Sonar dissed once again

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/11/22 00:03:33 (permalink)
Pro Tools (the Mac Version?)
Cubase (On a Mac?)
Nuendo (On a G5, right?)
Digital Performer (Let me guess...)
Ableton (I'll leave that one up to you...)

Well, that leaves Acid, which is one of the reasons people started bringing PC's in studios (along with GigaSampler).

More seriously, as a long time user, I've seen Cakewalk gain tremendous respect over the last few years... I no longer get "that" look from, say, Digital Performer users when I mention Sonar; quite something when you've experienced what us Pro Audio users used to go through in the old days. It's like people are finally understanding that these are just tools. But this only gets us that far... After a moment, the debate starts again - and 90% of the time, it all comes down to the old Mac vs PC thing. Still, we've come a long way.

post edited by Rain - 2005/11/22 00:04:08

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Razz
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/11/22 00:49:34 (permalink)
It's always the same shot heard round the world.

I do 3d design and animation as well, and its always the same thing over at the CG forums. A battle between 3dstudiomax, and Maya etc.

What's fun is what I call the "taste test" you post an image asking for comments without stating which app was used in the creation of the image. And you get post after post of rave reviews until you ultimately tell them which app you used. Suddenly those who gave rave reviews but use a different app now find flaw after flaw. And when you view the profile of those users it's usually the same story.. Designing for 30 years (even though they are only 17). Master of their chosen application (yet their requests for help are of a elementary nature). Studio owner that's up to their neck in commercial production (yet their displayed work is far from commercially acceptable). And their application RULZES!!! all other SUX!!!

Its a kind of stage I call "beginner software groupieizm"

You'll find it here, there, in the web design field, in the graphics design field, in the flash animation field. It's everywhere. Even in this thread were seeing Magazine groupieizm.. Regardless of the fact that you can simply thumb threw past issues of Recording magazine and find reviews of cakewalk software mostly good ones too. Some simply don't care. They said there's no reviews, so there's no reviews, end of story.

Reminds me of my brother, he's notorious for saying things like "I'll be there in 5 minutes." even though he is literally geographically 30 minutes away. And when he finally shows up he will still, even then swear that it only took him 5 minutes..Even if you point to the clock he'll simply state that the clock is wrong.... His belief in what he says is so strong and regardless of whether he's realistically wright or wrong. He just won't budge.

It's odd human behavior to say the least...

I often wondered what would happen if someone chained him down and forced him to acknowledge the facts before him. I think his head would blow off... That would be to devastating to the world as he knows it...
anton harris
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/11/22 01:46:52 (permalink)
I get Future Music every month and nothing will ever shift Ableton Live off the top of their charts and I mean nothing. Now either it is the dogs balls they say it is or I'm missing something. Wouldn't swap it or anything else for my S5.

The FM Charts are based on their own reviews and the best they have looked at over the last 18 Months. Here is their November Best Sequencer Chart:-

01 - Ableton Live 5
02 - Apple Logic Pro 7.1
03 - Pro-Tools M-Powered

WHAT????? P.T .M.P over Sonar?? WTF!!!

A computer,
a drumkit,
a voice,
a little little bit of talent,
www.myspace.com/antzmalandluke

Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/11/22 02:08:10 (permalink)
my friends album was recorded on sonar, went top 20, i toured all over europe on the record. Sonar is a pro app, and is as good as any other, period. It is simply all a matter of what works best for each user. They are all amazing programs. Im sure i would be able to make great music on any one of them, but I like sonar, why switch? I was sold on it by a friend that mentioned how user friendly it is while being just as "pro" as all of the others. Who doesnt want something to be user friendly? i sure do... and sonar is pro enugh where I dont think Ill ever incorporate everything into my recording, which means it is more than enough :)
anton harris
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/11/22 02:52:17 (permalink)
I was sold on it by a friend that mentioned how user friendly it is while being just as "pro" as all of the others. Who doesnt want something to be user friendly? i sure do... and sonar is pro enugh where I dont think Ill ever incorporate everything into my recording, which means it is more than enough :)
Ditto!!! And good on ya for chipping in<Best<Antz

A computer,
a drumkit,
a voice,
a little little bit of talent,
www.myspace.com/antzmalandluke

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/11/23 23:16:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: CAW

Just got my December 05 copy of Recording Magazine and they have an article called "Why is my DAW My DAW" where they interview contributing writers and ask them to talk about their personal DAW's and why they chose them. The DAWs Represented are:

Digidesign Pro Tools(not once but three times),
Cubase (not once but twice)
Nuendo,
Digital Performer, and
Ableton Live with Acid Pro.

Eight contributing writers of Recording and not a single one using Sonar.

you know ... i think this is ridiculous ... i just got my issue today....

and, as Sonar users, i think we should voice out ... you can send an email to:

talkback@recordingmag.com

i already sent one in... the omission of Sonar should be duly noted ....

give 'em sh*t.... sometimes i don't think they realize how many people use
SONAR. .. and as the only product with *both* 64bit audiopipeline and a
64bit executable option .. they should take it more seriously.

jeff

post edited by jmarkham - 2005/11/23 23:17:30
eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/11/24 11:50:02 (permalink)
The issue at hand, is that Abbleton Live is #1. Samplitude isn't even on the list.......

Don't let that influence you. I use Samplitude Master in addition to S5. Like S5, it is an *excellent* program. It's object oriented paradigm was light years ahead of its time. As a software engineer I find it totally logical, everything just works the way I would expect it to. And the GUI is a smooth as silk even during playback, and always has been. Many DAW programs are just starting to incorporate features that Samplitude has had for more than 7 years. S5 and Samplitude Master work well together.

However, when SONAR adds integrated CD burning, clip groups, and bundles a complete suite of mastering tools, I may drop it. I have this vision of a future SONAR version where the concept of a CD mastering project is integrated. Each clip is the result of a song mixdown, and should the mastering step indicate that you need to revisit the source project, you'd just double click on the song clip to open the project. You'd then re-mix it and exit and the results would be auto-imported into the CD mastering project. Talk about a workflow improvement!
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/01 15:04:05 (permalink)
FYI,
The editor of Recording wrote back to me after my letter... i think it's
a lame excuse .. but .....

Jeff, thanks for writing. I can assure you that we're well aware of SONAR's capabilities,
and so are our readers. We've given the program much editorial exposure over time.
For a variety of reasons, in the context of the December issue it wasn't possible to include it.

Happy holidays

Lorenz Rychner
Editor, RECORDING

In a message dated 11/30/05 3:13:33 PM, jeff@zzzz.com writes:

> Dear Editors,
> While I felt the reviewers of the software systems
> (which made your list for the article) were on-spot, I
> found the omission of Cakewalk's SONAR 5 to be quite
> glaring. While each package has its strengths and
> weaknesses, SONAR 5 is a product worthy of inclusion.
> In fact, it's the only shipping product with a full 64
> bit audio pipeline and currently offering a 64bit
> executable. It may have its roots as a MIDI editor, it
> should be taken very seriously in the audio and loop
> arena; particularly as multi-processor, multi-core
> systems become more prevalent. SONAR's 64bit audio
> pipeline has significant (and audible) advantages
> over 48 fixed point and 32 bit floating point
> pipelines
> and their use of mainstream multi-processing
> technology nearly rivals that of proprietary hardware
> acceleration. A horse to watch for sure.
> Sincerely,
> Jeff Markham
> On The Mark Music

TheFingers
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1669
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/01 16:56:19 (permalink)
I don't see it as a diss, tomhan is well spoken on this....and when the non-believers hear S5, they too will know.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
rodreb
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/01 17:25:57 (permalink)
Ha Ha! I got a carbon copy of your resonse from them (see below) . Maybe it's a standard issue SONAR form letter????? Ha Ha!!

ROD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rod, thanks for writing.

I can assure you that we're well aware of SONAR's capabilities, and our regular readers know that. We've given the program much editorial exposure over time, and if you read the magazine regularly you'll know that several of our main contributors use SONAR professionally and mention it frequently in their articles. For a variety of reasons, in the context of the December issue it wasn't possible to include it.

Happy holidays

Lorenz Rychner
Editor, RECORDING

In a message dated 11/30/05 9:24:36 PM, rodreb writes:

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
rodreb on November 21st, 2005 at 09:21AM (MST).

Name: Rod L. Short

State: Ohio

Additional_Comments: In "Why my DAW is my DAW"..... not a single one
of you people are using SONAR??????

We SONAR users buy a lot of your magazines and none of you people
seem to have an in depth, working knowledge of SONAR???

Interesting!

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/01 18:25:17 (permalink)
hey .. if anybody else gets a carbon copy response .. lemme know .. it would be amusing
to reply with a carbon copy response our own bad selves ;-)
jeff
jmcelroy
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/01 20:44:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Gerry

I get Future Music every month and nothing will ever shift Ableton Live off the top of their charts and I mean nothing. Now either it is the dogs balls they say it is or I'm missing something. Wouldn't swap it or anything else for my S5.

Gerry

I played with Ableton Live for a bit and I have to admit it has the greatest interface I've ever seen. I quickly fell in love with it and felt like I was fingerpainting or something whenever I made music. Then I was about to buy it and I realized that they don't support Direct X plugins, and don't intend to, and apparently have sketchy support for waves, which they didn't respond to in an email I sent them. So, that was the end of the love affair.

In other news, my copy of Sonar 5 PE arrived this afternoon.
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/02 05:48:47 (permalink)
However, when SONAR adds integrated CD burning, clip groups, and bundles a complete suite of mastering tools, I may drop it. I have this vision of a future SONAR version where the concept of a CD mastering project is integrated. Each clip is the result of a song mixdown, and should the mastering step indicate that you need to revisit the source project, you'd just double click on the song clip to open the project. You'd then re-mix it and exit and the results would be auto-imported into the CD mastering project. Talk about a workflow improvement!

Too true, they'd have a sequoia-killer then for sure!
rm5700@optonline.net
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/02 06:17:33 (permalink)
This is a tiny bit off topic, (not really but anyways) only for arguments sake:

This is alot like the arguments made for 3d software, where Lightwave 3D gets trashed a lot even though it is around and used for major movies, TV, etc.

But it's the big bucks doing the talking, more advertising, etc. Even if a studio uses a program, they might not mention it if they get ...say 100 seats of Maya for 1/2 price to do a film with. They will overlook the one that is less $$$ in the credits.... even though someone actually might be using it on the same movie, in some way or other.

Same sort of thing (in a way) goes for Sonar I believe, just in a musical recording sense.

Ok back to the topic haha

Sonar X3 Producer, Toxic Biohazard IV, Rayblaster, Minimonsta, OP-X Pro II, kHS ONE, Melodyne Editor, Saurus, ElectraX, LuSH-101, Gladiator 2, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Wusikstation 7,  Nemesis, impOSCar2, Sampletank2xl, SonikSynth2,  Battery 3,  M-Audio Oxygene 25 and Audiophile 2496   
http://soundcloud.com/examigan 

ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/03 15:11:02 (permalink)

This is alot like the arguments made for 3d software, where Lightwave 3D gets trashed a lot even though it is around and used for major movies, TV, etc.

But it's the big bucks doing the talking, more advertising, etc. Even if a studio uses a program, they might not mention it if they get ...say 100 seats of Maya for 1/2 price to do a film with. They will overlook the one that is less $$$ in the credits.... even though someone actually might be using it on the same movie, in some way or other.

Same sort of thing (in a way) goes for Sonar I believe, just in a musical recording sense.

Hmm, I used 3Dstudio max (as a hobby), and although I can't directly compare with lightwave (all the CG for the old babylon 5 series were made in that weren't they?) as these packages are FAR to expensive to have a few 'at hand', I can comfortably say...

in the Demo of Maya I tried once, it's particle extensions, and the fact that you could "paint" trees, hair, whatever onto objects in realtime completely blows away anything else I've seen. even reading online turorials about all the 3d packages, nothing comes close to some of Maya's features. Although I do think that studio Max's NURBS implementation was more logically thought out, probably because I was used to it, and Maya's interface was all new to me.

Anyway, sorry, back to the topic at hand!!
rm5700@optonline.net
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/11 20:40:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

..in the Demo of Maya I tried once, it's particle extensions, and the fact that you could "paint" trees, hair, whatever onto objects in realtime completely blows away anything else I've seen. even reading online turorials about all the 3d packages, nothing comes close to some of Maya's features. Although I do think that studio Max's NURBS implementation was more logically thought out, probably because I was used to it, and Maya's interface was all new to me.

Well...did you know Lightwave 9 is about to come out and is only going to be $795? How much are those other packages? Nothing comes close...well, to the price at least!! Also you can have a render farm setup, and have it render across that bunch of computers and not have to have a seperate paid version of the program on each one. You have to pay for each one with most 3d packages.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9featureprelim.php

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.php

and here is a the pricing page for Maya:
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/eng/products-services/maya/pricing.shtml

Sonar X3 Producer, Toxic Biohazard IV, Rayblaster, Minimonsta, OP-X Pro II, kHS ONE, Melodyne Editor, Saurus, ElectraX, LuSH-101, Gladiator 2, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Wusikstation 7,  Nemesis, impOSCar2, Sampletank2xl, SonikSynth2,  Battery 3,  M-Audio Oxygene 25 and Audiophile 2496   
http://soundcloud.com/examigan 

Razz
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
RE: Sonar dissed once again 2005/12/11 21:04:19 (permalink)
For most you don't need a sperate liscence for each installation when used to render in a render farm environment You dont need to liscence them at all. just install. You dont actually open up the software on render slaves.

Just install it, and send frames to it, if the main workstation is liscened. It will send the frames and accept them back. The slaves will do as thier told.

This is totally way off topic BUT lol
in the Demo of Maya I tried once, it's particle extensions, and the fact that you could "paint" trees, hair, whatever onto objects in realtime completely blows away anything else I've seen. even reading online turorials about all the 3d packages, nothing comes close to some of Maya's features. Although I do think that studio Max's NURBS implementation was more logically thought out, probably because I was used to it, and Maya's interface was all new to me.

This is a quote from Allan McKay. If you've seen virtually any movie or tv commercials in the last 5 years with an emphasis on partical FX then you've seen his work. Actaully I would be willing to guarentee that every member on this forum has seen his work.. And when he speaks about particals the gaming/movie/specialFX industries listen.

Personally I think Maya's falling really far behind in terms of functionality. Pflow is geared more towards being a houdini_lite in comparison to maya, which honestly without expressions/scripting it's the equivilent of parray But the real key feature is the fact it's so fast with particles and it's so open to scripting (and fast at calculating the scripts/expressions).
Personally I'll use maya for jobs that are heavily scripted as (right now, until a soon to be released pflow tools box set fixes this) doing anything complex like scripting gets quite slow in pflow. But in general, complex particle set ups are much easier in max than maya.

For you 3d junkies the thread can be found here..
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=114324&page=1&pp=15
prepare yourself its quite extensive... Allan jumps in about page 10.. There is alot to be learned in that thread. Regardless of the package used....

why am posting this in an audio forum ??????? heh someone call the posting police the 3d guys are hijacking the thread! Dammit!! and now I'm doing the whole 3d package groopie thing!!!!

<---loyal maxman
post edited by Razz - 2005/12/12 00:44:00
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1