Helpful ReplySonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 15:58:14 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!
    Just learned that Reaper could stream music to shout cast. That might be a handy feature for some. 

https://reaperblog.net/2017/11/how-to-use-reacast/

There is also a module called "NinJam" which is an acronym for "Novel Intervallic Network Jamming Architecture for Music".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjam

It is also a live streaming over the internet module that is for doing live jams over the internet. You won't produce any records or win any Grammys with this one, but it is kind of fun and novel which is the point.  My kid, who is a bass player and I who am a drummer (although I also play twenty other instruments too) set it up over our home network for fun, and after playing with it a moment, decided to try it live on the internet.

It's been a long time ago, but we setup a "Jam Room" online, and then he and I just started jamming on bass and drums. After a minute or so, various different people from across the globe started visiting our jam room, and would play along for a while. We actually had some pretty proficient players drop by and jam with us, and from what I remember there was a delay where you needed to wait one round of whatever was being played before jumping in, but like I said earlier, this particular module is more for fun although you might be able to use tracks generated during the jam for something more serious by shifting the time differences around between players.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 18:18:05 (permalink)
jonboper
Serious_Noize!

That really confused me also when I first tried Reaper. Here's a video about it that explains it. It allows you to customize Reaper to work however you would like it to, meaning you can make it work like any other DAW, but even more so you can add custom actions and such things.  Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCfjDsA6-qE

Thanks, did watch that video: so the SWS extension is an additional set of Actions?

Yes it is. If you install SWS extension for Reaper which you can get here : http://sws-extension.org/

After installing SWS extension.

Load up Reaper and select from the menu at the top : ACTIONS and from there, ACTION LIST, after the window opens up click in the area beside FILTER and type in SWS  and you will see all the extra actions you can use, they are labeled with the SWS letters.

Keep in mind, those aren't the only ones, While you still have SWS typed in the FILTER to the right on the same menu, click on the SECTION drop down tab and you'll see there is much much more options that SWS has added for you to customize things. 

Custom actions can be different for different views on some things. 

Something for me that I find useful, even if you don't use SWS is "Insert 4 envelope points at selection". 

You can assign a shortcut key for that "Just pick one out or combo keys that your not using, which you may want to do a search using the find shortcut first to make sure it's not being used first in MAIN", and then add that shortcut to that option. I use F10 for that. 

So when you are editing envelopes and you just want specific audio parts for an envelope that you highlight to add 4 points, you just highlight the area, click on the envelope track and press your shortcut key. 

There may be other ways to do that, but I like having a simple shortcut on hand just for that because sometimes find myself needing that for what I do. 

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 18:19:24 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!
    Just learned that Reaper could stream music to shout cast. That might be a handy feature for some. 

https://reaperblog.net/2017/11/how-to-use-reacast/

There is also a module called "NinJam" which is an acronym for "Novel Intervallic Network Jamming Architecture for Music".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjam

It is also a live streaming over the internet module that is for doing live jams over the internet. You won't produce any records or win any Grammys with this one, but it is kind of fun and novel which is the point.  My kid, who is a bass player and I who am a drummer (although I also play twenty other instruments too) set it up over our home network for fun, and after playing with it a moment, decided to try it live on the internet.

It's been a long time ago, but we setup a "Jam Room" online, and then he and I just started jamming on bass and drums. After a minute or so, various different people from across the globe started visiting our jam room, and would play along for a while. We actually had some pretty proficient players drop by and jam with us, and from what I remember there was a delay where you needed to wait one round of whatever was being played before jumping in, but like I said earlier, this particular module is more for fun although you might be able to use tracks generated during the jam for something more serious by shifting the time differences around between players.

Thank you! That sounds really cool! I might have to try that sometime. 

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 18:30:44 (permalink)
Mully
Johan and Bobby thank you for the replies and detailed responses, really appreciated.
It seems a no brainer to buy one of the other upgrade offers just to get Melodyne. I'm back into recording after a long break and still have X2 hence the interest.

I was about to also pull the trigger on Harrison Mixbus (might still happen) and then stumbled across this: http://www.houseofwhiteti...erial/wt_imperial.html

Wow...Reaper suddenly got very attractive and given the edit-ability (thanks for the video link guys) and I'm excited to make music again.

So much to learn and it is actually now becoming a little exciting to be honest. V-Studio gear is now for sale

Again, thank you.

Your Welcome Mully, I'm no expert by no means. I'm just trying to help others the best I can, and I hope I don't confuse them in anyway, because the end of Cakewalk is a really sad thing for a lot of people including me, some people made their living with the software and I understand their concern moving forward where stability issues go.

The White Tie Imperial is a killer theme. If you don't have a monitor that will support it though, when you select to download it it will ask you if you do or don't, if you don't you can download the alternative which is for smaller monitors, it looks great!  

There's a couple of Sonar type themes, Alternate & Stonar,
Alternate Link looks like early Cakewalk : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1385/Alternate.zip
Stonar can be found here although it's an LE version it's still pretty cool, just scroll to the bottom of the page link here : http://tritonreaperthemes.webs.com/free

The Triton LE freebies have a lot of different versions. 

You can always install Reaper as a portable DAW to try things out without installing it, and go to the Reaper THEMES section, there's ton's of them. I must say, one really cool theme that come out lately is called ABBEY ROAD, I really like that one a lot : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2076/AbbeyRoad.zip

My go to Reaper theme, I always seem to come back to it is RADOVOX : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/906/RADOVOX.zip

There are several variations of RadoVox, just check the Reapter Resources area and themes and you'll see there are a TON of themes to cover just about anything you would like. There's some that look just like Pro Tools and others like CUBASE, there's even a Sony Acid Pro them on there. 

Reaper Resources page is here : https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Themes

You'll find JS Plugins, Drum Maps, FX Chains, Key Maps, etc..... A Ton of things there. 

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/10 10:54:59 (permalink)
Bobby Radovox sure looks familiar 
I'm playing around with Reaper now with Imperial preset and it seems really good. Editing has the essentials and just a matter of getting familiar with a new work flow and routing etc.

Right now pending some more playing around I look like buying Reaper for the majority of duties (editing etc), Harrison Mixbus to get a killer deal that is tonally interesting and an alternate mixing platform and then it's a matter of getting Melodyne by perhaps buying Studio One which I'm sure will have some benefits too and is a smarter way of buying Melodyne I think. Plus you get some potential hardware choices from Presonus.

All have their uses and are great deals and a better option that the Sonar upgrade options from X2 to Platinum 

I like it...thanks again for this thread as it was really helpful getting to this point.
Cheers.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/10 16:39:53 (permalink)
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but there are a series of 8 videos by Kenny Gioya for creating a MIDI song / project for those who have never used REAPER:  https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#Aw4pekLPVys
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/10 21:54:32 (permalink)
I have not found a good link for "Sonar vs Reaper" in recording functionality. So here is my own comparison:

First of all Reaper has ALL possibilities for recording which Sonar had (including AUX tracks), and it has much more features in that area.

At first look, Sonar and Reaper both have "Input", "Record Arm", "Monitoring" and "Record" buttons. But the philosophy is different and that can confuse at the beginning.

* Input for recording:
 - Sonar can record input, audio or MIDI (on respective tracks). "Input quantize" for MIDI is the only processing allowed. Sonar can record Audio (only) output using AUX tracks.
 - Reaper can record input, audio or MIDI (on any track). It has "Input FX" chain, which can process the signal before it is recorded (f.e. for MIDI that can be quantize, arpeggiate, velocity or any other MIDI manipulation, even conversion to audio with softsynth). Reaper can also record the output, so function as AUX track in Sonar. Note that it can record not only some other track output (as AUX in sonar), but also just own output. F.e. Instrument track (in Sonar terminology) can record own audio output (but not in parallel with live MIDI, so to record MIDI and softsynth audio output from live performance in parallel, 2 tracks are still required).

* Arming:
- In Sonar track should be armed explicitly.
- In Reaper in addition to explicit arming there is "Automatic arming" on selection. Note that you can select many tracks and all of them will be armed (in case they are in that mode). You can switch selection on the fly, also during recording.

* Monitoring
- Sonar has explicit "Input echo", independent from recording. For MIDI, Sonar has "automatic" echo based on focus (so for one focused track).
- Reaper has no explicit "Input echo". But it has "Record monitor". In practice, that is "Input echo" which only works when the track is armed. Note that "automatic" monitor has nothing to do with the focus (it is for auto-punch recording). In most cases, when you have an intention to record your performance, such binding to record arm state make a lot of sense (together with automatic arming). For the case when you need "Input echo" but you do not want record the track (so you want record something else while this track just echo), there is an option "Record: disable". When set, Record arm does not work as such but allows "Record monitor" to work (the discussion how good is that is ongoing since 10 years, find the thread on Reaper forum. From that thread you can understand the intention).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/10 22:10:47 (permalink)
azslow3
* Monitoring
- Sonar has explicit "Input echo", independent from recording. For MIDI, Sonar has "automatic" echo based on focus (so for one focused track).
- Reaper has no explicit "Input echo". But it has "Record monitor". In practice, that is "Input echo" which only works when the track is armed. Note that "automatic" monitor has nothing to do with the focus (it is for auto-punch recording). In most cases, when you have an intention to record your performance, such binding to record arm state make a lot of sense (together with automatic arming). For the case when you need "Input echo" but you do not want record the track (so you want record something else while this track just echo), there is an option "Record: disable". When set, Record arm does not work as such but allows "Record monitor" to work (the discussion how good is that is ongoing since 10 years, find the thread on Reaper forum. From that thread you can understand the intention).

This thread from 2008 with long time Sonar users Susan G and Gofer (Frank) seems to suggest that a custom action can be created for a single keystroke (with CTRL modifier) to set the mode of input monitoring that you are wanting.  The one issue here is that Gofer used PhotoBucket for a screen shot of the macro, and PhotoBucket is web unfriendly now and displays a "GIVE US SOME MONEY" graphic.  Here's the link, and Susan G says it works great to function like Sonar behavior, so it appears that with a custom action, it can be done. Ya might hit Susan up, she hangs out on the REAPER forum, and may be able to tell you what was in that custom action macro.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=23518

Glennbo

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/11 08:33:43 (permalink)
At that point it is worse to mention:

In Reaper, any combination of actions can be defined as a custom action and so assigned to some keyboard shortcut (and/or added to menu).
If some action can not be found, with hi probability SWS Extensions define it.
If something is not even in SWS extensions, someone has already written a custom script.
If there is no custom script and you can not write it, ask on the forum and someone will write it for you till the end of the day

For example:
Track: Toggle record arm for selected tracks (or Track: Toggle automatic record-arm for track selected)
Track: Set track record mode to none (monitoring only)
Track: Set track record monitor to on

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/11 14:27:56 (permalink)
azslow3
At that point it is worse to mention:

In Reaper, any combination of actions can be defined as a custom action and so assigned to some keyboard shortcut (and/or added to menu).
If some action can not be found, with hi probability SWS Extensions define it.
If something is not even in SWS extensions, someone has already written a custom script.
If there is no custom script and you can not write it, ask on the forum and someone will write it for you till the end of the day

For example:
Track: Toggle record arm for selected tracks (or Track: Toggle automatic record-arm for track selected)
Track: Set track record mode to none (monitoring only)
Track: Set track record monitor to on

Looks like those actions are probably the ones that were in that graphic that PhotoBucket removed.  Have you tried making your own custom action using those three? It looks like they would do what you are after. 

The only custom action I've created for myself in REAPER has been a "Re-Do" function that I assigned to an infrared remote control that I use with a USB-UIRT receiver. My Re-Do function performs an instant re-take for when I'm recording bass, drums, or guitar and play something I don't like. Hitting the Re-Do button on my remote triggers my custom action which performs a "Stop | Undo | Rewind | Record" so I can instantly be back into record from the same spot and recording another take before I lose the groove of what I'm trying to play. 

Glennbo

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1