The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here)

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
rhynosynth
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 520
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/26 20:52:11 (permalink)
CHB. Really enjoyed this. I love an everything and the kitchen sink production like this. I read Danny's post above and I can only imagine the effort it must have taken to put this mix together. I lurk in the CH once and a while and I can definitley hear the fun you guys have with each other coming through in this tune. The lyrics are hilarious. Bings part cat and part asparagus... right? Can I eat him? The drums sound great and like they were played on a roland V maybe? Programmed or played either way it's a great accomplishment. I vaguley remember Jonbouy's close to the edge drum track so I'm not surprised. Everyone sounded great. I always found it amazing how you can pick out an individual's power chord rythym style even to this day after decades of music utilizing it but you can tell it's Steve's. The solos are great. I hear some Jake E. Lee Bark at the moon in the last one. Excellent tune!

Mark
RockingChair
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 803
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/26 23:07:35 (permalink)

Excellent!!!!!!!

Very Diverse with the musicianship!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby

Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 02:59:42 (permalink)
Did you guys record this using X1? If not, what did you use?

:)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 06:09:16 (permalink)
Well finally got round to listening to this - fell asleep last night before i got to it!
well this is a much more straight-ahead rocker than previous songs, for the most part. and your insight into the recording and mixing process was very welcome, Danny. it lets us know what a difficult job you must have had.
when the tune first kicked in i though 'cool', yes it's very compressed but it sounded like it was gonna be a 'Painkiller' era Priest a thon! didn't quite turn out like that.
i love the chorus, with the backing vox, that is a great tune. not as convinced by the verse/pre-chorus; to me Phil's vox and the riffs don't quite do enough to hold the melodic interest.
drums are well played by Jon, occasionally some of the cymbals get a little lost and artifact'd, that could be just the mp3, of course. at times in the middle and second half they were a little too busy in my opinion, and could have been a little more rock than metal. (for example at 6'10)
bass is very solid all the way thru.
having 3 different lead tones doesn't quite work; i think mainly cos Grant's lead tone isn't distorted enough, and is more of a classic rock tone in both sound and style. it also doesn't help that Danny's outro solo is so flipping good!
the occasional keys and synth are very good and effective, and i would have like to see the piano theme introduced 3/4 way thru continued and expanded to the end...

well at the mo i'd say this is my least fave out of the 3 CHB epics thus far, but i think partly this is a lack of cohesiveness in sound, and if Danny is now cracking the whip, then we can expect great things in the future. It's still a great track and a worthy addition to the Bing files, of course!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Venus
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 496
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 09:57:38 (permalink)
Loved the intro. I didn't read the other comments, so sorry if I repeat. The song, itself, is badass. I like the progression and the dynamics. Couldn't understand the words, but who cares? Totally rocks!

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
The future is on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 10:23:24 (permalink)
Let me chime in.  The instrumentation and the production is top notch.  I especially loved Danny's solo (no offense Mr Grant).  Great singing.

However, they lyrics are say wierd to me, but maybe different and creative for others.  They seems to be based on the movie "2012"?  They do not work for me because, it is not a situation I can relate to.  If we are in a brink of natural disaster, then the lyrics should be more of a warning theme.  If they are about greedy people, then expose their greed and maybe shock us with disguss.  Then there is something about leaving the planet, are these the aliens that took over like "V"? 
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 18:51:11 (permalink)
Bub

Did you guys record this using X1? If not, what did you use?

:)

I believe it was recorded in 8.5 Bub, but I don't know for sure. The original cwp file came in a few weeks ago to me and I opened it up in X1. Later as I started experimenting for real, I decided to bring it onto my real recording box and opened the project (which was never saved on my end when I was experimenting) in 8.5. It didn't give me that warning message that it was created in a later version of Sonar etc...so I'm assuming....I don't know what I'm assuming actually....Bapu will probably weigh in on this. LOL!!!

When I started crying for individual stems because I'm a control freak, Jon and Bapu uploaded a bunch of wave files for me. What they were recorded in, I have no idea. I mixed and recorded all my parts in Sonar 8.5...edited nasty's in Adobe Audition, iZoptope Rx 2 Advanced and mastered it in Sonar 8.5 and finalized in WaveLab 6. I know, you're laughin at me about the Adobe comment, aren't you? LOL! I can't help it man....Adobe in edit mode gives you incredible tools that just work seemlessly and transparently. Like, I've never had a pop, click, crackle, hum, oscillation or snert or other artifact that couldn't be removed or at least masked while using Adobe. For those that need a bit more love and care, Rx 2 does the job nicely. But that Adobe Audition 3, one of the best kept secrets in my opinion for editing audio. I'd never record with it, but man, in edit mode it's like a totally different program.

Oh yeah, meant to comment on that other post you made about the bands etc. I'm familiar with all those bands actually...brings back memories. I remember loads of people talking about them (friends and relatives) Of course it was a bit before my time (I'm 43) but I was into everything and my parents used to lug me around to see all kinds of stuff. By the time I was 12, I had seen Al Martino, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, Humperdink, Don Ho, Burt Bacharach, Tony Bennet and my fave band of all time growing up, Chicago! I saw them at Steel Pier in Atlantic City....I'll never forget it. Now THAT's when AC was a great place to go. Are you from Jersey originally or still here by chance? I'm familiar with the North Jersey scene, but as you know, it's almost like a completely different state once you get in that area. I don't travel there unless I have to.

Mgh and everyone else, thanks for the comments...much appreciated and well taken.

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 19:44:30 (permalink)
 Thanks for the listen and comments Bill, Tap, Beagle, Gregy, mgh, radio, Gary, Mooch, Freddy, Rhynosynth, Bobby, Venus, and vechung: no offense taken.

Bub, this is an older CHB tune that was my first project with them, I had Sonar 7 studio at the time but was having growing pains with it so I used Cakewalk GT 2.0 for my part when recorded in Dec of 09. The other members remaining tracks were finished last summer with the exception of Phil's and Danny's tracks, so most of it predates X1.

Me

Janet
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 20:52:56 (permalink)
Great job, you guys!  What a great line-up.  Steve, isn't it great to see your tune turn out like this?  :-)
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 21:22:33 (permalink)
Just listened again.  this is mixed really well, I'm very impressed with the mix.  It is very compressed, but I expected that with this genre.

I really like this - again - this one is my favorite so far from the CHB.

Danny - thank you for apologizing to Philip.  No hard feelings?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/27 22:01:06 (permalink)
Cool guitar, what I probaly would have played if my formative and road years had happend 45 years later than they did.

Nice command of the guitar! (but I like all gutar players.)   Cool production.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/28 10:15:14 (permalink)
Herb, John, Tom, Bub, Philip, Scotty, Bill, James, Reece, Greg, Mark, Radio, Geeare, Paul, Freddy, Mark (Rhyno), Bobby, Venus, Vechung, Janet and Daryl.

Thanks all for taking a substantial chunk out of your schedules to give this one a whirl, I personally always appreciate the feedback given here.

I'd first like to thank Danny and Phil for their input here this was a big ask for both of them and they both excelled here with room to spare.  Phil coming in and lending 'that' voice to the band I couldn't quite see how that feature was going to happen to any satisfaction until his first takes started coming in.  He had to fit into a pre-determined style that would have been difficult for anybody but to my mind Phil has pulled off the theatrics here with great aplomb.

Danny's already vaunted reputation too was at stake and totally out of his comfort zone having to deal with such a wide range of already contributed material from such a diverse range of contributers and tying it together into some coherent whole would have made most folk just shrivel up into a corner.  Whether or not you are a fan of the resultant dynamic range currently on the final mp3 doesn't really concern me what matters is there is a masterly produced track in the archive that far exceeds any of our combined capabilities of final production to date. Period.

The fact that he also contributed musically too makes it a veritable embarrassment of riches.

I'm going to big up Grant here as well as his style and tones add for me an extra layer of creativity that we couldn't do without and I am in awe of the guys playing and a self-confessed, unapologetic fan of his.

Some criticisms here notably from mgh re. the drums I perfectly agree with and take responsibility for as there was a structure change that I should have paid more attention to, and reference the lyrics not being perhaps as coherent and witty as in previous releases it is an indicator that you can't lose a character and creative force as big as Space Cowboy without it causing some impact and getting something of that light-hearted "not quite a veggie, not quite a cat" kind of pantomime humour back would be an aim in future.

But the grass ain't growing under the feet of the CHB, that much is clear!

Thanks again all for the feedback.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/28 10:28:47

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/28 10:32:35 (permalink)
lyrics? there were lyrics?
who cares...
The Knocked-out performances, and production made this a thing of beauty...
I loved it... well... I really liked it a lot...
Well done CHB...
The Coffee House Band
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/29 14:25:06 (permalink)
geeare1

....it took almost the entire song for me to 'get' the 'Armageddon out of here' pun.

LOL

Thanks Gary - I've been trying to work that into a song for ages

Steve

Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/29 14:50:40 (permalink)
Bapu's bass playing was extraordinaire - Wow. How well thought out. I just loop it over and over again. It's pure genius. 

Stunning!

It was better than Cats! I am going to see it again and again! 

On a serious note 

Nice job on bass Ed. 

You are still a stupid face though 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Slow Marching Band
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1603
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/30 03:35:11 (permalink)
I like this one a lot guys. Easy to focus on the guitars, and lose sight of the rock solid rhythm track that glues this song together - Steve, Ed, Jon - excellent stuff there. Of the solos I liked Grant's very much (no offense to Danny), I love his melodic phrasing and sweet tone. Heck of a job mixing this Danny, and it works as a cohesive whole to my ears.

Great catchy chorus, it keeps popping into my head through the day  The verse vocals could use a little tweak to bring out the lyrics perhaps, but that's a minor nit in a really successful project. Cool track guys, hats off t'ya!

James
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/30 03:35:34 (permalink)
Hi, Guys,

Excellent job by ALL on this "Epic" production!  Both Phil and Danny sure make a very impressive addition to the already highly formidable CHB team.

All of the performances by the players and singers were great, and personally, I think Danny did a truly fantastic job on the mix that actually suits the genre perfectly, while still preserving the dynamics nicely for a pro sounding progressive rock mix.

Great songwriting, clever lyrics, dynamite musicianship and excellent production work, very well done, boys!
Bob
Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/01/30 16:29:52 (permalink)
Man............I've listened to this several time now already......(and the funny thing is that this is not my style of music I would ordinarly listen to.....but I do admire the musician ship, the production, the engineering and the writing)

The production just blows me away.....even on PC speakers it is just so clean and in your face........seperation and  musician ship is just off the charts!

Every part was played at such a high level.......

I can only hope to aspire to be 1/4 this good some day!

to each and everyone of you.........VERY WELL DONE!

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/01 16:05:25 (permalink)
Bub

Yeah, but the Ring Around The Rosie part at the beginning was cute, that was kid friendly. ;)

I wanted some real kids zombies to sing that bit Bub - can you think of anyone

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveStrummerUK
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/01 16:13:44 (permalink)
Freddy J

Outstanding!!  Sure wish I could play guitar like that and showed that kind of overall creativity.  As far as the message, being a tree hugging eco-freak, and having worked in the business for over 35 years, I took it as kind of a sarcastic rant against waste, destruction of natural capital, etc.  To me it was a tip of the hat (tongue in cheek) to the "Tragedy of the Commons" doctorine?  Anyway, that was my take and I enjoyed this creative journey.

Freddy J

Hi Freddy, thanks for the kind words

He he - only Ed knows exactly what those lyrics mean

jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/01 16:21:41 (permalink)
A little late to the party here...did I miss anything?

• I was quite impressed with this musical Cuisinart of a tune.  
  • The guitars sound friggin awesome. 
  • I didn't even recognize Phil's voice, which is quite a tribute to both he and Danny since I have been listening to Phil quite a bit in the Spockpit project.
  • The Bouy's playing is frenetic and still on rhythm.
  • The breaks are well placed and inventive.
  • Danny has me re-thinking ever taking on mixing and producing Spockpit.

ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/01 22:23:52 (permalink)
On behalf of the CHB a big thanks to Janet, Beagle for the double spin, Daryl, Frank, Mooch for the double, James, Bob Oister, Clifford and James Yoyo. Thanks James, I think Strummy and I just grew on you through the years. Thanks for showing us from the start not to let anything like an ocean stop us from jamming together.

I'd like to personally welcome our two new members into to the band.
 Phil: Awesome job on your first assignment with the CHB, when I heard you sing those low parts in the other collabs, I knew there was something special there. So glad you hopped on board, sorry your indoctrination was more like being drafted.
 Danny: So awesome to have you aboard, like the brother I never had, thanks so far for all you have done.
 Bapu: I have to agree with Bub about that solo, without a doubt the best I've ever heard for my tastes just brilliant. Even though I haven’t seen 2012, I do enjoy the humor in the lyrics, for some reason, my mental picture of the video for this would be all of us crammed in a small vehicle with a Wookiee and the rest of the CH crowd lead by a flying Beagle, with an uncanny resemblance to Underdog, being perused by a giant cat made of asparagus, a tribe of Mayans and Bing, to our destination a retro 40’s looking rocket….  Must be Beagle’s cartoon epics still in my head.  
Jon: Simply the most advanced percussionist I ever got a chance to work with, always so much more musical significance in your high energy playing and double kicks than anyone I’ve heard.   So many genres there all rolled into one.  
Alex: Always great synth tracks but this was exceptional. That part during the chorus is brilliant. Always so helpful  as production consultant as well as sound engineer.
Strummy: Well Bro, this has sure come along since your first draft with Guitar Tracks. I’m so honored to be included in your grand scheme of things Strummy. You always come up with a great background and awesome driving rhythms. They just keep getting better.
This is my favorite CHB song to date the most important thing for me is with Danny and Phil. We are a band again and fully operational. Long live The Coffee House Band.

Me

StudioCat57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/02 08:26:09 (permalink)
Cool song!! Mixing and mastering is excellent and the playing imho is stellar!!!

Enjoyed it!!

Many wish they had a command of their instruments like this regardless of style of music!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Peace!!

P-4 3.0ghz- 3 gigs ram
Sonar 6.021 Producer
DM-3200
Motu 2408mk3
Lots of VST's
Strummer07
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/02 11:01:39 (permalink)
Wow!! What an absolutely belting song !! ......Fell's ......I stand in awe !!

There is some seriously good playing going on here, great guitars all round ......but the outro solo makes you eyes water !! Fab !! 

Respect!!............. Creatively, Lyrically,  Musically, Sonically  and Mix ( is there a word for this ending in ly ??) ... spot on !!

a super 8 mins !!
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/02 16:18:22 (permalink)
As usual with CHB stuff  a certain amount of it goes over my head a bit, like an "in" joke that you're not in on, but what is clear is that there's some very talented people at work here. Great to see Danny in the songs forum too and I hope he sticks around as he has always come across to me as one of the most helpful people around and he would be a big plus to have around for those of us who are still scratching our heads trying to figure out all this stuff.

SteveStrummerUK
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/03 17:21:08 (permalink)
rhynosynth

I read Danny's post above and I can only imagine the effort it must have taken to put this mix together.
Hi there Mark, considering Danny had very little input in how the separate tracks were recorded, I think he did a wonderful job on this. I know Ed and Alex won't mind me saying this, but they both had working mixes for this tune and, like the rest of us, when we heard Danny's first effort, we knew we were onto a winner!

Bings part cat and part asparagus... right? Can I eat him?

Not quite Mark, Bing The Berciless is the evil ruler of planet Grzylyrg (a planet with no vowels - a rough translation is 'Zi-lurg', although if you tried to pronounce it in the local dialect, you'd end up regurgitating your lungs and choking on your own spleen).

The half cat/half vegetable is Asparapuss - he is Bing's right-hand cat/vegetable and was once sent to earth to destroy it on one of Bing's evil whims. And I wouldn't recommend trying to eat him

If you want to listen to the saga so far, check out our Soundclick Page

The drums sound great and like they were played on a roland V maybe? Programmed or played either way it's a great accomplishment. I vaguley remember Jonbouy's close to the edge drum track so I'm not surprised.

Jon's a genius

With the songs I've written, I put together a demo/scratch track with a couple of rhythm guitars and bass tracked to a basic drum loop. Jon then goes to work and we have a blinding drum track to which we all record our parts.

Everyone sounded great. I always found it amazing how you can pick out an individual's power chord rythym style even to this day after decades of music utilizing it but you can tell it's Steve's.

Thanks Mark, that really means a lot to me

The solos are great. I hear some Jake E. Lee Bark at the moon in the last one.

Agrred - Grant and Danny are stellar guitar players - I'm always happy to play second fiddle (quite literally) to these guys!

Excellent tune!
Cheers Mark, glad you enjoyed it

Steve

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/04 18:23:58 (permalink)
Great song... I love the drumming!!!

It's all good stuff even the part where bapsi steals the solo from Stevie... I hope he looked over and at least gave Stevie a head nod and a wink while he silently mouthed the words "here comes the Am... I'm dropping the bomb".

I think Stevie sort of made up for it with the credits roll solo.. yeah man!

I have to say I listened after reading thru the thread and so I kept waiting for ol phil to start screaming JELLYROLL or BACKDOOR or some real dirty **** like that.

Kids these days....

You guys rock... great job!!!

best regards,
mike

M@ B
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/05 12:39:27 (permalink)
ripping performances
skillful production.
lyrics ???

Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/05 18:26:49 (permalink)
Great metal song, not a big fan of the vocals, but that's ok.   I was able to tune them out and just jam :)

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:The Coffee House Band - 2012 Armageddon (Out Of Here) 2011/02/05 18:41:52 (permalink)
i really don't like this type of music. That said, i'd love to do a death metal song just for the sake of it. But, if I did, my voice would be shot for a month and i wouldn't be able to talk. And, I like to hear myself talk......um.

Otherwise,
Great job guys. Wish I had that much energy:)
The playing and production is indeed quite good.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1