The Dream is Over...new mix

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
opensky
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 481
2007/09/08 03:23:20 (permalink)

The Dream is Over...new mix

After digesting everyone's comments on the original (The dream is over (Supper's Ready),
I decided to do a whole new remix and did some additional tracking. To differentiate it,
I've entitled it "The Dream is Over..." I've taken out the "Supper's Ready" as many people have suggested (to not be confused with the Genesis song). I've left the original version (vinyl intro) in case you want to compare with the new. Let me know what you think. I greatly appreciate everyone lending me their ears on the original.

http://soundclick.com/open
The Dream is Over...

Steve
www.soundclick.com/opensky
www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis

58 Replies Related Threads

fixerman
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/08 05:59:58 (permalink)
    This is the first time I listened to your material. The song itself was captivating from the start till the finish. I had to listen to it a few times to soak it all in. I have to say the production and the arrangement is excellent. It is so good that I found myself listening to "Lounge lizard" afterwards. That one is also a great piece. You definitely have an original and unique sound, ( Did that sound redundant?) that i've heard ( in this forum anyway) ...I love your stuff.
    post edited by fixerman - 2007/09/08 06:31:40

MCPro24 , Sonar 4.0.4 Studio, HP Compac Presario laptop ,Widows Vista - 32 bit O.S, Conexant Hi-Def Smart Audio , Tascam US-122 ,  2 gig ram , 200 gig hard drive ,Intel Pentium Dual core. 

http://members.soundclick.com/Fixerman

clarkeo
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/08 06:34:00 (permalink)
    Hi Steve,

I really like the piano intro. The simple piano and vocal works really well and makes the loud section following all the more effective. Very cool guitar lick--I like the dissonant quality of it. This is really well done. The only suggestion I have is that the vocal seemed too low in the mix--I think it should be more prominant. Nice one!

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
    opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/08 11:51:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Clark. I've been debating if I should bring the vocals up higher
    in the mix. Anyone else out there think so?

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
    opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/08 13:31:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Fixerman! Thanks for listening to Lounge Lizard too.
    ORIGINAL: fixerman

This is the first time I listened to your material. The song itself was captivating from the start till the finish. I had to listen to it a few times to soak it all in. I have to say the production and the arrangement is excellent. It is so good that I found myself listening to "Lounge lizard" afterwards. That one is also a great piece. You definitely have an original and unique sound, ( Did that sound redundant?) that i've heard ( in this forum anyway) ...I love your stuff.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/08 19:20:11 (permalink)
    Oh, that's delicious, Steve. Great mix. Obviously a labor of love, all your attention to detail has paid off.

Yes, there are a few places where the vocal could come up. But I understand why the vocal is down in those places, it's sort of drowning in the musical chaos and I think that's the effect you wanted.

You might be able to make the vocal more defined in those parts without raising the level much, just by making the vocal dryer. I'm not suggesting drying out the whole vocal, because the voice is nicely effected and pleasant sounding the way it is -- just in those places where you need the voice to cut through but you don't want to do it by raising the levels a lot.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/08 23:41:07 (permalink)
    Steve, steve, steve my man.......you have got it dude!! That is one really nice tune, and obviously a lot of time was spent on it. Love the way you tell the story of the wedding feast . Really appreciate the way you've created so many different textures in this one, and they all blend together so well; even with the vox.......the fx are awesome, and all over the place! This one is like a smorgasborg (spelling?? oh well!!) of musical candy. Already looking forward to what you're coming up with next. Way to go bro !

DuRod
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/08 23:54:23 (permalink)
    That's damn good, man. One of the best posted here that I've heard. My only complaint is a slightly bright mix in a couple places. But that's a wee whine in comparison to all the good stuff, and otherwise the mix is excellent and varied. The song grows and builds well, keeping the interest the whole time, which is a very common missing aspect of many songs posted here.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Bob_631
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 291
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/09 09:46:15 (permalink)
    I think you've got a hit there. I can listen to it over and over and not get tired of listening to it...whatever you did...do it again
    opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/09 13:51:15 (permalink)
    Thanks. I was wondering what spots you felt the vocals could come up in? Are you talking about the verses?

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Oh, that's delicious, Steve. Great mix. Obviously a labor of love, all your attention to detail has paid off.

Yes, there are a few places where the vocal could come up. But I understand why the vocal is down in those places, it's sort of drowning in the musical chaos and I think that's the effect you wanted.

You might be able to make the vocal more defined in those parts without raising the level much, just by making the vocal dryer. I'm not suggesting drying out the whole vocal, because the voice is nicely effected and pleasant sounding the way it is -- just in those places where you need the voice to cut through but you don't want to do it by raising the levels a lot.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/09 14:13:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Duane! Yeah, that story is one of my faves. I know i have a tendency to go
    all over the place musically. I used to try to control it but I've found a vehicle here under
    the umbrella "Open" to offer songs unrestricted. It's fun...although a lot of people can't get "into it." I'm glad you did. Thanks for the encouragement.

ORIGINAL: DuRod

Steve, steve, steve my man.......you have got it dude!! That is one really nice tune, and obviously a lot of time was spent on it. Love the way you tell the story of the wedding feast . Really appreciate the way you've created so many different textures in this one, and they all blend together so well; even with the vox.......the fx are awesome, and all over the place! This one is like a smorgasborg (spelling?? oh well!!) of musical candy. Already looking forward to what you're coming up with next. Way to go bro !

DuRod

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/09 15:49:20 (permalink)
    Steve,
    Just got around to listening to this one. I am truly impressed. The production on this is remarkable! Nothing to pic on here. Great story line.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Melodymaker48
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/09 18:18:34 (permalink)
    Hi Steve,
    Excellent song and excellent production. This would definitely get crossover radio play. Good message.
    Rob
    opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/11 02:35:03 (permalink)
    Thanks! I really appreciate the encouragement!
    ORIGINAL: Bob_631

I think you've got a hit there. I can listen to it over and over and not get tired of listening to it...whatever you did...do it again

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/11 13:01:58 (permalink)
    Hey Steve,

How nice to hear this one again, love this track. I didn't listen to the original again before checking out this re-mix, but I would say the whole thing is now very cohesive, you've done a fantastic job in pulling all these elements and arrangement details into a unified song.

Sounds like you added some more instrumentation, would I be right? This really is an outstanding piece of work, certainly one of the best I've heard on this forum, and that's saying something!

If you get a CD done, let me know, I want one

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/11 13:16:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Hey Steve,

How nice to hear this one again, love this track. I didn't listen to the original again before checking out this re-mix, but I would say the whole thing is now very cohesive, you've done a fantastic job in pulling all these elements and arrangement details into a unified song.

Sounds like you added some more instrumentation, would I be right? This really is an outstanding piece of work, certainly one of the best I've heard on this forum, and that's saying something!

If you get a CD done, let me know, I want one

Thanks for checking it out. I always appreciate your feedback. I was just really
    curious to hear from someone that has heard the original. I added one guitar chord
    after the intro to add to the sonic blast from the sparse intro. I also added another vocalist to do some back up. All in all, it was mainly mixing it differently that probably
    made the biggest difference. It was my most challenging song to date to mix. When I get a CD done I will let you know. Thanks James.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/11 21:05:42 (permalink)
    Hi Steve! I did not hear this one the first time, either. I really like this song. your vox are really good, love the style. great guitar sounds.

my only complaint is there's some pops and clicks throughout the song - especially at the beginning but also later when the guitars are quiet.

other than that, I really love it!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/11 21:18:16 (permalink)
    The pops and clicks are purposeful.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/14 01:27:26 (permalink)
    Thanks! I love this story too!
    ORIGINAL: lhansen

Steve,
    Just got around to listening to this one. I am truly impressed. The production on this is remarkable! Nothing to pic on here. Great story line.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

smaltonian
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/16 19:52:24 (permalink)
    I feel you have the song right where you intended it....Great concept, & a tight mix

As a vocalist yeah I would like to hear the vocals up...but for this style of tune pity the vocalist cause it aint supposed to be up----it fits the style....The song moves and moves and moves and when I'm at the end I still ain't sure where I just went but I wanna go there again...
    smaltonian
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/18 17:12:38 (permalink)
    I was wondering if you could explain where you get your concepts from.....I find them really intriguing and breaks barriers....The textures you choose are beyond me so I was hoping for some insight......Could you elaborate please???
    opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/18 19:17:16 (permalink)

Thanks Rob. I'm hoping for crossover play.

ORIGINAL: Melodymaker48

Hi Steve,
    Excellent song and excellent production. This would definitely get crossover radio play. Good message.
    Rob

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/18 19:19:17 (permalink)
    Thanks Beagle. The pops and clicks are intentional at the beginning however the ones
    you heard in the middle are not. I got rid of them since then, bad edits. Thanks for noticing.
    ORIGINAL: Beagle

Hi Steve! I did not hear this one the first time, either. I really like this song. your vox are really good, love the style. great guitar sounds.

my only complaint is there's some pops and clicks throughout the song - especially at the beginning but also later when the guitars are quiet.

other than that, I really love it!

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/23 14:57:28 (permalink)
    Thanks droddey. They were purposeful. I posted a new version today with a
    different intro. If you get a chance, let me know what you think. Thanks.
    ORIGINAL: droddey

The pops and clicks are purposeful.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/23 14:59:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve. I boosted the vocals a smidge and changed the intro. When you
    get a chance let me know what you think.

ORIGINAL: smaltonian

I feel you have the song right where you intended it....Great concept, & a tight mix

As a vocalist yeah I would like to hear the vocals up...but for this style of tune pity the vocalist cause it aint supposed to be up----it fits the style....The song moves and moves and moves and when I'm at the end I still ain't sure where I just went but I wanna go there again...

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/23 15:06:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for your inquiry. The song is inspired by the parable of the wedding feast from
    the Bible. But there is also a prophetic urgency for "waking up" in a world that's fallen asleep. Being ready for the imminent return of Jesus Christ. This song is mainly for believers or those who have been "raised" in the church. What it's not, it's not condemnation upon the unbelieving. I hope that answers your questions. If you have a
    question on a specific term or verse, please let me know.

ORIGINAL: smaltonian

I was wondering if you could explain where you get your concepts from.....I find them really intriguing and breaks barriers....The textures you choose are beyond me so I was hoping for some insight......Could you elaborate please???

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/23 15:10:04 (permalink)
    Don't want to create a new thread on this, but I just uploaded a new intro and boosted the vocals a smidge.
    Although I personally liked the vinyl intro, I didn't want the intro to stain the rest of the song if one didn't
    the effect. Actually I like this intro better because it fits in more with the theme and the outro (with the reverb).
    You will notice that the reverb is heavy at first but becomes dry when the vocals come in as if awakening from
    a dream. Any thoughts will be welcomed.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

clarkeo
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/23 22:21:24 (permalink)
    Hey Steve, just getting around to listening to the new mix. I like!!! Vocal level I think is much better now. Whole production sounds really good to me. This is a really cool track. I love the slight strangeness of the guitar lick. Really nice!

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/24 02:39:53 (permalink)
    The piano is very nice in the intro, although I feel the intro needs a little extra something magic, the next part kicks superbly!

Excellent production, arrangements and mix. The lead vocal sounds great although in one or two parts it could come up a little in the mix.

Great performances throughout. Strong melodies in the chorus, excellent vocal harmonies reminds me of another great band (can't think of their name) maybe the intro could use a little of that vocal harmony technique.

The guitar work on this really kicks, and the other instruments are skillfully performed too. Great use of arrangement-dynamics, expressive feel on this track.

Outstanding song!
    post edited by SongCraft - 2007/09/24 02:50:55

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: The Dream is Over...new mix 2007/09/24 07:06:33 (permalink)
    Excellent production, that seemed very carefully thought out. It's a great track too, well performed with a lovely sound to it.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1