Helpful ReplySonar alternatives more in-depth

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 21:20:01 (permalink)
Yes scripting can certainly be done in Studio One:

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=26397

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 21:22:33 (permalink)
batsbrew
i use a daw............. any daw.....
as a glorified tape machine.

Any DAW should work for you then. So, why are you reading all these threads?

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 21:36:38 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Yes scripting can certainly be done in Studio One:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=26397

Thanks.
Yes, unlike Macro that is at the CAL level.
But I am curious it has a bit more similarity with CAL then I would expect in this case, I mean:
"This is an undocumented and unofficial "feature" so please treat it as such and don't expect any official support."
So, is that official thing or just a kind of RE?

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 22:08:03 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Thanks tenfoot for your response.  Yes instrument definitions come up quite often.  For me personally I don't use them or care for them.  I personally find using the same sounds in the same locations as boring and not very smart. (the great Edgar Froese from Tangerine Dream also said the same.)  In all my hardware synths I rarely use the same sounds anyway.  I have got many thousands of sounds for synths like the Roland JD800, not just the standard 64 that are in there.  So its best to audition them in my opinion and find the sounds one is after.  Or edit them, or better still make new sounds for every project that you do.  Even just finding a factory preset, maybe doing an edit on it and just using it as is.  Most synths in fact will retain the sound and edit even after switch off and back on again the next day.  Instrument definitions cannot cope with that.

Again Jeff, this comment demonstrates a very basic and unimaginative understanding of what midi can be used to control. Recalling patches is a very basic function of midi. Also, no one uses the same sounds over and over again (and is a peffect example of a straw man logical falacy). I imagine, however, that most producers who really know their hardware have sounds in mind that would make a good starting point or production would be an extraordinarily slow process. Perhaps you have very patient clients:)

Jeff Evans

Studio One can still send bank and program changes if you want to do sound switching in the middle of the music. Or though these days it is not so required.  One should also be converting midi to audio anyway at some point too.

Again, switching sounds is a very basic function. Try switching banks and scenes on a DMX controller at the rate of 16 changes per bar for a chase scene with 16 x aftertouch arcs to control each axis on 32 moving head lights, then tell me again how capable studio ones midi is:)

Agreed, midi should certainly be converted to Audio at some point. Again, very basic stuff.

Jeff Evans

Tha Macro abilities of Studio One are also way better than the CAL scripts in Sonar.  They are way too hard in my opinion.  Creating macros in Studio One is a breeze.  That is a really powerful feature of Studio One.  There are tons of them already done as well you can freely download from the Presonus exchange.  Another thing that is rather unique to Studio One. 

Comparing Macros in Studio One (simple and limited strings of existing commands) of to CAL programming in Sonar tells me that you have little experience with CAL. 

I really appreciate that you put a lot of time into helping people starting out with Studio one. Evangelical effusive praise in the absence of understanding the issue however doesn't serve anyone. Nor does dismissing a function that S1 doesnt have because ' you don't care for it', when really, your description of it merely demonstrates that you dont understand the depth of its uses.

Consider for one second that there are people in the world who use midi to a much deeper level than you do to control devices you have no familiarity with. Repeatedly saying complex midi editing is possible in  S1 then using simplistic examples is misleading, even if well intentioned and not willfully ignorant.

Thanks for the tips on the videos. I will certainly check them out!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 22:16:27 (permalink)
chris.r
...if you care enough to dig into details, what other DAWs support those features? Please answer only if you're sure you know your new DAW and their feature equivalents good enough. Also you can specify any alternatives if it makes sense, because I understand that it's not possible to carry exactly same feature set 1 by 1 from one DAW to another...

Are you planning to put all the info you receive into a table and make it public? If so, that would be very useful to a lot of people.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 22:18:32 (permalink)
To be clear, I certainly do not want to put anyone off Studio One. It is truly excellent, and its midi functionality will be just fine for most users. These limitations will only be an issue for a small base of users with specific midi needs.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Jeff Evans
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 22:20:07 (permalink)
Midi was deigned for music and best used so. To say that it lacks the midi features required to switch a complex lighting situations rather absurd. The fact it does other things is only a bonus. Studio One does not have to be concerned with other uses. 

Studio One offers scripting and yes I am very familiar with scripting and macros. Studio One is good at both.

I still don't think you have been using Studio One for long. That certainly shows. It is still much more powerful and deeper than you and most people realise. It requires a different thinking approach.  Difficult for those who have been stuck in a blinkered Sonar kind of way.

At the end of the day when you are doing this professionally (Which I have been doing now for 37 tears) i.e. getting paid to so what I do, its all about what the client thinks when they sit back and listen to your stereo mix. They are certainly not wondering what DAW you used. I realise that not everyone is doing it professionally either but it is interesting that last statement. It is the music that counts.

Studio One (and many other DAW's) can certainly achieve a very professional result and that is really all that counts. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 22:31:31 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Midi was deigned for music and best used so. To say that it lacks the midi features required to switch a complex lighting situations rather absurd.

No, it is just beyond your understanding. Both Sonar and Cubase have features that make the process pretty straightforward. To blindly defend a program that does not is what's absurd. Perhaps you might want to check your own blinkers. 

Your tone has me more and more convinced you may well be a teacher, not quite adept at convercing with other professionals who disagree with you:)

Bruce.

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 22:51:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2017/12/28 23:06:00
In my 2 1/2 years or so journey with Studio One(since S13 release) since I jumped ship from SONAR Platinum, I have found that Studio One is capable of quite a bit more than the user manual would suggest, the manual is not the best, it gets you off and running if you need it, but it needs to have more depth put into it.

As far as Midi goes it's the same, there is more than meets the eye, not as much as some other DAWs there is no doubt. Whether it is deep enough for a persons use depends on what they use it for, what they need. For me it does everything I need and more, but I'm not deeply involved in the Midi side apart from programing drums, keyboards/synths etc (all in the box). But for others such as Tenfoot who's use goes beyond that, it may be seen as lacking, and it is no secret, most people know and will admit that while being more than sufficient for one groups use, it comes in short for others, that's just how it is at this moment in time.

For me and my use, there is nothing I can't do in Studio One that I want or need to do, there is nothing I miss from SONAR, but there would be a lot I would miss from Studio One, for others it may be the other way around, again that's just how it is.

With SONAR, the fact is it is dead, it's gone as far as it is going to go, forum member SimpleManZ made a comment which is very true and worthy of thought

To me what is most important, is not what Sonar does but what it cannot do.
And cannot do is the future. (SimpleManZ)

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 23:08:01 (permalink)
All absolutely true Matron. There is certainly no future in clinging to a sinking ship, however slowly it goes down:)

Bruce.

Jeff Evans
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 23:15:47 (permalink)
I have been working with professionals for the last 37 years and many have not agreed with me so you are way off base there!!! 

I do teach but only one day a week teaching music in a private school residential college.  I am working with 15 year olds teaching them music.  I am highly regarded in that role by the way and it is not a money thing so much either.  I really love the job and it is good to get out of the studio.

It is very simple really and I am not interested in getting into an argument either.  If Studio One won't do what you need it to do then simply find a DAW that will.  Sounds like Cubase might be for you.

Just out of interest many Cubase users have migrated over to Studio One as well.  Wonder why that may be.  And there are tons of ex Sonar users that love it more than Sonar too.

You still have not said how long you have been using Studio One as well. Sounds like to me not that long. And yes Matron is right about the manual. It is not a good indictor of what Studio One can do. I wish they would update it a bit more often. Hopefully they will. The Groove 3 video on Recording and Editing Midi is excellent too BTW.

tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 23:43:36 (permalink)
Good to know Jeff:) As I have said many times, I really like Studio One. There are many other programs, Sonar included, to which I can switch if I need to do more complex midi editing. It is just good practice when making reccomendations to acnowledge any programs strengths and weakness, no matter how much it suts our own purposes, rather than dismiss those who's needs may be more involved, lest they be dissapointed.

As we have learned from Sonar, prosletising what we are familiar with in the face of evidence to the contrary doesn't help anything evolve,  and rarely ends well. Given the rapid advancement of S1, I am sure Presonus are well aware of its limitations and will have exciting developments planned for its future.

Bruce.

Jeff Evans
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/28 23:57:49 (permalink)
There does not seem to be a reason why you fellas cannot keep using Sonar anyway.  Unless there is something I am not privy to such as does it ping the server every now and then to ensure you are still valid.  I have heard both sides of that story so I am not sure about that one.

We are due for a Studio One update V4 and they say it will be in 2018.  When they do a major like that it will often contain a lot of new features too.  Some say the midi side may not get a lot better but then again you never know either.  Many have have been asking for it and they do listen and often put the largely requested things in.

I cannot quite remember either where it is but I will look for it.  Someone has created an add on script that extends midi functionality a lot.  It is not a standard thing but I have heard it is reliable and fully stable too.  It contains many things people have been wanting for a long time.  It free too from memory.

tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 00:05:49 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
There does not seem to be a reason why you fellas cannot keep using Sonar anyway.  Unless there is something I am not privy to such 
I cannot quite remember either where it is but I will look for it.  Someone has created an add on script that extends midi functionality a lot.  It is not a standard thing but I have heard it is reliable and fully stable too.  It contains many things people have been wanting for a long time.  It free too from memory.

I have been chasing Studio One X midi scripts for a while, but am yet to find a version that will download and install. I would love to check it out!

Bruce.

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 00:09:05 (permalink)
tenfoot

prosletising

Thank you, I had to look that up, I now have a new word

One would think they would be aware of it's limitations, they should be at least, I guess it comes down to what they give priority to, hopefully they get it right for the majority. Me, I am easily pleased, as long as they keep it fast, and stable like it is and keep moving forward I'll be happy .

It's probably over my head and perhaps out of my usage realm, but the new Midi stuff that Mr Anderton mentioned that will be unleashed in 2018 might be something to keep an eye on, don't know any details other than it's coming in 2018, but he seemed excited about it.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Jeff Evans
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 00:13:37 (permalink)
I think Studio One X is no longer. I just did some searching. You can still get to a link that has a lot of downloads but right now there is not a lot of info as to what they are etc.. Or how to install. Windows only too.

tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 00:41:38 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
tenfoot

prosletising

Thank you, I had to look that up, I now have a new word

One would think they would be aware of it's limitations, they should be at least, I guess it comes down to what they give priority to, hopefully they get it right for the majority. Me, I am easily pleased, as long as they keep it fast, and stable like it is and keep moving forward I'll be happy .

It's probably over my head and perhaps out of my usage realm, but the new Midi stuff that Mr Anderton mentioned that will be unleashed in 2018 might be something to keep an eye on, don't know any details other than it's coming in 2018, but he seemed excited about it.

Haha - you are very welcome:) I would not want to trade the speed of Studio One for any functionality either. Clean and fast is how we like it. That is probably the most notable difference to Sonar. That, and everything works! Perhaps if I had listened to the Matron sooner:)

I will certainly keep an eye on upcoming developments. 

Bruce.

tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 00:44:33 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I think Studio One X is no longer. I just did some searching. You can still get to a link that has a lot of downloads but right now there is not a lot of info as to what they are etc.. Or how to install. Windows only too.

Thanks Jeff. I had a play with a few downloads on my windows machine but couldn't work it out.

Bruce.

chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 03:32:00 (permalink)
Kev999
Are you planning to put all the info you receive into a table and make it public? If so, that would be very useful to a lot of people.

Yes I'm thinking of doing that but it makes sense only when I get more comprehensive info about most of the major DAWs. I got Reaper covered resonably fine so far and waiting for details about Cubase.
chris.r
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 03:39:34 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Midi was deigned for music and best used so (...)

Studio One (and many other DAW's) can certainly achieve a very professional result and that is really all that counts.

Absolutely agree on achieving professional results in Studio One as well as in Sonar, Cubase, Reaper or any other DAW. If it's only about creating music I would be able to have it done even on my mobile phone or an old tape recorder.

But the next day I can get a quick job, like clearing a bunch of live MIDI recorded piano tracks and make them ready for printing as sheet music. That would involve some quick cleaning from ghost notes, using CAL scripts to delete doubled notes or do some advanced quantizing or to tie notes (make legato). Make a tempo map. Sometimes work on left and right hand performance - separate them into two tracks, then display them in one piano roll in different colors to see both hands at once and be able to make few arbitrary edits on notes/chords.

The next day I may need to work on vocal tracks and may want to use comping or vocalsync. Or replace a kick drum of poorly made multitrack drum recording. Correct timing issues within band members i.e. isolate drummer's feel and paste it onto bassman track.

Then I may need to adapt a synth performance full of CC data to a different synth with different MIDI mapping. Or even shape/smoothout the knobs moves of the player. When working in arrange window I rarely have clips aligned to the grid, when I want to move them I use the precious Snap By to keep their offset. Groove-looping comes here handy too.

Then I want to mix something and I want to have few of my trusted 32bit plugins in 64bit DAW at the hand. Of course at some point I may need to freeze some tracks. When my client asks for preview I want to quickly select a portion of a mix and export it to mp3 or flac.

Those are just some everyday basics for me... I mean DAW is a DAW, one day it's working for you the other day for your client. I would prefer to do it all in one DAW. I was doing fine in Sonar. I will keep it using but if there comes the time to move on I would like to know where is my next step.
post edited by chris.r - 2017/12/29 05:43:20
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 04:44:29 (permalink)
Wrong Mindset. Don't stuck with your old DAW. Allow yourself to discover the capabilities of a new DAW. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
Jeff Evans
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 07:16:02 (permalink)
I did some detective work and it seems Studio One X is off the map now.  It was all happening a while back and people were downloading and installing but now it seems to have disappeared. Maybe Presonus was not too happy about it, not sure. Hopefully they took some of the ideas and have implemented them. 

tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 08:49:28 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I did some detective work and it seems Studio One X is off the map now.  It was all happening a while back and people were downloading and installing but now it seems to have disappeared. Maybe Presonus was not too happy about it, not sure. Hopefully they took some of the ideas and have implemented them. 

Thanks for the info Jeff. Fingers crossed that they didn't want the thunder of their new v4 midi features stolen:)

Bruce.

whitealbum
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 10:16:26 (permalink)
Hi chris.r,
just send you the BIG answer list for Cubase 9.5 Pro to your questions.
Hope it helps you :)

Cubase Pro 9.5 64 Bit | CBB | Samplitude ProX3 | Win7 64 | Gigabyte X99 UD7 WiFi | I7 5820K | RME ADI-2 via spdif RME Fireface UC | 32 GB RAM
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 14:01:14 (permalink)
Tenfoot/Jeff,

I would say that Studio One covers 90% of your midi needs if you are primarily ITB. The missing 10% can be covered by adding a plugin (for step sequencing, if you are into that sort of thing) or doing without (Cubase expression maps). We didn't have expression maps in Sonar and we did just fine.

If you have external synths, then it is very convenient to be able to access and control them using all of their parameters, and Cakewalk made this very easy through Instrument Definitions. I don't know what other DAW can do this in a similar manner, with the same functionality. Perhaps Cubase?

On the other hand, if you can do what you need in Studio One, it is a whole lot more streamlined to use than Cubase. In the long run, and in daily use, that counts for a lot in my book.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 15:49:57 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

As per this thread, the "X" extensions have expired and have been abandoned (for public use).
I don't quite get the developer's attitude, but it's his IP.
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/studio-one-x.61910/

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Mitch_I
  • Total Posts : 212
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 17:15:10 (permalink)
I just noticed this DAW feature comparison site mentioned in KVR. I haven't seen anything more detailed in a long time.

https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/DAW-Chart.html
tenfoot
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/29 23:19:38 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

As per this thread, the "X" extensions have expired and have been abandoned (for public use).
I don't quite get the developer's attitude, but it's his IP.
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/studio-one-x.61910/

Thanks Jim. Wow - that is odd. Dev spits dummy and demands more love! He should run for president:)

Bruce.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Sonar alternatives more in-depth 2017/12/30 23:12:52 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

Same goes for Studio One Toolkit. Looks like v3 changed to the point of making those utilities unusable, tho v3 seems to have adopted some of the color options from Toolkit. It's also possible PreSonus asked them to stop.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1