Helpful ReplyTech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2017/08/08 18:00:59 (permalink)

Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions

I'd like to thank all of you who are reading Tech+Music for making this a very successful launch. There were more impressions in the first week of August (>42,000) than in the last three weeks combined - the growth from issue to issue is exponential.

I particularly appreciate those who signed up on issuu.com because that provides data on which articles generate the most interest. The Loop Construction one was extremely popular, which implies that more articles along the lines of getting the most out of existing SONAR features would be welcome. Also, the articles on the 30th anniversary freebies always do well.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you! If you have suggestions for material you'd like to see covered in future issues, please feel free to chime in.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 18:07:01 (permalink)
Hi Craig, and thank you for making these available for the rest of us.
Might have some ideas down the line.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 18:11:13 (permalink)
Thank you. 
I'll sign up on issuu.com in order to give a more accurate representation of the numbers.
The info in T+M is much appreciated.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 18:45:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/08/08 18:50:46
I just signed up on issuu.com. Again, many thanks for doing the fine job you are on this. Very cool.

Maybe there could be an article on alternate controllers for future publication? Everything from the older wind, drum, and guitar controllers to the ROLI might be dealt with. An article on tweaking various CC's to allow various hardware and software devices to approximate better expressiveness could be in order. Options for remapping could be explored. This is a suggestion just off the top of my head; it's hardly a burning issue.

Although more of a niche article, options and resources for "original" renaissance music instrumentation might be another idea for an article.
post edited by outland144k - 2017/08/10 23:04:35

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

Ripwolf
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 162
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 19:05:03 (permalink)
Very glad to hear it's getting such good response. It is very well done. All the best.

ripwagner.com.
Sonar Platinum Lifetime.Windows 10 64-bit,AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 8400, 2 monitors, Focusrite 2i4, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Console 1 mkII, Maschine Mikro MK2, Maschine Jam,, Komplete Kontroll S 25, Akai Advance 49,  Casio Privia PX-150, Mackie 1202, Line 6 POD, Vox Tonelab le, Komplete 10 Ultimate, East/West Composer cloud . Ez Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 3, Assorted collection of acoustic, electric guitars and basses and amps.

Anderton
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 20:10:49 (permalink)
outland144k
[font="'book antiqua', palatino; color: #003366"]Maybe there could be an article on alternate controllers could be considered for future publication? 

I agree, and as it turns out, you'll be seeing one on the Linnstrument in an upcoming issue, and the ROLI as well. Thanks for the suggestion, it shows interest in a topic I wasn't sure interested people or not. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 20:16:03 (permalink)
Though it may not appeal to many users, I would really appreciate an article on "creating your first song in Sonar."

As I'm new to recording, I'm just lost.  Just an article on creating a song that has a few tracks - midi, audio, and VSTi, adding an effect or two, then mixing it down to a final product.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 20:22:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/08/08 20:23:08
You can't go wrong by teaching people about the features that they've paid for. There's so much under the hood now that I'm sure there are far more effective ways for us to use Sonar day-to-day, and a lot of things that never get looked at. Nothing better than learning more without spending more. One of my go-to Sonar phrases is "I didn't know it could do that."

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Zargg
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 20:22:20 (permalink)
husker
Though it may not appeal to many users, I would really appreciate an article on "creating your first song in Sonar."

As I'm new to recording, I'm just lost.  Just an article on creating a song that has a few tracks - midi, audio, and VSTi, adding an effect or two, then mixing it down to a final product.

I also think this is a GREAT idea 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Zargg
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 20:30:22 (permalink)
Anderton
outland144k
[font="'book antiqua', palatino; color: #003366"]Maybe there could be an article on alternate controllers could be considered for future publication? 

I agree, and as it turns out, you'll be seeing one on the Linnstrument in an upcoming issue, and the ROLI as well. Thanks for the suggestion, it shows interest in a topic I wasn't sure interested people or not. 

Not that I have anyone of those, but cool 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

Anderton
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 21:05:01 (permalink)
husker

I agree with Zargg - great idea! The next issue is already pretty much set, but I'll get on it.

S.L.I.P.
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 949
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 21:40:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/08/11 14:10:25
If you can't wait for the next issue, check out Craig's...

The Big Book of SONAR Tips

http://store.cakewalk.com...d/productID.5111689600
listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 21:40:37 (permalink)
Thanks...

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 22:06:23 (permalink)
Tips and tricks for the Piano Roll. Including what changed from old to new.

Be all/end all on Drum Map construction, and how to use them. A focus on using them for orchestral libraries.

How to use comping reliably, and how to streamline a workflow.

Demystify the theme editor. Have a graph showing what panels affect which part of the interface. Also, a basics lesson on how to color/change items with an image editor.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Anderton
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 22:34:01 (permalink)
Resonant Serpent

Be all/end all on Drum Map construction, and how to use them. A focus on using them for orchestral libraries.

Demystify the theme editor. Have a graph showing what panels affect which part of the interface. Also, a basics lesson on how to color/change items with an image editor.

These are all really good ideas. However, I don't think I know enough about the Theme Editor to demystify it :) I'll see if the person who designed it might be able to help.

rwheeler
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/08 23:54:52 (permalink)
I'd give highest priority to continuing to have detailed explanations of all new features. Adding more links to videos and audio examples/demos would be great. Good explanations of existing capabilities are also very valuable. One big opportunity area is to take a topic that can be accomplished in multiple way and review the reasons for using the different methods in various situations.

And I'll second the calls for an expanded focus on making music more generally (song workflow, etc.). Sonar has developmental roots as an electronic type of recorder, MIDI processor, and mixing board. But placing additional emphasis more broadly on Sonar as a tool for making music has the potential for capturing a larger population of potential customers.

That also works when highlighting how Sonar works well with other tools too. Articles about using Sonar with other popular tools could be very useful. (Threads asking for help on how to best use multiple output VSTs like Kontakt or Omnisphere come up repeatedly.)

Sonar Platinum lifetime plan, i7-4930k 3.4 GHx, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD system drive, Dell 2560x1600 monitor, Windows 10 64bit, Edirol UA-101, Nektar LX88+.
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/09 03:24:42 (permalink)
Anderton
Resonant Serpent

These are all really good ideas. However, I don't think I know enough about the Theme Editor to demystify it :) I'll see if the person who designed it might be able to help.

Using the theme editor has been hit or miss with me. I don't feel like the part names are intuitive enough. An image of the interface with lines drawn to part names would help. Maybe I need to spend more time with it. I know zilch about editing images in any program. I'll spend some more time with it. I was happy that the vu tick marks for the meters, and the meter colors could be adjusted.

Thanks again for the magazine.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 03:11:46 (permalink)
I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I don't see why it's needed.
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 04:07:31 (permalink)
Craig . . . I signed up for issuu.com, just so I could download the Tech + Music articles, which I really like to read . . . and I like to download them for future reference . . . however, their email spam bothers me, as I have no use for anything else they're trying to sell me. This last month when I went to download the latest Tech + Music, I ran into problems logging in, and accessing the download . . . so I decided to unsubscribe. Too bad, now I will just have to read it and move on . . . not my preferred way of doing things, and it's makes me long for the simplicity of the old eZine, where you could get it from Cakewalk directly, and save to your desktop without the extra fuss and spamage.

So, I guess my "request for future article suggestions" would be a downloadable PDF from the Cakewalk site.

Okay, that's my complaining . . . as far as actual useful suggestions, what about some more information regarding keyboard / mouse shortcuts for inputting midi data in the PRV. I have a basic workflow for doing this, but I keep thinking there must be a better way, since my method seems very clumsy, and  is based on older ways of thinking about older Sonar PRV features . . . I've been using Sonar for a very long time, and I know there have been new PRV features added along the way . . . I just don't thing I'm doing it the most efficient way that the new recent software features provide . . . and could really use a refresher course.

I follow the forum, and read the online Sonar manual . . . but I seem to have old and bad habits for PRV editing.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Zargg
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 09:44:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/08/10 10:49:03
noynekker
Craig . . . I signed up for issuu.com, just so I could download the Tech + Music articles, which I really like to read . . . and I like to download them for future reference . . . however, their email spam bothers me, as I have no use for anything else they're trying to sell me. This last month when I went to download the latest Tech + Music, I ran into problems logging in, and accessing the download . . . so I decided to unsubscribe. Too bad, now I will just have to read it and move on . . . not my preferred way of doing things, and it's makes me long for the simplicity of the old eZine, where you could get it from Cakewalk directly, and save to your desktop without the extra fuss and spamage.

Not necessarily so  When you open the Tech + Music link, there is an arrow on the top left corner of the screen to download the eZine from. I have done this the last times, instead of from issuu.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 11:48:14 (permalink)
I've subscribed to ISSUU, it wasn't too painful, LOL
I'd like to possibly have demystified, (perhaps not worthy of a full e-zine article), but at least some of the settings in preference/configuration file and /or audio.ini file, seems like taboo to me to touch anything there unless your a rocket scientist programmer, as per help "typically only need to make any changes if you are instructed to do so by Cakewalk Technical Support", yet its there and available to make some changes? Perhaps what circumstances would tweaking any of these settings be required or beneficial, or simply in response to this comment/request any users tweaks and why. The only one Ive been aware of is apparently, threadschedulingmodel, to change to 2 for multi-core processors, so pretty much all CPU's these days, but not even certain about that.
Anyway just something Ive wondered about. 

Cheers 

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

amiller
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 876
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 13:02:34 (permalink)
I have to admit I was (probably still am) a moron regarding bus automation.  After all these years I was finally educated by my fellow SONAR forum users that I could automate events on a bus.  It would be cool to see some tips on what, why and how to automate bus events.  For instance, now that I'm aware of bus automation, I realized I can do song fade outs much easier if I do them on a single bus.  I used to select all of the tracks and implement the fade out that way...what a maroon!

RAWK!!!

. SONAR Platinum: 2017.10
System specs:
Purrrfect Audio:
http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/ 
• Case Silent Mid Tower
• Power-Supply 600w quiet
• Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz
• RAM 32GB DDR3/1600
• OS drive 1TB HD
• Audio drive 2TB HD
• Samples drive 1 3TB HD
• Burner 24x DVD/RW
• Video HD4600
• Add TI chipset Firewire For all others
• Operating System Windows 10 x64 Home Edition
. MOTU 828 mkII
. Lucid 9624 A/D
. Millennia HV-3b pre
. Dual 24" Widescreen Monitors
noynekker
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 16:30:48 (permalink)
Zargg
noynekker

Not necessarily so  When you open the Tech + Music link, there is an arrow on the top left corner of the screen to download the eZine from. I have done this the last times, instead of from issuu.
All the best.

I have the download button, top left . . . clicking it does absolutely nothing, what browser does this work in ?
I am using MS Edge, and I tried MS Explorer, it's a no go.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Anderton
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 16:37:41 (permalink)
noynekker
Craig . . . I signed up for issuu.com, just so I could download the Tech + Music articles, which I really like to read . . . and I like to download them for future reference . . . however, their email spam bothers me, as I have no use for anything else they're trying to sell me. 

Did turning off all notifications under your Account Settings preferences not work? 

Anderton
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 16:41:55 (permalink)
Hey everyone...there are too many great suggestions here to address each one individually! These comments are extremely helpful. One recurring theme is a desire for more workflow-related articles - not just descriptions of how things work but how to use those features optimally. That info alone is worth its weight in gold, as are the most specific suggestions. Thanks!!

noynekker
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 16:45:51 (permalink)
Anderton
noynekker
Craig . . . I signed up for issuu.com, just so I could download the Tech + Music articles, which I really like to read . . . and I like to download them for future reference . . . however, their email spam bothers me, as I have no use for anything else they're trying to sell me. 

Did turning off all notifications under your Account Settings preferences not work? 

What ? Where ? How ? . . . if you're talking about my issuu account settings, I have already opted out of that . . . though the link still opens at e.issuu.com.

EDIT:  Ok, I managed to download it from link in a cakewalk email this morning . . . the link in the forum sticky, just doesn't work for me. 
post edited by noynekker - 2017/08/10 17:11:01

bokchoyboy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 238
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/10 22:41:09 (permalink)
Zargg
noynekker

All the best.

Same here...
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/11 14:15:29 (permalink)
noynekker
Zargg
noynekker

All the best.

I have the download button, top left . . . clicking it does absolutely nothing, what browser does this work in ?
I am using MS Edge, and I tried MS Explorer, it's a no go.

Just wanted to say that I have had no problems using Edge to access issuu.com to read and download the ezine.  Also I have received a total of 2 emails from them.  No biggie compared to the junk on my gmail account. 

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/11 16:59:05 (permalink)
One thing I think would be great to see are some interviews inside and outside Cakewalk.

Some considerations:
- Engineers in Mastering and Mixing studios who have gone In-the-box, such as Andrew Scheps.
- Plug-in developers from various different brands, such as Waves
- Critics / Reviewers (maybe ask questions of how they go about reviewing products like Sonar)
- Expert users (perhaps even chosen from this forum)
- Cakewalk bakers (anonymous or not)

These don't all have to apply directly to Sonar or other Cakewalk products, but can allow readers to see how the industry itself is evolving, and what things people expect to come or want out of their DAW or studio work.
post edited by brconflict - 2017/08/14 21:55:36

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: Tech+Music - FYI, and request for future article suggestions 2017/08/15 10:41:04 (permalink)
I would really appreciate an article about how to use the Matrix view - the basics and the advanced! :)

I am a long time Sonar user but have never really tried nor understood the Matrix view.... (so the recent article about the enhancements really went over my head... )

Keep up the good work, Craig!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1