Upgrading to Sonar X3: a rock / me / hard place

Author
cci8j
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/01/23 14:25:32 (permalink)

Upgrading to Sonar X3: a rock / me / hard place

Hi everyone!

I wanted to probe the collective advice from the support forums regarding purchasing Sonar X3 Producer, and the particular licensing situation I find myself in... Perhaps my licensing path through the Cakewalk family of products is fairly uncommon, but I find that the only compelling variant of Sonar X3 is Producer (based on what I already own), yet I don't seem to qualify for the more substantial discounts that a previous Producer licensee would have, even though I have a great many of the components separately licensed already.

For example, I already own these items:
  • Project 5 full and Music Creator 6 Touch
  • Session Drummer 2, Sound Center, etc. bundled VSTs and even older DXIs
  • Z3TA+ 2 (full)
  • Dimension LE and Dimension Pro
  • Rapture LE and Rapture Pro
  • AAS Strum Acoustic Session
I should mention that I am a user of Project 5, one of the discontinued products. Additionally, I am a Music Creator 6 Touch user, so I'm already enjoying the Skylight interface, and I have most of the instruments already offered by Sonar 3. Given this situation, I think that Producer is really the only game for me-- otherwise, I'd be investing money to get "lesser" versions of the synths and stuff.

I get that Sonar X3 is good; I'm pretty happy overall with the product line, and I like the stuff I have. I mainly want to get back into the "general stream" of product innovation. So much marketing effort crosses my desk, I feel out of step. Additionally, Cakewalk have long offered capable ancillary products in their suites (so there's a lot of VSTs there), and I've built out a lot with libraries and such.  Lastly, even though they're not Cakewalk products, I already own Melodyne full, so the new ARA integration has piqued my interest; I'm sure the iZotope items I've licensed through the store also work well in this environment.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you if you're in a similar situation, perhaps what you think of my lot, and whether you think I should leap or stay put? Given what I own, would X3 Producer be wildly different than Creator 6 Touch? How so? Am I crazy to think that I have a large part of the overall value already licensed? Feel free to call me out.

Thanks for your time, and your patience getting through this post!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Upgrading to Sonar X3: a rock / me / hard place 2014/01/23 15:01:57 (permalink)
The basic version would get you unlimited tracks and ARA integration. If you are running the current version of Melodyne, it will integrate into the basic version of X3. There also the updated Session Drummer. With the 32bit version all of your plug-ins will work. Moving to the 64bit version will lose practically all of the DX plug-ins. Both 32bit and 64bit versions may be installed and run on the same machine.

One thing to consider with Studio and Producer is they come with a license for Melodyne Essential which can be resold to recoup some of the upgrade cost. In addition to everything in the basic version, the Studio version includes is a limited version of ProChannel, the Nomad Blue Tubes suite and a few other plug-ins. If you are interested in the ProChannel, however; Producer is the best option because some of the ProChannel modules are not available to Studio users. And Producer includes the full version of Addictive Drums which many consider a step up from Session Drummer.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Upgrading to Sonar X3: a rock / me / hard place 2014/01/26 17:42:54 (permalink)
You don't mention your location, so I'm not 100% sure what your upgrade prices are, but as far as I know, if you bought X3 base version and then later decided you wanted producer after all the combined cost of buying both seperately would be the same as if you just bought producer now, so you won't lose out in that scenario. If you already own melodyne then you will still get the ARA integration with X3 basic version, so you could always buy the base one now and wait a few months for the usual big price discounts to kick in later in the year as the new version looms (usually june/july) which will save you a fair bit and also put you in the best price upgrade path when the inevitable X4 appears.

I don't know much about MC6 to be able to compare, but the X3 demo is available now, so the best thing would be to download that and see for yourself.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Upgrading to Sonar X3: a rock / me / hard place 2014/01/26 21:02:00 (permalink)
Here's another trick. It involves the purchase of any hardware that includes Sonar X1 LE. 
So if you find yourself in the market for a new Interface or in my case I needed a new Controller. I bought the Roland ( Cakewalk) A 49 for $139 can. It came with Sonar X1 LE. 
A few days after I registered I got an offer for upgrade to X3 Studio for only $99. I think I will do this even though I don't want or need to upgrade, I might as well take the opportunity.

So there is value added when you purchase certain products that come with basic software. 

PS- Sonar X1 LE is a bit of a turd as it comes with only 2 very sad Soft synths. I installed it on my office computer just out of curiosity. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1