Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
2011/05/15 04:22:03 (permalink)

Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do?

Hi!

So you've got your stereo mix just right and it sounds glorious through your monitors, your living room hifi system and car stereo. Thenyou check the mix on a little mono radio and the vocals get way too loud, stereo guitars and synths nearly disappear and the low end threatens to destroy the little speaker.

But when you take measures to make the mix sound passable on the little radio, it starts to sound washed out and anemic upon stereo playback!

Mono systems are pretty popular these days, like Tivoli Audio "audiophile" shelf radios, iPod docking stations and so on, so I'd like my mixes to work in mono, but I really don't want to compromise the stereo mix!

What do you do in these situations? I use the 0 dB center center panning law, as I find it works best for stereo. Should I chose one with mid attenuation in order to get my mixes to translate better?

Sven

32 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 06:51:52 (permalink)
    Personally, I'm not bothered about mono compatibility on my stuff, because the chances of anyone hearing any of it apart from me are extremely slim.

But if it does bother you, you should try building your mix at the very outset  IN MONO.

When everything is finished, then start panning stuff out L/R

Insert Channel Tools on your master bus and set it to Mono, then remove it when you're ready to pan.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 07:32:16 (permalink)
    I'm a big time mono fan... and I don't mix for wide stereo effects.

The other day I was listening to a CD a young friends band just produced.  The songs were great modern rootsy Americana folk rock... the band is sort of inspired by Wilco.

I liked the CD a bunch.

I took it on a road trip and played it for some friends.... the guy driving the car said he thought it sounded rough and crude.

I was surprised to learn of that opinion.

When it was my turn to drive the next day I popped the CD in again. After a few songs in I realized that the hard panned guitar lines sounded awful from the drivers seat while they had sounded OK over in the passenger seat.

As I listened I thought about all the times I have suggested that I am a big fan of mono or simple stereo mixes. (I like using left-right from a XY or ORTF setup to provide ambience) and how many times I have felt like an old fuddy duddy for being so conservative.

But the truth of this circumstnce was that the young band's mix just couldn't hold up on anything but a nice living room stereo or headphones...

:-(

Sven, I don't have any advice for you other than to suggest that I always attempt to avoid the disappointing scenario you are in by never tempting myself with a *wide-stereo* or binaural type mix... and so I find a sweet spot that is fairly centered and become accustomed to that as I bring a mix together without ever having to go backwards as you seem to have or want to do at this juncture.

Good Luck.... you'll figure something out.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/05/15 07:38:41

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 07:36:19 (permalink)
    tried to edit my post but mistakenly quoted it...

double post

sorry
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/05/15 07:37:51

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 08:43:54 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

But if it does bother you, you should try building your mix at the very outset  IN MONO.

When everything is finished, then start panning stuff out L/R

That's pretty much what I do (and have just been doing this morning) I get all the tracks in place, set volume levels and adjust eq while everything is centred, then start panning when it sounds good.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 09:17:10 (permalink)
    I use a single mono speaker for checking mono compatibility. It is superior to switching your monitors into mono.  Mono means a single point source so you should also monitor it that way. It is actually a bit harder to monitor a mono mix on two speakers. (even though they are in mono) You are still hearing the sound from two sources and the sound will not arrive at your ears at exactly the same time (due to room reflections etc) so you are hearing a form of stereo. Also the image in the middle (of two speakers) is only a ghost but with a mono speaker it is very real. You need to sit directly in front of it too and up close. And please at low volume as well.

I sum the stereo output and feed a mono power amplifier and into a small speaker mounted in a small enclosure (Similar to Auratone concept)

I agree with Mike in that you don't have to create over wide mixes.  Its either a stereo sound that is going to be very wide (eg a wide synth pad for example) or a series of mono sounds that are panned wide. These are easier to get to sound OK in the mono speaker as well as your stereo monitors. Really wide pads etc can also work in mono but you have to make sure it's not phase tricks that are being used to create the width. And if it is, you need to alter the phase angle of one side so the mono sound won't collapse but the stereo will still sound good. If the width is being created in a genuine way then it will still sound great in mono and stereo.

I still believe that you can reach middle ground where a mix can sound very good on the mono speaker and still sound great in stereo on your main stereo monitors. You need to go back and forth to check how they are sounding on both. You have to make it easy to do so as well. For me I have got those two things on two separate monitor controls and it is just a matter of turning one down and the other up. But I must say I spend most of the time on the mono speaker.

Bristol has a good point though. I leave the panning to last. Just get the balance right first on the mono speaker. Once that is set you can pan then and you don't have to pan that far either before you will hear that something has moved quite a bit. People think you have to pan hard right or left before it is effective but I believe that to be wrong.

I am using Studio One a lot these days and one thing I have noticed is that as soon as you move a sound (even a small amount) away from centre it seems to sound like it has moved quite a lot. The 0db panning law seems silly to me. It will make centre panned sounds too loud. Try a different panning law and see how that works out. Studio One uses the -3db panning law. The -3db panning law is supposed to be the most natural.

If your mixes are are wildly different in mono or stereo then it means you are not mixing as well as you could be.  A great mix seems to satisfy both well. Check your mixes in mono on a single speaker and down low and you will be putting your mix through a very very hard test. The small adjustments you need to make to satisfy the mono speaker will not be so obvious on your main monitors up louder. But now you have satisfied both. I don't know how people survive without a small mono speaker. I absolutley could not. It is like mixing in the dark as far as I am concerned.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/05/15 09:47:43

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 13:40:17 (permalink)
    Panning laws only matter when you're actually adjusting the pan control, so I wouldn't worry about that (unless you're automating pans).

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 15:17:18 (permalink)
    A mono button on your monitor controller will serve perfectly fine and is used by lots of very good mixers, and it's very convenient since you can flip back and forth quickly for A/B comparisons. You can reach over and press it any time you want to check whether something you are doing is causing problems.

And of course you can also just get up and walk into the next room and listen to it that way which is effectively mono, and more representative of any mono listening that real users will do, with a small system off to the side of the room or in another room and whatnot.

The mono issue is really just phase cancellation between the two sides. If you have different parts on either side it's a lot less likely. But the doubled left/right panning thing is so common that a lot of people have to worry about it.

Really, the things that will make your mix sound very wide can also be the same things that prevent mono problems, which is to avoid common content on both sides. So use different parts on each side or make sure that doubled parts have considerably different tone. So it's a win-win situation really. Also use the nudge trick if using doubled parts to get the two parts 15 or more ms apart in time, which will make them aparently wider and less likely to have mono concellation problems.

And also consider having less low end and leaving that for the center. Higher frequency content is more directional and will seem wider. That won't help mono compatibility necessarily, but in addition to the stuff above can make for a nice, wide sounding mix that is also nicely mono compatible.
    Phase related tricks intended to create a super-wide sound probably almost by definition will be problematic in mono, right? In order to do what they do they pretty much have to have a significant amount of center cancellation.
    post edited by droddey - 2011/05/15 15:20:53

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 17:26:56 (permalink)
    FWIW - I've got at least five various iPOD docks and none of them are mono - they're all stereo...  Actually, I can't think of anything that's only mono right now - let alone popular.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 17:42:09 (permalink)
    Sven  mentions the mono systems he wants his mix to sound good on and they feature only one speaker so it is still best to check your mixes through one speaker, nothing compares to it. More great mix engineers use it.

The only reason why people may disagree with the mono speaker concept is because they don't have it and if they did they would never go back. I have got a mono switch too on my Yamaha digital mixer and it is nothing like checking the mix through the mono speaker.

Pan laws are vital. Because the moment you decide to pan a sound, the pan law will determine wether you have to change its level or not as well as its pan position. With the -3db pan law you don't have to be concerned about level so much because it offers a more even volume no matter where you are in the stereo field.

Walking around the room is an excellent way to check your mix too. That is not so much about mono compatibility but wether your mix is good or not and that is a great start. But sitting up close to the mono speaker at low volume simulates walking around the room at a distance very well too. And it provides much more detail at the same time.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    droddey
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 18:27:04 (permalink)
    I know it seems I keep contradicting you but...

Actually pan laws aren't really THAT important, and mostly only matter if you do any pan automation, as was mentioned above. Once you pan something where you want it in the mix, you are going to adjust its level till it's where you want it, no matter what the pan law is. As long as that track's pan position isn't moving around, and for most tracks in most mixes it won't be, then the pan law doesn't come much into play.

Not that people shouldn't use pan laws that do adjust as much as possible for position, but it never seems to completely do so. So you still end probably doing some adjustment if you significantly change the pan position of a track. So the pan laws are helpful, but they aren't exactly vital. You could easily do a mix with a flat pan law without any problems if you wanted to.

If you are ZeroSeven or a band like that and constantly have tracks panning across the landscape it would obviously be much more convenient certainly to use an appropriate pan law in order to avoid constantly automating compensating volume changes. But most mixes have fairly static track positioning and wouldn't probably be much affected by the pan law.

Anyhoo, it kind of makes sense not to just mix everything with all the tracks centered, but to put them where you want pan-wise, and mix away. Periodically use either a mono summer on your monitor controller or a mono speaker or whatever, to check the mono compatibility and deal with issues when you find them.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 19:14:54 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Insert Channel Tools on your master bus and set it to Mono, then remove it when you're ready to pan.
    Why do you need Channel Tools to switch to mono?

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 19:55:48 (permalink)
    Hi Kev999. Because if you have no way to switch your monitoring into mono outside Sonar then this is a great way to do it. It is the only way really. As Bristol suggests put channel tools on your master buss and put it into mono. You only have to bypass it too to put things back to stereo.

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 21:43:29 (permalink)
    With Channel Tools you also have the option of panning both channels to one speaker (either left or right) for "true mono", or panning both channels to center for "phantom center" mono. As Jeff mentioned above, they are not the same thing as you will get some phase cancellation with "phantom center".

I also wonder about the configuration of your monitors. If they are too far apart relative to your listening position when mixing you might end up boosting the stuff in the center.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    Kev999
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 22:00:45 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Hi Kev999. Because if you have no way to switch your monitoring into mono outside Sonar then this is a great way to do it. It is the only way really. As Bristol suggests put channel tools on your master buss and put it into mono. You only have to bypass it too to put things back to stereo.
    What's wrong with clicking the interleave button in the Master bus to switch to mono?  I don't have Channel Tools.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/15 23:26:58 (permalink)
    I had mono once? I was in bed for a week...

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Kev999
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/16 01:34:22 (permalink)
    drewfx1

With Channel Tools you also have the option of panning both channels to one speaker (either left or right) for "true mono", or panning both channels to center for "phantom center" mono.
    Just switch Interleave to mono and pan either left, right or centre as required.  Channel Tools should not be needed for this (unless I'm missing something).

SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/16 04:51:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input folks! What a load of wisdom you've contributed!

I'm definitely gonna try mixing in mono until the last phase (no pun int'd) next time I do a real project. It makes sense to try and separate tracks freq-wise before you spread them around the stereo field.

Regarding panning laws:
    Am I not right in assuming that a -3 dB center level would make the mix seem wider while working? Seems to me that it would invite being more conservative regarding panning and stereo FX, which in turn would make for better mono compatibility? 

DrewFX1> I assume it's my monitor configuration you're refering to. I have them set up in a perfect equilateral triangle with regards to my listening position, so that shouldn't be a problem. After mounting some 2" thick 3'x3' absorber panels on the wall behind them I've been happy with the stereo image i perceive (the low-end behaviour of the room is another story, though).

Kev999> The interleave button on the master bus is what I'm using to check in mono (in addition to checking on my litte mono radio connected to the headphone out jack at "mastering").

Sven

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/16 07:26:42 (permalink)
    I just wanted to add that when I mentioned "wide mixes"... I wasn't just speaking about the technicalities of phase collapse and it's bad effects... I was also speaking of the general feeling of disappointment one may experience when the musicality of the mix changes so radically.

The point is, a hard L C R mix may not phase collapse at all. It may be technically just fine. But, as a listener familiar with the wide stereo mix one may be very disappointed in the sound once it is all blended together in a mono output.

The situation I described where we weren't listening in a stereo sweet spot is also exasperated by wide mixes... once I heard that mix I spoke of in the drivers seat of the van (essentially listening to the left speaker) I thought the mix sounded sort of bad... well not even sort of... it sounded bad. So, a great collection of songs ended up sounding distractingly bad to half the people in the car. That can easily be avoided if the mix is built to sound good way outside the stereo sweet spot.

all the best,
    mike

barusa
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/17 12:04:50 (permalink)
    craigb

FWIW - I've got at least five various iPOD docks and none of them are mono - they're all stereo...  Actually, I can't think of anything that's only mono right now - let alone popular.

Smart phones are currently one of the most popular methods of playing and sharing music.  There are many stats collected on mobile use, here is just one source http://mobithinking.com/stats-corner/global-mobile-statistics-2011-all-quality-mobile-marketing-research-mobile-web-stats-su.  Please do a search on the page and read how much music was downloaded and listened to.

Most current smart phones are mono and the few that attempt stereo still produce sound from a small plastic box providing a mono result.  Most modern smart phones have stereo headphones.  But, smart phone users don't always carry headphones and you can't share the listening experience with those around you while wearing headphones. 

My main concern is the sharing aspect.  I personally have been in countless situations, such as as concerts, around school aged kids, at music stores, etc. where the sharing of music has been a person playing a tune from his/her smart phone.  For example, I was at a concert where I overheard how much a listener liked the band and so another person said, "Hey, if you like this, you will love this!", as he played something from a smart phone.

I believe the average user is well aware that a smart phone and a nice stereo don't provide the same quality.  None-the-less, I don't think a good sounding mono mix can be ignored.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/17 13:16:15 (permalink)
    Yea, Mike, one is more likely to run into your van problems than mono.  LCR will screw up your mix if you are hearing 90 of one speaker.  One would like to have a perfect listening (or good, anyway) environment, but to many uncontrollable variables.  I've been doing more LCR'ish mixes.  I don't double the same signal much, if any, so bad mono collapes aren't much of a problem, but losing an evening out guitar etc. is.

I'll have to think about that some, now.  Thanks for bringing that up.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/17 13:29:57 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

I use a single mono speaker for checking mono compatibility. It is superior to switching your monitors into mono.  Mono means a single point source so you should also monitor it that way. It is actually a bit harder to monitor a mono mix on two speakers. (even though they are in mono) You are still hearing the sound from two sources and the sound will not arrive at your ears at exactly the same time (due to room reflections etc) so you are hearing a form of stereo. Also the image in the middle (of two speakers) is only a ghost but with a mono speaker it is very real. You need to sit directly in front of it too and up close. And please at low volume as well.

Jeff, what's your thought on monitoring a mono mix on headphones?  Would doing that reduce or eliminate the problem you're talking about?

Jeff Evans
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/17 17:46:17 (permalink)
    Hi dmbaer. I am not a great fan of doing any form of mixing on headphones anyway so I would still not prefer to check a mono mix that way either. It seems too close for my mind. But I am sure headphones are making inroads into mixing duties more.

Last night I was finishing a jingle at 4am to meet a dealine (allnighter!) I was on headphones. Got a fairly decent mix but had to readjust in the morning when I could. Things did need to be changed. On that, this ad has a lot going on. Percussion rhythms, drums, metal bangs, steam effects and an orchestral score. The little speaker is a saviour for getting all those things happening in the mix so often. It was not till I checked on that I heard the metal banging was too loud and other things lost. A few adjustments there put it all right in the small speaker. Then up loud on the Mackies it sounded huge!

It is almost as if you really have to do two different mixes. One for total mono and the other for stereo. It is still a compromise to a certain extent to expect something to work on both. (eg surround mixes in stereo) But if you start with everything panned centre and then do a great mono mix (on a single speaker and even using one of your normal monitors may apply) then you are on the way to a good stereo mix.

When you are listening to a mix in mono it can be like all the parts are lined up behind each other. So if two different guitar parts are very similar in sound then it will be hard to distinguish them apart. So some tone and amp sim manipulation/plugin  or reamp etc  will separate them more in mono. Then as soon as you start moving things slightly panning wise a very powerful stereo mix will form quickly. And things will be all right on the mono speaker.

Try start with everything panned in the centre on your main stereo monitors and start moving things slowly and not so far. Bam, stereo image forms very quick. I don't pan every stereo track hard left right either. You can bring some of those stereo fields in and it is possible to move those narrower stereo fields around too in the overall stereo image. eg move them left or right. eg a stereo image from a stereo track or sound sit between left and centre.

Also when I talk about very low level listening in front of a single point source speaker, the rules still apply here for checking up loud for reverbs and bass etc...Our ears response does change of course due to volume levels but the mix basically won't though. I think of that as the critical mix.

droddey
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/17 18:38:11 (permalink)
    Then again, one big advantage of the fact that we all have approximately zero chance of ever actually becoming successful musicians, and if we do we wouldn't make any money anyway so it's not worth it, is that we can make music for people who love music and consider listening to music an activity unto itself, and ignore people who treat it like a commodity and listen on a crap mono phone.

Not that that gets you out of all of this, since the same things that avoid this problem most likely contribute to a better result anyway. But I certainly wouldn't bother going out of my way to compromise my music on a nice reproduction system that belongs to a most likely paying customer, in order to make it sound better for someone who probably stole it if they listen to it at all.

Just a thought...

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/17 23:17:14 (permalink)
    But if it does bother you, you should try building your mix at the very outset IN MONO. When everything is finished, then start panning stuff out L/R

That's what I do.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

droddey
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/18 03:35:01 (permalink)
    But one concern with that is it assumes you aren't going to change things after that original mix in mono. For really experienced people maybe that's true, but probably not so much for the rest of us. Using a mono button or mono speaker means you can continuously check the mono results at any time to see how it's doing, so you don't have to leave everything in the middle and deal with later panning changing things. Just pan stuff where you want and start mixing and check your mono compatibility periodically to make sure things are still well and do something about if if not.

Not that you can't start off with everything in the middle if you want, but it's pretty nice not to have to commit to that and never change anything once you start panning stuff, without worrying that you are undoing what you did.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/18 07:45:27 (permalink)
    To be honest I am not so concerned about mono comptability. I use the small speaker and in mono much more so for checking mix balances down at low volume.

I do take mono into account sometimes though. Like now I am producing a music track for a TV commercial. I tend to keep things quite centered and that is one situation where I do like mono compatibilty to be good. (some people are going to have great stereo TV's but others not, a single small speaker) Also for doco soundtracks. But if the music is going to heard in a stereo situation then I tend to go for that a little more.

If you use the - 3db pan law the good news is that you can pan things quite a lot and the volume of the sound in the single mono speaker does not change if at all. So the balance of the instruments does not change that much in the little speaker and on the larger monitors. You can then apply Dean's process much more of panning almost anywhere and checking the mono speaker for balance and mono compatibility.

I still prefer to start in the centre though and pan out as required.

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/18 08:02:17 (permalink)
    It's not safe to assume that your mix isn't going to be played in mono.  Walked into a venue where I discovered one of my mixes being played on the house PA system during set up.  I immediately heard that I had problems with mono compatibility.  Luckily, the mix was not for a CD for sale or I likely wouldn't have sold many to those who heard it prior to the show.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/18 10:32:08 (permalink)
    Everyone is a mono listener to some extent.  Jeff mentioned listening to your mix by walking around the room, but when you walk into the adjoining room, you are hearing it in mono. 

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Stereo>mono messes your mix up, what do you do? 2011/05/18 11:17:34 (permalink)
    Yes Mod Bod I have been caught out there too. Many PA live sound guys wont even run a CD player through 2 channels. (slack) They will sum the outputs of the CD player and use one channel only to save channels and that is where poor mono compatibility will show up.

Just remember that walking around your main room or even the adjoining room will give you a mono effect but it still won't show up any mono compatability issues because the channels have still not been summed. (unless you flick the mono switch and then walk around)

But walking around rooms is a great mix check though. The small mono speaker from a distance is a pretty severe test too.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1