Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/06/02 23:04:11 (permalink)

Studio Acoustics Question

Hello Again! 

I want you to look at the picture I've posted.  I have a dedicated room for recording.  It's very small (only 5' X 12') but it serves my purpose.  I know I'm never going to fit a drum kit in there but I don't play drums anyway and EZ Drummer 2 does that great for me.

What you're seeing is the short wall.  In April of 2016 I submitted this photo and others covering the rest of the room to Aurelex and they sent me a graphic "blueprint" of where to install the panels. https://imgur.com/a/WaGzfHC Notice that the bass traps are where the bass port are in the back of the speakers.  My question is did Aurelex give me bogus information on where to place these?  I hardly get much bass response no matter where I set it in the mix.  Can this be why?  Keep in mind that as this room is very small I don't have too many options, but this is how they told me to set it up. This is the first I'm posting an image here.  I hope it works.

Thanks!
John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:07:23 (permalink)
When adding an image to a post, use the url for the image not the url for the page hosting the image. In this case the url for the image is https://i.imgur.com/LVa4YR9.jpg
Note: the url has an image file extension. Embed this link in your post like this
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:11:13 (permalink)

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:11:54 (permalink)
hmmm, beaten, already done

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:13:37 (permalink)
scook
When adding an image to a post, use the url for the image not the url for the page hosting the image. In this case the url for the image is https://i.imgur.com/LVa4YR9.jpg
Note: the url has an image file extension. Embed this link in your post like this

Yeah.  I did that and it came up something like "Not A Legal URL"
Thanks, scook for posting the pic.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:15:26 (permalink)
I just right click, copy image location . . .  (Firefox)

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:20:19 (permalink)

Practicing.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:22:11 (permalink)
Johnbee58

Yeah.  I did that and it came up something like "Not A Legal URL"

That is usually the result a bad paste. The url I posted above worked in the Insert/Edit image dialog. Another way to get the image in a post is click in the image in your imgur account and click on copy next to the BBCode string and then paste that directly into your post.

BTW, those monitors (JBL LSR308s) look pretty big for the closet you have them in.
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:25:06 (permalink)
Yay!!  I did it!  I tried Matron Landslide's suggestion and it worked.  Thanks ML.
Now that that's settled can we get to the original question?
Thanks!

msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:39:36 (permalink)
I had a very similar experience with my speakers. Originally they were around 2" from the back wall the wall and got a great bass response. However to free up some desk space, I recently put them on mounted wall stands (which brought them as far form the wall as your speakers) and the bass practically disappeared. 

I'm using IK Multimedia ARC 2, so after taking new measurements it sorted it all out by boosting the bass a fair amount.

I know that some HiFi speakers are actually designed to make use of the wall behind them for bass, but I didn't think this was the same case for studio monitors... maybe it is for some, I don't know. My speakers certainly needed a bass boost though after moving them away from the wall.

I would recommend ARC 2 though (or some similar speaker measurement software along with a hardware stereo graphic eq). This will allow you to compensate for various frequency responses.

The angle of your speakers did catch my eye on your photo though. It looks like they're angled so the crossover point is just between your querty keyboard and monitor, whereas it should be where your ears are. I'd expect them to be angled to hit your ears around the middle of your chair - maybe it's just an illusion of the photo tho.

M.
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:45:55 (permalink)
msmcleod
I had a very similar experience with my speakers. Originally they were around 2" from the back wall the wall and got a great bass response. However to free up some desk space, I recently put them on mounted wall stands (which brought them as far form the wall as your speakers) and the bass practically disappeared. 

I'm using IK Multimedia ARC 2, so after taking new measurements it sorted it all out by boosting the bass a fair amount.

I know that some HiFi speakers are actually designed to make use of the wall behind them for bass, but I didn't think this was the same case for studio monitors... maybe it is for some, I don't know. My speakers certainly needed a bass boost though after moving them away from the wall.

I would recommend ARC 2 though (or some similar speaker measurement software along with a hardware stereo graphic eq). This will allow you to compensate for various frequency responses.

The angle of your speakers did catch my eye on your photo though. It looks like they're angled so the crossover point is just between your querty keyboard and monitor, whereas it should be where your ears are. I'd expect them to be angled to hit your ears around the middle of your chair - maybe it's just an illusion of the photo tho.

M.

Yeah.  I try to do that "axis" thing with the triangle.  When I'm sitting on that chair my head is perhaps a bit above the woofers.  The speaker stands have discreet  notches so I can't put them just anywhere height wise. If I moved them up to the next notch they would definitely be too high.  Also, each of those monitor speakers has a high and a low pass filter (3 positions).  I tried all the positions and none changes the situation much.

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/02 23:49:52 (permalink)
I considered moving the whole set up along the long wall.  That would give me less room behind my back but I've always wondered if that would make it sound better.  It would be too messy to try to move the panels. Also, you can't see it on this picture but there are several panels on the ceiling above the DAW desk.

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 03:57:14 (permalink)
Overall that's a very narrow space so not ideal at all. It's  even narrower than a mobile recording truck space. Your speakers are a bit to close together for a traditional triangle. Just look at pictures of pro studios. And in your case look at mobile recording truck designs.  They will give you the best starting point.  

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 06:27:16 (permalink)
  • You need to move your monitors to the side as much as possible - thy are far too close together, in my opinion
  • You are correct in firing speakers down the long length of the room, I wouldn't encourage re-orientating 
  • I don't think Auralex have given you bogus information, you have the trapping exactly where you need it, at the reflection points and behind the monitors
  • So for now, set all of your speakers adjustments to flat, move them, then try using ARC to fine tune the response.
In a room that small, I'm surprised there's a lack of bass - taming it is usually more of an issue.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 09:36:51 (permalink)
Fellas

I know it's small.  Unusually small even.   I have a lemon and I have to make lemonade with it. Is it possible or not?
The only option I have is this room.  Is it possible to get more out of this room or would that be a waste of effort?
What is ARC?

JB

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 09:41:46 (permalink)
Oh, and regarding the speaker placement.  It might not be visible from looking at the pic but I simply cannot move them.  They are already against the wall.  They're as far OUT as they can be moved because the bass traps are angled inward.  That's why I considered moving the setup against the long wall.  But you don't think that's a good idea?

msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 10:01:22 (permalink)
Johnbee58
Fellas

I know it's small.  Unusually small even.   I have a lemon and I have to make lemonade with it. Is it possible or not?
The only option I have is this room.  Is it possible to get more out of this room or would that be a waste of effort?
What is ARC?

JB

ARC2:  http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc2/

Basically ARC 2 is a room correction plugin. You get a measurement microphone and the ARC2 software. The software measures your room by recording frequency sweeps at various microphone positions, then creates a correction profile so that your speakers give a flat response.

The focus is on EQ, but it also claims do deal with phase issues, and standing waves. 

The results were like night & day for me. I can't recommend it enough.

Although the it's not cheap, actually the measurement mic is really good as an acoustic instrument mic, so it's not like it's a one-use product.

M.
msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 10:19:12 (permalink)
BTW - my studio is tiny too... 1.5m x 4.5m (5' x 15').

I run mine 90 deg to yours, mainly so I've got room for my electronic drums:

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 13:40:52 (permalink)
Shooting sound down the longer dimension of the room is the correct approach. If I was to re-arrange that room, it would be only to see if there was room to pull everything away from the wall a bit. Even 6" could help.

Your photo doesn't show if there is any absorption on the ceiling. That would be beneficial if the ceiling height allows it. It should ideally be at least 3" thick with an equivalent air gap above it. That would take 6" off the room's height - whether it's do-able depends on whether you have that much clearance to spare.

A room that size cannot reinforce bass response well, so subjectively the bass is always going to sound weak. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The formula for calculating the lowest frequency supported by the room is f = 1028/2L, where L is the longest dimension. (IOW, what frequency's half-wave is equal to the length of the room.) Yours comes out to about 36 Hz, so those frequencies are there - just not acoustically amplified by the room.

The good news is you can definitely deal with that, as long as you're careful not to compensate by over-emphasizing low frequencies in your mix. Best way to accomplish this is to just kick back and dedicate a few hours to listening to your favorite commercial recordings. That simple exercise will train your brain to recognize what a good mix sounds like on your speakers in your room. Over time you'll have no problem gauging where your bass is.

Also employ a spectrum analyzer to observe the low-frequency content in your reference music, so you'll then be able to double-check if your own mixes are bass-heavy just by looking at the graph.

These steps require little or no money. Of course, if you've got bucks to burn, sealed non-ported (or even front-ported) speakers would be an improvement. But I'd try literally everything else before blowing a couple grand on new speakers! 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 13:47:34 (permalink)
There are a few things you need to consider:
  1. symmetry is critical for a good stereo image - you seem to have that pretty well settled
  2. Placement of your loudspeakers and ears is critical - and there are no secret formulae for that, you'll need to experiment.
  3. you want as much distance as possible between your ears and the back wall - up to about 12 feet, so facing the short wall, in your case, will be better.
  4. different loudspeakers have different requirements with respect to placement - refer to the user manual or web site.
Auralex is not in the business of giving bad advice, but you also have to remember that their blueprint is free, and sometimes you get what you pay for.

It is possible to design a studio on paper alone, but it requires experience (which arguably they have), and time (a LOT of time), and some tools or great math skills. A long time ago they employed a brilliant studio acoustician. He has since moved on, and I don't know who is doing their design work, but I would take  it with a grain of salt. But then I'd take advice from almost any acoustician (Russ Berger, Wes Lashot, and George Ausperger come to mind) with a grain of salt<G>!

It isn't always practical, or financially feasible, but even a couple hours of a good designer's time could save you a lot of money and frustration, especially in a smaller space.

All of which may sound terribly negative, and it isn't. One of the best control rooms I ever worked in was oriented along the long wall, with a huge window into the studio, and two grown men had a difficult time passing behind the console. Yet every track that came out of there translated beautifully. A big part of that, of course, is that the studio owner knew the room, but even stuff I mixed there worked well. The studio was designed by a gentleman who spent his early years designing studios in Europe, where small control rooms were the norm. Clearly he learned his craft!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 13:52:18 (permalink)
I would enjoy the room for general playback / editing  etc. - In my opinion you would be better off making actual mix decisions with good quality headphones.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 14:48:31 (permalink)
Rbh
In my opinion you would be better off making actual mix decisions with good quality headphones.

Which I do!
I looked into ARC 2.5.  I can get it at Sweetwater for $200.00 and I'm considering it. 

My mixes currently sound great in my Walkman using Beats headphones and that is really how I listen to my stuff the most and they also sound great in my car (a 2010 Ford Escape).  I hardly ever mix using the JBL monitors because they sound so crappy.  I would like to improve how the mixes sound on the JBL monitors because I think if I could get the mixes to sound good on them in my recording room, they would sound better in more listening environments.  I have my music uploaded on Bandcamp and Soundclick and it sometimes bothers me what people might think of the overall fidelity of the music when they visit my sites and take a listen.  If the mixes sound crappy to me on my monitor speakers they must sound just as crappy to others playing them on the sites.  Maybe I worry too much.

JB

Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 16:11:21 (permalink)
John, I use the ARC 2 system, and it indeed helps.  It was designed for studios like yours.  It'll make your JBL's useful.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 18:02:30 (permalink)
I was just about to order ARC 2.5 but then I saw this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSS6iyhqFqo
What's he talking about here?  Wouldn't you want to have this bounced into your mix, or not?  Also, does the resulting correction file go into the master buss?  I'm afraid this is going to lead to a routing nightmare.

David
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 231
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 20:22:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/06/05 12:36:44
Arc or Sonarworks is for only listening only!  it is to try correct you room. It is turned off when mixing down.
   the problem is we could forget to turn if off when mixing down so people look at different routing solutions.
    Just put it on your master buss and turn it off when you mix down

David F

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 20:47:49 (permalink)
David
Arc or Sonarworks is for only listening only!  it is to try correct you room. It is turned off when mixing down.
   the problem is we could forget to turn if off when mixing down so people look at different routing solutions.

Alright.  Getting there but still a bit confused.  When you say "mixing down" do you mean having a project open and adding effects, balancing tracks, etc, or do you mean after we have the mix as we want and we go to file and render export, bounce) our mix to a wav, mp3?  I would think we want it on when we're doing the balancing, adding effects, adding automation, etc.  You mean turn it off when we decide to render our "mix" to a wav or mp3.  Right?

JB

msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 20:55:25 (permalink)
Johnbee58
David

Alright.  Getting there but still a bit confused.  When you say "mixing down" do you mean having a project open and adding effects, balancing tracks, etc, or do you mean after we have the mix as we want and we go to file and render export, bounce) our mix to a wav, mp3?  I would think we want it on when we're doing the balancing, adding effects, adding automation, etc.  You mean turn it off when we decide to render our "mix" to a wav or mp3.  Right?

JB

What you're hearing from your master bus isn't actually what is being played, because your speakers/room aren't accurate.

ARC2 sits on your master bus to correct this. Think of it as a graphic EQ between the master bus and your speakers.

However, once you've done your mix / automation etc and you're ready to export, you need to switch ARC2 off.

You don't want your finished product EQ'd for your room. Other people won't be listening to it in your room. You want everyone to hear it as you "heard" it... i.e. without the correction.

M.
msmcleod
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 20:58:47 (permalink)
As an analogy, say you had a camera and you're short-sighted.

You wear glasses to adjust for the fact that the camera "looks" out of focus for you.

ARC2 are the glasses, except in this case they're in front of the lense.

You've lined everything up and got it just how you want it. Once you're ready to "take your photo" (i.e. export to WAV), you take the glasses away... otherwise you'll get a blurry picture.

M.

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/03 21:14:55 (permalink)
msmcleod
As an analogy, say you had a camera and you're short-sighted.

You wear glasses to adjust for the fact that the camera "looks" out of focus for you.

ARC2 are the glasses, except in this case they're in front of the lense.

You've lined everything up and got it just how you want it. Once you're ready to "take your photo" (i.e. export to WAV), you take the glasses away... otherwise you'll get a blurry picture.

M.

OK.  This makes sense.  This is what I thought.  Thanks!

Johnbee58
Re: Studio Acoustics Question 2018/06/04 01:18:18 (permalink)
I think I may have a problem!  My Scarlett 6i6 interface has a problem running at 48 khz and it has to be able to for ARC.  I ordered ARC from Sweetwater.  I hope it's not too late to cancel it.  If I switch from 44.1 to 48 it will change but will not play anything.  If I click on a wav file to play a second time it will revert to 44.1.  Does this mean I can't run a test?
JB
post edited by Johnbee58 - 2018/06/04 01:52:10

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1