Sonar is a great mastering program!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 13:21:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jmcelroy

ORIGINAL: daverich

I agree

I don't want sonar to be my burning program.

They could bundle Nero and then everyone would be happy ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Yeah, if they could score some sort of partnership with somone who makes that type of software (like Nero, as you suggested), that would be the best possible solution. That way, everyone does what they're good at and we get all that we need.

Of coures, it's a moot point for me until I finish some songs !!!

:)

Edited: I goofed up the quote tags and had to fix 'em.

The thing I find slightly amusing is that nero is bundled with 99% of cd writers anyway :D

Nero is still my Bang 4 Buck winner of all time :) (not including free stuff)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
seriousfun
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 641
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 14:52:15 (permalink)

The thing I find slightly amusing is that nero is bundled with 99% of cd writers anyway :D

That's essentially free marketing - a certain percentage of bundled-version users move on to purchase the full version at some point. I did!

Pyro isn't yet Nero (it actually does a few things that Nero doesn't), but it could be with some attention.

And, yes, I started this discussion to point out that sonically Sonar does a great job with making a mix ready for replication. And to point out that it's very close to being a true end-to-end mastering program (whether with built-in burning capability or tightly integrated with a future Pyro Pro or something...).

Doug Osborne
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 15:44:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ericzang
I was just reading in the izotope ozone manual that dithering should be the very last thing before changing bit depth to 16. Even the sample rate change (such as down to 44.1) should be before applying dither.

This gives rise to an interesting question.

If you have a project recorded at 24/88.2 and you want to mix it down to 16/44.1 with say powr-3 dithering selected (inder Options, Audio), does Sonar do this automatically in the correct order - ie

1. Change sampel rate
2. Apply dithering
3. Change bit rate

Or are you saying that I shoiuld first mix down from 24/88.2 to 24/44.1 without dithering, then in a second pass convert it to 16/44.1 with the dithering?

I have never thought of this as an issue before.

Best
Geoff
jmcelroy
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 16:28:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ericzang

I was just reading in the izotope ozone manual that dithering should be the very last thing before changing bit depth to 16. Even the sample rate change (such as down to 44.1) should be before applying dither.

I seem to recall in my mind somewhere that doing a fade and trimming the ends are ok to do after dithering. I'd need to check ozone info again.

That's interesting, I had never thought of that. I guess that if you do anything after dithering you risk changing the distribution of the noise, including downsampling since it will remove some of the noise samples too. That makes sense. I can't imagine that fades would have any effect on the noise distribution, though, so I imagine you are correct. I'm really glad you mentioned that. I mean, I wouldn't have dropped a flanger on after dithering or anything, but I never would have thought about the sample rate conversion as being an issue.
seriousfun
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 17:21:02 (permalink)
Yes, dithering has to be done once, and as the last step.

Dithering, and digital audio in general, is explained very well in Nika Aldrich's book you can buy from Sweetwater. One of the things it will do is to make fades much smoother - the last few bits in 16-bit audio can be a little coarse in a fade out, and dithering smooths this.

Doug Osborne
glazfolk
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 17:28:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: seriousfun

Dithering, and digital audio in general, is explained very well in Nika Aldrich's book you can buy from Sweetwater. One of the things it will do is to make fades much smoother - the last few bits in 16-bit audio can be a little coarse in a fade out, and dithering smooths this.

Yes, I understand this, thanks. My question, however, is whether, when you export to file within Sonar, going from say 24/88.2 to 16/44.1, Sonar applies these processes in the correct order, ie downsample, dither, bit rate conversion? I've always assumed it does, and this is reinforced by the following (from the Help File on Export, Audio):

Set the sample rate for the file. CD audio uses 44100 kHz. If you don't have Dithering turned on, this is a good time to turn it on (on the Advanced tab of the Audio Options dialog).

But it would be nice to be sure ...
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 17:46:50 (permalink)

I use sonar for mastering all the time.

I basically work on an album as on long .wav - crossfading if need be and all trimmed and effected as required (even easier with the new clip insert effects).

I then export the entire thing as 16bit 44.1khz audio which i then import into nero and add the track markers there myself.

I really don't see what's the difference between doing that in sonar/nero and doing it in wavelab.

Personally I would rather do the final burn in nero as it supports my burners VariRec mode which gives a very very low (if any) error rate.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

wow! I dont think most people have the cpu power to do that -- but if you do...... good for you-- I think I would just freeze my computer after about the 2nd or third song.

For me...... and this was brought up a few times all ready. None of my stuff is really ever going to get commercial play. It's for clients who hire my band, and to pass out to family and friends. Using plug-ins like t-racks and ozone is fine for that stuff. Sounds really good too!
I think if your going to go commercial with your stuff, or just have the desire to really make it sound commercial, then you have 2 choices. Learn how to master the right way. right tools. With college classes or workshops.... which I think none of us who haven't picked this for a career have time for or money for the right equipment. OR the second choice..... send it out to the pro's to master. That said, if you have the ear and time you could come close to getting a good master your self, with out the expensive tools and training. But really is what you have at home as good as a professional studio that has literally millions of dollars worth of equipment? A professional engineer who really knows his stuff? I doubt it. I love sonar and most people can't tell the difference between the quality of sound I make and a commercial recording from Columbia records. But at the same time, lets get real. We really are all just big kids having fun with neat toys that could be used for decent profession work becuase we all love music
post edited by Mooch4056 - 2005/12/09 17:52:15

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

attalus
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1687
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 17:59:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

Sonar is not a mastering program.
Now that it has what is techically the highest internal audio fidelity of any audio workstation, I find this both amusing and annoying that it still has no mastering features.

I agree totally. It is strange that Sonar has higher fidelity than all mastering applications on the market (including sequoia) but remains a sequencing only application. I sincerely hope many of Sonar users request some nastering features for the next version of Sonar.Features such as burning directly to cd from Sonar, ripping from cd, cdtext, red book burning, isrc codeing, pq editing etc. This would make things more convenient for us and allow us to utilize the high fidelity mixing engine in every step of production!
Hawky
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 18:10:29 (permalink)
Check out page 552 of SONAR 5 manual. Read "Preparing Higher-quality Audio for CD burning" segment. It's kind of a pain but seems to make a difference.

Regards,

Hawky
seriousfun
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 18:13:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mooch4056

...you have 2 choices. Learn how to master the right way. right tools. With college classes or workshops.... which I think none of us who haven't picked this for a career have time for or money for the right equipment. OR the second choice..... send it out to the pro's to master. That said, if you have the ear and time you could come close to getting a good master your self, with out the expensive tools and training. But really is what you have at home as good as a professional studio that has literally millions of dollars worth of equipment? ...

I took my most recent commercial release (the one in my link, below) to one of the top mastering facilities in Los Angeles. I recorded and mixed it in Sonar, but I insisted that the client pay for a professional mastering job. The ME insists that our project is better mixed, better sounding, and more error-free than most of the big-studio/big-label projects he works on, and he has no reason to blow smoke...I wanted the artist to get this level of treatment, I wanted both of us to experience this, and the results are very good.

I am currently mastering another project. Compared to other mastering chains I have recently experienced (Pyramix, Sonic, and Pro Tools HD at 192), my Sonar work at 32/96 dithered with POWr sound better. Clear, dynamic yet loud, etc. This is 75% of the mastering process, at a fraction of the price of the gear at the high-end facilities. The actual assembly and burning obviously have to be done in another app, and again, that is one of the reasons why I started this thread. Sonar with decent digital converters is indeed all that.

As has been said, it's not the hammer but the guy swinging it.

As it also has been said, mastering your own music is like giving yourself a haircut, so I agree if your skills aren't up to it, don't try this at home kids.

Doug Osborne
Tombo
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 988
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/09 23:35:39 (permalink)
I use Samplitude 8.21 Professional to master. It is a terrific program, but it requires a Codemeter dongle...a piece of junk. Other than that, I rank it right up on top as a DAW app. SONAR can do some things that Samp. can't. Samp can do a lot of things that SONAR can't (like burn a redbook quality CD on the FLY calculating effects as it is burning the CD—amazing...and batch processing...and sample level volume and waveform editing (I once took a guitar take that I liked but that had dropouts and exported from SONAR into Samplitude and then drew in individual samples (as in 1 of 48,000) to take out the glitches...worked like a charm...

ORIGINAL: hv

Kip McGinnis over at Bardstown Audio says he finds greater mastering integration with Samplitude and Sequoia. He says that it combines the functionality of Wavelab, Bias Peak, and Sound Forge and that it's now his DAW of choice...

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/frames/soft.html

He doesn't single out Sonar in his comentary but I recall it used to be his DAW of choice and I know he sells both the Cakewalk and Magix product lines.

I'm far from ready to jump ship myself over this, particularly considering the recent 64-bit processing advances in Sonar, but I have to admit it's a real pain in the neck getting from Sonar exports to finished CD without any communication of markers or regions to the CD authoring software. I use CD Architect but I imagine I'd have the same issues with DiscWelder or anything else. Other mastering capabilities are a side issue for me. The real problem is that if I have to make one change at the Sonar level requiring a new export, it blows away everything downstream from that.

If the regions were created in Sonar and passed to the export, at least I'd have a fighting chance. I don't really mind calling up external programs for specialized processing from within Sonar. It's way too late for me to save money there cause I already own them all. I'd even be willing to fork over some more $$$ if Cakewalk introduced its own external full featured CD authoring tool... as long as it was as full featured as CD Architect (between track audio, cd text, isrc, barcode, etc). And communicated with Sonar.

Howard

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
sammyp
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 01:49:34 (permalink)
My understanding is that you will then have a "demo" that you can burn to CD that will "approximate" a professional recording.

Most users seem to agree that for a mass-production commercial CD, you will need to use a professional to master the CD.

This is so true. I've tried many - Wavelab, T-racks, SoundForge, Sonar etc. - as soon as you start to compress and limit (maximize) your work in any of these software environments you get a "grainy" unprofessional sound to your mix. They all do that to the music. If you can't hear it your ears are a bit weak.

daverich
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 05:59:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sammyp

My understanding is that you will then have a "demo" that you can burn to CD that will "approximate" a professional recording.

Most users seem to agree that for a mass-production commercial CD, you will need to use a professional to master the CD.

This is so true. I've tried many - Wavelab, T-racks, SoundForge, Sonar etc. - as soon as you start to compress and limit (maximize) your work in any of these software environments you get a "grainy" unprofessional sound to your mix. They all do that to the music. If you can't hear it your ears are a bit weak.

IMO this just isn't true - weak ears? grainy sound? my god man what are you on about?

I think you'll find people just use TOO MANY MASTERING PLUGS! - Try getting the mix right and using elephant in 4x oversampling and PLParEQ3 or Curve EQ for some very gentle polishing.

It really isn't rocket science - and I don't have weak ears and have a pretty good (Dynaudio bm6a) monitoring setup.

I think most of the voodoo lies in how little premastering engineers do, whereas folks who try to premaster themselves think- "right, lets add a little multibander, a little eq, a little widener, a little exciter, a little bass enhancer ooh and a mastering compressor and finally lets smash the lot to pieces with a limiter" - and then wonder why it sounds awful ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

glazfolk
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 06:18:04 (permalink)
I think most of the voodoo lies in how little premastering engineers do, whereas folks who try to premaster themselves think- "right, lets add a little multibander, a little eq, a little widener, a little exciter, a little bass enhancer ooh and a mastering compressor and finally lets smash the lot to pieces with a limiter" - and then wonder why it sounds awful ;)

Dave ... you forgot the extra touch of reverb, you know, just to polish it up a little.

Best,
Geoff
eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 08:14:48 (permalink)
wow! I dont think most people have the cpu power to do that -- but if you do...... good for you-- I think I would just freeze my computer after about the 2nd or third song.

Have you tried the new S5 per-clip FX bins? They might help. In Samplitude Master that's how I keep the CPU usage down. Each song clip gets its own FX. So, for a 15 song CD you only pay the FX CPU penalty for one song (unless the song clips overlap). So, on my lowly 1.3 GHz Athlon I usually see less than 20% CPU usage while mastering so I can do on-the-fly CD burning.

I have used the per clip FX a few times now in S5, but have not paid attention to the CPU usage reduction aspect of them. It really depends on how it was implemented.
jamesgxyz
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 08:25:03 (permalink)

Dithering, and digital audio in general, is explained very well in Nika Aldrich's book you can buy from Sweetwater.

I just downloaded the sample chapter from the website - turns out it's not even a whole chapter (just a few pages) and he can't spell hexadecimal (it says "hexidecimal" every time).

The sample section covers low-level theoretical stuff - I would also like to know how well it covers practical stuff as well (e.g. how to apply this knowledge), but no samples available on this.

Small things, but these first impressions do put me off a bit.

post edited by jamesgxyz - 2005/12/10 08:28:29
ericzang
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 09:36:10 (permalink)

If you have a project recorded at 24/88.2 and you want to mix it down to 16/44.1 with say powr-3 dithering selected (inder Options, Audio), does Sonar do this automatically in the correct order - ie

1. Change sampel rate
2. Apply dithering
3. Change bit rate

Or are you saying that I shoiuld first mix down from 24/88.2 to 24/44.1 without dithering, then in a second pass convert it to 16/44.1 with the dithering?

I have never thought of this as an issue before.

Best
Geoff

If one is exporting out of sonar, yes the above two pass procedure is what the ozone manual stated. I don't know if sonar does the correct order. We should ask cakewalk.

http://www.ericzang.com
"Night Music of the Rainforest" now available for download
jmcelroy
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 10:05:40 (permalink)

IMO this just isn't true - weak ears? grainy sound? my god man what are you on about?

I think you'll find people just use TOO MANY MASTERING PLUGS! - Try getting the mix right and using elephant in 4x oversampling and PLParEQ3 or Curve EQ for some very gentle polishing.

It really isn't rocket science - and I don't have weak ears and have a pretty good (Dynaudio bm6a) monitoring setup.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

C'mon Dave, face up to it - you've just got weak ears, dude. Anyone who listens to you tunes can tell, bro. You know - all that "Overload" stuff that I checked out where my wife walked in and said "Wow, you finally found a decent radio station in Gainesville!", yeah definitely the product of weak ears You should hear my stuff, my mixes are so clear and pristine you can almost, like, discern the individual instruments! Pretty soon, I'll be so good that the listener will have a vague notion of what I'm trying to get across to them! Try that on for size, Captain Weak Ears.

OK, all kidding aside, I'm starting to understand that if I spend more time getting the mix right I won't have to spend as much time and money on mastering. You like PLParEQ3 and elephant. I've got PLParEQ, and I'll pick up Elephant. Do you suggest getting Curve EQ in addition to PLParEQ3 for the variety, or is it OK to stick with just PLParEQ3 in your opinion? What about tracking\mixing plugs. I know you're fond of wavearts trackplug, what else do you like? I assume the voxengo mixing suite is probably good, but I'd probably never use the phase alignment one (I never record with more than one mic), or the voxformer (once I have trackplug) and I'm not sure how much I'd use the warming\amplifier stuff, so maybe just a few a la carte voxengo plugs would be better.

Anway thanks, as always! I really value your opinion - and anyone else who cares to share one!

daverich
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 10:28:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jmcelroy

Kind regards

Dave Rich

C'mon Dave, face up to it - you've just got weak ears, dude. Anyone who listens to you tunes can tell, bro. You know - all that "Overload" stuff that I checked out where my wife walked in and said "Wow, you finally found a decent radio station in Gainesville!", yeah definitely the product of weak ears You should hear my stuff, my mixes are so clear and pristine you can almost, like, discern the individual instruments! Pretty soon, I'll be so good that the listener will have a vague notion of what I'm trying to get across to them! Try that on for size, Captain Weak Ears.

OK, all kidding aside, I'm starting to understand that if I spend more time getting the mix right I won't have to spend as much time and money on mastering. You like PLParEQ3 and elephant. I've got PLParEQ, and I'll pick up Elephant. Do you suggest getting Curve EQ in addition to PLParEQ3 for the variety, or is it OK to stick with just PLParEQ3 in your opinion? What about tracking\mixing plugs. I know you're fond of wavearts trackplug, what else do you like? I assume the voxengo mixing suite is probably good, but I'd probably never use the phase alignment one (I never record with more than one mic), or the voxformer (once I have trackplug) and I'm not sure how much I'd use the warming\amplifier stuff, so maybe just a few a la carte voxengo plugs would be better.

Anway thanks, as always! I really value your opinion - and anyone else who cares to share one!

;)

Curve EQ has some nice options, but I never find myself using them now. It's very very surgical and has some gear-matching features which are nice, but for subtle premastering eq PLpar3EQ is more transparent to my ears. Of course you might be after a little harmonic boost too which CurveEQ will give you but I would be hesitant to do this over the whole mix.

Although it's useful to go over which plugs are decent, which give a cleaner sound etc - (and yeah I'm a big wavearts fan right now), the painful truth is that if you're looking for that commercial quality sound on stuff that's recorded with poor quality converters/preamps then you've got quite a battle on your hands - and this is where I think people start using huge chains of plugs to try and compensate.

I got the fireface about a year ago now - and before that I had the emu1820m. Both of these cards make getting a good mix almost childsplay - purely because you dont need to use the plugs to get the sound to be *right* - it's already a bloody good quality sound and mostly you only need to use a little gentle persuasion to get the sound you're after, rather than having to chisel it out of a worse-quality audio file. You're using the effects to *effect* the sound, not to *fix* it.

The monitors I have also make life alot easier - sometimes you can find yourself adjusting a mix away from a clean and natural sound just to get it to sound ok on a bad monitoring setup. I've sufferred from this in the past but it's a lesson well learnt.

Although the drivers are sometimes a bit hit and miss I would recommend someone with an older soundcard to buy an 1820M soundcard over say izotope ozone anyday.

Good monitoring is also something that will have a much more positive effect on mixes than plugins.

You can always take away quality, - it's VERY hard if not impossible to add it.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 11:42:41 (permalink)
These threads come up every now and then and I always read through them with interest, mainly because of the wide range of viewpoints presented. I must be naive or something. I mean, sometimes I'm not sure if I'm understanding the points. In some cases, the viewpoints just seem completely wrong to me. Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but well... here is my opinion...

I've been mastering audio on DAW's for about 5 years now, not only for myself but also my clients. In all that time I've never had a complaint. So what? That doesn't make me an expert and I'm not trying to come off like one. But I have pretty good ears (I think) and if I A/B one of my mastering jobs against a million-dollar commercial CD and it compares favorably (or actually sounds better to my ears and the ears of my clients) then I can easily assume that my way of working has merit.

What's the point? The point is...

Sonar is not a mastering program although it could be. If Sonar had CD authoring capabilities, I'm convinced you could do everything you need to do within Sonar and achieve professional results. I use CD Architect for my authoring needs. Between Sonar and CD Architect, I can do everything I need to do.

Look, is Bob Ludwig a better mastering engineer than you or I could ever hope to be? Probably yes. Does he have better tools than we have? Yes. Maybe we should keep all this in perspective really. If Mariah Carey (or whoever) came here and asked me to master her upcoming CD release I'd thank her for considering me but regretfully decline - mainly because there are people working in mastering that have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 12:26:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glazfolk

Yes, I understand this, thanks. My question, however, is whether, when you export to file within Sonar, going from say 24/88.2 to 16/44.1, Sonar applies these processes in the correct order, ie downsample, dither, bit rate conversion? I've always assumed it does, and this is reinforced by the following (from the Help File on Export, Audio):

Set the sample rate for the file. CD audio uses 44100 kHz. If you don't have Dithering turned on, this is a good time to turn it on (on the Advanced tab of the Audio Options dialog).

But it would be nice to be sure ...

Hi Dave,

I had the same very important question back when POWr dither became available with Sonar...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=241739

Asked and answered.

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 13:35:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox
Look, is Bob Ludwig a better mastering engineer than you or I could ever hope to be? Probably yes. Does he have better tools than we have? Yes.

Almost anybody who's serious about it can go out and drop $10,000-$15,000 on a clean powerful amp, top quality monitors, maybe some boutique outboard frobnitz, a fast powerful DAW, and some acoustic treatment for your basement or garage. Throw in some top quality plugins and a top quality conveter box and I dare say you have as good a toolset as the masters of mastering. Heck, I see people loading $5000 worth of cheap "home theatre" gear into their minivan every time I pull into the Best Buy parking lot (especially the week of the Super Bowl). If you were talking 15 or 20 years ago when that $15,000 was more like $50,000 then yeah, maybe the Soundblaster was the limiting factor.

The bigger advantage that a Bob Ludwig has over me or you is years of experience. Experience listening to 1000's upon 1000's of songs and artists, breaking down the sound in his head, knowing what he wants to touch and not touch, knowing how to use his gear to get what he wants, and how to make a cohesive and consistent album from a jumble of individual songs. No amount of technology or acoustic treatment can replace that. The mastering plugin approach can give you a basic and effective toolset to get started, but unless you're an intellectual sponge you're probably looking at ~5 years of trial-and-error and focused practical application for your ears to get in synch with your brain. Then again, if you've been mixing your own and others' projects for years with good results, then you're probably much closer to acquiring the additional skills to do a decent mastering job.

I think Dave's comment "You're using the effects to *effect* the sound, not to *fix* it" is right on the money. The same applies to mastering as a whole, I think. Just like you can't fix a bad recording in the mix, Bob Ludwig can't fix a bad mix. Hone those mixing skills.
Rustic Raf
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 15:32:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: eric_peterson

Have you tried the new S5 per-clip FX bins? They might help. In Samplitude Master that's how I keep the CPU usage down. Each song clip gets its own FX. So, for a 15 song CD you only pay the FX CPU penalty for one song (unless the song clips overlap). So, on my lowly 1.3 GHz Athlon I usually see less than 20% CPU usage while mastering so I can do on-the-fly CD burning.

I have used the per clip FX a few times now in S5, but have not paid attention to the CPU usage reduction aspect of them. It really depends on how it was implemented.

But Sonar 5's FX per clip don't work in the same manner as those in Samplitude ! Sonar's FX are active at all times, whereas, Samplitudes only when they play. Mastering is a prime example where Samplitude's way of using FX on clips is prefferable. You can load ( as you've found) as many FX as you need and the CPU will not hit the roof. Not so in Sonar. Yes we've got a superb implementation of freeze, but still...
Rustic Raf
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 15:58:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Tombo

I use Samplitude 8.21 Professional to master. It is a terrific program, but it requires a Codemeter dongle...a piece of junk. Other than that, I rank it right up on top as a DAW app. SONAR can do some things that Samp. can't. Samp can do a lot of things that SONAR can't (like burn a redbook quality CD on the FLY calculating effects as it is burning the CD—amazing...and batch processing...and sample level volume and waveform editing (I once took a guitar take that I liked but that had dropouts and exported from SONAR into Samplitude and then drew in individual samples (as in 1 of 48,000) to take out the glitches...worked like a charm...

Yep, Samplitude is just perfect for mastering. Actually, it's the only program on PC that allows to do all aspects of production in one
program. From the first take to the CD. This freedom is just great.

People also forget that mastering isn't just about applying volume and FX, it's also the actual workflow. Try selecting/skipping to consecutive clip edges in Sonar . Not possible. Try it in Samplitude. Easy. The same with zooming in and out, including the actual graphic response. Click zoom memory one, you are at sample level, click zoom memory, say, four, you are at whole project view. In Sonar, all the manual zooming and the graphic time lag would drive a mastering engineer crazy. All these factors are important, me thinks, not just the plugins.
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 18:05:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: glazfolk

Dave ... you forgot the extra touch of reverb, you know, just to polish it up a little.
Best,
Geoff

And don't forget the cowbell...

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 18:15:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SteveD
I had the same very important question back when POWr dither became available with Sonar...

Asked and answered.

Steve, thanks for getting to the bottom of this. It will come in handy someday when I transition to 88.2k/96k, especially once I start experimenting with SONAR mastering a-la Dave Rich's style (using Voxengo here at first).

And IMHO you were right (and gracious) over there regarding those who were confusing SRC with dithering.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
seriousfun
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 19:34:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveD
...I had the same very important question back when POWr dither became available with Sonar...

Asked and answered.

Yes, Steve, it was clearly answered in that post. And you summed it up:

In Sonar 4, I will just export a 44.1/16 file and use CD Architect to audition the entire multi-song project for level matching. I will be forced to return to Sonar to make level adjustments because the file is already dithered, but stereo file exports are pretty quick in Sonar.

And sammyp,

Wavelab, T-racks, SoundForge, Sonar etc. - as soon as you start to compress and limit (maximize) your work in any of these software environments you get a "grainy" unprofessional sound to your mix. They all do that to the music.

is just plain wrong. Compressing and limiting is not maximizing. I don't know if my results would have been worse if I was using Sonitus instead of UAD. I have compared these masters on Tannoy speakers with Manley/Mastering Labs crossovers, and on soffit-mounted Augsberger monitors (as well as on computer speakers and headphones), and the masters compare well to the high-priced MEs' work.

Every improvement in SRC, dithering, monitoring, CD media, etc., etc., etc., will certainly have a potential benefit. Our current affordable computer-based recording systems, SONAR included, are not our ultimate limiting factor in delivering high-qualitymixes for delivery. The limiting factor is our ears and our experience.

Doug Osborne
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 20:17:15 (permalink)
I've read interviews w/ many pro Mastering Engineers who use software in conjunction w/ high-end hardware. Quite a few of them actually use Pro Tools which has none of the so "crucial" mastering features mentionned throughout this thread. You have to use it in conjunction w/ Digi's MasterList CD in order to burn cd's.*

I don't see much difference between their solution and using Sonar and Nero or whichever app you decide to use to master.

*At least that was the case back when I read those interviews. I just recently bought Pro Tools (Mpowered) (for compatibility reasons) but haven't really found a use for it so far. Maybe these new version do offer some cd burning capabilities.
post edited by Rain - 2005/12/10 20:21:45

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
seriousfun
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/10 21:05:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rain

I've read interviews w/ many pro Mastering Engineers who use software in conjunction w/ high-end hardware. Quite a few of them actually use Pro Tools which has none of the so "crucial" mastering features mentionned throughout this thread. You have to use it in conjunction w/ Digi's MasterList CD in order to burn cd's.*

I don't see much difference between their solution and using Sonar and Nero or whichever app you decide to use to master.

Yes, there is not much difference at that point, in terms of workflow.

The standard Pro Tools|HD converters are IMO nothing special. Clocked with a Big Ben, replaced with Lavry, Meitner, Apogee, etc., PT will sound as good as the digital converters. Dedicated workstations like Pyramix have a dedicated sound card, but are still often used with better converters.

Doug Osborne
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: Sonar is a great mastering program! 2005/12/11 11:12:49 (permalink)
Yes, there is not much difference at that point, in terms of workflow.

The standard Pro Tools|HD converters are IMO nothing special. Clocked with a Big Ben, replaced with Lavry, Meitner, Apogee, etc., PT will sound as good as the digital converters. Dedicated workstations like Pyramix have a dedicated sound card, but are still often used with better converters.

True, although the sphynx 2 converter option for pyramix is a very nice sounding interface.
SADiE, for one, cannot use converters other than it's own, unless you use the AES output into a seperate, standalone converter.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1