Helpful ReplyStudio Acoustics Question

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/04 17:59:51 (permalink)
Johnbee58
I think I may have a problem!  My Scarlett 6i6 interface has a problem running at 48 khz and it has to be able to for ARC.  I ordered ARC from Sweetwater.  I hope it's not too late to cancel it.  If I switch from 44.1 to 48 it will change but will not play anything.  If I click on a wav file to play a second time it will revert to 44.1.  Does this mean I can't run a test?
JB

I'm running ARC 2 with a scarlett 6i6 (1st gen) - I've no issues with it.

When measuring, ARC 2 has to run at 48Khz. I find that when you get to the screen to choose your audio device, you have to click "ASIO Panel" button in order for it to pick up the Scarlett 6i6 at 48Khz. 

From then on, everything should be ok.

I always run at 44.1Khz in Sonar, and haven't found an issue.

M.
msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/04 18:01:23 (permalink)
Just a thought, if you've also got Windows set to use your 6i6 as a sound device make sure it's also set to 48Khz, or set Windows to use your in-built sound card temporarily.

Windows 10 has a nasty habit of interfering with DAW's if the sound device is the same - especially when you're using ASIO.

M.
Johnbee58
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/04 23:25:14 (permalink)
msmcleod
Just a thought, if you've also got Windows set to use your 6i6 as a sound device make sure it's also set to 48Khz, or set Windows to use your in-built sound card temporarily.

Windows 10 has a nasty habit of interfering with DAW's if the sound device is the same - especially when you're using ASIO.

M.

I've been around and around this all damned day!  I'm extremely pissed.  I had a Sweetwater tech get into my system via team player software and got it set up to run at 48k.  Then all hell broke loose.  Cakewalk projects wouldn't open, VST instruments would play.  It was a nightmare.  He got Windows to run at 48 and all this trouble ensued so I called another tech who set me back to 44.1.  All seems back to normal except a a fairly new project I just started working on went corrupt.  I fixed it by transfering the MIDI files to a new project, so that's OK.  Now, what I need to know (msmcleod) is-If I temporarily, for the sake of the test, run the 6i6 & Windows at 48k to do the test, after the test is completed and I make the correction file could I take everything back to 44.1?  Will the ARC Correction file run on 44.1? Because if the correction file that you run in the master buss needs to run at 48k I'm screwed and need to send the ARC back without opening it so I can get a refund.

I have everything configured so that the Scarlett is the main soundcard for Windows so I don't have to change everything just to record.  I've been doing that for 3 years now and up until now it's never been a problem.  My computer in my studio is dedicated for music production so it's really not an issue.  Today is the first time I ever had to mess with the soundcard drivers and it's a real trip through hell.  If I would've known it was going to involve this much frustration I wouldn't have bothered with ARC.

I gotta get a new hobby like painting or ceramics or something.  This music crap is diving me nutz!!  Or at least go back to writing songs on an acoustic guitar with a cheap tape recorder like I started back in 1977.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 00:04:57 (permalink)
Johnbee58
 Now, what I need to know (msmcleod) is-If I temporarily, for the sake of the test, run the 6i6 & Windows at 48k to do the test, after the test is completed and I make the correction file could I take everything back to 44.1?  Will the ARC Correction file run on 44.1? Because if the correction file that you run in the master buss needs to run at 48k I'm screwed and need to send the ARC back without opening it so I can get a refund.

This is exactly how I did it. I ran the test at 48K (because it has to be), but since running the test I use 44.1K in Sonar exclusively. And this was on a 6i6 1st gen.

A few things to point out however:

1. My Windows sound device is NOT set to my 6i6. It's set to the motherboard's onboard realtek one, with a windows sound scheme of "none".

2. When you do the test (measurement), make sure you've got nothing else running - no CbB, no Sonar - just IK Multimedia's standalone ARC 2 app.

3. Also make sure you get your speaker level as close to the volume you'd normally play things back at. I tend not to have it too loud, so it took a bit of tweaking to get the mic gain/volume set to an acceptable balance for the measurement software.

4. Finally, there's a diagram of where you should place your mic for the various measurements. It's vital you get the positioning correct, else you'll get inaccurate results (like one speaker louder than the other).

What I did was scan in the diagram, blow it up to like 8x the size, printed it out on loads of sheets of paper, and taped them all together. I taped this to the floor.

I used a standard mic-stand to do my measurements, but lowered the centre pole so it was just above the floor (i.e. not touching). I could then easily line this up with the diagram when going from one position to another.

Once it's all done, you can safely fire up ARC 2 in CbB/Sonar at 44.1Khz.  Simply pick "Flat" and whatever you called your measurement and off you go. Like I said in an earlier post, I noticed the difference RIGHT away. 

I hope this helps!

M.
msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 00:13:24 (permalink)
Johnbee58
 Today is the first time I ever had to mess with the soundcard drivers and it's a real trip through hell.  If I would've known it was going to involve this much frustration I wouldn't have bothered with ARC.

Johnbee58
I've been around and around this all damned day!  I'm extremely pissed.  I had a Sweetwater tech get into my system via team player software and got it set up to run at 48k.  Then all hell broke loose.  Cakewalk projects wouldn't open, VST instruments would play.  It was a nightmare.  He got Windows to run at 48 and all this trouble ensued so I called another tech who set me back to 44.1. 

You shouldn't have to go through this sort of hell to get the measurement working. As long as you've got nothing else running, the measurement software should just work.

As I said in an earlier post, I found I had to click the "ASIO Panel" button on the IK Multimedia app (which opens Scarlett Mix Control) to force it to 48K. From then on, it was fine.

Once you've done that, try running Scarlett Mix Control on it's own and set it back to 44.1K before you open Sonar/CbB again.

M.
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 00:40:45 (permalink)
Are you saying that you didn't have to do ANYTHING (regarding the testing software)?  The test set itself up?
You started the test @44.1 and the software set everything to 48k for the test?

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 00:47:30 (permalink)
Johnbee58
Are you saying that you didn't have to do ANYTHING (regarding the testing software)?  The test set itself up?

No, I said when it got to picking the audio device part of the test I had to pick "Focusrite 6i6" then press the "ASIO Panel" button and select 48K from the Scarlett Mix Control that pops up.

Once that was done, I continued taking my measurements at 48K.

Once I'd finished, I went back to using 44.1K within Sonar.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 09:18:29 (permalink)
msmcleod
Johnbee58

No, I said when it got to picking the audio device part of the test I had to pick "Focusrite 6i6" then press the "ASIO Panel" button and select 48K from the Scarlett Mix Control that pops up.

Sorry.  I didn't mean it to sound like that.  What I meant was that you didn't have to change the Windows sound configuration.  You wouldn't have to since you don't use that for overall PC sound if the PC sound comes from the onboard soundcard.

JB

msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 09:28:33 (permalink)
Johnbee58
msmcleod
Johnbee58

Sorry.  I didn't mean it to sound like that.  What I meant was that you didn't have to change the Windows sound configuration.  You wouldn't have to since you don't use that for overall PC sound if the PC sound comes from the onboard soundcard.

JB

That's correct, I didn't have to change any of the windows stuff.

To be honest, you shouldn't have to either. The only reason that the ARC 2 program might have an issue is if something else has your 6i6 in use.

So make sure nothing else is running.

Things like Skype or Microsoft Edge might be running in the background.

M.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 14:33:02 (permalink)
Johnbee58
Oh, and regarding the speaker placement.  It might not be visible from looking at the pic but I simply cannot move them.  They are already against the wall.  They're as far OUT as they can be moved because the bass traps are angled inward.  That's why I considered moving the setup against the long wall.  But you don't think that's a good idea?

Move your desk out 6-10" from where it is now. That will let you get your speakers further apart and also allow more space behind them for the rear ports (if equipped) to do their job. As it is now, your rear ports are all but blocked off by the wall foam. Those ports need room to breath or they do nothing.

Also concur with sitting and listening to CD's that you know well on them. If reference music you know well sounds like it has enough bass, then the problem isn't with your speakers or placement. If the reference music also sounds weak in the low end, start experimenting. Move the speakers out as I suggested. Try pulling the bass traps off the wall. If that makes your reference music sound like you think it should, problem solved. If not, you may have to go with eq to fix the problem.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 14:49:11 (permalink)
JBG-Thanks for your tips.  Moving the desk back 6 to 10 " can be done, though it might make it a bit harder to get in and out the studio door.  I wouldn't be able to move the speakers further apart because the bases of the stands are really wide and they are already against the short wall.  But the 6 to 10 " movement would allow me to pull the speaker further out from the bass traps.  Yes, these speaker do port bass from a rear cone.

Pretty kitty, by the way.
JB

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 15:00:41 (permalink)
Johnbee58
I wouldn't be able to move the speakers further apart because the bases of the stands are really wide and they are already against the short wall.  
There are speaker stands available that don't do that. I'm just sayin'. 

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 21:33:19 (permalink)
Getting back to the issue of turning the correction off before rendering/bouncing the mix:  Would it be OK to just delete it from the master buss before rendering?  You might as well anyway if you have it disabled.

Reason why I ask is it is an IK Multimedia product and so far I've owned 2 of their products, Miroslav Philharmonik and Sampletank.  If I saved either of them in a mix I wasn't able to re open the project later. The project would just hang when loading.  I've discussed this issue with their Tech support and never got a successful solution, so, if possible, I'd rather not save anything with any IK Multimedia product loaded into it, disabled or not.

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/05 21:43:01 (permalink)
I'm also wondering after I render the corrected remix, how will it sound on my monitor speakers when I play the rendered WAV or MP3?  Will it sound as good there beings that it won't have the room correction?

msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/06 16:05:17 (permalink)
Johnbee58
I'm also wondering after I render the corrected remix, how will it sound on my monitor speakers when I play the rendered WAV or MP3?  Will it sound as good there beings that it won't have the room correction?

In some ways this is pretty subjective, and totally depends on how "wrong" your room is, but in my experience stuff that has been mixed with ARC 2 on, sound good when played without it... not as good ... but good nonetheless.

On the other hand, things mixed in my studio without ARC sound absolutely awful on other systems.

Try playing a reference track in Cakewalk with ARC on / off and see the difference.... the difference should be more or less the same for your own track (assuming it's well mixed).

The point is I guess, that if you've mixed it well it should sound good on any device - which is the whole point of getting your room as flat as possible by using ARC 2. So when you play stuff with it off, although it won't sound perfect, it should still sound good. Of course if you played it in a perfect space, like a professional studio, it should sound just as you mixed it.

M.

Mark McLeod
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/06 16:44:43 (permalink)
Johnbee58
Getting back to the issue of turning the correction off before rendering/bouncing the mix:  Would it be OK to just delete it from the master buss before rendering?  You might as well anyway if you have it disabled.

This is how I solve the correction issue. Set it once and I never have to touch it again. I do my mixes and render with no need to keep track of whether I'm applying correction or not.

http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Equalizers/DEQ2496/p/P0146

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/06 17:15:14 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Johnbee58

This is how I solve the correction issue. Set it once and I never have to touch it again. I do my mixes and render with no need to keep track of whether I'm applying correction or not.

http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Equalizers/DEQ2496/p/P0146

That's a good point.  Because once you get the correction file you kinda have to tweak that too, right?  I'm just hoping that I won't have the same freezing issue with ARC saved in a project that I have with the other two IKM products I have.

JB

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/07 00:08:58 (permalink)
Johnbee58

That's a good point.  Because once you get the correction file you kinda have to tweak that too, right?  

I didn't work with any kind of correction file. That particular unit has an RTA with noise generator. I ran the RTA and set the eq to flatten my speaker response. Then I listened to some reference music that I know well and tweaked a bit. Then I saved those settings and I've never had to touch it again.

msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/07 12:50:52 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Johnbee58

That's a good point.  Because once you get the correction file you kinda have to tweak that too, right?  

I didn't work with any kind of correction file. That particular unit has an RTA with noise generator. I ran the RTA and set the eq to flatten my speaker response. Then I listened to some reference music that I know well and tweaked a bit. Then I saved those settings and I've never had to touch it again.

I seriously considered going for a hardware solution myself - as you say, you touch it once and it's done.

But to be honest though, ARC 2 isn't that different. Once you've done your measurement that preset is saved and you just stick ARC on the main bus. It's just the matter of remembering to disable it before rendering to WAV.

My main reason for going for ARC 2 in the end was that it was a complete "matched" solution. The software / mic / measurement are all designed to work with each other, and it was pretty easy to get it set up. It also claims to do more than just eq, like phase correction and handling standing waves.

I've re-arranged my speakers a few times and it only takes 10 minutes to do a complete new measurement.

The only downside I've encountered is when using hardware MIDI instruments in my main studio. Before getting ARC 2, I simply ran these into a spare stereo input on my 18i20 and had it send it directly to the monitor output. To get a "corrected" sound however, I have to disable the monitor output on those inputs, and arm a spare track in Sonar to "echo" the signal so it goes through ARC 2. 

I've more or less retired my hardware synths now though, and I have samples of most of the sounds I used, so it's no issue now. I spend most of my time in the house on my 6i6 rig with software only instruments in any case, and I can use ARC-2 there too - with a completely different room/set of speakers. I only really use the main studio for vocal recording and mixing (or when I need peace and quiet from my 5yr old!).

Mark McLeod
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/07 17:17:36 (permalink)
OK Guys!

I got the system in the mail yesterday.  I set it up no problem.  I ran a preliminary test this morning (7 measurement points, no room measuring) just to see if and how it was going to work.  When I installed it yesterday and started it, it told me it couldn't find my audio hardware even though the 6i6 was in the drop down.  So I called Sweetwater tech support and he told me that this is because it was running a 44.1 khz and the system MUST be set for 48k to run the measurement software.  So I stole my spine, held my breath and set up Windows to 48k.  Tried to run the measurement software again and it connected.  I had to figure out which outputs CbB used and they were different from the outputs Windows used, so I had to change the outputs for the test too. I have to make notes of all these steps and put them into my "Studio Notes" notebook (paper documents and notes I make for this kind of thing) before I forget them.

Anyway, after I ran the rough test I took everything back down to 44.1 and loaded the plug in into the master buss of a project.  It worked great!  I was very impressed by how different the "flat" response sounded over what was just the room.  I did a rendering (remembering to disable ARC) and the only difference I heard was the wav file had a bit more bass response than the mix did in correction mode in the DAW.  So, I reasoned that in playing the wav file, I was, in effect, using my monitor speakers and Windows Media Player as the "playback device" so I went into WMPs equalizer and rolled off some bass and it sounded fine.

Tomorrow, I plan on setting it up again and doing a proper 14 point measurement using the tape measure and paper strips to mark the area like it suggests in the instructions.

One question remains though-Would I be able to back up the correction file onto a flash drive or something similar just in case I'd have to ever wipe my HDD clean and reinstall everything so I wouldn't have to run a retest?  If so, where is the file located?

Thanks for all of your help, everybody!
JB

msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/07 17:29:19 (permalink)
The measurement files are stored here:

C:\Users\your username\Documents\IK Multimedia\ARC System 2\Measurements

They're the .arc2 files in this directory.

It took me AGES to find this the first time around!

Mark McLeod
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/09 00:42:58 (permalink)
Thanks Mark!  I found the file.

I did a 14 point measurement today and it went well.  I looked at a few YouTube vids on how to set up and there is one where the guy goes anal and uses a laser pointer and put pieces of paper for his measuring points on a storage box lid and on the floor.  I'm sure you've seen it.  Then I watched IKMs own video on the set up and they said it doesn't have to be all that critically accurate (paraphraising).  I'm mean, I'm not knocking the guy who did the elaborate vid.  He seems like he really knows his stuff (he's says he's a pro audio engineer), but I did find it strange that he went to all this trouble to painstakingly measure what appears to be an unfinished room.  It has no flooring and some of the walls don't even have insulation or drywall.  There are tool boxes and ladders all over the room too.  I hope he redid the measurement after the room was finished.

After I did my 14 point I opened one of my most difficult songs to see how much had to be remixed.  I was hoping not too much, but it appears that I'm going to have to tear down the whole mix on that song and start all over from the drums on up.  It's the kind of song that starts quiet and builds up to a point where it's much louder and fuller towards the end.  I had to decide whether to use automation to "ride the faders" at the louder points, use mix buss compression or perhaps even both.  I have a great mix buss compressor (Waves SSL) but I hesitate to use it because I generally dislike compression because it tends to kill dynamics, but I know sometimes it's a necessary evil.

I appreciate the technical help I get from this forum.  It means a lot to me.  Your help was invaluable with the ARC/Room acoustics issue.

JB

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/09 03:37:43 (permalink)
I never felt I needed ARC.  After this thread, I feel like I did the right thing.
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/09 09:22:10 (permalink)
AT
I never felt I needed ARC.  After this thread, I feel like I did the right thing.

Well, goody goody for YOU!  Exactly what is the point of a post like this?  To piss somebody off?  To intimidate somebody or to show how cool/smart you are?  Sadly, there many people on this forum with this kind of attitude.  If you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread (of mine or anybody else's) please don't bother posting anything to it. 

Thank you.
post edited by Johnbee58 - 2018/06/09 12:47:47

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/09 20:01:00 (permalink)
Don't take offense, JB. AT is not the only one here who thinks ARC is snake oil.

Of course, if it works for you, it works for you. Just know that opinions are (legitimately) divided on ARC.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/09 20:17:56 (permalink)
bitflipper
Don't take offense, JB. AT is not the only one here who thinks ARC is snake oil.

Of course, if it works for you, it works for you. Just know that opinions are (legitimately) divided on ARC.

To tell the truth, I don't know if it will work for me or not at this point.  I took the advise of a handful of people here and now I have to try some remixes and see.  But I only wish if there was going to be some voicing their negative opinion of it they would've came out with them before I installed the program last Wednesday.  Then again, I could've (should've) waited a bit longer to order it.

post edited by Johnbee58 - 2018/06/09 21:41:36

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/10 02:04:51 (permalink)
...I only wish if there was going to be some voicing their negative opinion of it they would've came out with them before I installed the program...

Sorry. Unfortunately, ARC is one of those religious topics that can spur flame wars, so doubters usually keep quiet lest they inflame the faithful.

To be fair, some of the ARC fans here are people I have immense respect for. People like Danny Danzi, who gets unarguably superb results and also credits ARC for some of his success. I suspect the fact that he's a really good mixer might have far more to do with it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/10 02:27:20 (permalink)
bitflipper

To be fair, some of the ARC fans here are people I have immense respect for. People like Danny Danzi, who gets unarguably superb results and also credits ARC for some of his success. I suspect the fact that he's a really good mixer might have far more to do with it.

..................or possibly both?......

I find it odd that they can add their 2 cents to this thread now that I'm into it and there's no turning back.  Next time I'm considering buying something I guess I'll have to post a thread here for opinions before hand and go by the negs and poss before I lay down my cash.

By the way, BF-I was just looking at your thread you posted last year about your Sampletank.  I didn't want to go into the whole lengthy thing, but did you resolve your $10.00 issue with them?  I have an issue with them about Miroslav Philharmonik getting broken when I upgraded from Sonar X3 to CbB.  I guess I'll be asked to pay $10.00 too if it involves a re download.

David
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 231
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/10 10:21:08 (permalink)
You seem really upset over one comment , If this was the only post  on the internet on how to install Arc 2
I doubt I would have tried it as well :) there was lots of misunderstanding and over complicating things .
   You got some great advice and being able to hear correctly is so worth the gamble of buying the software.
You will grow in knowledge of your room just by looking at your room readings if nothing else.
    Some of have spent hours and hours and hours treating our rooms , taking measurements and trying 
programs like Arc 2 and Sonarworks just to be able to hear correctly .  I have used a Hardware eq for years just to 
  smooth out the last touches on my room but have just purchased Sonarworks ( I own Arc 2 as well) We will see of 
   I stay with this or not ,
     Anyway with your Room I do think you made to correct choice , enjoy!

David F

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/10 12:59:14 (permalink)
David
You seem really upset over one comment , If this was the only post  on the internet on how to install Arc 2
I doubt I would have tried it as well :) there was lots of misunderstanding and over complicating things .
   You got some great advice and being able to hear correctly is so worth the gamble of buying the software.
You will grow in knowledge of your room just by looking at your room readings if nothing else.
    Some of have spent hours and hours and hours treating our rooms , taking measurements and trying 
programs like Arc 2 and Sonarworks just to be able to hear correctly .  I have used a Hardware eq for years just to 
  smooth out the last touches on my room but have just purchased Sonarworks ( I own Arc 2 as well) We will see of 
   I stay with this or not ,
     Anyway with your Room I do think you made to correct choice , enjoy!

I think so too.  I don't know (but I highly doubt) if there are many home recordists that work in a room quite as small as mine.  5' X 12' is tiny.  Barely bigger than a closet.  There is a laundry area in my house just for the washer and dryer and this room is only slightly bigger than that.  Also, I have room treatment.  Not just some jerry-rigged furniture blanket set up, but the real thing that's used in pro studios and I had professional guidance on how/where to place it.
Last night I read some reviews on ARC and the one on "Sound On Sound" seems favorable.  Maybe these doubters don't need it and that's OK.  If you don't need it you don't need it.  But with the size of my room I needed something.  I started this thread asking for advise (and even supplying pictures) on how to improve my studio acoustics.  I got many responses very quickly and more than one seemed to endorse ARC. No negative comments in that early period of time either.  I made the choice and some very knowledgeable people guided me through a process that they believe works. 

In the end it all comes down to what Dirty Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) said in "The Dead Pool"
-Opinions are like a**holes.  Everybody has one"
One of my favorite quotes ever.  I should think of that more in my dealings with some people.
JB

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1