Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2011/07/01 18:52:57 (permalink)

Subwoofer PLacement ?

Hi all

I just bought a KRK 10s to go with my two Rokit 8s
has the sub to be directly between the two monitors above or could I get away with putting it just slightly to the right or left just below one of the monitors or would this run in to problems ?

The reason I ask Is I don't have a lot of leg Space below my desk and I am worried about kicking the sub

Thanks for all info

Regards

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

23 Replies Related Threads

sharpdion23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 784
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/01 19:34:47 (permalink)
    I used to have very little leg room and couldn't put the sub below so what I did is I bought a new desk with a lot of leg room and put my sub down there.  Kicking the sub once or twice wouldn't damage the sub (at least you can't hear the difference or unless it's a cheap sub). Just make sure to keep your foot away from the sub  

People have different spots where they put theirs to their liking.

Here is a thread with the same subject as yours: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=378626
    post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/07/01 19:40:35

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

Link to upload Screens: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1592276

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Zuma
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/01 19:34:55 (permalink)
    Hi Norrie. I was always told the worst place to put a sub was in the middle of the room. Conversely I was told it's actually better to have it set up in the corner of the room or the side up against the wall... but that is from a home theater perspective and that's gonna obviously exagerate the bass for studio applications. Proper placement still remains ambiguous to me but I do know placement is not as critical as your monitors, as it fills the room rather than being directional. So, I don't think you need to have it in between your monitors under the desk.

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/01 21:43:00 (permalink)
    The sub does not have to be centered between your main speakers as long as the crossover frequency is below 80Hz.

The ideal location is something you'll have to determine by trial and error - and measurement. Just avoid putting it in a corner or very close to a wall. Beyond that, every room and every sub is different.

BTW, the best book I've ever read on this subject is "Sound Reproduction" by Dr. Floyd Toole. Of all the books in my library, none has been more thought-provoking. I have read it three times, picking up something new each time, and I still refer to it often. Highly recommended for any serious student of sound.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/01 21:46:08 (permalink)
    Zuma, you're absolutely right - that advice is specifically for home theaters, where lots of bass is the goal, without regard for accuracy or fidelity. Nobody cares if a movie explosion has too much 60Hz in it, only that it rattles the windows. Our requirements are a bit more exacting.

My Stuff
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/01 22:07:35 (permalink)
    Put it where you want, and listen to a series of mono, low frequency sine waves (below and a bit above the cutoff frequency) and see if they sound off center.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/02 04:09:07 (permalink)
    Excellent thread!  Hope I'm not hijacking this, so I'll share slight off-topic stuff.

There is a lot of pros and cons going thru my mind about getting a sub in my small room (8' ceilings haha!)

Fortunately I have ARC system going on, and Ethan Winer hopefully won't be required to sell a bass trap my way (ever) ... with or without a sub.  (I gave up on Ethan's Portable Vocal Booth, due to its mammoth size.)

The wavelength of ultra lows is quite long (several yards, IIRC) ... so it may be difficult to pin-point a great area by ear, and I doubt 2 subs is better than one, especially in a small room (in my car it's ridiculous)

Interesting, in my car I can hear it 'back there' in the trunk (but it bleeds some 100Hz freqs and other distortions.)  If when I get a sub, I'll probably put it near my left speaker behind the computer monitor (haha!) ... where it will at least be with my other speakers at ear level +/-.  I hope this isn't way off for a home studio.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    bitflipper
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/02 10:02:25 (permalink)
    Low frequencies are pretty much omnidirectional below 300Hz. Studies by Dr. Toole showed that the threshold at which we can detect directionality is around 80-90Hz. What this means is that your subwoofer will fill the room with sound regardless of where you put it, even if it's behind you or off to one side.

The biggest problem is that the long wavelengths (relative to your room's dimensions) guarantee that the sound will not and cannot be uniform. The sound waves bounce off the walls and meet themselves, sometimes colliding when both the original and the reflection are in phase (constructive interference) and sometimes when out of phase (destructive interference). Consequently, the sound pressure levels at various points in space vary radically.

You can easily demonstrate this effect by playing a low-frequency sine wave through your sub while you walk around the room. You will clearly hear the volume go up and down as you move about, sometimes almost disappearing altogether. It's not unusual to have a 20, 30 or even 40db variance! Obviously, this is very bad for making mix decisions, which require an honest frequency response from your speakers.

To a limited extent, you can partially compensate for this effect through "room EQ" or "room compensation". If a particular frequency is in constructive interference mode at the mix position, you can turn that frequency down. Of course, doing so will also turn that frequency down in other parts of the room where it's in destructive mode, exacerbating the problem at those other places.

And any frequency that's in destructive mode at the mix position cannot be fixed through EQ at all because turning that frequency up also increases the amplitude of its reflections. You could crank it up to lethal levels and there would still be a null wherever that frequency meets an inverted version of itself.

To a limited extent, you can partially compensate with bass traps. The idea is to absorb the bass energy so it doesn't bounce around and cause interference. Unfortunately, this just isn't practical in a small room because the trap itself would have to be five feet thick. Tuned resonators can target specific frequencies but they are expensive and you have to really know what you're doing.

Reality: in small rooms, low bass will always be a problem. It's why some folks argue against having a subwoofer at all and defer to a separate mastering facility to figure out their low-end mix EQ. Other things you can do to mitigate it: use headphones, listen to mixes in the car, or employ visual aids like SPAN and Har-Bal.

So the unfortunate answer to the original question is that all you can do is place the sub somewhere where it won't be quite as bad. It's going to be bad no matter what you do.

My Stuff
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/02 18:43:44 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for all the tips and advice :)

I will let you all know how I get on when it arrives on Monday :D

Thanks to all

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/03 10:04:44 (permalink)
    In my studio, which, BTW, is not an acoustically treated room. Basically I put my speakers where I had room for them. And one of them is even inside of a cabinet of sorts. (you can see it in my pics on the web site...MC4 page) I know that's not supposed to be.... but you gotta do what you gotta do.

So I added a 10" sub some time back and was faced with the same problem. Where to put it?  So I opted for the floor, behind me. It now serves as the stand for my boogie amp as well.  It sets along the wall, firing about 2' to a cabinet, along the wall, with much open space behind it. The stairway opening is behind it and there are open railings around the stairwell.  ((This got me to thinking, and maybe I'll experiment a bit and turn it 90 degrees and fire it into the room and see how well that works. ))

It works well in that position. I do notice that when I slide back about 2 feet and towards it, mostly when I'm working with someone else in the studio, the bass from the sub is overwhelmingly strong. So, my assumption is that I have entered the point where some standing waves are peaking. Moving just a few feet (2') takes me out of that peak point.

So.... if you are limited in the places and space you have to place the sub, just place it where you can. then play back some music that you know and make the adjustments to the sub's level.

I have heard others say put the sub where you will sit, and then move around the room, near the floor, to find the sweet spot.  I didn't use that method, but the sub does seem to be in a sweet spot where I put it. I have made some adjustments to the crossover and to the level so that it sounds right to me when I'm setting in the chair mixing.

Nothing here is done scientifically, and I'm imagining that some of you are pulling your hair out at my explanation or shaking your heads sadly......

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/03 11:31:21 (permalink)
    I had to do essentially the same thing, Herb. There just weren't that many places where the sub would fit and not be an obstacle.

Fortunately, I was able to find a spot where, like you say, it sounded OK in the mix chair. But nowhere else in the room. It will always be a compromise in any small room.

I've had it sitting in the same spot for over 3 years now. I've analyzed the room to death so I know exactly where my problem frequencies are.

But more importantly I've been listening to it day after day, unconsciously training my ears to discern what good bass sounds like in this imperfect arrangement. By now my brain just automatically filters out the effect of my 143Hz mode and I am no longer tempted to correct it with EQ.

There is a lot to be said for simply training your ears to the room. This is why I tell people that single best thing you can do - and it costs nothing - is to sit and listen to well-made records on your reference monitors.

My Stuff
    Fearful Symmetry
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/03 13:22:12 (permalink)
    Put your sub at ear-hight at the listening position. Pay a sweep through your system and crawl about the floor at sub-height listening for where you hear the greatest "clarity" and definition. Place the sub at this position.

Rough and ready, but it can work.
    FS

Romani Ite Domum!
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/03 22:16:19 (permalink)
    FS and (especially) Bit,

Thanks for your most-excellent knowledge.  I suppose the day probably won't come for most of us ... when our ceilings will be 'high enough' and our rooms large enough.

Some take home points I'm getting:

1) Its do-able in small rooms with low ceilings, though quite imperfect (per FS and Bit and G-Hacker)

2) It may require pro-sweet-records to help guide the ears (per Bit).

3) Cans may help cross-judge ... perhaps these may be disgarded at some point.

4) A sub is sweet to have, but not trustworthy-perfect in a small room ("bad" per Bit) ... due to outlandish wavelengths and distortion

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    bitflipper
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/03 22:19:18 (permalink)
    Put your sub at ear-hight at the listening position. Pay a sweep through your system and crawl about the floor at sub-height listening for where you hear the greatest "clarity" and definition. Place the sub at this position.

I gave that exact same advice for years and even used that technique myself. I had to stop suggesting it when I later discovered that it doesn't always work. (Or to be more precise, it only works reliably in rooms that have no walls. Which is to say it's unreliable in any normal room.)

I still think it's worth a try. Just don't become conflabergrated when the sub doesn't sound the same after swapping the chair position for the ear-at-the-floor position.

My Stuff
    Fearful Symmetry
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/03 22:42:25 (permalink)
    Yeah. I do have a stack of traps round the walls, corners, ceiling and I guess that helps things a good deal. However I still have an fascinating variety of nodes, modes, troughs and pitfalls. I just don't know a better method of finding a position for a sub - without getting the "man" in. (Then he's he's gonna tell you it's all bollocks anyway and that you might as well give up! :-)

But,I'd probably advise folk with no treatment to avoid subs anyway as it's probably only going to make things worse. Tricky things subs.
    FS

Romani Ite Domum!
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/04 11:18:45 (permalink)
    Fearful Symmetry

But,I'd probably advise folk with no treatment to avoid subs anyway as it's probably only going to make things worse. Tricky things subs.
    FS

Not necessarily. I have an untreated room. It just takes a careful ear to get it as close as one can.

Unless you have a dedicated space, that can be built to spec, most of us must deal with what space we have.  Our mission is to make that limited, untreated space, which often does double duty, as good sounding as we can so the product we produce in it is as good as is feasibly possible.

Listen to the songs in the songs forum. Knowing that many are operating in less than optimal sounding spaces, is a testament to the ability to adapt and overcome those limitations.

My sub is mostly for me....ear candy so to speak. Although it also helps me to hear what's happening near the bottom of the mix quite well.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    sharpdion23
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/04 14:45:02 (permalink)
    You can easily demonstrate this effect by playing a low-frequency sine wave through your sub while you walk around the room. You will clearly hear the volume go up and down as you move about, sometimes almost disappearing altogether. It's not unusual to have a 20, 30 or even 40db variance! Obviously, this is very bad for making mix decisions, which require an honest frequency response from your speakers.
    bitflipper

I actually have this problem where when I move my head a bit to the left right up or down, sometimes it's like somone muted my right speaker or left speaker depending on where I position my head. Though it's not a sub issue but with my MA-15D Monitor Speakers. This is what I was going to use for mixing too!

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

bitflipper
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/04 15:33:02 (permalink)
    Yeh, that's not very reassuring, is it...knowing that every time you sit down you may hear the mix differently.

Reference monitors are directional by design, because they're meant to be listened to in one spot only, and designing a speaker for wide dispersion necessitates some sonic compromises. Consequently, many nearfields exhibit a very narrow "sweet spot".

My ADAMs definitely suffer from this. The high end drops off dramatically if you're not sitting directly in front of them. But it's a tradeoff I accept because the speakers are otherwise very accurate. Mackie, OTOH, proudly advertises a super-wide sweet spot, but mixers complain the Mackies sound too much like hi-fi speakers and don't translate well. Always a tradeoff.

I believe those MA-15Ds are meant to be used at close distance, closer even than the standard 3' rule of thumb. You may find that they work better at 2'. When I listened to them I remember having to get really close. They are severely underpowered, for one thing.

My Stuff
    sharpdion23
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/04 15:45:53 (permalink)
    Dave, you talking like that makes me want to research more about my speakers! ;p

Anyway right now I have my speakers about 3-4 feet away from each other at ear level and both facing forward. What do you think it should be? I think I agree with it closer the sweeter. So My plan is to bring them a foot closer to each other and face the speakers toward where I am sitting (in between the two speakers and not facing the back of the room). Do you think this will be ok for mixing?

D.J. ESPO
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/05 11:25:07 (permalink)
    you , of course ; need to spend some more $$$ on this !!!

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/pages/Smaart_Landing_Page

Not to hijack ( well , sort of !)

But does the book flipper mentioned say any thing about speakers that use ports to extend the bass reproduction lower ?? I have been reading Mike Seniors new book , and he seems to think life for use pro-sumers  without a killer treated room would be eaisier if we stay away from ported monitors AND subs!!
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/05 12:30:26 (permalink)
    I suppose I should remind everyone that the listener's environment is likely to be untreated, haphazard and much, much worse than your studio. So even if you had "perfect" low frequency response in your studio...

So the moral is: don't go crazy EQing the bass to get it "perfect" Just make sure you don't have stuff stepping on each other, or unwanted sub-sonics.

Unless your low frequencies are always the exact same frequency, you should know if you have "too much" or "too little" by comparing to known good recordings (as Dave already recommended), or just moving around the room.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    bitflipper
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/05 15:24:11 (permalink)
    My plan is to bring them a foot closer to each other and face the speakers toward where I am sitting (in between the two speakers and not facing the back of the room). Do you think this will be ok for mixing?

Yes, I do. With caveats.

You are going to have difficulty with bass, that's a given, and only partly because your speakers are bass-shy. Even if you add a subwoofer or upgrade your speakers, you'll still be working in a small room. Even if you add acoustical treatments, you'll still be working in a small room. No matter what you do, you'll always be fighting small-room acoustics.

That's the bad news. The good news is that despite popular obsession with bass, it's not the most important aspect of your mix. It's really all about the midrange. Many mixers use midrangey speakers such as Auratones specifically to avoid the distractions of the spectral extremes and concentrate on the all-important mids. So yes, those speakers will serve you well for mixing - mostly.

Make use of visual aids such as SPAN to help out with the low end. SPAN can't tell you what sounds good, but it can tell you if you're in the ballpark. Just as it's important to spend time listening to well-made records on your speakers to train your ears, it's also very helpful to observe well-made records on a spectral analyzer to train your eyes.

My Stuff
    sharpdion23
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/05 15:56:36 (permalink)

You are going to have difficulty with bass, that's a given, and only partly because your speakers are bass-shy.

Is there something I'm missing here because look at this thread (Post #8): http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2314361

How do you have your speakers setup Dave?

post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/07/05 15:58:03

bitflipper
    Re:Subwoofer PLacement ? 2011/07/05 21:35:47 (permalink)
    My main speakers are in the conventional equilateral triangle, positioned on stands slightly over 3 feet away from my ears. A subwoofer sits on the floor. Very conventional.

How far back you place the speakers to some extent depends on the size of the woofers and the size of the cabinet. You might place 6.5" woofers 2.5' to 3' away, 8" woofers 3' to 4' away, 10" woofers 4' to 6' away. (No, those aren't guidelines, just examples.) The minimum distance is largely dictated by the spacing between the woofer and tweeter. The farther apart they are the greater the minimum distance. Another factor is the minimum distance you can put between the two speakers without interference by your video monitors. If you have dual displays that will probably be the deciding factor.

My woofers are 7.25". Experimentation has shown that I don't want them closer than 2' but less than 4'. I have two 20" video monitors, about 36" combined from edge to edge, so my speakers must be no less than about 38" apart. This is why I specifically chose 20" monitors over something larger.

Regarding the link to post #8...Seth makes a curious statement about "bass buildup". Curious because the term usually applies to acoustical interaction between the speaker and adjacent boundaries, not to a characteristic of the speaker itself. Seth's a very knowledgable guy, so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about and perhaps just chose some ambiguous words.

Now, the MA-15D does have an unusual feature, and this may have been what Seth was alluding to, and that is the so-called "bass enhancer" circuit.

The MA-15D's woofer is only 4" and the enclosure is compact, so there is a definite limit to how low it can go - a limit that's dictated by physics, not clever engineering. Roland is curiously coy about just what the frequency response is, but I'm guessing it's only flat to around 80Hz.

The "bass enhancer" is described by various sources as a harmonic distortion module. Distorting the bass is a standard trick to make it sound deeper and louder than it really is. I do it myself with Ozone's harmonic exciter. But IMO it has no place in a speaker system the manufacturer describes as an accurate reference monitor.  Be sure to switch it OFF, even if it sounds better enabled.

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1