Helpful ReplyT-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Musikman
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/04 04:41:17 (permalink)
Hi Simeon, yes yours was the video where I spotted the use of ACT with the Leslie plugin. I didn't even think to try to contact you here, I also very much enjoyed your video, thank you for joining us in this thread. I'm beginning to have a little hope at this point that this will eventually get done! In your video a couple of the menu items and numbers in the steps you were showing using ACT were a little out of focus on my screen, so I couldn't see everything you were doing 100% clearly but enough to get the basic idea. As Chris mentioned, I couldn't tell either if you were using VST2 or VST3.

Thanks for the run through Chris, I appreciate it. Yes I checked and the speed control is set to = 1.  I wouldn't know if you missed any steps, but it does sound like the way to set up ACT according to the brief couple of YT videos I watched. When I watched Simeon's video I looked for that pull down menu item for ACT but I didn't see it in my Sonar. Now I know it's because it has to first be added in, didn't realize that before, the fog is beginning to lift. Simeon, if you have any additional info to add feel free to post, all is helpful! 

Again, it is unfamiliar territory for me guys, so I may be a little slow in grasping all this, but I'm sure I'll get it. Unfortunately as excited as I am to hopefully finally get this wrapped up, I won't have time tonight, I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow morning (not fun!), but will get right back to it in the afternoon and post results (or questions) here.

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64bit, AMD FX 6300 6 Core, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9-380
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/04 23:00:35 (permalink)
I went into Control Surfaces in Preferences and no drop down list is there??  I'm gonna need someone to give me a detailed walkthrough on this if possible, I just don't know enough about MIDI to fake my way through this. If anyone can oblige I'd appreciate it, in the meantime I'm gonna watch a Cakewalk ACT video and Simeon's video again to see if I can pick up on what to do, then check back here later on. Thanks

BTW, can anyone tell me what I have to do to post a screenshot here? I tried pasting it from the clipboard but it wouldn't allow me to complete the post that way. I don't have a way to use an image link, I don't belong to photo server anymore.

simeon
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 494
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/05 00:04:00 (permalink)
Here is a short demo I just put together to hopefully shed some more light on this.
It is unlisted (I might work on doing another polished one later).
Let me know if it helps.
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_QVYYk28O8

Some things to remember:
T-Racks Leslie must be in focus for the ACT control to work.
The switch is more of a TOGGLE and not necessarily based on a continuous controller.

Best regards,
Simeon

Simeon Amburgey
Sound Creations, Inc.
www.PraiseTracks.com
***PS.89:15***
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/05 02:23:41 (permalink)
Thanks Simeon,  I will watch the video, much appreciate your taking the time to do that!  I"m sure it will help others as well who are dealing with this issue.

chris.r
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/05 03:04:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby simeon 2019/01/05 10:33:37
Musikman
I went into Control Surfaces in Preferences and no drop down list is there??

click the yellow star and then choose ACT to create new position on the list, next select your MIDI I/O ports (by clicking the black small triangle), now you should be able to open the ACT window from Sonar's menu
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/08 22:13:40 (permalink)
Just wanted to update.....Since my last post here I had gotten in touch with Simeon and he helped me to work through this, finally got it working. It was a little tricky getting there, but it works now. Adding a Generic CW Control Surface didn't seem to get any response at all, but adding the ACT MIDI controller was what ultimately did work. You all had me on the right track, I just couldn't finish the task. When Simeon and I were going through this step by step, the thing that seemed to get me stuck was finding the correct parameter for the rotary switch in the ACT window. At first it seemed like it wasn't there, because there was a Slow/Fast controller parameter, but when I tried clicking on that one it wouldn't stay on MIDI Learn. I'd see the words change to "MIDI Learn" for a second or two, but before I could do anything it would bounce right back to reading "Slow/Fast".

Simeon somehow knew to ask me to look for a controller that said just "Slow". I didn't see one at first, but then I noticed there were more Banks to the left in a dropdown. So once I checked the other banks I found it in Bank #4.  When I clicked on that control parameter, it still only seemed to want to give me seconds to move and automate the rotary switch to the Modwheel, but somehow it finally worked! Thanks to Simeon for the one on one help, and thanks to all of you here for setting me straight on this, much appreciated, and I couldn't have done it without all of you. I have a feeling the rotary switch will not be able to be automated in the Stand-Alone version of Leslie, but at least we've got it going in Sonar!

I believe Simeon said he is going to update the video he had posted in #33 to now include what we discovered in the process. I don't know if he'll re-post it here, but if not I will post the link once I get it. Thanks again to all who gave of their time and knowledge.

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/08 22:25:21 (permalink)
Thanks for taking the time to come back and post an update, really helps.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/08 22:35:33 (permalink)
Sure Grem, no problem. Sorry it took awhile, was a tricky bugger to figure out!  Hopefully Simeon will have the updated video in the near future as well.

chris.r
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/09 01:47:29 (permalink)
Glad to hear you made it to work! I was following this thread as I'm interested in this leslie and wanted to see it working in Sonar/CakeLab. That they (IKM) foozled such fundamental thing like MIDI control is beyond my imagination.

There's another leslie called Spin worth taking a look www.gg-audio.com. It's included when you buy Blue3 organ or you can buy it separately and it sounds amazing. It's also very easy to control, I mean veeery easy. It's my favorite. Cheers!
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/09 21:38:36 (permalink)
yeah, finally got it going! I agree, not something they should have omitted, even harder to believe given they teamed up with Hammond themselves to produce it! Gotta give them credit for how it sounds though, closest thing I've ever heard to the real Leslie, and blows away any rotary effect that I've heard in any VST organ patch.

I looked briefly at that "Spin" leslie, looks pretty cool. I thought it was kinda strange that they included a "Stop" position, but more so that they put Stop smack in the middle of Fast and Slow. Don't know how user friendly that would be with a ModWheel. What if you have a ModWheel that automatically springs back to the off position, and can't stop it in the middle of the arc? Just at first glace that didn't seem very practical. 

chris.r
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/09 22:10:40 (permalink)
Musikman
I looked briefly at that "Spin" leslie, looks pretty cool. I thought it was kinda strange that they included a "Stop" position, but more so that they put Stop smack in the middle of Fast and Slow. Don't know how user friendly that would be with a ModWheel. What if you have a ModWheel that automatically springs back to the off position, and can't stop it in the middle of the arc? Just at first glace that didn't seem very practical.

What you describe is a mode for bender-lever only (a joystick). I don't recall any other software leslie is (or was at the time of releasing Spin) able to do the same. That's a brilliant way of controlling speed, that seem closest to the real thing - you nugde the lever right (bender) for fast or left for slow, just like the real half-moon switch! For special case if you want to stop, you push it far forward (modulation) but of course that will be used occasionally, that's why the "dead" area. Beside that there are tons of other options for controlling the whole system including your own MIDI Learn. Modwheel is no any problem. Above all that, what matters is the sound... mmm... select Custom leslie and listen :)

and no cpu hit at all.
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/09 22:16:22 (permalink)
sounds pretty good, listened to some of the demos, I like the price too, not outrageous. Here's a good tune with B-3/Leslie, funky grooves from Down To The Bone.  A lot of their stuff is great if you're going for a drive, one of my favorite driving music bands. Check it out...

Yo Mama So Phat - DTTB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnaB3heRc60

This one's good too, not a lot of B3 just good driving music...
Music Is My Drug - DTTB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnQbd9RNN90
post edited by Musikman - 2019/01/09 22:31:49

chris.r
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/09 22:43:39 (permalink)
nice drive!

here's what I'm reaching for when it comes to B-3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWBQzvWPuI
Bobby Sparx is a genius

Edit: Oh I see you edited your post too ;)
https://youtu.be/j0NFiSDvVzU?t=85

post edited by chris.r - 2019/01/09 23:06:46
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/09 23:06:12 (permalink)
Ahh...Kirk Franklin, I am familiar! Nice. Yeah that's a stock Gospel B3 for sure.

Something strange, until now I haven't actually tried recording with the Leslie, and when I did just now, it seems the automation for the rotary switch/FX isn't getting recorded. So when I play back the recording there's no Rotary FX in the places I flipped the switch to Fast, it just plays as if I never touched the modwheel at all. I checked to make sure Automation Read and Write were enabled on the plugin window, still nothing.

The only thing I can think of is it's either I have to try switching the configuration to "configure as synth", or maybe the Midi Event filter I have on DimPro B3 organ preset that I used to cancel out the DimPro modwheel data signal is somehow affecting things. Not sure on this one.

**UPDATE: I just tried using the VST2 version instead of VST3, and that seems to work consistently.  The Automation Read and Automation Write must be on, and as Simeon mentioned earlier, the Leslie also has to be in focus during recording. I also see that written Automation graph shows up over the track whenever the Rotary Switch was used.  I was also able to bounce the track to audio, and it keeps the Rotary effect in tact in the mixdown. I have not tested this extensively but so far I've had success with it.

post edited by Musikman - 2019/01/11 21:42:47

Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/11 22:58:40 (permalink)
Ok this is strange, now that I have the Leslie working, my Modwheel is not working at all with any of the other VSTi, tried with Lounge Lizard and some presets in DimPro including a couple of Lead sounds that should respond to the wheel, nothing at all. Doesn't even work in a separate, brand new project that doesn't include the Leslie plugin. Strange!...anyone? Must be missing something here, maybe has something to do with the ACT setup I used?

chris.r
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/13 04:00:38 (permalink)
Musikman
maybe has something to do with the ACT setup I used?

that would be my guess, have you tried to disable it and see what happens?
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/14 19:49:50 (permalink)
It's the only thing I can think of. I haven't tried doing that yet, is there a way to disable it without completely removing/deleting it altogether?

I'd just rather not have to set it all back up again now that it's working with the rotary switch, unless absolutely necessary.

chris.r
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/15 09:56:07 (permalink)
maybe try to uncheck 'Enable' in the ACT window and/or in Preferences>Control Surfaces
Musikman
Re: T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel 2019/01/16 22:06:52 (permalink)
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Are you in the new forum? This one is closing today, just wondering if you're already registered there under the same name?

Fyi, I'm there already, but my screen name there is slightly different.... Musikman1

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1