Helpful ReplySonar for Mac OSX

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 00:42:01 (permalink)
Anderton
I ran Mac only from 1985 to 1995. Then I discovered that Windows could do more for less money. Since that time, I've run both Mac and Windows, both laptop and desktop. 

Honestly, I see very little difference between the two these days. I use Windows for the heavy lifting with audio and video, and the Mac for office work, writing, and publishing. There are still a few points of differentiation; if you're savvy, you can get more performance out of a Windows machine for less money, they're easier to repair/replace, and they're better at backwards compatibility. Macs are easier in terms of hooking up peripherals, have better audio handling, and are pretty much essential for publishing. But the reality is the Mac isn't as special as Mac people think it is; and with RISC gone on the Mac, Windows machines don't have the kind of performance edge they once did.

When you buy into Apple, you need to do it with eyes open. Apple makes money on the hardware, so they'll make sure you need to upgrade hardware periodically. Microsoft makes money on software, so they want to make sure it runs on anything...and as many SONAR users have found out, just because you can open Windows doesn't make it an ideal environment for running SONAR.

It's all good. Except, of course, for when either OS is having a hissy fit. Then it's all bad.

Craig is absolutely spot on. I run both Mac and Windows as well. The last time I bought a Mac laptop was in 2001, when the Macbook Pro was pretty much the fastest intel based machine I could get my hands ont - though it was still massively overpriced. I bought an iMac a few years back - but it too has recently been replaced by a hp Recline - with a touchscreen!  Unheard of in macland. I bootcamped the imac and run it as a windows media server;) Even areas where Macs are the norm - such as graphic design - I still find windows every bit as good - and often faster. Since windows 7, a well tuned windows machine is every bit as stable as a mac. Bang for buck there is no contest.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
KIKO CUETO
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 03:25:01 (permalink)
Rain
gothic.angel

things like "OSX is actually significantly better at handling audio and midi" are old wearisome LEGENDS...

Incorrect.

One exemple - I actually get better performance and latency from my audio interface using Apple's own default Core Audio drivers than with the manufacturer's drivers. Tested and verified time and time again, with my old M-Audio and my current Focusrite interface.

Heck, my old Fast Track can no longer be used with recent version of OSX - unless I wipe AVID/M-Audio's drivers and let OSX take care of handling it... 

Another exemple: Apple have allowed for low-latency audio on their phones and tablets for years. Alternatives are just catching up - see IK Multimedia's recent announcement.

The fact is that Apple has always placed a very strong focus on audio and video - and it's a fact, regardless of whether one likes Apple or not. They're selling systems with audio applications on them such as Garage Band which have to work out of the box. And they do.

They have their own DAW, Logic, which is a top notch audio application, with an all-star line of synths and processors. They have MainStage, which is one of the most widely used host application on stages around the world. And they've just acquired Camel Audio. Clearly, Apple loves multimedia, and they're selling you an experience.

That's where the difference lies - you buy a computer from them, and you're ready to go*. No need to download drivers and install tons of 3rd party tools - everything is integrated. Now, you don't have to like that, and some people prefer custom, and that's alright. But you can't disregard facts.

Last Mac I bought, it took me something like 2 or 3 hours, from the moment I walked in the store to the time I was home, launching my DAW with all its 40GB of content installed. Never had to worry about such things as optimization - unless running Pro Tools which is not the greatest in terms of performance.

* On the other hand, as Mr. Anderton pointed out, the latest incarnations of OSX certainly have lost their simplicity for us audio and video guys. It used to be that you'd pick up a Mac off the shelf, install your DAW software and be good to go. 

With Yosemite, and to a lesser extent most OSX revisions since Lion, that's no longer true. If I could buy a few dozen pre-Yosemite computers for the future, I'd do so. 

None of this, obviously, takes anything away from Sonar on a PC. It's a different mean to an end, period.

Estoy totalmente deacuerdo con tu respuesta, si un equipo en mac esta configurado para funcionar bien, ya no te tienes que preocupar en configuraciones, en Windows si te montas un pc a tu decisión, y verificado por windows, esto en este escenario no se cumple en windows....
Lo unico que uno aficionado quiere es pasarlo bien, encender el sistema y crear musica de todos los colores, sin mas preocupaciones. 
gothic.angel
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 572
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 09:57:44 (permalink)
Rain

That's NOT what I said if you read what I wrote instead of cherry picking the parts that confirm your own bias. Let's stick with facts - no one benefits from propaganda, whether it's for or against Apple.

Audio and MIDI handling are by far better handled on OSX - that valid even on Yosemite. Even Mr. Anderton's posts confirm that.

What Yosemite change is that it's now closer to Windows in terms of needing to be optimized - having some eye candy turned off for example. THAT's the novelty. Overall computer performance out of the box - not audio and MIDI per se.

Being commonplace doesn't make it any less true - the very vast majority of pro commercial studios, big time productions (such as Cirque du Soleil shows) and major league artists such as Nine Inch Nails are ALL using Mac. These are productions and facilities that generate millions every year and provide jobs for countless people. 

Other than on an anecdotal basis here or there, PC's did not replace Mac and nothing indicates that they will anytime soon - they simply answer the needs of another clientele, often consisting of self-employed independent or small operations or aspiring musicians. And then some big facilities, obviously. As a whole, it does account for a large market.

So there's room for both.

Rain,

nothing to do with what you  specifically said...
just pointing out that these days there's no real big difference between Win and Mac in dealing with Audio and MIDI... therefore my meaning of those "commonplaces" that don't really make sense ANY longer... that's my meaning and my view.... 

far as the "commercial studios" deal.... yes, Mac WAS the most natural choice in those times when the industry "standard" began, but again, NOWADAYS it has nothing to do with performances or quality. It's because Macs (and Pro Tools...) were there at the right time in the right place, and today it's still "rooted tradition"...

In the meantime, Windows PC have become capable of much more powerful configurations, and recent Apple's market "strategies" mainly focused on i-Things and their relative targets have led a certain amount of customers (and studios...) to open their eyes....

Then personal experience: I work with Windows, and I happen to work with Macs with some of my colleague's too...
Well, of course BOTH have issues, but when it comes to performances, Macs become poor thing...
Apple LOGIC (especially since v8..) is buggy as hell (so it's not brilliant exception among DAWs), Cubase, Ableton Live and Propellerhead Reason run MUCH more fluently and smoothly on Windows...!!!
Ableton Live, in particular, crashes  on Macs as I never see on Windows...

And let me add, just as a personal consideration, that Windows has a certain DAW called SAMPLITUDE/SEQUOIA...
..audio editing (in particular...) at its VERY BEST...!!!
Depeche Mode (their engineers), just for instance, recorded their last tour performances on it.....
quite "professional" I would say...

So it's true, in the end, there's actually room for both platforms.

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

gothic.angel
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 10:52:53 (permalink)
Anderton
I ran Mac only from 1985 to 1995. Then I discovered that Windows could do more for less money. Since that time, I've run both Mac and Windows, both laptop and desktop. 

Honestly, I see very little difference between the two these days. I use Windows for the heavy lifting with audio and video, and the Mac for office work, writing, and publishing. There are still a few points of differentiation; if you're savvy, you can get more performance out of a Windows machine for less money, they're easier to repair/replace, and they're better at backwards compatibility. Macs are easier in terms of hooking up peripherals, have better audio handling, and are pretty much essential for publishing. But the reality is the Mac isn't as special as Mac people think it is; and with RISC gone on the Mac, Windows machines don't have the kind of performance edge they once did.

When you buy into Apple, you need to do it with eyes open. Apple makes money on the hardware, so they'll make sure you need to upgrade hardware periodically. Microsoft makes money on software, so they want to make sure it runs on anything...and as many SONAR users have found out, just because you can open Windows doesn't make it an ideal environment for running SONAR.

It's all good. Except, of course, for when either OS is having a hissy fit. Then it's all bad.

...couldn't agree more...
...these are THE points.........
post edited by gothic.angel - 2015/03/04 11:11:41

gothic.angel
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 11:36:24 (permalink)
tenfoot

Craig is absolutely spot on. I run both Mac and Windows as well. The last time I bought a Mac laptop was in 2001, when the Macbook Pro was pretty much the fastest intel based machine I could get my hands ont - though it was still massively overpriced. I bought an iMac a few years back - but it too has recently been replaced by a hp Recline - with a touchscreen!  Unheard of in macland. I bootcamped the imac and run it as a windows media server;)
Even areas where Macs are the norm - such as graphic design - I still find windows every bit as good - and often faster. Since windows 7, a well tuned windows machine is every bit as stable as a mac. Bang for buck there is no contest.

+1

...my very same experience... IMHO, that's today's set-up...
that's why I mean tunes like "Macs are better at this and that..." are senseless nowadays. 

Regards to ya all, me mates.
post edited by gothic.angel - 2015/03/04 11:43:05

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 12:57:20 (permalink)
I am on PC for many of those same reasons. That doesn't take away from the fact that OSX has done something really well with CoreAudio and audio handling on the OS level. Plus the unlimited midi devices thing. I ran into the Windows device limit almost weekly and have since resorted to religiously uninstalling any drivers I'm not actually using at that time, and removing midi ports with a special utility. If I explain this to any of my Mac using studio friends they just laugh and shake their heads.
KIKO CUETO
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 14:56:57 (permalink)
GothicAngel, es cierto que la discusión entre mac y windows, se hace pesada, pero el opinar sobre este asunto deja la balanza en el sentido que a cada uno le parece, y creo que aunque se canse uno de leer, siempre las aportaciones son positivas.
La enorme flexibilidad que me da windows, en en todos los sentidos ya sumados, me inclino personalmente hacia windows y ademas con sonar....
Es cierto que llevo mas  tiempo de la cuenta con inestabilidad en el sistema, que me lo busque con tranquilidad para tener una pc regular, y que ahora con este cabreo, me replanteo otras opciones. Tus comentarios así como otros me vienen bien para ver algo de luz, voy a reinstalarlo todo y ver si consigo una configuración optima del equipo con sonar.
Asi que gracias y siento si te he molestado....
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 16:27:10 (permalink)
gothic.angel

Rain,

nothing to do with what you  specifically said...
just pointing out that these days there's no real big difference between Win and Mac in dealing with Audio and MIDI... therefore my meaning of those "commonplaces" that don't really make sense ANY longer... that's my meaning and my view.... 

far as the "commercial studios" deal.... yes, Mac WAS the most natural choice in those times when the industry "standard" began, but again, NOWADAYS it has nothing to do with performances or quality. It's because Macs (and Pro Tools...) were there at the right time in the right place, and today it's still "rooted tradition"...

In the meantime, Windows PC have become capable of much more powerful configurations, and recent Apple's market "strategies" mainly focused on i-Things and their relative targets have led a certain amount of customers (and studios...) to open their eyes....

Then personal experience: I work with Windows, and I happen to work with Macs with some of my colleague's too...
Well, of course BOTH have issues, but when it comes to performances, Macs become poor thing...
Apple LOGIC (especially since v8..) is buggy as hell (so it's not brilliant exception among DAWs), Cubase, Ableton Live and Propellerhead Reason run MUCH more fluently and smoothly on Windows...!!!

And let me add, just as a personal consideration, that Windows has a certain DAW called SAMPLITUDE/SEQUOIA...
Depeche Mode (their engineers), just for instance, recorded their last tour performances on it.....

So it's true, in the end, there's actually room for both platforms.

I don't know how we have to word it, friend - there is a difference in the way OSX handle audio and MIDI - it is not a matter of opinion, and it hasn't changed w/ Yosemite.

OSX natively handles audio better than Windows. Keyword is natively.

Craig Anderton himself says so. You keep quoting his posts and mine and yet you seem to misinterpret them to fit "your meaning and opinion". But it's not about opinions - it's a FACT.

Now, what happens after you install drivers and audio applications on a PC is a different story. But we're talking about the OS itself, with its own default configuration, drivers and settings. 

As for industry standards, you rightly point one of the reasons. There are many others, the whole ecosystem/integration also being one of them, and not so unimportant as one could think. Another one is that most people in the industry don't want to configure and set up a computer, download 3rd party apps, and drivers, choose a back up application and so on.

Assumptions are a funny things. People tend to say that the industry uses Mac because it's a standard, because of this, because of that - as if it couldn't be a choice. Truth is, most of the folks I speak with simply prefer Mac. As simple as that. All the rest is assumptions.

You may have some knowledge of Macs working with friends - but unless one spends some serious time working with Macs and Logic, I don't think they're qualified to make a call on them. Logic 8 was quite a long time ago - 2007-2008. And yes, there were a few tough years. But that's no longer relevant, is it?

Then came 2009. Logic 9 was actually the most sable DAW I've worked with, and that is first hand experience, here. I'm talking about running it a minimum of 5 days a week, 8-12 hours a day. For years. The only crashes I have ever had were caused by a couple of poorly coded 3rd party plug-ins - Line 6 POD Farm and another one I forget. 

Logic X does run pretty smoothly - not quite as solid as 9, but that's because 9 was phenomenal. X is at least as good/better than anything else I've worked with. 

Pretty much everyone I know in the business runs Logic and Pro Tools, and I've never heard anyone of them complain about Logic's stability since 9. X does require a newer, more powerful computer.

As for Ableton Live, it runs on a Macbook onstage 2 shows a night, 5 days a week, in front of thousand people, and has done so for over 4 years w/o a hitch. My guess is that it's used in other productions here too...

Again, I'm not saying PCs aren't a viable option. I could do music as well on a PC running Sonar. But in terms of market, for one major league production you name, such as Depeche Mode (of whom I am a huge fan), I can probably name 1000 who use Mac.

post edited by Rain - 2015/03/04 16:46:14

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 16:48:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2015/03/04 16:51:13
To be continued.  

Best
John
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 17:39:57 (permalink)
Rain

Ah the nice boys (slightly pervy) of Mute.
Off to run out and buy an Atari ST, Emulator III and a Fairlight (don't have an iPhone to download the app) just to remember the old days

Violator was recorded at my old studio and a friend of mine did some of the programming... fond memories...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
gothic.angel
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 18:16:07 (permalink)
..Rain...

I already explained it's not about your specific statements in themselves...
and frankly the only one who "seems to misinterpret posts" is you here....
You keep referring to Anderton posts, but if you read CAREFULLY, you will see that OVERALL Macs and Apple's restrictive policies get beaten, after all... 

There are posts here referring to what Macs used to be, but no longer they are... which you don't seem to get...

My references to poor performances of some DAWs on Mac compared to Windows come from true daily experience, and anyway were only aimed at meaning that today Macs are NO BEST CHOICE AT ALL for music making, NO WAY.... that simple.  

Finally, I named Depeche Mode (and monster Windows-Only DAW like SAMPLITUDE/SEQUOIA) just as an example, but the whole lot is not limited to that... not limited to DEPECHE MODE (HUGE and fundamental, as we all know ) and not limited to SEQUOIA...

Your points are understood, really.... but what I'm underlineing here is a little bit different...
that is to say that Macs' "predominance" in the Pro DAW world is no longer actual and specifically not due to better quality and performances, but today it's just related to historical events...

Then there are personal preferences...
I like to consider computers machines (and DAWs) that I can configure the way I like best, fitting my needs, at my own will...  I want to build my very own DAW with the software I choose.

I don't want thingies and formats that "Apple's Master" forces me to, as "get the crappy Garageband so that your next obvious natural move will be to buy LOGIC"... 
To me, Apple's world has indeed become a big circus filled with expensive fashion-toys, closer to fashion-appliances than computers, after all.

I believe that modern DAWs, on the other hand, with that wide selection of powerful Audio-related software and hardware tools available out there, do NEED customization... and that's where WINDOWS, as somehow you stated yourself, finds its power.....

Now, of course we could go round and round with this, getting nowhere in the end... each with one's own respectable views...

Real old and boring subject.... ENOUGH..........  

All the best.

gothic.angel
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 18:20:56 (permalink)
Splat
gothic.angel

Ah the nice boys (slightly pervy) of Mute.
Off to run out and buy an Atari ST, Emulator III and a Fairlight (don't have an iPhone to download the app) just to remember the old days

Violator was recorded at my old studio and a friend of mine did some of the programming... fond memories...

...wow... I can bet they ARE fond memories......... 

gothic.angel
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/03/04 18:35:58 (permalink)
John
To be continued.  

...Hi john...

...NO... please, hope that's the end of it...... 
...don't wanna get hooked any more....... 
...long time ago, year 2009 if I recall well, you and I were already involved into such a subject....
...we had to deal with someone asking why (...?!) SONAR was not available on happy fairy Macs' world...
...long wearisome night it turned out to be...!!!

ENOUGH.... ENOUGH.........!   

jccros
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 05:44:25 (permalink)
Considering DP has gone Windows after being Mac only for decades I don't see why this post is any different.

Point 1: 

If there is no relevance to Cakewalk making OS X compatible software than please explain why Z3TA, CA-2A, Dimension Pro, etc are available for OS X? 

Point 2:

Just as PC users can choose between any number of DAW platforms, be it Cubase, Sonar, Studio One, Nuendo, etc… and they all have their own individual shortcomings, how is an OS preference suddenly not a preference but somehow a "trendy" choice? 

Point 3:

Since the components are preselected and the drivers are native to the OS you do not have driver conflicts with OS X. If the point is to make music, than call me crazy if I'd rather spend my time on a new machine writing music right away instead of chasing down senseless compatibility issues. 

Point 4:

Like it or not OS X is substantially more secure than Windows. You don't need an AV program in OS X, which is a performance crippler. Anyone who says you do does not understand how security and permissions work in OS X. (Additionally OS X's drive encryption is incredibly secure and has virtually zero overhead on any recent Intel CPU.)

Some of us have to send files to clients and it's less of a bottleneck to export and send from one place. It's absolutely senseless to have to install a program just so you can safely use your computer online when an OS can natively provide sufficient security. In the 8 years I've been on OSX I've experienced zero malware and zero virus threats.  

Just as people have their preferences about DAWs, people have their preferences about OS's as well… 

And anyone who thinks Microsoft is any less corporate or controlling than Apple has been drinking from the same Kool Aid bowl as the Mac fanatics they complain about. It's a computer and that's that.

It would be nice to eventually see Sonar ported natively to OS X… As someone who used it years ago and enjoyed it, it would be a welcome addition...

Master: Mac Pro 12 Core, 3.46 Ghz, 96 GB RAM. OSX 10.8.5. Logic X. Ableton Live. Vienna Ensemble Pro. Slave 1: Mac pro 6 Core, 2.66 ghz, 64 GB RAM. OSX 10.8.5. Slave 2: Mac Mini Server: Quad Core i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 GB RAM.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 06:04:31 (permalink)
This thread has been running for 10 years. It was never going to happen back in 2005 and it isn't happening now.

Consider the development costs and for no return. Not happening.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 06:12:14 (permalink)
Mike is right.

I certainly do not want the limited resources which Cakewalk employ to have to spend at least 50% of their precious time developing the software for a platform which I will never use.

Selfish? Probably.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 06:38:12 (permalink)
I can't believe this old chestnut has found its way back into the current threads!

https://en.m.wikipedia.or.../Flogging_a_dead_horse

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
jccros
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 06:49:27 (permalink)
gothic.angel

This is simply Not true. I've been on OS X with Live since 2008 and it's stable as a rock through each version. I also had virtually identical performance on a dual core Mac as my previous dual core PC with very similar specs. 

And the claims that Logic X is slower than 9 are totally false. Here's benchmark test for anyone curious.
EDIT: Apparently since I'm new I can't post links. Search for: "Logic Multicore Test - evans . se" if interested.
I get the same track count with 9 and X, and 8 is actually less efficient as it has poorer multicore support. 

The only way to definitively say one OS is more or less efficient than the other is to test machines with an identical hardware configuration. Saying a PC with different specs is better is comparing apples to oranges.

post edited by jccros - 2015/08/02 06:58:57

Master: Mac Pro 12 Core, 3.46 Ghz, 96 GB RAM. OSX 10.8.5. Logic X. Ableton Live. Vienna Ensemble Pro. Slave 1: Mac pro 6 Core, 2.66 ghz, 64 GB RAM. OSX 10.8.5. Slave 2: Mac Mini Server: Quad Core i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 GB RAM.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 07:03:42 (permalink)
I'm sure your points are all valid but the fact remains, Sonar is not now and in all probability will never be ported over to OSX

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 07:40:47 (permalink)
wow 10 year old thread! some kind of record?

just a sec

brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 09:42:37 (permalink)
Personally, I'm surprised Sonar isn't OSX-friendly, only because I know a great many people who would try Sonar if it ran on OSX, because they already own the hardware. There's a lot of users who despise Windows, regardless of how steady and secure it might be if users secured it. I have no issues running Windows, but there are a great many others I run into who prefer Macs.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 11:12:49 (permalink)
jccros
Considering DP has gone Windows after being Mac only for decades I don't see why this post is any different.

I believe MOTU's move relates to Logic selling for $199, thus making it more difficult for others to continue competing on the Mac platform.

If there is no relevance to Cakewalk making OS X compatible software than please explain why Z3TA, CA-2A, Dimension Pro, etc are available for OS X?

Because their market is anyone who uses a DAW. The market for SONAR is anyone who hasn't committed to a DAW on the Mac, which is a much smaller number. 

Since the components are preselected and the drivers are native to the OS you do not have driver conflicts with OS X.

To me, that is the Mac's biggest strength with respect to audio. It's one that Microsoft has started to target with Windows 10, but I think it's going to be quite a while before there's parity with the two platforms, given the Mac's head start. Core Audio rocks.

Like it or not OS X is substantially more secure than Windows. You don't need an AV program in OS X, which is a performance crippler. Anyone who says you do does not understand how security and permissions work in OS X. (Additionally OS X's drive encryption is incredibly secure and has virtually zero overhead on any recent Intel CPU.)

There's a reason why Apple's marketing materials no longer claim that their computers are invulnerable. Java, email attachments, USB drives, etc. can all provide points of entry into a Mac. Furthermore, Macs are used by hackers to harbor Windows malware so the Mac can be used to infect Windows machines. Although Mac OS security is good, hackers are always one step ahead. The Flashback virus infection is behind us, but other vulnerabilities continue to be found...

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/new-remote-exploit-leaves-most-macs-vulnerable-to-permanent-backdooring/

More references to Mac security in general and past hacks...

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/24/mac-malware-study/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/13/mac-virus-fix-apple-flashback-trojan_n_1423256.html
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-6.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/apple-flashback-virus_n_1417886.html
http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=2341&lng=en&c=14

Security breaches with Apple's sites are not encouraging, either. 

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/24/apples-security-breach-should-scare-you-more-than-targets-did/

This is the scariest research paper, and it's from only a couple months ago. Don't forget about iOS vulnerabilities, either.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxxXk1d3yyuZOFlsdkNMSGswSGs/view

Then there's this rather gaping hole...

https://reverse.put.as/2015/05/29/the-empire-strikes-back-apple-how-your-mac-firmware-security-is-completely-broken/

I use a Mac as well as Windows, so this isn't a religious matter with me. Anecdotal evidence about not experiencing a virus is all well and good, but just because I haven't experienced a virus on my Windows machine doesn't mean Windows owners should not be vigilant...and Mac users can't afford to be complacent any more, particularly in the light of how previous security breaches were handled. The addition of Gatekeeper helped deal with the kind of Mac issues that affected hundreds of thousands of users in 2012, but it's not a complete answer unless it's able to anticipate what hackers will come up with in the future - like they have in some of the documents mentioned above. 

None of this is about bashing the Mac, it's just a recognition that the days of Mac invulnerability are long gone, and that includes iPhones and the Apple Store. Based on the kind of links above, unless all the writers people are clueless about computer security, Mac users need to be aware of this reality rather than be lulled into a false sense of security just because traditionally, Macs were less vulnerable.

It would be nice to eventually see Sonar ported natively to OS X… As someone who used it years ago and enjoyed it, it would be a welcome addition...

I truly believe Cakewalk would never recoup the costs of developing a Mac OS X version of SONAR, and the diversion of resources from the Windows version would diminish the company's core product. With Logic selling for $199, it's going to be difficult for established companies to keep market share - just ask Avid and MOTU - let alone provide space for new companies to enter the fray.

Meanwhile, I know lots of people who really like Apple's hardware, so they run SONAR under Boot Camp or Parallels with an Apple computer. That's probably as close as you're going to come to a solution.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/08/02 11:14:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2015/08/02 14:42:55
OK, so no Mac. What about linux?

I keed, I keed.
danardf
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/09/25 02:47:40 (permalink)
OSX is based on BSD Unix.
  1. BSD = Unix
  2. Linux = Unix.
If there's no dev for OSX, then no dev for Linux.
There should be as much work to coding under OSX than Linux.

Franck Danard
Sonar Platinum - Win 10 64b - AND  FX-6300 3.5Ghz, 8Go RAM, 500G SSD + 1To DD - Presonus FireStudio Project - Ultra Curve Pro - Yamaha HS8 - Tyros 4, TG300, 2 x T-Bone SC400, 3 Shure 565D, SM 58, X-Touch
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/09/25 09:02:38 (permalink)

Duke 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/09/25 12:05:21 (permalink)
Since Apple ate Camel Audio and Alchemy, it is my fervent desire that Mac users never, ever, ever get to use SONAR.
EgM
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 227
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/09/26 01:06:38 (permalink)
mudgel
This thread has been running for 10 years. It was never going to happen back in 2005 and it isn't happening now.

Consider the development costs and for no return. Not happening.

I wouldn't say "for no return" as I would buy it myself, even if it costs more than Logic X.  Pretty sure many other people would too.

But being a programmer myself, I know porting an already completed product is very tedious and costly work.

Many people like me are very tired of Windows.  btw, I'm no fanboy by any means... my VEP5 slave is on Win7, I got iPhones, LG G4, Nexus tablets and many linux servers/workstations.   But I'm done with Windows for main DAW work!

Eric E. Hache
http://www.gamemusic.ca
jfxot
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: RE: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/10/28 15:02:07 (permalink)
Well, since I just had to read through all that in my hopeful and apparently hopeless search...

If Sonar were Mac'd, I'd also buy/own it.

Hating on the MS/W10 scenario, and do not need Windows for anything else in this life but to get my 50+ Cakewalk projects out of my defunct XP machine's disc and unfortunately, sadly, but determinedly port them over to Logic-town.

Not a big fan of Apple either, believe me, but I have to choose one platform that centralizes all my studio needs, and after being IBM/PC-centric the WHOLE time I've been computing (since '91), MS just lost me when they dropped XP, a beautiful, working OS, and resorted to HostageWare, and so the hell with 'em. They took my excellent usable familiar Home Studio 4 down with it, and I can not bring myself to buy another Windows machine solely to remain loyal to Cakewalk, which IS the only reason I have been considering it.

Too good a product not to throw it into Mac-land competition, IMO, and I have owned/been using it since, what, 95-6? But there you have it. Loyalty meets pragmatism. I dont know of one studio that uses CW/S (which simply means I dont know of any, but that kind of IS saying something), but that does not matter to me on the song-creation/capture level that I would use it for, just as I used GB when it was all that was handy, and now will use Logic, since I had to buy it to port my GB projects up and out so that ProTools goons can use my serviceable and preferable demo performances and I dont have to pay to re-record them. I will have to pay someone with CW/S to get my projects out. Sucks that does, I dont like having to do it.

Wish I could just click BUY and have it load on this machine, I'd sincerely be all "Logic who?". I dont need freaking Windows for anything else : /
letyourlightshine
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/10/28 17:03:33 (permalink)
bcmusik
Does someone knows if some day the Mac Users will have the honor to use this piece of software?

I was a user of cakewalk for several years, but OSX, Logic and pro tools take me to the dark side, I love Sonar but I hate Windows, if there any chance??

I didnt read the comments but man oh man  you stepped in dog crap so to speak,Ive asked a few times,been met with almost overwhelming negativity.I am not a "mac" guy anymore than I am a "PC " guy.I had a PC,Sonar was my first DAW,came with interface,and I have loved it since.Bought almost all other DAWs just to see,and none came close.
PC became slow,especially when working with lots of sampkled instruments.Couldnt upgrade ram,so my wife made the decision to get me a mac as a present,cause i had been complaining about slowness of my computer for a few years.\
Thats to explain I have no alllegiance nor do I think one is better than the other.But cakewalk users seem to think that a mac version will somehow ruin the attention they get from caklewalk or something,I have heard the coding would be "too dificult to make work on mac" which I have no idea about,I believe maybe it would be a damn headache,impossible?I doubt it.And no one could understand the concept of hiring people just to work on the mnac version thus not taking away from anything about the PC version.
I was told to "buy a new PC " which honeslty irritated me,since I am not rich,and am lucky to have a mac or a computer at all.
Then there is bootcamp,like thats as good as a native mac version,I even resigned to bootcamp and foloowed all the tuorials including one by cakewalk and i couldnt get it work,not going in to that uit,s a boring annoying story)So So I asked if they could make a new tutorial that is more in depth and litereally goers through every single step on video.But I am back to screw bootcamp,I dont want to boot into windows then turn off mycomputer to use a jmac program.
And virtual machines?Yes I wasted what little money I had and they are a joke.
So even if every single other DAW maker has a mac and a PC version it seems like there will never be a mac version,and Im not trying to be a jerk.
So just let that Sonar  mac version hope die,it will be better than being sad you cannot use your absoilute favorite DAW ever,and that people think the will lose something if one is made.

kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Sonar for Mac OSX 2015/10/28 18:43:15 (permalink)
As a very long time developer with experience on many, many OS's I find it difficult to understand the animosity toward Windows, and why one would prefer one enormously wealthy corporate behemoth over another. The guy who said choose your marketing was dead on.

That said, Windows is a highly capable system and Sonar leverages its services beautifully. Further, MS is busily reengineering the audio stack to provide even higher levels of flexibility and performance as we speak, and I look forward to someday soon running a fully featured Sonar on my Windows phone.

Well, gotta go, I lost the keys to my hovercar.
post edited by kevinwal - 2015/10/28 18:53:57
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1