Helpful ReplyLockedTerrorist attack downtown Manhattan

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 16:44:34 (permalink)
Beepster
How many people in the US supported the various wars in the middle east over the past nearly 20 years?

I mean... you do realize you're at war, right?

If you'd ask them though, you'd find that they don't support the idea of military attacks which deliberately target civilians, and they support the billions of dollars worth of technical R&D that has gone into developing weapons which find their targets with pinpoint accuracy thus minimizing civilian casualties.I don't think you'd find any significant support for the military targeting civilians in any form.  

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 17:11:54 (permalink)
sharke
Beepster
How many people in the US supported the various wars in the middle east over the past nearly 20 years?

If you'd ask them though, you'd find that they don't support the idea of military attacks which deliberately target civilians, and they support the billions of dollars worth of technical R&D that has gone into developing weapons which find their targets with pinpoint accuracy thus minimizing civilian casualties.I don't think you'd find any significant support for the military targeting civilians in any form.  

Are you sure about that? Because I've definitely heard/seen the term "glass parking lot" bandied about quite a LOT. Even here on this forum.

My point is, and I say this with much luv and respect for ya (seriously... I've always liked you except when this topic comes up), you cannot blame this type of behavior on Islam or Muslims in general. Douchecanoes like this guy are following a twisted/radical variant of the religion and are being manipulated by self serving, power hungry jagwagons.

Just like I don't equate all Christians with the dumbasses who blow up abortion clinics or all white dudes with that jerkoff who plowed into the crowd in Charlottesville. Hell, as much as I despise racists/racism I wouldn't even paint them all with the same brush as that guy because the majority of them likely aren't down with just outright murdering people.

So yeah... you want to hate on the extremists? I'm right there with ya. Trying to paint all Muslims (most of whom are very peaceful, hardworking and just want what everyone else wants. A decent life for themselves and those they care about) with the same brush isn't cool or correct.

However all I really want is for us to not have this type of convo start seeping into this particular forum. I have a whole slew of socio-political stances/opinions that I just KNOW would likely cause a whole poopstorm up in here so I generally just keep it to myself... up to a point.

Anyhoo... I doubt I can change anyone's mind on this stuff but can we just rage out on the murderers and leave the generalizations out of it?

Knowwadimean, jelly bean?

Cheers.
sharke
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 17:57:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/11/01 19:17:38
I'm not generalizing though Beepster. I can understand if I was saying "all Muslims are extremists," but I'm not. I'm pointing out statistical facts, not generalizing. Personally I'm hugely against religion of any kind - I think it's the biggest source of evil and cruelty and ignorance and death in this world. However, let's not kid ourselves that all religions are the same, or that they inspire extremism at anywhere near the same rate. 

The fact is that there is (fact) a very worrying degree of support for terrorism in the name of Islam, and this degree of support is absolutely contributing toward the spread of it. If all religions were the same, then I'd expect each one to inspire a similar degree of extremism & violence, but that's not the case. And then of course there's the argument that it's not the religion, that Islamic terrorists have very justified political beefs with how they've been treated which would in some way explain why terrorism is so prolific in the Islamic world. Well if that's the case, then let's take the example of Native Americans. They have a HUGE beef with America - they had their land stolen from them, they were decimated by violence and disease, all at the hands of the country they live peacefully in today. Yet they're not blowing themselves up on buses, they're not lobbing rockets out of their settlements into towns and cities, and they don't express their life goals as being to bring the world to its knees and to kill anyone who isn't on board with their idea of spirituality. That's because Native American culture and spirituality is inherently peaceful and does not inspire such attitudes. 

My point is that there is something about this religion and the culture surrounding it which is responsible for it being the inspiration behind most of the world's terrorist attacks. I'd have to twist myself into pretzels of evasion and delusion not to observe that. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 18:10:38 (permalink)
sharke
Personally I'm hugely against religion of any kind - I think it's the biggest source of evil and cruelty and ignorance and death in this world. 

I would add politics to this statement (which is why both are against the TOS - heh).

I would also point out that I keep spirituality and religion (a man-made entity for the control and power over the masses) separate.  Same with politics and community leadership/support.  One's hidden goal is power and control over the masses, the other supports them.

(IBTL?)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
sharke
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 18:17:15 (permalink)
craigb
sharke
Personally I'm hugely against religion of any kind - I think it's the biggest source of evil and cruelty and ignorance and death in this world. 

I would add politics to this statement (which is why both are against the TOS - heh).

I would also point out that I keep spirituality and religion (a man-made entity for the control and power over the masses) separate.  Same with politics and community leadership/support.  One's hidden goal is power and control over the masses, the other supports them.

(IBTL?)

I guess that's why I'm a libertarian atheist. 

James
Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 18:50:44 (permalink)
Okay, well I could certainly refute quite a bit of that and provide multiple examples to back it up but really I doubt it would make a difference and as I said I try to avoid ramming my politics/beleifs down peoples throats (at least around here) but really...

What's your end game then? Do we abolish Islam? Do we round up all Muslims and put them in camps? Do we continue buggering around in their homelands for not so noble reasons? What?

And I'm sorry, you say you aren't generalizing then you go and do a whole bunch of generalizing.

Also it should be noted that the first part of the Q'ran is really quite peaceful and lovey dovey. Once ole Muhammed got booted out of Mecca for buggering up the status quo is when he started spewing all that Jihad crap which is what these lunatics use as their excuse to murder... because people were quite literal trying to kill him and all his followers so he wanted revenge. So a well meaning merchant who did some desert shrooms and started out wanting to help people, got kicked in the balls for it then kind of turned into an arsehole.

Don't get me wrong. I despise organized religion and most certainly hate violence of any kind (I am literally violently opposed to violence) but I believe in full bodily, mental and spiritual autonomy for the individual.

Just as long as that individual does not invade on the autonomy of another individual... which of course violent acts are a massive violation of said autonomy.

THAT is the true spirit of libertarianism. Not this weird twisted faux libertarianism that seems to have sprouted up that somehow allows for the subjugation of others.

It's all or nothing. It can't just be liberty for ME but not that other dood over there because he's not like me.

Murderous arseholes however? Ya, got no love or sympathy for them which brings up another point.

Just because people like me think it is wrong to accuse all Muslims of being terrorists or terrorist sympathizers (because it's simply not true) does NOT mean we condone or accept these types of horrendous acts. There are a whle pile of Islamaphobes though that seem to think we do.

We don't. We probably hate this crap more than you do.

So have we sufficiently broken the TOS yet?

;-)
sharke
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 19:13:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2017/11/01 19:31:14
Once again Beepster:

Nobody here is calling all Muslims terrorists or all Muslims terrorist sympathizers. Straw man arguments are not cool m'kay....

However, there is no getting away from the fact that support for terror in the name of Allah is worryingly high in the world of Islam. Now, we can either have that fact in the open, or we can just ignore it and call everyone who brings it up an "Islamophobe." 

Also, please note that you don't see me calling for a ban on Islam, or "rounding up Muslims" or any kind of subjugation. 

I don't have the solution. But that does not mean I can't be open about expressing the problem.

My take on libertarianism and liberty is that liberty is for people who respect the liberty of others. Islamists who believe in a worldwide caliphate and/or believe that non-believers should be destroyed do not and will never respect the liberty of others. 

James
Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 19:29:21 (permalink)
So why not say ISIS wannabe?

Or Al Quaeda derpclowns?

Yanno... like how we call the Klan what they are when they do something crappy or what we call neo Nazis when they do something crappy or eco terrorists when they do something crappy or when the IRA would do something crappy, or when bikers do something crappy, etc.

My whole bleeding point is just saying/implying "Muslims" or "Islam" is inaccurate. These are specific radical groups. Yes they are a major problem and need to be thwarted at every turn as much as possible.

Muslims in general are just people and I find it gross that they have to take on all the hate and blame for these jerks running around hurting people.

craigb
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 19:29:27 (permalink)
The REAL problem are CIA created "events" designed to divide and enrage while making them look like they are being performed by Islamic radicals.  Remember, UN Agenda 21 calls for ONE religion for all (among other horrifying things).

(Just to thicken the pot a bit.)

Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 19:35:09 (permalink)
craigb
The REAL problem are CIA created "events" designed to divide and enrage while making them look like they are being performed by Islamic radicals.  Remember, UN Agenda 21 calls for ONE religion for all (among other horrifying things).

(Just to thicken the pot a bit.)

Well I won't go down any conspiracy rabbit holes but yeah, the CIA are kind of a really nefarious bunch of shiz disturbers and absolutely had a hand in stirring up this particular hornets nest... like for many many decades.

And yes... discord. Forever sowing discord.

Arses.
craigb
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 19:38:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2017/11/01 19:40:43
Addendum:  I find that it is a major tactic of those who want to run the world to cause people to overly embrace their: culture, race, color, political stance, religion, etc.  Why?  To create divisions.  It's today's version of Divide and Conquer.

When people ask if I'm a racist, I answer "Sure!" So they'll point at someone, who's black for example, and say "So you have a problem with them?" to which I'll answer "No, not at all; we're the same race."  They usually tend to look at me weird and say "But you're not black?" and my answer is "Those are just colors.  We're both from the human race.  I'm just not a fan of extraterrestrials."  Yeah, I'm setting them up a bit, but people desperately need to stop looking at the differences and start acknowledging the similarities.

I have a wide selection of friends from many cultures, colors, political stances and spiritual preferences.  I do have a bias that I need to work on: I have very little patience for unintelligent people whose entire lives appear to be directed by opinions brainwashed into them (yet they feel the need to badger everyone else with these).

Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 19:45:51 (permalink)
Yes. Seriously.

If we viewed the human race(s) the same way we view breeds of dogs it wouldn't be "Oh those guys are like Dobies and those other doods are Spaniels, etc).

It would be more like every dog is a Lab but some are chocolate, some are golden, some are... etc, etc.

SCIENCE!!!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 19:56:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2017/11/01 19:57:43
craigb

When people ask if I'm a racist, I answer "Sure!" So they'll point at someone, who's black for example, and say "So you have a problem with them?" to which I'll answer "No, not at all; we're the same race."  They usually tend to look at me weird and say "But you're not black?" and my answer is "Those are just colors.  We're both from the human race.  I'm just not a fan of extraterrestrials."  Yeah, I'm setting them up a bit, but people desperately need to stop looking at the differences and start acknowledging the similarities.

Why do people keep asking you if you're racist?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 19:58:14 (permalink)
lulzity1
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 21:15:14 (permalink)
Voda La Void

One of the things I used to love to do on Facebook was re-write a news story swapping races, religions, events, whatever, and see how folks responded.  I learned the obvious...that people decide about something emotionally, and then search intellectually to justify it.  We tend to work backwards.  This Pew study is a cool one.

We do this indeed on a very regular basis.  The technical term is "Confirmation Bias".  Basically, it means we form an opinion then look for information to support that opinion.  If we find an overwhelming number of facts that dispute our opinion we simply dismiss them.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
craigb
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 21:31:45 (permalink)
jamesg1213
craigb

Why do people keep asking you if you're racist?

My primary client is an immigration attorney's office.  Lots of hot buttons going on there!  If someone were to say something like "I'm going to march in the next Purple Lives Matters protest!" (for example), I might ask if they're going to march in a Green Lives Matters protest should one be created.  Now-a-days, as you can probably guess, lots of people believe if you don't think exactly as they do on a certain subjects, you're a racist, an atheist, a terrorist, a sexist, homophobic or any number of accepted terms to help promote division (as per my other point above).

Most don't see the forest, only specific trees.  Those are the ones who might ask.

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 22:05:24 (permalink)
Beepster

Those same people have been at war for thousands of years. It's not like we started anything. The Israeli's barged in and claimed the table. Then, we had to go and make sure we had a seat. The wars would have been raging all the same.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 22:18:32 (permalink)
DrLumen
Beepster

Those same people have been at war for thousands of years. It's not like we started anything. The Israeli's barged in and claimed the table. Then, we had to go and make sure we had a seat. The wars would have been raging all the same.

Indeed. Total hornets nest.

Not sure why we insist on inserting our [REDACTED]s into it.

I mean... I know the answer "why" but it's not particularly altruistic... nor beneficial to us western plebes.
tom1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 22:51:49 (permalink)
Beepster:

In my crowd a lot.
We have bombed the Arab world relentlessly for years with very little organized protest. We carpet bombed Libya and estimates are 100,000 to 250,000 deaths (mostly civilians and non-combatants)

I can understand when European and American citizens get upset when their countries are attacked. I wish they directed just a fraction of this outrage at their own countriy's military actions against third-world countries.

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
East West:
Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

craigb
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 22:56:01 (permalink)
For the record, I never blame the military (even though there are a few who feel like they're playing a video game on steroids).  I place it squarely on the political leaders with an agenda.  They play chess while the lower levels try to claim every pawn life matters.

Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 23:19:54 (permalink)
Meh. I'm absolutely fine blaming the top brass (if they're screwing up).

The grunts? Ya, no. I don't blame them.
sharke
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 23:23:42 (permalink)
Beepster
So why not say ISIS wannabe?

Or Al Quaeda derpclowns?

Yanno... like how we call the Klan what they are when they do something crappy or what we call neo Nazis when they do something crappy or eco terrorists when they do something crappy or when the IRA would do something crappy, or when bikers do something crappy, etc.

My whole bleeding point is just saying/implying "Muslims" or "Islam" is inaccurate. These are specific radical groups. Yes they are a major problem and need to be thwarted at every turn as much as possible.

Muslims in general are just people and I find it gross that they have to take on all the hate and blame for these jerks running around hurting people.

I think what a lot of people fail to acknowledge is that Islam (or any other religion) is not a race or an ethnicity. It's a collection of ideas. As adults, we are quite free to embrace or reject any set of ideas we like. We're also free to judge people for the ideas they hold, since the ideas you choose to embrace are a reflection of your character. I firmly believe that religion, as an idea, is dangerous and will always lead to violence, oppression, cruelty and subjugation. The reason being that when it comes to religion, there is no appeal to reason. You cannot challenge a religious statement with logic - no matter how illogical or easily debunkable it is, the religious person can always appeal to some intangible "other world" and dismiss objective arguments without having to offer a single fact or rationalization. "It says so in this here book that was written by God" is apparently enough. And thus there is no limit on this earth to what can be justified by mysticism. 

You are adult enough to understand that when someone says "x% of Muslims...." they mean exactly that, x% of a group. They are not saying "the whole group." Therefore, it is not a generalization of a group. It is a distinct proportion. Now then. Whether or not it's worth getting worried about the attitudes and beliefs of a distinct proportion of a group, depends on how big that proportion is (and what it translates to in absolute numbers). 

0.01% of 100,000 people is not only an overwhelming minority, it's also a very small number of people in total. 20% of a billion people (for example), is an extremely significant proportion, and a huge number of people in total. Should we be worried that such a large group of people thinks that suicide bombings against civilians are honorable if they're done in the name of their religion? Of course! After the 7/7 London Underground bombings, surveys showed that as many as 25% of British Muslims supported the bombers. The figure was even higher among the under-30's. You can dance around this all you like with warm and fuzzy platitudes about togetherness, but the fact remains that this is and will continue to be a huge problem as extremism in these communities flourishes - unreported, hidden and supported by a significant proportion of the community.

Also in that Pew study - 50% of Egyptians have a positive view of Hamas, and 30% have a positive view of Hezbollah, both groups with direct and indirect links to terrorism. By saying this, am I claiming that all Egyptians support terrorism? Of course not - that would be factually incorrect. But would these figures make me think twice about taking a trip to Egypt (or investing in the country if I were some big shot businessman)? Of course they would. 

James
Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 23:46:13 (permalink)
Okay... now look up the stats on how likely it is you are going to be the victim of an Islamic terror attack.

Versus say... getting mowed down by a drunk driver... or stabbed by a drug addict... or beat to a pulp by some crazy person off their meds.

Yes. Radicalism in all it's forms is utterly ridiculous and unacceptable IMO, especially when it manifests itself in a physically violent manner.

However getting overly wigged out about it is illogical because there are a million and +1 things out there trying to (and much more likely to succeed) kill you at any given moment.

Again I will reiterate that I completely and entirely despise violence of any kind and think this guy is a subhuman pile of detritus.

Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 23:52:35 (permalink)
Oh... I fergot what I came in here again for.

Relevant
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/01 23:59:39 (permalink)
craigb
sharke

(IBTL?)

Michael Foucault would agree.  It is about power.  We're seeing the dis-empowerment of the em-powered.  (Those who go to sleep at night worrying about what der furhrer is doing. Godwin's law!) It's all about relationships of power.  E pluribus unum.    the DIS-empowerment of the formally EM-powered (viz identity poly ticks, social justice you name it) suddenly impotent.  And in that void we're like lost sheep.  It's really a new beginning though, I hope.

IBTL!!!!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/02 00:07:11 (permalink)
This fred is now POGUES!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/02 00:51:35 (permalink)
I blame everybody! 

What if they gave a war and nobody came? 

Best
John
Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/02 00:54:20 (permalink)
Oh... knowing humans if anybody declared a war anywhere somebody is gonna come.

we're pretty icky like that...
Linear Phase
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2201
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/02 00:56:40 (permalink)
Religion is not inherently violent.  Man is inherently violent.  Religion did not invent man, and religion did not start violence.  Man was here and violent long before the three Judeo Christian schools of thought walked along the Earth.

Studies have shown that murder/or forms of violence against ones own kind exists in other species of the Animal Kingdom - Wolves for eg, have been known to kill each other.  However, no animal has shown such a propensity for bloodlust as human beings.  We are the most predatory, disturbed, violent creatures on Earth.   While most of us, 90 something % of us have evolved through our basic human intelligence to no longer kill, wound, or harm, there is a percentage out there who are very dangerous.

btw Beepster, Canada is a participant in this, "war on terror."  Which frankly history will look back and call, "WW III."  Canada has definitely been a victim of terrorist attacks.  Canada definitely has their own military assets involved in the fight.

Btw it is terribly sad that the same people who complained about how Political the Las Vegas thread became have essentially started the same thing here.   No doubt those of us who believe in our Rights to Speech and Arms will be blamed when this thread is inevitably locked

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

Beepster
Re: Terrorist attack downtown Manhattan 2017/11/02 01:05:48 (permalink)
Wow. Nice one, LP.

I am well aware of Canadian military involvement in said wars (as well as our abstentions).

I do indeed pay attention.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1