Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Crush
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
2011/01/27 00:16:25 (permalink)

Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'.

Ok so far I have tried Cubase 5, Ableton Live 8, Maschine, FL Studio (of course), and Sonar X1. I have NOT tried Protools 9 and Logic yet because we have to sneak a Mac laptop away from work for the weekend.

An electronic music producer or 'beat maker' is not an engineer. We're low IQ and not that bright. However we are a massive market.

The way it works currently is like this.

The beat maker makes the beats at home. 99% using FL studio these days. It then gets emailed to the artist. The artist has a hotmail account usually called beats4xxx@hotmail.com or something like that.

The artist may pay the beat maker for the beat.. maybe not. The artist is usually making a mixtape. Although lately this style of producing is now making its way into the major album releases. It's becoming less of being an 'insider' these days.

The artist pays for studio time to rap etc over the FL track. The recordings are NOT done in FL. From what I'm hearing, the studios around London are using Logic. Around the US cities it's Protools and Cubase. They will master and record the vocals in studio.

NOW WHAT IS BEGINNING TO HAPPEN - HOME STUDIOS WITH BEATMAKER 'HOSTING' RECORDING SESSIONS

I am in touch with all the teens and such coming up. Some with amazing talent. I can tell you 100% that the big thing right now is the USB mic make shift bedroom studios. What's also happening is international trading of beats and collaborations is happening. This is currently going on with kids in their teens.

The artist will usually record into a wave recorder with a free CD that they got with their USB mic package. The beat makers (who are young and not computer savvy) cannot properly mix the audio in with FL studio as the mixing is HORRIBLE in FL.

Basically, there is NO UNIVERSAL tool to record vox and make 'beats' for the younger generation out there. This is a huge problem for everyone.

Through all the products I have tried, amazingly, Sonar X1 seems to come closest to this. It has a step sequencer which is a requirement for us, it loop records very easily as my video points out. And it has gotten attention from kids asking me if it's a good alternative to FL. I made it look easy.

I feel the software is very 'close' to have an electronic producer mode which is heavily into snap, loops, and alignment. Also the step sequencer would have to be reworked its flawed and illogical.

Well until the snap is fixed, I have given up and am going back to FL. I'll try Pro Tools and Logic but if Cubase was THAT much of a laugh (especially after all these years to improve), then I'm not holding out hope for Pro Tools/Logic.

But it's almost a 'shame' as it's so so close to being 'that tool' That Sony Vegas that does it all. That 10/10 software. I'm trying to be very clear on what my low IQ, simple mind needs. It's a shame they'd rather consult with 'power users' who *enjoy* complex puzzles. I notice these are the people on the t*t of Cakewalk the most.

105 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 00:19:33 (permalink)
    When you said 99% use FL STudio, you lost me right there.

The MAJOR artists (beat makers included) I know don't even use FL Studio.  It's a great program, but you're making up statistics, and that immediately gives me pause to accept whatever else you might say as having validity.

Sorry - but if you're going to through out statistics, get your facts in order first.

I DO agree about Sonar, however.  It's almost there for any type of music.

post edited by ba_midi - 2011/01/27 00:21:07

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Scott Lee
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 00:32:53 (permalink)
    You also lost me with the 99% comment using FL studio.

People I deal with the industry in Trance usually use Logic / Live / and Cubase a few protools but not many. (Electro House is similar in respect). These are industry people with album releases played on DI radio. afterhours FM, etc. so it does not reflex total volume of sales of course.

I can of course back up what I say. Simply check this link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FutureMusicMagazine

Breakcore, and drum & bass you see a lot using renoise and some using fruityloops due to the step recording type of design.

A new contender on the market though that I think allot of folks have been watching is Presonus Studio One. Its amazing.

I also agree with billy, Sonar could do well. They need to fix up and plug the  technical holes that keep folks from producing, get on the modern plugin bandwagon, and tighten the code up.

Best,
    post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/27 00:45:15

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 
    Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Crush
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 01:11:32 (permalink)
    I was talking mainly about hip hop genres. I've never spoken to one producer not using FL. Just look on Youtube for any hip hop tutorial and it's evident.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 01:29:14 (permalink)
    Crush

I was talking mainly about hip hop genres. I've never spoken to one producer not using FL. Just look on Youtube for any hip hop tutorial and it's evident.

Yes there are quite a few producers using FL of course.  But your statement about 99% is a little unsubstantiated, I submit.

I'm not disagreeing in general with your comments; but I don't think it's good when someone makes claims as to market share, etc,  without having factually based data.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Crush
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 01:36:39 (permalink)
    99% is a figure of speech. I was talking about an independent mixtape scene and I just assumed people would know what I was talking about.
    Crush
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 01:38:59 (permalink)
    "Presonus Studio One. Its amazing."

No ones mentioned that.. never heard of it..

I'm definitely going to check it out through cause I see some things I really like in the automation.

I highly suggest anyone reading this watch the below video. You can see American engineering and software development at it's best. It's not what the software CAN do, it's what the software SHOULD do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx1oKIScaeo

After watching more videos and seeing the working loops and snaps on this video here, I'm going to make testing this a priority and see what I come up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKk6y3XCMF4

post edited by Crush - 2011/01/27 01:59:22
    Scott Lee
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 03:27:51 (permalink)
    Hi Crush since you are linking videos.

This is one feature I find invaluable being a beat maker / electronica artist (hip hop guys use constantly). I really wanted this feature in Sonar but it honestly never got in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTGtfFdnt8&feature=player_detailpage#t=362s

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 04:27:10 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, but I just think this guy's treads are a hoax.

And he is so lacking in knowledge about the capabilities of SONAR.
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2011/01/27 04:28:50

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Scott Lee
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 05:08:01 (permalink)
    "I'm sorry, but I just think this guy's treads are a hoax.

And he is so lacking in knowledge about the capabilities of SONAR."

Hmm, but he is praising Sonar. Thats got to score some points with you.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 05:48:46 (permalink)
    There lies the problem as far as I'm concerned.  Sonar is now being aimed towards the 'beat makers' (i.e. the cut and paste 'Hey I composed this' merchants, not musicians) who I assume are representing more and more of the market.  Hence all DAWs are now converging into one type.  Those of us who are musicians have to come along for the ride as functionality and GUIs change away from what we need and like.  Bah, humbug, hrmph!

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 05:58:11 (permalink)
    I just noticed you mention the teens, Crush. I know that the beat swaping scene which is very global and very popular amongst teenagers, leans very much towards FL Studio. Years ago I was in that too, making a ton of loops and beats with FL Studio and sending them all over the world to hear them later on on some mixtape... maybe. It was really good fun.

FL studio has the advantage of being affordable (or easy to find on the warez sites), it works with 110% of all the audiointerfaces crammed into any computer and it has everything you need in the software (sounds, effect, instruments). And if you only can use 9% of the software you can still create great beats.

Sonar is an entirely different beast. I'm not sure if a direct comparison is fair

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 06:07:41 (permalink)

You can see American engineering and software development at it's best.

Gee.

Don't I do that every time I boot up Windows?

We're low IQ and not that bright.

Never judge others by your own standards, it's blinkered vision and not lack of intelligence that skews your impressions, if you could get past that you might be pleasantly surprised at the mental capabilities of those around you.

'We' in the context you've used there is the stuff that belongs in a urinal.

Having said that I do so enjoy your posts. Keep it up.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/27 06:09:54

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    himalaya
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 282
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 06:37:23 (permalink)
    For anyone who is serious about beat creation, I wholeheartedly recommend a dedicated drum machine like Guru, Geist, or any other of the dedicated, sample/loop based drum plugs. The benefit of using a dedicated drum plug is that you can take it with you to any host you wish, so if you stop using FL and choose X1, for example, you immediately are in familair terrority for beat creation, since you know the plugin inside out (hopefully).
    post edited by himalaya - 2011/01/27 06:41:15

http://www.electric-himalaya.com
    VSTi and hardware synth patches
    Scott Lee
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 06:37:28 (permalink)
    "There lies the problem as far as I'm concerned.  Sonar is now being aimed towards the 'beat makers' (i.e. the cut and paste 'Hey I composed this' merchants, not musicians) Those of us who are musicians have to come along for the ride as functionality and GUIs change away from what we need and like."

Here you go for you serious musicians.

All jokes aside, modern music is complex. "Beat Makers" or "sequenced music" mixed in with live performances is common place in the industry nowadays, you should know this. All it does is streamline the process. The folks that are "arrangers" as who I think you have issues with, can easily be detected in this competitive field.

If technology isnt the tool for you, then hit the reel to reel and shut down the PC.  Where all musicians and use the tools available as we see to fit our creative ideas.

post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/27 18:45:27

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

himalaya
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 06:46:20 (permalink)
    Crush

I highly suggest anyone reading this watch the below video. You can see American engineering and software development at it's best. It's not what the software CAN do, it's what the software SHOULD do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx1oKIScaeo

I'm sorry Crush, I have to say this, my apologies, but you reveal so much ignorance through your threads.
    Here's one example. Studio One is developed by German programmers:
    http://www.presonussoftwa...S/index.php?id=company

Some of whom, I hear, are ex-Steinberg employees.

Scott Lee
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 07:00:21 (permalink)
    Hi Himalaya,

Presonus is a American company ran by Jim Odom. Jim not only was a lead guitarist in the band LeRoux back in the 80s, but worked on the soundtrack for Grammy nominated "Dirty Dancing", European Vacation, etc.

Presonus is a hardware manufacturer with years of technical data that was implemented and helped shape Studio Ones core design by a few of Nuendos/Cubase programmers that left Stienberg after buying KristalLabs Software in 2006.

The end result actually feels more on the line with Sonars workflow then Cubase, which leads me to believe, thier was a heavy American influence on workflow designs mixed in with fantastic german code. (Never was a big fan of Cubase's workflow but liked the tools. Sonar always felt more at home).

Best Regards,

post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/27 18:47:10

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

himalaya
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 07:52:57 (permalink)
    Did you follow the link? PreSonus is American, but Studio One is based on code by German programmers, not that I care.  But the OP needs to know that. ;)
    American (this in itself is a misnomer) 'influence' on workflow is one thing, implementing, coding and making sure it runs smoothly is another. ;-)

Disclaimer: I do not care in the least where Studio One is made, or any other software for that matter. But reading the OP's stress on the American this or that (here and in another thread) reveals a lot of ignorance, I'm sorry to say. To show how much: without Steinberg and their VST standard, which they developed, the OP would not be able to enjoy the way we make music with VST instruments and effects.

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 08:02:46 (permalink)
    Scott Lee

"There lies the problem as far as I'm concerned.  Sonar is now being aimed towards the 'beat makers' (i.e. the cut and paste 'Hey I composed this' merchants, not musicians) Those of us who are musicians have to come along for the ride as functionality and GUIs change away from what we need and like."

All jokes aside, modern music is complex. "Beat Makers" mixed in with live performances is common place in the industry nowadays, you should know this. All it does is streamline the process. The folks that are "arrangers" as who I think you have issues with, can easily be detected in this competitive field.

If technology isnt the tool for you, then hit the reel to reel and shut down the PC.  Where all musicians and use the tools available as we see to fit our creative ideas.

Got one of those in my studio closet, as a matter of fact. 

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 08:05:06 (permalink)
    Presonus is a American company ran by Jim Odom. Jim not only was a lead guitarist in the band LeRoux back in the 80s, but worked on the soundtrack for Grammy nominated "Dirty Dancing", European Vacation, etc.

Didn't know that.  LeRoux was one of my favorite bands pre 80s (which ruined them IMHO.)

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 08:10:38 (permalink)
    I gave my 3340 away 10 years ago. :-)

I'm just glad to learn that rappers are figuring out that they can use a USB mic and that they don't each have to own a monogrammed Neumann U87.

Used U87s should be hitting the market soon!

FL Studio seems like a very good program.

best regards,
    mike

kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 08:11:25 (permalink)
    Crush

The beat maker makes the beats at home. 99% using FL studio these days. 

Hey Crush,  where are you getting your statistics from? 

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 08:18:48 (permalink)

Thomasabarnes

I'm sorry, but I just think this guy's treads are a hoax. 

Yeah, I'm not sure whether to take Crush seriously after this thread... http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?&m=2206447&mpage=1

He deleted my comments on YouTube that mentioned better ways to do things in Sonar and leaves up any comment making Sonar look foolish.

Crush, you can use any program mentioned just fine for electronic music whether it's hip hop or what ever. Sonar works great for this. If you are really serious about it you might want to check out hardware workstations such as Roland Fantom series or Korg workstations such as M3 etc. On the cheaper side of things even things like the Korg Electribe are cool. Hardware can be good because you don't have the hassle of issues associated with computers. Flip the switch and you're ready to go. Computers are cool because they give you a better interface for editing. It's really just a matter of personal taste which no one is going to be able to answer but you.

Here is a link to some videos of a guy using the Korg M3 that's is pretty cool. Check out the My Studio Setup video and specifically around 4:10 which is the link I pasted. 
    http://www.youtube.com/user/landmarqmusic#p/u/14/5zyj2z_GE4M

But also check out him making beats with the M3.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/landmarqmusic#p/u/10/u9cOiVT1RUM
    post edited by WDI - 2011/01/27 08:28:08

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 08:28:24 (permalink)
    thomasabarnes

I'm sorry, but I just think this guy's treads are a hoax.

Definitely +1.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 08:44:14 (permalink)
    I don't suppose this guy even realises the CA$H DAWG is on these forums...

I'm wondering if he's even heard of him!

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Scott Lee
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 08:48:36 (permalink)
    "Got one of those in my studio closet, as a matter of fact.  "

Nice!

"I don't suppose this guy even realises the CA$H DAWG is on these forums..."

I dunno but we can always send em over to  Bapu.
    post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/27 09:00:34

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

Scott Lee
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 09:00:06 (permalink)
    "Did you follow the link? PreSonus is American, but Studio One is based on code by German programmers"

I sure did. As I said in my last post, Presonus is working with KristalLabs Software aka the germans programmers behind Nuendo aka Cubase/Steinberg.  If you had any hands on experience with Studio One yet, much of the workflow feels similar to Sonar though. Its very apparent the Americans behind  Presonus design team have been heavily influencing not only the modelled hardware plugins, but the workflow of the DAW along side of the german developers.

Best,

post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/27 18:48:56

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

Crush
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 09:01:10 (permalink)
    Here is a link to some videos of a guy using the Korg M3 that's is pretty cool. Check out the My Studio Setup video and specifically around 4:10 which is the link I pasted. http://www.youtube.com/us...sic#p/u/14/5zyj2z_GE4M But also check out him making beats with the M3. http://www.youtube.com/us...sic#p/u/10/u9cOiVT1RUM

Beats made with those machines will produce 'wack' beats or beats that are no longer desirable.

Here is what people are expecting, note that what your hearing here is a signature FL sound and you would have a lot.. a LOT of added steps trying to make this in other software:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDfv614Wsuw

Again FL's problem is the final mix is HORRIBLE.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 09:17:52 (permalink)
    Scott Lee

All jokes aside, modern music is complex. "Beat Makers" mixed in with live performances is common place in the industry nowadays, you should know this. All it does is streamline the process. The folks that are "arrangers" as who I think you have issues with, can easily be detected in this competitive field.

scott i have this teac ..though its not the 2340 it looks just like it..i used to use it for mastering back in the late 80's because it was 1/4 inch tape and not 1/8 like conventional cassette

ps.are those pro channel vu's?

Scott Lee
    Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 09:21:47 (permalink)
    "ps.are those pro channel vu's?"

Must be, I cant find the nodes or plot anywhere

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1