**UPDATE** Dance The Night Away Featuring Robby on Vox (Van Halen Cover)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
2012/01/02 17:29:04 (permalink)

**UPDATE** Dance The Night Away Featuring Robby on Vox (Van Halen Cover)

Picked up Podfarm 2.5 over the Thanksgiving Holiday and finally got around to doing an experiment with it.  Decided to do an old Van Halen song to see how the Podfarm worked in a simple trio rock recording.  Only a few overdubs on this version.  Pretty happy with the sound quality.  There may be a few rough spots here and there but this was mainly a test run.  Tried to capture the early VH guitar sound, panned to the left with a little echo and reverb and light sound in the right channel.

I have to say after using most of the Amp sims out there with the exception of Amplitude, Podfarm is the best for my use.   I like Wave's GTR as well but find I have to record everything live with it rather than as a VST plug-in or it sounds thin.   The Pod doesn't seem to care whether you record live or capture the raw performance and use as a VST plug-in, in your FX Bin, which gives a lot more flexibility to tweak the sound, amp, effects, etc, later.

Comments welcome.  Thx for the listen.  

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1014791

Edit-updated with vocal version to replace previous instrumental backing track.
post edited by markno999 - 2012/01/15 20:59:23

52 Replies Related Threads

Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/02 18:06:13 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty good Mark.
    For me, I could use a bit more grit with the patch.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/02 18:12:45 (permalink)
    Sounds great, I wish I was listening on fonez so I could tell better if you captured that Eddie VH sound. Sounds pretty good though :-) 

I heard that even the great Les Paul himself was inspired by Mr. Van Halen...

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/02 19:24:18 (permalink)
    Nice job of capturing the VH vibe.  Having the ability to do this at any hour of the day is invaluable in regard to the Podfarm.  Well done.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/02 20:43:43 (permalink)
    Way to go Mark! Sounds close enough to me and I'm in a VH tribute band. :) I enjoy it better when people give their take on something "in the flavor of". Being exact is....I dunno...kinda creepy to me. LOL! I have a few VH covers I hope to post up soon that I'm doing with the tribute band. This was really good though man....convincing enough for me...great tone and playing! :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    markno999
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/02 21:11:43 (permalink)
    Bruce - Thanks for the comment.  I think/hope I will get a more gritty full sound with tweaking the mix here and there.   I think there is enough distortion for Eddie's style but it is lacking the mix placement, and of course, Eddie's playing;)

Robby - Thanks for the listen, I actually played this one on my Les Paul;)  No kidding.   Now if I had your pipes I would be in business with a real cover song.

Lynn - Thank you for the comment.   Loving the Podfarm so far, it is so verstile with the clean sounds too.    I am working on a Jazz/Rock verison of Stardust so hope to post that pretty soon.

Danny - That is a compliment coming from you.  Look forward to hearing your VH posts...   This is probably one of the easier VH songs which is why I picked it.     I usually do like to put my spin on things but I don't really feel like I can improve anything on Eddie's rendition so just copied it pretty much as best I could.  I was a huge VH fan growing up, when VH 1 hit in 1977 I had just picked up my first guitar and started lessons.  Probably listened to all their albums through Fair Warning hundreds of times.  So those songs are engrained in my brain and tough to deviate from.   I get what you are saying though.  This little exercise was more of an experiment to see if I could approximate the sound.  I stumbled across the Whole Lotta Love preset in Podfarm 2.5 and imagined it would sound pretty close to Eddie if I swapped the amp they had, with a Plexi and slightly tweaked the delay.   That is how this project started.  Thanks for the listen and comment.    P.S. Your latest rap project with Philip was amazing.
    bandontherun19
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/02 23:32:52 (permalink)
    Hey, I can sing Van Hagar? :-D

As long as it's not too insane? And in the right key? And there's not too much screaming going on? And it's early in the week? But not too early in the day? And I would need to be both sufficiently caffeinated and dosed with various other substances?

It's a process...
    post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/01/02 23:39:13

----------
    bandontherun19
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/03 00:28:30 (permalink)
    Mark, The forum SW would not allow me to respond to a PM...

edit, tried again and it appears to have gone through.
    post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/01/03 01:23:00

----------
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/03 07:55:33 (permalink)
    markno999

Danny - That is a compliment coming from you.  Look forward to hearing your VH posts...   This is probably one of the easier VH songs which is why I picked it.     I usually do like to put my spin on things but I don't really feel like I can improve anything on Eddie's rendition so just copied it pretty much as best I could.  I was a huge VH fan growing up, when VH 1 hit in 1977 I had just picked up my first guitar and started lessons.  Probably listened to all their albums through Fair Warning hundreds of times.  So those songs are engrained in my brain and tough to deviate from.   I get what you are saying though.  This little exercise was more of an experiment to see if I could approximate the sound.  I stumbled across the Whole Lotta Love preset in Podfarm 2.5 and imagined it would sound pretty close to Eddie if I swapped the amp they had, with a Plexi and slightly tweaked the delay.   That is how this project started.  Thanks for the listen and comment.    P.S. Your latest rap project with Philip was amazing.
    Ah we can always improve in anything brother. But...in some cases, like in this song for example, it's not really needed. I'll show you a few things where I kinda pushed the envelope a bit...lol...it fits though. Glad to know there's another VH fan in our group here. :) Mmm Fair Warning...one of my faves!

I know what you mean about the experimenting thing with sounds. I do it all the time...I call it lab work. You got a healthy tone out of that rig...definitely worth keeping. Looking forward to some other stuff you can do with your new toy man. And if by chance ya want a few more VH backings, send me a pm bro and I'll hook you up with a few you may enjoy. I've managed to tune them all to standard though because that half step down thing always annoyed me...so they are at 440, but if you are interested, let me know and I'll zip a few up for you.

Thanks for the kind words on our tune....glad ya liked it. A little something different for a change. I always have a blast with Philip...great writer...great guy. Thanks again Mark...great job on this tune. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/03 12:29:40 (permalink)
    Nice playing and the sound is pretty close. You may have it correct but it would take Eddie to make it sound like him.

Very well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/03 17:06:21 (permalink)
    After trying various things I was never happy with the sound compared to a real amp.  Of course I'm not trying to get a ton of different guitar tones, just a few.  They all had some nice effects but most I couldn't use and those I liked wore off on me shortly after I started using them.  I haven't tried AxeFX but that has some great professional reviews and it might be the box that finally gets the digital thing right.  In my mind I don't know why they couldn't make a digital box that sounds like an amp, or 11 different amps.  The AxeFx is the price of boutique amp ($2000), but if its everything they say it is, it would be money well spent. 

I'm not much of an authority on EVH (I was playing Eagles stuff when EVH hit the scene) but the tone sounds a little "thin" to me, which has generally been my experience with those units.  Your playing is damn fine though!

James (of Slow Marching Band) gets the best sound I've heard from digital unit.  I belive he has the Boss rack-mount unit or their largest floor unit, I can't remember for sure.  But you might shoot him an email.

Of course you could always go out and buy a Marshall stack, a blackface Twin Reverb, and few boutique amps... that shouldn't set you back more than 10 - 15 grand.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/03 19:29:19 (permalink)
    Though it shouldn't matter, I find that the live recording I get direct from the POD X3 I use always sounds better than POD Farm VST.

But since I am a pretty clumsy guitarist, I usually just record it dry, fix it up nice and use POD Farm!
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/04 08:18:47 (permalink)
    Mark that sounds great!  The tones your are getting are excellent.  I also like the tone of your bass in the backing track.
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/05 21:01:35 (permalink)
    Sounds great to me!  What are you using for drums?  They sound great to me!

I'm sure Danny or Robby or some other insane singer around here could lay down a sweet vox track for you if you wanted one.  :)  
    bandontherun19
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/05 22:23:00 (permalink)
    It comes... It's a stretch? But it comes.

----------
    markno999
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/05 23:46:17 (permalink)
    Guitarpima -Thanks for the comment. 

Daryl-Thanks for the listen, I suspect the thin-ness comes from my mix.    Many others are getting great results with the PODfarm stuff. I am going to get some assistance mixing rock guitars.   I have considered the Axe-fx but I am too cheap to part with 2k for a guitar effect;)  One of these days I am going to do an Eagles song.  Really liked your recent original.  That was a cool song.

James-thanks for the comment.  I am actually recording wet and dry.  I have channel 1-2 from the UX2 going wet and channel 3-4 going dry and then recording to 2 tracks in Sonar.   That way I have some flexibility if I want to change out the amp or effects later, or, in this case, mix two settings together.   I have a second track in the background of this VH song with a little different EQ and delay.

Geno-Thanks.   Bass is Trillian as always;)  I used some of the EQ tips you shared with me on our recent collab.    I also tempo mapped this song so it follows the original pretty darn close.  I have been doing that lately to make it sound more authentic.

Janet - Thanks for the comment.  The main drums are Superior Drummer.  The percussion is a combination of EZDrummer Latin Percussion and my Yamaha Motif blended together.  Robby is actually working on vocals.  Your collab with him was really great.  He Ain't Heavy....wow..
    bandontherun19
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/06 01:25:42 (permalink)
    The jumper cables really hurt... :-(

----------
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/08 13:50:18 (permalink)
    Nice job on capturing the vibe and playing was excellent!! Been a while since I heard this tune. Drums sound nice 'n tight.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    bandontherun19
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/08 18:31:31 (permalink)
    Per the link in my sig? "No more covers if this bill passes..." Contact your representatives, this is insane!

The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for 10 pieces of music or movies within six months.

----------
    markno999
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/15 21:02:26 (permalink)
    Robby (bandontherun19) graciously accepted the challenge to sing this Van Halen cover.  All lead and backing vox are compliments of him.  I had previously posted this as a backing track only and have now updated the links with this vocal version.  This project started as an experiment with my new Podfarm 2.5 software and finally morphed to this cover.. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1014791
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/15 21:21:35 (permalink)
    Not his usual style, but I knew Robby could more than do this justice.  Sounds like he was having fun with it too.  Really cool guys!  Made me smile.  :)  
    bandontherun19
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/15 21:22:11 (permalink)
    :-) Thanks for the opportunity Mark, although you tortured me? I enjoyed it in the end. Kind of like an S&M summer camp? Or that scene from Dirty Harry where the bad guy hires someone to beat him? "Oh you really do want 300 dollars worth, don't you?" Who did this to you, "big guy, homicide detective, Callahan! (aka, "markno999") 

Thanks again, and I'm pretty sure you only fired 5 shots?
    post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/01/15 21:48:48

----------
    Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/15 21:44:56 (permalink)
    This is good stuff and great performances.  Killer job guys!

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

markno999
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/15 22:26:36 (permalink)
     Janet - Thx for the listen.   I think everyone should venture outside their usual style every now and then;)   He did a great job...

Robby - Glad you enjoyed the experience;)  I am a huge Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) fan by the way so appreciate the analogy;)   Probably wasn't quite as painful as the beating Scorpio took in Dirty Harry though.

Luke - Thanks for the comment.  Appreciate it.
    bandontherun19
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/15 23:24:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Luke :-) Still on my recommended list! (for a reason...)

----------
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/16 07:19:21 (permalink)
    Awesome job, one of my favorite VH covers. Great tone and performance on the guitar, great job on the vocals Robby

Me

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/16 08:27:50 (permalink)
    Great Vocals Robby!   You've nailed all the inflections just right.

The drums sound really good - the mix seems brighter now - not sure if it's just my imagination, 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/16 08:33:57 (permalink)
    with the vocals added ...this rocks.

Robby's vox on this song are IMHO, the best vocal performance I have heard him do. And all the while I thought he was a love song/ballad kinda guy. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Dance The Night Away Backing Track (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/16 10:53:28 (permalink)
    Well I need to weigh in on this again.
    I no longer think the guitar needs more grit, as it sounds fine as is.
    Robbys vocal work adds a whole new dimension to this.
    This is a most excellent cover gents.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:**UPDATE** Dance The Night Away Featuring Robby on Vox (Van Halen Cover) 2012/01/16 11:38:29 (permalink)
    Never heard the original, VH kind of passed me by really, but this sounds pretty darn good to me.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1