Helpful ReplySonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
2017/12/07 00:04:05 (permalink)

Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts.

First off, You can install REAPER as a PORTABLE APPLICATION by CHECKING the BOX from the installation file. 

I am using Sonar Platinum, and I have every intention to stick with Sonar Platinum forever to record my music. It just works for me and has everything I need to do so. Hopefully my backup play will work, but if it does not then I will move over to the Reaper Daw. 

I have NOTHING to do with REAPER or their SITE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!

Or that is : I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL YOU ONE WAY OR ANOTHER ON A DAW!!!! Over the years I have come to know many of your that I chat with in emails and over these forums, so I thought I would try and provide some information that might help you if you feel you need to change DAW's. 

A while back I piddled with Reaper, and I found that it could pretty much do anything and everything. I am a Sonar Fan, it does everything also for MY NEEDS. But I do realize some of you need to move forward and to a DAW that has support. 

I just wanted to offer some tips and links if you want to give the Reaper DAW a try. 

Keep in mind first and foremost, you can install Reaper as a portable DAW, you just need to PAY ATTENTION when installing and select the right CHECK options. You can install it on a Flash drive or whatever if you want by doing so. 

Using the Reaper Daw : 

One thing you will find switching from Sonar to Reaper is the menu's have every option under the sun on them. You can simplify them by adding the EASY MENU, the DEFAULT options are still there, they are at the bottom of every drop down menu. 
You can get the Easy  Menu's here :    https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58672&highlight=menu

Make Reaper Look like Cakewalk Themes : 
As for Cakewalk looking THEMES, Here's a couple of links for that, although I caution you that it's best to learn the standard REAPER theme before you go making changes on themes because if you don't know what your doing from the start selections might be irritating if changes themes.  

Two Cakewalk based Themes : 

The Triton : STONAR THEME : You can get it here, scroll to the bottom of the screen to see the option to get it. 
http://tritonreaperthemes.webs.com/free

There is another them called Alternative here that looks a lot like Cakewalk themes : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1385/Alternate.zip

For those wondering about vocal pitch correction, you can do all of that in Reaper, it's built in and simple to do. Here's a link to how to do that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=AVd8xpZ6rNU

You don't need Melodyne, Although Reaper announced recently from what I heard that they will be soon supporting ARA. And I should mention that if you have Melodyne Essentials, it works fine for now in Reaper, it just does NOT have ARA with the current version. 

As for Notation, That is a feature I never used, but here is a video link that will tell you more on that feature in Reaper. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dO6doe5hw4

If I were you, and you try out Reaper I would create a TEMPLATE for your basic use and save it and build off of that. It makes things easier when you are trying to start again after trying to learn a new DAW. 

Reaper can do anything that Sonar can, as far as I know. The thing that so many people miss are the JS scripts, there are a TON of them. 

I would suggest that you install the SW for REAPER from here for your PC : http://sws-extension.org/ 

After doing so, run Reaper and check out the JS plugs, it's insane at how many actions there are for that. 

LOOK : I am not trying to sell you one way or another on any daw, But I know a lot of you are looking to change and I thought I would offer a little bit of advice for those looking a the Reaper daw to make things perhaps a bit easier. 

For me I plan on sticking with Sonar Platinum, but Reaper is my backup plan just in case. 

As for those of you wanting to know more, or see more in action, you can find out about anything you want to know HERE : 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq297H7Ca98HlB5mVFHGSsQ/videos

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope this helps someone, and that is my sole purpose!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 00:09:47 (permalink)
Something else to THINK about.  The way REAPER handles FOLDERS is a bit confusing at first. When you create a FOLDER and add track to it in Reaper it makes it a BUS, so you need to select the FOLDER track and change the SEND options to where the "MASTER SEND" is not checked, that way it doesn't control the volume for EVERY SINGLE track in the FOLDER. 

the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 03:14:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ooblecaboodle 2017/12/07 14:57:26
Serious_Noize!
Something else to THINK about.  The way REAPER handles FOLDERS is a bit confusing at first. When you create a FOLDER and add track to it in Reaper it makes it a BUS, so you need to select the FOLDER track and change the SEND options to where the "MASTER SEND" is not checked, that way it doesn't control the volume for EVERY SINGLE track in the FOLDER.

This is of course if you are trying to make REAPER work like SONAR, which you CAN do.  Alternatively, you could allow REAPER to function like REAPER works natively, and might find out that you like it.  That's what I did.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 11:03:47 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!

This is of course if you are trying to make REAPER work like SONAR, which you CAN do.  Alternatively, you could allow REAPER to function like REAPER works natively, and might find out that you like it.  That's what I did.

Good point. That's the great thing about Reaper, you can make it work however you want. 

Bobby

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 11:07:11 (permalink)
If you want to make Reapers cursors like PT you can find out how at this link. 

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=505736&postcount=508

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 13:39:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pbognar 2017/12/07 19:09:59
Another tip for Reaper, not sure what the keys are for Mac. But if you are using Windows and Reaper and you have several theme's and want to switch between theme quickly then 

Hold CTRL + ALT and press PgUP or pgDn to quickly change between the various themes you have installed. 

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 13:59:52 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!

Sorry, I could not follow that... if you uncheck "MASTER SEND" in the FOLDER track, till included tracks already have extra sends, you just get no sound from them.

But I agree with the confusion after Sonar. The first think I hit in Reaper was "where can I select the OUTPUT bus for a track ???".

Since Reaper has almost endless flexibility in routing, at the same time intuitive and with perfectly working defaults (once you understand general approach of routing in Reaper) and Sonar has old "dogmatic" schema extended with hacks like folders/aux tracks, there is absolutely no reason in attempt to mimic that aspect of Sonar in Reaper.
Note: it IS possible to make exact "Sonar folder" in Reaper.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 15:42:42 (permalink)
azslow3
Serious_Noize!

Sorry, I could not follow that... if you uncheck "MASTER SEND" in the FOLDER track, till included tracks already have extra sends, you just get no sound from them.

But I agree with the confusion after Sonar. The first think I hit in Reaper was "where can I select the OUTPUT bus for a track ???".

Since Reaper has almost endless flexibility in routing, at the same time intuitive and with perfectly working defaults (once you understand general approach of routing in Reaper) and Sonar has old "dogmatic" schema extended with hacks like folders/aux tracks, there is absolutely no reason in attempt to mimic that aspect of Sonar in Reaper.
Note: it IS possible to make exact "Sonar folder" in Reaper.

I apologize, I haven't set that up for a while and made a mistake. 

When I first tried Reaper it took a while for me to get used to right clicking over Record for audio tracks to select "Monitor Input & or Monitor Input when recording" because in Sonar you have an icon there you can click for that. 

For most it's easier just to have the Folder as a BUS. But for me I prefer to have the Folder track just be a track that does nothing but holds the folders for better organization and route the individual tracks to the Master. It's whatever you would like to use, that's just my personal preference. 

If you want the Folder track to just be a FOLDER track and send your individual Child tracks in that folder here's how I do that. You are correct, you have to create the BUS track.

If you make say 3 audio tracks, then you select the icon option on the top track to make that track a folder track, the tracks below it become the child tracks for that folder and all the sound from the child tracks will go through the Folder track as it is a BUS for the child tracks at that point.

If you don't want that, and would prefer the FOLDER track to work like a folder track where the volume control for the folder track has no effect on the child tracks "Although keep in mind MUTE on the folder track will still MUTE the child tracks, the volume control wont do anything".

What you can do is create an audio track bus, CTRL+T or Right Click "Insert Track" and name it "MASTER BUS", when you create that track to be your master bus you will need to drag it all the way to the bottom so that it isn't in that track folder.  

On the "MASTER" bus track you created select "ROUTE" and make sure "MASTER SEND" is checked.

After doing that go back to your Folder track and select "ROUTE" and uncheck "MASTER SEND".

Next step is to go to both the Child tracks in the folder and select "ROUTE" and make sure that "Parent SEND" is "UNCHECKED".

After doing this while still in "ROUTE" select "ADD NEW SEND" and have the child tracks send to the "MASTER BUS" you created earlier. Do that for all the Child tracks you wanted routed through the Bus you created. 

It's important to note that if you are RECORDING audio that "Input Monitoring needs to be on for the Child tracks" if you don't have that selected you wont see anything that your RECORDING showing on the meter on the bus it is being sent to while you are recording, but that all depends on what you want to do. 

It's a bit confusing, and I hope I explained what I was talking about better here. 

There's other options and ways to do things. You don't have to open ROUTE every time you want to make a change, you can just right click over it and do some things that way. 

For me, the first thing I did was to get everything set up and save it as a basic template so the next time I want to record I wont have to do that again.

The better menu SET that I mentioned earlier can be very helpful in finding things, but at the same time if your watching the Reaper tutorials and your menu is not the same as theirs it can make finding things harder. Although the good thing with the better menu set is on each drop down menu at the bottom there is always the "DEFAULT MENU :" that you can access to see everything for that drop down menu as it normally is. 

I use Addictive Drums 2 in Reaper, but when I do that I have all the drums on individual tracks in the AD2 Folder, but I leave the Folder track as the Parent BUS. 

It's just however you want to work with it. 

som_c
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 15:58:37 (permalink)
First thank you NOIZE /Bobby and all for this kind very informative and much needed post.

I so badly needed this pointer as I am totally devastated being a Sonar Platinum User who invested a "fortune" from his very meagre amount of earning to buy most of the Cakewalk Products with a hope to earn some extra money from his home studio to meet up the ever increasing medical expenditure. Unfortunately everything ended in smoke. 

I am giving Reaper a try. I found this very stable, light weight and highly customizable alternative to Sonar.  

Could you kindly suggest how to substitute the premium Pro Channel modules of Sonar ( viz. Concrete Limiter, Console Emulator, Some compressors, the Flyout Eq)? Is there any free Reaper compatible alternative of those, especially the "concrete limiter"? 

Regards,
Som

Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 16:07:12 (permalink)
On of the positive things about the native function of folders in REAPER is that for instance, if you put Kontakt on a track, and designate that track as a folder, then all the child tracks in the folder are instantly sending midi upward to Kontakt, and together they all make a nice neat self contained instrument/audio/midi structure.

Glennbo

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 17:35:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby som_c 2017/12/07 18:17:02
som_c
First thank you NOIZE /Bobby and all for this kind very informative and much needed post.

I so badly needed this pointer as I am totally devastated being a Sonar Platinum User who invested a "fortune" from his very meagre amount of earning to buy most of the Cakewalk Products with a hope to earn some extra money from his home studio to meet up the ever increasing medical expenditure. Unfortunately everything ended in smoke. 

I am giving Reaper a try. I found this very stable, light weight and highly customizable alternative to Sonar.  

Could you kindly suggest how to substitute the premium Pro Channel modules of Sonar ( viz. Concrete Limiter, Console Emulator, Some compressors, the Flyout Eq)? Is there any free Reaper compatible alternative of those, especially the "concrete limiter"? 

Regards,
Som

Your welcome, I just hope I explained things right. 

I'm not sure about a concrete limiter. 

Something you can look into, if you haven't already done so, check out the JS plugins, ADD FX and you'll see the "JS" folder with the JS Plugins in it. You can do a TON of stuff with those, although you can download ton's of JS effects from the Reaper Resource page here also : https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/JS-Effects

If you are wondering how to install those effects in Reaper here's a link with a Video that shows you how : https://reaperblog.net/2016/02/how-to-install-js-plugins/

Not sure about finding alternatives. This may interest you, although I haven't tried it. Code Red Free
http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/product.php?id=106

Pretty good site to find some free vst's is Vst4Free, they have a lot of different ones there.
http://www.vst4free.com/

Reaper comes with ReaComp. The Sonitus plugins from Sonar Platinum seem to work fine in Reaper. Not all the Sonitus plugins from Sonar in Reaper show up in the DX folder, some like the Sonitus Gate are listed in the VST category even though on the name it says Sonitusfx Gate (DX). 

Something to keep in mind, you can create FX chains easily in Reaper. This tells you how to do that here - 
https://www.audiorecording.me/reaper-fx-chain-tutorial-for-beginners.html

If you haven't setup screen sets yet you should checkout this video that shows you how. The reason I mention that is you mentioned the flyout EQ in Sonar Plat. If you create a mix view and add an EQ to the FX bin, you can click on it and it will pop up, but it wont fly out like in Sonar Platinum. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzz3uXI1b2E

The way the (x86) plugins load for me were irritating with the extra menu, what I did to get rid of that was select "ADD FX", select "ALL Plugins", and down at the bottom where it says FILTER type in (x86) , this way it will show you all the 32 bit plugins, simply click on one of the FX and press CTRL + A to select all "Not sure about Mac keys", and then while all those (x86) plugins are selected right click and select Run as embedded bridge UI, it tells you out beside it (May not work with all plugins, less crash resilient). So far I haven't had any problems with my (x86) plugins, but I don't use many of them. 

Make sure you clear where you typed in FILTER (x86) or none of the other FX will show up until you do. I made that mistake myself. 

You should check out this thread about unlocking the AAS VSTI's from Sonar Platinum and the other thread about getting the unlock codes from Overloud for their TH3 Cakewalk Addition, Breverb 2 Cakewalk Edition, ReMatrix Cakewalk edition. I got my codes for those today and followed the instructions and they work fine in Reaper. the 

https://www.overloud.com/news/overloud-welcomes-cakewalk-customers

http://forum.cakewalk.com/AAS-Unlocking-SonarTied-Plugins-m3703420.aspx

I have absolutely nothing to do with Reaper at all, my plan is to continue to use Sonar but have Reaper ready if I need it. The thing is though, I just record my own music and am not a professional. I'm just trying to post some things that might make it easier on others who are thinking about using Reaper. 

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

azslow3
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 18:29:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby som_c 2017/12/07 18:33:56
Serious_Noize!
On the "MASTER" bus track you created select "ROUTE" and make sure "MASTER SEND" is checked.

After doing that go back to your Folder track and select "ROUTE" and uncheck "MASTER SEND".

Next step is to go to both the Child tracks in the folder and select "ROUTE" and make sure that "Parent SEND" is "UNCHECKED".

After doing this while still in "ROUTE" select "ADD NEW SEND" and have the child tracks send to the "MASTER BUS" you created earlier. Do that for all the Child tracks you wanted routed through the Bus you created. 

Just to avoid someone else read that and think "omg, that is boring...". Fast way (like 5sec) to do this sequence (for any number of tracks in the folder):
1) press "Alt+R" or select  "View/Routing matrix"
2) Click+drag in the first column (with "F"s) throw all child tracks, to disable the send to parent
3) Click+drag in the column with "MASTER" track throw all child tracks, to add sends from all of them
Note: for some reason, "click dragging" is not work for removing these sends... but "Undo" works fine in case you have "painted" on wrong place

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
cool
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 18:48:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby azslow3 2017/12/07 19:28:44
Hi, fellas!

I recently wrote an article about my experience with the transition from Sonar to Reaper. Also, I shared my config and the theme. As it seems to me, I managed to significantly bring Reaper closer to Sonar - I added many key functions and familiar hotkeys/mouse modifiers/navigations.

There is one BUT. I'm sorry, but the article is completely in Russian, but you can use services like google translate.
http://rmmedia.ru/threads/130181/#post-2183317

Regards, Max

English is not my native language. Apologize for any mistakes in the text.
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 19:12:11 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!
som_c
Is there any free Reaper compatible alternative of those, especially the "concrete limiter"? 

If Concrete Limiter is what it sounds like by it's name, a "BRICKWALL" limiter, then one of the absolute best ones I've found is the totally free "W1", which is a Waves "L1" clone. I use the crap out of the W1 in my projects.

http://www.yohng.com/software/w1limit.html

A 3rd party comparison of the W1 and L1.

http://redfaux.typepad.com/the_redfaux_transmission/2010/01/is-the-free-yohng-w1-limiter-really-a-waves-l1-clone.html

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 19:33:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cool 2017/12/08 04:30:08
cool
There is one BUT. I'm sorry, but the article is completely in Russian, but you can use services like google translate.
http://rmmedia.ru/threads/130181/#post-2183317

Nice explanatiton and mod of theme.
But I have decided to stay in the default theme, at least for the beginning... to not be lost

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 20:26:41 (permalink)
azslow3
Serious_Noize!

Just to avoid someone else read that and think "omg, that is boring...". Fast way (like 5sec) to do this sequence (for any number of tracks in the folder):
1) press "Alt+R" or select  "View/Routing matrix"
2) Click+drag in the first column (with "F"s) throw all child tracks, to disable the send to parent
3) Click+drag in the column with "MASTER" track throw all child tracks, to add sends from all of them
Note: for some reason, "click dragging" is not work for removing these sends... but "Undo" works fine in case you have "painted" on wrong place

Thanks for the information. I'm no expert on Reaper by no means, I completely forgot about the Routing Matrix option, I'm relearning some of this stuff myself. So what you shared really simplified things for me. 
I hope others share tips here, that's the whole purpose of this thread, to help anyone who's trying to switch from Sonar to Reaper. 

Here's a good video on using the Routing Matrix with examples for anyone interested : 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFAW1bjMvds

Thanks again! 

Bobby

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 20:39:03 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!
som_c
Is there any free Reaper compatible alternative of those, especially the "concrete limiter"? 

If Concrete Limiter is what it sounds like by it's name, a "BRICKWALL" limiter, then one of the absolute best ones I've found is the totally free "W1", which is a Waves "L1" clone. I use the crap out of the W1 in my projects.

http://www.yohng.com/software/w1limit.html

A 3rd party comparison of the W1 and L1.

http://redfaux.typepad.com/the_redfaux_transmission/2010/01/is-the-free-yohng-w1-limiter-really-a-waves-l1-clone.html

I wasn't sure about the Concrete name myself, my first thought was "Brick wall" but I'm no pro and haven't used much in the way of limiters. Although recently I started using Sonar's Adaptive Limiter and liked it for the few things I tried it on.

I've piddled with this FREE VST called LoudMax, it seems to work pretty good depending on your needs. 
https://loudmax.blogspot.com/

Here's a video review of LoudMax. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN5oUzEZsks

post edited by Serious_Noize! - 2017/12/07 21:01:11

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 22:32:52 (permalink)
It's not Melodyne, but you can tune vocals in reaper with it's built in ReaTune. That being said, Melodyne Essentials for those of you who have Sonar Platinum will work in Reaper, it just doesn't have the ARA. 

Although, ARA is coming soon to Reaper, how soon I have no idea. Here's the announcement for that thread :
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200297

As for tuning vocals using Reapers ReaTune, here's how you do that. Make no mistake, it can do a whole lot, not just for vocals either, but it isn't as easy to use as Melodyne for pitch correction, but it does work great. 

Here's a video on using it : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCb313W6yf0

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/07 23:14:01 (permalink)
If you don't already know about it, THIS GOES FOR ANY DAW. 

For those of you who used the BT Stereo Imager in Sonar, you know by now the BT plugins wont work in any other daw.

Well, Here's honestly a better free alternative to that plug in that you can get now from Izotope. It's Izotope Stereo Imager and it works great!

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/master-and-deliver/ozone/ozone-imager.html

Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 00:17:19 (permalink)
Reaper is becoming an interesting option. Thanks for all the info!

The Melodyne topic is definitely one point of interest. So if you don't have Melodyne, you'll need to buy it or will there be a release of Reaper that includes it I wonder.

How do you guys find Reaper for editing normal wav files compared to Sonar?
Thanks.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
jonboper
  • Total Posts : 323
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 00:27:26 (permalink)
I've been learning Reaper over the last couple of days after having used Sonar for the last 15 years.

I've had to watch the videos, the ones by Gioia, and now I'm able to use Reaper well enough to do the basics and then some. For people changing over I highly recommend taking advantage of the videos - you'll learn a ton about the settings that you can change to make your experience more like what you're used to (and the settings that will expand on what you're used to).

The audio editing environment is impressive. You can do things you are not able to with Sonar.

http://smaltmine.bandcamp.com/
https://booleanoperators.bandcamp.com/

All music was recorded and all in Sonar.

jonboper
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 00:48:23 (permalink)
One thing I don't get: what is the SWS/S&M Extension? I get from the forum that most are using it, but the page doesn't explain itself...

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 00:55:03 (permalink)
Mully
Reaper is becoming an interesting option. Thanks for all the info!

The Melodyne topic is definitely one point of interest. So if you don't have Melodyne, you'll need to buy it or will there be a release of Reaper that includes it I wonder.

How do you guys find Reaper for editing normal wav files compared to Sonar?
Thanks.

There is ReaTune, which works on vocals and instruments and such. It has an Auto mode, earlier in the thread I was mentioning it with a video on how to use it. 

Your right about that though, if you don't have Melodyne Essentials and even if you do the ARA part for some is a big issue. But according to what I've read ARA is coming to Reaper soon, how soon, I have no idea. 

If you already own Sonar Platinum or Sonar Pro then Melodyne Essentials and Addictive drums 2 will work fine in Reaper without any problems, those are independent from Sonar and not tied to it. You just wont have the ARA with Melodyne Essentials. 

As for editing normal wav's in Reaper, that all depends on what you consider normal. You have a lot of options, honestly so many it's ridiculous and overwhelming just getting started with Reaper. 

You can make Reaper work how you want, or you can use Reaper as is.

The last time I visited Reaper I found myself spending a whole lot of time trying to configure the DAW rather than creating music. That's the biggest complaint I have with Reaper, there are no basic templates and no start menu to show you the way. There are TON's of tutorials, but if you are sitting down to record, you don't want to watch a tutorial and hope you get it right, you want to click record and start playing ya know. 

Other than that, once you get it setup HOW YOU WANT IT and save things as a template along with the preference settings you are good to go at that point. 

You were asking about working with Wav's. Maybe this will answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2SlBMpzwY

I hope my information and thoughts I am posting here helps someone. I am not trying to SELL YOU on REAPER or any other DAW. I'm just trying to post helpful information for those of you who are trying out new DAW's with a few things that helped me in the hopes that it might save you some time trying to find a few things. 

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 00:56:20 (permalink)
jonboper
One thing I don't get: what is the SWS/S&M Extension? I get from the forum that most are using it, but the page doesn't explain itself...

That really confused me also when I first tried Reaper. Here's a video about it that explains it. It allows you to customize Reaper to work however you would like it to, meaning you can make it work like any other DAW, but even more so you can add custom actions and such things.  Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCfjDsA6-qE

You can get the latest SWS software from here for Reaper, IT'S FREE but I would encourage donating because a lot of work went into them making it for them to be giving it away to everyone : 
http://www.sws-extension.org/

Check out the Reaper Resources page, you can get Themes, JS Plugins, Maps for Keys & Drums, and pretty much about anything you want here : https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Themes

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 01:13:26 (permalink)
Mully,

Audio editing native to Reaper is good, but the real power is in 3rd party plugins linked to the Reaper tasks.
Has been mentioned that the 11 MB installer is that small because no bloat. Reapers strength in this regard is the rock stability registering VST and VSTI plugs from external sources, not what is supplied by the program (in some cases...).

The Cockos plugs, their EQ, ReaControlMidi, gates and comps, ReaFir, others are hi five excellent. JS plugs are all over the map and the cool option to roll your own with a few text skills easy to learn.
Otherwise Reaper is like a Christmas tree without a lot of commercial ornaments. You add the lights and bells as needed from external sources with about the best probability anywhere that you will be able to use your plugins.

In the preferences or Reaper, there is a section for external editors. Whatever you got, Audacity, Audition, Acon stuff, whatever. Point in the preferences to the exe file of the editor.
CNTRL+ALT+E will then open the editor of choice for whatever is needed in a selected track with audio wav data recorded.

Note that if the unisex track is set to receive midi data and there is data on the track, double click on the track opens the native midi editor. Sonar midi editing is currently at least more friendly IMHO. Can do about anything midi in Reaper that I need however. Break even point in the sights, looking ahead up the road. Sonar is fixed and receding in time. Beautiful antique dear to all of us here, or we wouldn't be here.. Reaper has been going balls to the wall, hard on upgrades, subtle improvements at almost a frightening pace.

Hope any of this makes sense.

John
jonboper
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 01:36:34 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!

That really confused me also when I first tried Reaper. Here's a video about it that explains it. It allows you to customize Reaper to work however you would like it to, meaning you can make it work like any other DAW, but even more so you can add custom actions and such things.  Hope this helps!

Thanks, did watch that video: so the SWS extension is an additional set of Actions?

Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 02:08:38 (permalink)
Johan and Bobby thank you for the replies and detailed responses, really appreciated.
It seems a no brainer to buy one of the other upgrade offers just to get Melodyne. I'm back into recording after a long break and still have X2 hence the interest.

I was about to also pull the trigger on Harrison Mixbus (might still happen) and then stumbled across this: http://www.houseofwhiteti...erial/wt_imperial.html

Wow...Reaper suddenly got very attractive and given the edit-ability (thanks for the video link guys) and I'm excited to make music again.

So much to learn and it is actually now becoming a little exciting to be honest. V-Studio gear is now for sale

Again, thank you.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
azslow3
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 08:10:14 (permalink)
jonboper
Serious_Noize!

Thanks, did watch that video: so the SWS extension is an additional set of Actions?

Long time ago, music programs creators have realized they can not do everything themselves in one closed program. They was far from the first. "Extensions" for a program is something which can be somehow "added" to it, for extended functionality. For that, some "agreement" should be made how extra "program" can communication with the core program, some API (Application Programming Interface).

Most known in the DAW world at the moment is VST API. It allows create audio and MIDI processors independent from a DAW.

But stream (only) based VST covers only one aspect of the DAW, signal processing, but even there it has clear limits. Melodyne is an example. It is a signal processor and can work as a VST, but it needs the whole "region" of audio and required "playing" first to transfer the audio. To simplify that operation, they have introduced ARA (yet another API, complimentary to VST).

Sonar support several APIs: VST, DX/DXI, MFX, CAL, ARA, ProChannel, ACT. That covers a lot, but far from all aspects of Sonar. There are also "themes", but they are just image replacements, not the functionality of the interface.

Reaper is on the "next level" of that evolution. It exposes much more. "Extensions" can modify the interface and modify almost everything in the project, DIRECTLY. A kind of "mega ARA" (and the reason ARA was not implemented before, they have more generic way to access project data, why implement something custom, for one plug-in?).

SWS is the most known project among extensions for Reaper.

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 13:02:54 (permalink)
I should have mentioned at the start of this thread. You can make Reaper a Portable installation if you would like to use it that way, or just try it out without installing. 

It's pretty simple, for Windows when you run the installer you just Check the box that says "Portable Install".

You can make a portable install for Mac's but I don't use a Mac, here's a link on how you do that for Mac's. 

https://reaperblog.net/2016/06/quick-tip-portable-install/

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar to Reaper : Some helpful Advice and links on how to do things, and thoughts. 2017/12/08 13:10:21 (permalink)
    Just learned that Reaper could stream music to shout cast. That might be a handy feature for some. 

https://reaperblog.net/2017/11/how-to-use-reacast/

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1