Helpful ReplyStop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/03 18:02:05 (permalink)
patm300e
In your case you could even DL something like a free Linux distribution like Ubuntu.
Installed on a new hard drive, this would test out the system and see if it still blue screens for free.  You would not be able to install Sonar on it, but at least you would see if you have a stable system for free.

Good to know, I got 7-10 more dry days hard labor (splitting and hauling 6 cords of wood) on the property and then I will have a lot of time to carry forth with this issue. So much kind help!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/03 18:37:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2017/10/04 18:07:31
If you want to learn new things, the boot utility CD's I linked to previously and/or a Linux disk as Pat suggested could be a great way to test, and also very useful if you want to get back into building your own system.  Good for the toolbox!

But to keep it simple for now and work with an OS you are familiar with, you would probably be up and running faster using either Win 7 or Win 10.  That would test also test your hardware with Windows drivers, which would be a more similar setup to you current configuration.  You could even test with your audio hardware if desired.

And don't be shy about trying the Win 10 download...it's only temporary for testing...and you can use it without activating it, or upgrading your Win 7 license. 

Info here >> https://www.windowscentra...ed-activate-windows-10

And here >> https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/04 18:07:55 (permalink)
abacab
If you want to learn new things, the boot utility CD's I linked to previously and/or a Linux disk as Pat suggested could be a great way to test, and also very useful if you want to get back into building your own system.  Good for the toolbox!

But to keep it simple for now and work with an OS you are familiar with, you would probably be up and running faster using either Win 7 or Win 10.  That would test also test your hardware with Windows drivers, which would be a more similar setup to you current configuration.  You could even test with your audio hardware if desired.

And don't be shy about trying the Win 10 download...it's only temporary for testing...and you can use it without activating it, or upgrading your Win 7 license. 

Info here >> https://www.windowscentra...ed-activate-windows-10

And here >> https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

MUCH Appreciated!

Best, Robby K 

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/05 08:03:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2017/10/06 18:34:39
I was curious if it was the CMOS battery. Then after replacing that I would reset the BIOS or check that the bios is set to the correct boot device (Drive) so that the OS is found.

You can in fact upgrade to Windows 10 for free (from 7 or 8.1) if you think you might try using assistive technologies one day. I did. (I tried a few assistive technologies for a webpage I made.) 

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/06 18:34:34 (permalink)
GjB
I was curious if it was the CMOS battery. Then after replacing that I would reset the BIOS or check that the bios is set to the correct boot device (Drive) so that the OS is found.

You can in fact upgrade to Windows 10 for free (from 7 or 8.1) if you think you might try using assistive technologies one day. I did. (I tried a few assistive technologies for a webpage I made.) 

Thanks for the info, I may indeed try that as I work my way through the strategies listed above. I have a rain dfaste tomorrow with the whole day to work on this. First off, I open it up and check it out. If that fails, try, try again, win 10 update may be a good way to go at some point!

Thanks!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/09 23:16:21 (permalink)
I'm having a bit of a break (broke my toe) before getting back to work on Wednesday, so I am able to continue trouble shooting, etc.

I have just a quick question, all of my pcs have been HPs. If that is the route I decide to go (I am also putting a system together at pcpartpicker), what are other OK pcs to look for besides HP? Dell?

Thanks! 

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
abacab
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/09 23:42:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2017/10/10 00:13:46
For a DAW you are better off with a custom build, or a home build.  You can avoid the cheap components that all OEM's use today.  Their profit margin is slim these days with the shrinking sales of computers, so they have to make it up somewhere.  Plus the shovelware they all load on takes a while to remove.  I'd say there is little to distinguish between retail brand names anymore. 

If I was going the retail route I would probably take my chances with an enterprise class PC from Dell such as Dell Precision Workstation.  http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktop-and-all-in-one-pcs/sc/desktops-n-workstations

But at those prices, you might want to consider a custom Studio Cat DAW from Jim Roseberry, a fellow Cake forum member.  His clients are happy, and he provides excellent support.  http://www.studiocat.com/opencart2/

robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/10 00:17:06 (permalink)
abacab
For a DAW you are better off with a custom build, or a home build.  You can avoid the cheap components that all OEM's use today.  Their profit margin is slim these days with the shrinking sales of computers, so they have to make it up somewhere.  Plus the shovelware they all load on takes a while to remove.  I'd say there is little to distinguish between retail brand names anymore. 

If I was going the retail route I would probably take my chances with an enterprise class PC from Dell such as Dell Precision Workstation.  http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktop-and-all-in-one-pcs/sc/desktops-n-workstations

But at those prices, you might want to consider a custom Studio Cat DAW from Jim Roseberry, a fellow Cake forum member.  His clients are happy, and he provides excellent support.  http://www.studiocat.com/opencart2/

All right, this gives me something to compare with my 1st round custom build (still working on it, fun site!), much thanks!

I would love to go with a Jim Rosenberry as I have long read his posts, but I'm just getting into this now, trying to see what I can do as quickly as I can, I really miss recording!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
abacab
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/10 00:22:51 (permalink)
robbyk

I would love to go with a Jim Rosenberry as I have long read his posts, but I'm just getting into this now, trying to see what I can do as quickly as I can, I really miss recording!

But really, your best bet now is to just get your old rig working again.  We're all here to help!

Besides it's fun, and cheaper! 

robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/10 00:30:16 (permalink)
abacab
robbyk

But really, your best bet now is to just get your old rig working again.  We're all here to help!

Fun and cheaper and faster, plus I miss my good buddy...

I opened it up and all looks very good, very clean, hardly any dust, connections all solid. I then ran chkdsk and it didn't really do anything but I spawned a new error on attempted startup, 0X0000009F which google search says is due to a corrupted or outdated driver.

Next I will try the resplendence.com/whocrashed to see if I can figure out which driver.

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
abacab
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/10 00:52:43 (permalink)
robbyk

I opened it up and all looks very good, very clean, hardly any dust, connections all solid. I then ran chkdsk and it didn't really do anything but I spawned a new error on attempted startup, 0X0000009F which google search says is due to a corrupted or outdated driver.

Next I will try the resplendence.com/whocrashed to see if I can figure out which driver.

Just based on experience, you would probably save some time if you booted your system hardware from a boot media separate from your hard drive and your installed OS.  This step will help rule out the hardware, as in your motherboard, power supply, CPU, RAM, hard drives, etc.  It also temporarily eliminates your installed OS + drivers.

Blue screens can be tricky, and you can spend a lot of time chasing them.  Eliminating hardware is usually time well spent.

If you boot from separate media, and still get errors, you are at the point of unplugging everything except what you need to power on and self test the BIOS with.  Then through a process of elimination you can add one thing back at a time until you get the errors again.

Otherwise, if you do end up debugging your installed Windows, at least you will know that your hardware is solid.  If it turns out to be a software and driver based issue, at some point you may decide that a clean Windows install is the only option to clean that up, and save some time.

robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/10 01:53:20 (permalink)
abacab
robbyk

Just based on experience, you would probably save some time if you booted your system hardware from a boot media separate from your hard drive and your installed OS.  This step will help rule out the hardware, as in your motherboard, power supply, CPU, RAM, hard drives, etc.  It also temporarily eliminates your installed OS + drivers.

Blue screens can be tricky, and you can spend a lot of time chasing them.  Eliminating hardware is usually time well spent.

If you boot from separate media, and still get errors, you are at the point of unplugging everything except what you need to power on and self test the BIOS with.  Then through a process of elimination you can add one thing back at a time until you get the errors again.

Otherwise, if you do end up debugging your installed Windows, at least you will know that your hardware is solid.  If it turns out to be a software and driver based issue, at some point you may decide that a clean Windows install is the only option to clean that up, and save some time.

Yes all hardware is now unplugged except my mouse and keyboard, I'm thinking if the resplendence doesn't tell me which driver, then a clean windows install is my best option so I can get going. At that point, I'm going to get a new pc so I am out of the stone age and reinstall sonar plus all that I have. I'll then reinstall windows on the old pc and convert it to a 2nd daw in another room and turn that into a guitar room and mancave with stereo and amps, etc...

But a step at a time, now I have to learn to walk like the penguin with my broken toes :)

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/11 17:20:33 (permalink)
OK, this is a disgusting Q, nonetheless, I need to answer it myself somehow, basically this pc is just what I want after I add more RAM and my 2nd HD. It is 1/2 price what I have going for me at the pcpartspicker place (boy saying that fast is a pickle). Why should I not get this and save the money to buy my wife some nice things?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883795901&cm_sp=Homepage_FDD-_-P1_83-795-901-_-10112017

I know, bloatware, Lenovo? Never heard of them,,,I'd rather build or buy a Jim pc, but this is inexpensive.

FYI, I'll be splitting wood until dark so I cannot respond until tonight, but I look forward to any thoughts? And thanks for all the great help!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/11 23:27:36 (permalink)
No I decided against it, cheap components, not good.

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/12 16:41:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2017/10/12 17:06:40
abacab

Reminds me of what I tell clients about software development:
Cheap, Fast, Good - Pick 2.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/12 17:07:58 (permalink)
patm300e
abacab

Reminds me of what I tell clients about software development:

All the above are true words of wisdom, I'm learning a lot on this journey; Saturday is another rain day so I'll be back on the troubleshooting horse :)

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
abacab
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/10/12 17:11:24 (permalink)
patm300e

Cheap == fix the old computer

robbyk
Re: Stop Error Screen - Blue Screen and unable to boot into windows 2017/12/04 21:29:45 (permalink)
Just got her today, a Dell with a 27' monitor. Many hundred off with the Cyber Monday sale so it was a good deal and probably all I need however I would have loved a pc from Jim. But in the back of my mind, I still have to think, I have terminal cancer so how long am I going to use this? So I need to temper my decisions.

This will be my main DAW (large living room) with a Focusrite input and once all is operational, I will load up Win 10 on my other pc and it will be my second DAW (bedroom) with Line 6 input and pod farm for electric guitar mostly. I think it's all gonna work out great :)

Thanks again everyone for all the help above, now today I just hung up the summer work clothes as all the work is done and the land is ready for winter (in the twenties tomorrow). Tonight is figuring out this mandatory 65 social security enrollment (hate this stuff), tomorrow is repairing a part on my Lopi wood stove and installing a new kitchen faucet, then I am off to the races!

I know I'm going to need help reinstalling and reauthorizing everything, I've never done that before. I'm sure I'll find great help here though!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1