The Dream is Over...new mix

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Dazed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/24 21:10:13 (permalink)
I like this version much better than the other one I heard. Very good song and it flows exceptionally well. You should be proud of this one.

I have listened a few times. That does not happen often ;)
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/25 17:05:24 (permalink)
Yeah, nice job. I'd really like to get to that nice clean level that you've accomplished here. Very dynamic and "large" sound. I like it very much. I would have liked to hear a bit more of the backup vox and your vox with a little less effects. You have a good voice. I've struggled with my own for a while and decided it was better to just put it out there rather than hide behind effects, if it would make the sound and song better, irregardless of my own personal insecurities. You're always your own worst critic.

Excellent work. Nice message. I'll stay tuned.

opensky
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 481
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/25 17:29:56 (permalink)
Thanks Clark for taking the time to listen again. Your conmments are very much appreciated.

ORIGINAL: clarkeo

Hey Steve, just getting around to listening to the new mix. I like!!! Vocal level I think is much better now. Whole production sounds really good to me. This is a really cool track. I love the slight strangeness of the guitar lick. Really nice!

Clark

post edited by opensky - 2007/09/25 17:40:16

Steve
www.soundclick.com/opensky
www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
fep
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1186
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/25 18:58:39 (permalink)
Whoa, that's a dramatic change from the 1st part to the second part...

Real good vocal perfomance, I really like it when you go in and out of your higher register.

Great songwriting, great production, 1st rate mate.
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/26 14:49:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SongCraft

The piano is very nice in the intro, although I feel the intro needs a little extra something magic, the next part kicks superbly!

Excellent production, arrangements and mix. The lead vocal sounds great although in one or two parts it could come up a little in the mix.

Great performances throughout. Strong melodies in the chorus, excellent vocal harmonies reminds me of another great band (can't think of their name) maybe the intro could use a little of that vocal harmony technique.

The guitar work on this really kicks, and the other instruments are skillfully performed too. Great use of arrangement-dynamics, expressive feel on this track.

Outstanding song!

Thanks! I know what you mean about the intro. I redid the intro slightly and
brought up the vocals a smidge. It's uploaded if you want to check it out. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/27 16:01:55 (permalink)
Thanks.

ORIGINAL: opaque slogan

Excellent production, that seemed very carefully thought out. It's a great track too, well performed with a lovely sound to it.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

Tombo
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 988
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/27 23:51:41 (permalink)
Wow, I'm impressed. Many of the comments are about the mix, which is great work, but I also want to compliment you on the performances, which I feel are excellent, and you make the vocal in particulary sound easy. Well done!

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/29 03:30:48 (permalink)
Thanks Dazed. Repeat listening is what it's all about.

ORIGINAL: Dazed

I like this version much better than the other one I heard. Very good song and it flows exceptionally well. You should be proud of this one.

I have listened a few times. That does not happen often ;)

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/29 18:36:11 (permalink)
I hear what you mean. I did go back today and took a little delay off. I felt for this song the vocals needed to sound other-worldly. But I did tame down the delay. Thanks for the suggestion.

ORIGINAL: spindlebox

Yeah, nice job. I'd really like to get to that nice clean level that you've accomplished here. Very dynamic and "large" sound. I like it very much. I would have liked to hear a bit more of the backup vox and your vox with a little less effects. You have a good voice. I've struggled with my own for a while and decided it was better to just put it out there rather than hide behind effects, if it would make the sound and song better, irregardless of my own personal insecurities. You're always your own worst critic.

Excellent work. Nice message. I'll stay tuned.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

ralphwiggum
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/30 11:37:26 (permalink)
Wow. This one really stands out. Great song. Great production.

How did you get the mix so loud? It almost blew up my monitors after the piano intro. Very nice dynamics also.

What did you use for the piano sound?
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/01 16:33:06 (permalink)
Thank you very much!

ORIGINAL: fep

Whoa, that's a dramatic change from the 1st part to the second part...

Real good vocal perfomance, I really like it when you go in and out of your higher register.

Great songwriting, great production, 1st rate mate.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/03 01:15:13 (permalink)
Thanks Tombo! I'm glad you commented on the performances. That's the hardest thing.

ORIGINAL: Tombo

Wow, I'm impressed. Many of the comments are about the mix, which is great work, but I also want to compliment you on the performances, which I feel are excellent, and you make the vocal in particulary sound easy. Well done!

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

MikeTSH
  • Total Posts : 491
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/03 02:18:54 (permalink)
I really liked it. Good job on the chaos feel to it, although I do agree it could have been a little dryer. Excellent stuff though
smaltonian
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/03 18:18:01 (permalink)
Steve

What kind of set-up do you have??? Do you play piano?

Steve Altonian

http://www.soundclick.com/stevealtonian
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/15 15:35:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ralphwiggum

Wow. This one really stands out. Great song. Great production.

How did you get the mix so loud? It almost blew up my monitors after the piano intro. Very nice dynamics also.

What did you use for the piano sound?

Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond. I used M-audio's key rig for the piano sound. As far as the volume I just set the amplitude on my wavelab to -8.25.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

smaltonian
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/16 14:16:05 (permalink)
Steve

Well it is really IMPRESSIVE

smaltonian
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/19 21:43:03 (permalink)
BTW

How is the after-touch on the M-AUDIO??????????? I've been afraid to stray away from a true synth..
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/20 12:12:12 (permalink)
this song is one of the best works artistically that i've ever heard in this forum.

steve, i think the vocals are good where they are at - you might consider increasing their presence a bit (5k) so they are a little easier to understand, but with this song i think that up-front vocals would be inappropriate.

i think the break at 3:02 could really have some impact if there wasn't an abrupt cut-off and some more energy (and more instrumentation) on the lead-in.

- jack the ex-cynic
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/20 18:33:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

this song is one of the best works artistically that i've ever heard in this forum.

steve, i think the vocals are good where they are at - you might consider increasing their presence a bit (5k) so they are a little easier to understand, but with this song i think that up-front vocals would be inappropriate.

i think the break at 3:02 could really have some impact if there wasn't an abrupt cut-off and some more energy (and more instrumentation) on the lead-in.

Thanks Jack. I'm glad you are an ex-cynic. I also appreciate your advice and encouragement. I just uploaded another mix with some minor changes. I took your
advice to increase the 5k to add presence. I was kind of cautious and only increased it by 2db. Do you think it's enough or should I increase it more? As far as the 3:02 part,
I left a delay trail so it's not so abrupt and then I added a crash and guitar to give a little more energy. Do you think it still needs more? I appreciate all your help. Thanks.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

jacktheexcynic
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/20 21:33:30 (permalink)
steve, i think the boost is fine. in fact on my monitors i might even take it down a half dB. the break sounds better, but it sounds like the delay tail is cut off. i would let it decay into the chorus and see if you like it. there's more punch on the downbeat after the break now, which is good.

your song made it to #1 in alternative on soundclick and deservedly so - keep up the good work!

- jack the ex-cynic
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/21 02:32:12 (permalink)
Thanks Jack. I just uploaded another mix and took the vox down a half db and let the delay decay into the chorus as suggested. I also felt compelled to boost the guitar up a
little. Let me know what you think if you get a chance. Thanks.

steve, i think the boost is fine. in fact on my monitors i might even take it down a half dB. the break sounds better, but it sounds like the delay tail is cut off. i would let it decay into the chorus and see if you like it. there's more punch on the downbeat after the break now, which is good.

your song made it to #1 in alternative on soundclick and deservedly so - keep up the good work!

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

DarrylCoy
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/21 08:46:52 (permalink)
Great song! I really like the vox. What was your approach to recording and mixing the vox? mic and preamp? Thanks, Darryl
jacktheexcynic
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/21 21:47:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: opensky
Thanks Jack. I just uploaded another mix and took the vox down a half db and let the delay decay into the chorus as suggested. I also felt compelled to boost the guitar up a

steve, the vocal and the break sound good. the only thing on the break is that a half beat before everything comes back in there's an artifact that sounds like a hat getting cut off abruptly... i think it steals the thunder of the chorus if that makes sense...

- jack the ex-cynic
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/22 00:03:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarrylCoy

Great song! I really like the vox. What was your approach to recording and mixing the vox? mic and preamp? Thanks, Darryl

Thanks Darryl. I used a pre sonus tube pre with an AKG C414B ULS Gold. I hope that
answers your questions. Let me know if it doesn't.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/22 00:05:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: opensky

steve, the vocal and the break sound good. the only thing on the break is that a half beat before everything comes back in there's an artifact that sounds like a hat getting cut off abruptly... i think it steals the thunder of the chorus if that makes sense...

Once again Jack, your ears are golden. I didn't spot it but you're right. It was actually
part of the vocals. Man, it sounds so much more impactful now. Thanks so much. I've
uploaded it in case you want to check it out.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

jacktheexcynic
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/10/22 22:46:51 (permalink)
steve, i think that was it right there - the chorus hits much better now. had this stuck in my head all day today at work. it's a great song.

- jack the ex-cynic
opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/11/08 01:41:40 (permalink)

steve, i think that was it right there - the chorus hits much better now. had this stuck in my head all day today at work. it's a great song.

Sorry Jack, I've been away for awhile. I read this when you first wrote it but i was unable
to respond at the time. I just want to say thanks for all the help. You surely went above and beyond the duty.

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

smaltonian
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/11/19 02:37:32 (permalink)
Steve

SUPER-SLICK

A real pleasure trip....

opensky
RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/11/19 17:35:07 (permalink)
Thanks Steve, always good to hear from you.

ORIGINAL: smaltonian

Steve

SUPER-SLICK

A real pleasure trip....

Steve
www.soundclick.com/open

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1