Helpful ReplySyncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/16 06:59:07 (permalink)
Start/stop is not the issue here. It doesn't actually sync to midi clock as I speed up/slow down the external clock. And sonar's tempo display never changes. I worked with a forum member ( FBB) on trying to resolve this, and I am absolutely sure that he has it working more or less correctly. (He could not get sonar's tempo to display correctly but could hear sonar change tempo.). We confirmed my settings were in line with his setup. I can only conclude from this that sonar's midi sync is sensitive to the type of signal it is receiving when slaved.
post edited by Brando - 2015/11/16 07:10:11

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/16 11:20:19 (permalink)
For me the tempo does not display correctly in Sonar either, but it does change as it should.

If he is syncing to an instrument or controller the midi clock is probably uninterupted so he may not see the multiple start/stop issue. I was syncing Sonar to Traktor 2 to run a vst lighting controller. 

post edited by tenfoot - 2015/11/16 11:43:23

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/16 16:42:35 (permalink)
When I use Sonar as a slave it is sync'd to a drum machine, either a Zoom MRT-3 or an Alesis SR-16. 

As Brando has mentioned the issue I have is that the tempo changes aren't recorded as such within Sonar, although they do happen in real time. Other than that it works for my needs, which are not extensive by any stretch of the imagination so perhaps I've never really bumped into any limitations, simply because my needs are fairly simple.
WilliamHenley
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/16 21:15:53 (permalink)
Anderton
I can also vouch that SONAR syncs to external clock...I've done it with everything from another computer to a Korg M3.

But as pointed out in the previous post, the device transmitting has to be set up correctly for whatever is synching to it. For example some MIDI masters have options for sending just MIDI clock, MIDI clock+start/stop commands, song position pointer, etc.

Sorry for the late reply guys, in hopes that either I was doing something wrong or I had some strange X3 System (my hardware) issue, I jumped to Platinum (Win 7/64, i5, emu 0404 PCIe) hoping this simple task would suddenly work. Don't judge, but I use a Korg PA ARRANGER for MIDI CLOCK SYNC and both Kontakt 5 in standalone and Ableton live 9 perfectly, EASILY, slave to the Korg PA. Just totally frustrated at this point as I'm 99.9% always playing live. Just very frustrated at this point because my two goto plug-ins (Strummed Acoustics and AAS GS2) require my DAW to perfectly slave.

All the replies make perfect sense and I keep thinking I've not followed your recommendations. That said, I should experience the same issues with Ableton and/or Kontakt but I don't. I'm not giving up yet but frustration is compounding. Sincerely, Thanks for both the interest and help. Should I find my mistake :( I'll definitely let you know.
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/17 11:00:13 (permalink)
Sonar can be configured to sync to midi, audio, or internal. However, it has been my understanding that as soon as there is audio in the project Sonar insists on audio timing. That might even include the case where there are no audio tracks, but synth tracks even if none are frozen. If that is true, it would cause all of the above frustration. However, the idea of locking timing to audio tracks does make sense when an audio recording has already dictated tempo.

Both audio and internal timing derive tempo from the tempo track. MIDI timing gives Sonar no information about tempo per se, just clock events that Sonar follows to spool out notes when they become due. The tempo track is just ignored. Recording tempo is not a Sonar thing. (though there is a way to recast measure boundaries)
post edited by bvideo - 2015/11/17 11:21:57

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
Brando
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/17 19:37:50 (permalink)
bvideo
Sonar can be configured to sync to midi, audio, or internal. However, it has been my understanding that as soon as there is audio in the project Sonar insists on audio timing. That might even include the case where there are no audio tracks, but synth tracks even if none are frozen. If that is true, it would cause all of the above frustration. However, the idea of locking timing to audio tracks does make sense when an audio recording has already dictated tempo.

Both audio and internal timing derive tempo from the tempo track. MIDI timing gives Sonar no information about tempo per se, just clock events that Sonar follows to spool out notes when they become due. The tempo track is just ignored. Recording tempo is not a Sonar thing. (though there is a way to recast measure boundaries)

Well that would (imo) clearly be an oversight on Cake's part if that is the case - but I think you may be correct. In my own case I have been trying to get it to work using a rack of soft synths. No sync, no how, no way. The logic of why Cake set it up this way (if in fact it is so) escapes me. Nothing is frozen/bounced- no audio at all in the project. My reason for going with an external clock was because Cake doesn't provide a way to control/automate tempo. It's always something....

Brando
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Brando
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/17 19:40:37 (permalink)
.........And really, if SONAR insists on audio sync (when audio is present)... Shouldn't it gray out the option for midi sync- instead of fooling users into thinking they can actually slave and sync?

Brando
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/18 12:43:55 (permalink)
Brando
Nothing is frozen/bounced- no audio at all in the project. My reason for going with an external clock was because Cake doesn't provide a way to control/automate tempo.

Soft synths are audio. Their output is pre-rendered/buffered in advance of playback and that rendering is necessarily based on the pre-existing project tempo. Synced playback of soft synths at a fixed tempo should work - and does in my experience - but if the source tempo is varying, the pre-rendered synth tracks are going to go out of sync with the source.

You can record, echo and play back MIDI driving hardware synths with SONAR slaved to a changing tempo from the Master, but you're going to have the same problem with soft synths that you would have with recorded audio tracks.

Other DAWs may not pre-render synth output in this way, and I've often wondered if it's really necessary for SONAR to do this, but it does, and that's going to prevent you controlling tempo in real time by any method unless you loop the MIDI out of and back into SONAR so that it's treated as live input (i.e. soft synth output isn't pre-rendered).

But then you're still going to have the limitation that SONAR doesn't display or record tempo changes from a MIDI Sync Master.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Brando
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/18 18:42:39 (permalink)
Hi Dave. Thanks for chiming in. Your knowledge of sonar is amazing. I get it - and could have saved myself the investment and aggravation. Yes, as you say, syncing to a fixed tempo is no problem, (but also no good to me).
I really just need to hope Cake decides to provide a way to automate tempo. (Not sure that's the solution for everyone looking for midi sync as slave when using softsynths, though).
Thanks to you (and also to BVideo) for pointing out the 'limitation'/design constraint. At least we have a definitive answer.
Much appreciated and thanks again for the help.

Brando
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/18 19:49:25 (permalink)
You mention that you have Ableton Live 9 - asyou probably know that is the DAW that excels for live sync tasks. I too much prefer Sonar, but external sync has never been its strong point. That said, no matter what the program you will experience some midi clock drift whenever there are sudden  tempo changes. Gradual tempo changes are the secret to staying perfectly in Sync. Midi in general is an area in desperate need of an update since it basically hasn't changed in 30 years. We are still stuck with a protocol written around the limitations of hardware midi file players and Commodore 64's with 64kb of ram!
post edited by tenfoot - 2015/11/18 20:00:58

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
WilliamHenley
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/18 20:48:30 (permalink)
Brando
Anderton
I can also vouch that SONAR syncs to external clock...I've done it with everything from another computer to a Korg M3.

But as pointed out in the previous post, the device transmitting has to be set up correctly for whatever is synching to it. For example some MIDI masters have options for sending just MIDI clock, MIDI clock+start/stop commands, song position pointer, etc.

FastBikerBoy
I'm not sure of the cause of your issue but it is definitely possible to slave Sonar to external equipment. I do that myself regularly, mainly with a couple of drum machines.

Here's my sequence

1. Open Preferences--->Project--->Clock and set to "MIDI sync"
  2. Press play in Sonar. At this stage the transport message will read "Press<Esc> to cancel. Waiting for MIDI Sync"
  3. Press start or play on an external device. Sonar should start, or does here anyway.
Does that not work for you?

FBB - Does this also work for Tempo changes from the master device? I can't get Platinum to follow a tempo change, (albeit in a 'McGyver'd' setup). SONAR starts and syncs correctly, but won't change tempo, which sounds like the issue the OP was having.
I am just running some experiments now trying to get Midi-OX to transmit Midi Sync to SONAR so I can trial making tempo change adjustments in SONAR to see how it performs. I am looking to buy or build a box for live Tempo adjustment of SONAR (or another DAW, using an encoder or fader).
This seems to be the case for both Midi Sync and MTC/SMPTE, but it may be a limitation of Midi Ox. I just don't want to invest in something specifically for Tempo Control if SONAR can't do what I need it to do.
Just looking for confirmation that current version SONAR responds to Tempo Change from a master device when configured to work as a MIDI slave - It's quite possible my little experiment isn't real life capable.
Thanks!

I just received this thing (I don't consider it a reply as it's pure confusion to me) from tech support.

--Sonar Tech Response-
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MAIL.
To reply to the message visit http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3317126
bvideo at November 17, 15 11:10 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both audio and internal timing derive tempo from the tempo track. MIDI timing gives Sonar no information about tempo per se, just clock events that Sonar follows to spool out notes when they become due. The tempo track is just ignored. Recording tempo is not a thing.

----------- End of Message -------------

EVIDENTLY the PERFECT MIDI SYNC, I'M GETTING IN ABLETON is a figment of my imagination! This does put me on the right path, use the Sonar Plug-ins, which I love so much, in ABLETON and "Be Happy". I would have preferred the simpler explanation that the external midi sync, in any version of Sonar, doesn't work. That answer would have satisfied me. The implication that I don't know what I'm doing was/is not appreciated nor is the Do Not Reply!

To everyone on the forum, I sincerely appreciate all the effort many of you have put forth, with respect for my quandary. In the event you find yourselves needing a sync for live play, I'll see you in the A Live forums.
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/21 23:30:13 (permalink)
WilliamHenley:

Part of the thing you quote was not written by tech support, but by me. Probably because you "subscribed" to the thread, you received automatically generated email to say there was activity on the thread. "Do not reply" is just because the email was generated automatically by the forum software and no email reply by you would be posted to the thread. Hence it says "To reply to the message visit http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3317126" My post in this thread was not a reply specifically to you, but an observation that was meant to help several posters determine why MIDI sync "works" for some and not for others.

What may have confounded you even further is that the email you received has an initial version of my post that needed editing because I hit [Submit Post] instead of Preview. The link shows my more completely worded version. Sorry for any distress that may have caused.

Bill B.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
WilliamHenley
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2015/11/23 19:06:38 (permalink)
bvideo
WilliamHenley:

Part of the thing you quote was not written by tech support, but by me. Probably because you "subscribed" to the thread, you received automatically generated email to say there was activity on the thread. "Do not reply" is just because the email was generated automatically by the forum software and no email reply by you would be posted to the thread. Hence it says "To reply to the message visit http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3317126" My post in this thread was not a reply specifically to you, but an observation that was meant to help several posters determine why MIDI sync "works" for some and not for others.

What may have confounded you even further is that the email you received has an initial version of my post that needed editing because I hit [Submit Post] instead of Preview. The link shows my more completely worded version. Sorry for any distress that may have caused.

Bill B.
Thanks for the clarification regarding my tech support misunderstanding as well as the effort trying to resolve the Sonar "MIDI SYNC" Quandary. I've honestly given up on the topic which is something I rarely do. With the exception of my "MIDI SYNC" issue, Sonar X3 and Platinum have, by far, the best feature content of any DAW available for the price. I guess this is the reason I'm so disappointed. Since it's introduction, Sonar has always been synonymous with Roland to me which is why I'm confounded by the lack of a simple sync function. I cannot place all blame on Cakewalk as I could not resolve my sync issue in X3 and still purchased Platinum hoping I would eventually solve the mystery.

At least I can use a large percentage of the Sonar Platinum plug-ins in a more sync friendly daw.
Robert McAlister
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2016/08/13 01:58:31 (permalink)
Sounds like Samplitude (post v8), Digital Performer (all versions) and Logic (pre v8).  You must have the tempo matching machine/DAW before join play.  They can follow a midi sync (beat clock) but can not ADAPT to it.

This is something I suggest Sonar, with the burgeoning drum machine/synth market, take a closer look at.

To most, well behaved, DAW users it's standard reality to have the DAW be the master.  However, once you've had your project adapt to the tempo knob of your drum machine, you will know what the frustrated few are looking for.

Yes, it's hard for the DAW to do.  Your audio must morph in order for this to work.  Because the midi clock is not in perfect sync with the clock in the sound card.  This is a challenge to rise to.  Not an occasion to tell people who have been locking synths together for years, to simply comply and suck on the DAW timeline.

FYI, Ableton and Renoise do this.  (adapt to the clock, not suck on the DAW timeline)

Win 7 32 bit
8 GB ram
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2016/08/25 11:20:29 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy
  1. Press play in Sonar. At this stage the transport message will read "Press<Esc> to cancel. Waiting for MIDI Sync"

I am trying to sync the Finale notation program using LoopMIDI.  It seems to be working now.  However, along the way, Finale wasn't sending sufficient info.  When that happened, Platinum displayed the "Press<Esc> to cancel. Waiting for MIDI Sync" and then just hung.  There was no way to interrupt it.  I had to blast Platinum out of the water.  This cannot be right.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
WilliamHenley
Re: Syncing Sonar tempo to match external MIDI clock 2017/02/19 22:55:57 (permalink)
Sonar's inability to properly sync to an external midi clock is inexcusable IMHO! Granted I use it in a very "unconventional" fashion but I've finally learned to cheat its shortcomings.

I'm using a Korg PA Arranger Keyboard and, for the most part, the clock sync is a non issue until I employ NI's Strum Acoustic, AAS Strum GS-2 and any plugin that decodes chords with pro quality clips/grooves and sync to the host (Sonar's Clock). By manually setting both clocks to the same BPM, I rarely have an issue anymore.

Cakewalk developers should take an interest, or a least make an effort, to solve the issue. Kontakt, although not a DAW, locks onto my Korg PA like a vice when I run in standalone mode. If I didn't need the effects and other niceties in Sonar Platinum, I'd just dump it but, with 4 years of projects developed that I use live, I really can't afford that. I still hope it will be addressed eventually which I guess makes me a foolish, eternal optimist. As my 60th birthday arrives this year, I can't be the optimist for to many more years. I was at the NAMM Show when MIDI was introduced and its not as if it has been an unstable protocol. Enough venting, WAKE UP DEVELOPERS, you need us more than we need you.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1