Sunrise on the Caribbean

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
2012/01/09 15:27:42 (permalink)

Sunrise on the Caribbean

Many of you know I was able to visit Cancun last October.  I was so taken by the gorgeous water and just getting to be on the beach again, I had to write something about it.  This is the best I could do at the time.  Maybe more will follow. Although I may need another vacation down there to inspire me.  :)  Anyway, Rik graciously added more of his gorgeous, tasty guitar work, although it got kinda buried with all my orchestration.  Sorry, Rik!  :(

What really blows me away, though, is that I simply wrote Jonas Aras if he would mind looking at what I'd done to see if there were things he could help me with to help me learn to orchestrate better.  Well, he more than gave me a few tips.  He spent countless hours reworking it, adding a few cool embellishments, listening to me fuss about the minutest things that no one else would ever hear, remixing it and producing it.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the new staff view to see the changes he made and hopefully learn from them.  So, Jonas, thank you again for going WAY beyond the call of duty.  I'm humbled and deeply appreciative of your help.  

Edit:  I was able to get the .cwb file from Jonas so I worked on it for hours, putting the new parts in that he wrote...changing a few things that I preferred, and changed some of the piano parts that drove me crazy after I listened to them too many times.  I think this is close to the mix he did.  As close as I can get it now anyway.  

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=789731&songID=11209404

post edited by Janet - 2012/01/25 20:00:58

72 Replies Related Threads

Purple Rhapsody
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 16:10:48 (permalink)
    The tune is great and the chords together with the melody really show a sense of joy and happiness.

On my laptop speakers the orchestra was sounding a bit lacking in bass frequencies and in some places the string runs did sound virtual rather than real (sorry Jonas!).

I'll listen to it on my proper setup later.

Anyway, fantastic piece of music - great composition and choice of chords, and I really enjoyed it!

Cheers,
    Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 16:16:29 (permalink)
    Very nice song, Janet.  I've been to Cancun, and I know how inspirational it can be.  I was expecting some island music, but this caught me off guard; it is majestic and sweeping.  I agree that the strings sound virtual, but you work with what you have, and if ever in the future you get the chance to upgrade the orchestra you'll be ready.  May your muse inspire you forever.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Janet
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 16:25:06 (permalink)
    Thank you, Terry.  And to Lynn too...I wanted to try to capture the sense of the waves, but I'm afraid this didn't do that really.  But if it portrayed joy and happiness, "majestic and sweeping," then yeah, I guess that pretty much explains what the Caribbean does for me.  I should stare at some pictures and see if I can really capture the waves, etc.  But I could probably write music about it for years if I really tried.  :)  Thank you both! 
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 16:45:49 (permalink)
    Hey Janet, nice work but I can here two themes/melodies going on here that I can pick from other songs, one is Go West and the other is Kokomo.  I know, sorry but if you listen carefully you can hear def hear and hum those two tracks in places.  Perhaps it's a subconscious thing.

Do you know what orchestral instrument is being used, the cello at the end sounded nice.

Good job.

Ben
    post edited by BenMMusTech - 2012/01/09 16:47:23

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 17:14:08 (permalink)
    Janet,

Really fine work as usual, and very nice contributions by Jonas and Rik.   The song, playing, orchestrations are all top notch.  Quite a majestic and inspirational song.

Unfortunately, if I listen closely enough, I can pick out the Heckle and Jeckle Theme song about halfway though  Wait, nevermind, that is coming from the other room;)
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 17:23:51 (permalink)
    I was looking forward to hearing this, but the link keeps taking me to someone playing greensleeves ;)
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 17:32:16 (permalink)
    It wasn't one of "those..." beaches was it? 

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 18:45:18 (permalink)
    Wow, Janet, this piece was mind-boglingly good.  The orchestration was superb, and perfectly complimented your exquisite playing.  You go girl!
    Janet
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 19:06:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Ben!  I'll have to look up those songs to see what you're talking about.  I'm not surprised if it's similar to something.  Maybe Jonas will pipe in about the instruments.   He used his VST's.  

Thanks so much, Mark!  Heckle & Jeckle?  Another one to look up.  :) 

Paulo...sorry.  Not sure what's happening there.  

Thanks so much for stopping by, Robby. 

Philz--mind-boggingly good?  Really?  Well thank you!  :)  
    bandontherun19
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 19:23:33 (permalink)
    What? I was going to say One of "those" beaches where the rent ocean kayaks? What did you think I meant? I did enjoy the piece? But I would like it better w/out the guitar, it didn't seems to fit in several places IMO :-( But you did a great job.

----------
    jsaras
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 20:27:10 (permalink)
    Hi all,

I worked on this piece during my spare time over the last several weeks.  It was fun to finally do a collaboration with Janet.

I used the full version of LA Scoring Strings, which about as "upgraded" as it gets for now.  In spite of the legato samples, the string run in that one measure didn't 100% sell me either.  I tried to emphasize the other instruments a bit more at that point, but at the end of the day, it is a mock-up.  LASS 2.0 will be out shortly and it looks like there will be more control over several aspects of the sound.  
    The woodwinds are just simple GPO.  I need to pony up and spring for VSL woodwinds.  This is the weakest spot of my sample library at the moment.  

The solo French horn and French horn ensemble are Cinebrass.  

The piano is the PianoTeq physically modeled piano. 

I used at three or four instances of ValhallaRoom reverb and UAD plugins were abused throughout.

Happy New Year!
    Jonas

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 21:09:28 (permalink)
    Absolutely beautiful, Janet!  I love it!  Your musical abilities never cease to amaze me...   Now I need to head to the Cancun and listen to this song to get the full effect!

Hats off to Rik and Jonas for their parts.  Great job everyone!

Oh and I do hear a hint of the Greensleeves melody in here that paulo pointed out.

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

BenMMusTech
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 21:23:17 (permalink)
    jsaras

Hi all,

I worked on this piece during my spare time over the last several weeks.  It was fun to finally do a collaboration with Janet.

I used the full version of LA Scoring Strings, which about as "upgraded" as it gets for now.  In spite of the legato samples, the string run in that one measure didn't 100% sell me either.  I tried to emphasize the other instruments a bit more at that point, but at the end of the day, it is a mock-up.  LASS 2.0 will be out shortly and it looks like there will be more control over several aspects of the sound.  
    The woodwinds are just simple GPO.  I need to pony up and spring for VSL woodwinds.  This is the weakest spot of my sample library at the moment.  

The solo French horn and French horn ensemble are Cinebrass.  

The piano is the PianoTeq physically modeled piano. 

I used at three or four instances of ValhallaRoom reverb and UAD plugins were abused throughout.

Happy New Year!
    Jonas

Hey Jonas, you should really try Notion 3, brought it a few weeks ago and am loveing the strings that are included with the software and it does rewire fairly well with Sonar.  The only problem is the program is 44k only but I throughly recomend it.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    bandontherun19
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 21:25:44 (permalink)
    " Oh and I do hear a hint of the Greensleeves melody in here that paulo pointed out." 

I got Pachelbel? 

----------
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 21:40:08 (permalink)
    Janet,

I love your playing. I hope you know that.

The guitar is lovely and the orchestration is wonderful too.

But I have to say this. The piano sounds just too harsh compared to everything else. There is some kind of rattling going on when the piano is playing. I'm listening on my audiophile headphones (Senheiser HD-600) which are perfect for this kind of music but something is just not right in the mix. If it's MIDI may do a 15% reduction in velocities across the board?

The piece is lovely though.
    Janet
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 21:47:52 (permalink)
    Jonas...YOU'RE glad you finally got to collab with ME?  I'm just honored you were willing!  :)  

Paulo...Cancun's definitely worth it.  Especially in the off-season...I could tell by all the beach chairs sitting around that those beaches can really be packed!  Greensleeves? Sheesh...I'm not very creative, am I?  lol  Anyway, thanks so much. 

Thank you, Ed.  You know what...after I've listened to this several times over the last few weeks, I'm sick of my playing and would go back and much of it differently now.   But there's no way I'd spring that on Jonas now!  lol  As for the velocities, I always lower them significantly before I finish a song. As I've said before, maybe I really do play that hard on a real piano.  I hope not, but it sure sounds bad on a keyboard with a VST.  So I just lower them automatically.  So I'm not surprised if these need to be lowered more. 
    jsaras
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 22:56:44 (permalink)
    Hi Bapu,

Good catch on the distortion on the piano.  Something strange happened using the fast render option.  I've re-exported it and hopefully that issue is resolved.  

I would in no way characterize the tone of the piano as harsh.  I put an extra layer of "chocolate" on it to keep it warm sounding, but with a little sparkle.  Some people have an aversion to the PianoTeq sound.  I really like it because the notes interact with each other with a motion/animation that I've not heard with any sampled piano.  If enough people hate it, I'll switch it to Ivory ;-D.

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    bandontherun19
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/09 23:03:09 (permalink)
    " If it's MIDI may do a 15% reduction in velocities across the board? "

Janet beats her keyboard like a redneck wife in a trailer park... Don't get me wrong? She is a great keyboard player? I tell her that all the time, but I've seen the .mid files... "That poor keyboard..." :-( The woman has a handshake? I'll put money on it...

----------
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 00:12:12 (permalink)
    This is a really nice bit of work.

I've been to Cancun but my trip was short as hurricane Mitch chased my wife and I out of the nice warm weather to the cool chilly autumn of Freeport Maine. Talk about contrast. TBH, the only thing I miss about Cancun is Cuban cigars. Anything else, you might as well suck on a tailpipe.

Great work. I look forward to more tweaks on the mix.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 03:32:30 (permalink)
    This is a big production Janet! I think the orchestration is really excellent. A very evocative piece. I did hear a bit of 'Go West' in there too (check out the first few bars of this; http://www.youtube.com/wa...BjMRvOB5M&ob=av3n) but I think that song owes a lot to Pachelbel anyway!

Nice work.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 07:18:15 (permalink)
    wonderful work Janet and Jonas!!!  this is simply beautiful!

forgive me but I didn't read the previous posts.  but about 1/2 way thru the piece (there are no time markers or I'd tell you where) there's a buzzing noise from something.

the only other crit I have is that the piano gets buried in the mix when the orchestra swells up and is really only heard during the beginning and the end when the orchestra is not louder than the piano.  I understand the piano is only part of the orchestra, but it seems that it is the "showpiece" since it starts the scene, but then gets buried not far into it.   well, and the piano is not as smooth sounding as Janet's piano sounds usually are.

the piece is very nice, tho, it conveyed the Caribbean Sunrise perfectly and had such a great soundscape and it's obvious that a lot of work went into this!  BRAVO!
    post edited by Beagle - 2012/01/10 07:20:09

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 07:34:56 (permalink)
    You can always tell outstanding orchestration when it balances perfectly with the theme and embellishes rather than overpowers. This is an excellent example. The theme is lovely and wonderfully conjures the majesty and emotion of the Caribbean Sunrise (I have seen quite a few but that is a long story!). The orchestration is a masterpiece of musical understanding and creativity. And Rik's contribution is as always exquisite. As you might have guessed, I love this piece!

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Janet
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 08:12:50 (permalink)
    Guitarpima:  So your 'song' about Cancun would be quite different I imagine? :)  Sorry your trip was cut short.  :(

Thank you, James.  I did watch Go West and don't hear the comparision, but I guess all music leads to other music anyway.  

Thank you Reece.  For once I didn't complain about the piano getting buried cause I can hear it fine. :) I'm curious to know what others think. (If others have the same problem, then that's an issue, cause the piano is a dominant part of the arrangement)  Glad you like it overall.  :) 

Thanks so much, Malcolm. So glad you like it.  :)  If it shows any musical understanding it's most likely because Jonas doctored it up quite a bit.  But it was sure fun to try new things.  (I used the instruments much differently on this one than I have before, having them come in and out more frequently for interest's sake...I like the effect.  I have no idea if it's 'right' or not, but I'm trying to learn.) :)
    post edited by Janet - 2012/01/10 08:23:52
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 09:26:04 (permalink)
    Those orchestrations really put this one over the top. Quite beautiful. I might remix this with a little more space, so it sounds more like a performance than a recording.

And one tiny nit: Cancun is technically in the Gulf Of Mexico, not the Caribbean. And I have only seen the sunrise through drunken goggles!
    Janet
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 09:30:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim.  It's the Gulf of Mexico?  Well, the person who said it was the Caribbean was probably drunk too.  lol  And I guess I haven't looked at a map... Oh well. 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 10:02:29 (permalink)
    Very pretty music.   +1 on making the orchestration a tad more subtle.  I'm wishing i was on that beach.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    jsaras
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 10:36:19 (permalink)
    The "buzzing noise" is a bass clarinet!  

There are MANY ways to mix an orchestral piece, even if it's a live orchestra.  

As far as burying the piano, the piano was playing accompaniment-oriented figures and the orchestra had the melody. So when the orchestration got thicker/louder to carry the melody, I chose to let the piano get swallowed up a bit, which is what would happen in a hall.  

Also, for me, most mixes should have a "front" and a "back" and this is especially true for orchestral pieces.  In a legit orchestral setup, the piano is often in the back with the percussion section.  But again, there's many ways this could have been baked.
    Beagle

forgive me but I didn't read the previous posts.  but about 1/2 way thru the piece (there are no time markers or I'd tell you where) there's a buzzing noise from something.

the only other crit I have is that the piano gets buried in the mix when the orchestra swells up 

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 11:06:17 (permalink)
    I just gave my opinion.  you don't have to defend yourself to me, I'm not an orchestral expert by any means.  if it's done that way on purpose then that's up to you.

regarding the buzzing, tho, I *did* think the buzzing started when I heard woodwinds come in, but the buzzing sounded very unnatural to me.  it did not sound like a natural bass clairnet.

again - I'm not an expert.  it's just my opinion from what I hear.
    post edited by Beagle - 2012/01/10 11:08:54

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Sunrise on the Caribbean 2012/01/10 13:22:05 (permalink)
    Hi Janet,

I'm not sure rubbing our noses in the fact that you get to vacation in Cancun is the best way to gain fans.

However, since this is an extraordinarily beautiful piece of music made even better by the contributions of A-Team members Ric and Jonas I guess I'll just have to get over it.

Excellent composing, playing, orchestrating and mixing by all involved.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1