Helpful ReplyStudio One V4

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 14:56:39 (permalink)
A lot of assumptions are made by idiots about who use features like the chord arranger. For some it is merely a timesaver or analysis tool. Having such info visually is highly useful regardless of level of arranging ability.
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 15:19:13 (permalink)
Dub - I agree - unless you're referring to me as an idiot in which case I'll concede but add a "hey....".
LOL - jk

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 15:20:08 (permalink)
Brando
Bob - thank you. That actually sounds awesome. Didn't realize you could use the chord track just for showing a chord progression, which in itself would be useful. As I mentioned above, I bought the upgrade to take advantage of the JRR sale price. Reluctant to install mostly because as I understand it, you lose access to S3 - so it's not like Cakewalk where you can simultaneously install two (or more) versions.... I really like working in S3 right now, but it might just be time to jump in and make it go..

Losing access to V3 is a serious flaw that they're working to correct.  Once fixed, you still have access to V3 ... sorry I don't know the status on that one.

FYI - V4 does change the song file structure, so if you want to maintain the ability to open a song in V3, immediately do a Save As when you open it in V4.  You always copy outside of SO before opening too.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

BobF
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 15:29:06 (permalink)
I forgot to mention one critically important (to me) aspect of SO that I love; MIDI Controller support.  Global vs Context ... dead simple to set up.  For example, my LX61+ has great preconfigured support out of the box.  Not being happy with pre anything, I manually configured it from as 3 separate controllers; keys, transport+global and 8 faders + 8 knobs that follow plug-in context.  Unfortunately, not all plugs expose their controls as learnable, but for the ones that do there are zero limitations imposed by SO.

**** ... I'm starting to sound like a fanboi

Bob  --
--

BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 15:48:40 (permalink)
The chord track should be an easy learn for Toontrack EZ Keys users. I look forward to hearing from someone with both.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
Brando
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 16:15:00 (permalink)
Thanks Bob. Good advice on Save as when moving to V4. I checked the S1 forums and it looks like Presonus are resolving the license issues to give us the option to go back to 3.5. Hopefully today(?). I have fairly basic needs with respect to midi controllers - maybe from accepting ACT and its foibles. Nice to see built in support for specific controllers though. 
Understand the fanboi comment - I would likely never have tried out S1 (or Reaper, Cubase - I trialed Digital Performer a while back and quickly bailed on it) if not for Gibson's setting Cakewalk adrift. Still a soft spot in my heart and will keep up with Cakewalk updates, etc. But Studio One, despite its several limitations, sure fits well. 
Many thanks - off to install S4

Brando
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 16:15:13 (permalink)
Interesting idea about your LX61+.  I found that the built-in support for my nektar didn't work after upgrading.  Was thinking about doing everything manually, but I configured it as a keyboard for now, as I also just picked up a used Faderport 16, so no need for the other functions any more. 

For that matter, I can't even fit the keyboard and Faderport into my current setup, so I'll have to use one or the other for a few months while I get my new studio put together.  (I'm a guitar player at heart, and have an Axon and Brian Moore guitar, so I won't suffer much without keyboards.)

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Brando
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 16:19:02 (permalink)
BassDaddy
The chord track should be an easy learn for Toontrack EZ Keys users. I look forward to hearing from someone with both.

BD - don't have/never tried EZK. Interested to try out the chord track - though I'm a Chord Track agnostic at the moment. (But we'll see).

Brando
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 17:02:16 (permalink)
Brando
Dub - I agree - unless you're referring to me as an idiot in which case I'll concede but add a "hey....".
LOL - jk

Lol. I tend to save insults for those that truly deserve them .
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 17:05:34 (permalink)
Even when I encounter a tool that can be used to sort of “cheat” I prefer to look at flip side. I would rather have a kid use a cheat that sparks an interest in learning more than abandon the concept of creating music because they could not understand the fine details of counterpoint. I get urban teens to study the relationship between baroque and trap every day.
BobF
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 17:06:25 (permalink)
Brando
Thanks Bob. Good advice on Save as when moving to V4. I checked the S1 forums and it looks like Presonus are resolving the license issues to give us the option to go back to 3.5. Hopefully today(?). I have fairly basic needs with respect to midi controllers - maybe from accepting ACT and its foibles. Nice to see built in support for specific controllers though. 
Understand the fanboi comment - I would likely never have tried out S1 (or Reaper, Cubase - I trialed Digital Performer a while back and quickly bailed on it) if not for Gibson's setting Cakewalk adrift. Still a soft spot in my heart and will keep up with Cakewalk updates, etc. But Studio One, despite its several limitations, sure fits well. 
Many thanks - off to install S4

I had been dabbling with Reaper off/on for years, especially during X1 and X2.  Honestly, I picked up SO3P 10 months before the Gibby announcement.  It wasn't until the announcement that I got determined to dig into Reaper for comparison with SO.

Bob  --
--

BobF
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 17:33:15 (permalink)
Genghis
Interesting idea about your LX61+.  I found that the built-in support for my nektar didn't work after upgrading.  Was thinking about doing everything manually, but I configured it as a keyboard for now, as I also just picked up a used Faderport 16, so no need for the other functions any more. 

For that matter, I can't even fit the keyboard and Faderport into my current setup, so I'll have to use one or the other for a few months while I get my new studio put together.  (I'm a guitar player at heart, and have an Axon and Brian Moore guitar, so I won't suffer much without keyboards.)

I came close to getting an F8, but my keyboard sits in front of me and it's already a reach to the FP1

The FA06 just wasn't configurable enough, so I grabbed the LX61+ based on the fact that everything can be configured if need be.  So I configured a preset in the LX that has F1-8 and K1-8 sending on CH16.  I left F9 and the other buttons on the default.

The reason for this is that while any buttons mapped to commands in the global context stay the same in plug context, Control Linked controls don't.  So now I have a set that stay global (especially F9) and a set that get selected for plug context, listed as a separate device.

I just feel like I finally have all of my gear working with my software with straight-forward steps that make sense in that they do/perform exactly what I expect them to

Some day the FA will get connected as a sound module ... I actually prefer the LX keys anyway.

As far as EZK and Chord Track go, I have EZK but I haven't tried to use it combination with CT yet.  When I do, I post my experience over at BMD.

Bob  --
--

dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 18:38:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2018/05/25 20:15:18
For nektar users, they sent an update email the day s1v4 was released
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 20:22:37 (permalink)
dubdisciple

Oh cool.  I must not get their emails, but if they have an update for the keyboard I'll check it out when I get moved into the bigger place.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/25 20:55:27 (permalink)
Thinking that certain features are only made for certain music genres is a bit limited in its thinking.  You can use for example Impact XT and Sample One XT for many different things and reasons from any genre, application, project or in a teaching capacity.

Think of Impact XT as a means of firing off audio files (one shots, loops, fully extended sample etc) in any possible situation.  Same applies for Sample One XT.  Both of these have had a major overhaul and been updated significantly.

It's OK to want features and certain workflows but now any DAW program's abilities are well capable and well equiped to realise any music idea from that idea to finished sound.  For those who like Studio One, the latest V4 update is awesome and has included some great things.  The whole chord track concept is off to a great start.  It can only improve.  There are some very talented and dedicated people working on the chord track in conjunction with the coders.  The uses for it are huge and wide indeed.  

There are tons of great little things in this upgrade and some other big features added as well.  (Pattern Mode, Drum Editor, AAF Import and Export, Song Data Import etc..)

I am having the fortunate experience of working with the Faderport 8 and Studio One. For those who are interested firstly as a Faderpport 1 owner myself, the FP8 is  into the stratosphere compared to the FP1.  The deep level of integration with Studio One is incredible and once you get into this the whole workflow for you changes big time.  Things are seriously fast compared to keyboard/mouse operations.  The faders allow you to edit mixes and volumes of course but also sends, and all plugin parameters for Presonus and any third party plugin.  Handling sessions of any size is a breeze.  Even if you are remotely thinking of investing into FP8 please make the decision to do it. You will not be disappointed.  It also talks to quite a few other DAW's and implementation into those has also improved.  It gets regular firmware updates with improvements and fixes too.

Having hardware for Studio One is amazing indeed.  Not to mention the amazing Series III Studio Live mixer and how it interacts also with Studio One via Universal Control software too.  Many Presonus audio interfaces are fitted with powerful DSP now and also talk to Universal Control and Studio One at the same time.  FP8/16 in conjunction with a Series III mixer, and their interfaces would also be something too.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2018/05/25 22:22:40

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 02:34:33 (permalink)
Well said Jeff!  I picked up Studio One 3 Pro in December for the Sonar crossgrade offer, after the announcement of Gibson ending Sonar support.  After 20 years of Cakewalk, it was hard to turn down a discount like that for another leading DAW with both strong company and community support for the forseeable future.

I was glad to see BandLab pick up the remains of Cakewalk as a long time user, but I do not regret getting into Studio One. No regrets!

This Studio One v4 update appears to show that they are actually listening to the user feature requests, and while there may be some naysayers regarding this first release, it will be interesting to see what happens with the point releases during the coming years before the next v5 release!

I am impressed that they have listened to their users, as well as seem to have a realistic understanding of where the commercial popular music market is headed.  To me that means that this DAW will be around for years to come! For better or worse, our tools need to support all genres of music and styles of production to remain successful!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 04:15:18 (permalink)
Hopefully they will listen to users who are annoyed that you cannot export patterns to piano roll.  One thing Cakewalk got right was the ability to jump between views.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 04:48:31 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Hopefully they will listen to users who are annoyed that you cannot export patterns to piano roll.  One thing Cakewalk got right was the ability to jump between views.

You can't jump between views, but you can right-click on the Pattern and choose "Convert Pattern to Part."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Jeff Evans
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 08:33:39 (permalink)
Firstly working in pattern mode I think you are meant to stay there and there is certainly no reason why you cannot start and end in pattern mode.  (for certain parts that is) But as Craig says at the end of the process one can convert a pattern into a PRV part.

Another option is to duplicate the track (complete) which creates an identical track with the pattern event/s in pattern view. Then convert the duplicate to a part if you want to then. You will still have the pattern and the PRV part as well. If you really needed both.

This is only the start of pattern mode.  People seem to think it will stop there and never change.   As time goes on they will refine pattern mode I guess.  And possibly give us the option of seeing the data in any view all at once.  But it is very workable right now.  Pattern mode is great for certain genres of music that is for sure. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/05/26 12:55:52 (permalink)

post edited by dj squarewave - 2018/05/29 12:03:14

BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 14:01:58 (permalink)
dj squarewave
 My Impression is that Studio One caught fire by appealing to existing small groupings of active musicians who already had familiarity with the brand via the use of small affordable digital mixers.

The early feature set seemed like an ideal choice for ensembles that were already making music and simply wanted to record their efforts and maybe polish it up a bit in post.

If Presonus continues to develop Studio One to appeal to all the people it has not previously appealed to, and does so at the expense of frustrating its existing users, it will follow a well traveled path that has been shown to result in a dissolution of interest that may ultimately equate to infrequent upgrade purchases. Existing users, regardless of why or when they become users, who are taken for granted, while features designed to attract non users are prioritized, will react with a disinterest in paying for upgrades. 

Groups of musicians do not sit around one computer and play music. Even electronic music groups use a collection of instruments and jam together with their own tools so that they make adjustments on the fly without interrupting each other. Groups of musicians rarely treat one central computer as a central brain where a bunch of effects and virtual instruments are imprisoned.

Live, Reason, and FL Studio have not caved and started catering to the multi track needs of a ensemble of players, and those brands seem to be doing well.

Pro Tools has not caved and become a one man universe for the one man band and it seems to be doing well.

The infamous digital audio workstation that has often been celebrated as the most complete universal feature set known to date has *evolved* into a milk toast freebie, and a few wanna be clones of the Swiss army knife feature set ideology seem like the wonder bread of the music business. 

Studio One entered the market with a tool set that made sense to band mates who did not want to be computer geeks or Pro Tools experts. It made pressing record and getting some great sounding multi tracks as easy as getting a good mix on an existing digi mixer in an existing rehearsal space. It leveraged a skill set that existing ensembles, the musicians that are largely ignored by the the "computer music press", were already familiar and comfortable with. The result was a product that was quickly and widely adopted by the many musicians who exist outside the influence of trend and style.

Presonus's success seems to reflect its recognition of the existence of a very large user group that seems invisible to the cognoscenti of the music marketing industry. Presonus has catered to the needs and interests of these existing musicians despite some parties ivory tower speculations that musicians are some sort of endangered species. The genius of Presonus's business is the realization that, all things considered, musical instruments are more affordable than ever, and more people can afford to purchase and learn to play musical instruments than ever before, in the entire history of the planet. It seems natural to realize that these musicians will enjoy recording their music and will prefer to do so with as little distraction as possible. Studio One has been serving that purpose better than any other product.  

If Presonus stumbles into a dichotomy where new growth undermines retention, Studio One may find itself with less dedicated customers than it has earned to date.

Some good insights there and you used "cognoscenti".
Adding features that are more song writing related may be the way to attract new users without alienating the loyal base. Song writing and beat making tools can be used by anyone.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
BobF
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 14:10:59 (permalink)
I started with SO at V3 and the new V4 features haven't alienated me in the least.  I'm able to use V4 as a more efficient V3, or use the new features if I see them fit for the moment.

Track templates and folders aside (), I'm not missing much that I'm aware of.

Bob  --
--

CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 14:41:03 (permalink)
After reading some post's, here and on other boards, it strikes me how some people have no problem making snap judgments as too whether this is worthy of an Upgrade or Update and so costly that they predict the the downfall and exodus of Presonus from the DAW market...real "Wizards of smart"...without any research or basic knowledge of the DAW, of its User base or the market in general.

Things are pointed to these nattering naybobs like most of these features in version 4 were voted on and called for since version 1. When a pattern feature was requested(quite frequently and often) the standard reply was "it's a young DAW, let it mature and let Presonus add it when it could be implemented in a better way". Of course the reply to that would be "if they don't do it immediately they will loose the EDM people". That was the discussion over the past 7 odd years in a nut shell. They have it now along with all the other bells and whistles in this Upgrade which WILL be updated for another 3-4 years with more great surprises and fixes free and in response to User votes and bug fixing.

How can a record like that be a failure if you know and use the DAW.

Even if what I wrote is wrong there is no denying the hardware integration would always keep the DAW alive.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

BobF
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 16:10:08 (permalink)
CTStump
After reading some post's, here and on other boards, it strikes me how some people have no problem making snap judgments as too whether this is worthy of an Upgrade or Update and so costly that they predict the the downfall and exodus of Presonus from the DAW market...real "Wizards of smart"...without any research or basic knowledge of the DAW, of its User base or the market in general.

Things are pointed to these nattering naybobs like most of these features in version 4 were voted on and called for since version 1. When a pattern feature was requested(quite frequently and often) the standard reply was "it's a young DAW, let it mature and let Presonus add it when it could be implemented in a better way". Of course the reply to that would be "if they don't do it immediately they will loose the EDM people". That was the discussion over the past 7 odd years in a nut shell. They have it now along with all the other bells and whistles in this Upgrade which WILL be updated for another 3-4 years with more great surprises and fixes free and in response to User votes and bug fixing.

How can a record like that be a failure if you know and use the DAW.

Even if what I wrote is wrong there is no denying the hardware integration would always keep the DAW alive.

I understand why this happens here.  This is a Cakewalk/BandLab forum and Studio One is a competitor.

Hopefully over time, as users that have recently switched age with their new DAW of choice, discussions about these DAWs will migrate to the DAW vendor forums or others like BMD.  At BMD there is no inherent DAW affiliation.  Discussion about ANY DAW -including CxB- are welcome and civil.  I'm sure there are others, but BMD members are mostly prior/current Cake users, so there is familiar territory common to most.

Bob  --
--

TheMaartian
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 17:58:13 (permalink)
Brando
TheMaartian
If for no other reason than the improvement in speed (v4 feels FAST compared to v3.5), upgrading was worth it.

I bought the S4 update when it was first available but it's sitting in my Presonus account. That's very encouraging though, but 3.5 is so efficient anyway. Did you have any of the license/activation issues John?

I tend to buy major updates directly from the vendor. Cost me an extra 20 bucks or so, but I had no trouble...unless you consider the v3.5 license disappearing trouble. v4 used my v3 license code. A new license for v3.5 was placed in my account, but it will sit there unused, just like the Notion 5 and SO2 licenses. 

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
TheMaartian
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 18:01:20 (permalink)
Genghis
dubdisciple

Oh cool.  I must not get their emails, but if they have an update for the keyboard I'll check it out when I get moved into the bigger place.

No update for Panorama users. My next keyboard/controller will DEFINITELY NOT be a Nektar. I'm hoping v2 of NI's S88 is released by the time I've got a spare $1K.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
Jeff Evans
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 21:12:22 (permalink)
I find the point dj squarewave brought up very interesting about can a group musicians communicate with a DAW at once and it would have to be something with a computer involved. I had not thought about it.

As someone who has come from the total hardware era of synthesis and also having jammed with others in a Tangerine Dream situation I can say that was how we did it then.  We had three of four sets of hardware synths. Clock signals were distributed around though in case anyone wanted to lock to them for example.  I am keen to start a live electronic music ensemble.  I have been wondering if the three separate gear setups would be best this idea of making everyone talking to one larger setup might be cool.

I think a powerful computer running a DAW would work.  Each player would have separate controllers. (possibly all the same) The DAW would have to accept incoming midi data from multiple sources at once.  Its easy to merge midi data or use an interface with 8 separate midi input ports. 

Multiple virtual synths could be setup on tracks and each player maybe have access to 3 or 4 or any number. Hardware synths could also be connected and certain tracks could be routed to them. Each player would need a remote control setup (iPad) and the Studio One remote app (which has just been updated now includes V4 compatibility, new features and bugs fixed) is ideal.  Although a deeper version of it might be useful.

It would be interesting to know how Kraftwerk run their setup live now. They all have laptops in front of them.. But what is each one doing. Maybe they are all just setup for virtual instruments. 

Jeff Evans
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 21:17:54 (permalink)
It is easy to speculate about Presonus but what actually goes on is very different.  Studio One rarely looses someone who has either shifted to it or started fresh with it.  EDM users are not lost either.  EDM users may delay getting into it more likely.  As new features are added they start to attract a different range of users. The chord track being a good example.  It can be used by seasoned players with strong music harmony knowledge already but also people who know nothing about music and chords.  And everyone in between.  It's gapless performance too will attract a different range of players and needs. 

The whole idea also of Presonus hardware and their software being so integrated is also unique to them.  No one else is really doing it.  They have an amazing roadmap planned for all that area of development.  The way the Series III Studio Live mixer and Faderport interact with Studio One is a fine example.  How Capture and Universal Control and all their interfaces having nice DSP built in and being controlled by it all.  You don't have to use their eco system.  But if and when you decide to, then it is all there to be had and used. 

The way the music industry operates now is completely different.  And also what is different are the groups of people who are getting involved in it.  These are two very important points.  Presonus actually know this and working with it.  If you don't you will fail.  If you are onto this, then success is there to be had.  There are some drawbacks too in how things are sold these days.  On line.  People now don't know how to use the stuff they have just bought and opened.  There is a whole market in education and training booming now.  It is becoming super important. 

Older musicians and people who started in the industry around late 70's 80's etc can make the mistake of not even seeing this and thinking the only way is how things worked back then.  You can move forward with it or stay with how you did things and the type of music being made back then and that is all good too.  DAW's need to not service just one group of people.  They need to be smart and cater for a wider range of people.  Existing users need to embrace the changes within their DAW of choice.  DAW's are getting more complex all the time, and the concept of not reading the manual and fiddling around is gone!  This is the age of the manual. 

Cakewalk in an interesting position now it seems.  What Bandlab should do now is inject some new code and ideas into an already existing product.  Keep what's there but add some new, fresh and exciting aspects to the program. Remember you don't have to use it! Tap into new and fresh markets.  They also need to maintain and improve existing features at the same time though to keep the loyal original fan base happy.  The potential to attract new users and thrive is also a possibility for them too.  I am sure there are some clever people involved there too.

There is not a finite number of users.  They are limitless and growing!  The universe is very large and provides. 

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 22:22:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2018/05/26 22:38:19
Anyone who can't make the music they want to make with any DAW that's on the market needs to stop blaming the DAW and realize the problem is with them. Sure, one DAW might make their particular workflow a little faster. Whoop de do. People made music with Notator and Master Tracks Pro...because they were musicians. Their world was about making music, not whining about perceived deal-breaking features or the lack thereof.

In the process of adding tools to appeal to more users, DAWs don't eliminate existing tools. When Sonar added a Matrix view, they didn't take anything away. People could ignore the Matrix View if they wanted to. Or they could use it whatever way they liked. Or in my case, they didn't have to hassle with rewiring Live into Sonar every time they wanted an efficient loop triggering environment. 

To me, partitioning off a program into "this part is for rock people" and "this part is for EDM people" and "this part is for songwriters" is absurd. You can use step sequencers to create excellent hand percussion and tambourine parts to accompany rock drum tracks. You can write songs with Matrix View.

Creative people will welcome new tools, find creative uses for them, and won't care what labels others put on those tools.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 23:25:52 (permalink)
I still have too admit, I work alot faster in Studio One version 2.6. After dabbling with Cakewalk by Bandlab for a month now it really is a great DAW but for a couple of blue screen crashs which may be due to video card conflicts caused by possible skylight conflicts or my OS not up to snuff. I have to remember to save as autosave is turned off as is my preference. Now that I know that I try to remember. With Studio One as old as it is still works almost flawless thus I finish more work in it these days.

I may Upgrade myself at version SO 4.1 during a sale but maybe after I update my nvidia drivers, upgrade the OS, upgrade my system and or Cakewalk stops crashing(enough to not break workflow), I may not at all. I really want too like CbB, it has all I need and it is far easier on my old eyeballs.
post edited by CTStump - 2018/05/26 23:51:33

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1