Helpful ReplySonar X3 released. And now...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 10:22:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Studious 2013/09/25 14:43:40
I have commented before as well - I think that X2a has been extremely stable for me, and for a lot of folks.

I keep reading posts that issue blanket statements about the bugginess of X2a, and of its instability, but when you look back through it all, and I have participated in a whole bunch of assisting folks with specific problems, these blanket statements are just not true.

There ARE no global show-stopper crashes going on with X2a, and while some population of folks have individual issues, another population keeps indicating that they are quite happy with the stability in X2a, and with what they feel have been workflow and feature improvements.  And to the best of my recollection, not a single one of the issues I have participated in resolving have ended being caused by X2a - but rather by either operator error, plugin problems (mostly 32-bit third-party running in x64 X2a), and interface driver problems (sometimes settings, sometimes drivers).

There are folks who think X2a walks on water, and those who think X2a is a dismal failure.  Excluding the fringes on both sides of it, X2a has some annoyances, but has in fact been globally quite stable, and for those with repeated crashes, as I indicated above, that has without little or no exception (again to the best of my knowledge), has not been from X2a itself failing.  There are even workarounds for most of the things that are annoyances.

I look forward to evaluating X3, whenever it shows up - seemingly getting close now, and if the base product is as stable for me as X2a has been, I will cheerfully explore whatever new features it includes, and following my evaluation I will either choose to upgrade or I will choose to cheerfully continue to use X2a.

Bob Bone

post edited by robert_e_bone - 2013/09/25 10:33:34

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
mmorgan
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 10:26:26 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
I have commented before as well - I think that X2a has been extremely stable for me, and for a lot of folks.

I keep reading posts that issue blanket statements about the bugginess of X2a, and of its instability, but when you look back through it all, and I have participated in a whole bunch of assisting folks with specific problems, these blanket statements are just not true.

There ARE no global show-stopper crashes going on with X2a, and while some population of folks have individual issues, another population keeps indicating that they are quite happy with the stability in X2a, and with what they feel have been workflow and feature improvements.  And to the best of my recollection, not a single one of the issues I have participated in resolving have ended being caused by X2a - but rather by either operator error, plugin problems (mostly 32-bit third-party running in x64 X2a), and interface driver problems (sometimes settings, sometimes drivers).

There are folks who think X2a walks on water, and those who think X2a is a dismal failure.  Excluding the fringes on both sides of it, X2a has some annoyances, but has in fact been globally quite stable, and for those with repeated crashes, as I indicated above, that has without little or no exception (again to the best of my knowledge), has not been from X2a itself failing.  There are even workarounds for most of the things that are annoyances.

I look forward to evaluating X3, whenever it shows up - seemingly getting close now, and it the base product is as stable for me as X2a has been, I will cheerfully explore whatever new features it includes, and following my evaluation I will either choose to upgrade or I will choose to cheerfully continue to use X2a.

Bob Bone

Exactly.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 10:30:14 (permalink)
robert_e_bone

I look forward to evaluating X3, whenever it shows up - seemingly getting close now, and it the base product is as stable for me as X2a has been, I will cheerfully explore whatever new features it includes, and following my evaluation I will either choose to upgrade or I will choose to cheerfully continue to use X2a.

Bob Bone

Now THIS is a LOGICAL conclusion....thanx Bob...I agree...

I'm going to take the "evaluate" and wait process this time...see how it goes..and 
then make a decision...rather then have to be the first on the block to have it...
They just got a hundred bucks from me a year ago...and they want another
$149 now to get fixes for what should have already been fixed....
so I'm going to make sure this thing is stable and viable before jumping
on the band wagon...I've got nothing to lose...and may save $149...so
it only makes sense to me...

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 10:31:07 (permalink)
joel77
I didn't get to see the list of features, as the Sweetwater ad was down before I had a chance to look. I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Sonar X2a has been mostly a pleasure for me. I'm not a super power user, but I've never had it crash either. There are, of course things that I would do differently, but I'm not the one designing the lay out of the program. It's taken some adjusting, but that is true of every new version of any program. Hell, it took most of a year before I finally figured out how to power down Windows 8!!  lol!  ...... not that I was looking that hard and I don't use that computer all that often.

I am excited to see what all they've changed/added/updated with X3. 

Hey Joel, and anyone else if it applies, here are some simple ways to shut down and restart Windows 8, using shortcuts.

1.  For Shutdown, set up a desktop shortcut with the following:
     Target: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 00
     Start In: C:\Windows\system32

2.  For Restart, set up a desktop shortcut with the following:
     Target: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 00

For both of the above, I also hit the Change Icon button and found a couple of nice icons to make them stand out on my desktop, a red circle icon for shutdown, and a blue circle for restart.

I use these all the time, and they are super quick, rather than the goofy default way Windows 8 does it by default.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
cclarry
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 10:33:29 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
joel77
I didn't get to see the list of features, as the Sweetwater ad was down before I had a chance to look. I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Sonar X2a has been mostly a pleasure for me. I'm not a super power user, but I've never had it crash either. There are, of course things that I would do differently, but I'm not the one designing the lay out of the program. It's taken some adjusting, but that is true of every new version of any program. Hell, it took most of a year before I finally figured out how to power down Windows 8!!  lol!  ...... not that I was looking that hard and I don't use that computer all that often.

Hey Joel, and anyone else if it applies, here are some simple ways to shut down and restart Windows 8, using shortcuts.

For both of the above, I also hit the Change Icon button and found a couple of nice icons to make them stand out on my desktop, a red circle icon for shutdown, and a blue circle for restart.

I use these all the time, and they are super quick, rather than the goofy default way Windows 8 does it by default.

Bob Bone

If you're in Desktop view you can just hit the usual Alt+F4 and the Shutdown Dialog will come up...that's the 
way I do it...no Real Estate lost that way either...
post edited by cclarry - 2013/09/25 10:46:20

jscomposer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 10:45:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby soulicious 2013/09/25 17:39:37
robert_e_bone

I look forward to evaluating X3, whenever it shows up - seemingly getting close now, and if the base product is as stable for me as X2a has been, I will cheerfully explore whatever new features it includes, and following my evaluation I will either choose to upgrade or I will choose to cheerfully continue to use X2a.

Bob Bone

Bob, you nailed it! I'm sick of the chronic whining form the users pointing the finger at X2. As I've stated many times, it has been a ROCK for me. If it's solid for myself, and thousands of other users, it's obviously system/peripheral related...NOT Sonar. I have yet to see a reported "show stopper". Personally, I'm excited about the new direction, and I'm really hoping X3 offers better video handling (which was not a bug BTW, just something the Bakers never developed). If this is the case, film composers like myself would be happy campers!
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 10:58:51 (permalink)
robert_e_bone

Bob Bone

Great post Bob - sums up exactly how I feel about X2a.

Seems like the release of X3 is going to coincide with me putting the final touches to my revamped studio room (no desk as of yet though, which is a bummer)

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 10:59:05 (permalink)
X2a has been virtually rock solid for me in terms of stability, i.e. crashes have been a thing of the past (excluding the odd one caused by certain 3rd party plugs). But to be honest I don't think that's what most of the complaints have been about...it's been mostly about operational bugs and oddities, like for instance clips jumping to the wrong tracks when you drag and release them from one track to another (happens to me all the time and is well documented), arpeggiator automation not working properly, automation of FX Chain on/off switch not working properly, all the issues with take lanes, automation lanes not being labeled properly in some cases etc...it's little things like these which can really make working with the program frustrating and impede your productivity. 

I'll probably upgrade to X3 if all of these things have been fixed in the demo, and yeah I'm excited about a new version, but I'm going to be honest and say that ideally I would have much preferred a free update without the new bells and whistles so that I didn't feel pressured into upgrading just to see current problems fixed. It would have been nice if they'd have released one last update for X2 users who aren't inclined to upgrade. Seems to me that if they have fixed these bugs in X3 it wouldn't have been too much trouble to incorporate some of the fixes into an X2b update at the same time. I can't see many people shelling out $150 just for X2 bug fixes - they're going to do it because they want the new features as well. So I don't believe releasing an X2b at the same time as X3 would hurt their revenue too much, and it would be priceless in terms of Cakewalk customer relations. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 11:07:30 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
 X2A was widely lauded as a pretty stable platform with a few slight niggles but nothing show stopping.

Thats my experience. I am very happy with X2a, if fact if I don't upgrade its because I am happy with X2a. X3 looks promising but I am waiting for some details.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 11:27:50 (permalink)
Nice post, Bob.  You said exactly what's been on my mind for some time now.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 11:40:54 (permalink)
I can say, for the moment, other than having to kill Sonar after every use via Task Manager, it's been pretty solid. It's not that Sonar is unstable or full of bugs, but that there are probably limitations and mishaps with API's offered by Microsoft and other software integrated into Windows. With that said, still, there are probably some elements of testing left out due to time or budget constraint, and some ways of finding bugs that could stand improvement.

The issue I still have is that reporting potential bugs needs work. If a user experiences an issue, merely reporting it in a forum or dialogue, even at the basic level should be enough. The reason I say this is that, as these things accumulate, it may produce trends. For example, ANY issue reported for graphics or the GUI should be accumulated as a GUI/video issue. It shouldn't matter (yet) exactly what the issue is, but that there are "x" number of video/GUI issues. If this seems to be a problem area, then more detail should be requested from the user by Cakewalk to see if there's similarities and potential bugs. That's more proactive.

I still don't think the Bug Reporter tool is effective, because 1) there's no incentive to report bugs, and 2) it's not always possible to reproduce with specific steps. I came from an industry where my job was reporting bugs. A bug may be found in a result, not always a specific procedure. I've proven that theory many times with Adtran engineers. Intermittent bugs are hard to find, and the tools offered by CW don't fully encompass that variable, IMO.

Yes, there's multiple ways to report issues, but all of them have a challenge that prevents efficiency to some degree.

Otherwise, I work just fine with Sonar, although I still have some major gripes and issues. If X2a were the end, I could still use it for years to come. With the coming of X3, I think there was no better way with the current Cakewalk strategy to fix issues and implement new features. I just wish the two were disparate and not a package deal. 

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
joel77
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 12:02:49 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
joel77

Bob Bone

Thanks, Bob!! I'll give that a try.

Joel  Glaser
Studio 52     

God Bless America
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonar x64, Win 7 Pro, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7-930 2.86GHz dual quad core, 12GB Corsair DDL3,
Asus ATI Radion HD 4350, WD 500 GB SATA, 
Dual WD 1TB SATA HDs, ME RayDAT, Alesis HD24XR - A/D-D/A

https://www.facebook.com/...dio-52/811309178917929
www.thebrothersglaser.com
Living Room Rocker
  • Total Posts : 675
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 12:12:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Studious 2013/09/25 14:42:56
I am not sure why a problem as to be a "show stopper" in order to be regarded as serious or real.  If a feature has not been well developed and causes the user to take more time and steps to overcome its shortcomings, then using the software is no longer a 'cakewalk'.  If the maker of such software makes a promise to its customers but fails to deliver the as-advertised product features, then customer(s) are justified in expressing disappoint, frustration, criticism, etc., particularly when manufacturer does not address the product's problem.

Well, I'm a sure you get the argument here.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
Gary McCoy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 215
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 12:24:25 (permalink)

I'm going to take the "evaluate" and wait process this time...see how it goes..and 
then make a decision...rather then have to be the first on the block to have it...

It amazes me that anyone would do otherwise....
meh
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 431
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 12:47:59 (permalink)
I don't see where Cakewalk is any different than any other software vendor.  I've been wainting for MS to fix the tcp/ip stack bug for over 20 years....
This is the nature of software.

SONAR Version 2017.09
HP Z-420 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3680 @3.50ghz 
32g memory
2tb disk space 
Win2008 Server R2 Standard 64-bit
TASCAM US-1641 interface
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 13:36:54 (permalink)
MS TCP/IP stack bug? Not sure I've had any issues there. I have more issues with TCP/IP on my Macs than I do in Windows. Well, more Ethernet LAN-port issues, but more issues with Mac than Windows these days.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 13:41:51 (permalink)
Gary McCoy

It amazes me that anyone would do otherwise....

Well, somebody's gotta be the first one in the pool and I'll be cannon-balling off the high dive as soon as it's available.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

beltrom
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 14:02:44 (permalink)
cryophonik

Well, somebody's gotta be the first one in the pool and I'll be cannon-balling off the high dive as soon as it's available.

Strangely enough I might be in line behind you. I rarely upgrade early.

But I'm not in any real projects right now, X2 don't seem to be that happy on my machine (like X1d is) and I strongly suspect the Cakewalk staff has snooped around my hard drive to find precisely the stuff I might be interested in.

I do have my doubts on staying with Gibson/Tascam for different reasons, but I have reasons to stay as well. So I'll do that for now.

mmorgan
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 14:08:15 (permalink)
I've read already where Cakewalk has mentioned a free update in the works so we know, as always, there will be some issues.

I'll probably wait a week or two and watch. Then do the puchase but I'll keep X2a chugging right along.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 14:21:23 (permalink)
ekral
yevsterI don't know of any non-open-source software vendor with a public list of unresolved bugs. .

Steinberg Cubase 7 officially confirmed and logged issuesOfficial Reaper Issue Tracker

Wow! Mad props to Steinberg!
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 14:27:08 (permalink)
Living Room Rocker
I am not sure why a problem as to be a "show stopper" in order to be regarded as serious or real.  If a feature has not been well developed and causes the user to take more time and steps to overcome its shortcomings, then using the software is no longer a 'cakewalk'.  If the maker of such software makes a promise to its customers but fails to deliver the as-advertised product features, then customer(s) are justified in expressing disappoint, frustration, criticism, etc., particularly when manufacturer does not address the product's problem.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

I certainly did not mean to suggest that there aren't things in X2a that aren't problematic.  There are a couple of issues I have with Step Sequencer that driver me nuts, and the same holds true for other issues for other folks.

I was only addressing the comments about stability, with regard to show stoppers.

I believe X2a to be quite stable, and for my particular work flow, I find X2a to be quite usable, with workarounds available for almost all of the things I wish worked better.

Bob Bone

Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 14:54:33 (permalink)
I just feel so blessed and fortunate that overall, SONAR has been an amazing DAW for me, quite stable, as much as other DAWS I use like Ableton Live and Pro Tools, since SONAR 2 XL

I must just be getting really... lucky... actually, I have built systems for others and their's always quite stable. 

All DAWS have some bugs here and there. Cakewalk does make a lot of effort to fix things as much as possible.

Previous version support is quite appreciated, but it looks like they really put a lot of effort into fixing things for X3, and I actually do believe in paying for upgrades that always include bug fixes, enhancements since day 1 with Cakewalk.

Free support for a previous version and updates on it forever just does not seem reasonable.

Maybe they will do even more updates moving forward though with the new fusion with Gibson.

Either way, I have been very happy with SONAR. I have my issues with certain things, but that goes for any software I use. 

The chief engineer for writing code for SONAR, Noel Borthwick, comes into the forums pretty often (unless he is just too busy trying to make SONAR better for us). When I got into SONAR and other software, I never thought I would see the actual main person behind the engineering on a forum EVER.

X3 looking SAWWWEEET!!!

Lance

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
Studious
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 15:38:29 (permalink)
Living Room Rocker

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Well-stated.  There's such an odd divide here, with some users who defend Cakewalk like it was their mother.  They use terms like "rock solid" and anybody who thinks it requires a maintenance update is a "whiner".

Bear with me for a minute and forget the crashes, and issues caused by audio drivers, graphic cards, PC anomalies, etc... What are you are left with?  Bugs that users experience based on HOW THEY USE SONAR.  There are plenty of features I never touch in Sonar.  If somebody who does use them finds bugs that need fixing, how ridiculous am I to say, "Sonar is rock solid for me. I'm tired of people whining and jumping on the blame train."

I think the existing bugs are serious enough in Sonar X2a to have warranted updates long ago. Leaving them in the program is amateurish/negligent in my opinion.  The forthcoming official announcement would need to contain significant damage control to offset the cold shoulder of 2013.
cclarry
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/25 18:20:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Studious 2013/09/25 21:01:52
Studious
Living Room Rocker

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Well-stated.  There's such an odd divide here, with some users who defend Cakewalk like it was their mother.  They use terms like "rock solid" and anybody who thinks it requires a maintenance update is a "whiner".

Bear with me for a minute and forget the crashes, and issues caused by audio drivers, graphic cards, PC anomalies, etc... What are you are left with?  Bugs that users experience based on HOW THEY USE SONAR.  There are plenty of features I never touch in Sonar.  If somebody who does use them finds bugs that need fixing, how ridiculous am I to say, "Sonar is rock solid for me. I'm tired of people whining and jumping on the blame train."

I think the existing bugs are serious enough in Sonar X2a to have warranted updates long ago. Leaving them in the program is amateurish/negligent in my opinion.  The forthcoming official announcement would need to contain significant damage control to offset the cold shoulder of 2013.

VERY few can live "objectively"....
Most are "subjective"...this is what I USE, it's STABLE FOR ME, I don't care about YOU, shut up...

That's just reality...

And it goes on here A LOT...

ALL software has issues...I haven't used ONE PROGRAM that doesn't....
We all do things differently, on different machines, with different plugins, and different softsynths,
and different Video Cards, and sound cards, etc...

So, for someone to state their POSITIVE experience is AWESOME...that's great...
FOR someone to state that their POSITIVE experience means you should shut up...
THAT IS LUDICROUS....

Sorry...I  have to call a spade a spade...

LET PEOPLE VOICE THEIR OPINIONS....
Express yours with COURTESY...and let them make their own
minds up...

Their CONCERNS may be EVERY BIT AS VALID as your positive experience...

Please, people....be REAL...

Studious
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/28 17:00:51 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Why don't we wait till we officially announce SONAR X3 first. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves quite yet. We plan on communicating more but can we release the product first?

Fair enough, but I don't see what we were waiting on?  X3 was officially released; no mention of bug fixes; no upgrade deal for abandoned X2 users; no clearly stated commitment to the current Sonar version; no new bug reporting/viewing system.

Congratulations on the release.  Please don't hide away in another communication lock-down while working on X4.
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/28 17:11:55 (permalink)
Studious
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Why don't we wait till we officially announce SONAR X3 first. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves quite yet. We plan on communicating more but can we release the product first?

Fair enough, but I don't see what we were waiting on?  X3 was officially released; no mention of bug fixes; no upgrade deal for abandoned X2 users; no clearly stated commitment to the current Sonar version; no new bug reporting/viewing system.

Congratulations on the release.  Please don't hide away in another communication lock-down while working on X4.

Those who download X3 today get X3a, and the patch release for boxed users is slated for next week. Multiple Cakewalk employees have said in other posts that there are plans for future point releases in this cycle.

I'm not sure what you mean about abandoned. We have upgrade pricing just like we do every year. The X2a patch was the size or two normal point releases and then we moved on to do some serious under the hood work with VST3, ARA, Colors, Comping.

Our bug reporting system works pretty well for the time being though I admit there's always room for improvement. Stating that we need a new one is nice but you're not even privy to the one we currently use. If you'd like you can apply to join our Beta Team. You'll get to see some of the internal workings beyond the automatic fault reporter and the Problem Reporter on the website.
post edited by Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk] - 2013/09/28 17:27:45

Best Regards,
Seth
Studious
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/28 22:49:49 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Those who download X3 today get X3a, and the patch release for boxed users is slated for next week. Multiple Cakewalk employees have said in other posts that there are plans for future point releases in this cycle.

I'm not sure what you mean about abandoned. We have upgrade pricing just like we do every year. The X2a patch was the size or two normal point releases and then we moved on to do some serious under the hood work with VST3, ARA, Colors, Comping.

Our bug reporting system works pretty well for the time being though I admit there's always room for improvement. Stating that we need a new one is nice but you're not even privy to the one we currently use. If you'd like you can apply to join our Beta Team. You'll get to see some of the internal workings beyond the automatic fault reporter and the Problem Reporter on the website.

Hi Seth,
I meant that X2a was abandoned at the end of 2012.  We never again heard whether another bug fix was planned.

My opinion on the bug system is from a user perspective:  1) User encounters a bug, 2) User has no way to see if Cakewalk already knows about the bug, so they 3) Submit a new bug report.

This all takes time, kills workflow, and generally winds up feeling futile.  Consider the obvious alternative:

If users knew what bugs were recognized by Cakewalk Development, and what was to be fixed in the next maintenance release (assuming there will ever be one), it would streamline the system and increase confidence in the company and product.  It would also save users a lot of time and frustration in searching forums and creating detailed bug reports that are already in the system.  

Can you see where I'm coming from?
juca
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1376
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/28 23:15:11 (permalink)
I believe that the philosophy of Cokos (REAPER) should be adopted by Cakewalk.
First regarding the validity of the license of use, that there is for two versions and not one as here (and there is much cheaper the license).
Secondly, in relation to the policy of product development. The updates there are frequent and ever directly geared to the comments made ​​by users of the beta and release candidate versions.
Furthermore, there not occur the annual release of new versions. A new version is released only when updates of a version reach a final numbering, for example, 3.99, then move on to the next version.
Thus, we would have a continuous product development and users would not be burdened with annual payments of updates to a product that is not yet perfected, creating a product more robust  and fully satisfying its users.
It is my humble opinion.

****** Juca Nascimento ******
Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/28 23:43:07 (permalink)
My view is that CW is doing fine. Most of the issues I've had have been due to either inadvisable settings or the current (messy) OS environment of my PC. A few of those may or may not be avoidable or workaround-able, but only a developer with code profiling tools can do that. For sure, nothing out of the ordinary that any resource hungry application wouldn't experience.

I've really only experienced one flat-out bug, I gave the bakers precise instructions to reproduce (I double checked my own instructions...), and they easily fixed it in X2a. Can't ask for more than that.

laudem Deo
bigboi
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 260
Re: Sonar X3 release around the corner. And then...? 2013/09/29 01:08:24 (permalink)
Big question here.....same audio engine?

I7 920, 8 gigs ram, Newest gigabyte motherboard, 100 gig ssd for operating system and program files, 1 TB 7400 rpm for storage, Full V-Studio system, 2x Motu 2408 MKIII, 2x Motu 24 I/O, Maschine, Kore 2, Virus TI2, Korg m3, Novation Supernova, Novation D-station, Mo Phatt, Elektron Machine Drum, MicroKorg XL, Arturia Origin, Korg Triton, Roland jv2080-completely expanded, Avalon 737SP, 3 Sony premiere monitors, 2 event 20/20 studio monitors, Autotune AVP1, TC Helicon Voiceworks, 1 TC Electronics Powercore 6000, 1 Powercore Firewire
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1