The BIG Orchestral Library Shootout * * *

Page: << < ..111213 Showing page 13 of 13
Author
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/02 00:20:09 (permalink)
[<font]Just want to check the percussion here. Snare, Bass drum, 7 tympanis and a cymbal?

I used TTS-1 to check. Just want to be sure since percussion can be an unknown.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/02 00:36:17 (permalink)
Guitarpima

[<font]Just want to check the percussion here. Snare, Bass drum, 7 tympanis and a cymbal?

I used TTS-1 to check. Just want to be sure since percussion can be an unknown.

That's the percussion lineup exactly, Guitarpima.  We included the TTS-1 in the .cwp file so people could easily see what instruments were used in the original source file.  I'm not sure everyone's taken advantage of that convenience.  Now that you know what the percussion instruments are, you can split that track out and transpose the notes to the ones you need with your soft synth of choice.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/02 12:25:34 (permalink)
Thanks Randy. I acutually split them first and then figured out what they were.    

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
vicsant
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1378
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/02 20:25:03 (permalink)
Hi Randy,

When you do post the submissions, maybe you should start another thread?

This one is hhuuuuggeeeee...........
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/03 01:03:35 (permalink)
vicsant

Hi Randy,

When you do post the submissions, maybe you should start another thread?

This one is hhuuuuggeeeee...........

Whoops - The submissions have been online and available for several days now.-----!---

We started a new thread when the news broke that this event became a gen-u-wine Contest - Gary Garritan has donated a fantastic line of prizes, in case you missed that news too.  The entry with the most votes will win the entire line of Garritan software - GPO, JABB, COMB, and The Authorized Steinway - And runners-up will get one library, with the up-coming new Garritan World library in the mix ---!

Maybe we can start a third thread on this - we were hoping people were subscribed to either one or both of these existing threads, so they could keep abreast of the news.

But here's the site again where all the entries are posted.  Deadline for new entries is August 15th, the polls will start after that, then after a voting period of two weeks, we'll display the info about what synth was used in each entry along with the notes the creators provided about their work.

THE ORCHESTRAL SHOOTOUT MP3s

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/06 16:25:29 (permalink)
I will probably feel like a right idiot when I get to the bottom of this!  I have been making a version of the Trek theme using the Kontakt factory library and have run into an problem I can't get to the bottom of.

Something is setting the level and pan of the individual instruments in Kontakt. All the midi track headers are panned to the centre. If I centre the pan or adjust the level in the instruments settings in Kontakt all is well until I start playback - from anywhere in the track than the volume and pan settings get reset. I cant see anything in the event list or track headers that may be causing this.

I have found a work around if I disable "accept standard controllers for volume and pan" in the Instrument options in Kontakt, but I think I must be missing something very basic.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/06 17:02:51 (permalink)
Hi, Glyn - Glad to hear you're still planning on sending in an entry.

"...I have found a work around if I disable "accept standard controllers for volume and pan" in the Instrument options in Kontakt..."

That's not really a work-around, that's what that control in Kontakt is for.  It determines whether or not the host program's pan and volume faders will control the Kontakt mixer or not.  You found your answer.

You can right click and disable control on each individual pan control and fader in Sonar, but that would take longer and isn't as reliable.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Twigman
Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3667
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/06 17:17:17 (permalink)
Randy

You should now have a link to a remarkably orchestral sounding version made 100% in ReFX Nexus using nothing but the cwp file and 13instances of Nexus!!!!

Considering it's designed for techno/house/trance it's done a surprising job in my opinion.

Become a Fan on Facebook
Buy our stuff on iTunes
Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/06 17:24:04 (permalink)
rbowser

Hi, Glyn - Glad to hear you're still planning on sending in an entry.

"...I have found a work around if I disable "accept standard controllers for volume and pan" in the Instrument options in Kontakt..."

That's not really a work-around, that's what that control in Kontakt is for.  It determines whether or not the host program's pan and volume faders will control the Kontakt mixer or not.  You found your answer.

You can right click and disable control on each individual pan control and fader in Sonar, but that would take longer and isn't as reliable.

Randy B.
Thanks Randy, the confusing thing is I can't see where Sonar is setting the volume and pan.

I have two versions on the go, but the Independence version might not make it because of technical problems.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/08/06 17:56:55 (permalink)
Hey Twig - Thanks for the ReFX Nexus version.  I'll listen before the day is done, and get it up on the site.  Sounds fun!

Hello again, Glyn "... the confusing thing is I can't see where Sonar is setting the volume and pan..."

But if you use the setting you found in Kontakt, that should disconnect Sonar control over pan and volume.  That's what you want, right?  You have all these settings done in the Kontakt mixer that you want to use, but when you hit play they get re-set by Sonar because it has control over Kontakt's knobs.  Un-checking that setting should do the trick--As you said in your post earlier.

It's in the MIDI channel strips - the pan and volume knob--those are what are re-setting your synth.  You can right click and disable them--but it's tricky because every time you just touch those, like by accident, that re-sets them to have control.

I think all you need is to keep that setting in Kontakt unchecked.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Alan T
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/09/13 17:41:48 (permalink)
rbowser

This sequence was arranged by someone only known to us as "GaryW0001@aol.com" - You can see his credit listed in the file's Markers, along with credit for "Blue Max Distribution" which apparently is a company name he used for himself.  The date is 1998 - so it's old information.  I wrote to Gary, but that email no longer exists.  I tried the address spelled with zeros and then with capital "O's" but neither work.  I wanted to let him know that we wanted to use his work for this purpose.

So we've tried to contact him, and we're giving him credit - I made sure his info was included in the file, even though it's outdated.  I'm sure he'd enjoy knowing that what he did back then is still alive, and that it's being used for this educational, not-for-profit purpose.

Randy B.
If you still want to contact Gary Wachtel (GaryW0001) you can do so here: GaryW0001@GaryW0001.com. However, Gary produces MIDI files, he does not, to my knowledge, produce arrangements. The Star Trek Theme used was arranged by Calvin Custer and is part of his Star Trek Suite if you want to credit him.
Hope this helps,
Alan T

post edited by Alan T - 2010/09/14 02:09:37

Magic MIDI Music Company

"The only good composer is a dead composer"
pcartwright
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/09/19 16:11:21 (permalink)
I realize that the time to submit an entry for the competition is long over and that voting ended about three weeks ago, but can I still contribute to the shootout?  I have a file that I think sound alright, and I'd love to get some feedback and discuss techniques if anyone is interested.
Page: << < ..111213 Showing page 13 of 13
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1