Helpful ReplySoooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5.3)?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Matt
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 22:41:00 (permalink)
Tripecac
I'm a long-time Sonar user (since the ProAudio days).  I use it primarily for MIDI and soft synths.

My favorite version was 8.5.3.  X1 and X2 and X3 added "stuff" but didn't improve my productivity or enjoyment of using the program. 

Does the new version of Sonar significantly improve the UI for those of us who are mostly dealing with soft synths?  Does it increase the customizability?  Does it give us back some of the control that X1/2/3 took away from us?  Does it improve your overall workflow/efficiency?

Or does it just add more "stuff"?

Man I read your post and it was like I typed it myself.  I apologize I barely read the forums anymore maybe once a month and I was too lazy to even read this whole thread.  I just want to reiterate your words "8.5.3 was the best version for me."  I'm using X3 now and it's fine but it hasn't added anything.  Except for a bunch of stuff I don't use.  Again I apologize, guess I can't throw stones towards the newest version of SONAR since I haven't upgraded but I've completely lost interest.  It's not getting the colors back to the way they were in 8.5.3?  Aside from a bunch of workarounds I don't want.   I definitely don't care about the cost, and I definitely don't want the any of the 'stuff'.  I want a really stable program, actually with no 'stuff', and I think I'm in the minority.  But anyway nice to read your post.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 23:13:28 (permalink)
I for one am glad for this post. I've never been able to convince myself that upgrading from 853 will be worth it. I would like to, but for me, the workflow in 853 is perfect. I compose for orchestra, and I need to see that long track view list of instruments. the skylight interface appears to have done away with that. I can see that for most, it's probably an improvement. But there are a few of us who prefer the "old ways."

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

williamcopper
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 23:59:51 (permalink)
I definitely don't want the any of the 'stuff'.  I want a really stable program, actually with no 'stuff', and I think I'm in the minority.

I'm with you.   Hell with the craplets they keep adding: just want a fast, effective, piece of software.

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 01:58:57 (permalink)
Travis - I went to your website and listened to some of your music, and based on what I heard I would tell you that you can stick to Sonar 8.5. You're right: you don't need the extra content that was added in the "X" series or in the new version released this year. Most of the users on this forum have found X3e to be super stable, as is the 2015 release, and while that stability is probably all you need to do the work you're doing, those versions do have a bunch of "stuff," as well as a UI you don't like, so why not go back to Sonar 8.5.3 and make yourself happy? Or even switch to something like Reaper, which is very affordable and doesn't come with much "stuff" at all?

On a personal note, I was the owner of a 2-inch tape-based 16-track studio in Hollywood back in the day. I also visited many of the studios in LA, and I knew a lot of other owners, and I can tell you that among the pros there was nobody saying they did not want to try out the next piece of technology, no matter what it was. And the creative ones often would find a way that nobody else had thought of to put that new technology to use in ways that changed the business. The only reason any of us did not "upgrade" every month was money. The big guys who had the bucks were constantly acquiring new gear and using it to make great sounds. So now that we have a hundred times more power than even the fanciest studios in the 70s, and for only a few hundred dollars, I think you and I are really lucky to be living and working in this digital era. I look forward to learning the new stuff and using it to make music. I keep an open mind about the changes that Cakewalk puts into the program periodically, and who knows? I may do something really great with it some day.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
MusicforMovies
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 03:01:06 (permalink)
I've been using Cakewalk since the Twelve-Tone PC; Midi only days; not too happy with the subscription fee thing; will go the one time fee I suppose; would really like to see some better editing capability in the piano roll department along the lines of Cubase.  For some reason I don't mind paying a sub fee for Netflix, but I much prefer an upgrade every several years and one time fee versus the sub model for work software.   Not very happy, but I'll try the new version.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 03:08:34 (permalink)
Stay with whatever version makes you happy. No one makes you upgrade. It's voluntary.

But there's obviously lots of folks who have upgraded and are making good music with the latest version and prefer it to 8.5.3

It took me ages to like the Skylight interface, but once I stopped going back and forth between the X series and 8.53 I found the benefits. I also relaised that the Sonar that was 8.5 was not going to be enhanced any further and if I wanted new features there was only one way.

Every now and again I open 8.53 for an old project and I gotta say it's an ugly crowded mess where things are just so difficult to find.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 03:48:05 (permalink)
It seems that much of the OP is geared toward UI issues and work flow features. The UI didn't revert, and most likely never will, but some enhancements have been added. As far as features, the best way to check things out is to read the release notes and the forums (as they are added).

As you own X3, that is really the best "test bed" for what is an what you would like to see. X3e made the most "quantum leap" IMO as far as stability and features (Speed Comping, ARA, VST3 support, return of some color options, etc). If X3e is still bothersome to you, it is pretty much all still there.

[And now for the candid downside...] Being a hobbyist as well, I find most of the "stuff" less than impressive which is only exacerbated by how the Command Center distributes this "stuff." I have actually spent more time cleaning up/managing installations than I have doing anything music-related with Platinum to date, so new features have been far overshadowed for me (I cannot even rattle off what they are because I have used so few). It is almost like if I want to make music, I turn to X3; if I want to do computer maintenance, I use Platinum. The "stuff-fest" concept is the Achilles heel for me to use Platinum for the purpose of making music.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 04:32:07 (permalink)
MusicforMovies
I've been using Cakewalk since the Twelve-Tone PC; Midi only days; not too happy with the subscription fee thing; will go the one time fee I suppose; would really like to see some better editing capability in the piano roll department along the lines of Cubase.  For some reason I don't mind paying a sub fee for Netflix, but I much prefer an upgrade every several years and one time fee versus the sub model for work software.   Not very happy, but I'll try the new version.

The recurring fee *only* applies if you choose to go month to month. As has been explained innumerable times if you pay the annual price there is zero difference from buying it outright and you permanently own the software so you can choose to update after many years just as before.  Here is a link to an excellent review on SONAR that features an interview with Jimmy Landry who answers several questions about membership.
SONAR has tons of editing enhancements in the piano roll so its not clear what you find missing. There is also a brand new pattern tool.

Regarding people upgrading from the pre X1 days, yes the UI is different so for some folks it might be a bit of a learning curve. However there is no question that in terms of stability and depth SONAR is light years ahead of 8.5. There must be thousands of issues present in 8.5 that have since been resolved! The UI in 8.5 is not adaptive and it had a great deal of redundancy and clutter making it very difficult for new users to learn quickly. 

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 07:58:11 (permalink)
mudgel
Stay with whatever version makes you happy. No one makes you upgrade. It's voluntary.

such a shame we can't get the fixes without the rest of it eh?
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] There must be thousands of issues present in 8.5 that have since been resolved!

if only they were acknowledged and fixed at the time, eh?

just a sec

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 15:24:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2015/04/20 15:42:33
I'm sure we'll figure out how to do that once software engineers learn how to predict the future.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 15:43:19 (permalink)
Microsoft is not going back to fix any lingering issues with windows XP ( the dominant OS when 8.5.3) was introduced so I think it is insane to expect fixes to 8.5.3. I doubt any company goes back that far to fix bugs With the exception of products that have an extremely slow development life
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 15:55:34 (permalink)
Perhaps this will explain the "OP" perspective:

My music making is very basic (which Larry Jones probably noticed).  I keep the piano roll on the left monitor and the track view on the right monitor.  I pick some [virtual] instruments in Kontakt or Dimension, and then improvise some ideas, copy-and-paste the ones I like, and occasionally add vocals, or a tiny bit of guitar.  Usually my songs end up being 100% soft synth.

I like to work quickly, fixing my sloppy performances while the song is playing back.  So, being able to quickly adjust note positions, volumes, and durations "on the fly" is critical to me.  This is where X1/2/3 has been aggravating me.  I hate having to ctrl-right click in order to edit note properties.  Why can't I just right click, like in the older version of Sonar?  And why do I have to shift-drag in order to change selected notes' volumes?  Why can't I just drag?  And how about setting note offsets?  Why do I have to open the inspector to edit some track properties?  In the old days we didn't. And why has it become harder to use volume envelopes?  I liked them the old way, and wish I could force Sonar to behave that way again.  But I can't.  It's this lack of customizability which aggravates me.

And whatever happened to CAL?  I still use CAL scripts all the time, but CAL support has dwindled rather than improved.  I would love it if Cakewalk made it easy to create CAL scripts which help us "fix" our "usual" mistakes in real time.  I'm a programmer, so CAL and Studioware and those other "geeky" tools are part of what attracted me to Cakewalk/Sonar in the old days (as opposed to the more Apple-based products).  But nowadays Cakewalk seems to aim more at the "new gen" of computer users, the ones who don't want to program their own interfaces.  I can understand that we geeks represent a decreasing market share, but I wish Cakewalk would at least "throw us a bone" every now and then by giving us tools to customize Sonar the way we want.

Sorry if my geeky preferences come across as "idiotic" or "stupid" or "ignorant" or " lazy" or "baloney" (ahem) but
I really can't help that's I'm more of a nerdy type than an "artsy" type (as Larry probably noticed too).  My musical motto is, after all, "make lots of music, at least some of it good".  I like to make music because the act of making music is fun for me.  And, occasionally, I get lucky and create a bit of music that I think is fun to listen to later.  But it's the process which is the fun part, not necessarily the end result.  Perhaps this is the definition of a hobbyist?
What I want is a sequencer which is super-easy and efficient to use, and then a really cool sound bank.  Kontakt is great, and Dimension Pro is nice for a change.  I don't care about making my own sounds, and I hate the process of mixing and mastering (which Larry probably noticed) so I'm not into a ton of subtle effects or buses or gizmos that take me away from the "fun" part, which is improvising and stitching sections of music together.  I want to spend more time banging on the keyboard, not less.

So, if the new version of Sonar gives me more virtual instruments to play with, then great.  And if the pattern tool makes it easier to create looping beats, then great (although cut-and-paste is pretty darn easy!).  But if the bulk of time with the new version is spent configuring and correcting it (and not in a creative, CAL-like way, but in an annoying, reactive, autoexec.bat-like way) then no, no, no. 
post edited by Tripecac - 2015/04/20 16:02:18

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 16:03:29 (permalink)
I still wish they made a multi core versionof P5v2, and 64 bit too:)

I read in the paper that some sort of group was going to court to argue for the right to maintain old software for which the original companies had gone out of business. This group wanted to get old games running on new computers.

Since alot of the old 853 code must still linger in Sonar I cant see how it will ever be evolved unless Cakewalk did it themselves. It doesnt seem like a good way to make money, no matter what goodwill it would generate :)
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 16:05:56 (permalink)
I think the problem is more do with the development outweighs things that can be improved. However like any DAW, they are left in as they are because they work as is or there is no demand from users for development improvement. Maybe CAL can be used to create seemingly timely project templates on the fly; kind of like plug-in chains work. I was under the impression CAL had some rudimentary power however not to modify the environment to your every will though.

One thing that could maybe added would be a more graphical MIDI learn process, so your controllers are visible on a virtual keyboard interface . That's all I have at the moment as it's hard to concentrate listening to The Prodigy.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/20 18:01:13 (permalink)
I like to work quickly, fixing my sloppy performances while the song is playing back.  So, being able to quickly adjust note positions, volumes, and durations "on the fly" is critical to me.  This is where X1/2/3 has been aggravating me.  I hate having to ctrl-right click in order to edit note properties.  Why can't I just right click, like in the older version of Sonar?  And why do I have to shift-drag in order to change selected notes' volumes?  Why can't I just drag?

This is very brief as it's bedtime here.

But I can do all of this in Splat with having to control or shift click anything.
If a note needs it's position changing, just drag it in the prv.
If a note needs it's volume (velocity) adjusting, just drag it up/down in the controller lane.

Also, envelopes are a doddle to use in Splat, as they have been throughout the X series.
Highlight a section - click in the correct area and 4 nodes are created for you instantly. Now you can drag the section up/down, though you do need to use the ctrl key for this.

I'll try and get back to this thread tomorrow

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/17 22:36:13 (permalink)
I ended up getting the new Sonar a few months ago, and have been using it exclusively. 

Observations so far:

1) It doesn't add anything that I use regularly.  In fact, I don't think I've used any of its new features in actual songs.

2) It hasn't fixed any of the bugs (or "quirks") that I was experiencing with older versions.

3) It has introduced new bugs (such as the piano roll row colors getting off), and seems even "fiddlier" to use at times, particularly when dealing with real-time editing in the piano roll (which I do all the time).  It also has crashed far more often than X3 ever did.

Therefore, to anybody on the fence, I recommend waiting until Cakewalk has made a noticeable (and successful) effort to fix bugs rather than add new, rarely-used features.  Whatever "little" bug fixes they're releasing each month clearly aren't cutting it.  So, from my experience, upgrading has been a waste of money and time. :(

tripecac.com
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/17 23:13:54 (permalink)
Tripecac
I ended up getting the new Sonar a few months ago, and have been using it exclusively. 

Observations so far:

1) It doesn't add anything that I use regularly.  In fact, I don't think I've used any of its new features in actual songs.

2) It hasn't fixed any of the bugs (or "quirks") that I was experiencing with older versions.

3) It has introduced new bugs (such as the piano roll row colors getting off), and seems even "fiddlier" to use at times, particularly when dealing with real-time editing in the piano roll (which I do all the time).  It also has crashed far more often than X3 ever did.

Therefore, to anybody on the fence, I recommend waiting until Cakewalk has made a noticeable (and successful) effort to fix bugs rather than add new, rarely-used features.  Whatever "little" bug fixes they're releasing each month clearly aren't cutting it.  So, from my experience, upgrading has been a waste of money and time. :(

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the latest Sonar, but I dont think people should be about off trying it as your experience is not neccesarily typical. What you describe as 'rarely used features' are for me some of the best innovations Cakewalk have introduced in a long time (patch points, aux tracks, drum replacer, auto tempo mapping etc). It is also very stable, so if you are having crash issues it might be time for some system trouble shooting!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 09:43:27 (permalink)
tenfoot
Sorry to hear you are not happy with the latest Sonar, but I dont think people should be about off trying it as your experience is not neccesarily typical. What you describe as 'rarely used features' are for me some of the best innovations Cakewalk have introduced in a long time (patch points, aux tracks, drum replacer, auto tempo mapping etc).

To be fair, the OP did say at the beginning that he does primarily MIDI and soft synths, where things haven't changed all that much. The dramatic changes - Melodyne, ARA, patch points, Drum Replacer, VocalSync, ProChannel, QuadCurve EQ, Speed Comping, Convolution Reverb, Upsampling, improved Import/Export, DSD, Mix Recall, Synth Recording, etc. are more audio-oriented.

It is also very stable, so if you are having crash issues it might be time for some system trouble shooting!

Here I agree with you 100%, I can go months without a crash or freeze. That never happened pre-Platinum. But according to his sig he's using the pre-Gibson X1d and X2, which were not exactly known for extreme stability.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 10:12:18 (permalink)
Tripecac
I'm a long-time Sonar user (since the ProAudio days).  I use it primarily for MIDI and soft synths.

My favorite version was 8.5.3.  X1 and X2 and X3 added "stuff" but didn't improve my productivity or enjoyment of using the program. 

Does the new version of Sonar significantly improve the UI for those of us who are mostly dealing with soft synths?  Does it increase the customizability?  Does it give us back some of the control that X1/2/3 took away from us?  Does it improve your overall workflow/efficiency?

Or does it just add more "stuff"?

You can try the full version with no limitations for 90 days and experience it for yourself:

https://www.cakewalk.com/SONAR-Platinum-Extended-Trial

post edited by Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk] - 2016/04/18 10:55:30
tenfoot
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 10:26:24 (permalink)
Anderton
tenfoot
Sorry to hear you are not happy with the latest Sonar, but I dont think people should be about off trying it as your experience is not neccesarily typical. What you describe as 'rarely used features' are for me some of the best innovations Cakewalk have introduced in a long time (patch points, aux tracks, drum replacer, auto tempo mapping etc).

To be fair, the OP did say at the beginning that he does primarily MIDI and soft synths, where things haven't changed all that much. The dramatic changes - Melodyne, ARA, patch points, Drum Replacer, VocalSync, ProChannel, QuadCurve EQ, Speed Comping, Convolution Reverb, Upsampling, improved Import/Export, DSD, Mix Recall, Synth Recording, etc. are more audio-oriented.

It is also very stable, so if you are having crash issues it might be time for some system trouble shooting!

Here I agree with you 100%, I can go months without a crash or freeze. That never happened pre-Platinum. But according to his sig he's using the pre-Gibson X1d and X2, which were not exactly known for extreme stability.

Fair call - I didn't realise tripecac was referring to midi only features. Improvements there have been less than stellar. Despite the sig he does state that he is using the new Sonar excusively now though.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 11:08:16 (permalink)
Ah, yes, MIDI. 

It seems clear that CAL has been deprecated/abandoned. With MIDI it is more like a fading memory, still there in a usable form, but not at the front of the Cakewalk group mind. Has the skill set been lost in the drive to produce things like fancy audio routing? Yes there have been some MIDI editor (piano roll) changes, but unless I am wrong, there is still not even a way to route one MIDI track to multiple synths, let alone jump between instruments from a track with a MIDI patch point. Sooner or later, at least some of the kids who currently hammer away with the step sequencer are going to want more creative control. Is that potential market worth considering? Going head to head against ProTools for audio work may turn out to be a fool's errand, as more and more music is being created without recording real world audio. 
Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 12:40:17 (permalink)
You can try the full version with no limitations for 90 days and experience it for yourself:

https://www.cakewalk.com/SONAR-Platinum-Extended-Trial

Andrew, did you even read my previous post?  I purchased Sonar Platinum back in January.

I think Andrew's post is indicative of the problem with Cakewalk at the moment.  Ever since X1, the push is always sales, sales, sales, without ever actually addressing the bugs.

So, to those of you on the fence who are concerned about MIDI-based reliability, it looks like Sonar will continue to collect bugs and glitches, rather than shed them.  I recommend waiting until there is evidence on the forum that Cakewalk has taken steps to shift its focus back to customer satisfaction.  IMO the Cakewalk staff should keep the marketing off the forum and stop wasting our time, and theirs, with posts like the one you just witnessed from Andrew.

"Hey, that's a bit harsh, Tripecac.  Andrew was just trying to help."

By acting like a marketing bot?

tripecac.com

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 12:49:04 (permalink)
Tripecac

"Hey, that's a bit harsh, Tripecac.  Andrew was just trying to help."

By acting like a marketing bot?

Self censorship is sometimes superior to self blame.
It is a bit harsh. If you embrace the moral imperative to read every word of every post in a thread prior to responding with something you think might help, you are going to be spending a lot more time than Cakewalk probably budgets for its employees to interact on the forum. So he missed the post about you having already purchased it. Under those circumstances, pointing you at a free trial (without guessing that you already knew about the application) makes sense from a trying to be helpful perspective. That is clearly the best way to find out how it works for you. He actually did not say anything about buying the product.
michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 12:52:55 (permalink)
Stability would have to be the key for me. I currently have the Producer demo, but have not used it for a month or so. I was also demo-ing Reaper at the time, trying to decide which to buy. I'm now leaning toward Reaper, because they are working on a notation editor that looks like it will be superior to Sonar's. 8.5.3 had not crashed for me in a long time, until last night. but that is probably because of the Vienna Special Edition synth, which I just added back in to my current project. I was trying to do without it, but the sounds are too good. But it causes me a lot of issues, it just doesn't play well with 8.5.3. Although I'm getting a handle on how to deal with that. Now, this is something that might not happen in Sonar Pro (I can't tell because I'm demo-ing it on my old computer, where I don't have Vienna installed). Reaper is supposed to be very stable. I'm another midi only guy, with a very simple workflow. Probably any DAW with notation would work for me, once I learned it. When Reaper with notation is officially released, there's a good chance I'll buy it. If I don't like it, I still have 8.5. and could always upgrade to Producer (I don't need all the bells and whistles of Platinum). 

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 13:17:37 (permalink)
I suppose experiences may vary. I can only speak to what I have witnessed and experienced with Cakewalk.

From my view, Cakewalk has always been focused on their customers with staff that really have pride in their product. SONAR (in my experience) has steadily improved with a nice balance of new features and bug fixes. The company has been pretty transparent and fair, being more than willing to allow dissenting views and discussion with a genuine interest in learning how the customers feel and what they want; keeping in mind how to further improve upon SONAR.

Just sharing my experience. I hope your (the OP) experience improves.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
tenfoot
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 13:24:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Klaus 2016/04/18 14:21:36
Tripecac
So, to those of you on the fence who are concerned about MIDI-based reliability, it looks like Sonar will continue to collect bugs and glitches, rather than shed them. 

Can't agree with your premise here at all. Saying that there have not been as many improvements to the midi side of Sonar as there has to the audio is very different to claiming that the midi is no longer reliable. I edit extensively in midi 90% of the time and use Sonar to control the entirety of my touring show (audio as well as lighting fx etc) and can say with certainty in my experience Platinum is by far the most stable version of Sonar ever. Well....since Cakelive for DOS anyway. That was unstoppable:)

Tripecac
IMO the Cakewalk staff should keep the marketing off the forum and stop wasting our time, and theirs, with posts like the one you just witnessed from Andrew.

Well, IMO Cakewalk's presence on this user forum is one of the things that sets it apart from most other Software companies. Good luck finding the CTO, programmers or product specialists on other software user forums.

Bruce.

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 15:05:54 (permalink)
I would also like more improvements in MIDI workflow and some bug fixes, but on the whole I think there have been a great many significant improvements that I use on a daily basis. It's always a mistake to extrapolate general usage patterns from your own needs.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 16:19:08 (permalink)
Tripecac
I think Andrew's post is indicative of the problem with Cakewalk at the moment.  Ever since X1, the push is always sales, sales, sales, without ever actually addressing the bugs.

"Without ever actually addressing the bugs" has no basis in fact. Go back over the previous eZines and count the number of fixes. There have also been multiple optimizations, and all the bugs fixed between X3 and SONAR 2015.

So, to those of you on the fence who are concerned about MIDI-based reliability, it looks like Sonar will continue to collect bugs and glitches, rather than shed them.

Apparently some users are perfectly capable of creating complex, vibrant orchestral works in SONAR using MIDI and the Staff View. Click here, then scroll down to page 15. (Note that this was written by someone who left SONAR in search of a better program, but ended up returning after the other programs didn't pan out to his satisfaction.)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 18:17:42 (permalink)
I happen to be a mostly midi guy, as well, but am quite pleased with Sonar Platinum - have been a Cakewalk user since it was Twelve Tone Systems in the days of DOS.

I LIKE the new monthly maintenance approach, by the way, as it brings out both fixes and features far faster than it did prior to that.

I am able to be quite productive with Sonar meeting most of my midi needs/wants.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 19:13:08 (permalink)
Am I the only one that likes all the "stuff"?? The stuff that comes with Sonar is AWESOME. I love all the geegaws and doodads that ship with Sonar, because it gives me everything I need to create, mix and even master my music. It was the stuff that ships with Sonar that caught and held my eye. It was just about the only DAW at the time that had virtually everything you needed to go from conception to master right in the box. Still does if you don't mind a virtual box.

Yeah, I love the writing and playing part, but I also love it when something I created comes out sounding like a pro did it. Ha. Like that happens all the time! I'll tell you this, whatever issues I have creating pro-quality music have absolutely nothing to do with the software. 

I also own 8.53 (and earlier versions) but I'll switch to Reaper before I go back to 8.5.3. Oh, and did you see the previews that Andrew posted about the new skinnable UI that they're working on? 

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1