitive products and see what they are going for (and they aren't integrated directly into your DAW like they are in SONAR). Also Mix Recall is a pretty cool feature that really improves core program. So you start adding this all up and the price doesn't seem too bad. 

Unrelated to your post but a general observation: I think software is often devalued. People don't realize that it takes a lot of time and investment to develop software. For example, LA-2A emulation softwares often give you similar results with sometimes even more flexibility for a fraction of the price. Yet people scoff at paying $99 for a product that has a hardware equivalent of thousands of dollars. Same with DAW software. How much is studio time these days anyway? You can buy a DAW for the price of a few hours of studio time and get very similar tools that studios pay thousands and thousands of dollars in investment. It seems everyone expects apps to be $0.99 or free or whatever. But the reality is these products take time to develop and test. Again, what would a good vocal alignment or drum replacement plugin cost? Console emulation? A good EQ? Quality synths? Addictive Drums 2 is only one part of the price (and a pretty good deal if you ask me). Upgraders pay a fraction of the actual cost to develop. On the plus side of software, there isn't material cost in most cases so you can charge less as it gets absorbed across a larger audience. But the value is still there regardless. 

What? Software ain't free? You don't work for free? Music is free (if you look hard ) so why not music software?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Andrew Rossa
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 11:59:04 (permalink)
AT
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
RD9
I must agree with the original premise that the add-ins shouldn't be the main reason for upgrade $$.  Many users are asking for better functionality of the core program (Sonar); in my case, I would like to see improvements in Midi editing.

In terms of AD, it is actually my go-to drum processor with Sonar and has been for a long time.  However, I purchased AD1 long before it was included in Sonar and upgraded to AD2 well before this version was included in the latest Sonar.  I find it works well with my Roland kit and is easy to program but would defer to other, more expert users wrt to the quality of the sounds.

Regarding Midi editing, I have been in the game since the Commodore 64 and Atari ST were around.  Since then I have used a couple of very good midi editors in Windows that, unfortunately, are no longer supported.   My perception is that some of these had much better editing functionality.  That said, I think Sonar is a great product!

R

We've made improvements to the MIDI engine, PRV and general MIDI workflow (like the Pattern Tool). Also, how much do you think vocal alignment or drum replacement tools would cost? You can check out competitive products and see what they are going for (and they aren't integrated directly into your DAW like they are in SONAR). Also Mix Recall is a pretty cool feature that really improves core program. So you start adding this all up and the price doesn't seem too bad. 

Unrelated to your post but a general observation: I think software is often devalued. People don't realize that it takes a lot of time and investment to develop software. For example, LA-2A emulation softwares often give you similar results with sometimes even more flexibility for a fraction of the price. Yet people scoff at paying $99 for a product that has a hardware equivalent of thousands of dollars. Same with DAW software. How much is studio time these days anyway? You can buy a DAW for the price of a few hours of studio time and get very similar tools that studios pay thousands and thousands of dollars in investment. It seems everyone expects apps to be $0.99 or free or whatever. But the reality is these products take time to develop and test. Again, what would a good vocal alignment or drum replacement plugin cost? Console emulation? A good EQ? Quality synths? Addictive Drums 2 is only one part of the price (and a pretty good deal if you ask me). Upgraders pay a fraction of the actual cost to develop. On the plus side of software, there isn't material cost in most cases so you can charge less as it gets absorbed across a larger audience. But the value is still there regardless. 

What? Software ain't free? You don't work for free? Music is free (if you look hard ) so why not music software?

We do work for free but someone around here keeps buying triangle and cowbell samples for upwards of $500,000 :(
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 12:14:48 (permalink)
We need more cowbell!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 12:52:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/06/12 13:11:24
I'm going to Spain Tues, special offer $300 per cowbell. Buy 20 and I'll throw in the cow as well.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 13:24:46 (permalink)
CW has always bundled third party products with Sonar. The very first Sonar, Sonar XL had them. For new users buying their first DAW Sonar is and always has been a great value. Part of this is the added third party products that comes with it. Out of the box a new user has everything they need to record and mix and then create a CD. No other software is needed.

For old users some of it is redundant but still useful. We tend to forget that as up-graders we are not missing anything yet the product as a whole is aimed toward the new user. Each release is a new product that wants to entice new users. What CW does is keep our price down even though we get everything the new user gets. Often we don't need some of that stuff. Its not as useful to use as it is to the new user. But imagine if CW stopped giving us the up-grader less than the new user was getting, what would be the reaction? 

Sometimes reading this forum it seems as if people try to find something to gripe about. Getting extra stuff from a developer when up-grading should not be cause to find fault. Since when is getting more than you pay for a bad thing?

Best
John
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 13:57:02 (permalink)
Fascinating thread! I only read the first and last pages, plus a couple in the middle, but I honestly believed the original post was basically just a plug for BFD disguised as a complaint. Then people took it seriously and we got 8 pages. :)

I bought into the Superior Drummer ecosystem some years ago, and so I am sometimes amused when I see the array of drum VSTis I have available now: Superior Drummer 2, Superior Drummer 1, Session Drummer 3, Addictive Drums 2, Stormdrum 2, Studio Drummer (from Komplete) and Battery (also from Komplete). Beyond that there are extra samples from the Drum Replacer, plus probably a few kits buried in Dimension Pro, old-school 808 and 909 samples in one of the various bundled VSTis, etc. And to think that 15 years ago I had to scavenge a handful of samples from downloads and magazine cover CDs just to get anything sounding remotely drum-like. :)

So, yeah, I don't need all these bundled drums. Maybe some even get in the way, given how bloated my plugin menu is. But I seriously doubt Cakewalk have to invest much time, effort, or money in pushing these plugins with Sonar. The plugin manufacturers make their money primarily from upgrades and selling add-on packs, so it's unlikely much, if any, of the Sonar price goes towards paying for such a plugin. It could even be the other way around, with XLN Audio basically paying to get their product in front of Sonar customers. (Hard to know, without being aware of the relative market share of each DAW and drum synth.)

It's perfectly fair for people to say "the thing Cakewalk are adding... is something I don't need". That's a data point that can be taken into account. But I don't think the price has changed because of this, nor has any other feature suffered.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 14:39:15 (permalink)
I have never had an issue with the Alacrity that Cakewalk has fixed bugs.. X3 received the same exact "boatload of bug fixes on an accelerated schedule", as it went from a to e in rapid time, and i have always found the bakers personally to be very interested in a robust product, and have worked with some in detail offline in pursuit of a resolution, so i do not think speed of bug fixes is a valid counterpoint.

Contrary to your view, there is a HUGE amount preventing a user from waiting until the 12 months is up and installing the last version.. say this coincides with the introduction of the *easy* button then any and all associated bugs introduced (of course not on purpose Andrew !!!) with the easy button they get to keep, never fixed..... so in this case a user would have made a financial commitment to CW and not been left with a robust release....If you want an example then simply consider a user who theoretically timed out 2 days after Everett was released... 

None of this is in any way a slight on the talents or intent of the bakers, and it is pretty obvious that the development & test methodology has improved substantially at CW over the last couple of years, however, while moving to a concept of more regular feature enhancements is a noble idea, I simply have a philosophical problem with combining updates (robustness, performance & bug fixes) with upgrades (new features) on such a regular basis, and personally believe that restricting upgrades to say once a quarter, with the two intervening months being maintenance update releases would be more beneficial to the user base as it would highlight 4 releases in a 12 month term of high confidence & quality status ie an upgrade release plus 2 maintenance updates.

azlow3 captures it well in the post above

Anderton
Mystic38
At the end of the day, I have absolutely zero interest in a subscription model that drip feeds new features and new bugs along with old bug fixes. This has the byproduct of forcing multiples ongoing updates and reduces both confidence and stability in my studio system.

But you're overlooking that you've also been given a boatload of fixes, on an accelerated schedule. Overall, this has improved core stability. The relatively small (and limited number of) issues that have been introduced during an update have been fixed in the next update. For example, when the virtual controller was introduced, there were some tweaks in the next release. However, any issues in the virtual controller didn't affect the rest of the program. 

There will always be bugs introduced with a software update. How Cakewalk is addressing it is one option. The other option is to have all the bugs introduced once a year, then sort them out over several months. I prefer having multiple, regular bug fixes along with some new functionality, with any bugs that result sorted out in a month or less.

However nothing prevents you from waiting a year, installing the complete update, and benefiting from the fact that most of the bugs would have already been dealt with over the previous year instead of having them all introduced at once. So even if you wait, it's a better system because most bugs will have already been fixed shortly after they were first discovered.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
Andrew Rossa
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 16:34:31 (permalink)
Mystic38
I have never had an issue with the Alacrity that Cakewalk has fixed bugs.. X3 received the same exact "boatload of bug fixes on an accelerated schedule", as it went from a to e in rapid time, and i have always found the bakers personally to be very interested in a robust product, and have worked with some in detail offline in pursuit of a resolution, so i do not think speed of bug fixes is a valid counterpoint.

Contrary to your view, there is a HUGE amount preventing a user from waiting until the 12 months is up and installing the last version.. say this coincides with the introduction of the *easy* button then any and all associated bugs introduced (of course not on purpose Andrew !!!) with the easy button they get to keep, never fixed..... so in this case a user would have made a financial commitment to CW and not been left with a robust release....If you want an example then simply consider a user who theoretically timed out 2 days after Everett was released... 

None of this is in any way a slight on the talents or intent of the bakers, and it is pretty obvious that the development & test methodology has improved substantially at CW over the last couple of years, however, while moving to a concept of more regular feature enhancements is a noble idea, I simply have a philosophical problem with combining updates (robustness, performance & bug fixes) with upgrades (new features) on such a regular basis, and personally believe that restricting upgrades to say once a quarter, with the two intervening months being maintenance update releases would be more beneficial to the user base as it would highlight 4 releases in a 12 month term of high confidence & quality status ie an upgrade release plus 2 maintenance updates.

Anderton
Mystic38
At the end of the day, I have absolutely zero interest in a subscription model that drip feeds new features and new bugs along with old bug fixes. This has the byproduct of forcing multiples ongoing updates and reduces both confidence and stability in my studio system.

But you're overlooking that you've also been given a boatload of fixes, on an accelerated schedule. Overall, this has improved core stability. The relatively small (and limited number of) issues that have been introduced during an update have been fixed in the next update. For example, when the virtual controller was introduced, there were some tweaks in the next release. However, any issues in the virtual controller didn't affect the rest of the program. 

There will always be bugs introduced with a software update. How Cakewalk is addressing it is one option. The other option is to have all the bugs introduced once a year, then sort them out over several months. I prefer having multiple, regular bug fixes along with some new functionality, with any bugs that result sorted out in a month or less.

However nothing prevents you from waiting a year, installing the complete update, and benefiting from the fact that most of the bugs would have already been dealt with over the previous year instead of having them all introduced at once. So even if you wait, it's a better system because most bugs will have already been fixed shortly after they were first discovered.

I think sometimes commonsense needs to dictate policy. So if, in your example, we introduced a major new feature, and it needed some fixes and users had past the 12 months, we would do right by the customer. Don't forget, in this model, we need to make sure users are happier than ever. Bad press like that wouldn't be a good business decision. Nothing in that black and white with us anyway. I think we do a pretty decent job of listening to customers and interacting with them. And let me tell you, the #1 user request we always get is to continue to improve the core program. And that's definitely a big part of the focus here with the monthly releases. 

Anyway, we'd definitely evaluate it on a case-by-case basis. And you know our hope, and how this new model works best, is that customers will continue to be happy and upgrade regularly. It's on us on deliver value so you stick with us. That's good business as well. 
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 17:06:05 (permalink)
Anderton
Mesh

Craig, reading your comments on loops (which I haven't used in quite some time) has got me interested in them. Are these loops available in the current Platinum version (what you've described above (which Brian approved))?  

(During the installation, I only recall seeing the Loopmaster and other loop based stuff that was included in X3).

They were made specifically for the membership program, are not available anywhere else, and will be included with an upcoming update. However, eventually the loops may be available for sale to non-members. As amazing as it might seem, not everyone uses SONAR but they still need good loops 

Craig, have these loops come out yet for Members?

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 17:14:04 (permalink)
Pretty sure that's a no Michael. Craig does state
They were made specifically for the membership program, .....and will be included with an upcoming update

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
michaelhanson
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 17:22:49 (permalink)
Understood, but I believe he mentioned this back in February and I have been to busy working to actually keep up with page after page of off topic comments. I thought I would just cut to the chase.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Geo524
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 17:31:30 (permalink)
ADD2 was not a deal closer for me either. I prefer Superior Drummer and even EZdrummer 2. I'm not all that thrilled with the samples in ADD2, but I do think Sonar Platinum (even without ADD2) was well worth the price. I too would like to see Cakewalk focus more on the mastering side of things. I keep thinking a mastering suite like (or similar) to Studio One would be the Bees-Knees.

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
Music and SFX 
http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 23:01:54 (permalink)
Please... no more stupid posts like this...   

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/12 23:26:01 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Mystic38

Anderton
Mystic38

I think sometimes commonsense needs to dictate policy. So if, in your example, we introduced a major new feature, and it needed some fixes and users had past the 12 months, we would do right by the customer. Don't forget, in this model, we need to make sure users are happier than ever. Bad press like that wouldn't be a good business decision. Nothing in that black and white with us anyway. I think we do a pretty decent job of listening to customers and interacting with them. And let me tell you, the #1 user request we always get is to continue to improve the core program. And that's definitely a big part of the focus here with the monthly releases. 

Anyway, we'd definitely evaluate it on a case-by-case basis. And you know our hope, and how this new model works best, is that customers will continue to be happy and upgrade regularly. It's on us on deliver value so you stick with us. That's good business as well. 

I know this policy to be a fact. That is, when out of the ordinary events occur, Cakewalk looks after you. I had a snafu earlier when Sonar went into Demo mode at the worst possible time. First it was fixed quickly and second, as a token of good faith, Cakewalk extended my licence time by several months. Now I didn't ask for any compensation but obviously someone at Cakewalk thought so.
Now I know some will say "and so they should" but the reality is that nothing is set in stone regarding those situations; they don't have to. I've mentioned Cakewalk this and Cakewalk that, but in reality it's people like. Andrew, Willy, Dan et al that interact with us and are the company. Thanks Cakewalk.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/13 00:33:33 (permalink)
Much of this insanity is the direct result of the CW managers introducing the monthly payment plan at the same time as introducing the "membership" program.

(I still do not know what the membership program is. It seems it is twelve months of support whether I pay in advance or monthly? So, what is the point of calling it a "membership?")

The monthly payment plan is not correlated with monthly updates. It is just coincidental.

It is clear it is NOT a SOFTWARE subscription.  Emphasis on SOFTWARE.

Paying in advance for a product or service that is delivered over a set period of time IS a subscription as defined by every dictionary on the planet. And now it is clear that we can purchase a twelve month traditional subscription by paying the total in advance OR accepting the offer to make monthly payments.

This means making monthly payments is just a PAYMENT PLAN.

You don't pay, you get evicted. You got what you paid for. How is that not easy to comprehend?

You don't want to pay monthly, pay for the year at the discounted rate, and Bob's yer uncle.

As to the OP, it essentially costs CW nothing to include CW owned products, other than storage and download service. The products are already paid for. And, I assume, many of the 3rd party add-ins are pretty much free to CW, and us users, because the 3rd parties want to build market share.

Yet, I would like to see the CCC provide more division of stuff. So I do not have to get what I already got from being a CW user since CW9. IE: download DP updates without the samples.

Time for more beer.

============
Bugs, comments & suggestions:
We expect this application to not always perform as described. This is by design. Our software code is free of mistakes and errors. Yet it does contain undefined behaviors, and undocumented results.
Enjoy the process of discovery.
Please inform us of any unique functions you encounter that we may include them in the list of known features.

djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/13 10:37:53 (permalink)
I been Happy with CW own Session drummer , I'ed be more happier if CW had just upgraded session drummer, But Im in the same boat, I have several drum options , and to me, it depends on the samples and what dynamics you add.  Countless hits were made for so many years with just samples and players that trigger them. Its what you do to it, to make it work for your track.  
 AD2 Imo had to be a major factor for the platinum upgrade. honestly there really was no need for another drum module but we got another one. I hate the fact Session drummer is at its EOL. Its a lot easer to look at then AD , less convoluted. better on your cpu, and made by our own bakers. 

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
 http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
 http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

kitekrazy1
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/13 11:16:01 (permalink)
 OP's title made no sense.  Some DAW developers like to market to new users first.  It's $500 vs. $199. See what Propellar Heads is doing to get new users.  

I also think some people when upgrading products just want the basic app.  It's annoying upgrading a new release of Kontakt they still ship you the same sample set when all you really need is the app.

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/14 01:25:26 (permalink)
michaelhanson
Anderton
Mesh

Craig, reading your comments on loops (which I haven't used in quite some time) has got me interested in them. Are these loops available in the current Platinum version (what you've described above (which Brian approved))?  

(During the installation, I only recall seeing the Loopmaster and other loop based stuff that was included in X3).

They were made specifically for the membership program, are not available anywhere else, and will be included with an upcoming update. However, eventually the loops may be available for sale to non-members. As amazing as it might seem, not everyone uses SONAR but they still need good loops 

Craig, have these loops come out yet for Members?

Not yet. I have two loop libraries that are done. As soon as Cakewalk gives me a heads-up on when they want to use them, I will do the final QA so they can be released.

I used one of the new loops in my seminar on dynamics at GearFest. People liked the loop 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/14 22:52:10 (permalink)
Nobody took up my cowbell offer. OK 20% off. Just to let you know I will be walking the cows around in circles exactly at 120bpm, mic in the centre.

YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: Sonar Platinum - Please NO MORE Drum packs as the major reason for Price Hike -on rene 2015/06/15 00:02:07 (permalink)
Cowbell is extremely difficult to record.

To capture the true nature, purpose, depth and proper use requires a master player. The tambourine is similar.

The subtleties, the yearning, the innuendoes, that come from a profound understanding of the need for these instruments is woefully lacking in the samples available from most vendors. Articulations? Not a clue!

These instruments, and others, such as the washboard and spoons, have provided significant contributions to the roots, depth and breadth, of Music Americana.

I, for one, am dismayed at the lack of recognition and appreciation for these fundamental sounds and the great players who pioneered them for us all. They have been disrespected, dis-honored, and discarded without second thoughts.

Just thinking of the lonely discoveries, the years of development and refinement, the decades enduring ridicule and derision, makes me feel shame.

The proper responses to "We need more cow bell!" are, "What type of cowbell? Worn by what type of cow? For how long? In what region of our great country? Forged by which of the renowned percussive blacksmiths?"

As always, maintaining the faith

Ray Jay
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1