Helpful ReplySonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/03/15 15:52:39 (permalink)

Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents

SONAR X1 Advanced Workshop - Video Tutorial Bundle

Hello, all. I have (for my own reference purposes) compiled some documents so I can easily navigate the above linked tutorial videos produced by Craig Anderton and thought I would share them here for anyone who owns these videos or are considering purchasing these videos.

First off, to Craig... if you feel this is inappropriate in any way please let me know and I will immediately delete the posts (or you can just nuke the thread... I don't mind). All I have done though is type up exactly at which point in the vids topics appear and given a very vague and general description of what they show. I have my own personal notes that go into more detail on certain procedures you describe for use in my own studio but have withheld those because that would be giving away all the tips in the vids and those are written in my own bizarro and erratic shorthand anyway.

The reason I did this is because a) in Windows Media player these vids do not sort into chapters so it was a pain to access the tuts easily b) there are many sub topics covered that are not described by the titles anyway and c) I figured some folks may have been looking at these vids in the store and passing them over thinking they were outdated due to the fact they focus on X1 which for the most part they are not (outdated that is).

As always I want to point out useful educational material that has helped me personally to my fellow forumites and this series is definitely useful in so many ways. Much of it isn't even Sonar specific. Just some good, solid, common sense production techniques and tricks. I have owned this series since I first bought X1 Production Suite (came free as a promo) a few years ago and have always known it was a goldmine of cool tips even though back then I could not understand hardly any of it. I just reviewed all of them in great detail again and finally understand (almost) all of it and there are many things I can immediately use on current and planned projects.

Anyway... these are great vids that aren't just run of the mill tutorials that just show you how to get around the program. These are mostly production techniques for common (and not so common) real world applications using Sonar X1 (or Sonar in general).

I am going to create two posts following this so people can easily copy them into notepad documents which can then be stored in a folder with the vids if they already own them or decide to purchase them.

The first post will be a straight time navigation sheet with the Chapter and lesson titles with the approximate time code so people can jump straight to the lesson easily no matter what media player they are using.

The second post will be the same timesheet except I've added two sections under each of the lesson titles. The first is Notes which will be a general description of what the lesson contains (without actually explaining HOW to perform the technique... you all will have to buy the vids to see that) and the second is Relevance which describes whether or not the plugins used are still included in the current version of Sonar (Sonar 2015) or whether anything has significantly changed since X1.

Those sections may not be 100% accurate but I tried my best to make sure they were. I hope folks find it useful for navigating these epic and classic vids and encourages those who have been eyeballing them in the store but weren't sure how dated they were to get off their butts and pick them up. They do go on sale from time to time so keep an eye out for that.

I would also say that since they are getting a little old now I'm concerned they may be discontinued at some point in lieu of newer vids. I have no idea if that is the case but if that does happen people would be missing out on some quality tuts.

I will BRB with the Timesheet and descriptions. Edit: Posted. Enjoy.

Cheers.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/03/15 16:33:04
Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 15:53:44 (permalink)
Timesheet

Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton (vid 1)

(Chapter 1) - Better Workflow and Creativity

00:00:00 Introducing Skylight

00:03:30 Creating Screensets

00:06:15 Editing with Smart Tools

00:12:20 Object Oriented Editing

00:14:05 Enter the Matrix

00:21:55 Arpeggiator Meets Percussion

00:25:15 Humanizing the Step Sequencer

(Chapter 2) - Looping and Warping

00:27:15 Slicing Loops For Hi-Fi Stretching

00:32:15 Creating a Looper

00:36:31 Processing Groove Clips

00:39:18 Optimizing Groove Clips

00:43:05 Perfect Pad Looping

00:45:30 Timbre Shifting With Loops

(Chapter 3) - Mixing and Effects

00:47:40 Using FX Chains

00:50:53 Generating Frequency Tracking Automation Envelopes

00:53:40 Virtual Micing for Acoustic Instruments

00:57:07 Using the PX-64 On Bass Tracks

01:00:52 Integrating External Hardware Effects

01:02:56 Using Perfect Space Reverb for Sound Design

01:06:50 Sidechaining for Rhythmic Effects

(Chapter 4) - Prochannel

01:09:24 Parallel Compression

01:11:30 Adding Tube Saturation

01:14:17 Emulating Vintage Phase Shifters

01:16:48 Optimising Amp Simulators

01:22:37 Creating Vintage "Wah" Pedal Effects

(Chapter 5) - Mastering

01:25:08 Mastering Inside Sonar

01:28:18 Track Down EQ Problems with the Analyst

01:31:08 Repairing Clicks

01:33:10 Maximizing Loudness

01:34:22 Assembling An Album

01:39:14 Conclusion - Thanks For Watching

==========================================================

Sonar (X1) Advanced Workshop: The Next Level by Craig Anderton (vid 2)

Chapter 1 - Ambience and Spatial Effects

00:00:00 Better Drums With Virtual Room Mics

00:04:47 The Preverb Effect

00:08:10 Mono to Stereo Spreader (using VC-64)

00:10:45 Ethereal Reverb

00:13:55 Stereo Widening

00:16:56 Neo-Gated Reverb

Chapter 2 - Guitar

00:19:37 Sweetening Amp Sims With Dessing

00:23:56 Sonar's Virtual MIDI Guitar

00:28:06 Virtual Tunings for Guitar

Chapter 3 - Dynamics Enhancements

00:34:15 The Acoustifier

00:38:08 Percussive Compression

00:41:09 Transparent Compression for Mastering

00:44:20 "Pumping" Dance Music Drums

Chapter 4 - Multiband Techniques

00:48:20 Multiband Imaging for Mastering

00:52:44 Multiband Signal Processing

Chapter 5 - Workflow

01:00:57 Speed Up Screensets and Browsing

01:02:15 Prochannel Effects Order

01:08:20 Create Custom LFOs with Automation

01:12:27 Customizing Plugin Skins

01:14:53 MIDI Guitar Editing Tips

Chapter 6 - Vocal Processing

01:17:10 Hard Pitch Corrected Vocals

01:20:18 Enhance Vocal Dynamics with Dynamic Filtering

Chapter 7 - Vintage Effects

01:24:25 Amp Vibrato Emulation

01:28:50 Vintage Tape Flanging

01:32:42 Wah/Anti-Wah Filtering

01:35:33 Psychedelic 60's "Breathing" Drums

01:38:00 Pentagon I Vocoder/Cross-Synthesizer

01:41:30 Extreme Phaser

Chapter 8 - Distortion

01:43:40 Preserve Dynamics with Saturation

01:46:19 Distortion Construction Kit

Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 16:07:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2017/01/14 11:55:25

Timesheet + Beepster Notes

Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton (vid 1)

(Chapter 1) - Better Workflow and Creativity

00:00:00 Introducing Skylight

Notes: General description of the Skylight Interface and how to use it.

Relevance: Some things have changed since X1 but most things in vid still relevant.

00:03:30 Creating Screensets

Notes: General description of Screensets.

Relevance: Screensets are mostly unchanged since X1.

00:06:15 Editing with Smart Tools

Notes: In depth description of Smart Tool Functions in X1.

Relevance: The Smart Tool does many more things now due to new features introduced since X1 but many of the functions described still work in the same way or in a very similar way.

00:12:20 Object Oriented Editing

Notes: Shows an efficient method of applying mix/effect changes to specific areas of audio clips without affecting the rest of the clip.

Relevance: General production technique. Still relevant.

00:14:05 Enter the Matrix

Notes: A beginner/intermediate description and tutorial of how to use the Matrix feature. Shows how to use the Matrix to

create and record a full performance using the Matrix including MIDI controller triggering of Cells And Columns.

Relevance: The Matrix features shown have not changed since X1.

00:21:55 Arpeggiator Meets Percussion

Notes: Shows how to use the on track MIDI arpeggiator functions to creatively alter MIDI drum performances automatically.

Relevance: MIDI track Arpeggiator functions are unchanged since X1. Concepts can be applied to any MIDI track/Instrument for controlled randomization (not just drums).

00:25:15 Humanizing the Step Sequencer

Notes: This is a very good beginner to intermediate tutorial on how the Step Sequencer works. Note Step input is not covered thoroughly but can be easily obtained through other tutorials on CakeTV or through the manual. What this does cover is how to access and use the Step Sequencer control sections to adjust Velocity, Humanize and other useful paramaters on a per "Row/Sound" basis either using the overall control knobs or manually drawing in changes for each Step. It also shows how to convert Step Sequencer clips to standard MIDI Clips (which can then be edited in the Piano Roll View) and converting Standard MIDI clips into Step Sequencer clips.

Relevance: The Step Sequencer has not changed since X1. This is a very useful video for understanding the more complex functions and uses of the Step Sequencer,

(Chapter 2) - Looping and Warping

00:27:15 Slicing Loops For Hi-Fi Stretching

Notes: Shows how to use the Loop Constructor to manually create hi quality Groove Clips from audio files.

Relevance: The Loop Constructor has not changed since X1. This is a very detailed tutorial that covers many Loop Contructor concepts as well as in depth procedures to make sure your Groove Clips will always follow your project tempo without losing sound quality.

00:32:15 Creating a Looper

Notes: Shows how to create an old school audio "Looper" using track/bus routing and the Sonitus Delay plugin. This results in a tweakable perpetual loop/repeat of the original signal.

Relevance: The only plugin used is the Sonitus Delay which is still included. Even if it weren't this is a routing trick using specific delay settings so could probably be emulated with other delay effects. It is rather complex but interesting.

00:36:31 Processing Groove Clips

Notes: Shows how to apply/print effects to Groove Clips from the FX Bin or with Clip FX without wiping out Groove Clip data like user created transient markers.   

Relevance: Not sure if this has been solved since X1. Essentially bouncing effects from the FX bin to a Groove Clip can destroy the transient data associated with the Groove Clip. This will cause problems when stretching the audio. This shows how to avoid the problem.

00:39:18 Optimizing Groove Clips

Notes: Shows how to fix time stretching fidelity problems with Groove Clips. If a Groove Clip exhibits artifacts, loses fidelity or generally sounds odd when drastically slowed down/sped up this procedure will help fix it by adding user transients manually.

Relevance: General production technique. Loop Constructor has not changed since X1.

00:43:05 Perfect Pad Looping

Notes: Shows how to create seamless loops for user generated synth "pad" sounds so they can be converted to Groove Clips, saved and inserted into projects as needed. More specifically it shows a specific workflow to cut and blend the starts and ends of an audio clip so when it is looped/repeated the transition is smooth and natural.

Relevance: General production technique. It seems like it could be used for much more than synth pads. Very useful.

00:45:30 Timbre Shifting With Loops

Notes: Shows a simple method to drastically and creatively alter the sound of audio clips using the Loop Constructor's settings.

Relevance: General production technique and is a good example of how the Loop Constructor settings works.

(Chapter 3) - Mixing and Effects

00:47:40 Using FX Chains

Notes: General description of how to create, insert and edit FX Chains.

Relevance: FX Chains have changed significantly since X1. The general concept remains the same but has become more refined and we now have the ability to create Prochannel FX Chain Modules. Although useful it is probably best to refer to more recent tutorials or the manual in regards to FX Chains.

00:50:53 Generating Frequency Tracking Automation Envelopes

Notes: Shows how to use the Cakewalk Analyst plugin (which is a real time frequency spectrum analyzer) to generate automation envelopes which can then be used to control parameters of effects or anything that will read automation. This is a good general tutorial about the Analyst and it's many hidden features and uses.

Relevance: As far as I know the Analyst was removed after X2 in favor of the QuadCurve Flyout analyzer (I could be wrong though) so X3 users and beyond may not have this plugin. The QuadCurve unfortunately does not allow for output of automation envelopes like the Analyst did.

00:53:40 Virtual Micing for Acoustic Instruments

Notes: Shows how to create a very realistic stereo mic image from a single track.

Relevance: General production technique. Only uses cloning, panning and EQ (maybe delay... I forget). Very useful and relevant.

00:57:07 Using the PX-64 On Bass Tracks

Notes: A good demonstration of using the PX64 Percussion Strip plugin to process a bass track including transient shaping.

Relevance: The PX64 is a multi effect processor for drums but this shows it can be used for other tasks. It is still included in Sonar 2015 but only in Platinum (Boutique Effects)

01:00:52 Integrating External Hardware Effects

Notes: Shows how to use the external insert function in Sonar.

Relevance: I have not heard of any changes to the external insert feature in Sonar. Very useful for integrating outboard gear into your signal path non-destructively.

01:02:56 Using Perfect Space Reverb for Sound Design

Notes: Shows how to create and tweak "vocoder" type effects using Perfect Space convolution reverb by loading a wave file instead of an impulse response.

Relevance: Perfect Space was removed after X2 (or perhaps X3) and was replaced by Breverb. Not sure if this technique can be used with Breverb.

01:06:50 Sidechaining for Rhythmic Effects

Notes: Shows how to set up sidechaining within Sonar using the Sonitus Compressor.

Relevance: General production technique using the Sonitus Compressor which is low resource and not likely to be discontinued any time soon.

(Chapter 4) - Prochannel

01:09:24 Parallel Compression

Notes: Shows how to apply Parallel compression using either the Prochannel compressor modules or the VC64 (Vintage Channel). For the VC64 he shows how to set up two different compression levels instead of a simple wet/dry mix.

Relevance: The VC64 was removed after X2 but the Prochannel modules remain. This is particularly useful for those who own the VC64 from older versions. General production technique.

01:11:30 Adding Tube Saturation

Notes: Shows how to properly use the Prochannel Tube Saturation module to get the best saturation effect for a track.

Relevance: Tube Sat is still included.

01:14:17 Emulating Vintage Phase Shifters

Notes: Shows how to create a vintage sounding phase shifter effect using only the Prochannel Quad Curve EQ and some simple automation.

Relevance: The Quad Curve has changed a bit since X1 but the core functions are the same. This is a general production technique as well so could be used on other EQ's. Sounds cool.

01:16:48 Optimising Amp Simulators

Notes: Shows how to make amp sim tracks sound more realistic/less harsh. It is extremely effective and I use it all the time.

Relevance: He is using GR4 which required these types of tweaks much more than TH2 does but these techniques are very useful and can save a lot of time and effort and produce much nicer sounding tracks. There is a followup video that shows an alternate/additional method for dealing with harsh sims in the Sonar Advanced Next Level video which is just as, if not more, effective but it uses the discontinued VC64 (Vintage Channel).

01:22:37 Creating Vintage "Wah" Pedal Effects

Notes: Shows how to create a vintage wah wah effect using only cloning and the Prochannel Quad Curve EQ.

Relevance: This is a general production technique that does not require special plugins.

(Chapter 5) - Mastering

01:25:08 Mastering Inside Sonar

Notes: Shows how Craig sets up his projects for mastering using screensets and briefly touches on the export function.

Relevance: This is mostly about making visual changes to the Sonar interface to reduce unnecessary clutter while mastering and shows a simple export. Not much (if anything) has changed with these functions since X1.

01:28:18 Track Down EQ Problems with the Analyst

Notes: Shows how to spot potentially problematic frequencies in a final mix using the Cakewalk Analyst (a frequency analyzer).

Relevance: The Analyst was removed after X2 in favor of the new Quad Curve frequency analyzer flyout. The principles are the same but the QC flyout does not have all of the same features as the Analyst did. That does not affect the effectiveness of the technique though. The QC just does not provide a visual representation of the -3dB per Oct. frequency curve to compare the track frequency output to like the Analyst does.

01:31:08 Repairing Clicks

Notes: This shows how to effectively remove pops, clicks or clipping from tracks manually without any special tools or plugins. Extremely useful.

Relevance: General production technique.

01:33:10 Maximizing Loudness

Notes: Shows how to increase overall levels using the Sonitus Multiband Compressor.

Relevance: Sonitus Multiband is still included but this could be done with other, similar, multiband compressors.

01:34:22 Assembling An Album

Notes: Shows a workflow/method to set up finished/mixed tracks for an "album" including crossfading the start/ends of songs together.

Relevance: This is not the proper, professional way to acheive redbook standards but Sonar does not have those capabilities. This is however a good way to export an album for demos, personal use and possibly sending to a mastering house or into a proper mastering program.

01:39:14 Conclusion - Thanks For Watching

Notes: Ain't Craig a nice guy?

Relevance: The Anderton is ALWAYS relevant.

==========================================================

Sonar (X1) Advanced Workshop: The Next Level by Craig Anderton (vid 2)

Chapter 1 - Ambience and Spatial Effects

00:00:00 Better Drums With Virtual Room Mics

Notes: Shows how to create a virtual drum room for dry drum tracks using reverb, sends and busses.

Relevance: Although he uses Perfect Space convolution reverb (which is no longer included) any quality reverb will work (like Breverb). Sends have changed slightly in Sonar 2015 but the procedure is pretty much the same. General production technique.

00:04:47 The Preverb Effect

Notes: Shows how to create a "reversed" reverb and delay effect so the reverb tails and delay repetitions swell into the material as opposed to trailing after it.

Relevance: General production technique. Classic effect.

00:08:10 Mono to Stereo Spreader (using VC-64)

Notes: This is a cool technique to turn mono signals into a virtual stereo signal. Very effective.

Relevance: This uses the VC64 (Vintage Channel) plugin which was removed after X2. It could probably be duplicated using other methods but the VC64 makes it easier. General production technique.

00:10:45 Ethereal Reverb

Notes: This is a rather complex but very nice and tight sounding reverb effect using Sonitus, Channel Tools and sends/busses.

Relevance: Both the Sonitus plugins and Channel Tools are still included in Sonar 2015 but this could probably be acheived through other methods.

00:13:55 Stereo Widening

Notes: Shows how to use Channel Tools to quickly and easily add more width (or less) to a stereo signal. This is a good demonstration of SOME basic features of the Channel Tools plugin. Very useful.

Relevance: Channel tools is still included in Sonar 2015.

00:16:56 Neo-Gated Reverb

Notes: Shows how to use the TS64 Transient Shaper to manipulate a reverb sound for some interesting 80's/90's type effects on drums and elswehere.

Relevance: The TS64 Transient Shaper is still included in Sonar 2015 but only in Platinum.

Chapter 2 - Guitar

00:19:37 Sweetening Amp Sims With Deessing

Notes: This shows how to make amp sims sound more realistic/less harsh using the VC64 (Vintage Channel) plugin. It is a follow up to the amp sim entry from the first video (Sonar Advanced). This is very effective and is a good demonstration of how to use the VC64 which includes a deesser function.

Relevance: The VC64 was removed after X2. This is a rather specific procedure requiring the VC64 however some of the principles could possibly be applied using other plugins.

00:23:56 Sonar's Virtual MIDI Guitar

Notes: Shows how to use the Fretboard Pane within Sonar's Staff View to input notes and create realistic MIDI guitar parts. He uses Dimension Pro for the guitar sound.

Relevance: The Fretboard Pane has not changed since X1 and you could use any synth... not just DimPro.

00:28:06 Virtual Tunings for Guitar

Notes: Shows how to use the Transpose process and Cakewalk Multi Voice Chorus plugin to create a virtual 12 string guitar sound from the six string output of a guitar with "hex" pickups. He also shows how to use the Nudge process dialog to create a virtual strumming effect.

Relevance: This will not work unless you have a guitar that has hex pickups (a hex pickup allows the sound of each string to be output individually so they can be routed to their own track in Sonar). It is still a good demonstration of how to use the Transpose and Nudge processes. I am uncertain whether the Cakewalk Multi Voice Chorus is still included in Sonar 2015 because I do not see it on the product comparison page but I don't see why they would remove it. They may just have it listed under a different/more generic name.

Chapter 3 - Dynamics Enhancements

00:34:15 The Acoustifier

Notes: This shows how to make certain tracks sound more like acoustic instruments (like a MIDI drum part) using the PC4K Expander/Gate, Prochannel QuadCurve EQ and cloning. Although this is supposed to be an "acoustifier" I think it is a good way to simply add some pop and clarity to tracks with a lot of transients that need to be emphasized.

Relevance: I may be wrong but I do not think the PC4K Exp/Gate is included in any of the Sonar packages (it was however included in X1 Expanded) but can be purchased separately in the Cake store. Any expander and EQ could probably do this. Therefore I consider this a general production technique.

00:38:08 Percussive Compression (turning a compressor into an expander/gate)

Notes: This shows a simple trick to turn a compressor into a high quality expander (which is a gate that closes more smoothly/gradually than a standard gate which can be rather abrupt and abrasive). Very useful

Relevance: General production technique.

00:41:09 Transparent Compression for Mastering (using VC64)

Notes: This shows how to use the VC64 (Vintage Channel) to apply two stage compression which increases levels and clarity without the compression being noticeable. Particularly good for acoustic instruments and mastering. Very useful and popular technique.

Relevance: Although the VC64 was removed after X2 this type of compression can be achieved in other ways. General production technique.

00:44:20 "Pumping" Dance Music Drums

Notes: This shows how to set up the classic sidechain compression method used to cause the "ducking" effect that is common in dance music. Can also be used for getting bass tracks out of the way of kick drum hits in more traditional music (which is not specifically described in the vid).

Relevance: General production technique. Only requires a compressor with a sidechaining function.

Chapter 4 - Multiband Techniques

00:48:20 Multiband Imaging for Mastering (using LP64 Multiband compressor to isolate and center bass freqs)

Notes: Shows how to make sure the bass and kick drum on a mixed stereo track are centered in the stereo field (which helps keep them out of the way of other elements in the mix) using the LP64 Multiband Compressor. This is a very good demonstration of how to use the LP64. Particularly how to isolate frequency ranges without compressing them.

Relevance: The LP64 is still included in Sonar 2015 except for in the Artist version. However this technique can be acheived using the Sonitus Multiband compressor or other similar multiband compressors. General production technique.

00:52:44 Multiband Signal Processing (for guitar using Sonitus Multiband)

Notes: This shows how to use the Sonitus Multiband Compressor to split a guitar signal into separate frequency bands so each frequency range can be tweaked/panned individually. This allows for a much more intricate and full sound and is a good demonstration of how the Sonitus Multiband Compressor works. This could also be used on other signals with a broad frequency spectrum such as piano.

Relevance: The Sonitus Multiband is still included in Sonar 2015 but this could be done with any similar multiband compressor. General production technique.

Chapter 5 - Workflow

01:00:57 Speed Up Screensets and Browsing (disable non existent floppy drive)

Notes: This shows how to fix a Windows problem that can slow down file searches in the Browser and on your computer in general by disabling non existent floppy drives on your system.

Relevance: This may no longer be a problem in more modern versions of Windows but worth a look anyway.

01:02:15 Prochannel Effects Order

Notes: Shows how various Prochannel module and FX Bin orders will produce different results using the same effects. This is a very important concept to understand. It is crucial to know and be able to anticipate how different effects interact with each other in a signal chain and how to set up your signal chain properly. This is a rudimentary explanation of these concepts using EQ, compression and setting the Pre/Post status of the FX Bin.

Relevance: Although this focuses on the Prochannel this is a general production technique.

01:08:20 Create Custom LFOs with Automation (advanced envelopes and copy/paste envelopes)

Notes: This shows some more advanced automation envelope techniques (like using the Draw Tool to create specific patterns and how to properly copy/paste envelopes to other tracks). It also shows some very useful tricks to control important parameters like track volume without having your faders overtaken by automation envelopes (if you write a volume envelope you can no longer control your track fader... this shows you how to avoid that).

Relevance: Automation has changed a little since X1 with the introduction of automation lanes but most of the procedures and concepts are still relevant. Extremely useful.

01:12:27 Customizing Plugin Skins

Notes: This shows you how to access the graphic files for some plugin "skins" so you can change how they look.

Relevance: This is more of a computer trick that doesn't have much to do with music production but it is interesting. Be VERY careful when doing this though so you don't get stuck with bad GUIs forcing you to reinstall your plugins (essentially do not lose the original graphics in case you get bored with Hello Kitty dials on your plugins). Only certain plugins can be manipulated in this way.

01:14:53 MIDI Guitar Editing Tips (MIDI deglitch)

Notes: Shows how to properly use the Deglitch process to remove accidental/false triggered notes created when performing a MIDI part from a controller. The example used is a track created by a MIDI guitar controller which are prone to sending false data but so can other controllers (my padKontrol sometimes sends unwanted double notes when performing drum parts).

Relevance: The Deglitch process is unchanged since X1.

Chapter 6 - Vocal Processing

01:17:10 Hard Pitch Corrected Vocals

Notes: Shows how to use V-Vocal to create the exaggerated "Auto Tune" effect made popular by Cher's "Do You Believe" and is now on (far too many IMHO) hip hop and R&B vocal tracks. This is a good demonstration of some of the functions in V-Vocal. It also shows some other cool V-Vocal tricks not easily duplicated with our current toolset.

Relevance: This is technically a general production technique but the procedure is different depending on which pitch correction tool is being used. He is using V-Vocal which was removed from Sonar after X2 (and replaced with Melodyne Essentials). The same effect can be acheived with Melodyne but the procedure is different. If you do happen to own V-Vocal this is a useful vid. If not it is still interesting but perhaps not particularly useful. V-Vocal was removed because it was supposedly quite buggy and erratic.

01:20:18 Enhance Vocal Dynamics with Dynamic Filtering (Freq Analyst envelope to control EQ parameters)

Notes: Shows how to use the Cakewalk Analyst (which is a frequency analyzer that can write multiple automation envelopes based on the signal being fed into it) to create an automation envelope that can then be used to control an EQ (in this case the Prochannel Quad Curve). This allows the EQ to follow the sound (he uses a vocal track) in real time to make adjustments exactly where and when they are needed. This is extremely cool and useful.

Relevance: The Analyst was unfortunately removed after X2 and replaced with the Quad Curve flyout analyzer. The Quad Curve does not write envelopes. This will only work if you have the Analyst or another frequency analyzer that can output  automation envelopes.

Chapter 7 - Vintage Effects

01:24:25 Amp Vibrato Emulation (Sonitus Modulator and MIDI Controller routing)  

Notes: Shows how to use the Sonitus Modulator plugin to create a specific vintage (and very nice souding) vibrato effect. It also shows some rather intricate MIDI controller mapping functions and manipulation of the Modulator.

Relevance: The Sonitus Modulator is still included in Sonar 2015. I am uncertain whether the controller mapping procedure he uses is still relevant. I have never seen the method shown in the vid anywhere else but even if things are done  differently in more recent Sonar versions everything shown can still be acheived. This is actually a very advanced and somewhat confusing (to me) tutorial.

01:28:50 Vintage Tape Flanging (Sonitus Modulator)

Notes: This shows how to use the Sonitus Modulator to recreate an old method of using two tape machines to cause a flange effect. It is relatively simple but uses specific settings. Sounds very cool.

Relevance: The Sonitus Modulator is still included in Sonar 2015. This effect could probably be achieved with other plugins if they have the same extensive controls as the Sonitus Modulator.

01:32:42 Wah/Anti-Wah Filtering (Sonitus Wahwah)

Notes: Shows how to use the Sonitus Wah plugin to create the "Wah/Anti Wah" effect and set up triggered wah wah (which means the wah is activated by the incoming signal as opposed to manually operated by the producer/musician). It is a good demonstration of how to use the Sonitus Wahwah plugin.

Relevance: The Sonitus Wahwah plugin is still included in Sonar 2015.

01:35:33 Psychedelic 60's "Breathing" Drums (VC-64)

Notes: Shows how to use the VC64 (Vintage Channel) to acheive the heavily compressed/tape Ringo/Beatles type drum sound where the "cymbals suck into the drums". This is a good demonstration of how to use the VC64's dual compressors.

Relevance: The VC64 was removed after X2. It probably is possible to recreate this effect using other plugs but he uses rather specific settings within the VC64 so perhaps not very relevant to those who do not own the plugin.

01:38:00 Pentagon I Vocoder/Cross-Synthesizer (use audio to trigger/affect synth)

Notes: This shows how to use the Pentagon I synthesizer as a vocoder effect (robot voice is one example). The general premise is you can use the Pentagon I and a MIDI track/performance to alter an audio track. He also discusses how to solve a possible Windows 64/UAC issue with Pentagon I (which I have never encountered). He also shows how to use an audio track to manipulate paramaters within the synth. So the synth can be used as an effect on audio or the synth can be controlled by incoming audio. Both cool effects with lots of possibilities.

Relevance: I am not seeing Pentagon I on the Sonar 2015 Instruments list so I am unsure whether it is included. Not sure why they would remove it so perhaps it is a typo. If it is still included or you already own Pentagon I the process should be exactly the same as shown in the vid. This is a classic effect.

01:41:30 Extreme Phaser (Cakewalk Classic Phaser)

Notes: Shows a simple technique to intensify a phaser sound and allow for even more control over the effect. He uses the Cakewalk Classic Phaser in the example but this could probably be done with any phaser plugin.

Relevance: The Cakewalk Classic Phaser is included in all versions of SOnar 2015 but this effect could probably be achieved with any phaser effect. General production technique.

Chapter 8 - Distortion

01:43:40 Preserve Dynamics with Saturation (Tube Sat)

Notes: This shows simple method of applying heavy saturation to a track without turning the end result into a muddy, screechy, distorted mess. This allows access to the extra presence, punch and weight added by saturation without all the negative effects of an overly sataurated track. Very useful for percussive sounds like drums.

Relevance: He is using the Prochannel Tube Sat module for the demonstration which is still included in Sonar 2015 but this could be done using any saturation effect. General production technique.

01:46:19 Distortion Construction Kit (Tube Sat/Softube)

Notes: Shows how to create a distortion chain for guitar, bass, drums or anything else using the Tube Sat and/or Softube Saturation Knob modules, EQ and compression in various configurations for different distortion effects.

Relevance: The Tube Sat and Softube Saturation Knob modules are still included in Sonar 2015. These set ups could probably be created using any similar plugins. General production technique.

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 18:33:37 (permalink)
Holy crap, Beepman!
That's great! Thanks I bought those and was about to watch them, so your timing is impeccable!
How nice of you! (the Mary Steenburgen line in "The Butcher's Wife" comes to mind (when she opens a gift with a dead frog inside), and says in a very Brooklyn accent "oh?... How Taughtful").
Very cool! Thanks, I'm sure I will enjoy Craig's vids even more, now.
Michael
Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 19:00:29 (permalink)
pentimentosound
Holy crap, Beepman!
That's great! Thanks I bought those and was about to watch them, so your timing is impeccable!
How nice of you! (the Mary Steenburgen line in "The Butcher's Wife" comes to mind (when she opens a gift with a dead frog inside), and says in a very Brooklyn accent "oh?... How Taughtful").
Very cool! Thanks, I'm sure I will enjoy Craig's vids even more, now.
Michael

Right on, man. You are really going to like these vids. Knowing where everything is should make them more useful. A lot of it is rather complex and moves very fast so it was almost impossible for me to easily use it as a reference. I could only take vague stabs and guesses at some of the simpler techniques but knew there was some heavy duty stuff I was missing out on. Thus the time sheet. I've actually been poking at this off and on for about a week but it's worth it (my personal notes are WAY more elaborate). There are a few very specific things in there I really need to do on some of my stuff so hunt and pecking at 3+ hours of vids wasn't cutting it.

Also most of the stuff he does can be mangled into all sorts of crazy things if one were adventurous. Just knowing what some of these more obscure functions do and how to tweak them is really cool.

Cheers.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 20:37:18 (permalink)
It's a quirk with windows media player.  Many other media players utilize the playlist with no issues.  VLC and Quicktime index the chapters just fine.
Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 21:04:02 (permalink)
dubdisciple
It's a quirk with windows media player.  Many other media players utilize the playlist with no issues.  VLC and Quicktime index the chapters just fine.

Yup but I can't really be arsed to install a separate video player on my laptop every time I wipe it just for the ew vids I have that this affects (newer vids being put out by Cake seem to be separated into smaller bite sized vids).

I gotta ask though... do you own these vids? If so how do they show up in those other players? Is it just the bulk chapters or are each of the subtopics sorted as well?

Either way I still find it useful to have descriptions of what's in each because the titles can be rather vague compared to material they contain and if I'm trying to figure out a specific plug or trick I can just scan down the list and find the exact vid I need to review. I've done this with some other things I own. I'm halfway through doing this with the Producer FX vid (although I stopped a couple weeks ago... gotta get back on it) and I'll likely do the same for the Producer Instruments Revealed vid I just got a little while ago.

I also figured it might help people decide to buy the vids if they knew what all was covered.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 21:10:12 (permalink)
I have quicktime player and VLC.  on both you just right click on the interface and choose the chapter.  What you posted is still useful since it is a lot more descriptive than simply having the title.  Thanks for taking the time to do this.
pentimentosound
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 21:18:49 (permalink)
I got that CW Synths Revealed, too, but haven't been "available enough to watch 'em all yet". I bought a bunch to help me get on top of all that's changed since I jumped from 5.2PE to the "X's" and now Platinum. I've been focused on Melodyne Editor and now am aiming for AD2 and all my new stuff in that realm.
   I usually open them in Windows Media Player, but have Quicktime, so maybe I should try that, too.

Michael
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 22:06:05 (permalink)
Just install QuickTime player.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
FidelityMusic
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/15 22:27:47 (permalink)
I've watched days worth of Sonar videos, but I haven't seen those yet. I don't even want to watch anymore X1 videos, those colored clips upset me, who's idea was it to go with black clips?

Sonar Platinum, FL Studio 11 Signature Bundle, Windows 8.1 Pro
M-Audio Firewire 410, KRK Rokit 5 G2
Akai MPK49, Maschine Mikro MK2, Korg NanoKontrol
GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8320, 8GB 1886Mhz, 240GB SSD, 500GB HDD
AMD 6750, Acer S2000HL x2
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/16 00:20:07 (permalink)
Beepster
First off, to Craig... if you feel this is inappropriate in any way please let me know and I will immediately delete the posts (or you can just nuke the thread... I don't mind).

Not at all!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very helpful, and probably something I should have done  But the videos took so long to do I was pretty burned out when they were done. You'll notice I haven't done any since then...although you did get the amp sims 

I do think I need to do videos to describe how to use the content I'm doing for the Membership program. One early result from the Braintree survey is only a little over half read the PDF, where I'd put most of the documentation. Might be harder to ignore videos.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/16 01:05:35 (permalink)
I really liked them Craig. I think I gave them two thumbs up!

Best
John
Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/16 13:05:34 (permalink)
Anderton
Beepster
First off, to Craig... if you feel this is inappropriate in any way please let me know and I will immediately delete the posts (or you can just nuke the thread... I don't mind).

Not at all!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very helpful, and probably something I should have done  But the videos took so long to do I was pretty burned out when they were done. You'll notice I haven't done any since then...although you did get the amp sims 

I do think I need to do videos to describe how to use the content I'm doing for the Membership program. One early result from the Braintree survey is only a little over half read the PDF, where I'd put most of the documentation. Might be harder to ignore videos.

Oh good. Didn't want to step on any toes. You could always of course, if you were so inclined, swipe the list I created and add your own thoughts for any of the entries (like maybe adding workarounds for discontinued effects, expand on concepts or simply correct any Beep ups I made... lol). Obviously you are a very busy fellow so that is by no means expected but I know how you like to share knowledge so maybe reviewing all that could stir up some more contempary ideas/approaches on/to the subject matter.

As far as new Anderton vids I would personally love that but I can only imagine how much effort went into that series as is. What you need is a button pusher so you can just walk into a session, blast out the techniques (perhaps in a couple ways/takes) as someone handles the screen capture software and takes notes while you work. Then they could come up with a rough script based on the session for you to approve edit. Finally they could edit together the video in a such a way you could just do a voice over. Gotta be some eager interns running around Gibson/Tascam/Cakewalk who could do this (heck I'd do it but I'd screw it up and I'm no where near the base of operations so that's a bad idea).

Basically you could do the brainiac stuff and someone else does all the annoying grunt work involved in video production. Not sure if you are the one who did all that high end video production  (if so it is excellent work... best produced Cake vids I've seen actually) but takes time away from you just tossing out/demoing the ideas. Just like we don't expect rockstars to track, mix, master and design the cover art for their albums it would probably be more effective to just let you go nuts on the program on a somewhat freeform/stream of consciousness tear and let someone else sort it all out afterward.

I recall a while back an interview where you were trying to show off a bunch of cool stuff in Sonar but things kept getting veered off toward more frivolous promo stuff. I would have liked to see you just go nuts on the techniques you were trying to show and it seemed like you were almost getting frustrated that wasn't happening... then the interview was over. Heh.

We actually haven't had a webinar from Cake headquarters in a while either so maybe that could be a cool option.

That's probably sounding fanboish but screw it... I'm a fan. There, I said it. lulz

Anyway, great vids. After reviewing them again they've stirred up a bunch of cool ideas and there are some very specific practical techniques I need to fix some ancient material I've got on the backburner(s).

Cheers.
g_randybrown
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3522
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/16 16:26:17 (permalink)
Either way I still find it useful to have descriptions of what's in each because the titles can be rather vague compared to material they contain and if I'm trying to figure out a specific plug or trick I can just scan down the list and find the exact vid I need to review.

Not to mention that if one copy/pastes all this into wordpad they can search keywords...thanks Beep!

G. Randy Brown 
Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
youtube.com/crystalclearnm
Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/17 16:53:13 (permalink)
g_randybrown
Either way I still find it useful to have descriptions of what's in each because the titles can be rather vague compared to material they contain and if I'm trying to figure out a specific plug or trick I can just scan down the list and find the exact vid I need to review.

Not to mention that if one copy/pastes all this into wordpad they can search keywords...thanks Beep!

You could even just bookmark the thread, hit Ctrl F in your browser and enter the keywords.

Glad you may get some use out of this. :-)
Anderton
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 02:24:18 (permalink)
Beepster
Basically you could do the brainiac stuff and someone else does all the annoying grunt work involved in video production. Not sure if you are the one who did all that high end video production  (if so it is excellent work... best produced Cake vids I've seen actually) but takes time away from you just tossing out/demoing the ideas. Just like we don't expect rockstars to track, mix, master and design the cover art for their albums it would probably be more effective to just let you go nuts on the program on a somewhat freeform/stream of consciousness tear and let someone else sort it all out afterward...Anyway, great vids. After reviewing them again they've stirred up a bunch of cool ideas and there are some very specific practical techniques I need to fix some ancient material I've got on the backburner(s).

FWIW, I had a meeting with Henry J a few weeks ago and he wants me to get more active in doing recording videos. I gotta admit, it's great when the CEO directs you to do something you want to do anyway 

Not quite sure yet what the direction will be, obviously SONAR will be a part of it but I suspect Neat Microphones and TASCAM will also be involved.

On a personal note, yes, that was my production and I would want the videos accompanying the content to be on the same level. Right now I'm in Santa Fe packing up my studio to take to Nashville (I'm a little slow sometimes, I only relocated over a year ago!), so I'll be able to do productions much more efficiently and with higher quality. I have big plans for the year ahead.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 05:07:48 (permalink)
There are also some pdf's online which I've been using since getting Craig's 2x workshop videos:

http://static.cakewalk.com/cakewalk/products/sonar-workshop/Advanced-Workshop-Chapter-Breakdown.pdf

http://static.cakewalk.com/cakewalk/products/sonar-workshop/SONAR-X1-Advanced-Workshop-The-Next-Level-Chapter-Breakdown.pdf

...these don't have the timing information that you have provided however.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 08:09:46 (permalink)
Damn Beeps... I first opened this on my phone [scrollin', scrollin', scrollin'.... keeps that web page scrollin'.... now my thumb is swollen.... I tried!!]

In all seriousness, very nice write-up; and FWIW to those that have never seen this video, a lot of the workflow tips in there are still applicable. Craig's stuff very often goes way beyond "this does that" and more how to accomplish a task, which is very much appreciated.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 09:25:03 (permalink)
Thanks Beep. I started doing something like that but must have seen something shiny so didn't finish. Lots of really good stuff on these videos. Way more likely to fill 15 minutes watching them with this index.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
tbosco
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 09:33:33 (permalink)
This is great!  Thanks Beeps.  I had asked for this 2 years ago and someone had a document like a Table of Contents they posted.

FidelityMusic-  These 2 videos are unlike "tutorial" videos in my opinion.  They are generic and have some real JEWELS in them about how to use tools, plugins, etc in ways you never thought about.  They could apply to ANY version of Sonar (and really to any DAW).

Mr. Anderton-  Again- great job on these.

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
JNCS Computer with Asus X99 Motherboard (i7)
Win10 Pro 64bit, 32GB RAM
Motif XF7, Komplete 11, Ozone 7, 
Komplete Kontrol 88 keys,
Softube Console 1,
PreSonus Faderport 8,
Focusrite ISA 430 Mk 2 Mic Pre,
Yamaha HS8s and Sub
Drawmer 3.1 Monitor Controller
Fractal Axe FX 2 XL Guitar Processor
Lots-o-Guitars
pentimentosound
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 09:51:26 (permalink)
Ditto tbosco! I bought/read/still have Craig's Sonar 3 Mixing and Mastering book, and realize I still using the gems I got from that one! So, I can't wait to enjoy and appreciate these two videos!

Craig's announcement/go ahead from Henry (3 cheers to the chief! and the Chief Magic Officer! LOL)is a great piece of news to read, first thing this morning! Very good news, indeed!

Best of luck on your move, Craig!     ....Goodbye, Canyon Road! Hello, Printer's Alley!
Michael 
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 10:24:38 (permalink)
Great work Beeps.  I be copying this stuff into my OneNote notebook which has all the other cool stuff people have posted on this forum.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

tbosco
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 10:28:45 (permalink)
Mr. Anderton-  We'll be neighbors!!  LOL

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
JNCS Computer with Asus X99 Motherboard (i7)
Win10 Pro 64bit, 32GB RAM
Motif XF7, Komplete 11, Ozone 7, 
Komplete Kontrol 88 keys,
Softube Console 1,
PreSonus Faderport 8,
Focusrite ISA 430 Mk 2 Mic Pre,
Yamaha HS8s and Sub
Drawmer 3.1 Monitor Controller
Fractal Axe FX 2 XL Guitar Processor
Lots-o-Guitars
Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/18 14:07:49 (permalink)
@ston... Thank you for those. I will check them out and keep them along with my own notes and the vids.

@Craig... Excellent news. I very much look forward to seeing what you come up with for all our new goodies. :-)

@mettulus... You should see my personal notes. REAMS of text describing step by step instructions and I only made entries on certain things that will be immediately useful. I'll be fleshing everything else out as need be. Kind of why I wanted the descriptions so if I need to do something and remember it's in the vids I can jump to the section quickly.

@everyone else... I do hope they end up being useful but really this is just something I did for my own use (but did do a special copy for posting here) and figured I'd share. Typing things up helps me retain the knowledge a little better anyway... kind of like why they force you to take notes in school. If you write it down it's more likely to stick. lol

Just finished rewatching and doing the same thing for the Karl Rose Producer FX vid too. Might post that as well after some heavy editing but I've gotta get my current project under control (which is why I rewatched the FX vids again... for making a mix plan). Then I have to review the Instruments vid I just got.

Cheers.
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/19 12:14:19 (permalink)
Yo Beepster

Way cool.

What program did you use to create the notes? Word, Wordpad,....?  Any formatting changes when you pasted into the forum box?

I find the PDF files are useful to have locally for reference.. But cannot edit easily without translating to word. Which does not work so well

I have favoritized this thread. But threads do disappear.

I have copied your posts to word. They translated fine.   Often I have to use notepad to strip the HTML formatting.
skorst
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/19 17:23:15 (permalink)
Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop - Video Tutorial Bundle vs. SWA Complete SONAR X3 Video Tutorial Bundle...

First is from Craig Anderton but about features of an outdated product.
https://shop.cakewalk.com/1244/catalog/product.151200/language.en/currency.USD/?id=TZoOZB689g

Second isn't from Craig Anderton, but about features of a more recent, albeit outdated product.
https://shop.cakewalk.com/1244/catalog/product.151201/language.en/currency.USD/?id=TZoOZB689g

If I was to buy one, which would offer the most information that I could use in Sonar Platinum?
steve

i3 Intel Core, 8Gb RAM, 500G Internal, Win 7 64-Bit, Sonar Platinum
https://soundcloud.com/stevekorst
Anderton
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/20 00:58:36 (permalink)
skorst
Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop - Video Tutorial Bundle vs. SWA Complete SONAR X3 Video Tutorial Bundle...

https://shop.cakewalk.com/1244/catalog/product.151200/language.en/currency.USD/?id=TZoOZB689g

If I was to buy one, which would offer the most information that I could use in Sonar Platinum?
steve

To quote tbosco: "These 2 videos are unlike "tutorial" videos in my opinion.  They are generic and have some real JEWELS in them about how to use tools, plugins, etc in ways you never thought about.  They could apply to ANY version of Sonar (and really to any DAW)."

That sums up my intention. Although some of the material is dated, most of it is pretty universal.

Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/20 11:55:38 (permalink)
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Yo Beepster

Way cool.

What program did you use to create the notes? Word, Wordpad,....?  Any formatting changes when you pasted into the forum box?

I find the PDF files are useful to have locally for reference.. But cannot edit easily without translating to word. Which does not work so well

I have favoritized this thread. But threads do disappear.

I have copied your posts to word. They translated fine.   Often I have to use notepad to strip the HTML formatting.

Howdy. I used notepad and usually do for all my notes. I just like the simplicity but it does cause some problems. I should probably start using Notepad+ instead but haven't biothred yet.

As far as this forum mangling copy/pasta... yes that is extremely annoying because many times I type things up in notepad before posting and it always mangles the formatting. I had to spend an extra 5-10 minutes reformatting my third post (the one with all the extra notes). Not sure if Wordpad or Notepad+ would be better but as I said... I keep everything in Notepad.

Anyway, glad you will get some use out of it. I don't anticipate the thread getting deleted (I've always been able to google my old threads if I can remember keywords) but things happen.

Cheers.

Beepster
Re: Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop by Craig Anderton: Timesheet and description of contents 2015/03/20 12:13:10 (permalink)
skorst

Second isn't from Craig Anderton, but about features of a more recent, albeit outdated product.
https://shop.cakewalk.com/1244/catalog/product.151201/language.en/currency.USD/?id=TZoOZB689g

steve

It depends... If you are new to Sonar or want to learn how to use it then definitely pick up the SWA Complete bundle by Karl Rose. I posted another thread abotut hat series (and some others by Karl) that explains the contents a little better (not like this but it is separated rather well and all the chapters are pretty self explanatory). I use that series as a quick reference guide now instead of using the online help or Reference Guide if I just need a refresher (and if I need more details then I'll refer to the massive 2000+ page Refernece Guide or I'll ask the forum).

If you are already an advanced user of Sonar then Craig's Advanced series shows you a bunch of cool production techniques you can accomplish with Sonar. That's what I listed earlier. It's more of a creative vid than something that teaches you how to use Sonar. However it does show many, MANY areas of Sonar in detail that are overlooked by the more straightforward tutorials. 

So if you are a newcomer... I'd recommend the SWA bundle. I would also recommend the SWA Producer FX vids (which unfortunately only covers X2 Producer FX and we've gotten a few new ones, have had a couple removed and it doesn't cover the addon plugins available for the Prochannel like the CA2A). There is also the SWA Producer Instruments vids again by Karl Rose that shows how to use all the included synths. This is a more recent vid and covers all the stuff from X3 (so it covers almost everything included in Platinum).

If you are very confident with the program and/or curious about digital audio production techniques then the Craig Anderton Advanced vids are really good.

Personally I'd recommend buying all those vids and I'd proritize them in this order:

SWA X3 Complete Bundle
SWA Producer FX
SWA Producer Intruments
X1 Advanced Workshop

I say that because the first three are reference vids that can help you understand and perform the tasks explained in the X1 Advanced Workshop and could even help you make substitutions of the now missing plugins if you are smarter than the average bear.

Cheers.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1