Helpful ReplyTech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/15 11:07:44 (permalink)
How to mix full concerts faster.
Including banter in the mix.
I always have a heap on the shelf. I make lots of choices around bouncing tracks for speed.

Templates by band?

Instead of templates I copy the last project, delete from it, copy new tracks into it, capture tempo, normalize tracks to minus three, adjust levels, auto align, envelope on vocals to reduce them when quiet, envelope on guitar to increase between vocals. Listen and capture average loudness, adjust limiter. Listen again.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/15 15:10:15 (permalink)
Probably the best thing Cake could do (or any DAW company) is a step by step how to.  You can skip the mechanical parts - getting your interface right, etc.  

Just start with the simplest stuff tho.  Chapter one, Craig records the rhythm guitar via DI.  Very slow with all the necessary channels etc., with close-ups of screen shots and highlighting what is changed at each step.  The first chapters would, of necessity, contain a lot of other info, like this is a track, this is a channel, this is what audio looks like on the time line.  At the bottom, in  a scroll or something, you could have the manual pages for the definitions and "more info." 

Chapter 2, Craig adds a synth bass via midi.  Chapter 3, Craig adds a simple virtual drum track with loops, including Audio snap.  Chapter 4, Craig adds more rhythms via the matrix, sidetracking how one can do the early rhythm tracks ....

Each aspect of recording is added, until you have a nice, SIMPLE song recorded and even the simplest among us can grok how you at least input music.

Then start on a weekly "here's how we mix" topics, starting with track filters and how restricting the lows, esp., can help your finished track, then ways to add reverb, then busses as part adding reverb, etc. etc.

A new user could spend a few hours going one by one, and at least have an idea of how SONAR (and any DAW) works and where have an idea to look for the action they are missing.  I always loved manuals, tho like a dictionary they are frustrating if you aren't even up to speed on spelling.

Cakewalk would have a structured learning environment new users could be pointed to while experienced users could point to Chapter 3, week 2 that contained exactly how to perform a function, rather than trying to explain how a feature works.  And Cakewalk could "evergreen" the teaching series, adding new featurettes to Chapters or going farther in depth.  And perhaps give users who know what they are doing space on the channel to add some of these more in-depth sessions, saving Cakewalk a few bucks.

Anyway Craig, if you had started 10 years ago you could have a cracking good "living manual" today.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/18 12:28:43 (permalink)
AT
Just start with the simplest stuff 

How about a little glossary of the more common recording, mixing and mastering terminology that may not be totally self descriptive, I know starting out (and still), I was always looking for what was meant by some terms being thrown around, say like "stems".
Perhaps a block type diagram description of typical mix layout showing, from track/input to hardware out, showing in between typical/optimal placement and routing for metering, FX, buses, sends, aux tracks, patch points, used for various instrument types, with some descriptions references along the chain of how and why, and possibly what kind of levels/gain would be typical/optimal at various points along the chain. 

Cheers   

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/18 15:39:13 (permalink)
Once again, I have to apologize for not addressing each suggestion individually, but then I'd have to say something laudatory about each one

I really appreciate the expert-level consulting and will be incorporating as many of these ideas as possible in the months ahead...feel free to keep those suggestions coming!!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/18 17:08:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/08/18 17:22:51
I'd like to see a back page of the Tech+Music mag with a Cakewalk staff pic and who everyone is and what they do. I've asked before but didn't get traction for the request.

I know so many of the names but have no idea of who's who. I'm all the way down in Oztralia and not likely to ever visit Boston or anywhere that I'd meet any Cakewalk staff.

I did meet someone (no longer on staff) when Cakewalk did a visit to Australia a good few years back.

Or maybe just a half dozen or so staff each month.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/18 17:38:14 (permalink)
Anderton
Once again, I have to apologize for not addressing each suggestion individually, 

No worries, just some thoughts as they occur.

("Once again" name of one of my songs, about being apologetic, LOL)

Cheers

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

Anderton
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/18 17:56:26 (permalink)
mudgel
I'd like to see a back page of the Tech+Music mag with a Cakewalk staff pic and who everyone is and what they do. I've asked before but didn't get traction for the request.

Maybe that's because Cakewalk did a "meet the Bakers" thing on their web site a while ago. Not sure how much interest there was in it, though. But a refresh might not be a bad idea.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/18 18:05:01 (permalink)
Anderton
mudgel

Maybe that's because Cakewalk did a "meet the Bakers" thing on their web site a while ago. Not sure how much interest there was in it, though. But a refresh might not be a bad idea.

Do you remember when? I missed that 
Will there be a rerun? 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Anderton
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/18 18:13:03 (permalink)
Zargg
Anderton
mudgel

Will there be a rerun? 

I found the link for mine, it was published in the Cakewalk Blog in 2014. So if you search on "Meet the Bakers" Cakewalk blog you'll probably find all of them.

FYI - the link that references the long interview in One Louder magazine is broken, here's the correct link if you're interested.

Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/18 18:24:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bristol_Jonesey 2017/08/18 18:45:41
Anderton
Zargg
Anderton
mudgel

Will there be a rerun? 

I found the link for mine, it was published in the Cakewalk Blog in 2014. So if you search on "Meet the Bakers" Cakewalk blog you'll probably find all of them.

FYI - the link that references the long interview in One Louder magazine is broken, here's the correct link if you're interested.

Thanks! It was the same month I joined this forum, so no wonder I missed it..

I was busy making a fool of myself 
Still going strong 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1