Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64...

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
2010/11/20 21:48:12 (permalink)

Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64...

I made the wholesale switch to x64 on my main DAW and now even on my backup DAW -- I've been basically thrilled until recently... as I've been slamming my projects with more and more plugins, I've noticed some strange things begin to happen.

For example, the other day I had a project with >4GB RAM used (very typical, with many instances of Omnisphere x64, Kontakt x64, etc.) and when I opened a WaveArts plugin (also x64), the plugin interface didn't show up in some of the instances. When I removed several instances of Omnisphere I got the interfaces of the WaveArts plugins back. How strange is that?

Now, I haven't diagnosed it fully yet, and I will be contacting WaveArts (and perhaps Spectrasonics) about it when I get a breather, but of all the things to give me trouble, those were among the last ones I'd think of. Again, this is really preliminary, and I don't know the culprit yet -- could be Sonar for all I know right now --  but this is not the only thing that's been a bit strange.

In general, I've found that if my projects contain tons of different plugins (quantity and variety) -- even really high-quality plugins that I trust and hammer day in and day out -- things can get a little unpredictable.

What's very interesting to me is that when I keep the TYPE of plugin consistent -- i.e. -- if I load up >4GB of Kontakt x64 with many instances, I'm good... on light, medium and heavy loads, so it's not the amount of RAM that is issue, nor is it the CPU load, drivers, etc... it's really only the number AND variety of plugins that cause strangeness...

In other words, I'm feeling that even though I may have a 100% x64 project set up (as in, all the plugins are x64), that if I have too many plugins that are DIFFERENT, things can get strange.

So, without going into more detail, I'm wondering if some of the x64 plugins are just not as fully-baked as their x86 equivalents... leading to more subtle, very hard to track issues when used in combination with many other plugins simultaneously. See, I thinking DAW developers and plugin developers are not hammering their test suites with enough plugin varieties to test for subtle issues once the load gets way up there...

I also did a breakdown of my memory usage patterns, and basically, the only time I go over 3GB RAM usage (which is quite often -- almost every serious mix or project now) is when I use sample-based products like Kontakt, PLAY or Spectrasonics plugins. If I create a super-complex session WITHOUT those types of memory-hungry plugins, I can almost always stay under 3GB usage, and things seem more stable...

Which made me realize that I could theoretically use VE Pro as my sample-based plugin host all the time, instead of trying to make Sonar x64 (or Cubase x64, etc.) do all the heavy lifting.

So in other words, I'm contemplating moving to the following combo:

I'd stick with Win 7 x64, but instead of running Sonar x64 and Cubase x64, I would install the x86 versions plus finally start using VE Pro, which can then host the sample-based plugins on the same computer AND networked computers. Voila! Best of both worlds... maybe.

This might give me more oomph and less strangeness than I'm currently getting. Or maybe not.... I'm definitely interested in people's opinions who have tried something like this.

I'm also wondering if anyone else has considered these issues, and what benefits/issues you might have researched.

The other bonus of this is that I'll be able to run Reaktor again (which just doesn't seem to work 100% right all the time in both Sonar x64 or Cubase x64 with any of the bridges, no matter what people may say), plus a few other goodies I kinda miss.

Now before anyone wastes time trying to troubleshoot hardware, the system is tested and solid. No issues there.

Maybe this is also a query about the general state of x64. While it's better than ever -- I freely admit to that as an x64 convert -- I just wonder if we're still not really there yet?

Maybe we are there, and I have to just live with the little issues and find workarounds?

81 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/20 22:42:15 (permalink)
    Eratu,

I can't speak for the 64bit platform as I have consciously stayed in 32bit _for now_.

I CAN say, however, that I get some weird graphical issues as well (as you point out in your post) even in 32bit land.

Like you, I'm not sure where the problem is ...  ie, is it the host (Sonar in this case), or the plugin, or the particular combination of plugins.   This remains a mystery.   But it happens.

I say this just because going "back" may not be an answer either.   So it's worth thinking about. 

And, although you don't want to hear anything about hardware, I would at least suggest a memory test as memory has been known to go - even on good systems.

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/11/20 22:43:45

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/20 22:54:28 (permalink)
    Although I can't reliably use my beloved Sound Toys...and I do get occassional CTD from my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (whose 64 bit drivers are over a year old)...and do have the ocassional oddball hangup.  I WOULDN'T GO BACK TO 32 BIT FOR LOVE NOR MONEY!  Faster, at least as... if not more... stable, can run multiple instances of anything with headroom to spare (12 gigs memory helps!!) and with fully 90% of my plugins running hot straight and normal I'm never going backwards.  Onwards and upwards, ol pal.  Don't look back.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/20 23:05:36 (permalink)
    yorolpal

Although I can't reliably use my beloved Sound Toys...and I do get occassional CTD from my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (whose 64 bit drivers are over a year old)...and do have the ocassional oddball hangup.  I WOULDN'T GO BACK TO 32 BIT FOR LOVE NOR MONEY!  Faster, at least as... if not more... stable, can run multiple instances of anything with headroom to spare (12 gigs memory helps!!) and with fully 90% of my plugins running hot straight and normal I'm never going backwards.  Onwards and upwards, ol pal.  Don't look back.

That reminds me of an old saying, Ol Pal:

"Go up or go down, but never go back".

Unless you forgot your keys

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

chrisharbin
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/20 23:08:52 (permalink)
    (cue boston)

I really don't know if it's an x64 thing or not. I've switched, and that's it. I don't care what system you have, what you use, how it's used, or even WHEN it's used.....issues occur. 

You'll forgive, but it sounds allot like a needle in a haystack as far as knowing for sure what it is.

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 05:43:18 (permalink)
    chrisharbin

(cue boston)

I really don't know if it's an x64 thing or not. I've switched, and that's it. I don't care what system you have, what you use, how it's used, or even WHEN it's used.....issues occur. 

You'll forgive, but it sounds allot like a needle in a haystack as far as knowing for sure what it is.

Ya know, Chris... .when I take the full 64bit plunge on my DAW, I'll feel the same.  I go or I don't.  If I go... I'll work it through.  That really is the point for me.

And we can all whine/****/moan about many things... but as long as we can actually make music (which might take some effort), such is life.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 06:02:14 (permalink)
    When I first went to x64 i ran with a dual boot of XP PRO SP3 and VISTA Ultimate x64 SP2.

I've now scrapped Xp as I've haven't used it in a year.

Now my dilemma is with WIN7 x64. I've setup my previous partition with WIN 7 ultimate x64 but even with just the OS installed I don't get anywhere near the DPC latency on Win 7 that I get on VISTA.

I've read many stories of issues migrating to WIN 7 x64 coming from XP so i'm in no hurry to commit to Win 7 just yet.

It's just that since SP2 for VISTA came out I've never once crashed anything on my machine. I also have a built for Min 7 64 laptop with an i7 processor and 8 GIG of RAM. My WIN 7 laptop isn't as clean and stable as my VISTA DAW - go figure

that

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:23:16 (permalink)
    This is all interesting to me as I'm teetering on the edge of an OS upgrade. My main DAW (still on XP) has become really unstable and I figure if I'm going to go through the whole clean install thing it's kind of silly to do it on XP again at this stage in the game. 

I will likely put in a fresh drive and install whatever it is on that, leave the current install there until such time as I port everything over and get it running smoothly. 

My question to the more informed folks here is, what OS version/flavour should I be installing on a system that's a few years old (Q6600, 4g RAM) at this point? I have no experience with x64 at all, and I have a few things that i'm kind of attached to (notably Reaktor) that I gather are not x64 native yet. However, I am definitely interested in bringing things a bit more up to date and if x64 will improve system speed and/or stability, I'm all for it. 

Suggestions and advice are most welcome, hope this doesn't hijack the thread or anything. 

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:35:10 (permalink)
    subtlearts

This is all interesting to me as I'm teetering on the edge of an OS upgrade. My main DAW (still on XP) has become really unstable and I figure if I'm going to go through the whole clean install thing it's kind of silly to do it on XP again at this stage in the game. 

I will likely put in a fresh drive and install whatever it is on that, leave the current install there until such time as I port everything over and get it running smoothly. 

My question to the more informed folks here is, what OS version/flavour should I be installing on a system that's a few years old (Q6600, 4g RAM) at this point? I have no experience with x64 at all, and I have a few things that i'm kind of attached to (notably Reaktor) that I gather are not x64 native yet. However, I am definitely interested in bringing things a bit more up to date and if x64 will improve system speed and/or stability, I'm all for it. 

Suggestions and advice are most welcome, hope this doesn't hijack the thread or anything. 
    As I've said many times on this forum --- I'm no expert with 64bit OS YET.  I have 3 laptops all with Windows 7 pro on it.  I'm in the IT biz for a number of years as well as a musician -- so it's not like I have no clue.

From ALL I gather, though - it's just about what works and what doesn't.  Specifically drivers and plugins.  Sonar works, that we know.  It was a leader in the 64bit arena.  But not everyone else is.

When I take the plunge (no doubt in 2011), I will do it this way:

KEEP my current, fine, smooth, working nicely system.  So when I'm tired of learning/struggling, I can still make music.

Then I will build a new machine the way I want it to be... and dive in.  Make the mistakes.  Learn from others (anyone who thinks THIS forum isn't helpful is crazy).  And like everything else in life, I will learn -- even if slowly -- what I need, what it needs, etc.

My point being.  When we go for something, we just go.  Don't fight it - when it happens.

Or as I used to say:  "Get into it, not out of it" ;)

Just don't put yourself in a position where you can't make music.  Have a backup plan. 

But it seems many are doing fine.... so shall we if we struggle through it.

Just get us a few more hours in the day ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:35:19 (permalink)
    eratu

I made the wholesale switch to x64 on my main DAW and now even on my backup DAW -- I've been basically thrilled until recently... as I've been slamming my projects with more and more plugins, I've noticed some strange things begin to happen.

For example, the other day I had a project with >4GB RAM used (very typical, with many instances of Omnisphere x64, Kontakt x64, etc.) and when I opened a WaveArts plugin (also x64), the plugin interface didn't show up in some of the instances. When I removed several instances of Omnisphere I got the interfaces of the WaveArts plugins back. How strange is that?

Has nothing to do with x64bit. Your Microsoft Runtime Redistributable doesn't run correctly.

http://www.microsoft.com/...4b40-8c14-157cfdffee4e

http://wavearts.com/uploads/files/vcredist_x64.exe

Be aware of that the installer pack will not cure Technofobia!
    post edited by Freddie H - 2010/11/21 07:39:01

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:38:09 (permalink)
    Freddie H

eratu

Has nothing to do with x64bit. Your Microsoft Runtime Redistributable doesn't run correctly.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ba9257ca-337f-4b40-8c14-157cfdffee4e

You hit something important, Freddie.   WaveArts (a good plugin vendor) did have trouble with the redistrbutables for a while.  They fixed it, but it wasn't a very well publicized problem (which I'm sure we can understand).

So yea - I ran into issues with that too - so it's good you brought that up.
    BTW - it's nice to "see" you in "normal" fonts ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:39:39 (permalink)
    Thanks Billy!

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:45:24 (permalink)
    Freddie H

Thanks Billy!

Thank you too, Freddie :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:47:26 (permalink)
    ba_midi

Eratu,

I can't speak for the 64bit platform as I have consciously stayed in 32bit _for now_.

I CAN say, however, that I get some weird graphical issues as well (as you point out in your post) even in 32bit land.

Like you, I'm not sure where the problem is ...  ie, is it the host (Sonar in this case), or the plugin, or the particular combination of plugins.   This remains a mystery.   But it happens.

I say this just because going "back" may not be an answer either.   So it's worth thinking about. 

And, although you don't want to hear anything about hardware, I would at least suggest a memory test as memory has been known to go - even on good systems.

Thanks, Billy. Yeah, it is a mystery and that's what I hate having to deal with... I guess if I sit and recall my prior DAWs, this one has been one of the most stable, if not the most stable ever. I just want it even more stable... I'm greedy that way. :) But yes, memory tests out with Memtest86, Prime, etc... all good in that department. I always start there. It's something else... I wouldn't be surprised if it's Microsoft's fault.

eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:49:36 (permalink)
    yorolpal

Onwards and upwards, ol pal.  Don't look back.

That's how I felt two weeks ago... but now I'm having second thoughts. I just want to get work done without random craziness happening so I always think, "there must be a better way to do this!" -- so I keep an eye out for an even more stable workflow. But I guess I'll always have some issues. :)

mudgel
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:50:37 (permalink)
    I can tell you that I use KOMLETE 7 from NI and have no problem using Reaktor which is still 32 bit. I'm not the power user that eratu is so perhaps haven't hit limitations that are there (if they are there at all) but have no problem running a few instances of all the KOMPLETE instruments and haven't broken into a sweat as yet. I also use SupDrummer 2.2.2 and  Independence 2.5 along with all the IKM plugins for guitar/fx and or synths as well as Stealth pedal.
    Line 6 POD XT Live, Ozone 4, alloy, t-racks 3 for mxing and mastering. I haven't found a thing yet to stop things from working, no hanging, no blue screens nothing at all except 100% working no matter what.

I use SONAR 8.5.3 x64 on VISTA SP2 at this time with 12 GIG DDR3 RAM and a Quadra 3800 nVidia graphics card (1 GIG) Its a mid range pro graphics card for 3D work and video rendering. Takes a big load away from the CPU but no reall benefit when using a DAW.

all the IK Multimedioa lugins are 32 bit but all work through Bitbridge without a hitch.

most of the NI plugins are now 64 bit except Reaktor bit it works 100% that i can tell.

after having a safety fall back to XP 32bit available it turns out that in a year I've not even booted into that partition.

I'vve now scrapped it and have installed WIN 7 x64 and now debating moving from what os working so well to maybe giving WIN 7 a try. While I can run iot as a dual boot with my stable VISTA OS I'll stay woth that untill such timethat WIN 7 proves to be at least that stable.

but 64 bit all the way for me.

caveat: I have 1 program for which I need to use SONAR 32 bit. I have along history of working with and using JAMMER which sadly wont run in a 64 bit host so when I want to muck around with it I use SONAR 32 bit. For anything serious though I'm now x64 all the way; My use of VISTA x64 began only a few weeks before SP 2 was released so I hardly had anytime with the pre SP2 problems. Smooth sailing all the way.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:51:15 (permalink)
    chrisharbin

(cue boston)

Now that last statement I will have to totally agree with. Damn, you're right.
    ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:53:44 (permalink)
    eratu

ba_midi

Eratu,

Thanks, Billy. Yeah, it is a mystery and that's what I hate having to deal with... I guess if I sit and recall my prior DAWs, this one has been one of the most stable, if not the most stable ever. I just want it even more stable... I'm greedy that way. :) But yes, memory tests out with Memtest86, Prime, etc... all good in that department. I always start there. It's something else... I wouldn't be surprised if it's Microsoft's fault.

Haha... ok you brought out the skeptic in me :)   I always feel that when MS wants "everyone" to upgrade, they make sure it's so (wink wink).

But for those who are not conspiracy thinkers...  sorry :)

I think some of what you say , and I go through too , is that it can get tiring to deal with the 'technology" as opposed to just making music.   But, sad to say - we really don't have a choice.  Unless we're ready to quit.

Not me.  I bet not you too ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

mudgel
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:55:46 (permalink)
    What? freddie in "normal" fonts!

How will I recognise you? You're still on x64 right? Phew!

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:57:55 (permalink)
    eratu

yorolpal

Onwards and upwards, ol pal.  Don't look back.

That's how I felt two weeks ago... but now I'm having second thoughts. I just want to get work done without random craziness happening so I always think, "there must be a better way to do this!" -- so I keep an eye out for an even more stable workflow. But I guess I'll always have some issues. :)

Don't feel bad.  I'll tell you a story.

About 2 weeks ago I added a controller to my already abundant controllers (don't ask! lol) -- and all of a sudden, my very fine system has trouble booting (initializing the USB controllers).   So I thought -- hmm, the only thing I changed was this.  So I got yet ANOTHER controller.    SAME PROBLEM.

SO now, every time I boot - I unplug the one controller I decided to stick with until my system finishes "initializing USB devices".  It only takes a second - but annoying.

The reason?  I'm 100% sure it's because the motherboard just doesn't get it.  And since the mboard is about 2 or so years old - there's no way they're going to "update" it.   So I just live with this "waiting a minute to plug a thing back in" and then it's just fine.

Tiring.  Annnoying.  YUP.  But I get to make music shortly thereafter ;)

My point being.  We're stuck with dealing with this stuff.  The only other choice is ..what?  To give up?

Nah :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:58:14 (permalink)
    mudgel

but even with just the OS installed I don't get anywhere near the DPC latency on Win 7 that I get on VISTA.

DPC isn't all where it's at -- once you get below a certain threshold, you'll do fine. I've come to look at it as a marker for problems ONLY if it rises above a certain level and if it ever spikes... otherwise, as long as you have consistent DPC in the safe zone, you'll be okay. I have three systems up and running now as DAWs with Win 7 x64 Pro, and all can pull some wonderful low latency without issue, even though their DPC values are higher than what I could get with XP. If you can run your interface at the lowest audio driver latency without issue, that's ultimately what matters, right?

Remember, DPC is measured in microseconds... so even 100, 200, 300 microseconds is not going to have a notable impact on servicing the interrupt requirements of an interface at even 32, 48 or 64 sample buffer size (single-digit milliseconds), for example, if you have great drivers from places like Lynx, RME, etc... even my Focusrite stuff runs great at really low latencies on Win 7, and that stuff is using DICE II of all things.

post edited by eratu - 2010/11/21 08:01:08
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 07:59:49 (permalink)
    Eratu,
     My solution has always been to keep it simple. That is true when I work with hardware in my daily work or software in my studio.

That is one reason I enjoy those old Sonnitus plugins. They work great, sound ok, and I don't ever get myself in situation where I need all that much from them.

For example; I was thinking about side chains and multi band compressors yesterday and thought to myself... why not just use the correct microphone and then do a good job of mixing... who really needs all the extras?

I look forward to going all 64bit... but I'll still keep it simple.

best regards,
    mike

ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:01:24 (permalink)
    mudgel

What? freddie in "normal" fonts!

How will I recognise you? You're still on x64 right? Phew!

Maybe I'm crazy - but I like Freddie in normalcy :)   He always had a lot to offer (still does). 

I remember someone once said:

"You go into an important meeting but you have a stain or some stuff on your shirt...   the other person spends a lot more time focusing on the stain than your comments."

True that.  Ya know?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:03:40 (permalink)
    Freddie H

eratu

http://www.microsoft.com/...4b40-8c14-157cfdffee4e

Thank you for the heads up on this, Freddie, I will definitely look into it and mention it if I have to contact WaveArts for more info. They are a great little company and their stability and quality is why I keep using their excellent products.
    ba_midi
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:06:21 (permalink)
    eratu

Freddie H

eratu

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ba9257ca-337f-4b40-8c14-157cfdffee4e

Thank you for the heads up on this, Freddie, I will definitely look into it and mention it if I have to contact WaveArts for more info. They are a great little company and their stability and quality is why I keep using their excellent products.

+1.  WaveArts are very interactive with tech support.  Sometimes stunningly so.  Very good company, probably underrated too.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:07:14 (permalink)
    subtlearts

My question to the more informed folks here is, what OS version/flavour should I be installing on a system that's a few years old (Q6600, 4g RAM) at this point?
    I put Win 7 x64 on a machine just like that (now my wife uses it for video editing and she's even dabbling in Reaper and Live!, how cool is that?) Works great. Running some old Echo Audio hardware at a very decent latency. Win 7 x64 all the way...

My dilemma is about running the DAW app itself at x64 for maximum stability, but as for the OS, as long as you have solid drivers, go for it.

EDIT: And BTW, Reaktor installs and runs fine on Win 7 x64... just does not work 100% perfectly in my experience with BitBridge, jBridge and VST Bridge, unfortunately. I know people who SAY it works perfectly, but for me, it definitely does not. I have had various sync and patch issues with different ensembles. Anyway, that's my take on it... Now, if you ran Sonar x86 on Win 7 x64, you'd be running Reaktor without a Bridge, so you'd be good to go, 100%. That's precisely the type of issue I have been dealing with. Hope that makes sense.
    post edited by eratu - 2010/11/21 08:09:43
    eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:16:18 (permalink)
    mudgel

I can tell you that I use KOMLETE 7 from NI and have no problem using Reaktor which is still 32 bit. I'm not the power user that eratu is so perhaps haven't hit limitations that are there (if they are there at all) but have no problem running a few instances of all the KOMPLETE instruments and haven't broken into a sweat as yet. I also use SupDrummer 2.2.2 and  Independence 2.5 along with all the IKM plugins for guitar/fx and or synths as well as Stealth pedal.
    Line 6 POD XT Live, Ozone 4, alloy, t-racks 3 for mxing and mastering. I haven't found a thing yet to stop things from working, no hanging, no blue screens nothing at all except 100% working no matter what.

I use SONAR 8.5.3 x64 on VISTA SP2 at this time with 12 GIG DDR3 RAM and a Quadra 3800 nVidia graphics card (1 GIG) Its a mid range pro graphics card for 3D work and video rendering. Takes a big load away from the CPU but no reall benefit when using a DAW.

all the IK Multimedioa lugins are 32 bit but all work through Bitbridge without a hitch.

most of the NI plugins are now 64 bit except Reaktor bit it works 100% that i can tell.

after having a safety fall back to XP 32bit available it turns out that in a year I've not even booted into that partition.

I'vve now scrapped it and have installed WIN 7 x64 and now debating moving from what os working so well to maybe giving WIN 7 a try. While I can run iot as a dual boot with my stable VISTA OS I'll stay woth that untill such timethat WIN 7 proves to be at least that stable.

but 64 bit all the way for me.

caveat: I have 1 program for which I need to use SONAR 32 bit. I have along history of working with and using JAMMER which sadly wont run in a 64 bit host so when I want to muck around with it I use SONAR 32 bit. For anything serious though I'm now x64 all the way; My use of VISTA x64 began only a few weeks before SP 2 was released so I hardly had anytime with the pre SP2 problems. Smooth sailing all the way.

For the most part, I have a similar experience in x64 once I got the initial issues worked out... and my problems didn't start up again until my projects got really complex. The project in question that started to irritate me had something like 120 tracks (not all playing at once, of course, but still, plenty of action) -- maybe 20 instances of Omnisphere, tons of samples (Kontakt), tons and tons of WaveArts, FablFilter, and more -- all x64 native from good companies, (maybe 100-200 plugins total) all over the place... and weirdness ensues... It could really be ANY of the plugins... frankly this is the type of thing that could be caused by Sonar, Cubase, Windows, etc.... it's just frustrating to have all this power and run into strangeness when you really start pushing things.

Despite all that, I still have CPU headroom, so this is really a miraculous DAW in some respects... it just doesn't feel as solid as it should be. Man, now I sound really greedy. ;)

EDIT: Re: NI, I agree for the most part, but I am NOT getting a perfect experience with Reaktor. I continue to have issues, so I have now simply given up on running it inside an x64 host with a bridge. As soon as I think it's working right, I find out some tiny little thing is not right when I reload a project, or I flat-out have problems loading my original patches... and that only happens with one of the bridges. When I use it natively in x86 host, it works as it should. Maybe we're just using different types of ensembles... so it could be very much a case-by-base issue.
    post edited by eratu - 2010/11/21 08:18:43
    mudgel
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:16:36 (permalink)
    I completely skipped over his post. It wasn't until you mentioned it and I went back and saw it was freddie. You're right - unfortunately we do judge books by their covers and first impressions mean a lot. just a fact of life.

Anyway back to finding the balance between leveraging technology to make music and actually making music. When its all out of whack I pick up an acoustic guitar and just start playing. When that hits the spot I go back to leveraging the technology with a new lease of energy and a clearer perspective on things. But I do love the challenge that the technology presents. Some of us musos just can't help but love tinkering too.

I'll tell you a secret: sometimes; just sometimes mind you; The tinkerer in me beats the musician in me and he doesn't mind getting caught up in the technology even if he doesn't make a note of music. As long as he's enjoyed it I'm OK with that.
    But there's 2 hats.
    The party hat where I can play just for fun; music or tinkering whatever:
    then there's the working hat; still enjoyable but different priorities take over and you need to get the job done. Don't want to tinker then. It all has to come together and just work - the technology, the techniques, the workflow,the skills and of course the project, music video whatever.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:29:02 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Eratu,
    My solution has always been to keep it simple. That is true when I work with hardware in my daily work or software in my studio.

Yes, I TOTALLY agree with you... I've been trying to keep my x64 rigs very simple... (well, at least more simple than my old XP machines!). I've been trying to move away from using x86 plugins in my x64 projects just to avoid the inevitable minor goofiness I get with the bridges. Trust me on this one, I have POUNDED the four bridges out there... BitBridge, jBridge, VST Bridge and Reaper's Bridge. They all do the job to a certain degree (some better than others), and they are all very, very helpful when you need that certain x86 plugin... but in the end I have found my sessions to be more stable without ever touching them.

BTW, for the record, of all the bridges, Steinberg's VST Bridge is unquestionably the worst, and Cake's BitBridge is arguably the most flexible, although jBridge probably takes the win in some situations -- jBridge is an essential purchase for anyone making the transition to x64. Reaper's Bridge is surprisingly good... but still, they all seem to reduce stability to some degree.

Anyway, I agree with simplicity... I really have to re=think my workflow. I think I've tried to build my projects in a one-step process -- i.e.: write, produce, mix, and sometimes (yikes! I admit it!) even master within one project. I might have to break that down some more to avoid the plugin load... just don't know yet.

eratu
    Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/21 08:32:39 (permalink)
    ba_midi

it can get tiring to deal with the 'technology" as opposed to just making music.   But, sad to say - we really don't have a choice.  Unless we're ready to quit.

Not me.  I bet not you too ;)

<sigh> Yeah, I can't give up. I just wish I had the budget to afford an IT DAW guy that tested every plugin and driver to the death before it was allowed to be installed on my working system. :) This is part of my business, and I hate that so much time is invested in making things work!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! It costs me time and money when things go down the tubes.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1