Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:37:22 (permalink)
eratu,

Please let me add one thing. I am very grateful that you share the results of all the work you do with us. That is incredibly generous.

all the best,
mike

PS mudgel, I really enjoyed reading your post about stepping back occasionally... I was staring at my acoustic all day yesterday. :-)

eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:42:00 (permalink)
mudgel

Anyway back to finding the balance between leveraging technology to make music and actually making music. When its all out of whack I pick up an acoustic guitar and just start playing. When that hits the spot I go back to leveraging the technology with a new lease of energy and a clearer perspective on things. But I do love the challenge that the technology presents. Some of us musos just can't help but love tinkering too.

I'll tell you a secret: sometimes; just sometimes mind you; The tinkerer in me beats the musician in me and he doesn't mind getting caught up in the technology even if he doesn't make a note of music. As long as he's enjoyed it I'm OK with that.
But there's 2 hats.
The party hat where I can play just for fun; music or tinkering whatever:
then there's the working hat; still enjoyable but different priorities take over and you need to get the job done. Don't want to tinker then. It all has to come together and just work - the technology, the techniques, the workflow,the skills and of course the project, music video whatever.

Well said! Yes, definitely finding a balance. Frustrating, but true. And I know exactly what you mean about just picking up your instrument and playing. If only the technology would be so natural of an extension of our creative minds. 
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:46:19 (permalink)
In other words, I'm feeling that even though I may have a 100% x64 project set up (as in, all the plugins are x64), that if I have too many plugins that are DIFFERENT, things can get strange.

Even in X64 I'd have to point the finger at processor scheduling and memory address's. Software is built a certain way and hardware has limits as to what it can process. I don't know what kind of machine you're using, 4 core, 2 core, 8 core. Or how many Gb of ram you have but eventually you're going to reach the limit of what your machine can process in the proper time frame. I think you'd have the same problem in X86.

Craig DuBuc
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:48:44 (permalink)
I'm taking so long to write my posts that I'm not connecting with the right people.

eratu: admit it go on. YOU ARE REALLY GREEDY. where did you get the idea that could have your cake and eat it too. hang on! Why would you even want a cake if you couldn't eat it?

Technology makes us greedy, do more in less time, do better more quickly etc. etc.

I certainly haven't had projects that pushed your kind of limits but i don't use Omnishere or Wave arts stuff and the like either.

after lots of experimenting I find I get predictably stable results usingas many of the following as I like: I'd say i wouldn't have atrack count go over 80 or so and no more than 100 plugin instances synths or fx

I've also found that I've benfitted form using the whole "kit" from one software developer, in my case as follows.
Yellow tools
Independence 2.5 with all the instruments that load through it,
Toontrack -
All the SD2 packs MIDI's the lot
Native Instruments
KOMPLETE 7, and several other NI libraries like Alicia Keys
IK Multimedia
everything including T-Racks 3 for mixing & mastering none of it is 64bit yet all works perfectly well through Bitbridge
Line 6 POD XT Live for guitar hardware.
iZotope
Ozone 4 and Alloy for channel fx processing, RX for restoration work

I'm waiting on EWQL's Goliath; my first iLok software but a step up in orchestral instrument samples as well as the Bosendorfer 290 piano

I don't use any of Cakewalks new 64 bit plugins at all nor do I use any of the Cakewalk instruments except for z3ta +. I want Cake to concentrate on the DAW. I already have 3rd party plugins for all the other stuff.

I'd love to get my teeth into a project that could bring my computer to its knees but its not happening yet.

I wonder though what EWQL will do along with an iLok?? Stay tuned.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:49:00 (permalink)
mike_mccue

eratu,

Please let me add one thing. I am very grateful that you share the results of all the work you do with us. That is incredibly generous.

all the best,
mike

PS mudgel, I really enjoyed reading your post about stepping back occasionally... I was staring at my acoustic all day yesterday. :-)

Thanks, Mike. I'm also being a little selfish when I do go on seemingly ad nauseum (yes, I know, it's who I am, I just accept it) -- I'm working through the issues and I appreciate the thought-provoking responses I get. There are a lot of really decent and knowledgeable guys here, and just hashing it out sometimes inspires a new idea to try.

I already feel like I understand my technical "problems" better... at least on a macro big-picture level. I am formulating workarounds... trying to avoid turning into "the old dog who can't learn new tricks." :) Thank you for your input!

eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:56:36 (permalink)
Crg

In other words, I'm feeling that even though I may have a 100% x64 project set up (as in, all the plugins are x64), that if I have too many plugins that are DIFFERENT, things can get strange.

Even in X64 I'd have to point the finger at processor scheduling and memory address's. Software is built a certain way and hardware has limits as to what it can process. I don't know what kind of machine you're using, 4 core, 2 core, 8 core. Or how many Gb of ram you have but eventually you're going to reach the limit of what your machine can process in the proper time frame. I think you'd have the same problem in X86.

All true, can't disagree with you. Re: what equipment I'm running/testing/tweaking -- variety of machines and audio hardware, pretty much the full gamut that current studios would use. Main DAW is currently an i7 + 12G RAM, just like gazillions of other folks here. Backup DAW is a dual socket xeon penryn, etc. (Actually, in some ways more powerful than the i7)... But yes, things get strange on all my machines at some point, and indeed that could happen under x86 as well. <sigh> Now I want to go bang my head against the wall. ;)
Crg
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 09:05:02 (permalink)
eratu

Crg

All true, can't disagree with you. Re: what equipment I'm running/testing/tweaking -- variety of machines and audio hardware, pretty much the full gamut that current studios would use. Main DAW is currently an i7 + 12G RAM, just like gazillions of other folks here. Backup DAW is a dual socket xeon penryn, etc. (Actually, in some ways more powerful than the i7)... But yes, things get strange on all my machines at some point, and indeed that could happen under x86 as well. <sigh> Now I want to go bang my head against the wall. ;)

Those are two huge machines. ( not jealous at all really) But you have to admit, that's lot of huge plugins to be running at same time. Wouldn't we like a machine that scales itself to an infinite load?

Craig DuBuc
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 09:11:04 (permalink)
mudgel

I'm taking so long to write my posts that I'm not connecting with the right people.

eratu: admit it go on. YOU ARE REALLY GREEDY. where did you get the idea that could have your cake and eat it too. hang on! Why would you even want a cake if you couldn't eat it?

Technology makes us greedy, do more in less time, do better more quickly etc. etc.

I certainly haven't had projects that pushed your kind of limits but i don't use Omnishere or Wave arts stuff and the like either.

after lots of experimenting I find I get predictably stable results usingas many of the following as I like: I'd say i wouldn't have atrack count go over 80 or so and no more than 100 plugin instances synths or fx

I've also found that I've benfitted form using the whole "kit" from one software developer, in my case as follows.
Yellow tools
Independence 2.5 with all the instruments that load through it,
Toontrack -
All the SD2 packs MIDI's the lot
Native Instruments
KOMPLETE 7, and several other NI libraries like Alicia Keys
IK Multimedia
everything including T-Racks 3 for mixing & mastering none of it is 64bit yet all works perfectly well through Bitbridge
Line 6 POD XT Live for guitar hardware.
iZotope
Ozone 4 and Alloy for channel fx processing, RX for restoration work

I'm waiting on EWQL's Goliath; my first iLok software but a step up in orchestral instrument samples as well as the Bosendorfer 290 piano

I don't use any of Cakewalks new 64 bit plugins at all nor do I use any of the Cakewalk instruments except for z3ta +. I want Cake to concentrate on the DAW. I already have 3rd party plugins for all the other stuff.

I'd love to get my teeth into a project that could bring my computer to its knees but its not happening yet.

I wonder though what EWQL will do along with an iLok?? Stay tuned.

Haha! I'm with you there in theory. I especially agree about centralizing around bundles... I've been trying to centralize around NI (i.e.: Kontakt), Spectrasonics, WaveArts and FabFilter... and a couple others... I own the usual suspects too, like Ozone 4, etc. I own many other plugins, but for meat and potatoes, I try to build projects on those since they cover 80-90% of what I do. I have been frustrated by Arturia lately... I love their sound, but I feel like they just don't squash bugs fast enough... but I guess they are pretty important to me too. I do own some PLAY-based libraries, which initially gave me all sorts of massive headaches, but now seem to behave better. (I'm used to the iLok thing due to other plugins I own, plus Pro Tools, so have no fear, EWQL PLAY+iLok is a fact of life).

BTW, Jose is really, really knowledgeable when it comes to PLAY and Sonar. If you ever run into problems with PLAY + Sonar, you can trust his advice. (Sorry, Jose, if I just increased your message load! LOL!)

Also, sadly, I have completely stopped using Cakewalk's x64 VI plugins. I had too many problems initially with getting Dimension Pro and Rapture LE to install/work/sound properly in Win 7 x64 with Sonar x64 (not to mention other x64 DAWs) that I lost faith in them. I was also pretty damn annoyed about the tuning issues with some patches. That was not acceptable for me, to be frank. They are really great in potential, but I feel like they have been neglected in x64. What the heck has Rene been up to? Don't get me started... Maybe there have been updates in X1, who knows?
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 09:16:20 (permalink)
Crg

But you have to admit, that's lot of huge plugins to be running at same time. Wouldn't we like a machine that scales itself to an infinite load?

Yes and.... YES!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why I think the current computer hardware technology is actually outstripping the software developers... at least recently. I have had a really hard time maxing out either of those machines... the problem I see is that the software hasn't fully taken advantage of that hardware yet. And when I get close to the limits, things get wonky with the software.... some plugin -- even from really reputable developers -- could be the issue. Grrrrrrrrrr....

I think I need to simplify, simplify, simplify... that's why I'm thinking of finally building everything on top of VE Pro to spread things around. Latency and track performance no longer seem like huge issues... it's all about stability now! 
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 10:36:54 (permalink)
With respect to Dim Pro - there's been mention from Brandon, Seth or Robin that after the X1 release there will be a free update to address the tuning issues hooray.
Just an acknowledgement a good while ago that it was even a problem would instill some faith and saved a lot of wasted and frustrating posts about the problem. Anywhoo!

We seem to be heading down a similar path with respect to software (though probably most of us are ) i've been looking at Pro Tools 9 as well and seeing as I'll be dongled in a few days I guess the last hurdle will be removed..

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
dontletmedrown
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1722
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 11:21:42 (permalink)
I'm using Sonar 8.5 x86 on Win 7 64-bit and loving it.  My system is working better than it ever has before-- more info here.  Even though I've built my own systems for over a decade, I'm quite sick of playing tech/beta tester so I haven't messed with the Sonarx64 version at all other than quickly popping it open and having a look around. 

I'm in the middle of a project right now and x86 works so well, I don't feel any immediate need to explore Sonarx64.  All of my plug-ins are working in x86 and the only crash I've experienced involved Slate Digital FG-X which I'm able to avoid with a simple workaround (hit play after bouncing).  Yesterday I worked on music for 11 hours with absolutely NO system interruptions-- something that was near impossible using this same system on XP32-bit.  Never been happier using my DAW!
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 11:55:03 (permalink)
FWIW I use Sonar 8.5 32bit in Windows 7 64bit.  For my large libraries I use jBridge to run them in the 32bit Sonar.  I've had a lot less problems (but still some) using it this was as opposed to usinging BitBridge to have 32bit plugs in sonar 64bit.
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 12:14:02 (permalink)
dontletmedrown

I'm using Sonar 8.5 x86 on Win 7 64-bit and loving it.  My system is working better than it ever has before-- more info here.  Even though I've built my own systems for over a decade, I'm quite sick of playing tech/beta tester so I haven't messed with the Sonarx64 version at all other than quickly popping it open and having a look around. 

I'm in the middle of a project right now and x86 works so well, I don't feel any immediate need to explore Sonarx64.  All of my plug-ins are working in x86 and the only crash I've experienced involved Slate Digital FG-X which I'm able to avoid with a simple workaround (hit play after bouncing).  Yesterday I worked on music for 11 hours with absolutely NO system interruptions-- something that was near impossible using this same system on XP32-bit.  Never been happier using my DAW!

Yes, with you about better stability than ever before. For me, it depends on the size and complexity of the project, then something (DAW, plugin, Windows, who knows?!) will cause the session to start to get goofy with me.... just enough to bug me. Most of the time I'm in great shape, and a week or two ago if you caught me I'd be saying how I hadn't had a single serious issue in months of DAW bliss with countless hours of audio production going on.

But yes, I am definitely questioning being 100% x64 now... I want more, more, more stability, dammit! But then again, I have also had many long sessions where it just keeps ticking, so I feel like I'm complaining over a comparatively good situation... this is still better than XP was... but on the other hand, can't we just get a config that does everything that it says it will do and never, ever break down!? ;) So that's a fantasy...
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 12:21:53 (permalink)
vintagevibe

FWIW I use Sonar 8.5 32bit in Windows 7 64bit.  For my large libraries I use jBridge to run them in the 32bit Sonar.  I've had a lot less problems (but still some) using it this was as opposed to usinging BitBridge to have 32bit plugs in sonar 64bit.

Thanks for this info... glad to hear someone is thinking along the same lines re: using an external process to host sample-hungry plugins. I was thinking VE Pro, but jBridge is definitely an option and can do that on the same machine. I have used jBridge quite a bit as a bridge from x64 to x86, but haven't tested it much x86 to x86 or x86 to x64, which it can also do (very, very cool feature). What sampler VIs are you using? Kontakt, PLAY, etc? What versions? Are you bridging to the x64 versions of the plugins, or doing x86 to x86? Any strange behavior, notes, thoughts, red flags, tips?

post edited by eratu - 2010/11/21 12:27:47
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 13:01:55 (permalink)
eratu

vintagevibe

Thanks for this info... glad to hear someone is thinking along the same lines re: using an external process to host sample-hungry plugins. I was thinking VE Pro, but jBridge is definitely an option and can do that on the same machine. I have used jBridge quite a bit as a bridge from x64 to x86, but haven't tested it much x86 to x86 or x86 to x64, which it can also do (very, very cool feature). What sampler VIs are you using? Kontakt, PLAY, etc? What versions? Are you bridging to the x64 versions of the plugins, or doing x86 to x86? Any strange behavior, notes, thoughts, red flags, tips?
My memory intensive apps are Kontakt, Play and Battery - all latest versions.  I also have Sampltank and Garritan Steinway Basic jBridged.  I do get some hangs from time to time but far less than BitBridge w/64bit Sonar.  I havent had time to narrow the problems down but I am productive.  I have an Intel Quad Core Q6600 O/C'ed @ 3.00 ghz w/8 gigs RAM.  MBoard is Abit.

eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 14:06:10 (permalink)
Really good to know, thank you, vintage! I also use Kontakt, PLAY and Battery, but no Sampletank and Garritan. I'm definitely going to experiment in the next few weeks with alternate configs, including with VE Pro some more. Just in time for Sonar X1. :)

I have a feeling I can get a more stable environment with my complex projects. As it is, I can slam this main system seemingly endlessly, as long as I keep the complexity to sane levels. If I've moved some of the heavy load off the main DAW process/threads or even CPU altogether (with networked VE Pro), it *might* let me scale up even more. We shall see.... :)
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 17:48:00 (permalink)
And so the thread has been moved. Hello, Computers section! :)
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 18:27:25 (permalink)
eratu

I made the wholesale switch to x64 on my main DAW and now even on my backup DAW -- I've been basically thrilled until recently... as I've been slamming my projects with more and more plugins, I've noticed some strange things begin to happen.

For example, the other day I had a project with >4GB RAM used (very typical, with many instances of Omnisphere x64, Kontakt x64, etc.) and when I opened a WaveArts plugin (also x64), the plugin interface didn't show up in some of the instances. When I removed several instances of Omnisphere I got the interfaces of the WaveArts plugins back. How strange is that?

Now, I haven't diagnosed it fully yet, and I will be contacting WaveArts (and perhaps Spectrasonics) about it when I get a breather, but of all the things to give me trouble, those were among the last ones I'd think of. Again, this is really preliminary, and I don't know the culprit yet -- could be Sonar for all I know right now --  but this is not the only thing that's been a bit strange.

In general, I've found that if my projects contain tons of different plugins (quantity and variety) -- even really high-quality plugins that I trust and hammer day in and day out -- things can get a little unpredictable.

What's very interesting to me is that when I keep the TYPE of plugin consistent -- i.e. -- if I load up >4GB of Kontakt x64 with many instances, I'm good... on light, medium and heavy loads, so it's not the amount of RAM that is issue, nor is it the CPU load, drivers, etc... it's really only the number AND variety of plugins that cause strangeness...

So, without going into more detail, I'm wondering if some of the x64 plugins are just not as fully-baked as their x86 equivalents... leading to more subtle, very hard to track issues when used in combination with many other plugins simultaneously. See, I thinking DAW developers and plugin developers are not hammering their test suites with enough plugin varieties to test for subtle issues once the load gets way up there...

I also did a breakdown of my memory usage patterns, and basically, the only time I go over 3GB RAM usage (which is quite often -- almost every serious mix or project now) is when I use sample-based products like Kontakt, PLAY or Spectrasonics plugins. If I create a super-complex session WITHOUT those types of memory-hungry plugins, I can almost always stay under 3GB usage, and things seem more stable...

Which made me realize that I could theoretically use VE Pro as my sample-based plugin host all the time, instead of trying to make Sonar x64 (or Cubase x64, etc.) do all the heavy lifting.

So in other words, I'm contemplating moving to the following combo:

I'd stick with Win 7 x64, but instead of running Sonar x64 and Cubase x64, I would install the x86 versions plus finally start using VE Pro, which can then host the sample-based plugins on the same computer AND networked computers. Voila! Best of both worlds... maybe.

This might give me more oomph and less strangeness than I'm currently getting. Or maybe not.... I'm definitely interested in people's opinions who have tried something like this.

I'm also wondering if anyone else has considered these issues, and what benefits/issues you might have researched.

The other bonus of this is that I'll be able to run Reaktor again (which just doesn't seem to work 100% right all the time in both Sonar x64 or Cubase x64 with any of the bridges, no matter what people may say), plus a few other goodies I kinda miss.

Now before anyone wastes time trying to troubleshoot hardware, the system is tested and solid. No issues there.

Maybe this is also a query about the general state of x64. While it's better than ever -- I freely admit to that as an x64 convert -- I just wonder if we're still not really there yet?

Maybe we are there, and I have to just live with the little issues and find workarounds?

Hey
I got my new computer this week,and I'm also working on 64 platform now.Some plugins I can't use at all,like WAVES - but I can still use them in 32 bit mode. Also though maybe not related I get messages when I load samples into Eastwests Colossus - along the lines of "system is running low on memory,loading more samples may cause your system to be unstable" Never had this before on last system,and my new computer is more powerful than the last one,so I'm thinking this could be a problem with compactibility ?? Kinda sucks anyway lol ! You mention Spectrasonics in your post.I'm using Stylus,and on the project I'm working on at the moment (the same one with the colossus messages) if I try to load two instances it crashes.However when I open a new project with no Colossus plugins running I can open multiple instances of Stylus with no problem.Are you having similiar problems ? I feel your pain lol !!!!!
Kev

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 18:29:32 (permalink)
vintagevibe

So, you are able to access all your ram using Jbridge ?
I didn't think you could do this with 32 bit sonar/64 bit win7. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

spinlock_1977
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 426
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 18:41:47 (permalink)
eratu

I made the wholesale switch to x64 on my main DAW and now even on my backup DAW -- I've been basically thrilled until recently... as I've been slamming my projects with more and more plugins, I've noticed some strange things begin to happen.

For example, the other day I had a project with >4GB RAM used (very typical, with many instances of Omnisphere x64, Kontakt x64, etc.) and when I opened a WaveArts plugin (also x64), the plugin interface didn't show up in some of the instances. When I removed several instances of Omnisphere I got the interfaces of the WaveArts plugins back. How strange is that?

Now, I haven't diagnosed it fully yet, and I will be contacting WaveArts (and perhaps Spectrasonics) about it when I get a breather, but of all the things to give me trouble, those were among the last ones I'd think of. Again, this is really preliminary, and I don't know the culprit yet -- could be Sonar for all I know right now --  but this is not the only thing that's been a bit strange.

In general, I've found that if my projects contain tons of different plugins (quantity and variety) -- even really high-quality plugins that I trust and hammer day in and day out -- things can get a little unpredictable.

What's very interesting to me is that when I keep the TYPE of plugin consistent -- i.e. -- if I load up >4GB of Kontakt x64 with many instances, I'm good... on light, medium and heavy loads, so it's not the amount of RAM that is issue, nor is it the CPU load, drivers, etc... it's really only the number AND variety of plugins that cause strangeness...

So, without going into more detail, I'm wondering if some of the x64 plugins are just not as fully-baked as their x86 equivalents... leading to more subtle, very hard to track issues when used in combination with many other plugins simultaneously. See, I thinking DAW developers and plugin developers are not hammering their test suites with enough plugin varieties to test for subtle issues once the load gets way up there...

I also did a breakdown of my memory usage patterns, and basically, the only time I go over 3GB RAM usage (which is quite often -- almost every serious mix or project now) is when I use sample-based products like Kontakt, PLAY or Spectrasonics plugins. If I create a super-complex session WITHOUT those types of memory-hungry plugins, I can almost always stay under 3GB usage, and things seem more stable...

Which made me realize that I could theoretically use VE Pro as my sample-based plugin host all the time, instead of trying to make Sonar x64 (or Cubase x64, etc.) do all the heavy lifting.

So in other words, I'm contemplating moving to the following combo:

I'd stick with Win 7 x64, but instead of running Sonar x64 and Cubase x64, I would install the x86 versions plus finally start using VE Pro, which can then host the sample-based plugins on the same computer AND networked computers. Voila! Best of both worlds... maybe.

This might give me more oomph and less strangeness than I'm currently getting. Or maybe not.... I'm definitely interested in people's opinions who have tried something like this.

I'm also wondering if anyone else has considered these issues, and what benefits/issues you might have researched.

The other bonus of this is that I'll be able to run Reaktor again (which just doesn't seem to work 100% right all the time in both Sonar x64 or Cubase x64 with any of the bridges, no matter what people may say), plus a few other goodies I kinda miss.

Now before anyone wastes time trying to troubleshoot hardware, the system is tested and solid. No issues there.

Maybe this is also a query about the general state of x64. While it's better than ever -- I freely admit to that as an x64 convert -- I just wonder if we're still not really there yet?

Maybe we are there, and I have to just live with the little issues and find workarounds?

I've complained about this before - no luck.  Switched back to 32-bit myself (still Windows 7/64 though).  For me, it started with one plug in one project, then a few projects, then a few plugs... eventually 50% of my plugins weren't showing.  Cakewalk support suggested re-installing the software (impressive).  I saw maybe one other person in these forums with the same problem - it's quite rare.

Music:  WarrenSpencer1977.com 
Visit my blog:   www.GeekCrumbs.com

Crg
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 19:22:44 (permalink)
I want more, more, more

The cry of the DAW enthusiest goes on!

Craig DuBuc
Crg
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 19:26:41 (permalink)
I was thinking VE Pro

I tried to look up VE Pro but I didn't find anything relating to music or DAW's. To be more precise, I didn't see anything relating to plugin organization and storage. Who makes it?

Craig DuBuc
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 20:28:48 (permalink)

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Crg
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 06:37:51 (permalink)
I was under the impression he was refering to a plugin hosting setup of some sort. ??

Eratu?

Craig DuBuc
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 08:32:22 (permalink)
Eratu,

a few comments.
we only recommend win 7 64 at this point (aside from a very few circumstances)
we used to install Sonar 32 and 64 now we just do 64 (Cubase is still both)

however have you tried this.

Sonar 32bit on win7 64 and then use VE Pro?

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 08:32:31 (permalink)
kev11111111111111

when I load samples into Eastwests Colossus - along the lines of "system is running low on memory,loading more samples may cause your system to be unstable"

Yeah, this happens to a lot of us -- you're using the bundled plugin, which is really old, and not supported any more, sadly. The plugin itself is old, but the samples are still excellent and totally usable, though. What you can do is use Kontakt 4, which will load the authorized libraries you have, without those errors. Kontakt 4 is also available as a native x64 plugin, so it's really worth the upgrade if you haven't already done so.

Alternatively, you can upgrade your Colossus to the PLAY version, which is called Goliath, which actually comes with some extra samples as well. I didn't bother upgrading to Goliath since Colossus works just fine in Kontakt 4.
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 08:35:30 (permalink)
timidi

vintagevibe

So, you are able to access all your ram using Jbridge ?
I didn't think you could do this with 32 bit sonar/64 bit win7. 

Yes. jBridge allows bridging 32-32, 32-64, 64-32 and 64-64. It runs the plugins in a separate process so it will have its own memory space. Its most common use is 64-32, but it's the only bridge that will do all those cool options. Worth every penny, even for the fun of trying out those other options.
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 08:55:53 (permalink)
Crg

I was under the impression he was refering to a plugin hosting setup of some sort. ??

Eratu?

Yes, VE Pro is, in one sense, a plugin hosting environment.

http://vsl.co.at/en/211/497/537/1456/1083.htm

http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/

But it's much more than that. In the most basic sense, VE Pro is comprised of two components. The VE Pro server and the VE Pro plugin.

You load up your VE Pro server separately, which presents you with a mixer. Inside the mixer, you can instantiate plugins, which VE Pro will host. So it's a VST plugin host/app/mixer.

THEN, you load up your DAW (i.e.: Sonar) and use the VE Pro plugin, which is a very simple plugin that routes audio and MIDI to the VE Pro server, which then can communicate with all the VST plugins you've loaded in VE Pro's mixer.

Hope that makes sense. It's quite brilliant.

Now, here's where the magic comes in. It allows you to run more than one VE Pro server on more than one computer and the VE Pro plugins will communicate with each individual VE Pro server -- even over your LAN. :) Now you can see why this is so cool. It can allow you to create huge server farms of computers if you want to.

In the most basic usage scenario on ONE computer, though, you run VE Pro server side-by-side your DAW... so that's two application processes and each can access their own memory space on an x64 OS.

In other words, you can use it for bridging as well, and take advantage of extra memory.

Anyway, if you haven't tried it out, I suggest you get the demo. I've been thinking of building all my big templates on VE Pro, and I'm almost to that point now.

eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 09:16:40 (permalink)
jcschild

Eratu,

a few comments.
we only recommend win 7 64 at this point (aside from a very few circumstances)
we used to install Sonar 32 and 64 now we just do 64 (Cubase is still both)

however have you tried this.

Sonar 32bit on win7 64 and then use VE Pro?

Hi Scott, Yeah, with you there. This is the type of scenario I'm thinking of moving to completely. Yes, I've tried Sonar and Cubase 32-bit versions with VE Pro, and it works surprisingly well, even across a gigabit LAN... frankly, I love it. I just have held off committing to VE Pro for my projects since I was getting so much out of pure x64, and thought I could just keep going, going, going. I was really trying to stick with 100% pure x64.

Unfortunately, I'm having doubts now and I'm re-thinking my whole workflow. VE Pro is now definitely back on the table and I'm going to run some workflow tests soon. Part of the problem is me... :) I've fallen into the trap of going beginning-to-end on big projects when I should reconsider and separate out the creative steps more. I'm guilty of doing a mastering pass right on the main project too often... But that's only part of the problem...

My projects often exceed 100 tracks and 200 plugins (easily, that's just the beginning) and honestly, pure x64 DAW apps -- including Sonar, Cubase and Reaper, just don't seem as stable when I load them up with a large *variety* of plugins.... if I keep it very simple and keep just a handful of the same family of plugins or focus around a couple of bundles (even with tons of instances) I'm usually okay. I've got that down pretty tight now and my systems are really solid. HOWEVER, when I start adding a *variety* of plugins (similar number of instances... just different plugins), once the plugin and track count pass a fuzzy threshold of 100/200-ish, things start to misbehave or get funky.

So, I'm thinking of fine-tuning both my creative workflow (so I don't do silly things like master while composing), as well as my technical workflow.

As for the technical workflow, yes, I'm definitely taking a hard look at building my big templates on top of VE Pro, and then running the x86 versions of the DAW apps (Sonar, Cubase, PT9, Reaper). :) I have a feeling that *might* give me the best of both worlds.

I just don't think x64 is really all there yet. I feel plugin and DAW developers are just simply not testing hard enough yet... when you get really complex, big projects with lots of third-party plugins, more quirks tend to pop up.  That's my experience so far.

I know you do a lot of consulting with people -- are you still getting good feedback on VE Pro? I haven't run it for months, and I know there were issues with PLAY (supposedly resolved) and a few others...

I'm just wondering if I'm trading one set of problems for another. Haha! :)

post edited by eratu - 2010/11/22 09:20:10
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 10:23:38 (permalink)
eratu

kev11111111111111

when I load samples into Eastwests Colossus - along the lines of "system is running low on memory,loading more samples may cause your system to be unstable"

Yeah, this happens to a lot of us -- you're using the bundled plugin, which is really old, and not supported any more, sadly. The plugin itself is old, but the samples are still excellent and totally usable, though. What you can do is use Kontakt 4, which will load the authorized libraries you have, without those errors. Kontakt 4 is also available as a native x64 plugin, so it's really worth the upgrade if you haven't already done so.

Alternatively, you can upgrade your Colossus to the PLAY version, which is called Goliath, which actually comes with some extra samples as well. I didn't bother upgrading to Goliath since Colossus works just fine in Kontakt 4.
I'll have to look in using Kontakt 4...I imagine its not free though ? lol !! No I don't want to upgrade to Goliath,cos I promised myself I'm not spending any more money on PLAY ! I'm most likely to invest in a keyboard workstation,you know something which covers the basics - bass,synths,etc. This is the original reason why I bought the Colossus program in the first place to cover this stuff. It does have some good sounds for sure yeah,so thats a shame to lose them....but hey thats life ?!!!!!
Sounds like you're still having a hard time with your system - hope you get it sorted soon,these things can be a royal pain in the ass- !!!!
Kev
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1