Helpful ReplySoooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5.3)?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 20:12:36 (permalink)
Isn't there a DEMO where one could judge for their self?

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 23:14:16 (permalink)
kitekrazy1

Uh oh, careful. Andrew got hammered for suggesting that. 

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 23:17:43 (permalink)
kevinwal
kitekrazy1

Uh oh, careful. Andrew got hammered for suggesting that. 

Obviously, kitekrazy1 is just stealth Cakewalk marketing slime polluting the forum. 

This just goes to show that it's usually better to start a new thread than necro an old one. When people see that the thread it ancient, they'll generally just jump to the newer part to check out the latest.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/18 23:21:19 (permalink)
I judged the paid version for myself, and find myself frustrated.  I know my experience doesn't represent the majority, since MIDI-only song construction seems to be a niche thing these days.  Still, I wanted to post my experience as a follow-up to the original post, in case someone searching for the same keywords (MIDI, piano roll, etc.) ends up here.

If someone else had posted something similar to this, and I had found it easily, then I would have held off on purchasing Sonar Platinum.  So, I am doing unto others [like me] as I would have them do unto me.

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

schwa
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 00:25:33 (permalink)
I've recently upgraded from SONAR 8.5 to Platinum.  One of the nice things was still getting upgrade pricing after skipping several updates.

I'm a hobbiest, and decided to take another whack at recording after some years away.  I upgraded my PC after 8 years, and updated my SONAR rig. 

Some observations:
Pro Channel is awesome, and with the expansions come close to a "do all" plug in. The Platinum plug in package is close to everything that might be needed to do quality recordings.  I am looking forward to the updated bus eq and multi band compressor.  My updated Waves plugs compliment the Cake plugs nicely. Current ROMplers (Dimension and Sampletank3) may be better than my (hardware) JV synth. Current plug in reverbs may be better than my (hardware) TC reverb. Melodyne is almost worth the price of the upgrade alone. Hardware integration has not suffered - my mackie control, Tranzport, xL one, MOTU interface, and XP-30 all still work with the new version.
I AM wrestling with skylight, but think I will get there. 

HP Envy 850, MOTU 424/2408, MIDI Express, NVidea GTX970, Project Studio 6 monitors, Mackie Control and Ext, Frontier Transport
Solid State Logic Alpha VHD, UA LA-610, DBX 566, TC M One-XL, POD XT, Roland XP-30
Shure KCM-44, SM-7, SM-81 (pair), SM-57
Martin D28 Marquis, Strats, LP's, Carr Mercury, and Marshall Amps
SONAR Platinum, Rapture Pro, Pro Channel Pack, Waves Gold, L3, L2, TH3 (Full), Amplitube 4
kevinwal
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 00:56:44 (permalink)
Tripecac
I judged the paid version for myself, and find myself frustrated.  I know my experience doesn't represent the majority, since MIDI-only song construction seems to be a niche thing these days.  Still, I wanted to post my experience as a follow-up to the original post, in case someone searching for the same keywords (MIDI, piano roll, etc.) ends up here.

If someone else had posted something similar to this, and I had found it easily, then I would have held off on purchasing Sonar Platinum.  So, I am doing unto others [like me] as I would have them do unto me.

I think your feedback on MIDI workflow is valuable. I personally don't understand what it is that makes it a poor experience for you given users like jsg who do such spectacular work with MIDI (check out his latest post in the Songs sub-forum) but I think it's important for you to articulate them more fully, perhaps in its own thread. Others haved post screen capture videos demonstrating the issues they have encountered, which certainly can help Cakewalk understand what they are. Perhaps you would consider doing the same thing?

Kevin Walsh

256GB SSD, 2TB HD
MOTU 8Pre Interface
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 01:23:03 (permalink)
Deleted by poster. Not relevant to thread.
post edited by michael diemer - 2016/04/19 13:15:10

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 01:33:31 (permalink)
Okay, specific problems which are plaguing me:

Here is the most annoying new bug caused by Sonar Platinum:
1) http://forum.cakewalk.com...-Premium-m3357021.aspx

Here are some of the annoying glitches/limitations introduced in Sonar X1/2/3 and still present:
2) http://forum.cakewalk.com/Note-Properties-How-to-view-them-in-the-Piano-Roll-View-m2687513.aspx
3) http://forum.cakewalk.com/Adjusting-Key-for-multiple-tracks-m2330322.aspx
4) shift-right click in track view doesn't always toggle between envelopes and clips  (sometimes it gets ignored)

Here are some limitations which have been around forever:
5) http://forum.cakewalk.com...to-Preset-m697992.aspx
6) http://forum.cakewalk.com/Can-you-insert-new-track-into-existing-track-folder-m2103971.aspx (posted by someone else, but I am annoyed by this problem too)

Each of the above glitches/limitations annoys me on regular basis.  There are other, "little" annoyances, and the abandonment of CAL and Studioware development, but those don't bother me as frequently.  The above 6 are the most annoying, because they waste my time each time I use Sonar.

tripecac.com
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

kevinwal
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 02:00:03 (permalink)
Thanks for posting these! 

Kevin Walsh

256GB SSD, 2TB HD
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Anderton
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 02:10:51 (permalink)
Tripecac
6) http://forum.cakewalk.com/Can-you-insert-new-track-into-existing-track-folder-m2103971.aspx (posted by someone else, but I am annoyed by this problem too)

I don't have the time to investigate all of these right now, but I know you can insert a track into a track folder without moving it from somewhere into the track folder, and if the folder is at the bottom of the track list, the inserted track will not "fall out of the bottom." That bug was fixed quite a while ago.

However you can't do this when the folder is collapsed to its minimized state, you have to "open up the folder" height at least a little bit so there is some of the area showing below the header. The following image shows the "hot spots" in red, where you can right-click and insert a track. If you drag the bottom of the folder down further, it extends the hot spot as far down as the folder track will go.

Basically, if the cursor is below the header and shows the usual arrow, you can right-click to insert a track. If it shows the double-headed arrow, that's above the hot spot, and is for moving tracks.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 03:44:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2016/04/19 04:03:43
Its sort of an odd duck the idea of this thread. We're talking about a DAW a creative tool. Its used for the creation of various media for various use. I am one that has often thanked a user for finding a bug and reporting it.  I do not recall anyone going out of their way scouring the forum for bug reports even ones that are no longer bugs simply to bolster their case against the DAW in question.

The energy used could have been focused on learning it and working with it instead of finding old bugs from times past that have no merit now. Even if they did one has to wonder why? To what end? Does the OP believe that CW will see the light and revert back to a version that hasn't been made for years? Is it to better the current version? Or is it the inability to adopt new, and for most, very productive ways to do things? Is this thread to inform the membership of long standing bugs or is it a way to avoid buckling down and put the work into finding the best way to proceed with using the DAW?

I ask these questions to help me understand why the thread was posted in the first place. The initial questions were answered back on the first page. What is going on here and why is it so long a thread?

Best
John
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 04:22:48 (permalink)
Tripecac
Okay, specific problems which are plaguing me:

Here is the most annoying new bug caused by Sonar Platinum:
1) http://forum.cakewalk.com...-Premium-m3357021.aspx

Here are some of the annoying glitches/limitations introduced in Sonar X1/2/3 and still present:
2) http://forum.cakewalk.com/Note-Properties-How-to-view-them-in-the-Piano-Roll-View-m2687513.aspx
3) http://forum.cakewalk.com/Adjusting-Key-for-multiple-tracks-m2330322.aspx
4) shift-right click in track view doesn't always toggle between envelopes and clips  (sometimes it gets ignored)

Here are some limitations which have been around forever:
5) http://forum.cakewalk.com...to-Preset-m697992.aspx

Each of the above glitches/limitations annoys me on regular basis.  There are other, "little" annoyances, and the abandonment of CAL and Studioware development, but those don't bother me as frequently.  The above 6 are the most annoying, because they waste my time each time I use Sonar.

Clicking through these complaints it seems that most are not bugs so much as the way Sonar now works not suiting your particular workflow habits, some of which are over ten years old. I had habitual working practice's in older versions of Sonar too; the smart tool right click that you mention is a good example. I would say that annoyed me for a day or two, then I had a new habit, which I now much prefer. 

I understand that some people are not fond of change and choose to continue using a version of sonar that they are famiiar with very productively. It just seems to me  a strange thing to upgrade to a new version of something and complain because things are different, then set out to discourage others from trying it.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Anderton
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 10:20:19 (permalink)
tenfoot
I understand that some people are not fond of change and choose to continue using a version of sonar that they are famiiar with very productively. It just seems to me  a strange thing to upgrade to a new version of something and complain because things are different, then set out to discourage others from trying it.

I'm surprised more people don't avail themselves of trying the demo versions of programs.

Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 12:07:27 (permalink)
I ask these questions to help me understand why the thread was posted in the first place. The initial questions were answered back on the first page. What is going on here and why is it so long a thread?

It is long because people keep posting to it.

I didn't intend for the topic to get this long and yacky.  I was just trying to post a quick follow-up to my own initial questions (quoted below) in case someone with the same mindset/concerns as me was looking for "tie-breaker" advice:
Does the new version of Sonar significantly improve the UI for those of us who are mostly dealing with soft synths?

My answer: No.
Does it increase the customizability?

Does it give us back some of the control that X1/2/3 took away from us?

Does it improve your overall workflow/efficiency?

Or does it just add more "stuff"?

My answer: Stuff.

I didn't expect, or want, other people to "clutter up" the topic with their arguments about how accurately my EXPERIENCE with Sonar aligns with their own. 

Of course, for people who love the new Sonar and want to see it continue along the lines it's going, it's naturally in their best interest for the company to earn as much money as possible.  And the way they can do that is by finding "naysayer" topics like this one and cluttering them up to the point where they're just noise.

And, indeed, this topic is just noise right now.  The Sonar fanboys ruined it.  They can pat themselves on the back.  Clap.  Clap.  Clap.

The Cakewalk forums weren't like this 10 years ago.  And Sonar wasn't like this 10 years ago.  And Cakewalk wasn't like this 10 years ago.  Times change, but my music making habits and preferences apparently don't.  I'm still annoyed by the same limitations, still hoping that Cakewalk will some day fix "my" issues, still wishing that Sonar would change for me rather than vice versa.

So, re-read the topic title:

Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5.3)?

Obviously, I was trying to limit the conversation in this topic to people who were still using X3 and missing 8.5.3.  Unfortunately, a lot of unlikeminded people decided to crash the party.  It was kind of rude of them, if you ask me.

But maybe they see the forums as "their party", and my topic was an unwelcome guest.

People get territorial, even over bits and bytes.

That is why this topic is so long.
post edited by Tripecac - 2016/04/19 13:37:31

tripecac.com

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 12:45:59 (permalink)
There's definitely a lot of unnecessary posturing on both sides here. I can understand where you feel not enough has improved for you to justify the upgrade. You're free not to. I also appreciate you pointing out and describing bugs or things you'd like to see differently. But you posed the question on an internet forum and you can't complain if not everyone comes to the same conclusion as you. Everybody's workflow is different. For ME, lots has improved.
John
Forum Host
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 12:48:32 (permalink)
First your post above is right on the edge of being in violation of the CoC. It implies I asked those questions when I didn't except for the very first one.

Sonar Platinum offers far more than 8.5 did in every area of the program. MIDI has been improved with many bugs fixed and the PRV is now far more usable then it was before with the ability to zoom in more then was possible before. Its also easier to use with the new tools within it. You can't have used Platinum and not noticed these very important improvements.

Even the long neglected Staff view has had some fixes and improvements.

Best
John
kevinwal
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 13:23:26 (permalink)
Tripecac
I didn't expect, or want, other people to "clutter up" the topic with their arguments about how accurately my EXPERIENCE with Sonar aligns with their own. 

Well, you should have called dibs on having the last word. 

Tripecac
Of course, for people who love the new Sonar and want to see it continue along the lines it's going, it's naturally in their best interest for the company to earn as much money as possible.  And the way they can do that is by finding "naysayer" topics like this one and cluttering them up to the point where they're just noise.

And, indeed, this topic is just noise right now.  The Sonar fanboys ruined it.  They can pat themselves on the back.  Clap.  Clap.  Clap.

So it's not that folks genuinely disagree with your premise, it's a conspiracy to help Cakewalk rake in the dough. Gotcha.

People are going to disagree with any premise you stake out on the internet, and they usually don't have secret agendas for doing so. They will mostly just disagree with you.

Tripecac
The Cakewalk forums weren't like this 10 years ago.  And Sonar wasn't like this 10 years ago.  And Cakewalk wasn't like this 10 years ago.  Times change, but my music making habits and preferences apparently don't.  I'm still annoyed by the same limitations, still hoping that Cakewalk will some day fix "my" issues, still wishing that Sonar would change for me rather than vice versa.

The entire planet and everything on it wasn't like this ten years ago. As you say, times do change. Bugs are bugs and agitating for getting them fixed is one sure way to help improve things and I applaud that effort. But don't expect a massive cry of hurrahs when you're trying to rally support for rolling the clock back ten years to a look and a way of working that pretty much the entire software industry has abandoned. 

Tripecac
So, re-read the topic title:

Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5.3)?

Obviously, I was trying to limit the conversation in this topic to people who were still using X3 and missing 8.5.3.  Unfortunately, a lot of unlikeminded people decided to crash the party.  It was kind of rude of them, if you ask me.

But maybe they see the forums as "their party", and my topic was an unwelcome guest.

People get territorial, even over bits and bytes.

That is why this topic is so long.

So you claim this thread as your territory and them complain when others get territorial? 

You were on much firmer ground when you spent time detailing the issues you experience in SPlat. It's not too late for you to reclaim that high ground, though. Why don't you spend some time sharing with us a forward-looking perspective on how the features you're having troubles with might be improved? I am assuming here that improving things is what you're really after, right?

Kevin Walsh

256GB SSD, 2TB HD
MOTU 8Pre Interface
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 13:30:21 (permalink)
Tripecac

The Sonar fanboys ruined it.  They can pat themselves on the back.  Clap.  Clap.  Clap.

So you want opinions as long as they match your own? A public internet forum may not be the place for you. People tend to clutter this place up with all kinds of pesky new ideas and perspectives.

Still, at least you didn't lower yourself to petulant attacks on the forum.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 14:00:08 (permalink)
John, sorry if the format of that post implied I was answering your questions; I was answering my own.  I have edited the post to make that clear.

LOOK GUYS... I wanted to restrict the discussion to those people who were also missing 8.5.3.  I wanted to find out if Sonar Platinum gave us "old schoolers" enough flexibility to get certain features to work more like Sonar 8.5.3 than X1/X2/X3.  I DID NOT want to hear from any of the people who prefer X1/2/3 to 8.5.3.  Yet, those people kept on (and keep on) butting in. 

I have heard it all before: newer is better, changes are "improvements", and it is we who need to change to suit Sonar, and not vice versa.  Okay, fine guys, that is your opinion.  But it's not mine.

I don't agree with the pro-Xers, and I don't want to hear from those people in this topic.  I want to hear from people like me, who are wishing Sonar would move in the direction of being more customisable, more scriptable, and more personalisable, which seemed like a direction Sonar could have been heading, BEFORE the X series came out, and, for me, X and Premium seem to be moving in the "wrong direction". 

If you don't share the "wrong direction" viewpoint, then clearly you are not someone who is "missing 8.5.3", and IMO shouldn't really be posting in this topic.  Isn't your time best spent elsewhere?

If someone had posted a topic saying "Sooo... any good candidates for those of us who still undecided [and missing Perot]", do you really think the opinions of fervent democrats or republicans would be welcome in that topic?  Of course not.

Can you guys please try to understand and respect my intentions here?  I was trying to talk to people LIKE ME, who preferred 8.5.3 to X, and were wondering if Platinum could be used to bring back some of the 8.5.3 "feel".  I thought this was pretty clear by the topic title, and the content of the original post.

Was I not clear?

tripecac.com

Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 14:06:57 (permalink)
This discussion is so long in the tooth that it ought to be getting dentures by now ;)

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 14:18:17 (permalink)
Yeah, I'm all for locking it or deleting it.  It certainly would not be useful to someone who finds it and hopes to see those initial questions answered.

MODERATORS: Can you please lock or delete this topic?  It is going nowhere, and is consuming Cakewalk resources.  I'd rather that money go to fixing bugs and adding customisability.  Thanks.

tripecac.com

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 15:50:38 (permalink)
Looking for people who are missing 8.5.3 but who will tell you what is better in Platinum. Gotcha. I'll butt out. Sorry for participating in an open internet forum discussion.
John6528
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 16:05:52 (permalink)
Also Still using 8.5.3 Work mostly staff view. Tried the demos new ones. One attempt at cut paste and I was done with them. Have they introduced a format painter yet? Is probably my biggest wish. 

Tried to post question about laptops but don't think it made it.
John 

Sonar 8.5 64, Win 7 64
Asrock X58 Extreme3, I7-950, 12G ram
OCZ Vertx3 120, Vertex2 90, WDM 1T
Focusrite Saffire
Yamaha P-70 Keyboard
M-Audio Midisport Uno
Miroslav Philharmonik , Nanosynth
John
Forum Host
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 16:10:40 (permalink)
Tripecac
Yeah, I'm all for locking it or deleting it.  It certainly would not be useful to someone who finds it and hopes to see those initial questions answered.

MODERATORS: Can you please lock or delete this topic?  It is going nowhere, and is consuming Cakewalk resources.  I'd rather that money go to fixing bugs and adding customisability.  Thanks.

I don't know what resources this thread is using up of CW's. Keep in mind that this is a peer to peer forum for helping each other with using Sonar. The reason so many have engaged you on this thread is their wish to help you get a better understanding of Sonar 2016. To persuade you that it is better than 8.5. That should be very clear to you by now. I don't believe you will find many that want to go back. 

If you were to have an open mind and give Sonar 2016 a fair test I strongly believe you will come to the same conclusion so many of your fellow users have come to. That 8.5 was good in its day but now Sonar 2016 is a far better DAW. I do know that it will take some effort on your part to accustom yourself to the way Sonar works but once you do you wont want to go back either. I think the others have much the same intent.  

Best
John
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 16:13:20 (permalink)
John6528
John 

There was laptop question posted 2x. One of them still exists http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3403150
Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 16:41:07 (permalink)
Tripecac
I don't agree with the pro-Xers, and I don't want to hear from those people in this topic.  I want to hear from people like me, who are wishing Sonar would move in the direction of being more customisable, more scriptable, and more personalisable, which seemed like a direction Sonar could have been heading, BEFORE the X series came out, and, for me, X and Premium seem to be moving in the "wrong direction". 

Was I not clear?

I feel like the issue here is a fundamental difference of opinion. You are stating as fact that SONAR is less customizable and less personalize able. I feel the exact opposite is true. SONAR is way more customizable. With the Skylight interface and Screensets etc... it is more customizable than ever. One could argue about colors, but new skins and schemes are on the way.

What you said is an opinion, not a fact. If we could get over that pee contest, then there would be a lot less heat in this discussion.

Just my opinion that I am sharing on a public forum in a SONAR category about SONAR.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 16:49:44 (permalink)
My comments for some parts in this thread:
* MIDI route in Sonar is not changed since the time I have installed 8.5 LE. It has generally problematic concept, which was mentioned in this forum more then 10 year ago. Please do not get me wrong, it was working in 8.5 (and probably before) and it is still working. It is just preventing future development in that area till it is replaced.
* I am not intensive CAL user, but what I have used is working in SPlat
* since VST MIDI is a pain in Sonar, I have developed Lua based DX scripting plug-in. Creative programmers with suggestions are welcome. Unlike CAL that can works in "real time", unfortunately unlike CAL the solution is limited to one track processing. But think it can work in any Sonar version, also in 8.5.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 17:47:25 (permalink)
John6528
Also Still using 8.5.3 Work mostly staff view. Tried the demos new ones. One attempt at cut paste and I was done with them. Have they introduced a format painter yet? Is probably my biggest wish. 

John 

John, I'm still demo-ing Sonar Pro. Your comment made me look into this, since I do most of my midi editing in staff view, and cutting and pasting is hugely important to me (also, moving groups of notes around). At first I panicked as I did not see a way to do this. I then realized that you have to look under the "Edit" at the very top of the screen, not the one actually on the staff view. So it works. Maybe a bit less direct, but it works. As long as I can maintain my work flow with only minor adjustments, I think the gain stability should be worth it.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Jimmy Landry [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 17:48:21 (permalink)
MusicforMovies
I've been using Cakewalk since the Twelve-Tone PC; Midi only days; not too happy with the subscription fee thing; will go the one time fee I suppose; would really like to see some better editing capability in the piano roll department along the lines of Cubase.  For some reason I don't mind paying a sub fee for Netflix, but I much prefer an upgrade every several years and one time fee versus the sub model for work software.   Not very happy, but I'll try the new version.

Hi there - I was reading this book-of-a-thread and noticed your post.  I just wanted to make sure that when you stated "subscription fee" above you knew it's just a purchase "option" and it's like a payment plan...  you can still upgrade or buy SONAR the exact same way as before in whole.  I think a lot of folks thought that it was subscription-based when we threw down the word "monthly." PM me if you have any questions on it.  All the best, ~Jimmy
John
Forum Host
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2016/04/19 18:38:42 (permalink)
As for MIDI please take a look at the video in the command center "MIDI enhancements". Not all of the fixes and improvements are listed there but it will show how CW is adding to MIDI in Sonar. 

Best
John
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1