Helpful ReplyStart Screen Enhancements This Month

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 01:19:03 (permalink)
Mixed emotions on this one "I'm with Paulo" on this one - Kind of like wanting or anticipating the Red Ryder BB Gun and ended up with a squirt gun...   We will see what next month holds -meantime will continue to make music 

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 02:30:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/09/03 18:56:08
chuckebaby
Personally, I like the start screen.
You only see the newest projects / or the projects you have "Pinned" to the start screen.
I hate Windows Metro apps start screen and everything it stands for... but the Sonar Start screen is nothing like it.
Its a way to open projects and a good way at that.

Its the same as looking at your file directory where your projects are,
only they are laid out in Nice colorful Icons instead.

Chuck, I agree totally. I'm still doing CD albums (for friends/relatives/anybody that will listen them) and personal enjoyment in the car.

The start screen brings up my "Pinned" songs so I can work on any of them for a particular phase of recording.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 10:26:47 (permalink)
davec69
I'm aware that every Sonar user has their own workflow.  I generally fire up Sonar when I get musically inspired, or when I'm ready to work on an current project.  When that occurs, I'd rather not be sidetracked by anything not related to the task at hand.  For me, music inspiration is fleeting.  If I fall down that rabbit hole of free offers, tutorials, videos and such, there goes my inspiration with it.

With that said, I can see the start screen as a great benefit to new users and beginners.  If Sonar users could have full control over start screen content and configuration (more than just turning it on or off).  It would probably be more useful.

An even better idea in my opinion would be to move the start screen features to an Android & IOS app.  This way, I could access all the content at my convenience, and get notifications.   Maybe even tie the app directly to main program somehow.  How cool would it be to Open a project in Sonar, from your Android or IOS device, or view project details?  

To clarify, I don't mean, actually opening the project on your device, I meant using your device, to open the project on your Sonar computer.

I don't know about it being a useful tool for a beginners. How many projects does a beginner have anyway?

We do have control over what is shown. I have a bunch of projects pinned to it. We can unpin them at any time. 
As to it being slow. I'm not sure about that. Clearly it takes a little time to display but no more time then having to go to the file menu and clicking on a recent project files display. 

As to being forced to look at CW advertising CW must have done a very poor job of that because I can ignore the Discover tab at will. Maybe on the system of person that mentioned this one is compelled to click on that tab.  

Best
John
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 14:07:15 (permalink)
My General MO is to update SONAR when the full release lands only after the early release has settled .
I'm still on the older Start Screen.  I happen to like the Start Screen feature in SONAR a lot .

At first I thought it was my imagination . Then I ran a little experiment over here .
I found out that The Start Screen in SONAR has a memory . Oh Yes it does ...

Since I'm an absolute beginner with only a modest 12 years of SONAR projects under my belt ...
I wanted to make perfectly sure that what I'm about to share is absolutely correct information ...

Most of the time I like to keep my current SONAR projects and songs local on my machine while I am working on them . It is not uncommon for me to even keep a few around for a few moths after the song has been finished .
At some point all my SONAR projects will end up on external Hard Drives for safe keeping and storage .
Also in many cases I have preferred to stream many of my larger songs and projects VIA external Hard Drives.

Here's one of the nice features I love about the Start Screen in SONAR ...

When I am using my computer and working on songs that are local to my computer the start screen will only show those ....even if my drop down file menu has ghost songs listed ...
When ever I use  my external hard drive where I have recently accessed and streamed some of  my SONAR projects from ...
The Start screen in SONAR will show my songs from that drive  how nice is that for a convenience ?
PS , after accessing and showing my external HD tunes I purposely disconnected the external drive and reopened SONAR .
Guess what ? The Start Screen only showed my local SONAR projects ... 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 14:48:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/09/03 18:55:38
RSMCGUITAR
You can no longer start a blank project without having to name it and creating a folder. Or am I wrong?

I'm sure you'll be glad to hear you're wrong . You can type ctrl+N at any time, whether the Start Screen is showing or not, and start a project without having to name it or create a folder. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 14:50:51 (permalink)
paulo
I guess we're all entitled to a few weeks off a year, so I'll be generous and consider this months update to be cakewalk's annual holiday.

Or be aware of how software works rather than be "generous," and realize that "light" updates usually mean something bigger is being worked on in the background. Not everything can go start to finish in 30 days...actually, not too many features can.

SONAR's developer are not a serial interface, there's lots going on in parallel. When something's ready for release, it gets released while the other paths continue in the background.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 14:54:25 (permalink)
Yes, I removed my CTRL+N autohotkey binding to handle the Start Screen. Nice to see this shortcut work the same whether running the Start Screen or not.
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 15:38:11 (permalink)
Start screen - Tab "Existing Projects":
It would like it if the start-screen ( - under existing projects - ) would as well show my 25 existing projects as icons, in the same way as the "recent" ones.
Instead of this it opens only the same dialog box as "File open".
Instead of a dialogbox the start screen should show the projects (as icons) in alphabetical order of the project folder, which is defined under "project file".

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/03 15:54:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/09/04 18:50:26
kennywtelejazz
... When I am using my computer and working on songs that are local to my computer the start screen will only show those ....even if my drop down file menu has ghost songs listed ...
When ever I use  my external hard drive where I have recently accessed and streamed some of  my SONAR projects from ...
The Start screen in SONAR will show my songs from that drive  how nice is that for a convenience ?
PS , after accessing and showing my external HD tunes I purposely disconnected the external drive and reopened SONAR .
Guess what ? The Start Screen only showed my local SONAR projects ... 

Yeah I'd noticed that too - much like you, I have some projects on an external drive and some local. The first few times it freaked me out - suddenly I had only a handful of recent projects showing, and none of the ones I'd actually worked on recently. Took me a minute to figure out that the ones missing were all on the external, disconnected drive. Now that I know, it's not a problem and I can see where it could be helpful if you used it on purpose!

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Anderton
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/04 17:01:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Thedoccal 2017/09/04 19:08:35
I just had a chance to check out the Discover feature. I think it's quite helpful, especially because it seems like newer items populate the top. Out of the 15 options, only two relate to new products. The other 13 relate to knowing more about SONAR, obtaining the 30th Anniversary freebies, linking to videos, etc. The should be a boon to those wanting to know more about a particular update or feature.

When the Start Screen first appeared, I made it clear on the forum that I was not a fan. After the updates sped it up, I started using it all the time. The latest incarnation is an improvement. What I'd like to see next is the option for a list view of template projects, and the ability to remove projects from the recent projects list.

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/04 17:52:14 (permalink)
It's just a start screen. Who cares what it does or doesn't do. No idea why it has received so much TLC this year. If they want to work on menus there's lots of poorly designed ones to look into. For example, meters. You may want to change several meter options but the menu closes after each click and forces you to go through the process again and again until your finished. Now that is a menu that needs TLC. it's been a feature request for years! Sonar isn't a lifestyle product. I don't need to know what's happening in the community or what other initiatives Gibson Products is involved in. In other words, lay off the icing until the cake is fully baked.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/04 18:43:28 (permalink)
I don't think it's icing. I'm in and out of different projects all day, and I've found the Start Screen really efficient for me (after a wobbly initial implementation a year or so ago). I think it's just that any given feature is going to be of varying importance to different users.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/04 23:19:23 (permalink)

paulo
I guess we're all entitled to a few weeks off a year, so I'll be generous and consider this months update to be cakewalk's annual holiday.

Anderton
Or be aware of how software works rather than be "generous," and realize that "light" updates usually mean something bigger is being worked on in the background.

Ok then, you are right, as always. I should have known better than to express my opinion without first consulting you as to what that opinion should be. Please accept my humble apologies for speaking out of turn on your forum.

Oh wait......

What is that you just said about the latest update Mr Keith Albright - Director of Development at Cakewalk?

Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
One factor in the update this month...
Several of us had vacations at different times during the month.

Anderton
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/05 01:03:45 (permalink)
paulo

paulo

Anderton
Or be aware of how software works rather than be "generous," and realize that "light" updates usually mean something bigger is being worked on in the background.

Ok then, you are right, as always. I should have known better than to express my opinion without first consulting you as to what that opinion should be. Please accept my humble apologies for speaking out of turn on your forum.

Oh wait......

What is that you just said about the latest update Mr Keith Albright - Director of Development at Cakewalk?

You left out the part - I assume on purpose, because it was in the same post, so you must have seen it - "That said, we busted before we knew we'd be out for a couple of weeks. Some of us even checked up on things/did some testing while on vacation. Also, yes, we work on short, med, long range things so not all coding has to fit in < 30 days." 

You'll find out soon enough what the people who weren't on vacation were doing. Cakewalk activities don't come to a halt because a couple people go on vacation...as I've mentioned before, there are parallel paths, as confirmed by Keith.

Of course you're allowed to express an opinion, with whatever inflection you choose. But, I'm allowed to say it's based on inadequate data...so let's circle back some time in October. You might find that the glass is half full instead of half empty 

paulo
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/05 18:40:00 (permalink)
Anderton
paulo

paulo

Anderton

Oh wait......

You left out the part - I assume on purpose, because it was in the same post, so you must have seen it - "That said, we busted before we knew we'd be out for a couple of weeks. Some of us even checked up on things/did some testing while on vacation. Also, yes, we work on short, med, long range things so not all coding has to fit in < 30 days." 

You'll find out soon enough what the people who weren't on vacation were doing. Cakewalk activities don't come to a halt because a couple people go on vacation...as I've mentioned before, there are parallel paths, as confirmed by Keith.

Of course you're allowed to express an opinion, with whatever inflection you choose. But, I'm allowed to say it's based on inadequate data...so let's circle back some time in October. You might find that the glass is half full instead of half empty 

Yeah I left that out on purpose and I also didn't link to the post in question as I know from experience that you always have to have the last word with anyone who expresses an opinion that doesn't concur with yours, so I figured that I'd at least make you work for it. 

There is nothing " glass half empty" about my original post. It wasn't even a complaint. Neither am stupid enough to not realise that sometimes things are being worked on, but are longer term projects or simply just not ready yet. I expressed a view that the sparse nature of the latest update was maybe/probably due to staff holidays, which was confirmed as being an issue by the Director of Development himself, so clearly it was a factor or he wouldn't have said that. Yet somehow according to you that opinion is still inaccurate?

Hey, here's a thought........... Maybe , just maybe, it's possible that occasionally someone who is not you actually gets something right.

RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/05 18:54:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/09/05 19:11:05
Paulo, you are not stating an opinion when you say "I guess we're all entitled to a few weeks off a year, so I'll be generous and consider this months update to be cakewalk's annual holiday."

You aren't their boss. You don't get to decide what they're entitled to. That's not an opinion.
paulo
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/05 19:25:33 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR
Paulo, you are not stating an opinion when you say "I guess we're all entitled to a few weeks off a year, so I'll be generous and consider this months update to be cakewalk's annual holiday."

You aren't their boss. You don't get to decide what they're entitled to. That's not an opinion.

Why thank you kindly sir for pointing out the error of my ways Mr Self-appointed boss of the correct way to express opinions.
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/05 19:31:30 (permalink)
paulo
RSMCGUITAR

Why thank you kindly sir for pointing out the error of my ways Mr Self-appointed boss of the correct way to express opinions.

It had to be done 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

slyman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Start Screen Enhancements This Month 2017/09/05 21:13:14 (permalink)
Personally, I subscribed to the lifetime updates mainly because of the improvements the Bakers were bringing to the table on a monthly basis. Of course, I don't always use all the new features regularly, but some have drastically improved my workflow. 
That said, this month's update is not for me.  I prefer the addition of tools that actually help me arrange and sculpt my songs.
But, I assume they had a demand for this and as long as the majority of users find this useful, that's fine.

I'll just wait and see what comes out of the oven next month. 

Sonar Platinum, Gigabyte H87-HD3, Intel 4770k, 16Mb Ram, Win 10 Pro, RME Babyface Pro, Roland A-Pro 800, Presonus Studio Channel, Kemper Profiling Amp, Strat/Tele/LesPaul/Taylor 214ce/Dean Cadillac/P-Bass
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1